PDA

View Full Version : Best First Round Pick

coordinator0
04-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Who do you guys think had the best first round pick?

I'm gonna be a homer and say the Ravens with Oher because of the amazing value at 23 (even going off Scott's board where he was at 10!).

Michigan
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Hard to go against San Francisco getting Crabtree at 10.

BigBanger
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Robert Ayers at 18 is one I really liked.

Eugene Monroe at 8 is incredible value to me (my #2 player overall).

Jeremy Maclin to Philadelphia. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I think Philadelphia can get the most out of him and him and Jackson on the same field... wow.

Hakeem Nicks to the Giants. He could end up being the best WR from this draft.

jnew76
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Ravens, Eagles, Jets, 49ers

superman
04-25-2009, 07:10 PM
monroe. jags.

senormysterioso
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Chris Wells' but he's going to take the Arizona offense from great to ***** spectacular, especially if they can keep Boldin. Great value late in the first round also.

princefielder28
04-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Jacksonville, San Francisco, Baltimore

MooshooGawd
04-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm not going to be a homer and say Andre Smith.

I like what the Jets did. Giving up nothing for their stud QB.

TACKLE
04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Jacksonville, San Francisco, Baltimore

I totally agree.

Chief49er
04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
49ers
Michael Crabtree

Ravens
Michael Oher

ZomgMichealCrabtree
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I say in order of biggest steals it would have to be Ravens, 49ers, Jacksonville. I have no idea how Oher dropped so far O.o

BuffaloBillsDraft
04-25-2009, 08:53 PM
In 3 years, Buffalo will have the best 1st round.

Very excited about Maybin and Wood.

3pac
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I love the Donald Brown pick for the Colts. We're always getting torched by speedy, explosive backs like Steve Slaton, MJD, and Chris Johnson (all in our division, obviously). Now we have one of our own.

(And our 2nd round pick, DT Fili Moala is even more awesome....)

abaddon41_80
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
When it comes to value its hard to argue against San Francisco, Jacksonville, or Baltimore. I'll go with San Francisco.

Hurricanes25
04-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Crabtree to San Fran

A Perfect Score
04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Cant go against Crabtree to San Fran. I thought he was the best overall player in the draft and to get him at 10 is incredible.

Also, the little homer in me loves the Oher pick at 23. Ive always stated he will be the best OT from this class, so obviously im elated.

SenorGato
04-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Jets. It's the homer in me, but Sanchez is a damn good QB prospect. Reminds me of a young, healthy Pennington...and Pennington before having his shoulder torn to shreds was a franchise QB in the making.

I also liked the Nicks pick by the Giants. I didn't and don't buy any work ethic questions about him from this supposed weight gain he had. He's the second best pure WR in this draft, and he could easily have the better rookie year than Crabtree.

E-Man
04-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I hate to say it, but it's Maclin to Philly. Jackson was a good find for them last year, and Maclin gives McNabb two guys that can do some work in open space.

SaintsMan
04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Jenkins! :)

jsagan77
04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Orakpo to the Skins... Huge for them IMO..

Byrd430
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Well the best pick is the best player available right? So that's Seattle with Aaron Curry.

But yeah, I really like Jax getting Monroe, SF getting Crabs, Skins getting Orakpo, Ravens getting Oher, and Cards gettin Wells.

Crabs is probably the best value IMO.

CJSchneider
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
49ers - Michael Crabtree at #10

Ravens - Michael Oher at #23

BaLLiN
04-25-2009, 09:56 PM
49ers - Michael Crabtree at #10

Ravens - Michael Oher at #23

i agree, the value there was too good

Flyboy
04-25-2009, 10:00 PM
New York Jets and 49ers imo.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I think the big ones are...
Crabs to SF
Orakpo to WAS (I think he will develop into a beast as a RE)
Monroe to the Jags
Maclin to my Eagles:D
Oher to the Ravens
Wells to AZ.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Robert Ayers at 18 is one I really liked.

Eugene Monroe at 8 is incredible value to me (my #2 player overall).

Jeremy Maclin to Philadelphia. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I think Philadelphia can get the most out of him and him and Jackson on the same field... wow.

Hakeem Nicks to the Giants. He could end up being the best WR from this draft.

He was on my bust list when I figured he'd be drafted as an LE in the 4-3. He wasn't even worth a top 25, IMO, and I think he is one of the higher players with a potential to bust, especially now that they moved him out to OLB...

TitanHope
04-25-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm gonna go with Green Bay. When you look around, the 3-4 teams worth their salt have good NT's. GB is installing a 3-4, and with their 1st pick, they took a NT.

I like Jax getting Monroe. Another OT confuses me, but they potentially got their bookend OT's in one draft - something that has paid off for the Titans.

