PDA

View Full Version : In Ozzie We Should Not Trust

EdReedUnstoppable
04-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Horrible day 1. Way to trade up to get a guy who easily makes it to 26 and give away a pick that we drastically need in this the year of only having 6 picks. And way to once again (except for last year) throw away your 2nd rd pick.......Gilbert and Johnson young stud DE's on the board....no thanks lets take a guy who has no potential to be great. Thanks Oz!

BTW don't hate Oher but to me a guy like Maualuga or Kenny Britt helps this team much more than a luxury pick like Oher. We're not in a position to be taking luxury picks, teams like the Steelers are and guess what, we fell back another step behind them today.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I think you are overreacting. Not how anyone seen it but not a bad 1st day.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Kruger doesnt have as a high as a ceiling as Johnson or Gilbert, but Kruger can be molded into a perfect replacement for pryce. it isnt like its a horrible pick but I do agree I would have prefered Gilbert over him.

R/W/O sorry for editing your post, I thought I was typing up my post. but I think I fixed it back to normal

The Legend
04-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Oher was a GREAT pick! And I truly believe that. This gives us one of the best young offensive lines.

I'm mad we didn't take Sean Smith in the 2nd round though, but Ozzie is a greaking genius and he knows what he is doing.

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 07:16 AM
We moved up to take a guy who was a potential TOP 10 pick according to some. Miami would have selected him if we didn't. This kid has the heart and desire to do anything. His interview with Erin Andrews was not a fluke or fluff that was really him.. its going to be scary with him on the right side or as a back up plan to Gaither if for some reason his progression stops...

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-26-2009, 07:23 AM
We moved up to take a guy who was a potential TOP 10 pick according to some. Miami would have selected him if we didn't. This kid has the heart and desire to do anything. His interview with Erin Andrews was not a fluke or fluff that was really him.. its going to be scary with him on the right side or as a back up plan to Gaither if for some reason his progression stops...

Yup hopefully we can get Flacco the same protection as Manning and Brady has had there careers. I like it because our main priority is to make sure Flacco develops into a good QB and it all starts with protection.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-26-2009, 07:33 AM
ERU, your an idiot. Football games are "Won in the Trenches" Adding Oher to an already young and improving o-line was probably the best move we could have done with who was on the board. And did you ever stop to think about the teams behind us?? Pittsburgh maybe?? that mighta wanted to trade up to get Oher? Your crying about giving up a 5th for a top 15 talent?? you always do this(flame Ozzie) on draft day, and your always wrong. As for Paul Kruger, he is your typical Raven pick. I think he'll be a versitile monster for us. He can bulk up to 280 and play the 5 technique and still play OLB at that wieght. The games are won through the trenches and we just made ours much better, younger, and versitile with Oher and Kruger.

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 08:06 AM
If we are going to take a flyer on a WR I sure hope we don't take one on Barden... I really think he is the Michael Johnson of the WR group... great measureables but it wont equate to the field. I would rather see us take a guy like Johnny Knox. Great speed and is in the mold physically of a Torry Holt 6' 200lbs and has speed to burn (sub 4.4 40) I think he could be a sleeper on day 2

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Is anybody surprised that ERU is unhappy? lol. Oher was probably the best OL we could have taken in the draft because he can/should play RT effectively, where the other guys cannot (I have Oher above Andre).

Kruger is growing on me. I read in an article on the Ravens home website that they want him to add some weight (get up to about 285) so he can be an every down lineman. I think he will be a good player for us.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 09:08 AM
If we are going to take a flyer on a WR I sure hope we don't take one on Barden... I really think he is the Michael Johnson of the WR group... great measureables but it wont equate to the field. I would rather see us take a guy like Johnny Knox. Great speed and is in the mold physically of a Torry Holt 6' 200lbs and has speed to burn (sub 4.4 40) I think he could be a sleeper on day 2

Knox is a intriguing prospect, he has decent size and blazing speed and alright hands.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 09:11 AM
I like how you guys completely skip over how I said I like OHER!!! God some of you are ****** ********!

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Horrible day 1. Way to trade up to get a guy who easily makes it to 26 and give away a pick that we drastically need in this the year of only having 6 picks. And way to once again (except for last year) throw away your 2nd rd pick.......Gilbert and Johnson young stud DE's on the board....no thanks lets take a guy who has no potential to be great. Thanks Oz!

BTW don't hate Oher but to me a guy like Maualuga or Kenny Britt helps this team much more than a luxury pick like Oher. We're not in a position to be taking luxury picks, teams like the Steelers are and guess what, we fell back another step behind them today.

First you said horrible day 1. No one said you didn't like Oher we are just saying that taking Oher doesn't make this a "horrible day 1.

Then you say Kruger has no potential. That is your opinion and I will trust Ozzie's opinion over yours.

Saying Oher is a luxury pick then saying Maualuga would of been better is crazy because Rey is just as much as a luxury pick as Oher.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Luxury picks usually = better value, and Oher was > than anybody else left on the board. Rey fell for a reason, we just don't know what it was.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 09:28 AM
First you said horrible day 1. No one said you didn't like Oher we are just saying that taking Oher doesn't make this a "horrible day 1.

Then you say Kruger has no potential. That is your opinion and I will trust Ozzie's opinion over yours.

Saying Oher is a luxury pick then saying Maualuga would of been better is crazy because Rey is just as much as a luxury pick as Oher.

To me its horrible to waste 2 picks in one day which is what we did. There was absolutely no need to trade up to get Oher, he is easily there at 26. Maualuga is an immediate starter and an impact player who immediately becomes the face of your defense when Ray retires, not to mention there were OTs in rd 2 left that are on Oher's level, not any LBs left on Maualuga's level.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
there is no OTs on Oher level, if this draft wasn't so stocked at T Oher is a top 10 pick. A team like PITT,DET,NY just to name a few could have moved up from the last 1st early 2nd and got him before us at 26.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 10:01 AM
To me its horrible to waste 2 picks in one day which is what we did. There was absolutely no need to trade up to get Oher, he is easily there at 26. Maualuga is an immediate starter and an impact player who immediately becomes the face of your defense when Ray retires, not to mention there were OTs in rd 2 left that are on Oher's level, not any LBs left on Maualuga's level.

Easily there? ATL needs a RT. Multiple teams could have traded up to take him as well.

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Miami was going to select Oher if we didn't... He and Jake Long started making Bill Parcells drool... so we took the best player available late in the round who is going to complain about that?? We just pushed our OLine to be the best.. why is that a bad thing?

Maualuga would never be the face of the defense when we have guys like Suggs and Reed to step into that role when Ray retires in 3-4 years... plus you think Maualuga is that special of a prospect that someone 2-3 years from now won't be available? Come on.. just in the last 5 drafts Jerod Mayo, Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, AJ Hawk, Ernie Sims, Shawne Merriman, David Pollack, DeMarcus Ware, Jonathan Vilma just to name a few have come out via the draft... your saying that Rey Maualuga is head and shoulders above all those guys??

NOT to mention... Brandon Spikes, Sean Lee and Rolondo McClain all potential draft picks next year we could possibly take.. I would rather have one of those three then Maualuga..

Now I am not saying I wouldn't have been happy to have him in purple and black after we drafted Michael Oher...sure trade up and get him but not going to BASH Ozzie and the rest of the FO for the moves we have made...

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Webb over Moore. WTF

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
GREAT PICK THERE!! Of course Im being sarcastic. Glad we're getting so many guys that help us become a better team.......NOT AT ALL.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Kiper just compared this guy to Bob Sanders. He said he is extremly tough and a great tackler. He loved the pick for us.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm liking this more and more. Scott has him as a 2/3 round guy, and Kiper loves him.

