PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft Discussion Thread

BeerBaron
04-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Only 364 more days!

We don't have a first rounder again, but here's hoping Cutler proves to be more than worth it this year!

I think we'll def. be looking for more receiver help, we could still use a true #1 guy but that might be hard to do in the 2nd round.

We got a lot of quick fixes on the o-line this year but I'm sure we'll need to look at some longer term solutions as well.

Once again, DE is a priority need. Theres a chance we lose Wale, Idonije and Mark Anderson next year I believe. So we could use help there.

But we've got a year to think about it and I'm sure a LOT will happen that we couldn't possibly have predicted. (Who would have thunk that we'd have Jay Cutler even a few months ago?)

So enjoy...discuss.....etc.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
we definitely need Safety help unless Payne and the rest show a lot of promise

regoob2
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Big time DE.

Smokey Joe
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't know about next year. Right now, I'm gonna say we pick in the teens again and miss out on the playoffs. I think we'll be better than last year, at least on offense, but we disappoint once again.

I think the lack of a top WR hurts us on offense. And while I think our OLine will be better, I'm worried about a lack of cohesiveness due to basically have 3-4 new starters.

On D, it basically all is riding on the front 4. I think our secondary is decent but needs improvement, and that we have a very good linebacking core with Briggs and Lach. But the holes we have in the secondary and linbacking core will be exposed if we don't have good front 4 play again, just like last year.

I think we'll see a big year out of Tommie, and I think both Harrison and Gilbert will be good players for us next year. However, I'm not sold on Adams, and he's basically our best and only run stuffer on the DL. Even if he does play good, if he gets hurt, that's gonna really hinder our run D and the play of Urlacher. I guess Dvoracek might be the wildcard here, and I really like his motor, but I've seen nothing to get excited about. He can't stay healthy and he sucked ass last year.

As for the outside, Brown should be solid once again. However, I don't think we'll see much of an improvement out of Ogunleye, as I think his best days have been behind him. The only hope I have for Ogunleye is that this is his contract year so he might break out. The wildcard for the DE's is Anderson. If he gets back to his 06 form, our pass rush will be much improved. I'm hoping the reason for his dropoff has been bad DL coaches. Idonije will likely make his contributions on special teams, although I wouldn't rule him out really surprising a lot of people and maybe even taking that LDE spot from Ogunleye. Melton, while I do like him, I think he's just gonna be a developmental player for next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us use the IRedshirt on him like we have for many developmental players in the past.

Right now, I'd say team needs would include (in no order. Italics means it depends on how the players we have at those positions do): FS, SS, CB, SAM, DE, NT, WR, and OL depth.

My pick for surprise player on defense next year is Josh Bullocks. I think in a zone scheme he might be able to flourish.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
I really like this draft a lot of if the big time juniors come out.

Jerry will have ammo to move up in this draft at least. We were really handicapped this year due to the Cutler trade.

Some of my favorites:

Arrelious Benn - WR - Illinois
Marvin Austin - DT - UNC
Gerald McCoy - DT - Oklahoma
Everson Griffen - DE - USC
Carlos Dunlap - DE - Florida
Eric Berry - S - Tennessee
Taylor Mays - S - USC
Dez Bryant - WR - Oklahoma State
Arthur Jones - DE/DT - Syracuse
Bryan Bulaga - OT - Iowa

thecoolest
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Rejus Benn is an absolute beast. I think we'd have to move in to the 1st to get him. Getting one of Berry and Mays would be fantastic too.

BeerBaron
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
We'll be handicapped next year too with no first......I doubt many of those guys come close to us.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2009, 07:57 PM
We'll be handicapped next year too with no first......I doubt many of those guys come close to us.

We didn't have a 3rd or 1st this year which really hurt. You can't trade compensation picks.

We will not be near as handicapped for the 2010 draft.

Also, Jerry could dangle the 2011 first if he wants to move in. He didn't have that option this weekend.

regoob2
04-29-2009, 06:28 PM
No way we trade our 3rd straight 1st round pick.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
No way we trade our 3rd straight 1st round pick.

Uh, why the hell not?

This 2010 class is going to be one of the better classes in a while and this team may be close.

If Jerry really likes a defensive player or receiver and he's got enough ammo to move up, you better believe Jerry would pull the trigger.

regoob2
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Quick 2010 mock.

2. Sam Young RT
3. Auston English DE
4. John Jerry RG

I think Jerry will fall like all the other huge RGs have.

regoob2
04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Uh, why the hell not?

This 2010 class is going to be one of the better classes in a while and this team may be close.

If Jerry really likes a defensive player or receiver and he's got enough ammo to move up, you better believe Jerry would pull the trigger.
Have you not noticed that every year is so much better than the last?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Have you not noticed that every year is so much better than the last?

This last draft was class was weak and everyone was aware of that. That is why almost everyone wanted to trade out of the top-10.

I saw an interview with Kiper on ESPNews yesterday discussing the 2010 draft and he said it's not even close. 2010 is a great looking class.

It's pretty much a consensus that 2010 is going to be much better than the 2009 class.

BeerBaron
04-29-2009, 07:59 PM
This last draft was class was weak and everyone was aware of that. That is why almost everyone wanted to trade out of the top-10.

I saw an interview with Kiper on ESPNews yesterday discussing the 2010 draft and he said it's not even close. 2010 is a great looking class.

It's pretty much a consensus that 2010 is going to be much better than the 2009 class.

Yeah, I have to agree that this past class was very weak.

But one thing about next year that I've noticed lately, it's not going to be as weak of a QB class as I've been hearing, especially if some of the top upperclassmen come out.

I know that really doesn't affect us anymore, but with the potential of guys like Bradford and Snead coming out, it makes next year a lot less weak imo.