Thank you for taking an OT, Cincy, and not a WR or something. The Bengals are gonna have Maualuga and Rivers at LB next year, reuniting the USC LB's.

I'm wondering if the Ravens will be putting Oher at RT. I think they have a good, young LT in Jared Gaither.

I think the Falcons got a stud in Peria Jerry.

Matthew Jones
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
My top five first rounders outside of the top 10:

#13 - Brian Orakpo to the Redskins

#19 - Jeremy Maclin to the Eagles

#25 - Vontae Davis to the Dolphins

#29 - Hakeem Nicks to the Giants

#31 - Chris Wells to the Cardinals

I'd say Maclin and Beanie were probably the two best values in that round.

A Perfect Score
04-25-2009, 10:16 PM
He was on my bust list when I figured he'd be drafted as an LE in the 4-3. He wasn't even worth a top 25, IMO, and I think he is one of the higher players with a potential to bust, especially now that they moved him out to OLB...

actually, they said they were going to play him as a 5 tech in a 3-4...not sure how reliable that is, but thats what Mayock and Casserly were saying during the draft...

I'm gonna go with Green Bay. When you look around, the 3-4 teams worth their salt have good NT's. GB is installing a 3-4, and with their 1st pick, they took a NT.

I like Jax getting Monroe. Another OT confuses me, but they potentially got their bookend OT's in one draft - something that has paid off for the Titans.

Thank you for taking an OT, Cincy, and not a WR or something. The Bengals are gonna have Maualuga and Rivers at LB next year, reuniting the USC LB's.

I'm wondering if the Ravens will be putting Oher at RT. I think they have a good, young LT in Jared Gaither.

I would assume we would put Oher, the natural LT, at LT and kick Gaither over to the right side, where I believe he is more suited anyways.

Brothgar
04-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I would say no doubt Jeremy Maclin at 19. He was a top 10 pick for like a month before the draft.

Byrd430
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Great point about Green Bay's NT. Building up that 3-4, you have to have that key NT. A 3-4 will not be successful without it.

Another great point about the Falcons. This team wanted Dorsey last year, so to get their franchise QB in Ryan and follow it up with Jerry this year is a great move. Adds more pass rush up front and helps Abraham out at end.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2009, 10:36 PM
actually, they said they were going to play him as a 5 tech in a 3-4...not sure how reliable that is, but thats what Mayock and Casserly were saying during the draft...

Really? He is going to seriously need to add some wieght then. He plays with good technique, and would be a good run stuffer as a 4-3 End, but not in the 3-4, he is waaaay too small at his weight now, which is like 270. And he doesn't have near enough strength to make up for it. He is also on the shorter side as a 5 technique, but his height is doable. I say its much more likely he fails as an OLB than him failing as a 5 technique.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-25-2009, 10:37 PM
O-Sack-Po. Oher was also a tremendous pick. He and Gaither will be beastly. Crabtree was a great pick. I actually love Pettigrew. He will be a safety net early for Stafford and also pass block for him. Not hard to miss with the Lions when every position is a need. Hate the Eagles for getting Maclin.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2009, 10:39 PM
O-Sack-Po. Oher was also a tremendous pick. He and Gaither will be beastly. Crabtree was a great pick. I actually love Pettigrew. He will be a safety net early for Stafford and also pass block for him. Not hard to miss with the Lions when every position is a need. Hate the Eagles for getting Maclin.

If its any consolation, I hate the Redskins for getting Orakpo...

Dudes gonna tear **** up...

the decider13
04-25-2009, 10:40 PM

I believe that...I heard someone quote McD as saying he thought Ayers could bulk up to near 300 to play 3-4 DE. Hopefully he works out. I do like Moreno.

I think Sanchez has to be the best...Jets got a great deal in the trade.

TitanHope
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
When I saw Denver pick Ayers, I thought he would play 3-4 DE. Never really viewed him as a OLB prospect. He's a little undersized, but he has long arms which is a great attribute to have in a 5-tech.

Ayers played like a 5-tech even when he played in a 4-3. Maybe Denver's next Trevor Pryce?

the decider13
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
When I saw Denver pick Ayers, I thought he would play 3-4 DE. Never really viewed him as a OLB prospect. He's a little undersized, but he has long arms which is a great attribute to have in a 5-tech.

Ayers played like a 5-tech even when he played in a 4-3. Maybe Denver's next Trevor Pryce?

Best case scenario of course...I miss Pryce. It would definately reduce my anger if he could develop in to a Pryce-esque guy.

BTW...just looked up Pryce and it said he measures in at 6'5" 290. Similar measureables to Ayers if he can bulk up some.

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Ayers is just a shad over 6'3, but I really don't think he will succeed. I never liked Ayers, and his strength as a run stopper could be slightly minimized now since he will be up against Guards more often than if he was in the 4-3.