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Not sure how I feel about the pick.. he is valuable but I am not sure he is the perfect fit for us...

America
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
The Bob Sanders comparison makes me more at ease with that pick. Still, when will we go wide receiver?

mikehop05
04-26-2009, 11:37 AM
if you guys didnt trade up for oher, i think we were moving up into the falcons spot to grab him

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 12:33 PM
exactly, PITT BUF and DET are late 1st early 2nd round teams that need a LT. they could easily have traded up to get Oher

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm starting to LOVE this draft. Excellent.

TACKLE
04-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Reasons I like the pick.

1. Oher can come in and start at RT as a rookie.
2. In the overload sets, they use 3 OT's and he can be one of them.
3. With Gaither and Ngata as FA's next year, if there are any problems with re-signing Gaither than Oher can kick over to the left side.
4. He was great value at #23
5. To pass the Steelers in the AFC North, we have to be able to block Woodley and Harrison.
6. I love Oher.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 01:08 PM
ya I love it.

I also love the Jason Phillips pick we just got/

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow guys. I didn't like the notion of going LB before the draft, but now that we got Phillips I love it. Perfect replacement for Scott, and he's much more instinctive than Brinkley. Epic win.

America
04-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I just hope Phillips torn meniscus isn't too much of a problem. He's a solid player. I'm not a huge fan. Maybe he can develop into a solid TED.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I dont think it will affect him that bad. He is a great pick up with his attitude

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Drew is a solid pick IMO as well. He can learn for a year behind L.J. and Heap, then move into the #2 role next year or possibly #1 depending on what we are running. Great insurance too because all 3 of our TE's have injury concerns.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
I would have preferd Ingram. Scott says he has upside. but can be a recieveing TE or blocker? He got suspended 2 games for walking out of a practice early thats just strange.

America
04-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm not a big fan of this Davon Drew. Maybe he's Dan Wilcox part II. That's what I'm hoping.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I am hoping Brooks Foster next pick

dcarey20
04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I would have preferd Ingram. Scott says he has upside. but can be a recieveing TE or blocker? He got suspended 2 games for walking out of a practice early thats just strange.

Teams are worried about his knee injury. Davon Drew is a guy that's got a good bit of potential. Big, decent athleticism, smart. I think he's a good sleeper pick. It will be interesting to see how the tight end position shakes out though, being that we've got Heap, LJ Smith, Sypniewski, and Drew.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 02:16 PM

He was mad that he was moved from QB to TE. I would be to, but i bet he's happy now lol. I think he will be more of a receiving guy, but he can also block.

ChewyRaven318
04-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Oher and Kruger aren't the guys I would have picked either, I would have been comfortable staying in place and taking Maualuga or Laurinaitis, maybe even trading down a bit to get one of em, but just because they're not the guys you'd pick doesn't mean that the team is gonna be worse off because of it.

Oher solves the RT problem, I'd rather have him starting day 1 than Terry and Big Willie, but he'll prolly end up starting when Anderson (oh so surprisingly) gets injured or if he truly loses that step. Kruger, at least for now, solves the Pryce problem. He's never gonna be a 3-4 OLB(WAY too slow for that) but he COULD become a good 3-4 DE..then again, it's the second round so he might join the list of busts. They'll let him start here, but if our run D gets worse, he might be the biggest reason why.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Oher and Kruger aren't the guys I would have picked either, I would have been comfortable staying in place and taking Maualuga or Laurinaitis, maybe even trading down a bit to get one of em, but just because they're not the guys you'd pick doesn't mean that the team is gonna be worse off because of it.

Oher solves the RT problem, I'd rather have him starting day 1 than Terry and Big Willie, but he'll prolly end up starting when Anderson (oh so surprisingly) gets injured or if he truly loses that step. Kruger, at least for now, solves the Pryce problem. He's never gonna be a 3-4 OLB(WAY too slow for that) but he COULD become a good 3-4 DE..then again, it's the second round so he might join the list of busts. They'll let him start here, but if our run D gets worse, he might be the biggest reason why.

Kruger isn't actually that slow... He's going to bulk up and play LDE anyways. We are moving towards a 4-3 I believe, and when you take that into consideration this is a great pick.

America
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't discount Kruger for OLB. It's not like JJ is fast. Aaron Maybin ran like a 4.87 or something. Robert Ayers is a projected OLB and he's a 4.8 guy. He's got the potential to go OLB or DE. He's got coverage ability. He can drop back. The Utes were good this year. Just go back and watch the Bama game. He was a big part of their defense. He can hang with the top athletes of the SEC.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't discount Kruger for OLB. It's not like JJ is fast. Aaron Maybin ran like a 4.87 or something. Robert Ayers is a projected OLB and he's a 4.8 guy. He's got the potential to go OLB or DE. He's got coverage ability. He can drop back. The Utes were good this year. Just go back and watch the Bama game. He was a big part of their defense. He can hang with the top athletes of the SEC.

Exactly. Unlike many other guys who transition to 3-4 OLB, Kruger actually has dropped back and player coverage. But I still think he's going to be a DE in either scheme.

America
04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Well I guess we're not coming out of this thing with a receiver. I like Cedric Pearman, the only ordained minister in the draft...I don't know where he'll fit with the 3 headed running attack we already have.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
maybe McClain is moved to FB now?

America
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
yeah, I'm sure they don't want him to take so many carries. And Lorenzo Neal hasn't been resigned so they might want McClain to block more.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Apparently the rumors are that McClain will be used more as a traditional FB this year, and with the injury concerns of Rice and McGahee i like the pick. I'm not sure where Parmele fits in now, but it's not a lock that Peerman makes the roster either. I bet all 4 RB's will though.

Overall draft grade: B+

TomB
04-26-2009, 03:46 PM
As opposed to Ozie's picks, I would have made the following selections:

Second Round - Sean Smith - CB
Third Round - Jared Cook - TE
Top of Fifth - Johnny Knox - WR

With WR as our greatest need, I am surprised that the Ravens have not selected a WR yet.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 03:49 PM
I am surprised to, and my only issue with the draft.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Reasons I like the pick.

1. Oher can come in and start at RT as a rookie.
2. In the overload sets, they use 3 OT's and he can be one of them.
3. With Gaither and Ngata as FA's next year, if there are any problems with re-signing Gaither than Oher can kick over to the left side.
4. He was great value at #23
5. To pass the Steelers in the AFC North, we have to be able to block Woodley and Harrison.
6. I love Oher.

NO NO NO! You move heaven and earth to re-sign Jared Gaither! You don't let him get away PERIOD. GAITHER>>>>>>>>>>>>Oher

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 04:04 PM
As opposed to Ozie's picks, I would have made the following selections:

Second Round - Sean Smith - CB
Third Round - Jared Cook - TE
Top of Fifth - Johnny Knox - WR

With WR as our greatest need, I am surprised that the Ravens have not selected a WR yet.

If you think Smith can play CB in our system, you are seriously mistaken. We play mostly off-man where Smith is a press coverage guy only, or a safety.

I can see the argument for Cook, but our FO has said all along that we would be looking for a blocking TE and not a receiving one.

All Knox had shown was that he can run fast at the combine, I wouldn't have taken him that early. Phillips is a great pick that will be Scott's replacement where Gooden will be Ray's.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 04:10 PM
2nd day.....decent.

Don't like the Webb pick.

Would much rather have had Jasper Brinkley then Phillips but I do think Phillips is serviceable if healthy.