SFbear
04-29-2009, 08:06 PM
It will be interesting to see if a rookie play scale gets implemented because that could alter the value of top round picks. If we end up having a down year, it might not make a top ten pick as poisonous.

BeerBaron
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
It will be interesting to see if a rookie play scale gets implemented because that could alter the value of top round picks. If we end up having a down year, it might not make a top ten pick as poisonous.

Denver will just love it then. ;)

SFbear
04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Denver will just love it then. ;)

Damn I keep forgetting. I still can't believe Denver traded their 1st rounder to Seattle. What the hell is that about?

BeerBaron
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Damn I keep forgetting. I still can't believe Denver traded their 1st rounder to Seattle. What the hell is that about?

Either Seattle was smart to ask for that one or Denver is just ********. There is not a snowballs chance in hell we do worse than Denver this year barring some kind of injury to a key player. (Likely multiple key players. Hell, our team bus might need to go off a cliff for us to do worse than Denver.)

So, if Seattle struggles again, theres a good chance they end up with two top 10 picks while Denver could do as badly as they want and if we do well, could be picking in the 20's or 30's. God I hope 30's......

MidwayMonster31
04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Having Denver pick 32nd would be great.

GB12
04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
We didn't have a 3rd or 1st this year which really hurt. You can't trade compensation picks.

We will not be near as handicapped for the 2010 draft.

Also, Jerry could dangle the 2011 first if he wants to move in. He didn't have that option this weekend.
That still wouldn't get you into the first. Carolina gave up their 2010 first and only got pick 43.

PACKmanN
04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Quick 2010 mock.

2. Sam Young RT
3. Auston English DE
4. John Jerry RG

I think Jerry will fall like all the other huge RGs have.

Jerry will be a first round pick, he is the best OG in the draft.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
That still wouldn't get you into the first. Carolina gave up their 2010 first and only got pick 43.

Carolina gave up a first, because they really wanted Everette Brown.

Just the year before Philly traded their first round pick to Carolina for a future 1st. (Jeff Otah)

2011 1st + something else will get you into the first round.

BeerBaron
04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Jerry will be a first round pick, he is the best OG in the draft.

Duke Robinson much?

PACKmanN
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Duke Robinson much?

Duke was over hyped because of the school he went to. John needs to drop the weight, but he is just as talented and has more upside than Duke.

BeerBaron
04-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Duke was over hyped because of the school he went to. John needs to drop the weight, but he is just as talented and has more upside than Duke.

I dunno......last year at this time right up until I think the national championship game, Duke was a lock first rounder with huge upside and pro bowl potential. Then he drops like a rock......

Plus so few true guards go in the first to begin with...

We'll see next year at this time, but right now, I'm skeptical.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-30-2009, 12:42 AM

Just as talented as a 6th rounder?

I thought the kid from Florida State was real good. I can't remember his name off the top of my head.

awfullyquiet
04-30-2009, 02:29 PM
$$$$

remember kids. the higher you pick, the worse it is because you have to pay the piper. and the piper is expensive.

shady00
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Give me...Jerry Hughes in 2010

BeerBaron
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Give me...Jerry Hughes in 2010

Very undersized at 6'2, 248 and if he has another 15 sack season, he won't be around for our 2nd rounder. He'll be going to some 3-4 team in the first as an OLB.

shady00
05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
yeah, Hughes doesn't fit our system but I love his motor; he's not the best prospect in next year's draft, but I love his game.

Bearsfan123
05-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Our needs:

FS-We will have a wait and see approach here. If like I suspect this position falls on its face and we dont have a quality starter, then it is vaulted to the top of the needs list. If Josh Bullocks turns out to be a steal or Zach Bowman is a good FS, or Al whatever is a steal from the draft. 3 chances I still dont like our odds.

WR-This is still a need. As of right now we have no idea how Iglesias and Hester will perform this year. Regardless we will still need at least one WR with some potential. But again, if Iglesias and Hester fail we will need an impact player next year.

OL Depth- Our young guns who should be with the team for awhile are Frank Omiyale (OG/OT), Chris Williams (OT), and Josh Beekman (G/C) This is Frank's first year so we will see, this should be Williams first full year playing, and from Josh we have seen he is serviceable at G but his future position is C. So we have 3 hopefully good starters for the future. Beyond that everyone else is getting short on time.

CB-Tillman is aging. Vasher hasn't played well in a few years, and our depth is only okay. I like DJ Moore and Corey Graham but even Im not sold that they are our future stars at the position. If it came down to Corey Graham and DJ Moore as starters and Daniel Manning as our nickelback I would be worried since none are very physical. Regardless, we still need at least one development corner from next years draft.

LB- I like Jamar as a WLB and I think its time to start thinking about Urlacher's future. We need some impact depth at this position.

These are the areas I think should be on our draft board for next year (as of now these are subject to change)

bearfan
05-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Our needs:

FS-We will have a wait and see approach here. If like I suspect this position falls on its face and we dont have a quality starter, then it is vaulted to the top of the needs list. If Josh Bullocks turns out to be a steal or Zach Bowman is a good FS, or Al whatever is a steal from the draft. 3 chances I still dont like our odds.

WR-This is still a need. As of right now we have no idea how Iglesias and Hester will perform this year. Regardless we will still need at least one WR with some potential. But again, if Iglesias and Hester fail we will need an impact player next year.I agree, I dont think that our guys are top notch WRs

OL Depth- Our young guns who should be with the team for awhile are Frank Omiyale (OG/OT), Chris Williams (OT), and Josh Beekman (G/C) This is Frank's first year so we will see, this should be Williams first full year playing, and from Josh we have seen he is serviceable at G but his future position is C. So we have 3 hopefully good starters for the future. Beyond that everyone else is getting short on time.