703SKINS202
04-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Even if its homer you know Arokpo to 13 is a huge steal for us especially with the addition of Haynesworth. Got to look to add some o-line depth in day 2.

2 Live Crew
04-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Oher and Orakpo for me was great bang for your buck.

initial_flo
04-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Freeman to the Bucs. [with enough time] A QB with all the potential in the world at 17 is nice.

Oher to the Ravens. The best pick in the first by far.

Wells to the Cards. Awesome value getting a possible 30 carry guy that late and in a position they really really needed.

Brent
04-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Monroe to the Jags
Crabtree to San Francisco
Orakpo to the Redskins
Oher to the Ravens
Wells to the Cards

I thought those five had crazy value.

NIN1984
04-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Monroe to the Jags @ 8 good for them, big steal.

gpngc
04-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Top ten picks of Day 1 IMO:

1) Mark Sanchez to the Jets.
2) Michael Crabtree to the 49ers.
3) Rey Maualuga to the Bengals.
4) Jeremy Maclin to the Eagles.
5) LeSean McCoy to the Eagles.
6) Peria Jerry to the Falcons.
7) Percy Harvin to the Vikings.
8) Pat White to the Dolphins.
9) Andre Smith to the Bengals.
10) Robert Ayers to the Broncos.

Mr.Regular
04-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Oher, Wells, Maualuga and Crabtree are the obvious ones but I think the best move of all was Seattle getting Denvers next #1 for Alphonso Smith.

gpngc
04-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Oher, Wells, Maualuga and Crabtree are the obvious ones but I think the best move of all was Seattle getting Denvers next #1 for Alphonso Smith.

They're just going to use that pick to solidify the already solid LB corps. Then unsolidify the LB corps by releasing a good LB. :D

gary4chargers
04-26-2009, 02:45 AM
San Fran, Green Bay, Detroit

BlindSite
04-26-2009, 02:52 AM
Oher and Crabtree were great picks.

I'm happy with the Panthers finishing the day how they did, I just hope the move to trade another future first pays off.

Roadrunner
04-27-2009, 02:57 AM
The best draft (or maybe I should say "beast draft") was subtle but goes to Jacksonville, at least as far as the top tier goes. I know it's not one pick but these two guys will compliment one another very well (It may not be the best pick but it is IMO the most underrated selection(s) in the draft.

Jacksonville
1 (8) Eugene Monroe, ot, Virginia.
2 (39) Eben Britton, ot, Arizona.

They just shored up their offensive tackle positions for the next 12 years barring injury, contract disputes, and that type of thing.

Recall Britton is actually a Junior (not a senior) and he is ready now (so it's like getting an extra year out of your pick). It sounds like Britton is a pretty sharp thinker and believe it or not, that is important in football too, especially on OL and QB positions.

"A highly intelligent athlete, Britton was a Scholar-Athlete Award winner and four-time Honor Roll student" . . .

The whole article here . . . .http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/556821

The worst is likely DHB. Probably because of the dropped-passes issue. I got this info second-hand though (from reading guys like you).

I like the Brandon Pettigrew draft by the Lions because a TE of his ability and stature IS QB protection possibly (when held in to block), but also takes care of a skill position. I think Pettigrew has a history of soft hands. It is very frustrating having a TE (or any pass target) with brick hands.

As far as the Lions QB Stafford getting beat up, they may know that, and keep Daunte out there to absorb the hits until more blocking help is on the way. Think free agency and future draft picks. But after watching Atlanta and Miami success last year, everybody is thinking "worst to first" or something like that.

I'll add another . . . . The most unpredictable is Percy Harvin. He is loaded with physical talent but allegedly had marijuana baggage at the NFL combine.

Is this due to . . .
1. Stupidity?
2. Apathy?
3. Rebelliousness?
4. Uncontrollable Addiction?
5. Poor (and wrong) reporting by the media?

Any of the first 4 and it could cost a team dearly in a playoff run.

They need to shadow him with a "coach" for babysitting purposes possibly.

Minneapolis paper also suggests Harvin is not very bright . . . .

Percy Harvin scored very low on an intelligence test:

. . . . "Harvin isn't without flaws. He reportedly tested positive for marijuana at the combine. Additionally, he reportedly scored just a 12 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test. It is alarming that he knew a test was coming in February and failed it anyway. That's why he's an option late in the first round. On talent alone, he would be a top-15 pick". . . .

The rest of this article here . . . http://www.startribune.com/yourvoices/43699622.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUdcOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

This is allegedly roughly the equivalent of an IQ of 84 according to a Wikipedia article and formula they give on the "Wonderlic Test".

He also has some other baggage and injury issues, but as far as injuries he gets MANY touches so therefore many injury chances as well I suppose.

Oddly enough, this pick could easily be the best or the worst (1st round) pick of 2009 depending on Harvin himself.