PDA

View Full Version : Colts' 2009 Draft

Geo
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Draft weekend is finally here. Discuss the picks.

Geo
04-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Three mocks, including Mike Mayock's, have the Colts taking James Laurinaitis. Interesting.

I'd love the pick of course, especially for the Colts to like him enough to draft him in the 1st round. I wonder if he doesn't beat Gary Brackett for the starting MLB spot in camp. Although I would like to see Adam Seward compete for the job, I have a gut feeling he has some promise.

And guys like Brian Robiskie or Ziggy Hood could contribute in more needy areas.

Can't wait for whoever it is.

Best of luck to the Colts in getting the best possible players.

Geo
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
9 picks until the Colts are up!

MaxV
04-25-2009, 05:42 PM
UGGGGHHHH.

I hate the Falcons!

We should've traded up.

UKfan
04-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Gutted we lost out on Jerry, I hope we don't settle for Ziggy at 27, Beanie maybe? Baby Animal? Nicks? Robiskie? We have options I guess...

MaxV
04-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't think picking Ziggy here is "settling". He could turn out to be the best of the bunch playing for our system.

UKfan
04-25-2009, 06:00 PM
He's a need, and a decent fit, but I don't feel the value is there at 27 for him. I'd prefer Marks in the second rather than Ziggy in the first, but in Polian I trust.

MaxV
04-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Donald Brown apparently.

Hmmm.

I hope he becomes a great one.

psulion21
04-25-2009, 06:01 PM
im happy we took him over beanie alot better value and overall ability

UKfan
04-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Brown, do not like. at. all.

Geo
04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm speechless right now.

Other than saying Gosselin nailed it in his Top 100 yet another year.

UKfan
04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm just disappointed in it, I trust Polian, but man, I don't think Brown would be in my top 5 players I would want out of those available here...

MaxV
04-25-2009, 06:09 PM
It's not a bad pick.

This guy sounds like this year's Forte, maybe even better.

We were dead last in rushing last year (although tiny O-Line had something to do with that).

UKfan
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I pin the rushing game on the O-line, Addai had no holes whatsoever, he offers everything Brown offers IMO.

Geo
04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Draft Vignette: Donald Brown (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8d7a1)
Donald Brown on set (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fec5fb)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/40771.html

Donald Brown
SELECTED BY: Colts Round 1 (27)
RB Junior Connecticut Big East 5-10.5, 211 4.50

BIOGRAPHY: Named 2008 Big East Offensive Player of the Year after posting career numbers of 367/2,187/18 on the ground and 21/125 as a pass catcher. Junior rushing totals included 170/821/8 with 14 receptions for 85 yards. Initially,awarded all-Conference honors as a freshman when he posted 161/896/7 on the ground.

POSITIVES: Well rounded ball carrier with a versatile game. Displays outstanding vision, ball carrying instincts and patience. Waits for blocks to develop, immediately finds the running lanes and displays terrific open field running skills. Creates his own yardage, makes defenders miss and displays terrific footwork with the ability to sidestep or avoid piles. Runs with a compact style, outstanding balance, body control and tough to knock off his feet. Flashes power on the inside with the ability to breaks several tackles and pick up yardage off initial contact. Effectively uses a straight arm to keep plays alive and shows the ability to pick up the tough yardage. Easily turns the corner, cuts back against the grain and loses little momentum when he must immediately alter his running angle. Solid pass catcher out of the backfield.

NEGATIVES: Never really carried the load until his junior season. May not have the size or ability to be used as a short yardage runner in the NFL.

ANALYSIS: Brown has been very productive in college showing steady progress and an all-around game. He can be used in a variety of systems at the next level and his versatility makes it difficult to characterize him as a specific type of ball carrier. He may start his career as a rotational running back yet could quickly grow into a teams prime ball carrier.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8936.html

Donald Brown
RB, Connecticut
War Room analysis

POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

(No. 27 overall, Colts) This is a perfect situation for Brown, and it's a classic Indy pick -- taking the best player on the board as opposed to filling a need. It's a bit of a surprise that Brown went before Beanie Wells, but Brown should provide some versatility and durability for Indianapolis.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Inside running: Is tough and aggressive. Uses his explosiveness, athleticism and speed to make up for his lack of brute power. Shows good patience waiting for his blockers to open a small hole, makes the sharp cut and then explodes for a long gain. Is able to maneuver in tight quarters. Does a good job of lowering his shoulders and running with good body lean in traffic. Wraps up and protects the ball well. Will drive through tackles to gain a yard or two after contact before going down. Grade: 6.5

Outside running: Is able to consistently make big plays once he gets outside. Gets to full speed quickly and has the burst to outrun defenders who have a clear path to chase him down. Is a dangerous cutback runner. Grade: 8.0

Blocking: Has little experience as a lead blocker. Lacks the size and strength to be consistently effective. Must become more aggressive and use better technique in pass protection. Grade: 5.0

Hands/routes: Can twist his body to adjust and make tough catches. Never fights the ball. Has a lot of experience running routes, from both the backfield and a receiver alignment. Makes things happen when he catches the ball in the open field. Grade: 8.5

Durability: Played through a number of minor college injuries. Doesn't seem to tire out. Always wants to be in on the play. Looks thin on film. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Brown, a junior, had a standout career at Connecticut. He is not a big back, but he runs with an aggressiveness and toughness that helps him play bigger than his size. His athleticism helps him change directions easily in traffic, which allows him to avoid hard hits, a trait most smaller NFL backs have. Brown could sneak into the first round, and he will be a productive starting back who consistently makes big plays as a ballcarrier and receiver at the next level.

Career statistics

Rushing Receiving
Team Att. Yds. Avg. TD Att./TD Rec. Yds. Avg. TD
'06 UConn 161 950 5.9 7 23.0 13 66 5.1 2
'07 UConn 170 895 5.3 8 21.3 14 85 6.1 0
'08 UConn 367 2187 6.0 18 20.4 21 125 6.0 0
Totals 698 4032 5.8 33 21.2 48 276 5.8 2
I can buy that Brown was the pure BPA on the board. Hood and Robiskie were more 2nd round guys, but still. Quality guys.

Watching that NFL Network video, Brown kind of reminds me of pre-injury Edge. Well I hope he plays like him anyways.

So, what, does Addai get traded next year? Don't know how both guys get enough touches.

Then again the Steelers took Mendenhall last year, and needed Mewelde Moore.

MaxV
04-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, Brown wasn't my top choice (I wanted Ziggy), but I'm not as outraged about it as you guys are.

This guy is a good player.

I hope we can address DT, WR and OL later.

UKfan
04-25-2009, 06:36 PM
He's a good player, but I don't think that a backup RB, which IMO Brown is compared to Addai, should be addressed untl 3rd or 4th round. DT, WR, OL as you mentioned all could be higher, hell I would maybe put S higher as well with Bethea's situation.

Geo
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Polian and Caldwell discuss the selection of Brown. (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=4d734241-f5ce-4a66-b264-747e92dfbb61)

I could see Brown staying in Indy for a long time, I think he is the next franchise back to follow Edge. Addai probably won't be re-signed, but he helped the Colts win SB XLI so nobody can tell me that pick wasn't worth it.

Geo
04-25-2009, 07:59 PM
10 picks until the Colts' 2nd round pick.

Geo
04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Colts traded up in the 2nd round! Now picking at #56.

UKfan
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't like Moala, certainly not enough to trade up, but at least it fills our biggest need, oh well, off to bed, it is 2.20am lol.

Geo
04-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Colts trade their 5th round pick to move up and draft Fili Moala.

I like it, Moala has a lot of potential, just as much as Ziggy Hood if not much more. He adds a real presence inside and has been playing in a Tampa 2 at Southern Cal already. And at times Southern Cal used him as NT in a 34 front.

The Colts traded up before one of Miami/Baltimore/New England/Carolina/New York could draft him before #61.

Very good pick.

3pac
04-25-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm PUMPED. We FINALLY get a BIIIIG DT......he's Samoan, which makes him cooler, AND he's from USC which consistently cranks out good defensive players. GREAT DRAFT SO FAR!

Geo
04-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Draft Vignette: Fili Moala (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8d729)
Fili Moala pro day interview (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f92c71)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/19675.html

Fili Moala
SELECTED BY: Colts Round 2 (24)
DT Senior USC Pac-10 6-4, 305 5.10

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors as a senior after totaling 30/10/4.5. Junior totals included 32/5.5/2.5.

POSITIVES: Athletic defensive lineman who displays the ability to force the action. Moves well on his feet, makes plays laterally, or knifes to the inside of blocks and gets penetration up the field. Displays an explosive first step off the snap, keeps his feet moving on contact, and shows a burst of closing speed. For the most part, plays with good lean and pad level.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his hand technique and do a better job protecting himself. Occasionally plays tall and makes himself an easy target for blockers. More of a first move lineman who must beat blockers off the snap.

ANALYSIS: Moala has flashed dominance the past three seasons, and he is a lineman who takes over games. He must improve the details of his position, add bulk to his frame, and develop more moves with his hands to have any chance of impacting at the next level. Moala could develop into a productive starter at the next level if the pieces fall into place.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8686.html

(Sporting News loves this guy, they rated him as not only the second best DT behind Raji but also the 22nd overall best prospect in the Draft. A bit overboard, but obviously they really fell in love with his talent.)

Fili Moala
DT, USC

POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

(No. 56 overall, Colts) We identified defensive tackle as one of Indy's biggest needs coming into the draft, and we would have considered Moala at No. 27 a good pick, so obviously the Colts got tremendous value. He has the versatility to hold and play gap control and also penetrate to blow up the pocket.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Against the run: Has good playing strength. Plays with solid leverage and use his hands aggressively against blockers. Can toss the blocker off and make the tackle on runs at him. Gets into gaps to disrupt blocking schemes. Displays impressive playing speed chasing the ball carrier down. Grade: 8.5

Pass rush: Is consistently productive as a pass rusher. Is able to dominate blocker and drive him backwards in order to get a hit/sack on the quarterback. Pressures the quarterback well. Can beat one-on-one blocks with a quick spin move. Had an impressive slap move. Grade: 7.5

Initial quickness: Is not explosive off the ball, and fails to shoot through gaps in a flash. Is often able to get his hands on the blocker first. Has impressive snap anticipation instincts. Has a fast closing burst to finish plays. Grade: 7.5

Run/pass recognition: Consistently identifies the play fast, finds the ball carrier and gets started toward the play quickly. Does not get fooled by misdirection plays. Grade: 8.5

Pursuit/tackling: Does an excellent job of making plays in pursuit, even when blocked. Able to get his man to the ground when he gets close enough to make the play. Grade: 8.5

Bottom line: Moala has been overshadowed by other Southern Cal defenders for most of his career, but there are not many negatives to his play, and he has the tools to be a good NFL starter. During the Senior Bowl, Moala proved he is every bit as athletic as he appears on film and has the size and strength that few at his position do. He has the talent to start at defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense or defensive end in a 3-4 scheme.
Again, I really like this pick. I'm sure there are some Colts fans saying Jarron Gilbert, but Gilbert is a workout warrior and Moala did better imo against the better competition. If you recall my posts during these last few months, I was impressed with him in his senior year.