CB-Tillman is aging. Vasher hasn't played well in a few years, and our depth is only okay. I like DJ Moore and Corey Graham but even Im not sold that they are our future stars at the position. If it came down to Corey Graham and DJ Moore as starters and Daniel Manning as our nickelback I would be worried since none are very physical. Regardless, we still need at least one development corner from next years draft. This is where I disagree. We have 3 young guys in McBride, Graham, and now Moore. I think that the 1st two have showed that they can contribute, and play pretty decently. Moore had a good draft grade on him. Develop the guys we have and we'll be fine

LB- I like Jamar as a WLB and I think its time to start thinking about Urlacher's future. We need some impact depth at this position. We also just drafted a guy, Freeman, in the 4th round. But yes, I think we should think about drafting a guy to sit behind Urlacher pretty soon.

These are the areas I think should be on our draft board for next year (as of now these are subject to change)

screw 10char

Wavy77
05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Personally I don't buy into our DBs being weak until we get consistent pressure from our front four. If we had the Vikings d-line our DBs would have looked better then they did last year.

I'm not saying that we're set at any of the DB positions, but I'd focuse on fixing the defensive line before looking at the backs.

As pointed out earlier next years class is very good and deep. I read somewhere that it's going to be one of the best classes in decades. Now, there's still a season of college football to be played and some waiting to see what juniors declare, but there's no doubt that the overall quality is very good, and not only that: dpeth is good as well, making it likely that several potential first rounders could fall down to the second.

I was a little bummed to hear that we almost traded this years second for a first rounder this year (I think Connor Barwin going to the Texans at 46 was what ruined this party for us), but now we've got two d-linemen (Gilbert and Melton) for that pick, and by next season these guys both have one year under the belt where they have the chance to improve.

A WR I'm a little intrigued by is Carlton Mitchell out of South Florida. He's 6-4 and ran a 4.40 40 yd dsh, but his 08 season was quite lackluster, so right now his grade is more like a 3rd rounder but if his 09 season is better he might be a stud going into the draft (I'm not sure if he's a junior or senior tbh).

awfullyquiet
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Personally I don't buy into our DBs being weak until we get consistent pressure from our front four. If we had the Vikings d-line our DBs would have looked better then they did last year.

Or more profoundly: if you have pressure up front like san diego got. you make Cromartie look like god.

regoob2
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok so who is "your guy" for next draft. I had Everette Brown and DHB last season. I have a few that I really like.

Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma st - Easily my favorite prospect for the 2010 draft. Guy can do it all.
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v156/129/118/17130741/n17130741_34389149_9833.jpg

Auston English DE Oklahoma
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/2935239306_ed7e5e327e.jpg?v=0
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/images/admin/englishyear.jpg

Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech
http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQl7ZdDdXe3thjQytwEJr54gAAAAgLcq E6RvSsBw%2C%2C
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1007/ncf_u_thomas_600.jpg

bearsfan_51
06-03-2009, 11:53 PM
http://ladiesdotdotdot.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/decker2.jpg

Smokey Joe
06-04-2009, 12:06 AM
I hope I get a scholarship from Minnesota so I can accept it, be on the team, and completely ruin them for you.

dabears10
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
DECKERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

But also
http://blog.nola.com/sportswrapup/2007/10/07brandon__JPG__3586262.jpg

shady00
06-12-2009, 04:17 AM
Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech

Wow that guys a beast, looks like Boldin

regoob2
06-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Every post in this thread should have Dez Bryant in it. He's that good. :D

MidwayMonster31
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
It does suck that we traded our first round pick for 2010, but definitely worth it for Jay Cutler, so I'm going to look at 2nd/3rd round guys.
Eric Decker is one of them. The only question is whether he will play baseball or football. Nothing needs to be said about Dez Bryant, he's that good.
My wide receivers...

DeMaryius Thomas
http://media.gatewaync.com/wsj/images/2008/10/05/dukefb.jpg

Dezmon Briscoe
http://images.morris.com/images/lubbock/mdControlled/cms/2008/10/25/348137105.jpg

Mark Dell
http://blog.mlive.com/spartans_impact/2008/09/medium_dell04.jpg

Mardy Gilyard
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200811/gilyard1.1_330.jpg

Free safeties...

Morgan Burnett
http://images.athlonsports.com/d/15436-1/MorganBurnett.jpg

Deunta Williams
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/North+Carolina+v+Rutgers+lhLHb8xYWaNm.jpg

Nate Allen
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/na9.jpg

ToldLikeItIs
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
RT Kyle Calloway could be a decent pickup in the 2nd or 3rd round for you guys.

Three year starter for Iowa at 6'7 320

regoob2
06-12-2009, 10:08 PM
RT Kyle Calloway could be a decent pickup in the 2nd or 3rd round for you guys.

Three year starter for Iowa at 6'7 320
He doesnt get the best push and isnt overly athletic. Thats likely a bit early. Id be all for him a few rounds later.

regoob2
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
It might be a smidge early for this but who cares.

2. George Selvie - DE USF
3. Mike Williams - WR Syracuse
4. Adam Ulatoski - OT Texas
5. Micah Johnson - LB Kentucky
6. A.J. Wallace - CB Penn State

bearfan
08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
It might be a smidge early for this but who cares.

2. George Selvie - DE USF
3. Mike Williams - WR Syracuse
4. Adam Ulatoski - OT Texas
5. Micah Johnson - LB Kentucky
6. A.J. Wallace - CB Penn State

I disagree with going DE with our 1st pick. Yes we need the help, but at the same time we have some younger guys that are projects that maybe Marinelli can work into some pretty decent players. Mark Anderson, Henry Melton and maybe a bit of Gilbert.

Same goes with WR. A lot of young guys with potential, why add another Wr to the mix. Hester, Bennett, now Rideau is turning heads, we still have Knox that the team has been raving about and Iglesias.

BeerBaron
08-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah, not a fan of another mid round WR....