Quite enjoy the Davon Drew pick.

Cedric Peerman.....hmmm he's ok but feels like the next Allen Patrick to me and I see him not making an impact on this team.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Sucks to not have a true #1 WR again!

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I think Webb is a better version of Leonhard.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
and about 20-30 pounds lighter. IDK exactly how Webb will fit in with us. But I think he can be good when he find his spot

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I think the comparison to Bob Sanders is LUDACRIS!!! Webb weighs 170 lbs at 5'9 where Bob Sanders weighs 210 at 5'9 and hits like a battering ram. Webb does not hit like a battering ram at all!!

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
and about 20-30 pounds lighter. IDK exactly how Webb will fit in with us. But I think he can be good when he find his spot

http://www.nfl.com/players/jimleonhard/profile?id=LEO708542

More like 5-7 lbs. lol. Jim isn't all that big, yet he plays hard. Just like Webb.

A Perfect Score
04-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I am up and down on this draft...I really love the Oher pick, and despite what you all say, I think he will play LT and Gaither will play RT...sure, Gaither did alright there, but Oher is a natural LT with much more experience at the position then Gaither, and IMO Gaither was always better suited to the right side...

Kruger, I dont know, I was watching his tape, and his frame doesnt really look like it can support alot more weight...Who knows, I trust Ozzie, but a guy like Jarron Gilbert seems like better value to me...

There were alot of CBs I liked better then Webb, especially Barnes...Again, just FO preference I suppose...

Jason Phillips is ******* awesome...dude is a ******* warrior and I think the toughest player in this draft, he should be great for us...

The pick I like least is Davon Drew. Not because I dislike him, but because James Casey was still on the board. James Casey is going to be a ******* stud in this league, and I was itching for us to pick him. Really, the kid has it all. I really wish we hadnt passed on him for Drew.

Peerman is great value, but our backfield is crowded enough as it is.

ChewyRaven318
04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Sucks to not have a true #1 WR again!

Our hand was kinda forced on that one, though. The 3 that would have been the most promising as true #1's were gone relatively quickly. I'm sure Ozzie knew this and didn't want to take a risk on someone with a shakier skill set. Boldin is prolly gonna be a Card next year, despite what Rosenhaus says.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I am up and down on this draft...I really love the Oher pick, and despite what you all say, I think he will play LT and Gaither will play RT...sure, Gaither did alright there, but Oher is a natural LT with much more experience at the position then Gaither, and IMO Gaither was always better suited to the right side...

Kruger, I dont know, I was watching his tape, and his frame doesnt really look like it can support alot more weight...Who knows, I trust Ozzie, but a guy like Jarron Gilbert seems like better value to me...

There were alot of CBs I liked better then Webb, especially Barnes...Again, just FO preference I suppose...

Jason Phillips is ******* awesome...dude is a ******* warrior and I think the toughest player in this draft, he should be great for us...

The pick I like least is Davon Drew. Not because I dislike him, but because James Casey was still on the board. James Casey is going to be a ******* stud in this league, and I was itching for us to pick him. Really, the kid has it all. I really wish we hadnt passed on him for Drew.

Peerman is great value, but our backfield is crowded enough as it is.

Eh, our FO said the whole time that if we were going TE it would be a blocking one and Casey isn't even close to being a blocker.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Our hand was kinda forced on that one, though. The 3 that would have been the most promising as true #1's were gone relatively quickly. I'm sure Ozzie knew this and didn't want to take a risk on someone with a shakier skill set. Boldin is prolly gonna be a Card next year, despite what Rosenhaus says.

Kenny Britt was still on the board and would have still been on the board at 26. Im alot higher on Kenny Britt then I am Crabtree or Maclin to become a true #1. I would have preferred Kenny Britt in rd 1, but I like Oher so Im not pissed about the guy, just about how we acquired the guy.

As for Oher to start at LT I say HELL NO! Jared Gaither was a fringe Pro Bowler last year, and Gaither did not respond well to a move to RT at UMD. Oher can be an absolutely amazing RT, and I think is better suited to play RT then LT. He has the mean streak and will punish guys over on the right side.

A Perfect Score
04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Kenny Britt was still on the board and would have still been on the board at 26. Im alot higher on Kenny Britt then I am Crabtree or Maclin to become a true #1. I would have preferred Kenny Britt in rd 1, but I like Oher so Im not pissed about the guy, just about how we acquired the guy.

As for Oher to start at LT I say HELL NO! Jared Gaither was a fringe Pro Bowler last year, and Gaither did not respond well to a move to RT at UMD. Oher can be an absolutely amazing RT, and I think is better suited to play RT then LT. He has the mean streak and will punish guys over on the right side.

Oher is absolutely not better suited to play RT. The kid has been playing LT his entire life, and is one of the most talented kids Ive ever seen play the position. He suffered from overanalysis around the draft this year, and Ive no doubt in my mind he is better suited for LT then Gaither, who I have always felt was a better RT anyways. In our division, you need a good pass blocker on both sides, but I absolutely think Oher will play LT. Hes just too damn good there not to. The kid went his entire junior and senior seasons without allowing a single sack. Against some of the best pass rushers in college football. The kid belongs at LT.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree with ERU on this one. Gaither didn't do well at RT when he played there at Maryland, and some guys just can't make the transition to the spot well (see Adam Terry). Hopefully Oher will be able to, but I think he will because his work ethic seems off the charts from what I've seen recently.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Oher in his first interview noted that the Ravens have a great LT in Gaither and said he's willing to compete for RT if it gets him on the field. I just love the kid and know he's a true gamer. He's definitely an upgrade to Willie Anderson or Terry on the right side. I hated the Paul Kruger pick but whatever. We should have taken Jarron Gilbert with that pick and take Lawrence Sidbury instead of Webb.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
ya I love him already. I would have prefered Gilbert but I think Kruger can be alright.,

SeanTaylorRIP
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Eventually we need to get a #1 WR. Well at least if we suck it up this year we could get Benn or Dez Bryant next year. We this year will still be relying on the 50 year old Derrick Mason to be our only consistent receiving threat. Clayton will be off and on as usual and then we have to pray that the overrated by Ravens fans Demetrius Williams becomes a great player. Marcus Smith is nothing but a blocker. I really think we should have tried to trade up into the mid second to at least land a Massaquoi or Robiskie, or at least take a chance on a guy like Louis Murphy in the 3rd round.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
ya I was kind of hoping we took a shot at Murphy. I agree we overrated the sh!t out of Dwill, we basically all thought he would be a pro bowler. Marcus Smith sucks, he had 0 catches as a #3. We need a miracle for him to be semi productive.

Also in Ozzie interview he sounded content with our WR and made it sound like Dwill will come back and be some missing piece to the puzzle

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm so glad we didn't get Murphy. He has all the makings of a bust, and he apparently has character issues.

I think we are all forgetting the fact that we can split out Heap again this year, or L.J. Smith. With Quinn coming back and the Addition of Drew we can now put our more athletic TE's in the slot or out wide, thus improving our receiving core. Heap has done his best when not working on the line, and I imagine that Smith has too.

Ravens1991
04-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Heap was dropping every other pass last year. I think he is done. My uncle says he heard we might cut him. IDK about that but he will never be that top 5 TE he was a couple years ago

Don Vito
04-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Oher is a stud, I wish he had the opporitunity to play on the left side. He may get the chance, you never know.

