PDA

View Full Version : Worst Pick in the First Round

yodabear
04-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Alright its really not a question for my opinion, but there was a best pick in the first round thread, I thought maybe we should have the worst. And my vote would go to Haywerd-Bey of the Raiders. He may become a solid pro (prolly not though), but defntly not a guy to pick over Crabtree IMO. Discuss dynamically!

SINCE SO MANY OF THE EARLY RESPONDERS SAID D-H-B. HE IS NO LONGER AN OPTION, WORST PICK BESIDES D-H-B.

akvikefan89
04-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Troy Willia.... I mean Darrius Heyward-Bey.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2009, 12:06 AM
How about giving up a first round pick for Alphonso Smith? That was the single worst move, IMO.

As for picks. I can live with the Raiders taking DHB. They needed a receiver and DHB will definitely stretch the defense. If they viewed him as a better prospect than Maclin, I can't blame them.

I'd probably say it was Clay Matthews, just because I am not very bullish on him and they gave up quite a bit. Still, with Raji it wasn't a bad day, just more than I would have given up.

Menardo75
04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I am pretty sure we can all come to an agreement on DHB.

the decider13
04-26-2009, 12:09 AM
How about giving up a first round pick for Alphonso Smith? That was the single worst move, IMO.

As for picks. I can live with the Raiders taking DHB. They needed a receiver and DHB will definitely stretch the defense. If they viewed him as a better prospect than Maclin, I can't blame them.

I'd probably say it was Clay Matthews, just because I am not very bullish on him and they gave up quite a bit. Still, with Raji it wasn't a bad day, just more than I would have given up.

meh...smith might be the worst trade, but he is a good player. I would rather not have given up a first rounder next year, but it's like we had 3 1st rounders this year.

still not super high on the move

gotta give worst move to the raiders, not for picking DHB, but passing on Crabs for DHB.

Crickett
04-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Troy Willia.... I mean Darrius Heyward-Bey.

You know, I never really thought they were the same, but if you notice......... both drafted seventh overall. Coincidence?

Notredameleo
04-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Pettigrew!!!

akvikefan89
04-26-2009, 12:11 AM
You know, I never really thought they were the same, but if you notice......... both drafted seventh overall. Coincidence?

And that 7th pick the Vikings got from the Raiders... hmm...

Hurricanes25
DHB and it should be unanimous.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
meh...smith might be the worst trade, but he is a good player. I would rather not have given up a first rounder next year, but it's like we had 3 1st rounders this year.

still not super high on the move

gotta give worst move to the raiders, not for picking DHB, but passing on Crabs for DHB.

Denver gave up their 2010 1st round pick, correct? Not Chicago's, right? That makes it worse.

The Broncos are not making the playoffs and could be really bad with Orton at QB and Marshall suspended.

Mr. Hero
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Denver gave up their 2010 1st round pick, correct? Not Chicago's, right? That makes it worse.

The Broncos are not making the playoffs and could be really bad with Orton at QB and Marshall suspended.

Orton's really no worse than Cassel and Marshall's missing what, two games? I don't think they're a playoff team but a 7-9ish record is possible in that abortion of a division.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Orton's really no worse than Cassel and Marshall's missing what, two games? I don't think they're a playoff team but a 7-9ish record is possible in that abortion of a division.

Yes, he is worse than Cassel and will prove it soon enough.

TitanHope
04-26-2009, 12:14 AM
There needs to be a "No DHB" rule.

Maybe go Redskins if they're truly gonna put Orakpo at 4-3 OLB, even if he was of great value.

Chargers reached with Larry English, and Kansas City reached with Ty Jax.

Dunno if Tampa Bay trading up for Freeman was a good idea either.

teneight
04-26-2009, 12:15 AM
I cant wait to see DHB shut everyone up...along with Michael mitchell, that guy is a effing beast at safety.

i wanted him really really bad. i thought we were gonna get him in the 3rd..but ill take him either way, as long as we landed him, i would be happy.

the decider13
04-26-2009, 12:15 AM

Marshall isn't suspended? Goodell would have acted on it by now. It's been like 3 months. Orton is not a bad QB by any means and fits good in the system. The O line is great in some parts (tackle) and aging at others(the middle). Orton, Clady, Ryan Harris, Marshall, Royal, Graham, Hillis and Moreno. That's a pretty good offensive group.