Honestly, it'll be another depth adding year I think. We could use some more younger guys along the o-line....probably at S too.

bearfan
08-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Yeah, not a fan of another mid round WR....

Honestly, it'll be another depth adding year I think. We could use some more younger guys along the o-line....probably at S too.

I hope so, definitely at OL. I wouldnt mind seeing a RB taken in rounds 2-4 either pending on how Kevin Jones does this year as a #2.

MidwayMonster31
08-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I like the Selvie pick. I would like to restock the lines this year as well. If we can go DE and FS with the first two picks, I would pretty happy with that. I think CJ Wilson from East Carolina would fit in well.

bearsfan_51
08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
As a Gophers fan and season-ticket holder, I love Eric Decker, but even I would give Bennett and Iglesias a chance before drafting him, as he's a very similar player.

That said, I hope we draft him, so I don't have to root for another team.

bearsfan_51
08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
I hope I get a scholarship from Minnesota so I can accept it, be on the team, and completely ruin them for you.
You're obsession with me is flattering my good sir.

sweetness34
08-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Cumberland has a sick physical skillset and has a ton of potential at the next level but the concerns are his work ethic and lack of production. I think a lot of it has to do with him not having a good passing Quarterback on a team surrounded with passing targets but I do know the coaching staff has questioned his work ethic before. If he puts it all together he could be a helluva player in the NFL. You can't teach his size, speed, and athleticism. He's a pretty decent route runner and has good hands as well. I'd be willing to take a chance on him assuming he progresses more this year and shows the willingness to work.

regoob2
10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Didnt want to make a thread so I thought Id put this in here.

Opinions?

I think we'll resign Cutler to his $100mil give or take contract at the end of this season.

Gone.
Adewale Ogunleye
Adrian Peterson
Josh Bullocks
Jamar Williams

Resigned.
Mark Anderson
Danieal Manning
Pisa Tinoisamoa
Brad Maynard
Jay Cutler

FA. Darryl Tapp - DE. 5yr - $15mil guaranteed $35-40mil potential. Terrific pass rusher. Accelerates very quickly and has closing speed. Has good upper and lower body strength and can shed blocks. Not just an speed edge rusher, he has a solid inside move as well.

2. Nate Allen - FS USF. Rangy FS with good speed. Has good height and bulk. Good willing tackler.

3. Myron Lewis - CB Vanderbilt. Tall, physical corner. Best fit is likely in a zone scheme. Vandy alum as well. Productive in the SEC.

4. Adam Ulatoski - RT Texas. OT is a definite need. Ulatoski isnt a mauler but he has a good all around game. He definitely needs to work on some things but he'd be a good fit and good value and has starting potential.

5. Sergio Render - OG Virginia Tech. Big, strong, physical OG. Playing well at LG this season but will likely be a RG in the NFL. Not a great athlete and struggles with uber-athletic DTs but is a great run blocker. Also has starting potential or at worst a good backup.

I wanted to address NT but I didnt see better value. I was gonna add Matt Jones to this but he'll be here before then. http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

bearsfan_51
10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Re-signing Danieal could get tricky. I think he can get starter money, and I'm not sure we're going to pay him that. I also don't understand why you guys want to add a cokehead to the team when we already have so many young and promising receivers.

At this point I'd probably just take the best O-lineman on the board, depending upon our ability to resign the guys we have. Another runningback might not be a bad idea if Garrett Wolfe isn't the answer.

regoob2
10-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Re-signing Danieal could get tricky. I think he can get starter money, and I'm not sure we're going to pay him that. I also don't understand why you guys want to add a cokehead to the team when we already have so many young and promising receivers.

At this point I'd probably just take the best O-lineman on the board, depending upon our ability to resign the guys we have. Another runningback might not be a bad idea if Garrett Wolfe isn't the answer.
Young and promising? Sure. Good solid starting caliber? Not sure.

bearsfan_51
10-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Also, not coke heads.

regoob2
10-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Also, not coke heads.If it was marijuana would your feelings be different?

bearsfan_51
10-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Of course. Long-term effects of weed are unknown, and it is not very addictive, if at all.

Coke is incredibly addictive, and considering he's been in troube twice now, I'm guessing his next stay in the league will be a short one. Not worth the time or roster spot.

regoob2
10-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Of course. Long-term effects of weed are unknown, and it is not very addictive, if at all.

Coke is incredibly addictive, and considering he's been in troube twice now, I'm guessing his next stay in the league will be a short one. Not worth the time or roster spot.
Well he is better than any WR we have on our roster and his skill set he has is much needed.

BeerBaron
10-16-2009, 12:38 AM
There's got to be a good reason other than coke-headedness that Matt Jones isn't already on a roster......and I'm assuming that we won't want him for whatever reason that is.

Gay Ork Wang
10-16-2009, 05:59 AM
There's got to be a good reason other than coke-headedness that Matt Jones isn't already on a roster......and I'm assuming that we won't want him for whatever reason that is.
maybe because he has never been a good WR?

regoob2
10-16-2009, 07:47 AM
maybe because he has never been a good WR?
Once pace for 1000 yards receiving in 08 through 12 games. I wonder how bad you must think our WRs are then...

bearsfan_51
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm not really following how we have a problem with a lack of targets. Before the season I would have understood that argument, but the passing game has been fine. Why push everyone else down the depth chart for a guy who has serious drug issues and isn't even that good?

regoob2
10-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm not really following how we have a problem with a lack of targets. Before the season I would have understood that argument, but the passing game has been fine. Why push everyone else down the depth chart for a guy who has serious drug issues and isn't even that good?
He doesnt have to come in and start. All our WR are more of specialist and arent complete WRs. If you dont think he's very good then our WRs arent very good. He's better than Aromashadu (sp) and thats whos job he'd take. I dont believe anyone thinks he's a drug addict. He doesnt have multiple drug arrests. He was arrest once for coke and then was given a failed alcohol test from admitting have a few beers while golfing with friends.

