PDA

View Full Version : How successful do you think Stafford will be? And why?

whatadai
04-25-2009, 12:49 AM
So since he's going to the Lions now how successful do you think he'll be? I know there are a lot of factors we don't know but we can always speculate and predict. The Lions also have the tendency to destroy players with plenty of potential. What do you think will happen to Stafford say...3 years and 10 years from now?

whatadai
04-25-2009, 12:58 AM
3x MVP, 4 Super Bowls, Lock for HOF, Breaks all major passing records, regarded as the greatest quarterback of all-time.

When you say 4 Super Bowls, you mean with another team right?

whatadai
04-25-2009, 01:04 AM
No, I was talking about his rookie season only so it would have to be with the Lions...

6 year contract...you won't be seeing those 4 rings on his hand for awhile.

I'm surprised you didn't say rookie of the year as one of his accomplishments.

OneToughGame
04-25-2009, 01:09 AM
6 year contract...you won't be seeing those 4 rings on his hand for awhile.

I'm surprised you didn't say rookie of the year as one of his accomplishments.

Jarrett Dillard gets ROY. ;)

PossibleCabbage
04-25-2009, 01:11 AM
About an average NFL starter, but nothing special. Won't win any championships unless Detroit surrounds him with talent on both sides of the ball.

Nalej
04-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Somewhere between a Pro Bowler and Joey Harrington.

I really do hope he succeeds. I'm sick of seeing the Lions suck.
They have some nice pieces and I think they could be very exciting to watch

jsa230
04-25-2009, 01:50 AM
ROTY isn't totally out of the question, he could put up some big number throwing to cj.

Stafford will be a pro bowler, maybe he gets an Mvp, but he won't be HoF

wicket
04-25-2009, 01:51 AM
depending on his situation obviously, but the kid is gonna be good.

Cicero
04-25-2009, 01:57 AM
It depends who pick 20 is.

vidae
04-25-2009, 02:02 AM
If they fix that offensive line I like his chances to be great. Kevin Smith was good last year and CJ is out of this world. If they fix that offensive line and get some playmakers on defense, watch out.

Addict
04-25-2009, 02:05 AM
well if Stafford pans out and the Lions FO makes a few solid decision in the coming years, anything could happen really. I mean, I know the Lions are pretty much perennial non-contenders, but with Stafford and CJ at least we have a solid combo of elite talent to work with.

whatadai
04-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Somewhere between a Pro Bowler and Joey Harrington.

I really do hope he succeeds. I'm sick of seeing the Lions suck.
They have some nice pieces and I think they could be very exciting to watch

Stafford. Johnson. Smith.

3/53 nice pieces doesn't do much.

Addict
04-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Stafford. Johnson. Smith.

3/53 nice pieces doesn't do much.

Backus played pretty well last year. Cherilus is young and could be a decent enough RT.

I know the Lions aren't that good, but that kind of comment is just uncalled for.

CC.SD
04-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Very. Why??

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2008/02/071021-calvinjohnson-touchdown.jpg

ShoeLB50
04-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Stafford might not even see the field his first year as crazy as it sounds... Mayhew has a hard on for Culpepper and suposedly he lost 30lbs and looks really good in camp. Obviously Stafford is the future but they might want to wait untill that offensive line is fixed to throw in their new investment.

Addict
04-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Stafford might not even see the field his first year as crazy as it sounds... Mayhew has a hard on for Culpepper and suposedly he lost 30lbs and looks really good in camp. Obviously Stafford is the future but they might want to wait untill that offensive line is fixed to throw in their new investment.

doesn't sound that crazy. Palmer didn't start his first year. Russel shouldn't have. Ryan and Flacco, being rookie starters, are the exception, not the rule.

