PDA

View Full Version : So for Bronco fans keeping score.

CT Bronco Fan
04-25-2009, 09:40 PM
We traded Jay Cutler for:

Kyle Orton
Robert Ayers (12th overall)
Alphonso Smith (Traded Bears 1st next year to Seattle)
Richard Quinn (Traded our 3rd round, and Bears 3rd round to acquire)

Diehard
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
I guess we'll see how it turns out...

the decider13
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I read it was our 1st next year...my anger level changes greatly depending on which one it was.

I like Smith and Ayers, but not at the cost. If Ayers can turn in to Trevor Price and Smith can turn in to Darrent Williams, it might not seem so bad. Hard to judge at this point.

But Quinn is freakin crazy pick

eaglesalltheway
04-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry Broncos fans, but I though Chicago won the deal before, and now I really think they won the deal. I like smith, but he isn't worth that first rounder. Of course there is plenty of time to prove me wrong, but i really think Chicago got the better end of the deal... I think Ayers will be a bust, and Quinn made me say WTF.

CT Bronco Fan
04-25-2009, 11:35 PM
If it's the Broncos 1st rounder, that makes the trade even worse. Congratulations Seattle, you turned a 2nd round pick into an almost lock for the top 10 next year. And our consolation prize is a slow and short corner.

the decider13
04-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Sorry Broncos fans, but I though Chicago won the deal before, and now I really think they won the deal. I like smith, but he isn't worth that first rounder. Of course there is plenty of time to prove me wrong, but i really think Chicago got the better end of the deal... I think Ayers will be a bust, and Quinn made me say WTF.

As of now though, you are in the minority in thinking of Ayers as becoming a bust. I actually like Ayers and suggested him going to the Broncos at 18 prior to the draft. All three players were guys that McD and company were completely enamored of.

Quinn on the other hand....I can not defend

and CT, it was our pick

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12228231

CT Bronco Fan
04-25-2009, 11:45 PM
There really is only one word to describe how the off season and draft have gone for the Broncos this offseason: despicable

the decider13
04-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm gonna try to stay positive. I do like Orton, always have. I think Dawkins and Hill are solid additions to the secondary. The offense should still be quite a beast this year, with Marshall and Royal having another year under their belts.
I liked Ayers and Moreno going in to the draft, they just got picked backwards, which doesn't make a difference. I like smith, but the price tag of our first this year is steep at this point. If he proves to be great, won't seem so bad.

my rationalization

CT Bronco Fan
04-25-2009, 11:56 PM
I've always been a optimist when it comes to the Broncos, but this off season and what has happened almost has me sick to my stomach.

jCut
04-26-2009, 12:00 AM
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

the decider13
04-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Me too...from where I am sitting now I see my nice Cutler jersey hanging in the closet. I try not to think about it lol

I don't want stupid stuff McD did block out getting Dawkins (which is awesome) and getting 2 players I liked in Ayers and Moreno. Apparently that was the plan the whole time, as they were so quick to go up with there pick and not grab orakpo.

At least he had a plan and wasn't just grabbing people like I first thought lol
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12228090

Diehard
04-26-2009, 12:04 AM
my rationalization

Roll with it. Better than going postal...

Actually, I'm starting to warm up to the Quinn pick. If the 2 TE + single back set ends up being one of our base formations, the negative buzz about the trade up will seem trivial. Our OL w/ Graham and Quinn blocking for Moreno could be pretty punishing... especially if Quinn turns out to be a reliable receiver (his limited catches at NC were due to scheme, apparently he caught the ball pretty well at the workouts).

Trading next year's first is the tough part. Obviously they valued Smith as a 1st round talent... but it could be a high price to pay in the end. McDaniels has pretty much staked everything on the team doing well this year. If the young kids contribute to a decent season, I think all will be forgiven. If we go 4-12, well, that's would be a very nasty situation for a certain rookie HC.

the decider13
04-26-2009, 12:19 AM
McDaniels has pretty much staked everything on the team doing well this year. If the young kids contribute to a decent season, I think all will be forgiven. If we go 4-12, well, that's would be a very nasty situation for a certain rookie HC.