America
04-26-2009, 10:10 PM
We picked up Graham Gano. And Will Johnson (Michigan). He put up 47 reps. http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/Will-Johnson.php

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Oher will be a beast and Kruger will also turn out to be a stud... he has been compared to Jared Allen by some analysts. Not sure about anyone else but I wouldn't be mad if we got another bookend tackle for the next 10 years and a stud pro bowl DE out of this draft?!

As for taking a WR.. eh past the TOP 3 everyone else has too many holes in their respective game. I would rather see us find a vet or trade for someone else...

lordquas
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Not a bad draft at all. Receiver isn't a huge need at the moment, and maybe the staff knows something we don't about some player...anyways
I love Michael Oher.
Oher is a great player and will help our O-line tremendously.
He'll start at some point this year, and will start for years to come.
B+ Pick
Kruger, well he's an alright pick...
He's intense and apparently can get up to 280-285. He'll compete to overtake Pryce once that time comes, but its not a horrible pick. A good defensive player, at a position we'll need in a few years isn't a bad thing.
B-
Lardarius Webb, AKA the next Bob Sanders?? I don't know enough about him to say that but thats what I've heard. He's a playmaker who played safety in the past so it'll be interesting to see how he develops.
B-
Jason Phillips is that linebacker that we needed to get. He's a psycho on the field and was also the leader of TCUs defense. Hes coachable and versatile so he'll fit right in on Ravens Defense.
B
Davon Drew, Heres where I would've gone receiver for sure. We go tightend and get a guy who could possibly develop but will have to earn his way on the field.
C
Cedric Peerman is a great pickup, versatile, NFL ready back that can compete with Jalen Parlame for some carries. We'll see..
C+

I don't necasarily disagree with any of the picks we made, Overall I'd say it was an average draft. B- Not bad.

I do however, think we need to pick up some guys in free agency. Guys who could earn a spot on the team..

RB PJ Hill/ Kory Sheets.
WR Greg Carr.
OG Cecil Newton.
C Edwin Williams.
DE Mitch King/ Zach Potter.
ILB Frantz Joseph.
OLB Phillip Hunt.

With those additions, this draft would look a whole lot better.

TACKLE
04-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Graham Gano is a great pickup. I no longer have confidence in Stover to kick anything longer than a PAT. With their style of play, having a good kicker is key.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Im lookin at D Will to stay healthy and steal time away from Clayton this year, and hopefully Justin Harper stays healthy and takes time away from Marcus Smith. But WR was and still is our biggest need!

roscoesdad27
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
oher is the only pick i liked....passing on shawn nelson for another undersized, poor tackling corner made me sick.

ccB
04-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I think we had a solid yet unspectacular draft. Ozzie stuck true to BPA over drafting for need.

I was a bit dissapointed we didn't take Maualuga or Britt but you can't argue the value of Oher where we selected him. I think either Maualuga or Britt could of been an instant impact at a "sexier" position. But the thought of the long term tackle duo of Gaither and Oher is scary. They could be the twin towers that keep Joe Cool upright in the pocket. I was bummed, Rey Rey was #1 on my board and was still available but, I think Oher was probably the smarter pick.

Lets take a peak at Scott's pro comparison's for the top rated OT's:

Jason Smith - Chris Samuels
Eugene Monroe - Levi Jones
Michael Oher - Walter Jones
Andre Smith - Shawn Andrews
Eben Britton - Jon Jansen
William Beatty - Tony Ugoh
Phil Loadholt - Marcus McNeill
Jamon Meredith - Maurice Williams

Yes, I'll take Walter Jones over Levi, Samuels, or Andrews anyday. Let's hope Scott's right on this one.

Grade: A

Paul Kruger is going to be a perfect fit into our system. He's that versatile DE who could also stand up and be an OLB for us. Our system is built on versatile defensive players who can switch in and out of different positions. After watching tape on this guy, I realized he was far more explosive than I thought previously. He also seems like a great character guy, I like this pick more and more with each passing day. Someone (JBond I think) compared him to Kyle Vanden Bosch and I think that is a solid comparison.

Grade: B

Ladarius Webb, I LOVE this pick. Again another versatile guy for us who can play CB or S and return punts. For such a little guy he can lay some wood and he's the definition of a ball hawk. I just hope we don't get burned on the small school DB again like we did with David Pittman.

I'll do the rest of the picks after my chemistry class.

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 09:50 AM
oher is the only pick i liked....passing on shawn nelson for another undersized, poor tackling corner made me sick.

He's actually a very good tacker and he's physical. Brings great depth to our return game as well (goodbye Figurs).

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
ya at first I was like WTF taking him over DJ Moore. But I am starting to like the pick as well.

ccB
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
He's actually a very good tacker and he's physical. Brings great depth to our return game as well (goodbye Figurs).

this guys a hater, he gave us his worst draft grade in the draft forum, yes he thinks we did worse than the Raiders. LOLz

ccB
04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I think we had a solid yet unspectacular draft. Ozzie stuck true to BPA over drafting for need.

I was a bit dissapointed we didn't take Maualuga or Britt but you can't argue the value of Oher where we selected him. I think either Maualuga or Britt could of been an instant impact at a "sexier" position. But the thought of the long term tackle duo of Gaither and Oher is scary. They could be the twin towers that keep Joe Cool upright in the pocket. I was bummed, Rey Rey was #1 on my board and was still available but, I think Oher was probably the smarter pick.

Lets take a peak at Scott's pro comparison's for the top rated OT's:

Jason Smith - Chris Samuels
Eugene Monroe - Levi Jones
Michael Oher - Walter Jones
Andre Smith - Shawn Andrews
Eben Britton - Jon Jansen
William Beatty - Tony Ugoh
Phil Loadholt - Marcus McNeill
Jamon Meredith - Maurice Williams

Yes, I'll take Walter Jones over Levi, Samuels, or Andrews anyday. Let's hope Scott's right on this one.

Paul Kruger is going to be a perfect fit into our system. He's that versatile DE who could also stand up and be an OLB for us. Our system is built on versatile defensive players who can switch in and out of different positions. After watching tape on this guy, I realized he was far more explosive than I thought previously. He also seems like a great character guy, I like this pick more and more with each passing day. Someone (JBond I think) compared him to Kyle Vanden Bosch and I think that is a solid comparison.

Ladarius Webb, I LOVE this pick. Again another versatile guy for us who can play CB or S and return punts. For such a little guy he can lay some wood and he's the definition of a ball hawk. I just hope we don't get burned on the small school DB again like we did with David Pittman.

I'll do the rest of the picks after my chemistry class.

Just wanted to get this on the newest page

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
ya that guy doesnt know what he is talking about, this is my theory for why we didnt go WR.

The only true #1 WR in the draft were only available at our round 1 pick, and we took Oher because he was amazing value at 23. Players like him dont come around often in the 23 range.

We have a ton of young WR who are role players(Clayton,Dwill,Smith) but we still need a #1 so why draft another role WR.

and I agree I think Oher is better then Smith, Andre has bust written all over him. Oher is arguably a better prospect then D'brickashaw Ferguson and D'brick went 4th in a crazy good draft

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Heap was dropping every other pass last year. I think he is done. My uncle says he heard we might cut him. IDK about that but he will never be that top 5 TE he was a couple years ago

How can you say he was dropping every other pass? He wasn't even in the top 26 in the AFC alone for dropped passes, and he had less than 5 overall.

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/passesdropped.html

The only basis for those rumors that we are cutting Heap are that we signed L.J. Smith in the offseason. It would be incredibly dumb for our FO to cut Heap just because we have L.J. and possibly a healthy Quinn (although that's never likely). The only way Heap will be off of our team is if he's traded, and at this point there's no way that's happening.