Colts finally begin building their defensive interior with some size, power, and speed.

PS. Definitely give that Draft Vignette video a watch.

Geo
04-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Polian and Caldwell discuss Fili Moala (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=7b794455-89c9-4762-a7c1-d334e3998ba6)

Polian says he played 3-4 RDE at times as a senior. Could have sworn I saw him more at NT in those situations, oh well.

MaxV
04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Money pick.

Need addressed.

Geo
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I have to hand it to the Colts. They have the ability to dissociate themselves from their needs and really take the best player. I can't do it myself, I had WR and DT too strong in my thoughts. I think it's because of their great scouting but also Polian not having any of the scouts in the war room - only him, Caldwell, the director of scouting I think, and Jim Irsay. Basically it's those four and the completed draft board, so things are scientific and attacked like a surgeon methodically. Of course Polian himself is a big reason.

The Colts have such an eye on quality of talent.

Now that things are done, I wouldn't change either of the picks. Donald Brown is a much better RB prospect than Addai was in 2006 imo.

Although still, my concern is getting both Addai and Brown enough touches. Ideally I'd like to see both get at least 224 carries (14 per game average) and 40 receptions. The Colts had almost that much for Addai and Rhodes in 2006.

3pac
04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
The Donald Brown pick has REALLY grown on me from "meh" to "cool" to "HELL YES."

Our division is, in some ways, defined by explosively quick RBs. MJD, Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson...they all torch us. Now we have our OWN version of a burner, the kind of RB who can bust out for a breakaway 80 yard TD on any play, AND a big fat DT to clog up the middle and help stop THEIR guys from continuing to do it to us.

PERFECT draft so far. If we can find a quality LB, WR, and another big DT in the 6th or 7th, I'd say this will be - on paper - one of the best drafts we've ever had.

Geo
04-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I think trading the 5th to move up was totally worth it. Obviously I wish it was the 6th round pick, but the Colts have more picks than realistic roster spots. They need quality and they went for it, very smart.

I'd rather give up a 5th to get Moala than settle for Marks, whose motor concerned me and wasn't very strong.

3pac
04-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Agreed in full.

Geo
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
From Bob McGinn's articles with front office people and scouts around the league:

3. DONALD BROWN, Connecticut (5-10, 210, 4.49, 1-2)
Led the nation in rushing in '08 with 2,083 yards. "He's really a complete back," Baltimore personnel director Eric DeCosta said. "Vision. Toughness. Great hands. Good pass pro. Runs good routes. Great kid. Tremendous intangibles." Fourth-year junior with a 41 1/2-inch vertical jump and a Wonderlic of 24. "Maxes out on every play, just about," said Modrak. "At the end of the day, he always had 100 yards. He does everything pretty well." Finished with 698 rushes for 3,800 (5.4) and 33 TDs along with 48 receptions for 276 (5.8). "He's the hot man now for a lot of people," Seattle scout Charles Fisher said. "More so because of his personality and who he is as a person. He is a tough runner and a very smart runner." Split time until '08. "I'm torn," one scout said. "He just doesn't look like he plays big. I don't see him breaking tackles. I see him being elusive and quick. I see him being a guy who comes in a game and does some good things and goes back out. I don't see him as being your bell cow."

5. FILI MOALA, Southern California (6-4, 301, 5.11, 2-3)
"Little bit like Tyson Jackson," one scout said. "Little stiff. He's a 5-technique (3-4 DE), not a nose. Or a 4-3 guy." His father, Fili Sr., was a heavyweight boxer who fought Ron Lyle in 1979. "He's got initial quick, then he's straight up and watches," another scout said. "They get all excited with the initial quick. He plays too high." Started three seasons as DT on the weak side, finishing with 9½ sacks and 90 tackles (23½ for loss) on a star-studded defense. "He's pretty athletic, has good feet and has some quickness," Buffalo VP Tom Modrak said. "He gets away with being upright some because he's got good feet. If you could ever get him to keep his pad level down he's not a bad player."

NOLAFan
04-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey i don't really follow the Colts that much but as an LSU fan and a fan of Addai, how does the drafting of Donald Brown affect Addai,if at all?

Like i said i don't follow the Colts but i thought Addai was doing good with them.

MaxV
04-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey i don't really follow the Colts that much but as an LSU fan and a fan of Addai, how does the drafting of Donald Brown affect Addai,if at all?

Like i said i don't follow the Colts but i thought Addai was doing good with them.

It seems like nearly every team in the NFL is trying to switch to a 2-RB system to lessen the load.

It looks like Colts want to do that as well.

NOLAFan
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM
It seems like nearly every team in the NFL is trying to switch to a 2-RB system to lessen the load.

It looks like Colts want to do that as well.

ah ok. Thanks for answering my question.

Geo
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Well I would definitely expect the Colts will keep Addai for the last two years of his rookie contract, for him to continue being an important part of the team, but right now chances are probably that he may not be re-signed with the drafting of Brown. We'll see how things progress from here though, too early to say.

(Let's just say I am still definitely going to keep Addai in my keeper fantasy league for '09, I think he's going to have a great season.)

Sniper
04-25-2009, 10:44 PM
You guys took Donald Brown with Mike Hart on your roster already?

Epic, epic fail.

Geo
04-25-2009, 10:44 PM
I think Hart will be the short-yardage guy. Because he cannot be denied.

Sniper
04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I think Hart will be the short-yardage guy. Because he cannot be denied.

True story. I remember when he pwned Jim Leonhard.

RagingColt
04-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I'll swing from Geo's thinking and agree that Brown will be the #1 RB in three year's time. Until then, he and Addai can be a great 1/2 punch like so many other NFL teams have. Our running game did suck last year, this at least attempts to rectify that.

Don't know much about the 2nd rounder but he has to beat Foster/Dawson and some of the other lightweights we'd been plugging in last year. So good, so far in the Draft.

Think we'll see the Colts address MLB, RT, and even CB on day two.

In Polian we trust.

Geo
04-26-2009, 12:38 AM
The Colts could be in prime position to get a high quality corner in the 3rd round.

Plus there are some good receiver prospects still on the board, although they might not last past the 3rd. So if the Colts don't take one then, they probably will have to wait for a while to take a smaller school guy.

Again though, corner value in the 3rd might be hard to pass up. At least for me.

I think the Colts recognized this safety class might not be very good for them, hence the re-signing of Giordano as a one-year solution for depth.

I am excited about free agent signing MLB Adam Seward, I wonder if 2009 isn't a potential trial run for him as a future starter. He had super measurables coming out as a prospect that no other '09 prospect can completely match, plus he brings added size in the middle at 250 lbs. We'll see how he is as a player though.

Although the Colts could do well to draft one linebacker for extra quality depth.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:04 AM
I'm not nearly as high on the Moala pick as most, just reading that last article Geo posted I'm reading a lot of the things I saw when watching USC. Coupled with the fact Marks is at the Titans and I am one unhappy camper, my feelings on the Brown selection are already known.

Geo
04-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Hopefully some coaching by fine DL coach John Teerlink can help Moala become a better player. To make sure he doesn't get too tall at times, and to polish his pass rush ability because he's still kind of raw although he started over 30 games at Southern Cal. What really excites me is Polian saying Moala is a 3-tech.

Anyone else find it really curious the Packers traded up all the way up right before the Colts' pick to take Clay Matthews? Now granted the Patriots at #26 were obviously shopping their pick to the rest of the league, but that makes me wonder if Green Bay was thinking that the Colts might take Matthews.

redviper311
04-26-2009, 08:46 AM
I personally love the Donald Brown, RB, UConn selection in Round 1. Should of Jerry had been still on the board; I really feel that would have been the Colts selection. As for the selection of Fili Moala, DT, USC in the second I really like that pick as well. If BP and the Colts traded up to grab Moala over Marks that tells me alot about Moala. But I really feel if Green Bay didn't over traded up for Clay Matthews I don't think he would made it past Indy.

I am looking forward day 2 this is where the scouts make there money.

Seamus2602
04-26-2009, 08:51 AM
I was shocked with the Brown pick, and I'm still not jumping up and down with joy over it, but, if Bill Polian considers Donald Brown to be the best pick for the Colts at #27 then, in my opinion, Donald Brown is the best pick for the Colts at #27. In my opinion Polian hasn't ever missed on a 1st Rounder, even with Rob Morris who was drafted for a different system. As Geo pointed out, Addai helped us win a Superbowl so you can't turn around and say that pick didn't work. Brown is the pick and we will all be turning around in a year and say "Why did we ever doubt Bill Polian?".

Moala wouldn't have been my 1st Choice. Personally I think that Moala in the 2nd is better that Jerry in the 1st as Jerry's age concerns me. We are a young team and so Jerry doesn't fit in. Jerry will come out of his Rookie contract and be in his 30s so Moala is a better value pick. I just personally rated Marks higher than Moala but obviously Polian, Caldwell, Coyer and Terrlinck rated Moala better than Marks and they know more about it than either you or I do.

On Day 2 I would prefer, with the 4 picks, to target Offensive Tackle, Nose Tackle, Cornerback, Safety, Linebakcer or possibly Quarterback. 4 players from any of those positions will make me happy.

Geo
04-26-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=690c1d6b-f230-47f3-8165-ae87b81c6694

“They don't want to jinx him too early, but he reminds people of Thurman Thomas,” Irsay said

“Going into his junior year, there was talk he could be the top pick in the draft,” Irsay said. “He was looked at as that sort of player. We think he's a big presence inside that we're lacking. We're going to continue to get some more size inside at defensive tackle."
:eek:

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I am not going to rant and rave about this like I was last night, but I do not agree with the Brown pick. I don't think the OL will improve THAT much, and Brown seems just like Addai - quickish but not fast, under 6', about 210 lbs, catches passes well out of the backfield, "shifty" (I'm not even sure what that means anymore), a "vision" guy, doesn't create his own hole, is not a short yardage guy, etc. Except apparently Brown doesn't even block well.

With no personnel improvement to the OL (maybe they'll do some of that today, I haven't turned the draft on yet) I am concerned that both backs are going to get stonewalled again this year. All the vision in the world won't help if LBs and DLmen are crashing through the line. Beanie Wells would've been my pick here if they needed a RB. I would've also preferred Hood, Nicks, Britt, Laurinaitis, possibly Maualuga (though maybe NFL teams know something I don't, he was taken really late), and some others that are escaping me right now.

As for Moala, I obviously feel better about that pick but picture this. A talented, undermotivated DT with all the tools but who takes plays off, has character issues, and is an underachiever. Sounds risky right? And the Colts don't usually draft or sign guys like that. Except at DT. We'll see, but I would've much rather had Hood.

Geo
04-26-2009, 10:09 AM
10 picks until the Colts' 3rd rounder at #92.

Lot of good players left.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Stop me if you've heard me say this, I want Mitch King in Colts uniform.