Im not saying our WRs arent getting the job done technically but this is a lot of room for improvement.

regoob2
11-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I like this one. I went with 4 FAs. With the loss of our top 2 picks and the struggles of the team I think the FO will have to go big. JA likes to sign FA OL. One big signing in Mankins. I dont see the Pats paying him. DJ is as good as gone. Dont see Caddy resigning with the Bucs rebuilding. Ive given my 2 cents on Jones.

I didnt do resign/release but I wouldnt be surprised or mind if we let Tommie Harris go as well as Vasher depending on how much money we can save.

FA. Matt Jones - WR
FA. Logan Mankins - OG
FA. Derrick Johnson - LB
FA. Cadillac Williams - RB

3. Sam Young - OT Notre Dame
4. Mike Neal - DT Purdue
5. Geno Atkins - DT Georgia
6. Jeff Cumberland - TE/WR/H-Back Illinois
7. A.J. Wallace - CB Penn State

Smokey Joe
11-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Is the fact that we traded our 2nd round pick for Gaines Adams pretty much the salt on the wound for this whole year?

regoob2
11-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Is the fact that we traded our 2nd round pick for Gaines Adams pretty much the salt on the wound for this whole year?
No. He's a great fit in our D scheme. He's still young as well. He has a ton of potential.

Smokey Joe
11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
No. He's a great fit in our D scheme. He's still young as well. He has a ton of potential.
He's basically a glorified Mark Anderson. I've focused on him when he is in, and he is bad. Also, hopefully come next year, we'll have different coaches and different philosophies/schemes.

Well, I guess its better than spending that pick on another Dan Bazuin.

regoob2
11-15-2009, 09:19 PM
He's basically a glorified Mark Anderson. I've focused on him when he is in, and he is bad. Also, hopefully come next year, we'll have different coaches and different philosophies/schemes.

Well, I guess its better than spending that pick on another Dan Bazuin.
Adams hasnt really played. Hard to blame him for lack of production if he's not on the field.

Smokey Joe
11-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Adams hasnt really played. Hard to blame him for lack of production if he's not on the field.
the reason why he hasn't played much is because he's a blocking dummy out there.

MidwayMonster31
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
When you're getting your ass handed to you by our O-line, that may not be a very good sign. We just better hope that Adams somehow turns it around.

Hurricane Ditka
11-20-2009, 01:08 PM
You can add complimentary running back to the list of needs that won't get filled.

MidwayMonster31
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
You can add complimentary running back to the list of needs that won't get filled.I would hope that they would fill it through free agency. There are some veteran running backs out there. Chester Taylor, Leon Washington, Jerious Norwood, Kevin Faulk and even Mike Bell could work.

Bearsfan123
03-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Trade Greg Olsen next years 4th rder and this years 7th for one of Arizonas late 3rd rd picks

3rd rd: Morgan Burnett S: We need a FS and he has a ton of potential.

3rd rd Arizonas: Tony Washington OT Abilene ChristianEDIT: Change to Sam Young OT Notre Dame: Don't want a registered sex offender on the team. Probably bad for chemistry

4th rd: Donovan Warren CB Michigan

5th rd:Sergio Render OG Virginia Tech

6th rd: Michael Hoomanawanui TE Illinois: I know no one will like this pick but I think he's a solid blocker who can contribute in the pass game. He can fight with Kellen Davis for the final TE spot on the team.

UDFA: Bring Stafon Johnson in for a try out. Maybe we could cut Garret Wolfe and have three legit runningbacks on the roster.

Mr. X
03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Trade Greg Olsen next years 4th rder and this years 7th for one of Arizonas late 3rd rd picks

Why wouldn't we aim higher than some 3rd round picks if we are going to move Olsen?

I think we should trade Olsen for a 2nd or early 3rd round pick, or use him in a package to move up to the 1st round.

Bearsfan123
03-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Why wouldn't we aim higher than some 3rd round picks if we are going to move Olsen?

I think we should trade Olsen for a 2nd or early 3rd round pick, or use him in a package to move up to the 1st round.

Anquan Boldin only got a 3rd and a 4th. Olsen cant block and hasnt had a 1000 yard season yet. His value is not more than a 4th rder.

Monomach
03-10-2010, 10:22 PM

Let's maybe not do something completely ******** here.

For the value you're getting for Olsen, we might as well cut him.

Dumbest trade idea I've ever heard. Good job.

regoob2
03-10-2010, 11:19 PM
We should trade Greg Olsen and our 3rd this year for Arizona' 4th rounder.....

Bearsfan123
03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Let's maybe not do something completely ******** here.

For the value you're getting for Olsen, we might as well cut him.

Dumbest trade idea I've ever heard. Good job.

What do you put his value at? Because if you list out his skills and accomplishments its not very long. Here let me show you.

Good receiver- Nice soft hands great speed for the position. Decent routes but is not more than slightly above average in this department
Production is spotty- Inconsistent production. Could be due to usage, but lack of production is still surprising.

Terrible blocker- gives effort and ground.
High potential- With a good offense around him and consistently targeted he should be able to produce 750+ yards 7+ tds a year with his skills.

Let me think, who is going to give up more than a third rounder for a guy like that in a market where draft picks are hoarded...hmm NO ONE. Here, Olsen is going to be under used in Martz's system, as well as he will be unhappy with his role (since he can't block). So did you learn anything or was it too dumb for you to realize that draft picks are more coveted than more proven players?

Monomach
03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
blahblahblah, look at me, I say stupid things!You advocate trading our best receiver + a 4th rounder + a 7th rounder for a third rounder, and I'M the idiot?