And on defense added guys like Dawkins and Hill in FA. Add in a versatile Ayers and Alphonso smith and they are improved even more. Not good yet, but better than 29th.

Crickett
04-26-2009, 12:16 AM

Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2008 16 15 327 516 63.4 3,693 7.2 21 11 47 219 89.4 73 270 3.7 2 7 4
2008 15 15 272 465 58.5 2,972 6.4 18 12 27 160 79.6 24 49 2.0 3 6 5

Really?

yodabear
04-26-2009, 12:17 AM

I agree, I will now make that rule! Ummmm, I would maybe have to go with Peddigrew, he may be a great TE, but that was a perfect situation I thought for the Lions to get a tackle to protect their new franchise. I woulda gone Oher.

Hurricanes25
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM

With that rule in place, the worst pick was Larry English. Huge reach.

Crickett
04-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm going to say Tyson Jackson third overall.

initial_flo
04-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I agree, I will now make that rule! Ummmm, I would maybe have to go with Peddigrew, he may be a great TE, but that was a perfect situation I thought for the Lions to get a tackle to protect their new franchise. I woulda gone Oher.

I agree but I guess I could talk myself into Pettigrew if you look at him as a second left tackle and a decent weapon (and red zone threat) for Stafford.

Just hope he doesn't turn into Kyle Brady.

Mr. Hero
04-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2008 16 15 327 516 63.4 3,693 7.2 21 11 47 219 89.4 73 270 3.7 2 7 4
2008 15 15 272 465 58.5 2,972 6.4 18 12 27 160 79.6 24 49 2.0 3 6 5

Really?

Randy Moss, Wes Welker and the Patriots Oline/Scheme vs Matt Forte and the genius that is ron turner.

GB12
04-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Tyson Jackson

OregonDucks
04-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Alright its really not a question for my opinion, but there was a best pick in the first round thread, I thought maybe we should have the worst. And my vote would go to Haywerd-Bey of the Raiders. He may become a solid pro (prolly not though), but defntly not a guy to pick over Crabtree IMO. Discuss dynamically!

SINCE SO MANY OF THE EARLY RESPONDERS SAID D-E-B. HE IS NO LONGER AN OPTION, WORST PICK BESIDES D-E-B.

Whose D-E-B?

yodabear
04-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Whose D-E-B?

My bad, too much booze, should be a H.

OregonDucks
04-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Haha its all good thats what I figured. haha no worries man, it was a long day..:)

DeathbyStat
04-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Ziggy Hood to the Steelers

JohnCandy
04-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Is the Heyward-Bey pick even talked about or analyzed this much if Crabtree was not on the board.

If Crabtree had gone 4 or 5 and the Raiders took Heyward-Bey would it be as big an issue?

JT Jag
04-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Tyson Jackson.

Hurricanes25
04-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Is the Heyward-Bey pick even talked about or analyzed this much if Crabtree was not on the board.

If Crabtree had gone 4 or 5 and the Raiders took Heyward-Bey would it be as big an issue?

It would still be a bad pick. DHB is not worty of a top 10 pick. Maclin would be a much better pick.

fischbowl
04-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Aaron ******' Maybin

wogitalia
04-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Percy Harvin...

Hate the pick. Absolutely hate it. Why in gods name would we not take Michael Oher after his free fall... when we have massive needs at both LT and RT, he could fix them both by allowing us to move McKinnie to the right...

Why?

T-RICH49
04-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Tyson Jackson

/thread

BaLLiN
04-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Maybin or Jackson, thats agreeable Maybin doesnt seem like a 4-3 DE though, and Jackson for what he can do is not worth a top 3 pick.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm going to say Pettigrew. I like him a good deal, but you've got to get Oher there.

Splat
04-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Reach this haters...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/Splat420/capte56dd8597c6c4396bf02b5686a64ee2.jpg

:)

wicket
04-26-2009, 08:12 AM
TJax, Curry(if you gonna kick out LeRoy Hill on the same day), English, and Hood.