And let's not forget that Heap had 35 total catches last year, but 23 of them were fora first down. For a guy that stayed in to block more than he ever had to before, I would say that's pretty good.

http://www.nfl.com/players/toddheap/careerstats?id=HEA302949

Heap is not done.

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
obviously that is a exageration, Heap has been dropping more passes then usual. Also If you are getting thrown at 15 times a game you will have more drops then a guy who is thrown at 6 times a game, I think it depends more on drop % of passes thrown at you then just total drops

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Anita and Scott just reported our original plan was to trade down to get Kruger as our 1st overall selection. They must really have faith in our WR.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
whoa, trade back into the 2nd and get Kruger?? Thank god Oher fell so that didn't happen. I'll post my thoughts on the draft soon. I'll just say this real quick, only pick I'm ticked off about is Davon Drew, over James Casey.

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
ya if we traded back for Kruger I think there would be anarchy on here lol.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm guessing Webb will be tried out at CB??? Personally I've always thought that he was best fit for a FS, but he definitely can't play safety for the Ravens as he and Ed Reed would be wayy too small. I'm just praying that Dawan Landry returns to his form prior to injury because he was a great in box safety. As for Davon Drew he reminds me of Alge Crumpler. Personally I'm not the biggest Casey fan. I think he's a glorified slot receiver. He won't bring you anything in the run game as far as blocking goes. He's definitely a mismatch for linebackers but if you put him in the slot he's just average. I'm angry we passed on Cornelius Ingram who has the tools to be a great all around tight end.

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I think Zbi can replace Landry fine if Landry doesnt play well this year. and I agree Webb will be a CB, probably start off as a #5(see ya Frank Walker) and they get more playing time throughout the years.

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm guessing Webb will be tried out at CB??? Personally I've always thought that he was best fit for a FS, but he definitely can't play safety for the Ravens as he and Ed Reed would be wayy too small. I'm just praying that Dawan Landry returns to his form prior to injury because he was a great in box safety. As for Davon Drew he reminds me of Alge Crumpler. Personally I'm not the biggest Casey fan. I think he's a glorified slot receiver. He won't bring you anything in the run game as far as blocking goes. He's definitely a mismatch for linebackers but if you put him in the slot he's just average. I'm angry we passed on Cornelius Ingram who has the tools to be a great all around tight end.

I agree with everything you just said except about Ingram. He doesn't bring much more blocking than Casey does, and he's coming off a major injur. We don't need another TE like that.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Round 1 - Michael Oher - Huge steal here. Everyone is talking about how we could have stayed at #26, well the Cardnails, Steelers, and many other teams could have traded up before us to take him, so I perfectly understand Ozzie trading up to garuntee we get him. Okay so, I see him sitting behind Willie for a short time, hell, he might even play in week 1 knowing Anderson. I thinkn this gives the Ravnes a GREAT o-line in atleast 2`years. Oher and Gaither will be studs, Yanda and Grubbs are both 2 of the better young guards in the league, and with Birk in the middle, we get that much needed, veteran presence. GREAT PICK, HUGE STEAL,

Round 2 - Paul Kruger - This guy will be insane. I think if he stayed at college, he'd be a late first rounder next year. Only reason he declared early was his age.(23) I think from day 1, he's gonna be part of our rotation at pass rusher. (Keeping them fresh is always important) and in time, I think they want him to bulk up and be the DE in our 3-4. Obviously that will take time and lots of coaching, but our coaches are one of the best in the league and I have faith in Kruger, hes a "raven" hard worker, nasty on the field, relentless and great character. He'll be a stud for us, whether its at DE or OLB.
Grade: B+

Round 3 - Lardaruis Webb - At first, I hated this pick, I knew nothing about him and I was pissed we passed Jared Cook. But when I looked into him, he's a guy headed in the right direction. Forget all the character concerns, I totally believe this guy has matured and learned from them. On the field, he plays like a tiny Bob Sanders. He could be our replacement for Jim Leonhard. He flies from sideline to sideline, hits hard, has great hands and ball skills. Only question is, wheres he gonna play? We are packed at Strong Safety with Landry and Zbi and Reed and Nakamura at Free Safety. I see him behind all those guys, and at corner, we have Foxworth and Fabian starting, Rolle at nickel, and I think he can compete for the dimeback with Chris Carr but I doubt he beats him out. I'd love him over the crap **** Frank Walker though as our 5th DB. I'm fine with the pick, he solidifies our defensive backfield, gives us extraordinary depth and a stud in the return game.
Grade: B-

Round 5 - Jason Phillips - I really like this pick. He should be an absolute monster in our special team coverage on punts and kickoffs. And I think he's our replacement for Nick Griesen. He plays like a monster on the field and he should see some action late in games. He's got great leadership and I think he'll challege Ayenbendejo for the lead tackler on special teams. Look for him to be a major contributor in 1-2 years.

Round 5 - Davon Drew - This is one of those "Ozzie Newsome and Co." picks that I will never understand. James Casey from Rice was still availible and I was almsot sure he'd take him. He'd be so versitile in our offense and Cameron would use him well. Davon Drew, I just don't see what he has that puts him over Casey. He's got good hands and ball skills, but I don't see him making any impact behind Sypnewski, Heap, and L.J.
Grade: D

Round 6 - Cedric Peerman - Didn't see the sense in this pick either. Maybe cause I'm high on Parmale, but Peerman gives the Ravens a very speedy back who could compete for the #3 spot, if McClain moves back to Fullback. He could also be a kick returner for us (he was the fastest RB in the combine).
Grade: C-

Negatives - We didn't get Flacco any weapons, but with the addition of Oher, it gives him protection. I'd take protection >> weapons anyday. We did take a TE, but he's not a threat in the passing game either, I really don't see what he does. Thats basically it. Flacco needs weapons.
Overall Draft grade: B+
Heres how I see our roster for this coming season -

QB - Joe Flacco - Troy Smith - That other guy we have (forgot)
RB - Willis McGahee - Ray Rice - Cedric Peerman/Jalen Parmele
FB - Le'Ron McClain
WR - Derrick Mason
WR2 - Demetrius Williams/ Clayton
Slot - Mark Clayton/D will
TE- Todd Heap - L.J. Smith - Quinn Sypnewski
LT - Jared Gaither - Michael Oher - Adam Terry
LG - Ben Grubbs - Chris Chester
C - Matt Birk - Chester - Yanda
RG - Marshall Yanda - Chester
RT - Willie Anderson/Michael Oher

Defense

DE - Trevor Pryce - Brandon McKinney?
NT - Kelly Gregg - Justin Bannan
DE - Haloti Ngata - Dwan Edwards
OLB - Terrell Suggs - Antwan Barnes - Paul Kruger
ILB - Ray Lewis - Prescott Burgess - Jason Phillips
ILB - Tarvares Gooden - Brendon Ayanbendejo - Jason Phillips/ Jameel McClain
OLB - Jarret Johnson - Paul Kruger - Antawn Barnes
CB1 - Domonique Foxworth
CB2 - Fabian Washington
Nickelback - Samari Rolle
Dimeback - Chris Carr
CB 5 - LarDarius Webb
FS - Ed Reed - Haruki Nakamura
SS - Dawan Landry - Tom Zbikowski

KR/PR - Chris Carr - Lardaruis Webb - Peerman/Figurs(if he makes the team)
Kicker - Graham Gano
Punter - Sam Koch

Wow, thats long. :D Thoughts??

EdReedUnstoppable
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
No love for Steven Hauschka on here? I mean I like Gano but I also really like Hauschka and he's more proven then Gano!