We'd get better value than that just playing him out of position at wideout.

pellepelle_10
03-11-2010, 02:23 AM
What do you guys think about John Jerry - OG - Ole Miss?

I haven't seen many drafts with us selecting him over Mike Johnson. I personally think he'd be a great addition for the team.

Also Darrell Stuckey is an interesting prospect. While his coverage abilities are fairly average he has a lot of potential and athletic ability. I wouldn't mind these 2 guys as 3rd and 4th picks this year. Opinions?

Hurricane Ditka
03-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't think Jerry is athletic enough. Martz likes his lineman to be pass blockers first. I think we're gonna target a guy like Marshall Newhouse from TCU, or Zane Beadles from Utah. LT's in college but project inside or to RT in Martz's offense. The line from the Terry Shea days was you need a LT at RT, but you might as well have one on every spot in the line.

I like Stuckey. He might project as more of SS, but he has the range to play FS in our system. I wouldn't mind him in the third at all. Stuckey in the 3rd Beadles in the 4th and we've got some contributers.

BeerBaron
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I like Stuckey. He might project as more of SS, but he has the range to play FS in our system. I wouldn't mind him in the third at all. Stuckey in the 3rd Beadles in the 4th and we've got some contributers.

I think this thought has gone through the heads of our staff for every safety we've tried out in the past 5 years.

I think the last actual FS we had was Mike Brown before the constant injuries back in like 01.

Unless we sign Sharper as a stop gap and play more man which he was successful with last year in NO, I think we need to look at serious FS targets, not just more guys we can cram there for the time being ala Payne or Afalava.

MidwayMonster31
03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I would welcome Beadles in the 4th.
This year's safeties are a lot like the safeties we have now. They are good, in-the-box run stuffers that aren't very fast, or ballhawks. IMO, Allen and Burnett are the only guys that could do what we need. We're not in range for Allen, so Burnett is definitely possible.

Hurricane Ditka
03-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I think this thought has gone through the heads of our staff for every safety we've tried out in the past 5 years.

I think the last actual FS we had was Mike Brown before the constant injuries back in like 01.

Unless we sign Sharper as a stop gap and play more man which he was successful with last year in NO, I think we need to look at serious FS targets, not just more guys we can cram there for the time being ala Payne or Afalava.

Mike Brown was a bit of a FS/SS Tweener threw out his career with the Bears. I'm not saying it's a good plan, but the Bears seem to like having two tweeners out there. I actually wouldn't be surprised if draft a true SS to help in our run defense, and hope that Peppers improves the pass rush enough to cover the safety play.

I think whatever offenisve lineman we're gonna draft is going to have played LT in College. We need to get bigger and better pass blockers.

BeerBaron
03-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Mike Brown was a bit of a FS/SS Tweener threw out his career with the Bears. I'm not saying it's a good plan, but the Bears seem to like having two tweeners out there. I actually wouldn't be surprised if draft a true SS to help in our run defense, and hope that Peppers improves the pass rush enough to cover the safety play.

I think whatever offenisve lineman we're gonna draft is going to have played LT in College. We need to get bigger and better pass blockers.

1 - Throughout

2- That's why we American Football!

But seriously, I think between the guys we do have, we could present a pretty good SS. I think Payne, Afalava or Steltz could really hold that spot down well enough.

But tweeners definitely haven't been working at the FS spot. I don't think we can get anyone in the draft with the picks we have who will make an immediate impact, so I'd like to keep looking at the alternatives that are out there. Whether we actually do or not is a different story....Just have to hope the pass rush improves and takes pressure off of the safeties.

Bearsfan123
03-12-2010, 06:32 PM
You advocate trading our best receiver + a 4th rounder + a 7th rounder for a third rounder, and I'M the idiot?

We'd get better value than that just playing him out of position at wideout.

Okay first off I need to apologize for acting petty and "lowering" your rep. I will fix it when I can. It was a childish reaction. I am not going to fight with you on this, but I would like to debate it with you. Greg Olsen is a talented receiving tight end, but that is all he is. He cannot play out of position at wide receiver, otherwise he would have been simply moved to that position before. It is a SAD thing he can be considered our best receiving option, but as everyone has said, we have a few young receivers that have flashed good potential. I standby my earlier comment of his value being no higher than a third, but more likely a fourth. He is going into his fourth year, he has flashed good potential, and has produced at a solid clip. Last year he had the 10th most yards by a TE, and he was tied for fourth in TDs. Good stats, but he is not elite, nor does he fit Martz's offense. So at least for this year, he will be misused, if used at all. He will not be happy with his role, he has already said so. And in any offense that wants a running game, he cannot be on the field.

So tell me where you value him and why.

Wavy77
03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Hereīs my mock (Iīve already posted it on OS+Bearreport-site as well).

Rd 3, Morgan Burnett FS, Georgia Tech, Some say heīs a sure 2nd rounder, but that group consists of a lot more players than can actually fit the second round. Coverage guy with the size you look for, plus heīs got solid ballskills as well.
Rd 4, Myron Lewis CB/FS, Vanderbilt, You cannot beat another Vandy-guy can you? Was projected as a potential 2nd rounder, but fell a little due to a disappointing 2009 season. Has the perfect build for a Bears CB. Big strong physical DB with decent speed. May project to FS, but thatīs a position of need anyway.
Rd 5, Shawn Lauvao OG/OT, Arizona State, Despite a bit small heīs played both as a tackle and guard, and is a solid blocker. I took a look at his combine highlight-tape and he looked very smooth and agile for a guard, plus he got 33 reps at the bench press which is third best of all o-linemen (after Okung and Campbell)
Rd 6, Eric Decker WR, Minnesota, Given that he falls this far it would a perfect red-shirt pick for a player with a foot-injury that ended his senior season, cause with the depth in this draft some players will inevitably fall a lot further than expected. Big target with decent speed.
Rd 7, Nic Richmond, TCU, The Bears have already shown some interest in this tall tackle.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think we can wait till the 5th to address the offensive line. You can find starters in 3rd and 4th, the 5th is pushing it. I'd also be weary about not addressing DT.

