PDA

View Full Version : So... Day 1 you like?

Brothgar
04-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Post them now no revisionist history later.

1. Matt Stafford
20. Brandon Pettigrew
33. Louis Delmas

You don't like the pick who would you rather have. If you would have taken Rey at 20 don't say you would have taken him at 33.

Aard
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
#1 QB on the board.
#1 TE on the board.
#1 Safety on the board.

What's not to like?

Brothgar
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
1. I wanted Raji but I'm fine with Stafford
20. I wanted Oher. I am warming to Pettigrew.
33. With Pettigrew I wanted Rey.

ESPforMe
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I like all 3 picks.

detroit4life
04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
pretty pissed they passed on rey twice. other then that i do like it i just dont see where they r goin with DT and ILB

BRAVEHEART
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
I love it, They picked the perfect guys. This is the first time where I haven't been pissed or confused about a first day pick.

It's got me really excited to see who they want to get in the second day.

Addict
04-25-2009, 09:00 PM
solid. I like what we did today. Three top guys at their position. I wasn't too excited about Delmas at 33, but the safety run that followed sorta vindicated that selection for me. I probably would have preferred Darius Butler there.

Sick value to be had in round three though: Sidbury, M.Johnson, Duke Robinsin, Gilbert... amazing.

Calvin & Kevin
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I have to ride the fence on this one, sorry. They had opportunities to fill obvious needs, but went for who they thought were the best players instead.

So the measure of whether they were right can only come if those players prove to be worth it. A great QB, TE and FS (I assume) will really help your team a ton. But only time can say if these guys turn out that way.

Edit: I will say that with all 3 picks they got the highest rated player at their position. So that right there will get a "yes" vote from me, but a probationary one until we see what these guys got.

Addict
04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
I have to ride the fence on this one, sorry. They had opportunities to fill obvious needs, but went for who they thought were the best players instead.

So the measure of whether they were right can only come if those players prove to be worth it. A great QB, TE and FS (I assume) will really help your team a ton. But only time can say if these guys turn out that way.

Edit: I will say that with all 3 picks they got the highest rated player at their position. So that right there will get a "yes" vote from me, but a probationary one until we see what these guys got.

I believe Delmas is a SS, but could be just me.

The point isn't to rate the class, that's far too early, just... do you like what they did?

BRAVEHEART
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
My thing for the people that are crying over Oher and Maualuga.

1. OT is not our greatest need, not even the greatest need on the o-line.
2. When did Schwartz and the Titans care about a highly rated ILB?

This is an excellent first day, and Mayhew (and the rest of the staff) deserve a thumbs up atleast.

Tell me the last time we had a first day better than this....I'll be waiting.

Brothgar
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Based on Scott's overall Rankings we got

#1 overall player (Stafford)
#15 overall Player (Pettigrew)
#34 overall Player (Delmas)
I'm not saying I like it much more but I am not nearly as pissed as I was in the heat of the moment.

Xiomera
04-25-2009, 09:10 PM
I'll give it a B.

Burger
04-25-2009, 09:12 PM
You guys did pretty damn good, so you guys get a B+

Brodeur
04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Can't fill all the holes this team has in one day, so it was a valiant effort I suppose. I'll give it a B-.

Calvin & Kevin
04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
I believe Delmas is a SS, but could be just me.

The point isn't to rate the class, that's far too early, just... do you like what they did?

Yeah.. i know what you're saying but I just can't answer.

I think they went away from conventional wisdom and went for the best possible players, period. So if you're going to do that, you better damn well be right. If you got star players at TE and S, you really helped your team a ton. If you missed, you really screwed up for not addressing your obvious needs.

I just can't give you an honest reaction until I get some idea of how good these guys are.

Iamcanadian
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
If Stafford pans out, it will be a true A+ not like the ones Millen got every year. If Stafford flops and Sanchez booms, it will be a D IMO. It is all going to come down on how well Stafford develops. If Mayhew is right about Stafford, I'll tip my hat to him.
Pettigrew was my favourite player in the draft. He's like having another LT on the field and when used to pass block will be a huge assest to our OL. As a run blocker he is a shear monster and again adds a real dimention to our offense. He will also be a comfort receiver for Stafford as a pass receiver should Johnson be covered.
Delmas is a SS and will put real leadership into our defense as well as fear in WR's hearts. His only problem is he hits so hard, so often, you have to wonder if his body can stand up to the punishment.
It is quite obvious that at least Mayhew had a real plan for the team and if Stafford booms, we could be a contender in a short time.

Saints-Tigers
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Strong first day, I'd have taken Oher over Pettigrew, too good of a value to pass IMO, but Pettigrew was still a good pick, and I like Delmas over Rey.

Prowler
04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
i like it as a whole

Xiomera
04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
If Stafford pans out, it will be a true A+ not like the ones Millen got every year. If Stafford flops and Sanchez booms, it will be a D IMO. It is all going to come down on how well Stafford develops. If Mayhew is right about Stafford, I'll tip my hat to him.
Pettigrew was my favourite player in the draft. He's like having another LT on the field and when used to pass block will be a huge assest to our OL. As a run blocker he is a shear monster and again adds a real dimention to our offense. He will also be a comfort receiver for Stafford as a pass receiver should Johnson be covered.
Delmas is a SS and will put real leadership into our defense as well as fear in WR's hearts. His only problem is he hits so hard, so often, you have to wonder if his body can stand up to the punishment.
It is quite obvious that at least Mayhew had a real plan for the team and if Stafford booms, we could be a contender in a short time.