Come on Bill!

MaxV
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Big run on WRs here.

Still a couple more left that I like.

Louis Murphy would look very good in Colts' uniform.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM
2 more picks until we're up.

Come on Bill, this is were we pick future HOF. ;)

MaxV
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
We're up....

Geo
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Corner value was too good to pass up, just like I thought, although I was thinking DJ Moore.

Powers was #88 in Gosselin's Top 100 (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/042409dnsponfltop100.7dd05b.html), the man knows what's what.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Our system is probably the only one that Powers would fit.

I guess Polian sees him as a Dante Hughes type.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 10:55 AM
DJ Moore is sliding, I thought him or Rashad Johnson would be our pick there, lord knows I would love to see Rashad on the Colts.

Geo
04-26-2009, 10:59 AM
NFL.com profile: Jerraud Powers (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/jerraud-powers?id=80680)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/46068.html

Jerraud Powers
SELECTED BY: Colts Round 3 (28)
CB Junior Auburn SEC 5-9, 188 4.48

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter who posted 47/2/7 as a junior after 63 tackles and four interceptions the prior year.

POSITIVES: Athletic cornerback rarely challenged by opposing signal callers. Fluid flipping his hips off the line, possesses a burst of speed, and displays a nice break to the throw. Works hard to get off blocks and comes up the field to defend running plays or screen passes. Strong at the point of attack.

NEGATIVES: Very quick out of his backpedal. Just average height, which may cause matchup problems.

ANALYSIS: Powers has been a productive player at Auburn the past three seasons, but he offers an incomplete game. He will be given a chance as a nickel or dime back at the next level, yet expect him to fall very deep into the late rounds of the draft.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/9037.html

Jerraud Powers
CB, Auburn

"Powers probably could have used one more year at Auburn to polish his game and have his production match his athleticism, but there's no doubt he fits the Colts' cover 2 with his ability to swarm. He will likely start off as a nickel or dime back."

POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Powers was an underclassman who a lot of scouts believe made a mistake coming out early. He is very athletic and quick, and has the tools to be a starter down the line, but was not very productive in college. He will need time to develop his skills and adapt to the NFL.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Strengths: Has good instincts, mirroring skills and closing speed when covering one-on-one. Can adjust his body to make plays on the ball without being flagged. Is a solid form-tackler. Is an above-average athlete. Has good timed speed. Is quick, smooth and agile. Is compact and tight in his backpedal.

Weaknesses: Does not always play fast. Has some stiffness in his gait and hip turn. Has average hands. Looks small on tape.

Bottom line: Powers was good at Auburn. He played on the punt and punt-return teams in addition to playing cornerback. He can play tight bump-and-mirror coverage and trail receivers well. Overall, he has good tools, which will make him a mid- to late-round pick despite his lack of height. He is best suited to be a backup or nickel cornerback, but he has a chance to develop into a starter.
I never paid any attention to him last year, usually I focus on seniors and saw few Auburn games anyways, but I can dig the pick. Especially as now he'll get more of a pass rush.

3pac
04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking LB with our next pick...

(Side note: does anyone know why people's avatars and signatures aren't showing up for me?)

3pac
04-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Anyone see the interview with Donald Brown on ESPN just now? The pundits are all falling head over heels in love with him after 2 minutes of screen time. I feel the same way....this guy might be new Bromance #1, replacing Brady Quinn.

I'm so excited to see what he can do. Watching him in that Colts hat was great.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Louis Murphy here. Please.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Nooooooooooo

MaxV
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Gerald Cadogan or Troy Kropog would be good picks here imo.

redviper311
04-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I called Austin Collie WR BYU but in the 3rd round love this pick

MaxV
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
BP loves polished route-runners. This guy fits the bill. Personally, I would've liked more vertical speed, but WRs with both usually aren't available in the 4th round.

Geo
04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I love this pick, and I love that this new and improved Colts' front office is willing to overlook not-so-great forty times to get the best players. Although maybe it's because it's such a bad draft class overall.

Great pick though, you listen to the kid and he sounds like a total pro. So smart. And he runs routes and catches the ball so well.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I want Duke Robinson, Jamon Meredith, Troy Kropog, Gerald Cadogan or Mitch King here.

OL needs to be improved and King is my personal favorite.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Marcus Freeman I would like here.

Geo
04-26-2009, 12:52 PM
NFL.com profile: Austin Collie (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/austin-collie?id=81282)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/35415.html

Austin Collie
WR Junior BYU Mountain West 6-1, 200 4.62

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference and All-America honors since his freshman season. Junior totals included 106/1,538/15, with a nation-leading 118.2-yards receiving per game. Sophomore totals were 56/946/7 after 53/771/8 as a true freshman.

POSITIVES: Reliable, sure-handed pass catcher with natural receiving skills. Quickly releases off the line, sells routes, and plays with excellent balance and body control. Makes good use of the sidelines, knows where he is on the field, and displays good focus at all times. Makes the reception running laterally without breaking stride, looks the ball into his hands, and quickly transitions from making the reception to running after the catch. Consistently extends and catches the ball away from his frame. Tough, fights to make the reception, and uses his frame to shield away opponents. Consistently finds the open spot in the defense, or follows the quarterback across the field to make himself an available target.

NEGATIVES: Marginal speed and cannot separate from opponents down the field.

ANALYSIS: Collie is an active receiver who displays outstanding pass-catching skills and football instincts. One of the more sure-handed receivers in this draft, he will be effective for a timing or West Coast offense that requires him to run a lot of underneath routes.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8872.html

Austin Collie
WR, Brigham Young
#48 best prospect in the Draft

"In the wake of releasing Marvin Harrison, Indianapolis needed a third receiver who could produce right away behind Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez. The Colts get an absolute steal with Collie in Round 4, who should remind them a lot of Gonzalez. He is a talented receiver whom they can line up everywhere on offense and Peyton Manning will love."

POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Collie has excellent hands to go along with speed, quickness and body control. He is a superb route runner who gets in and out of his break quickly and reaches top speed in a hurry. He will need to work on his blocking skills, but is a great fit for Indianapolis.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Strengths: Has good speed, quickness, hands and body control. Can get to top-end speed in a flash and makes life tough on the cornerback. Is a superb route-runner who gets in and out of routes quickly. Makes tough catches look routine. Has outstanding body control to adjust and stab the ball out of the air. Shows good deep speed and the ability to change direction on a dime.

Weaknesses: Is an average blocker. Does not always get off the line as quickly as possible. Needs to add bulk and strength.

Bottom line: Collie is an outstanding athlete with superb top-end speed, agility and body control, and he plays the game fast. He is a smart player who understands the offense and can play multiple positions. However, he'll need to get stronger and work on his technique as a blocker. Collie will be solid at the next level and should be a starter his rookie year.

Geo
04-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I definitely agree.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 12:57 PM

He's STILL AVAILABLE???!!!

Yeah, DEFINITELY.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Terrance Taylor? Eh? Freeman would have been MUCH better IMO.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Terrence Taylor.

LOL. They want to be better against the run.

I guess Bill has been reading this message boards. :)

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I dislike this pick. I watched a lot of Michigan last year to scout Taylor, in hopes that he would be good enough for the Colts, and came away sorely disappointed. He was horrible last season and doesn't fit a one-gap scheme. He lost a lot of weight and instead of becoming more explosive, was easy to push around and his stamina wasn't that great still.

This feels like taking a NT for the sake of, and not even a good one. Are the Colts going to let him add on 20-25 lbs? I seriously doubt it.

I don't know, we'll see. Of course I hope he plays well, would be great to have another good DT.

MaxV
This makes it official, they are changing the philosophy of the Defense.

3pac
TT had THIRTY SEVEN bench presses at the combine. He is a BEAST. Such a great pick, oh man, I love this draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=1

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I've watched a lot of Big Ten games and have seen Taylor plenty.

He plays well against the run. Keep in mind, NT isn't really a 1-gap position in our defense.

With that being said, he's far from a great NT prospect.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/terrance-taylor?id=79655

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/45043.html

Terrance Taylor
DT Senior Michigan Big 10 6-0, 306 5.26
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors after his senior and junior seasons. Totals last year included 35/4/1.5 after 55/8.50/3.5 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Strong, wide-bodied defensive lineman tough to move off the point. Built low to the ground, plays with leverage, and gets underneath opponents. Possesses a thick lower body, tough to handle on the inside, and holds his ground. Displays good first step quickness, fires through the gaps upfield or bulrushes opponents off the line. Constantly doubled or focused on by opponents.

NEGATIVES: Inconsistent in his play and effort. Does not overwhelm lesser opponents, and too easily locked up at the point by a single blocker. At times seems intimidated on the field. Slow locating the ball. Must develop more moves with his hands.

ANALYSIS: Taylor is a prospect who came into this season with high grades, and much was expected of him. Like many of his predecessors from Michigan, (Allan Branch and Gabe Watson) Taylor failed to deliver and is watching his draft stock tumble. He has the build and strength to handle the duties as an interior lineman or play nose tackle, yet he must start to play with a sense of urgency for 60 minutes or he'll be looking for a new line of work.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8227.html

Terrance Taylor
DT, Michigan

"Indianapolis has focused on improving its depth and girth at defensive tackle in the draft. Although he is rather short at 6-0, at 311 pounds, he still quick enough to be a factor against the run."

POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Taylor had high expectations coming into his senior year at Michigan, but was a big disappointment in 2008 as he was not consistently productive. He can be engulfed at times because of his size, but can also use it to his advantage to play with good leverage at the point of attack. He has the quickness and athleticism that the Colts like out of their interior linemen, and if the light switch ever goes on he has the skill set to be a starter at the next level.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Strengths: Is a good athlete. Anticipates the snap well, and shows the quickness and burst to get on top of offensive linemen before they get set. Changes directions quickly, and shows the strength to defeat one-on-one pass blocks when using good technique. Shows a quick spin move to shed blockers and chase down the ball. Shows the strength to hold his ground at the point of attack, flashing ability to shed block and make the tackle on runs directly at him. Shows the strength to jolt and drive offensive linemen into the backfield to blow up plays.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal height, and actually looks shorter and stumpy on film. Can be engulfed by big offensive linemen at times. Does not consistently rush the quarterback aggressively or with good technique; gets pinned easily to the line when rushing high. Does not move well through traffic, and struggles to deal with cut blocks. Lacks consistency. Does not consistently play with good effort or passion, which limits his production greatly.

Bottom line: Taylor is highly regarded, but his lack of height definitely hinders his production. He shows the quickness and athleticism NFL teams covet but must improve his technique, competitiveness and aggressiveness. Taylor has the talent to be a solid starter at the next level, but based on his inconsistent production he will struggle to become anything more than a backup without improvements in the aforementioned areas.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Video on Taylor.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f34b72

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:11 PM
If he plays well, it's a great pick. And I think he has the potential to play well.

But I just wish I saw a little of it last year. I wanted him to be great because I want the Colts to get great Big Ten players.