Boredom prompts another mock on my part.

Round 3-Amari Spievey, CB Iowa. Becomes the third best corner on our roster from the get go, and could push Bowman for a starting spot. Or even allow us to move Tillman to FS. Comes from a similar defense at Iowa

Round 4-Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane. I know, I know. You don't want a receiver, but the fact of the matter we can't send Cutler and Martz into this season without more ammunition or else we're flirting with disaster. I think Martz is going to find his guy, and he'll get every opportunity to compete. WR by committee can work, especially in this offense, the more qualified pass catchers the better. We're probably going to dress 5 or 6 receivers on game day. I can't see Davis making it out of camp. So that'd leave us with Aromasahdu, Williams, Knox, Bennett, Hester and Igleias, all making the 53, and maybe all getting snaps. Williams can contribute on special teams as well.

Round 5-Marshal Newhouse, OT/OG. I know I said you probably can't find starters in the fifth, but oh well. I think Newhouse could slide right into left guard, and the left side on line is set for the immediate future.

Round 6-Myron Rolle S, FSU. I think our biggest deficany at safety is lack of intangibles. Rolle has the smarts to set and adjust our coverages, and fits the Cover 2 safety mold.

Round 7-Nate Collins DT UVA. Another pick I like and am sticking to. Collins could make an impact as a pass rushing DT especially since teams will game planning around Peppers.

Anderson-Collins-Harris-Peppers on 3rd and long could give offensive lines some problems.

Wavy77
03-15-2010, 11:25 AM
If Rolle would be there in the 6th Iīd be all for taking him, but I have feeling someone will take him off the board before that.

As far the DT position goes I cannot see the big need to take one. The position is pretty well set already, and with Peppers the rest of the line will look better. Given JAs infatuation with defensive linemen Iīm pretty sure heīll take one with one of his first three picks, but in my mind heīs overdrafting that position, and thatīs one of his weaknesses on draft day. Personally Iīd like to see what Jarron Gilbert can bring to the table now that heīs got a year under his belt rather than spending another pick on a position that after all isnīt that big of a need compared to offensive line and safety.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
The postion has been over-drafted because our scheme dictates that be the case. The Peppers signing is an oppurtunity to turn what has been a weakness into a strength. I'd like to see what Gilbert and Melton can do, but I think we need as much compeition and depth at the position as possible. The 3T is the catalyst of this defense, even more so now that we have Peppers, we need that push inside.

I think we're going to use the draft to furthur bolster our pass rush. Either by taking a defensive lineman or even a pass rushing LB. I think if he was available at our pick we'll take Koa Misa. He's a high motor guy who can get after the quarterback, I think he could be effective as a 3rd Lber in pass situations, as well DE opposite Peppers.

Wavy77
03-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I know our scheme commands production from the front four and everything. Itīs just that this year I feel the most important thing is to fix our secondary and the offensive line. We kind of already used a 2nd rounder on a defensive lineman, and I would have problems to justify using another early pick on a front four guy.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
You might, but Lovie and Jerry won't. Our scheme doesn't command production from the front four, it requires it. It doesn't work without it. If the defensive line is hitting on all cylinders, it will cover sub par secondary play. That's just how our defense works. Fixing our defensive line will improve the secondary. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a safety or a corner, I'm just saying that if Julius Peppers is only pass rushing threat (and right now he is) it won't matter cause they'll get eaten alive anyway.

Wavy77
03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I think itīs being very hard on the rest of our defensive line to say that Peppers is the only guy who can get to the QB. in 09 we ranked 13th in the NFL in sacks. Below were teams like the Colts, the Jets the Patriots and the Ravens while teams like the Browns and the Raiders had more sacks than we did.
Ok, sack numbers donīt tell it all, cause a defense that can stay off the field will have less production, but at some point we need to leave it at where weīre at. Tommie Harris, Marcus Harrison, Julius Peppers and Alex Brown, with backups like Anthony Adams, Jarron Gilbert, Mark Anderson and Israel Idonije is a defensive line that I can live with. If we cannot get to the QB with those guys it wonīt help to bring in some 4th rounder to kick start the QB pressure. If you want some immediate impact you might do that in free agency, not in the mid-late rounds of the draft.

Given the current state of our coaching staff/front office thereīs no secret that theyīre pretty much on the hot seat, so if thereīs a top prospect falling into the second round I could see us trading a 2011 1st rounder to get that guy (pretty much like the Panthers did last year when they got Everette Brown), but that must mean someone like Jared Odrick falls

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I think a guy that falls that could generate alot of interest from us in Arrelius Benn, the organization is in "save-face" mode, (in addition to "save-job" mode). Benn could slip as far the third. He's a big time receiver and him and Cutler could do damage.

Sacks by defensive lineman

Adewale Ogunleye-6.5
Alex Brown-6
Anderson-3.5
Indonji-2.5
Anthony Adams-2
Tommie Harris-2.5
Marcus Harrision-1.0

That's pretty poor, especially considering how often they were on the field. We can probably double Wale's number, with Peppers. But we need to get a push from the inside. Tommie is the only real 3 Technique we have, Gilbert and Melton are going to be worked at that spot, but we shouldn't be happy with just those guys at the key position in our defense.

Wavy77
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
We have been moving in the direction of blitzing packages the last couple of years already (pretty much like the rest of the league), which reflects in the fact that we donīt really have any sack artists, while we have plenty of players who have a sack or two (Al Afalava, Lance Briggs and Hunter Hillenmeyer all have two each). Even though our defense relies on pressure from the front four, packages, stunts and zone blitzes have become a more important part of what we do than it was during the heydays of the cover two, where we could pretty much depend on speed and athleticism all over.