Oh my God. Kind words from IAC about the Lions (sorta).

oldschool21
I like the Delmas pick. Although, I am not a fan of the Pettigrew pick. I would of taken Oher over him as well. I probably would of taken Rey or Everette Brown over Pettigrew. That is just me though.

Brothgar

Does Linehan's scheme normally use Max Protect?

Brothgar
04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh my God. Kind words from IAC about the Lions (sorta).

I know ... maybe I should change my mind...

mgoblue
04-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Stafford D
Pettigrew B-
Delmas B+

El Peefs?????
04-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Not a big fan of the Pettigrew pick at all. I think there were a lot of other routes we could have went there that would ultimately be much more beneficial to the team than a TE. That sort of seems like a luxury pick an already good team would go with, not one who is weak at every position.

I thought we were money with Rey in the 2nd. Delmas better be a good pro.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Not a big fan of the Pettigrew pick at all. I think there were a lot of other routes we could have went there that would ultimately be much more beneficial to the team than a TE. That sort of seems like a luxury pick an already good team would go with, not one who is weak at every position.

I thought we were money with Rey in the 2nd. Delmas better be a good pro.

This, we didnt address Dline or MLB which pissed me the hell off. We have decent safeties in Bullocks and Alexander. We have NO MLB though, and we're still missing 2 starting DTs. Overall i give our draft a C+, we did grab some quality players but we didn't fill needs.

detroitsports
04-26-2009, 01:56 AM
I think the addition of a good blocking TE will do more good for this team than any of the tackles available could've. I like it.

WMD
04-26-2009, 01:58 AM
I like it. I don't really love it, but I definitely don't hate it.

D-Unit
04-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Oher and Maualuga > Pettigrew and Delmas

detroitsports
04-26-2009, 02:08 AM
I think I would've preferred to get maualuga with 33. We do need safety help though. Along with every other position....

Addict
04-26-2009, 05:09 AM
This, we didnt address Dline or MLB which pissed me the hell off. We have decent safeties in Bullocks and Alexander. We have NO MLB though, and we're still missing 2 starting DTs. Overall i give our draft a C+, we did grab some quality players but we didn't fill needs.

MLB isn't really an important position in the scheme Schwartz uses... It really isn't we could get by with Dizon and do just fine, the Titans did excellent with Tulloch.
Not taking a DT is unfortunate, but 20 was too early foor Hood and at 33 Brace wouldn't have made any sense. I can at least understand this.

Xiomera
04-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Oher and Maualuga > Pettigrew and Delmas

No way D. No way.
Enjoy Derrick Williams!

Aard
04-26-2009, 09:50 AM
This will be regarded as a great draft by the Lions if...

1) Matt Stafford is still starting for the Lions four years from now;
2) Rey Maualuga is regarded as a bust four years from now;
3) Michael Oher is regarded as merely average four years from now.

SINCE1978
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
I like day 1. Pettigrew will be awesome for Linehan/Stafford to paly with and Delmas is straight up a heat seeking missile.
Day 2 started great with the trade to get more picks but Deandre Levy???? Looks like the will take an athletic, small OLB and turn him into our Mike ... not a fan. Brinkley or Mckillop were better suited or a DT.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I liked day 1.

Stafford obviously everyone wanted and we desperately needed a potential franchise guy.

Pettigrew, I wasn't happy at first but when thinking about it, his talent is definitely worth that pick, and does a number of things for our team. In line blocking is something we have been greatly missing. Pettigrew is supposedly a great blocker which will help our two tackles. Double teaming Jared Allen with Backus and Pettigrew I really like. Safety valve for Stafford. Trenches are helped and the passing/running game is helped. Assuming he pans out, if he doesn't we'll always wonder what if with Oher and Peria Jerry.

Delmas is a good pick. I know we passed on Rey, but Delmas is multi dimensional help for this team. We stink in the secondary(Dwight Smith,Pearson,Alexander injured) so Delmas puts a pretty studly safety there. Also he's another really good tackler and should help in run support. So much bad tackling from the safety position last year turning decent runs into big gashing runs. So just like Pettigrew is multidimensional help in both pass and run, so is Delmas. For a team that needs tons of help, getting players that help in multiple areas is a good idea. This is more than a one year process. I think everyone knows this but doesn't think about this when analyzing draft picks. And 3 years from now is the true story on these picks.

eeth
04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I really like picking a Safety for the fact that at least to me I'm seeing other young safeties make an early impact. There is nothing like watching a WR catch a ball to get smoked by a safety or to stop running plays.

ShoeLB50
04-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Horrible passing on some great players at positions of need but I like Pettigrew and Delmas alot so after the initial shock and polishing off a 30 rack im warming up from being pissed to ok with it so i wont vote.