Great character though, I like that he is a leader and that he's got some ornery to him. I think ornery is important in a defensive lineman, ESPECIALLY a nose tackle. Freeney and Mathis have some ornery in them, it's what helps make them great.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:12 PM
We have no 5th rounder. :(

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I'm tempted to make a quick trip to Best Buy to pick up my order.

I'll probably wait until after the Draft though.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Trade up to get Freeman, pls!

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:19 PM
We'll see. Both Moala and Taylor are talented underachievers.

Hopefully, our coaches can help these guys reach their potential.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Trade up to get Freeman, pls!
No please, let 2010 draft picks be off-limits.

Colts really want to get bigger at linebacker, it's true.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:22 PM
We'll see. Both Moala and Taylor are talented underachievers.

Hopefully, our coaches can help these guys reach their potential.
Well Taylor will never play 3rd downs for the Colts anyways, but maybe he can make a real difference on 1st and 2nd downs.

I like that they took a flier on him. He has the character that it might actually work out.

He's going to be the back-up to Antonio Johnson initially anyways.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Freeman to me is a third round talent, if we could get him in the 5th, I would be more than willing to give up a later round pick next year.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I too don't like when Polian trades future higher picks for picks in active drafts.

It did work out well with Robert Mathis though.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Freeman to me is a third round talent, if we could get him in the 5th, I would be more than willing to give up a later round pick next year.
I like him a whole lot too. Heck if the Colts drafted him in the 2nd round, I would have been pleased.

But there's always good WLB prospects every year. And the Colts already have Clint Session starting for at least the next two years, and Tyjuan Hagler could be his back-up. I also have high hopes for Michael Okwo.

Anthony Heygood of Purdue could be an excellent 7th round pick, he's also a WLB prospect.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Fair enough, In Geo we trust!

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Polian and the scouts rock, bud. They have such an eye for talent.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Are you a Colts scout Geo? Lol in all seriousness, at this point in the draft I have to bow down to you guys as my knowledge here on out is very limited.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:30 PM
BTW, the biggest need left right now is OL. And there are several very good prospects left on the board.

Polian has a knack of finding good OLs in later rounds, hopefully this year will be the same.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:30 PM
You are flattering me WAY WAY WAY too much, cut it out. :D

Although you will be showered with rep.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I see Duke Robinson and Jamon Meredith still available, Duke would be a different style OG for the Colts, but who knows this year with the Terrance Taylor pick.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:35 PM
At this point, I think the only available roster spot is punter, which doesn't have to be drafted.

Well, maybe rotational DE too, I guess. And a (bigger) linebacker if they aren't crazy about either Senn or Okwo making the team as the back-up WLB.

So the Colts just need to pick up the two best players in the 6th and the 7th round who could potentially challenge for spots on the 53-man roster somehow. Competition and depth is always a good thing.

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I want to improve OL.

BTW, there's gotta be something to Freeman and Duke Robinson that everyone is passing on them.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:43 PM
With Duke I would guess it is his marginal pass pro, but boy he is a good run blocker IMO, like I say, would be weird seeing him as a Colt, but in the 6th, I would like to see us pull the trigger.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't know how Duke Robinson fits the team. But I'll trust the Colts.

Geo
04-26-2009, 01:47 PM
50 picks until the Colts draft!

Get ready. :D

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Duke and Marcus Freeman were 7 and 19 respectively in Scotts BPA list for Day two, you are right Max, something must be up, drug tests? Interviews? Idk really.

RCAChainGang
04-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Geo what do you think of Austin Collie?

And also do you guys think Nate Davis will be drafted? I hope not... I want to get deep on defense...

MaxV
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Donald Brown introduced.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=f67006e7-2143-46a7-a930-7a71488a136d

3pac
04-26-2009, 01:55 PM

And also do you guys think Nate Davis will be drafted? I hope not... I want to get deep on defense...

There's no way we draft Nate Davis. For one, we're in win now mode. We need to give depth and added rotation to our team, not pay a guy to never pay. Second, even if we DID draft a QB, it would NOT be Nate Davis. The Colts value intelligence more than perhaps any other team in the league, and Nate Davis is, quite simply, slow.

Yes, he has a learning disability, but who cares. The point is that a guy who scored 11 on a wonderlic and has learning problems is NOT the kind of guy to run the complicated Colts offense.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 01:59 PM
So Freeman goes to the Bears, man I am bummed :(

Geo
04-26-2009, 02:03 PM

Just above a bit, we shared our feelings on Collie. But again, he's just so darn solid imo. Super character and intelligence, which bodes well for his chances. Yeah his 40-time isn't that great, but we're not talking about some schlub like John Standeford or Moorehead. Collie can seriously play. I think he could be a guy like Kevin Walter of the Houston Texans, although he's two inches shorter.

I still like Nate Davisa bunch, because he can be very accurate and has a strong arm. I like an accurate passer with a strong arm. Although the Colts like QBs around 6' 4" tall, and Davis is under 6' 2". But they've changed some of their trends in the Draft so far, so let's see what happens.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 02:25 PM
and now Duke is gone, not a surprise really and I doubt we would have gone there, I think Jason Watkins is a guy to look out for now potentially for us at OT, and if we go OLB Follett is still around...

MaxV
04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Here's Collie's video.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f2f540

I like the quick cuts.

Geo
04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
10 picks until the Colts are up at #201!

UKfan
04-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Place your bets, who do the Colts go for? Zach Follett I'll guess.

3pac
04-26-2009, 04:07 PM
An OL. Not sure who.

Geo
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Awful pick, Painter sucks.

I'm not even going to post links about that bum.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Curtis Painter?! i guess he can compete with Sorgi, but really i think OL, LB, S would have been better.

3pac
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Also, this is a stupid pick IMO. We didn't need to waste a pick on a designated bench player who won't contribute to anything. Why not get an OG? An OLB? Another DT? Ugh...

Geo
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Nate Davis was drafted in the 5th round by the 49ers.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I think we can all agree, that was a bad pick, lol

MaxV
04-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, Curtis Painter isn't my favorite pick.

Geo
04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Well at least he's better than Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel. Because a 2 percent chance is better than a 1 percent chance.

Oh what the hell:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/11715.html

Curtis Painter
SELECTED BY: Colts Round 6 (28)
QB Senior Purdue Big 10 6-3, 225 4.97

BIOGRAPHY: Full-time starter the past three seasons after seeing action in five games with the first team as a freshman. Senior totals included 59.9/2,400/13/11. Benched three games last year due to poor play. Junior to passing totals included 62.6%/3,846/29/11.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized passer with an erratic game. Patient in the pocket, displays a good knowledge where his receivers are on the field, and goes through receiver progressions. Displays zip on the short and intermediate passes. Gets outside the pocket and then makes the throw on the move. Stands in the pocket and takes a hit in order to get the ball away.

NEGATIVES: Changes his point of release, which adversely affects his accuracy. Struggles hitting receivers in stride, scatters passes, and usually high of the mark when he tries to put extra zip on throws. Puts the ball up for grab and tosses the pass in to covered receivers. Holds the ball too long and gets antsy under the rush. Rarely came through in the big game for Purdue.

ANALYSIS: After looking like an NFL prospect early in his Purdue career, Painter has struggled to capitalize the past two seasons. He possesses average arm strength, less-than- desirable accuracy, and makes poor decisions. Painter has the tools to work with, and he showed positive signs at the combine. He must get his game back on track and learn to play in a disciplined NFL passing system to have a career at the next level.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8309.html

Curtis Painter
QB, Purdue

"After deciding not to take instate product Nate Davis of Ball State, the Colts turned to West Lafayette to take Painter. He's got NFL physical tools, but he needs to become polished and more consistente to stick. Learning from Peyton Manning will help."

Strengths: Shows impressive footwork. Has a quick release. Is tough and a leader. Is smart and competes hard. Is accountable and productive. Has a very good pocket presence and is elusive. Will sacrifice his body to make a play.

Weaknesses: Lacks speed and is not a top-flight athlete. Is not a true running threat. Lacks good arm strength and struggles to get the ball downfield. Shows inconsistent accuracy.

Bottom line: Painter operated in a high-percentage passing offense, mostly out of the shotgun formation, during his college career. He has many of the mental attributes to make it in the NFL, but his questionable arm strength and terrible accuracy will hinder his ability to be anything more than a backup.

At least we got a Boilermaker drafted for Dam.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Nevermind, Geo actually did it anyway lol.

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Garbage pick in the 6th. Painter might be better than Sorgi but who cares, we are still screwed without Manning. Why not OL, LB, or Mitch King or Clinton McDonald?

My take on the picks so far, best to worst

Moala in the 2nd
Taylor in the 4th
Brown in the 1st
Powers in the 3rd
Painter in the 6th

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I'd go:
Collie in the 4th
Moala in the 2nd
Powers in the 3rd
Brown in the 1st
Painter in the 6th

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Hmmm, trade up for Pat McAfee, interesting, pressure on Vini.

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I'd go:
Collie in the 4th
Moala in the 2nd
Powers in the 3rd
Brown in the 1st
Painter in the 6th

You dislike Taylor so much you don't even rank him? I think he will be great for the Colts and keep the LBs a lot cleaner. Sanders probably won't be hurt as much either because he won't be getting destroyed by blockers breaking through our midget Dline.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Apologies, I just forgot about the Taylor pick in all honesty, he'd probably go above Brown

MaxV
04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
You are a bit harsh on Brown, UK.

Obviously BP didn't have a 1st round grade for Ziggy Hood.

Not to mention that Kiper has already stated during this draft that several teams had a very high grade on Brown.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I didn't have a first ground grade on Ziggy or Brown tbh, but it's more just the position than the player, I simply didn't see RB as a need, I feel the run game was a product of poor OL play, and after this draft it still will be, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Seamus2602
04-26-2009, 05:17 PM
I didn't have a first ground grade on Ziggy or Brown tbh, but it's more just the position than the player, I simply didn't see RB as a need, I feel the run game was a product of poor OL play, and after this draft it still will be, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Clearly, with the fact that he addressed Running Back but not Offensive Line, Bill Polian feels that the Running Backs caused a collapse in the Run Game. The Colts never draft position over player. If the best player is a DT then the pick will be DT. If it's a RB then the pick will be RB etc. Clearly, at 27, Polian considered Donald Brown to be the best player available.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm not arguing Polian is wrong or anything, just saying my opinions lol. I hope that they prove me wrong, I really do :)

Seamus2602
04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I heard a suggestion that Pat McAfee will play Punter next year, with Hunter Smith signing for the 'Skins a few days a go.

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Ah I didn't hear that, would make more sense

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Jaimie Thomas from Maryland with the last pick, can't say I know him, but OG is a good 7th round pick normally for us.

6'4 323, he's got some good size too...

UKfan
04-26-2009, 05:47 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/11889.html

Jaimie Thomas
SELECTED BY: Colts Round 7 (27)
G Senior Maryland ACC 6-4, 332 5.25

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter who also saw minimal action with the first team as a sophomore.