San Diego Chicken
04-25-2009, 03:32 AM
I see Stafford eventually putting up big numbers, and I see Detroit having an explosive offense for the future, like they had in the mid 90's with Sanders, Moore, Perriman, Morton. Only Stafford will be the Scott Mitchell from '95, and not the regular Scott Mitchell from every other year. However, this defense is far worse than those bad Lions defenses from years past, and it is going to be a long term project to rebuild it.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2009, 04:59 AM
I honestly don't know yet...If you bring him along slowly, and build the offensive line up(similiar to what Miami is doing with Henne) then he will make a few pro bowls, but if they just throw him out there and never address the line it won't be pretty.

Protect your investment, let Culpepper take the lumps, then go into next off-season and see if you can find a Guard or two in Free Agency and at least make sure he has time...If you give Stafford time I think he'll dominate.

stephenson86
04-25-2009, 05:03 AM
37,567 yards. 59% completion. 3:2 TD:INT ratio. 4 pro bowls.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-25-2009, 05:22 AM
In his prime, I see Stafford maxing out as a top ten NFL QB, who puts up very good numbers, but whether or not Detroit wins games will depend on how well Mayhew stocks the rest of the team.

For his own development, I hope Stafford doesn't start until sometime after the first 8 games.

BandwagonPunditry
04-25-2009, 07:29 AM
In his prime, I see Stafford maxing out as a top ten NFL QB, who puts up very good numbers, but whether or not Detroit wins games will depend on how well Mayhew stocks the rest of the team.

For his own development, I hope Stafford doesn't start until sometime after the first 8 games.

They have to sit him for the season and build more weapons around him. The potential to 'Alex Smith' him is just too great...

Burger
04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
He'll be the biggest Bust since Alex Smith, if the Lions dont get another weapon next to Calvin. He'll be a decent quarterback, but just decent.

JRTPlaya21
04-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I think he will have an Eli Manning type of career. Already has one of the most explosive wideouts on his team. They just need some more pieces & maybe to relocate to another city lol.

E-Man
04-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I think he'll be average to just above average with a great wideout. Of course I do have the inclination to scream bust due to him playing with the Lions, but I think they'll make sure not to throw him to the wolves. I see him starting next year or the year after that, but I was never that impressed with the guy to begin with. Of course I was never really impressed with Matt Ryan in college either so take that for what it's worth.

ColdBeer4Me
04-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Less than spectacular. The weeks heading up to the draft I was a fan, but now his fate has been sealed being selected by a perennial cellar dweller. I see his career going the way of Joey Harrington. So in 3 years he will be solidly entrenced as the starter and 10 years more than likely out of the NFL.

whatadai
04-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Backus played pretty well last year. Cherilus is young and could be a decent enough RT.

I know the Lions aren't that good, but that kind of comment is just uncalled for.

Backus is inconsistent and can't pass block if his quarterback's life depends on it, and it does.

Cherilus showed no improvement in my opinion, and like most offensive linemen that the Lions draft high, he can't pass block either.

If those two are his tackles, I guarantee you it will slow down his growth.

TitleTown088
04-29-2009, 05:10 PM
He'll always play second fiddle.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/29/290371.jpg

http://www.zap2it.com/media/photo/2009-01/44753884.jpg

toonsterwu
04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
While I still have time ...

I think people are somewhat underrating the offensive cast of the Lions. Pettigrew is a solid TE, they have WR depth that matchs their OC's preferences, and they have a decent 2nd back. No, the OL isn't great, but as we've seen in recent years, continuity is as important as top talent. A line of Backus/Loper/Raiola/Peterman/Cherilus can be solid for the QB, and can be solid in the run game.

Now, I don't think Stafford should be put in there. As much as I was lukewarm on Stafford, the bashing on him got ridiculous late. He's a solid prospect, the best prospect this year, the guy with the most ready ability to step in ... including Sanchez. With Sanchez, you have to simplify your offense if you put him in there. But now, overall, no QB from this year should even be remotely considered for a starting job for most of the year, outside of maybe a game or two late in the year.