Addict
04-26-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm going to say Pettigrew. I like him a good deal, but you've got to get Oher there.

Oher was there, but getting the #1 TE who is also a great in-line bocker really doesn't qualify as the WORST pick IMO.

Michigan
04-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Oher was there, but getting the #1 TE who is also a great in-line bocker really doesn't qualify as the WORST pick IMO.

Agreed. Taking Pettigrew upgrades our run and pass blocking more than taking Oher to replace Backus would have.

broadstbullies
04-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Pettigrew will be good for the Young QB but they did need the tackle.

I'll say Broncos taking Moreno.. not because of Moreno but because Denver had more needs and they already have 469 running backs

ATLDirtyBirds
04-26-2009, 08:58 AM

I suppose. I mean I'm a fan of Pettigrew, but that OL is brutal.

Shere Khan
04-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I am pretty sure we can all come to an agreement on DHB.

+

Putting it in size 32 font isn't going to sway my decision in the least bit.

A Perfect Score
04-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I suppose. I mean I'm a fan of Pettigrew, but that OL is brutal.

But didnt you hear, if Pettigrew busts at TE he is just going to put on 30 lbs and play LT...dude is already a nasty blocker as it is.

BuddyCHRIST
04-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Tyson Jackson was a major reach for me, obviously DHB was terrible. Then I'll say the Bronco's general 1st round, I like Moreno but not for where they picked him and they have other needs. And I don't like Ayers anyways but didn't they say they thought he could play at over 280? Does that mean they plan on playing him at DE in the 3-4?

LizardState
04-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Broncos picks, failing to go defense when the great screaming need was there like the 3,000-lb. freaking gorilla in the living room. Will McDaniel last longer this season in Denver than Kiffin at Tennessee? They both are taking the kamikaze approach to HC jobs.

Not crazy about the trade for Alphonso, or Al Davis drafting another track star WR wannabee, or the Steelers passing on other better players for Ziggy Hood. But Rick Leach is right, Mangini is a maniacal trade-happy fool who is doing more harm than good in Cleveland.

And once more the Vikes proved they haven't figured out the dirty piss test policy = automatic suspension by taking Percy Harvin at #22, idiots!!

And I went ballistic b/c Dallas is dicking around in rd. 2 .... again.... Grrrr! arrrrggghh!

Crickett
04-26-2009, 09:30 AM
But didnt you hear, if Pettigrew busts at TE he is just going to put on 30 lbs and play LT...dude is already a nasty blocker as it is.

Anthony Becht never did.

jth1331
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Pettigrew will be good for the Young QB but they did need the tackle.

I'll say Broncos taking Moreno.. not because of Moreno but because Denver had more needs and they already have 469 running backs

They have quantity, yes, but quality isn't exactly there.

Moreno could give them much needed quality. He wasn't a bad pick to say, just unexpected sort of.

Byrd430
04-26-2009, 11:50 AM
They have quantity, yes, but quality isn't exactly there.

Moreno could give them much needed quality. He wasn't a bad pick to say, just unexpected sort of.

It's not like they already had 469 running backs on their roster. They went out and got these guys. If they were targeting a RB (and no doubt they were targeting one because Moreno was a bit high at 12), why in the world would you pay 469 other guys to back him up?

IMO either criticize the Moreno pick, or criticize Denver's offseason signings.

Worst first round pick to me is Aaron Maybin...bad fit with the Bills as a 4-3 OLB. He'll need to bulk up and play with that same speed, and he's still VERY raw. Personally, I hate college players with limited experience.

wogitalia
04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I think Tyson Jackson was a reach but I also think he is an NFL prospect that played out of position in college. Will have a very different role with the Chiefs and I like him in it, not sure a 3-4 DE is a top 3 pick type though regardless.

DHB obviously is a reach but he also has serious potential, has the potential to be the most dangerous receiver and does give them what they need. Crabtree though still looks a safer WR pick.

Moreno is an odd one, I really like him and his style in the Patriots style offense, I don't like him given what was available and how much they need but I will throw him out as my very early ROY pick so in many ways it is a good pick.