POSITIVES: Large, strong blocker who moves well on his feet. Displays footwork in space, shows above-average ability blocking in motion and gets movement run blocking. Quickly gets off the snap, drives defenders off the ball, and can adjust to linebackers on the second level. Effective position blocker who seals defenders from the action, and fights with his hands throughout the play.

NEGATIVES: Inconsistent in his game, and stands to develop a nasty streak. Must improve his blocking balance. Has off-the-field issue that could raise flags.

ANALYSIS: Thomas possesses outstanding size and has the ability to be a starter at the next level. He must iron out the rough edges of his game and show that he is willing to play hard for 60 minutes, but he offers a good degree of upside.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8359.html

Jaimie Thomas
G, Maryland
#98 best prospect in the Draft

Strengths: Is well-built. Shows athleticism to make every block. Shows quick footwork to chip defensive tackles and reach second level to block linebackers out of plays. Pulls and lead blocks effectively on the move, both on outside runs and when taking on "fill linebackers" in the hole. Shows strength and competitiveness to drive defensive linemen down line on side blocks. Bends knees and sinks hips to pass block with leverage, and slides well laterally to adjust to quick change-of-direction pass-rush moves. Uses strength and leverage to stack the point of attack against bull rushers.

Weaknesses: Does not always play with enough intensity to block to his talent level. In pass protection, does not always use hands aggressively, letting defensive linemen get into his chest and jolt him back. On straight-ahead run blocks, does not fire off snap aggressively and tends to be a "catch" blocker; gets pushed back and lets opponents get past him to disrupt plays. Gets lazy at times on open-field blocks, stopping feet, bending at waist and lunging to make contact, leading to whiffs.

Bottom line: Few guards with Thomas' strength display the quick footwork and overall athleticism he has. Although we do not believe he will be drafted as high as we have him rated, in time he will prove he is worthy of the grade when he becomes a good all-around starter. He could be productive in any offensive scheme because he shows the strength to be a physically dominant, brute type of guard, as well as the athleticism to handle all the blocks more speed-based teams like the Colts and Broncos require their linemen to make.

PS. Hope you don't mind I added the SI profile. ;) -Geo

Geo
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I heard the Colts traded their 2010 6th round pick for Philly's 7th round pick to get McAfee. I'm didn't like it at first, but at least it's only a 6th and McAfee was a guy they had their eye on. Polian drafted Hunter Smith in the 7th round of 1999 or whenever it was.

What really helps me accept the trade/7th rd pick/McAfee is that the Colts kept their 7th round pick to use on this Jaimie Thomas from Maryland, who I am really liking the sound of. Such a big, strong lineman and they say he has the athleticism to play for the Colts? Wow, am I the only one who is really excited by him? Definitely worth checking out, and not worth risking in UDFA when a desperate team like the local Redskins could steal him. He might really help the run game.

And as much as I like dislike Painter, maybe the Colts can get the best out of him. If they can, gambling a 6th could be worth it. He was better before a lot of the talent around him went to the NFL, guys like Dustin Keller, Mike Otto, and Dorien Bryant.

All in all, I love this draft. More question marks than last year, but I like that all the question mark prospects have the character to potentially eliminate those question marks. And if they do, they will be big upgrades for what the Colts were missing last year. A lot of talent and potential, which could fill some needs, which would really make the team strong.

And we saw that the Colts legitimately tweak towards a new, potentially even more successful identity to help them win championships. That's pretty exciting, just like when Polian began drafting high quality defensive backs early in the Draft despite the idea that Cover 2 DBs shouldn't be drafted early. The Colts doing what they did then, heck that was big in them getting to and winning Super Bowl XLI.

I mean, as much as I dislike Taylor, heck for the last 4th round pick possible (comp pick from Jake Scott) let's give him a chance to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. Ideally, I would probably consider having him gain around 20-25 lbs. in the next few years so he's really hard to move, like how he was as a sophomore and junior at Michigan. We'll see though. Taylor sharing snaps with Antonio Johnson could make him much more effective.

Than again, he's got to fight for a roster spot with Dan Muir. Don't sleep on Muir imo, he is a big man with some promise. I think he benched 37 reps himself on his own pro day. Competition though is a good thing, especially at DT where the Colts have never had so much talent that they had to battle for roster spots. That is music for my ears.

I would say that I am very pleased with what the Colts did. Considering many consider this the worst draft class since 2005, and some would say it's even worse than 2005, I thought the Colts did a super job. The Colts need to make sure that Addai and Touchdown Donald Brown get enough touches, because they are both great talents, but Brown is Marshall Faulk/Tiki Barber-like, man. He is going to be slippery as an eel but as tough as a shark.

Very, very excited.

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Glad we finally picked up an OLman. I still would've preferred Britton in the first and Rashad Jennings in the 6th. But oh well.

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
So apparently the Colts signed UDFA Pat Kuntz from Notre Dame?

Really? When Mitch King is still around?

Geo
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I wish King well, but the Colts look to be going in another direction. Plus they already have Eric Foster, whose attitude I love.

Kuntz sounds good though, doesn't this make him sound just like Darrell Reid?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/40796.html

Pat Kuntz
DT Senior Notre Dame Independents 6-2, 285 4.98

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter who posted 42/8/3.5 as a senior, when he also intercepted a pass. Junior numbers included 42 tackles.

POSITIVES: Explosive one-gap tackle who plays with good pad level. Fires off the snap with a nice first step, quickly changes direction, and effectively uses his hands to protect himself. Works hard to make plays and does an effective job reading the action.

NEGATIVES: Undersized and easily taken from the action. Lacks top growth potential.

ANALYSIS: Kuntz possesses poor size/speed numbers, but he has the explosion and movement skills to find a home as a backup three-technique lineman.

I hope it's true that they signed him. Keep in mind one of Bill Polian's sons, Brian Polian, is the special teams coordinator and major recruiter at Notre Dame. They have an inside source they can trust.

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I wish King well, but the Colts look to be going in another direction. Plus they already have Eric Foster, whose attitude I love.

Kuntz sounds good though, doesn't this make him sound just like Darrell Reid?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/40796.html

I hope it's true that they signed him. Keep in mind one of Bill Polian's sons, Brian Polian, is the special teams coordinator and major recruiter at Notre Dame. They have an inside source they can trust.

I'd rather have King. He and Kuntz are the same size and his production was much, much better.

Geo
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Good point, kxs.

Geo
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8958.html

Patrick McAfee
K, West Virginia

Strengths: Is well built. Has a big leg; the ball explodes off his foot. Gets placekicks off quickly, and gets the ball up high. Improved his consistency as a senior and showed he can kick in cold, windy conditions. Made some clutch kicks during his college career. Drives the ball deep on kickoffs. Is also a very good punter, with the leg strength and touch to be a legitimate NFL punting prospect.

Weaknesses: Looks short and stocky on film. Was a bit streaky before his senior season. Has missed a few clutch kicks.

Bottom line: McAfee is a free-spirited guy who does not panic when he misses a kick and stays focused on what he has to do. He also has a big-time leg. McAfee will be drafted and could even handle his team's punting and placekicking duties, which would make him even more valuable.

Career statistics

Kicking
Team FG-FGA Pct. Long XP-XPA Pts.
'05 W.Va. 11-18 61.1 45 48-49 81
'06 W.Va. 17-22 77.3 51 62-62 113
'07 W.Va. 13-19 68.4 49 64-65 103
'08 W.Va. 17-20 85.0 52 36-36 87
Totals 58-79 73.4 13 210-212 384

You guys check out those last two sentences under strengths?

"Drives the ball deep on kickoffs. Is also a very good punter, with the leg strength and touch to be a legitimate NFL punting prospect."

If he could improve kickoffs too? That would be great.

Geo
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell discuss the Colts' Day Two picks (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=d0b22ddc-477e-451d-8f5a-b4d2b7745592)

Great to hear their insight on how they view the prospects.

Geo
04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Polian said at the presser that they will probably sign at least two linebackers in UDFA.

I would really like Dannell Ellerbe of Georgia. And/or Frantz Joseph.

Geo
04-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Per KFFL:

The Indianapolis Colts have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free-agent OT Cornelius Lewis (Tennessee State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Indianapolis Colts will sign undrafted free-agent P Tim Masthay (Kentucky).

Per Scout.com:

Former University of Louisville DT Adrian Grady has agreed to contract terms with the Indianapolis Colts, Scout.com has confirmed.

The Colts are light on depth at defensive tackle so Grady should have a chance to make the team or at worst, land on their practice squad.

Oh man, I really like the Grady signing. Supposedly he's a good one-gap tackle, but there was also chatter that 3-4 teams were looking at his as a developmental NT prospect (not sure how legit that was though).

Check out the draft scouting reports on Grady:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/14471.html
http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8681.html

Also, a third punter? May the best man win!

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 10:35 PM
The Colts are doing what I hoped they would do - flushing the DT position with new talent.

We now have Moala, Taylor, Kuntz, and Grady to compete with AJ, Muir, Brock, Foster, and Dawson.

I think either Foster or Dawson is going to kick over to DE and take Josh Thomas' spot, which is also what I was hoping for.

This draft has really not been too bad.

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Our division rivals took a ton of players I wanted the Colts to look at:

Jags:

Eben Britton - We take him in the 1st and Rashad Jennings in the 6th and we're better off IMO.

Jaret Dillard - Went in the 5th, about where he was expected. It will be interesting to see if he or Collie have better NFL careers.

Rashad Jennings - Fred Taylor retires, and Rashad Jennings steps in. It's good the Colts are bulking up in the middle and at LB, he's going to be a mother****er to bring down.

Mike Thomas - I really thought they'd take Crabtree, but Thomas should still improve their passing game in the slot.

Titans:

Kenny Britt - This kid is big, strong, and surprisingly elusive. I imagine Hayden will eventually get assigned to him.

SenDerrick Marks - It'll be interesting to see who has the better career between him and Moala. The DT coaching is better in TN (or was, not sure how much the DC who left had to do with it). Marks could be a real pain in our OL's ass.

Gerald McRath - He seemed like the perfect MLB pick for us. I can't remember where we picked Collie in the 4th but if we passed McRath up for him I think it may have been a mistake. But we will see.

Mitch King - This is the one that galls me. #1 I can't believe he didn't get drafted. And now he goes to the Titans. So they have Marks and King. We are finally rid of Haynesworth, and now instead we have two high-motor pass rushers. I like King and want him to do well, just not against us. We should've taken him in the 6th or 7th.

Texans:

Arian Foster - Would've been a decent guy to pair with Addai. To me there was plenty of RB value later in the draft.

RCAChainGang
04-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm uneasy about Donald Brown, but I really like his frame. He reminds me of MJD.

Fili Moala was an awesome pick. I loved the way that was handled. Can't let another guy slip through our fingers.

I like Collie a whole lot. I sat around watching game tape of him and I was impressed. He seems to have solid hands and good route running just not all that quick.

Powers from Auburn was alright. I would have liked to see us go for DJ Moore though!!!

Terrance Taylor - Fantabulicious!