BTW Im just happy we didnt take any Florida players, can't stand players from UF.

America
04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Gano gets a lot of hype for his punting IMO. I think it was their last game, he had like 3 punts inside the 5. Just insanely good punts. It doesn't hurt he hit 96% FG last year either. I think we could keep Hauschka as a kickoff specialist / long distance guy, but I think they might be looking for a kicker who can do everything.

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
you need to add Marcus Smith somewhere at WR. Lets all keep our hopes up and hopefully he develops so he can catch a pass. You are the #3 WR and the #1 WR has 1 functional arm and he still cant catch a pass or be thrown to

America
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
I really hope Smith turns into something. We need some good young talent. There's no one on the team now that can replace Mason.

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Clayton can, but he wont be as good as mason. He is a poor mans mason basically

ccB
04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
I always felt WR was more of a long term need, we could compete this year with the receivers we have. The only problem is in most cases, WR's need a few years to develop, so even though we don't need one right now, come next year and the year after we will be wishing we had someone resembling a promising young WR. I guess we just gotta hope D-Will, Smith, or Harper could break out and become solid contributors to the team but that might be a lot to ask for.

ChewyRaven318
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Keep in mind that Boldin might still be in the plans. I don't think the saga is over yet.

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I really hope Smith turns into something. We need some good young talent. There's no one on the team now that can replace Mason.

I think we've got to give him time. What was his last year in college, his second year as a WR after being a RB? For now he's a good blocker on the outside, but I think he can develop into a good over the middle receiver (if he can learn routes).

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Remember guys, Sypnewski is returning and they just drafted Davon Drew both who they believe are blockers. So that means Heap will have a huge assignment taken off his shoulders so he can be used in the right way, in the passing game. I know I'm in the minority here but I still believe Heap can be our #1 reiever if all he is asked to do is run routes and get open.

SKim172
04-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I really hope their confidence in the current receivers is rewarded. I would've expected even a flyer pick on a receiver late. Cedric Peerman mystifies me. As well as Davon Drew. How many TE's do they expect to run out on the field? Why not take a receiver at one of those, see if you get lucky?

And Drew is definitely not a blocking TE. He played at ECU - a die-hard spread team. He spent a lot of time in the slot. Receiving type TE. Which is why I'm confused by the pick.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Exactly, that's why I'll never understand why we took Drew over a WR especially since we are stacked at TE and he isn't even going to make any immediate impact. Peerman, I kinda understand but we could have taken a wild chance at WR instead of Drew or Peerman and just hoped we got lucky.

coordinator0
04-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Drew has a lot more potential to become a blocker because of his size, and he can play the h-back role which we don't have. THere weren't any WR's worth taking that Ozzie valued over the TE, it's as simple as that. They go by the BPA on their board no matter what and that's why we are a good drafting team.

lordquas
04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Keep in mind that Boldin might still be in the plans. I don't think the saga is over yet.

seriously..
if the ravens pull somethin out their assez then maybe we'll still trade for Boldin.

Heap + next years 2nd?

I don't care how we have to do it, I just want Boldin
we need to be aggressive and go after this guy before its too late..
we'll see...

A Perfect Score
04-28-2009, 10:45 AM
seriously..
if the ravens pull somethin out their assez then maybe we'll still trade for Boldin.

Heap + next years 2nd?

I don't care how we have to do it, I just want Boldin
we need to be aggressive and go after this guy before its too late..
we'll see...

It would be Heap and next years first I would think...I dont think the 2nd would get it done at this point, and I think its a long shot that Boldin even gets moved now...too bad, he would be great in a Ravens uni

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Yea I am passed getting Boldin.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Boldin has too many questions to give up anything more than a 2nd. Age, injuries, character. Don't get my wrong; I'd love him here, but I'd rather keep a 2nd rounder.

Ravens1991
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
ya I bet $$$ the boldin saga is over.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2009/04/Kiper_Gives_Ravens_a_Solid_B.aspx

Kiper draft grade. He said Webb was being a volunteer coach during spring practices, I know we would love that in a player. Also he said Phillips was a steal and should be very good for us.

lordquas
04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Oher, and Kruger are the future stars of our Line.
Willie Anderson is almost 40, and Terry stinks, so Oher will be starting at some point this year, and for years to come.
Kruger will play D-Line, Not OutsideLinebacker.
He's going to beef up to 285, and be a maniac. But for now, He'll wait behind Trevor Pryce and compete with Dwan Edwards for time. Look for Kruger to develop in 2-3 years.
Webb will get a great opportunity on the Ravens. He'll fight for Nickel duties, a spot he could very well win. Carr vs. Walker vs. Webb will be interesting to watch... If he improves like he should, he'll be starting very soon.
Phillips will learn a lot from Ray Lewis, and will take over for him when its Rays time to go. He'll be a beast for the Ravens for years to come.
As far as Drew, and Peerman. I don't predict much of a future starting for Baltimore.
Gano could very well be our starting kicker in the season opener.
Will Johnson will be interesting to monitor, Maybe this guy will be a huge steal and beat out Kruger??
Riley will sit the bench, but has the size n skills to be real nice. reaal nicee. He'll be behind a lot of receivers, and it could take up to 5 years for him to maximize his potential.
Dannell Ellerbe was the biggest steal of them all..Some predicted this guy going as soon as the 2nd round!! He's a solid player, but I think Phillips beats him out.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I hope we keep both Phillips and Ellerbe. I wanted Ellerbe so bad I am glad we picked him up. He had a knee injury his senior year and thats what lead to his slip. He is the perfect LB for us, athletic can blitz and lays the lumber

coordinator0
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I hope we keep both Phillips and Ellerbe. I wanted Ellerbe so bad I am glad we picked him up. He had a knee injury his senior year and thats what lead to his slip. He is the perfect LB for us, athletic can blitz and lays the lumber

I think we will. If we do we will have kept the same amount of ILB's as we did last year, with those two filling Greisen's and Scott's roster spots. I'd look for Burgess to challenge both of those guys though, especially Ellerbe.

America
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I think Eron Riley will at least make a practice squad spot. He's got great numbers, and it's not like he was a bust in college. He was very productive.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Oher, and Kruger are the future stars of our Line.
Willie Anderson is almost 40, and Terry stinks, so Oher will be starting at some point this year, and for years to come.
Kruger will play D-Line, Not OutsideLinebacker.
He's going to beef up to 285, and be a maniac. But for now, He'll wait behind Trevor Pryce and compete with Dwan Edwards for time. Look for Kruger to develop in 2-3 years.
Webb will get a great opportunity on the Ravens. He'll fight for Nickel duties, a spot he could very well win. Carr vs. Walker vs. Webb will be interesting to watch... If he improves like he should, he'll be starting very soon.
Phillips will learn a lot from Ray Lewis, and will take over for him when its Rays time to go. He'll be a beast for the Ravens for years to come.
As far as Drew, and Peerman. I don't predict much of a future starting for Baltimore.
Gano could very well be our starting kicker in the season opener.
Will Johnson will be interesting to monitor, Maybe this guy will be a huge steal and beat out Kruger??
Riley will sit the bench, but has the size n skills to be real nice. reaal nicee. He'll be behind a lot of receivers, and it could take up to 5 years for him to maximize his potential.
Dannell Ellerbe was the biggest steal of them all..Some predicted this guy going as soon as the 2nd round!! He's a solid player, but I think Phillips beats him out.