Pettigrew is a good pick, Oher would have been better but Pettigrew is a stud and can do it all.

Curry is a great kid and is going to be a good player but he is a horrible pick for Seattle, they had too many needs to cut a capable player and replace him with that pick and with what they will have to pay, it just gets worse. Curry is in my top 3 favourite prospects in the draft, more so as a person than a player, but I don't like the pick. Those Seattle green caps are so sweet in a "I would never wear that but it looks cool" sort of way.

cdub11
04-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Tyson Jackson

keylime_5
04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Chris Wells....Oh wait, I thought you said best pick :)

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Tyson Jackson.

A surefire 1st rounder, but not third overall.

He'll never live up to the expectations that come with being drafted in that slot.
Good money, though.

Kid_Ego
04-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Stafford going to detriot and detriot insisting on leaving him out to dry. Jesus another first round bust because managment doesnt do their job. the only man who could survive with that OL is mike vick. Im tryuing to figure out which I hate worse Stafford or stafford having to play for the toothless lions

ChezPower4
04-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Tyson Jackson at #3

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Objectively it is probably Jackson at #3, but to me Donald Brown to the Colts is a dumb pick. Our running game was bad because nobody could block for Addai, or Rhodes, or anybody. Walter Payton wouldn't have gotten 800 yards behind that line.

Brown looks like a marginally better version of Addai with less blocking ability. Dumb move.

Kid_Ego
04-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Honestly I kind of had them pegged for taking a rb but i thought it would be wells for amore pysical running back or shonn green in rd 2

703SKINS202
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Knowshon Moreno at #12 and Tyson Jackson at #3 a close second.

jkb528
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Worst first round pick to me is Aaron Maybin...bad fit with the Bills as a 4-3 OLB. He'll need to bulk up and play with that same speed, and he's still VERY raw. Personally, I hate college players with limited experience.

I'm pretty sure Maybin's going to play DE in Buffalo. Still, as a Bills fan, I was pretty upset with them passing on Orakpo for Maybin. I don't think it was the worst pick in the 1st round though. Aside from DHB, I'd say probably Larry English, Tyson Jackson, Knowshown Moreno, and Percy Harvin would have had me cringing if I were a fan of those teams.

killxswitch
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Honestly I kind of had them pegged for taking a rb but i thought it would be wells for amore pysical running back or shonn green in rd 2

Wells, Greene, or Jennings would;ve all been better IMO.

neko4
04-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Pettigrew!!!
Agreed. I dont think Pettigrew can protect stafford's blindside.

jth1331
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
It's not like they already had 469 running backs on their roster. They went out and got these guys. If they were targeting a RB (and no doubt they were targeting one because Moreno was a bit high at 12), why in the world would you pay 469 other guys to back him up?

Nice exaggeration there bucko. They sign 3 scrub RB's, and all of a sudden they have 469 RB's. It isn't like they shelled out $8 mil a year for each guy.
Name me one RB that Denver had that would be a starter on another team. Go ahead.
Peyton Hillis would be the only one worth mentioning at this point, and he has high question marks.

RCAChainGang
04-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Objectively it is probably Jackson at #3, but to me Donald Brown to the Colts is a dumb pick. Our running game was bad because nobody could block for Addai, or Rhodes, or anybody. Walter Payton wouldn't have gotten 800 yards behind that line.

Brown looks like a marginally better version of Addai with less blocking ability. Dumb move.

You sure?

I liked the pick. Its obvious we work off a running back committee. Our O-line will be healthy and those previous rookies will learn. Our O-line will be fine. Donald Brown and Addai is gonna be awesome. Donald Brown isn't to replace Addai just to complement him...

ChiFan24
04-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Going down the list, picks that I deem stupid:

4. Aaron Curry - they won't be picking top ten again, unless Denver is worse than I think they will be. Go with Sanchez.

7. Darrius Heyward-Bey - though I don't hate it quite as much as everyone else. Still handled horribly.

11. Aaron Maybin - I just don't like him.

12. Knowshon Moreno - I thought/still think the Marshawn Lynch pick was stupid at the time, and I like Lynch a whole lot more than Moreno. They could have found a productive back in the second.