To be honest I don't know anything else after that. My knowledge is limited. I'm not as astute as Geo or Max ;p.

I just hope we give Terry Tate a call! YOU KNOW YOU GOT TO REFILL THAT COFFEE!!!

http://www.filmdit.com/pictures/qywnatgu4t3amweg8ew56tjabfz2o5v3uieu3idx27xfs0jr56 n0pv0qyrhdk343c6o3fpsterrytate.jpg

chad72
04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
(so far the UDFAs signed, in one list)
Colts
DT Pat Kuntz (Notre Dame)
DT Adrian Grady - (Louisville)
OT Cornelius Lewis (Tennesse St.)
LB Tyrell Sales (Penn State)
LB Ramon Humber (NDSU)
P Tim Masthay (Kentucky)
WR John Matthews (San Diego)
OL Tom Pestock (NW Missouri)
TE/FB Colin Cloherty, (Brown)

other key players: players that you guys may know of, follow, think should have been drafted, or have been on a few colts mocks that ive seen b4

Pats - QB Brian Hoyer (Mich St)
Dolphins - LB Orion Martin (Virginia Tech)
Chiefs - DB Londen Fryar (W. Michigan)
Chargers - LB Darry Beckwith (LSU)
Raiders - LB Frantz Joseph (Florida Atlantic)
Broncos - CB Dominique Johnson (Jackson St)
Steelers - S Derrick Richardson (New Mexico St.)
Ravens - WR Eron Riley (Duke)
- K Graham Gano (FSU)
Browns - WR Jordan Norwood (Penn St.)
Bengals - RB Marlon Lucky (Nebraska)
- WR Quan Cosby (Texas)
- TE Greg Orton (Purdue)
Texans - RB Arian Foster (Tennessee)
- RB Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon)
Titans - DE Mitch King (Iowa)
Giants - DE Maurice Evans (Penn State)
- S Otis Wiley (Mich State)
Eagles - RB Marcus Thigpen (Indiana)
- DL Josh Gaines (Penn State)
Redskins - QB Chase Daniel (Missouri)
Seahawks - RB Devin Moore (Wyoming) - hes from Broadripple (central indy)
- OT Andre Ramsey (Ball State)
49ers - RB Kory Sheets (Purdue)
- OT Alex Boone (Ohio State)
Packers - RB Tyrell Sutton (Northwestern)
Vikings - RB Ian Johnson (Boise St.)
Falcons - WR Aaron Kelly (Clemson)
- QB John Parker Wilson (Alabama)
Panthers - LB Anthony Heygood (Purdue)
Saints - LB Jonathan Casillas (Wisconsin)

The guy I wanted most with his aggressive style of D-line play, Mitch King, he went to the Titans.:mad:

chad72
04-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm uneasy about Donald Brown, but I really like his frame. He reminds me of MJD.

Fili Moala was an awesome pick. I loved the way that was handled. Can't let another guy slip through our fingers.

Donald Brown is very much like a Matt Forte - can run, can catch, and can block. He fights for yardage and runs outside the tackles a lot and is good in the open field, quicker than people think. Another reason for a 1st round RB is probably because they realized Addai just cannot handle a feature RB role unless he is in a 50-50 system with an RB with similar (better, IMO) capabilities. Instead of paying Rhodes, they felt it was better for the future to pay the late first rounder and should they need to let Addai go when he hits free agency, this new RB has been a feature back in college unlike Addai and will get the nod with a rookie contract.

More than anything else, I like the situation Donald Brown will be walking into, a 2 RB situation where he will excel and will make Addai excel as well, IMO.

RCAChainGang
04-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Donald Brown is very much like a Matt Forte - can run, can catch, and can block. He fights for yardage and runs outside the tackles a lot and is good in the open field, quicker than people think. Another reason for a 1st round RB is probably because they realized Addai just cannot handle a feature RB role unless he is in a 50-50 system with an RB with similar (better, IMO) capabilities. Instead of paying Rhodes, they felt it was better for the future to pay the late first rounder and should they need to let Addai go when he hits free agency, this new RB has been a feature back in college unlike Addai and will get the nod with a rookie contract.

More than anything else, I like the situation Donald Brown will be walking into, a 2 RB situation where he will excel and will make Addai excel as well, IMO.

I completely agree, but I just didn't like the pick being a running back in the first. Rashad Jennings would have made more sense later in the draft.

But I agree Chad. Thanks.

Geo
04-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I genuinely believe Brown was at the very top of their draft board at the #27 pick, as their best player evaluated, and since they could use another RB it was fine.

That's the thing I think gets distorted about the Colts, this idea that Polian purposefully sets out to surround Peyton Manning with weapons.

The thing is, defensive talent tends to rise on Draft day (especially defensive lineman) and offensive talent tends to fall. And since the Colts annually draft in the bottom third of the 1st round, chances are the BPA and the value will be on offense more often than not (Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, and now Donald Brown).

They've also drafted Rob Morris and Marlin Jackson in the 1st round. And had a 1st round grade on Bob Sanders, but knew they could trade down twice and take him because other teams would be warded off thanks to his height.

All these guys we're talking about, with the exception of the new addition Brown because he hasn't played yet, have all been great contributors for the Colts.

MaxV
04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, Panthers signed Cadogan.

Among our UFA's, the only one I'm familiar with is Tyrell Sales. He was a solid player at PSU, but his NFL upside is limited.

I doubt he makes the roster.

Geo
04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I was hoping you'd chime in on Sales. Ah well.

bigbluedefense
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
While many feel that Donald Brown was a curious pick, I absolutely loved it. Donald Brown was my favorite RB in this draft, closely followed by Moreno who was followed by McCoy (who is going to be special too in Philly).

Donald Brown is a complete back, and he's going to do wonders for you guys in Indy. I like him alot.

Moala I had graded as a 3-4 DE, but I can see him fit in that Cover 2 because of his spin move. I think the Colts love guys who can spin, because you have those ends who can spin and stunt, and adding a guy in the interior who can do that will create some serious matchup problems for an oline. I liked Moala a lot as a mid round guy and wanted him on the Giants. I think that was a great pick up. Obviously, I thought Peria Jerry was perfect for you guys, but it just didn't work out that way.

I was surprised you guys passed on Gilbert though. Most had him pegged as a 3-4 DE, but my scouting of him, I felt he was a perfect Tampa 2 UT. I liked him as a hybrid in the Giants scheme as well. I never viewed him as a 3-4 End. The Bears got a good player in him.

I can't comment on the CBs you drafted, bc I don't know much about them. I thought though you guys had a strong secondary no? The Colts had one of the best pass defenses in the league last year if i recall correctly.

I was expected you guys to nab Brandon Tate, but Collie is a solid mid round prospect. From the looks of it, the Colts are going to be more of a running team this year. With Addai and Brown, screw it, why not.

I didn't like the Terrance Taylor pick for you guys. It just doesn't match the scheme. He's way too big and slow to fit that Tampa 2. I know NT is crucial for stopping the run in a Tampa 2, but he just doesn't fit the mold of what a Tampa 2 NT is supposed to be. I just don't see it. Unless you guys are going away from the scheme now that Dungy is gone?

To sum it up, I love Moala and Brown in particular. I think you got 2 keepers with those guys. The rest is up for debate, and without knowing enough about them or the Colts for that matter, I don't know how they will shake out.

But I love Moala, and I love Brown. Brown oddly enough, was my #1 rated RB in this draft.

The more I think of it, I really really like the Moala pick. I really like it. I think he's going to be a beast.

I'm somewhat jealous of that pick, I must say lol. I didn't expect him to get taken in the 2nd round, but whatever, if he's good, he's good.

killxswitch
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
While many feel that Donald Brown was a curious pick, I absolutely loved it. Donald Brown was my favorite RB in this draft, closely followed by Moreno who was followed by McCoy (who is going to be special too in Philly).

Donald Brown is a complete back, and he's going to do wonders for you guys in Indy. I like him alot.

I agree he is a complete back, he just seems too similar to Addai. I would've preferred Wells, Greene, or Rashad Jennings. If he plays up to his potential Addai will be a backup. If our OL doesn't get better it won't matter how good Brown is. I am warming to this pick though.

Moala I had graded as a 3-4 DE, but I can see him fit in that Cover 2 because of his spin move. I think the Colts love guys who can spin, because you have those ends who can spin and stunt, and adding a guy in the interior who can do that will create some serious matchup problems for an oline. I liked Moala a lot as a mid round guy and wanted him on the Giants. I think that was a great pick up. Obviously, I thought Peria Jerry was perfect for you guys, but it just didn't work out that way.

I was surprised you guys passed on Gilbert though. Most had him pegged as a 3-4 DE, but my scouting of him, I felt he was a perfect Tampa 2 UT. I liked him as a hybrid in the Giants scheme as well. I never viewed him as a 3-4 End. The Bears got a good player in him.

Jerry would've been perfect, but as expected the Falcons wouldn't let him get by. I am cautiously optimistic about Moala. He is an underachiever but I wonder if that was the USC scheme and all the talent around him making plays. Not that that is a good thing either. If he can collapse the pocket consistently Freeney and Mathis' sack numbers will be nuts this year.

Not so sure about Gilbert. The closer we got to the draft the more we heard about how lackluster his work ethic is. Plus his body looks weird.

I was expected you guys to nab Brandon Tate, but Collie is a solid mid round prospect. From the looks of it, the Colts are going to be more of a running team this year. With Addai and Brown, screw it, why not.

Dunno a ton about Collie but I'm glad we waited til the 4th for a WR. He had a ton of production in college so that has to count for something.

I didn't like the Terrance Taylor pick for you guys. It just doesn't match the scheme. He's way too big and slow to fit that Tampa 2. I know NT is crucial for stopping the run in a Tampa 2, but he just doesn't fit the mold of what a Tampa 2 NT is supposed to be. I just don't see it. Unless you guys are going away from the scheme now that Dungy is gone?

We will still have a cover 2 but there are definitely some changes taking place. We have about 3x more 300+ lb guys at DT now. Our LBs are getting bigger. Coyer runs a defense differently than Dungy/Meeks did. I think Taylor is just what we need to protect our LBs and Bob Sanders from blockers.

chad72
04-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Our division rivals running against us so much plus holding calls not being called on O-linemen have given us the single theme in this draft:

Improve run offense and run defense

If you look at all the picks, none of them were done with a pass rush in mind, more of run stuffing at the DT position, a guard that can pull, and an RB that can get to the next level.

I really do think that some of our DTs may play a 2-gap DT style more frequently instead of just 1-gap all the time under Larry Coyer.

bigbluedefense
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
wow, with the Colts getting away from a pure Tampa 2, and the Bucs not using it anymore, and with every other Cover 2/Tampa 2 team getting away from its philosophy....it seems like its become a dead scheme.

chad72
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
wow, with the Colts getting away from a pure Tampa 2, and the Bucs not using it anymore, and with every other Cover 2/Tampa 2 team getting away from its philosophy....it seems like its become a dead scheme.