I think he can be quite successful in that scheme. Linehan has a very QB friendly scheme, and if they can establish the run, Stafford could excel in time. Yes, their OL still needs work, but the supporting cast is better than people are giving it credit for. That said, tis early and a lot of variables could occur (for example, maybe Linehan moves on. Alex Smith probably would've had a better shot had Norv been there).

hockey619
04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
About an average NFL starter, but nothing special. Won't win any championships unless Detroit surrounds him with talent on both sides of the ball.

I used to hate him, but i think this is the best evaluation.

I see him as similair to Eli in a lot of ways and i think with talent around him he can shine and learn to carry the team but early one hes gunna need to time to gain confidence and fix his accuracy as he develops.

pr0d1gy
04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
OK guys, didn't read the other posts but, as some of you know, I went to UGA and follow them religiously; thus I should chime in with some truth here.

Stafford is a truly special talent, there is no question that he was the #1 pick in this draft to anyone who has watched this guy play. He really did not have the huge career here that we hoped for, mostly due to poor line play and relying on young WR's, but I will say this. I have seen so many QB's play the game and this guy would just make throws that would drop my jaw and make me say "Wow, dude did you just see that throw?"

Stafford has that special Elway, Favre, Vick type of arm with ideal size for the NFL, having excellent physical maturity for a rookie QB. He can be effective in a limited role running out of the pocket and making plays. Obviously, he is no Steve Young but there is some Elway/Marino-esque athleticism in this kid.

Personally speaking, he has always seemed like a really level headed kid, but you never know. He does have a problem with reading the entire field, possibly due to the poor line play here, but this can obviously be corrected by an intelligent QB. This is the big question mark, though. How smart is this kid? If nothing else, Matt Ryan proved to me how extremely important intelligence, and a quick trigger with said smarts, is to the success for an NFL QB.

Stafford could be one of the best QB's the game has ever seen, unfortunately the Lions picked him and we remember what they did to the greatest RB of our generation.

quincyyyyy
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
How successful was Joey Harrington?

whatadai
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
mostly due to poor line play and relying on young WR's, but I will say this.

Sounds like the Lions. Except for the fact that he has Megatron now.

quincyyyyy
04-29-2009, 09:32 PM
OK guys, didn't read the other posts but, as some of you know, I went to UGA and follow them religiously; thus I should chime in with some truth here.

Stafford is a truly special talent, there is no question that he was the #1 pick in this draft to anyone who has watched this guy play. He really did not have the huge career here that we hoped for, mostly due to poor line play and relying on young WR's, but I will say this. I have seen so many QB's play the game and this guy would just make throws that would drop my jaw and make me say "Wow, dude did you just see that throw?"

Stafford has that special Elway, Favre, Vick type of arm with ideal size for the NFL, having excellent physical maturity for a rookie QB. He can be effective in a limited role running out of the pocket and making plays. Obviously, he is no Steve Young but there is some Elway/Marino-esque athleticism in this kid.

Personally speaking, he has always seemed like a really level headed kid, but you never know. He does have a problem with reading the entire field, possibly due to the poor line play here, but this can obviously be corrected by an intelligent QB. This is the big question mark, though. How smart is this kid? If nothing else, Matt Ryan proved to me how extremely important intelligence, and a quick trigger with said smarts, is to the success for an NFL QB.

Stafford could be one of the best QB's the game has ever seen, unfortunately the Lions picked him and we remember what they did to the greatest RB of our generation.

Emmit Smith was on the Cowboys... Duh!

pr0d1gy
04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Emmit Smith was on the Cowboys... Duh!

Hahahahah yeah dude Emmitt could not hold Barry Sanders' jock and even he would tell you that.

CC.SD
04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
37,567 yards. 59% completion. 3:2 TD:INT ratio. 4 pro bowls.

What if this came true, omg that would be INSANE.

BigBanger
04-29-2009, 11:11 PM
That offensive line is utter garbage and Backus is terrible, so they need to get him a franchise LT... Russell Okung, possibly.