This is pretty much the most important thing to know...McD is cocky enough to stake his entire coaching career on making a decent team this year. I'll be impressed if he does.

jth1331
04-26-2009, 07:03 AM
A decent 1st round to be honest with Moreno and Ayers.
Horrible 2nd round due to what we gave up. I think they are solid players, but not worth throwing out there a 1st next year and 2 3rd rounders for Smith and Quinn.

Namy
04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
So Cutler = Orton, Ayers, and Alphonso Smith?

And Knowshon Moreno?? Seriously?? I mean, I love him as a RB, but what was the point of all the FA RBs we picked up then? I think we have like 11 RBs on our depth chart...

This draft was horrible.

Diehard
04-27-2009, 03:39 PM
So Cutler = Orton, Ayers, and Alphonso Smith?

Something like that. No point in drawing conclusions until you actually see them develop.

And Knowshon Moreno?? Seriously?? I mean, I love him as a RB, but what was the point of all the FA RBs we picked up then? I think we have like 11 RBs on our depth chart...

A lot of those guys are camp fodder, and none were the obvious starter. I think everyone we had last year is dead meat except for Hillis. Assuming the rest manage to hold on to roster spots:

Buckhalter - 1st and 2nd down back, when he's not on IR
Arrington - 3rd down / returner
Jordan - goal line & veteran depth

All three of them are going to share carries with Moreno. That leaves Hillis to play FB / H-Back.

This draft was horrible.

No, it just wasn't what a lot of people expected... which is funny because McDaniels was pretty up front about their approach just prior to the draft.

They took guys who they felt fit the system and would be able to contribute immediately. They enhanced the running game to help out our new QB's. They continued to rebuild the secondary. Obviously they didn't like the 3-4 DL value in the draft, but we did get some guys via UDFA who might pan out.

Did they burn some value trading up? Yes, no question about it. McDaniels took some risks to bring in the guys they wanted. We'll have to see how that pans out...

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Are you guys sure they won't just get the worse of our two 1sts? Cuz **** me if we traded our own #1. That has top 3 pick written all over it.

OneToughGame
04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
We traded Jay Cutler for:

Kyle Orton
Robert Ayers (12th overall)
Alphonso Smith (Traded Bears 1st next year to Seattle)
Richard Quinn (Traded our 3rd round, and Bears 3rd round to acquire)

I keep hearing you guys traded your first not the Bears.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
04-28-2009, 11:23 PM
it would be hilarious if you guys have a season like the Falcons (when everyone expected them to be in contention for #1 overall) and then you guys would have to eat crow.

the decider13
04-28-2009, 11:25 PM
it would be hilarious if you guys have a season like the Falcons (when everyone expected them to be in contention for #1 overall) and then you guys would have to eat crow.

Well I'm staying positive and predicted 9-7...so if we do really bad, I will be eating crow. And it will suck.

jCut
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't want to jump to any conclusions, so I'm just gonna predict 8-8 and take a wait-and-see approach with this draft class. I do like the UDFA pick-ups so far.

StorminNorman
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Denver picked up the Offensive Rookie of the Year and a defensive starter in the first round. Broncos fans really need to chill.

the decider13
04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Denver picked up the Offensive Rookie of the Year and a defensive starter in the first round. Broncos fans really need to chill.

Did you read this at all? Most the Bronco fans are talking good...it's everyone else that is tearin it up.

04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I just don't think we'll be good, plain and simple. Our defense was and remains a MESS. We helped it out a bit, Smith is good, Ayers is good, Dawkins is still good but other than Dawkins we don't know what they will do. On offense, we're breaking in a new QB, and while I love Knowshon, I don't know how good he will be in his first year. I can't believe we traded a probable top 10 for number ******* 37.

the decider13
04-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Gah, Merril Hodge is stupid....he said Moreno is a bad fit in Denver because he can't be an every down back and will be limited to 3rd down duties a la Kevin Faulk. If anyone will be the 3rd down "Kevin Faulk" I think it would be Hillis.

I think most people have always seen Moreno as an everyone down back, so idk where Hodge is pulling this from.

Me Likey Rookies
05-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Is there any definitive confirmation on what pick was traded for Alphonso Smith?

the decider13
05-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Is there any definitive confirmation on what pick was traded for Alphonso Smith?

It was the Broncos' 2010 first rounder, not the bears.

05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
FMLaaaaaaaaaaa