Leslie Frazier at Minnesota runs a hybrid with one of the Williams being a 2-technique DT and the other being the traditional 3-technique DT. A lot of coaches run hybrid variations of the Tampa 2, just not the pure Tampa 2.

bigbluedefense
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Leslie Frazier at Minnesota runs a hybrid with one of the Williams being a 2-technique DT and the other being the traditional 3-technique DT. A lot of coaches run hybrid variations of the Tampa 2, just not the pure Tampa 2.

yeah thats what i meant. nobody runs the pure Tampa 2 anymore. its a dead scheme officially now, bc Dungy was the last guy to run it.

Every team in the league runs some concepts of Tampa 2 in their scheme. Even 3-4 teams.

But the pure Tampa 2 as we once knew it is dead.

MaxV
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Sales is a very hard-working player with a great character. He was a good leader in Penn State. There were more talented underclassmen LBs on Penn State's roster, but Joe Paterno refused to give them Sales' spot.

He's a big and strong LB, who plays well vs. the run. On passing downs, he's probably better as a blitzer then in coverage. He has average athleticism.

The highlight of his college career came this past year in the game vs. Ohio State:

At the 0.22 mark. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-UDRGNPNs)

He didn't force that fumble, nor recovered it, but still that was a heads-up play.

killxswitch
04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah thats what i meant. nobody runs the pure Tampa 2 anymore. its a dead scheme officially now, bc Dungy was the last guy to run it.

Every team in the league runs some concepts of Tampa 2 in their scheme. Even 3-4 teams.

But the pure Tampa 2 as we once knew it is dead.

It is weird, but yes it looks like no one is running a pure Tampa 2 anymore. It's hard to run that without the right players, so it makes sense that teams would take the best universal parts and then start using other resources available to modify it.

bigbluedefense
04-27-2009, 01:37 PM
It is weird, but yes it looks like no one is running a pure Tampa 2 anymore. It's hard to run that without the right players, so it makes sense that teams would take the best universal parts and then start using other resources available to modify it.

the problem with a pure Tampa 2 is, running zone concepts every play doesn't work anymore. offenses are too good to just run zone against them. Top tier WRs will eat up zone for breakfast, especially if you go max protect against a scheme that doesn't believe in blitzing. And the evolution of the slot WR has really hurt the zone concepts of the Tampa 2.

And issues against the run late in the season also become a factor. Its so hard finding that SS who is both a stud run stuffer, and a good cover man in 2 deep zone, WHILE being durable enough to last the entire season plus playoffs in that role. Its nearly impossible.

Its not like a 3-4 defense, where you can line up a pass rusher opposite a slot WR and jamn him at the line before breaking off to get him out of his rhythm, and using zone blitz techniques against the pass, and strong 7 man fronts to stop the run while maintaining an ability to stop the deep ball with 2 deep safety.

The Tampa 2 doesn't have that capability, and offenses have found ways around its principles.

Geo
04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=55f18380-deee-46f8-86aa-c5880635fed0

• Fili Moala (6-feet-4, 303 pounds), Southern California. The Colts traded their 2009 fifth-round selection to Miami to move up to the No. 56 selection to acquire Moala, who started 38 of 52 games for Southern Cal, a total that included his last 33 games. Moala finished his Southern Cal career with 90 tackles, including 30 this past season. He had 9.5 sacks at Southern Cal and 23.5 tackles for loss. “What I provide is athletic ability, strength and point of attack,” he said. “I know I have a motor and can run with the best of them. Those are qualities that have gotten me to this point in my career.”

• Terrance Taylor (6-0, 319), Michigan. The Colts selected him with their second fourth-round selection, the No. 136 selection overall. He started three seasons at nose tackle for Michigan, starting 36 games and registering 17.5 tackles for losses and six sacks. He had four tackles for losses and 1.5 sacks this past season as a senior. “A run-stopper,” Taylor called himself Sunday.

Polian said the addition of a true nose tackle was a necessary move.

“That's something we felt like we needed to add in terms of how we structure the defense, and he was the prototypical nose tackle,” Polian said.

The Colts this past season finished 24th in the NFL in rushing defense, allowing 122.9 yards a game, but Polian said there was more to the decision to draft bigger defensive tackles than just statistics. Polian said this past season a trend that had developed in seasons past continued, with teams often running with the objectives to wear down the Colts' defense and limit the Colts' offensive possessions.

A notable instance, he said, was a late-season victory at Cleveland in which the Browns produced just 193 total yards, but ran 32 times for 101 yards and held a 32:14-27:46 time-of-possession advantage. Indianapolis needed a fourth-quarter fumble return by defensive end Robert Mathis for a 10-6 victory.

“They were quite happy to win 6-3,” Polian said. “They happened to lose, 10-6. People were beginning to look at that as a victory, so to speak, if they kept (Colts quarterback) Peyton (Manning) off the field. They battered and bashed our defense. After a while, the physical toll was beginning to show – the number of plays you're out there. Those kinds of things were a trend we felt was starting to take its toll. We made a commitment using the same defensive philosophy to try and get athletic players, but who were bigger.

“Don't forget. Our defense was at its best when we had Booger McFarland (in 2006) and Corey Simon (in 2005) both 300-plus pound guys.

“It's very tough for the smaller guys to stand in there 16 or 19 games and take that.”

killxswitch
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Who is that guy and what did he do with Bill Polian??

Geo
04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
It's been happening since 2006, but he's seen enough apparently.

Although I wonder if this still means Marcus Howard will still be a DE?

Also, if the Colts cut TJ Rushing, then Donald Brown can get his college number of #34.

ironman4579
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Here's the thing with Taylor. As a Michigan fan, I was unbelievably disappointed with his play this year, despite the sig (I have to pimp a Michigan guy every draft). However, he really didn't take well to the new S&C program at Michigan. I know that doesn't sound good, but the problem was (IMO) that he lost too much weight too fast.

He was about 15-20 pounds heavier in his junior season, when he had a pretty darn good year. When he dropped the weight, he seemed to lose alot of strength as well. I think if you guys can get his weight back up, and get him motivated again, he could be a pretty good pick.

Geo
04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Completely agree with you, ironman. I found it interesting that Polian, at yesterday's post-Draft presser, said he was 320 lbs. and in the mold of Raji and Brace. Taylor, despite putting up 37 bench reps as we all know, weighed in at 306 lbs. at the Combine.

Hopefully that means that's how they envision him, if he's not already in the process of putting some weight back on to be a more effective run-stopper.

I'm looking forward to seeing Taylor in a Colts uniform.

MaxV
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Usually, we do very well in the UFA market, but personally I'm not a fan of the guys we've signed.

Geo
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090427/SPORTS03/904270377/1100

Some local flavor has been added to the Indianapolis Colts roster. The team has signed Pat Kuntz, a defensive tackle out of Notre Dame who played at Roncalli H.S.

Kuntz is one of several rookie free agents the Colts signed in the hours after the two-day, seven-round NFL draft. The team isn't expected to release the complete list until Tuesday.

"It feels great,'' said Kuntz, who still resides in Indy. "My phone has basically exploded from all the calls. It's pretty amazing.''

Other rookies who have either agreed to terms or signed contracts following the draft are San Diego wide receiver John Matthews, Kentucky punter Tim Masthay, North Dakota State linebacker Ramon Humber, Tennessee State offensive tackle Cornelius Lewis, Brown tight end Colin Cloherty, Akron cornerback Brandon Anderson and guard Tom Pestock of Northwest Missouri State.
I agree with you Max, I don't see a Melvin Bullitt gem in this group.

Although this offensive lineman Cornelius Lewis sounds interesting.

MaxV
04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
OL with size, certainly a welcome addition.

I'm not sure we have enough room for him though.

Geo
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I still think Michael Toudouze can play, might even be starting right tackle caliber. Ah well.

The two arena league guys signed last week though, I don't think they have much of a shot. Heck, Steve Justice is seriously fighting for his job imo.

Dam8610
04-28-2009, 03:24 AM

I can't say I hate the pick, but it's a first rounder on a RB2 either way you look at it. That's an extremely high investment for RB2 IMO. That said, it will allow the Colts to go to the type of running game that helped them win it all in 2006.

I pretty much agree with everything you said here. I would've definitely preferred the potential of Gilbert to the streaky motor of Moala.

I can't comment on the CBs you drafted, bc I don't know much about them. I thought though you guys had a strong secondary no? The Colts had one of the best pass defenses in the league last year if i recall correctly.

The Colts had a great pass defense, however, they also had a lot of problems at CB2 last year. Add in that Marlin is a pending UFA, and I think CB was a very justifiable pick.

I really like Collie, I think he could excel in the slot for the Colts, plus he fits the profile of recent Colts WRs almost to a T.

I didn't like the pick at first, either, to be honest, but then I thought back to 2005 when the Colts had an amazing DT rotation (the UTs for the Colts that year register a combined total of 16 sacks), and a big part of it was 2 down NT Corey Simon, who was able to clog lanes and allow guys like Reagor, Triplett, and Brock to play more to their strengths. If Moala is the UT we're all hoping for, and someone like Grady can fill that hybrid DT role (run down UT sub, pass down NT sub), we could see a return to that level of DL play for the Colts.

chad72
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I can bet with the addition of size on the Colts DL, teams are going to start passing against the Colts on 2nd down, more than they have been, IMO.

MaxV
04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I can bet with the addition of size on the Colts DL, teams are going to start passing against the Colts on 2nd down, more than they have been, IMO.

This is where Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis come in.......

chad72
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
This is where Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis come in.......

If Mathis does not play 2nd down, chances are, they are going to pass. That is what I was getting at. While it increases Mathis' chances of his legs being fresher, it also increases the number of pass plays from our opponent.

It is an educated guess but I just do not see Mathis playing every down as DE (I can see Freeney doing that) when we have size available on the DL now. But it will depend on how much progress our other DEs make. However, it will not be an issue if we can run the ball and have the ball on offense long enough, that kills several birds with one stone.

I wonder if Larry Coyer will make a pass rushing OLB out of Marcus Howard and retain Curtis Johnson as DE.

chad72
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Colts signed 2 DBs:

CB Brandon Harrison (Michigan)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/...ings-list.html

CB Brandon Anderson (Akron)

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

Dam8610
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
The Colts love UDFA CBs named Brandon. First Brandon Foster last year, now these two.

MaxV
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I really like what I'm hearing about this Cornelius Lewis kid.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/Cornelius-Lewis.php

Sounds like a talented project.

ironman4579
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Colts signed 2 DBs:

CB Brandon Harrison (Michigan)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/...ings-list.html

CB Brandon Anderson (Akron)

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

Harrison is pretty undersized height wise. He is pretty thick though. He's actually played quite a bit of strong safety, as well as nickle corner. If he makes your team, it would likely be on ST. He is a fairly good tackler.

chad72
04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I really like what I'm hearing about this Cornelius Lewis kid.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/Cornelius-Lewis.php

Sounds like a talented project.

The guy that I like even more is Jaimie Thomas from Maryland. He was rated #7 among OG on the draftcountdown website.