No team over the last three has given up more sacks to DEs than the Detroit Lions. Their OTs are terrible and Backus sucks. Cherilus needs to step it up.

He'll put up some numbers with CJ there and Pettigrew is a nice player that will help that offensive line and run blocking.

Crickett
04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I say he will be a three time pro bowler, all pro, win four Lombardi trophys and break the single game, season and career passing records.

As a rookie.

the decider13
04-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Calvin Johnson will do better with him...but Stafford can't do too much if he is molested by d-line every other play. But I will say this:

Stafford>Andre Ware

so that is a step in the right direction

JHG722
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Comparable to Matt Hasselbeck

lotusfather
04-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Lions need to sit him this year and let Culpepper take the beating. They need to improve the O-line before he gets on the field either through the draft or free agency. Get another good reciever.

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Comparable to Matt Hasselbeck

Is this serious? Do people really think this about Stafford? :confused:

Mr. Stiller
04-30-2009, 02:14 AM
I see Jake Delhomme.

A few good to great seasons, with several inconsistent ones in between

OneToughGame
04-30-2009, 02:22 AM

Career wise that isn't a bad thing.

BRAVEHEART
04-30-2009, 02:52 AM
People Underestimate Kevin Smith, dude got better as the season went on. He's also one of the few work-horse backs in the league.

I'm a homer, but If the offensive line is just ok or above average this is how I see it.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/41/419664.jpghttps://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/media/sidepromo/standard/troy_aikman_1.jpg

http://blog.mlive.com/lions_impact/2008/04/medium_johnson20.jpghttp://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2007-02-03-irvin.jpg

http://blog.mlive.com/twominutedrill/2008/08/medium_ksmith07.jpghttp://www.emmittsmith22.com/img/player.png

Cicero
04-30-2009, 03:01 AM
He needs a real LT before they throw him into the fire. They are asking for him to bust if they put him back there now.

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 05:35 AM
I see Jake Delhomme.

A few good to great seasons, with several inconsistent ones in between

Where do you people come up with this stuff? He has Elway-like talents, so why do people keep putting his name next to these severely physically limited QB's? I just don't get it. I see there are a lot of people who have read a lot of posts about Stafford that were written by children playing NCAA2008 instead of grown men watching Stafford play.

OneToughGame, that would be an awful thing if this kid ended up being like that. He is the #1 overall pck and the most physically gifted QB since Vick....plus this guy can actually pass from the pocket, something Vick never figured out.

The comments I see here are just flat out disturbing, I mean how can you guys be so terribly misinformed?

BRAVEHEART
04-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Where do you people come up with this stuff? He has Elway-like talents, so why do people keep putting his name next to these severely physically limited QB's? I just don't get it. I see there are a lot of people who have read a lot of posts about Stafford that were written by children playing NCAA2008 instead of grown men watching Stafford play.

OneToughGame, that would be an awful thing if this kid ended up being like that. He is the #1 overall pck and the most physically gifted QB since Vick....plus this guy can actually pass from the pocket, something Vick never figured out.

The comments I see here are just flat out disturbing, I mean how can you guys be so terribly misinformed?

Jarmacus trumps him from a physical standpoint, but I like Stafford as a prospect a whole lot more.

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Jarmacus trumps him from a physical standpoint, but I like Stafford as a prospect a whole lot more.

I don't think Jarmarcus is nearly as agile in the pocket, and I think he might be slower than Stafford...but I might be wrong on that one. Either way, there hasn't been a better pocket QB prospect coming out of college in years & years.

Stafford could easily be the next great NFL QB if he is hungry enough to be that guy. That is the only really big question with Stafford, how bad does he want to be great in the NFL?

Halsey
04-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Good QB's make an offensive line look better just like bad QB's make the line look worse. Ever notice how good QB's almost always seem to have good lines in front of them. A good QB makes quick decisions, gets rid of the ball fast, reads the defense to audible if necessary and knows how to move around in the pocket. Don't be surprised if the Detroit line magically starts playing better when and if Stafford develops into a quality NFL QB. KInd of like Atlanta's line did last year.