Eww, I think its Webb vs. Rolle vs. Carr, forget Frank Walker, he sucks.
As for Kruger, yeah I think he is a future 5 tech. but I think he'll play OLB for us until he gets up to 280 and Pryce retires. I personally think he's better suited for OLB and his production might drop off a TON of he has to play DE in our 3-4.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Riley was 2nd string All-ACC so he was pretty good even at a school like Duke who isnt known for its football. DHB was All-ACC HM(I am not saying Riley>>>>>>DHB)

I agree I think we will keep him around and try to develop him because of his insane combine #s.

and I agree w/ Foxworth,Washington,Rolle,Webb,Carr the infamous CB crew we sent out against Pitt in the playoffs(Walker,Ogelsby I wont post anymore becuase I will start to cry) are outta here.

ChefMike
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Boldin has too many questions to give up anything more than a 2nd. Age, injuries, character. Don't get my wrong; I'd love him here, but I'd rather keep a 2nd rounder.

Character is not a concern for Boldin. We are over analyzing him.. he is a stud and he has expressed that if he were going to get traded this would be a place he would want to come. Which means, yes we will have to give him a good contract, but we can probably get him slightly less knowing he is going to be the focal point of the passing game and he will get the ball 7-10 times a game!?

This is one of those deals you HAVE to make if your Ozzie, not to shut up the fans but to keep the Steelers in our rearview mirror as we continue to add great pieces to our puzzle..

jkpigskin
04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
i agree that if its a 2nd and a player... im all for it

deep inside of me, i sitll want demetrius to develop into an impact reciever.. i am also intrigued by the guy we picked up from duke.. the 6-3 receiver from duke who runs a sub 4-4

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree, even with all the moves we made in the draft and offseason, we haven't made that one clear cut move to put us ahead of Pittsburgh. Are we capable of beating them? no doubt, but the odds will be in there favor as it was all 3 times last year.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree about Demetrius but lets face it, we all overrated the hell out of him. He can be decent but he won't be a superstar.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I agree, even with all the moves we made in the draft and offseason, we haven't made that one clear cut move to put us ahead of Pittsburgh. Are we capable of beating them? no doubt, but the odds will be in there favor as it was all 3 times last year.

good point, but we had a lot of youth in those games and injuries in the playoff games. I am not making excuses but I think with our players getting experience the games between us will get even more intense. I think us getting beat 3 times will motivate us beyond belief. Ray wants a ring again, Reed wants one because his career may be over soon due to his injury, Oher came out and said he wants to beat Pitt. Flacco was down at the super bowl to get his diet pepsi ROTY so he knows what the super bowl feels like and that will push him. Also I remember seeing McGahee saying he will be at every voluntary work out, he is a talented guy. So what I am saying is we know what defeat to our bitter rival feels like and I think that will push us. It will be a great series just like this year.

lordquas
04-29-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree about Demetrius but lets face it, we all overrated the hell out of him. He can be decent but he won't be a superstar.

i don't know man... he can't be overrated just yet.
this is the time he needs to show all hes got, he's 26 but never seems to stay healthy.
but on the bright side, when he IS healthy he's a pretty filthy receiver.
He played at De LaSalle highschool (won a lot of games, was a top recruit)..
Went to Oregon, got hurt a lot, but still..remained filthy.
Got drafted, and got hurt a lot, now here he is.

I like him a lot. (When healthy) Hes got Ups, great speed, and some sick hands so if he stays healthy he should be a solid #3WR this season.
His problem is his thin physique, which can be brittle at time.
Get Demetrius Williams up to 205-210lbs He'll do work

Still has shiiiiiittttonzzzzzzzzz of potential,.....IMO

GhostDeini
05-01-2009, 02:40 AM
I have to give Ozzie Newsome all the props in the world. Michael Oher will be week 1 starter at left tackle and future Pro Bowler in 3 years.

coordinator0
05-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I have to give Ozzie Newsome all the props in the world. Michael Oher will be week 1 starter at left tackle and future Pro Bowler in 3 years.

No he won't lol, he'll be on the right side. Gaither has done NOTHING to show that he should move to the right side, and he was actually great for us last year. Plus it would probably not sit well w/ Gaither while we're trying to sign him to an extension if we move him to the RT where I believe they make less $.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
No he won't lol, he'll be on the right side. Gaither has done NOTHING to show that he should move to the right side, and he was actually great for us last year. Plus it would probably not sit well w/ Gaither while we're trying to sign him to an extension if we move him to the RT where I believe they make less $.

Why do you keep responding to him saying that Gaither will be moved to RT?

EdReedUnstoppable
05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Character is not a concern for Boldin. We are over analyzing him.. he is a stud and he has expressed that if he were going to get traded this would be a place he would want to come. Which means, yes we will have to give him a good contract, but we can probably get him slightly less knowing he is going to be the focal point of the passing game and he will get the ball 7-10 times a game!?

This is one of those deals you HAVE to make if your Ozzie, not to shut up the fans but to keep the Steelers in our rearview mirror as we continue to add great pieces to our puzzle..

HAHA! In our rearview mirror?? We better hope we stay within sight of theirs, last I checked they've won 2 superbowls since the last time we did, including last years so they aren't anywhere close to our rearview but they are right outside our windshield in front of us as usual.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
HAHA! In our rearview mirror?? We better hope we stay within sight of theirs, last I checked they've won 2 superbowls since the last time we did, including last years so they aren't anywhere close to our rearview but they are right outside our windshield in front of us as usual.

**** YOU ************!!!!! You speak the truth though. We need to find a way to beat them. No way I can take losing to them 3 more times.

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
at least we did improve our secondary, no more of our 3rd string SS playing nickel back like Nakamura did in the playoffs. Flacco is becoming more experienced with his recieving options, and the whole offense is becoming more experienced with a year under Cameron system. We will have 3 capable RBs next year, hopefully 2 of them dont get injured like the playoffs. I think it is definetly possible for us to take them, and it should be 2-3 wars this year when we face them.

coordinator0
05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Why do you keep responding to him saying that Gaither will be moved to RT?

Oher on the right side I mean lol.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2009, 03:24 PM
As much as I love Pettigrew I think the Lions were nuts to pass on Oher. I mean TE is one of their needs but they have needs at every position and honestly I can't think of why you would pass on a LT to protect the blindside of your franchise #1 overall QB Stafford and go with a TE who while he will be a nice security blanket great TE's were available in the 4th round.

Nalej
05-01-2009, 03:28 PM
As much as I love Pettigrew I think the Lions were nuts to pass on Oher. I mean TE is one of their needs but they have needs at every position and honestly I can't think of why you would pass on a LT to protect the blindside of your franchise #1 overall QB Stafford and go with a TE who while he will be a nice security blanket great TE's were available in the 4th round.

I agree. I thought they'd copy Atlanta's formula for success.
Then again- the Lions may not be looking for that *shrug*

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM

I agree, that is the same reason why I would want Maluga over Pettigrew if they were both at our pick

coordinator0
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM

That's all hindsight though. Nobody knew that the TE's were going to drop like that, so they just went with the best one available (and possibly the #1 player on their board). Mayhew has been doing a pretty good job so far and I think that team is going in the right direction. Backus their LT wasn't really all that bad last year, but the LG (Mulitalo) was god awful.

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Seems like you always tend to hate what the Ravens do, no matter what it is...I can't believe your upset that you got a potential top 10 tackle and easily the best player available at #23 which goes a long way towards protecting your franchise QB.

Most teams would be lucky to draft as good as Baltimore does consistently, I can't really see why your upset, unless you think you would do a better job then Ozzie somehow.