To start off, the guy is 6-4 and 330 pounds. He is very athletic and knows how to maul over anyone in front of him. He gave up 1 sack in 162 plays, as a freshman. Howard Mudd must be very excited about getting his hands on this guy and working with him.

He played OT and DT in high school where he also lettered as a basketball player three years. And he is very smart and has his National Honor Society and 3.7 GPA to back it up. He allowed only 1 sack in 3 seasons of high school.

I am glad BP found him in round 7. Our previous round 7 pick, Jamey Richard, ended up being our best rookie OL last year.

Geo
04-28-2009, 07:20 PM
I've already penciled in Thomas in my 53-man roster, I don't want to let him go. :D

Geo
04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Bill Polian on NFL Network on Colts' draft (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d81007211)

Polian on ESPN Radio (http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=4105707)

Radio interviews with the Colts' new draft picks and also Peyton Manning (http://www.1070thefan.com/kravitzandeddie/podcast.aspx)

chad72
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I like what I read about him.

Here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profil...cafee?id=89872

He will be more of a punter and has ways to go with reliability as a kicker. The only way I see him kicking is for kickoffs, he got the ball into the end zone 80% of the time in high school and has played soccer, definitely has a good leg. The plus is he can tackle too and most importantly, has good hang time on most of his kicks (about 4.3 to 4.5 seconds, not too shabby, uh?).

If Ray Rychleski can get our coverage teams in order, the combo of this guy and good coverage will help us with field position more times than not.

fischbowl
04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
I love the Thomas pick, very underrated G and Cornelius Lewis was a fantastic UDFA sign. Great job by the Colts, just thought I'd give my two cents

chad72
04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.mormontimes.com/people_news/sports/?id=7459

The Colts drafted 2 out of the 5 Mormons in the draft????

killxswitch
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.mormontimes.com/people_news/sports/?id=7459

The Colts drafted 2 out of the 5 Mormons in the draft????

Moala's a mormon?

chad72
04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Obtained from:

http://www.nyjetschat.com/forum/inde...howtopic=26437

Our draft pick scores (best test scores, there were several that each took, look up the above link for Wonderlic score at different times)

1. Donald Brown Connecticut 24/34 (24 correct answers out of 34 attempted questions)

2. Fili Moala USC 24/34

3. Jerraud Powers Auburn 20/29

4. Austin Collie Brigham Young 21/27

5. Terrance Taylor Michigan 18/23

6. Curtis Painter Purdue 24/37

7. Jaimie Thomas Maryland 26/36

Geo
04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Impressive, nice job chad.

Last year's class might have had just as good scores, considering the players involved.

chad72
05-01-2009, 11:44 AM
This sounds like a Courtney Roby, John Standerford like pick to me for the pre-season WR test. (http://www.indy.com/posts/57653)

Here is his college profile.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=178461

RCAChainGang
05-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Jerraud Powers - Anybody got a site where I can see some highlights of him?
What did you guys think of this pick?

RagingColt
05-02-2009, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSpfyIaS6wE&feature=related

Dogs don't appear to like him all that much.

Geo
05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
You can't hear it in the video, but reports are that dog was barking "Roll Tide" after the incident. :D

I never paid any attention to Powers, I usually focus on seniors and didn't get to see much of Auburn last year anyways, but he seems really interesting. Obviously he's got good size and speed, but he seems to be a feisty player which I like. His best football looks to be ahead of him, which is exciting. I like him as the 3rd round pick, especially if the Colts lose both Marlin Jackson and Tim Jennings next year (again, depends on the CBA situation).

Some good articles on this weekend's rookie camp:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuFAXX5W4_DpY0rh0Yy6S5aI2bYF?slug=ap-colts-rookies&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=8d16df81-8555-41bb-aa9a-b4795897e0c2

Geo
05-04-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=267b0510-dd04-488c-acaf-a59a1bc83764

COLTS ADD QB-CRANE, LB-TAUILIILI

Monday, May 4
By Colts Public Relations

Colts Add Two Free Agents, Waive Alexander and Dragosavich

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts have signed undrafted college free agents Chris Crane (quarterback, 6-4, 236, Boston College) and Mike Tauiliili (pronounced tau-elee-elee, linebacker, 5-11, 235, Duke), the club announced today.

Crane started 11 games and completed 169 of 307 passes for 1,721 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior at Boston College. Tauiliili, a four-year starter at middle linebacker for Duke, had 140 tackles, three forced fumbles and four interceptions last season. He also was named Defensive MVP of the East-West Shrine Bowl.

Also, the Colts waived linebacker Rufus Alexander and punter Mike Dragosavich on Monday. Alexander signed as a free agent with Indianapolis in December of last season and was inactive in three games with the club.
Hey, Tauiliili is my guy, remember? Keep an eye on this dude, seriously.

Also I like the flier on Chris Crane, maybe he makes the practice squad.

So much for Dragosavich competing for the punter job, and tough luck for Alexander.

Don Vito
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Nice to see Crane getting a chance, if he is healthy he could have a shot to make the roster.

killxswitch
05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Painter vs. Crane - the next big NFL QB controversy.

killxswitch
05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Dang, the first day of minicamp Peria Jerry sprained his knee. Maybe it is good we didn't get him.

Geo
05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I heard about that, and kind of thought the same thing although not with any sort of regret or bullet dodged or that type of thing. Just interest, and thankfully for him and the team it doesn't appear serious in anyway, so maybe it's nothing more than an unfortunate coincidence. Jerry's going to be a good player for the Falcons, they're aiming to build up their defense and he will definitely help.

I'm glad the Colts ended up with Donald Brown and Fili Moala though. I didn't think the Colts would be looking for height from a DT, but that is definitely the case and hopefully Moala will help obstruct the short passes that opponents have performed on a steady basis for the last two years or so. Not to mention add a bigger DT inside who can jump off the snap and move laterally well, just needs some serious refining as a pass rusher. Thankfully there's no talk of Teerlink retiring, lol.

Here's something to think about:

The 4th round pick the Colts used to select WR Austin Collie ... could have gone to Buffalo for DT John McCargo if he had passed his physical in the trade at the deadline. Heh, and the Colts used their 4th round comp on Terrance Taylor.

chad72
05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I heard about that, and kind of thought the same thing although not with any sort of regret or bullet dodged or that type of thing. Just interest, and thankfully for him and the team it doesn't appear serious in anyway, so maybe it's nothing more than an unfortunate coincidence. Jerry's going to be a good player for the Falcons, they're aiming to build up their defense and he will definitely help.

I'm glad the Colts ended up with Donald Brown and Fili Moala though. I didn't think the Colts would be looking for height from a DT, but that is definitely the case and hopefully Moala will help obstruct the short passes that opponents have performed on a steady basis for the last two years or so. Not to mention add a bigger DT inside who can jump off the snap and move laterally well, just needs some serious refining as a pass rusher. Thankfully there's no talk of Teerlink retiring, lol.

Here's something to think about:

The 4th round pick the Colts used to select WR Austin Collie ... could have gone to Buffalo for DT John McCargo if he had passed his physical in the trade at the deadline. Heh, and the Colts used their 4th round comp on Terrance Taylor.

About Austin Collie:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=fb14b7de-0825-47d7-aad0-510462110959

Collie's words that stood out to me (they speak of a highly confident guy):

While Collie played slot receiver in college, and while he was compared to Stokley – who often played the slot with the Colts – on draft day, he said his goal is to not be a slot receiver or an outside receiver, necessarily, but whatever kind of receiver is needed.

“I think I can play anywhere they need me to play,” he said, adding of his collegiate productivity, “Honestly, I think it takes a good receiver to have those numbers. No matter what the system is, or what the system does, or how it's aligned, a receiver who has 1,500 yards and 100 catches – I think it takes a pretty talented receiver.

“There are a lot of guys we spread the ball around to. It wasn't only me, but when the ball did come to me, I made plays.”

About Jerraud Powers:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=23a1e081-1b48-40a0-a29f-b724f7a50a46

This stood out to me, hopefully he won't join the list of our 3rd round picks, looks like Dante Hughes may join that pretty soon if he does not show up this year:

His style of play is similar to that of a current Colts corner. Fifth-year veteran Kelvin Hayden.

“If you think, 'Same style of play as (Colts cornerback) Kelvin Hayden,' that's him,' Polian said, adding that Powers is a “tough, feisty, hard-nosed, a good cover guy.”

Polian said Powers played both outside and in the slot at Auburn.

“He was pretty versatile and we felt very good about that pick,” Polian said. “He's a 4.44(-second) in the 40(-yard dash), and we felt like we needed to upgrade the speed and coverage ability there. He has good ball skills, but he's a very feisty, roughhouse kind of player.”

About Fili Moala:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=5684c8d4-55e4-4e0b-9f07-00106592fa2c

This stood out to me in BP's words:

“This guy isn't necessarily the 'Big Guy' in the middle. He's a bigger guy than we've had. We still need length. We still need athleticism. We still need change of direction. The under tackle is still a guy that has to be able to get through the gap and disrupt.”

“We like his length,” Polian said. “We like his toughness. We like his effort. His speed is good. He's very different than what we're used to having here, but that's fine. We felt like it's a departure, but in the right direction.”

I always felt that the number of tipped balls by our D-line has dramatically gone down recently. It is important, especially for a Tampa 2 defense that can have soft gaps in the middle and a lot of dinks and dunks are thrown in that area out of 2 or 3 step drops. Hopefully Moala can give us those tipped balls with his length.

RCAChainGang
05-21-2009, 10:41 PM
What do you guys think of Terrance Taylor. I loved the pick but some people have told me he doesn't fit the C2 mold. I think he is a step to bigger DT's just like JC promised...

Geo
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I was pretty disappointed with his senior year, although to be fair I was evaluating him as a three-down-type tackle for the Colts. His pass rushing left much to be desired, even though he lost weight and improved his strength and stamina with the new staff under RichRod, he's just not very explosive and won't blow by any offensive lineman.

But as a two-down type run-stuffing NT, especially if he's allowed to get his weight up to 320ish, I am pretty excited about him too. At the very least, I think he'll be a legit quality back-up NT for the Colts.

Seamus2602
05-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Terrence Taylor will come in and play the same sort of role as Antonio Johnson did last year. He will be a 2 down NT who simply will be about strength, size and lateral movement to stop a RB getting through the hole. He will rarely, if ever, be asked to Pass Rush. The key thing about Terrence Taylor, and Fili Moala for that matter, is the team are getting a player with a lot of talent who underperformed. Moala was slated as a potential Top 5 player before his Senior year, while Taylor was a potential 1st Round player. We got them, effectively, for a 2nd Round Pick, a 4th Round Comp Pick and a 5th Round Pick. If Teerlinck and Coyer can get them to play to the level of their abilities then the Colts got 2 absolute steals.

Geo
07-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Scott Wright's Draft Review for the Colts (http://www.draftcountdown.com/reviews/Teams/Indianapolis-Colts.php)

Great write-up by Scott, I thought. Touched on everything well.

MaxV
07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Very good write-up by Scott.