I'll go ahead and get this out of the way: "but, but Atlanta added Sam Baker! That's why their line played better!"

Sam Baker missed like 8 games last year and was dealing with health issues when he did play, so don't try to say he's the single reason the line played better.

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Good QB's make an offensive line look better just like bad QB's make the line look worse. Ever notice how good QB's almost always seem to have good lines in front of them. A good QB makes quick decisions, gets rid of the ball fast, reads the defense to audible if necessary and knows how to move around in the pocket. Don't be surprised if the Detroit line magically starts playing better when and if Stafford develops into a quality NFL QB. KInd of like Atlanta's line did last year.

I'll go ahead and get this out of the way: "but, but Atlanta added Sam Baker! That's why their line played better!"

Sam Baker missed like 8 games last year and was dealing with health issues when he did play, so don't try to say he's the single reason the line played better.

Nope, Baker had little to do with the improvement, although he played very well in the playoff game. After watching Joey "gimme a few more seconds" Harrington, then seeing Matt Ryan at work, it is plainly obvious that a QB can take a lot of pressure off himself and the O line by making quick decisions.

This is not currently Stafford's strong point but, as I said, he has everything you want in a #1 overall QB pick. The Lions should be very happy with selecting him.

nepg
04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Mayhew sucks. I don't expect anything from Stafford, and I never have.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 09:28 AM
People Underestimate Kevin Smith, dude got better as the season went on. He's also one of the few work-horse backs in the league.

I'm a homer, but If the offensive line is just ok or above average this is how I see it.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/41/419664.jpghttps://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/media/sidepromo/standard/troy_aikman_1.jpg

http://blog.mlive.com/lions_impact/2008/04/medium_johnson20.jpghttp://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2007-02-03-irvin.jpg

http://blog.mlive.com/twominutedrill/2008/08/medium_ksmith07.jpghttp://www.emmittsmith22.com/img/player.png
too bad they played behind one of the best OL ever

whatadai
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
I say he will be a three time pro bowler...win four Lombardi trophys

As a rookie.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bitonti
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Very. Why??

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2008/02/071021-calvinjohnson-touchdown.jpg

mega tron really is the key to Stafford's success

if He didn't have that player to rely upon, he likely busts

but with Calvin Johnson it could be a very exciting combo.

JHG722
04-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Is there something wrong with Matt Hasselbeck? :confused:

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Mayhew sucks. I don't expect anything from Stafford, and I never have.

Of course you don't, the Lions drafted him. That said, he is a far cry from the David Carr's and Alex Smith's of the world, so I don't get all the people in here talking down on him and comparing him to very limited, albeit successful, QB's in the league now.

Addict
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Stafford will be fine if they get a top pass blocking LT next year. I'm guessing that if all goes (reasonably well) he could end up getting a few years of 3,500-4,500 yards, 30-35 TDs. If all goes well.

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 02:38 PM
He has Marino-esque ability, has a bit slower release but his arm strength might be even better. His arm is beyond reproach. He has good mobility and has usually made good decisions.

The answer to the question of this thread is, like any other QB, he will fare as well as the rest of his team does. He could be out of the NFL after a few years with the Lions or he could be a huge star like Troy was in Dallas. Only time will tell, but he has a lot more Troy about his personna than Leaf, Carr, Smith, etc. have all had rolled together. He isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch but he has that gunslinger ability, BUT Richt did a great job of teaching him to control it and use it to his advantage.

Stafford was as sure a #1 overall QB as there could be, not named Manning, and if Detroit had passed on him the entire football nation would have laughed at them even more than when they took those WR's all those years. They made the correct choice, but his career will depend on their ability to keep making good decisions to help him or him leaving after his rookie contract is up a la Steve Young.