15. Brian Cushing - Not crazy about the player, and I don't think the position warrants a first round pick. Should have gone with Vontae Davis, IMO.

16. Larry English - Not horrible, but it was a reach for a guy who won't be as good as Everette Brown. I'd imagine they could have traded down to #21.

17. Josh Freeman - Probably going to bust.

21. Alex Mack - The pick itself was only a slight reach, and I like Mack almost as much as I like Eric Wood, but Mangini flunked the draft. He turned the #5 overall into a center and David Veikune.

26. Clay Matthews - For what they gave up, though the pick itself is fine.

I'm giving worst pick to Seattle. They got a little better at SLB and proved a point to Leroy Hill at the cost of a franchise QB.

killxswitch
04-27-2009, 07:56 AM
You sure?

I liked the pick. Its obvious we work off a running back committee. Our O-line will be healthy and those previous rookies will learn. Our O-line will be fine. Donald Brown and Addai is gonna be awesome. Donald Brown isn't to replace Addai just to complement him...

I like the committee approach because Addai isn't an every-down back. He needs another back to run with. I just don't understand why they took Brown with the #1, rather than Beanie Wells, or a similar type of runner later like Shonn Greene or Rashad Jennings.

IMO the OL was the problem more than Addai (Rhodes was healthy but had the same problems as Addai). Sure they should be better next year, but if they are better than a better value could've been had IMO.

Britton in the 1st and Jennings in the 6th makes a lot more sense to me. But we will see what happens.

RCAChainGang
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I like the committee approach because Addai isn't an every-down back. He needs another back to run with. I just don't understand why they took Brown with the #1, rather than Beanie Wells, or a similar type of runner later like Shonn Greene or Rashad Jennings.

IMO the OL was the problem more than Addai (Rhodes was healthy but had the same problems as Addai). Sure they should be better next year, but if they are better than a better value could've been had IMO.

Britton in the 1st and Jennings in the 6th makes a lot more sense to me. But we will see what happens.

Yeah...

In Polian we trust!!!

killxswitch
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah...

In Polian we trust!!!

I trust him more today than I have in a while. I think some of the things the Colts were doing that drove me nuts were more Dungy than Polian.

nepg
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
DHB and it should be unanimous.

He was a "reach", but he'll be better than Crabs...

With Michael Oher staring them in the face, I'm going with the Lions retardedly taking Pettigrew at #20.

killxswitch
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
He was a "reach", but he'll be better than Crabs...

With Michael Oher staring them in the face, I'm going with the Lions retardedly taking Pettigrew at #20.

Any chance DHB had of being a better WR than Crabtree went out the window when he went to the Raiders. Sorry. But I don't think he had any chance anyway. Maybe much later in their careers.

I agree the Lions were stupid not to take Oher. Good luck not getting your new QB killed.

the decider13
04-27-2009, 10:09 AM

ZOMGzzZ DEVER HAZ RUNING BAKZ

Yes, Denver has more than 2 running backs. It's not like they didn't sign a bunch of career backups. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them from last year let go (Torain and Young). When exactly do teams get attacked for having depth at any position. Let me guess...you were disappointed in the Jags grabbing Britton in the 2nd cause they already had two tackles?

ChiefLee
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Josh Freeman seems like a great kid. Lots of physical tools. But never played that well at KSU. Didn't respond well to pressure. Made poor decisions. As a Big 12 fan I'm rooting for him. But I think he's got BUST written all over him.

ChiefLee
04-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Jackson may not have been great value at #3 for Chiefs, but our defense was AWFUL last year. Pioli wants to move to 3-4. Our d-linemen could barely play the 4-3, and are not suited for the 3-4. Chiefs are hoping that he anchors our line the way Richard Seymour anchored the Pat's line for all these years.

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Jackson may not have been great value at #3 for Chiefs, but our defense was AWFUL last year. Pioli wants to move to 3-4. Our d-linemen could barely play the 4-3, and are not suited for the 3-4. Chiefs are hoping that he anchors our line the way Richard Seymour anchored the Pat's line for all these years.

Jackson was a reach, but the Chiefs were in an awful position. They had no need for a QB or LT so any player they took there would have been a reach.