I don't think taking Oher could be looked at as anything but a great move, protecting Flacco isn't a "luxury" to me, you give him time and you always have a chance to win.

coordinator0
05-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Some people would like to us to draft need over value... But I guess that's why most people aren't GM's lol. Especially ones that draft like Ozzie. I think we do so well because we actually have our own scouting people, but most teams use some scouting service (like 30/32 teams). I think the other team that doesn't use it is NE, but I could be wrong on that. Could that just be a coincidence? I think not.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Seems like you always tend to hate what the Ravens do, no matter what it is...I can't believe your upset that you got a potential top 10 tackle and easily the best player available at #23 which goes a long way towards protecting your franchise QB.

Most teams would be lucky to draft as good as Baltimore does consistently, I can't really see why your upset, unless you think you would do a better job then Ozzie somehow.

I don't think taking Oher could be looked at as anything but a great move, protecting Flacco isn't a "luxury" to me, you give him time and you always have a chance to win.

Man you don't read and comprehend well do you?

I didnt bash the Oher pick, I hated trading up for him because he would have easily been there at 26. BUT I LIKE OHER FOR CHRIST SAKE PEOPLE!

I hate and still do hate the Kruger pick. Gilbert is gonna be a much better player and a much more dominant force than Kruger will ever be.

ChefMike
05-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Man you don't read and comprehend well do you?

I didnt bash the Oher pick, I hated trading up for him because he would have easily been there at 26. BUT I LIKE OHER FOR CHRIST SAKE PEOPLE!

I hate and still do hate the Kruger pick. Gilbert is gonna be a much better player and a much more dominant force than Kruger will ever be.

Oher would have not made it past Miami... they would have taken him at #24 that is why we jumped up and took him..

Rayray52
05-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Wow ERU.....we gave up a 5th round draft pick to move up and pickup an absolute steal in Oher Denver gave up a first rounder next year to pick up Alphonso and Carolina did the same to pick up Everette i think we paid a pretty reasonable price especially considering how deep our team is alot of these picks probably will see limited playing time this year....take it easy.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Wow ERU.....we gave up a 5th round draft pick to move up and pickup an absolute steal in Oher Denver gave up a first rounder next year to pick up Alphonso and Carolina did the same to pick up Everette i think we paid a pretty reasonable price especially considering how deep our team is alot of these picks probably will see limited playing time this year....take it easy.

I didn't like the deal, but I can live with it, the reason I made this thread was the Kruger pick. BTW I don't care what Denver did, and Carolina did, because they made absolutely terrible decisions that should make it ok for us to make questionable decisions?

I'll say it again maybe this will help....

I DON'T HATE THE OHER PICK, I DON'T LIKE THE TRADE! THIS THREAD IS MORE AIMED AT THE KRUGER PICK! JESUS CHRIST!

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-03-2009, 08:11 AM
I didn't like the deal, but I can live with it, the reason I made this thread was the Kruger pick. BTW I don't care what Denver did, and Carolina did, because they made absolutely terrible decisions that should make it ok for us to make questionable decisions?

I'll say it again maybe this will help....

I DON'T HATE THE OHER PICK, I DON'T LIKE THE TRADE! THIS THREAD IS MORE AIMED AT THE KRUGER PICK! JESUS CHRIST!

well, if we didn't trade up for Oher, Pittsburgh or some other team would have. It's called being aggressive, and going out and getting the players you want. And whats wrong with Paul Kruger?

Ravens1991
05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
PITT,BUF,DET are 3 teams in the late 1st early 2nd that desperately could use a T. We gave up a 5th to make sure we have 2 book end tackles for the next 10 years. BIG FREAKING WHOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 5TH ROUND PICK!!!!!!!!!!!

ccB
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
The only issue I have with this is Oher would NOT have been at our pick. So we liked/valued him enough to make an aggressive move in moving up to make certain we got him. We paid a 5th rounder, but at the end of the day we ended up with the same amount of picks we had to start the draft off so giving up that 5th was a wash.

I can't say I was thrilled with the Kruger pick at first either but after watching some game tape and reading a lot of scouting reports I actually really like it. I made no secret that I really liked Jarron Gilbert coming into the draft, and think he would of been a great fit in our current system but I think Kruger is a little more versatile than Gilbert, and I am a sucker for versatility.

coordinator0
05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
The only issue I have with this is Oher would NOT have been at our pick. So we liked/valued him enough to make an aggressive move in moving up to make certain we got him. We paid a 5th rounder, but at the end of the day we ended up with the same amount of picks we had to start the draft off so giving up that 5th was a wash.

I can't say I was thrilled with the Kruger pick at first either but after watching some game tape and reading a lot of scouting reports I actually really like it. I made no secret that I really liked Jarron Gilbert coming into the draft, and think he would of been a great fit in our current system but I think Kruger is a little more versatile than Gilbert, and I am a sucker for versatility.

That was exactly my thinking too.

Ravens1991
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree with you all also. I wanted Gilbert, but from what I have heard and how much our FO loved Kruger I am excited about the pick

ChefMike
05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Gilbert is just a physical freak.. come seriously her reminds me of Alonzo Spellman.. he was a freak of nature physically coming out as well and look at what happened to him??

Kruger will be solid for us and if we are lucky he will be another Jared Allen which is who he's being compared to..

Ravens1991
05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I have heard McCray comparisons for him. IDK if he will be that good but w/ his attitude I think he will have a long above average NFL career. Then again he could be another Dan Cody.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I got a question about Kruger, since we are planning to move him to DE once he bulks up, won't he produce alot less? I mean, he's been a 3-4O LB his whole career right? Isn't the 5 tech a huge difference?

Ravens1991
05-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I guess we feel he can play 5 tech thats why we took him. I guess we think w/ his heart and determination he will be able to do well where ever we put him.

coordinator0
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I got a question about Kruger, since we are planning to move him to DE once he bulks up, won't he produce alot less? I mean, he's been a 3-4O LB his whole career right? Isn't the 5 tech a huge difference?

No, he was a QB for his first year and a 4-3 DE the last 1.5 years he played.

jkpigskin
05-03-2009, 07:48 PM

im pretty sure Kruger was a DE in college, so he would be going the opposite way of how you put it

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I guess we feel he can play 5 tech thats why we took him. I guess we think w/ his heart and determination he will be able to do well where ever we put him.

Work ethic and intensity will take him far but I truly hope that if he does play the 5 tech that he does bulk up considerably. He could be extremely active and penetrate but no matter how hard he's working if he's getting blasted against the run I don't want him to be the edge man when we are in a 3-4. We do find a way to mix things up and have it work as Kelly Gregg isn't your prototypical NT.

Ravens1991
05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
yes he has to gain 15-20 pounds to be effective as a 3-4 DE

ccB
05-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Since we run a hybrid defense I don't see why we don't just use him as a OLB in 3-4 sets and a DE in 4-3 sets, IMO that would be the best way to maximize his potential.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Since we run a hybrid defense I don't see why we don't just use him as a OLB in 3-4 sets and a DE in 4-3 sets, IMO that would be the best way to maximize his potential.

Yeah, thats what I've been thinking from the day we drafted him, but apparently we wanna use him as a 5 tech, and I think that isn't the best thing to do with him. I'd rather them put him (like you said) at the OLB in the 3-4 and a DE in the 4-3. Only thing is we have enough 3-4 olb's(Barnes,Johnson, Suggs and more I can't think of) and we need players to play the 5 technique, so maybe thats why they want him there.

Ravens1991
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree I think Kruger would be able to be a nice 5 tech, but a monster 4-3 LE