Hurricane Ditka
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
We've been blitzing because we haven't gotten to the quarterback, which leaves our secondary exposed. For this defense to work we need to blitz less, and more effectively.

pellepelle_10
04-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Just curious on what people think about WR - Marcus Easley as a late round selection for Chicago. The guy is extremely raw but has a lot of athletic abililty. Chicago is apparently interested in him and he's impressed a lot of scouts with his combine and pro-day results.

regoob2
04-11-2010, 08:39 PM
So who is everyones personal favorite in round 3?

Id probably say John Jerry because of his positional value but I have a few others very close.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Allen, Burnett, or Wright. I can see Allen going lower than projected because hes a steady prospect, not much 'wow' factor. And potential always goes before production. But yeah, one of those three and Id be shocked we made the right move.

Hurricane Ditka
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I think we'll have to trade up if they want a safety that can start day 1. If we could back into the second without losing our 3rd we'd be in good shape.

If we stand pat I'd like Jon Asamoah or Amari Spievey

regoob2
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Allen, Burnett, or Wright. I can see Allen going lower than projected because hes a steady prospect, not much 'wow' factor. And potential always goes before production. But yeah, one of those three and Id be shocked we made the right move.

I can't imagine Allen being there. Burnett could be. I'd take him. Wright I wouldn't use a 3rd on.

bearsfan_51
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Burnett would be a fantastic pick in the third.

BeerBaron
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I have my doubts that any of the 3 will be available in the 3rd though. Most likely it'd be Wright if there was, but i like him significantly less than the other two.

BeerBaron
04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
I was looking at some mocks and was trying to think who we'd take if we still had the 11th pick.

Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas would be likely I think, though I don't like Thomas as much as some others.

Iupati and Pouncey could be darkhorse picks....I've actually seen Pouncey actually go to Denver with that pick a few times.

But alas....we shall never know.

regoob2
04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I was looking at some mocks and was trying to think who we'd take if we still had the 11th pick.

Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas would be likely I think, though I don't like Thomas as much as some others.

Iupati and Pouncey could be darkhorse picks....I've actually seen Pouncey actually go to Denver with that pick a few times.

But alas....we shall never know.

Dez Bryant by far.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Bryant, Allen, and Beadles wouldve been cool. But it also wouldve been with Kyle and no Knox.

I can live with Cutler, Knox, and Wright/Burnett.

BeerBaron
04-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Bryant, Allen, and Beadles wouldve been cool. But it also wouldve been with Kyle and no Knox.

I can live with Cutler, Knox, and Wright/Burnett.

I was just talking more like, if we had the pick with the team as is, who we'd be looking at. Hypothetical nonsense really...

In that situation though, I'd really love it if someone did take Earl Thomas before Eric Berry and he fell to us. Berry in our defensive backfield would be oh so awesome......so very awesome...

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-21-2010, 02:08 PM
I am praying for Chad Jones.

Might have to move up overnight towards the top of the 3rd to get him however.

Cutler has killed the draft discussion.. On the bright side, after this weekend we can look forward to have a first round pick in 2011.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Dez Bryant by far.

I don't think there is any question Earl Thomas would be the pick.

I'd take an OT though like Anthony Davis or Bulaga.

BeerBaron
04-21-2010, 04:16 PM

That'd be real high for a RT...Williams struggled there last year and started playing better on the left side, so there'd be no moving him back imo.

regoob2
04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Thomas and Davis would be horrible picks. Davis is very overrated and a big project. If there's a first round bust its him. No way could we afford to take a FS top 15. I couldnt warrant that high of a pick on that position. Bryant is a much much better player and a much more important position.

MidwayMonster31
04-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Thomas and Davis would be horrible picks. Davis is very overrated and a big project. If there's a first round bust its him. No way could we afford to take a FS top 15. I couldnt warrant that high of a pick on that position. Bryant is a much much better player and a much more important position.The thing is that the Bears probably would've used the first round pick from 2009 on a wide receiver. I think that they would trade down, since the position and players available don't really fit. But I think it would be Thomas.

Hurricane Ditka
04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I think one of the linebackers is gonna be traded in a small move up. They resigned Pisa, Hunter is under contract and Roach and Williams signed their tenders. Maybe Williams, the 3rd and a 6th up into the early third/late second to grab Burnett or Allen.

Jerry said the goal is get to the class of 10 on the field this year. So I'm guessing our first 3 picks will be FS, CB, and OG in some order. But I think if they go secondary in the 3rd unless the value is there at the other position G is the pick in the fourth.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Either Major Wright or Chad Jones at 75 and Im ecstatic.

Hurricane Ditka
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Amari Spievey, Jerome Murphy, Myron Lewis or Morgan Burnett and I'm cool.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Interesting first round. I thought SF really upgraded with the two OL picks. I am higher on Anthony Davis than most and Iupati is filthy.

My predictions for tomorrow: Angelo moves up for DT Linval Joseph.

If stand pat:

@75 - Chad Jones, Major Wright, Kyle Calloway, Jon Asamoah, Amari Spievey.

@110 - Arthur Jones, Walter Thurmond, Tony Washington, Zane Beadles.

Hurricane Ditka
04-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Not gonna happen. We don't need a two gap NT, he'd never see the field. That's the opposite what they want from this draft class.

Hopefully the run on safeties and tackles holds off just a little more and pushes somebody down to 75. With all of the tackles still on the board, somebody like Asamoah could fall to us. That'd be sweet.

regoob2
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I like Joseph. He'd be a good fit at NT. Definitely not a 2gap NT. I wouldn't trade up for him though.

BeerBaron
04-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm just hoping for BPA that's not QB, WR or TE. It's hard to say who will be there, and if a run on S and OL happens, then I'll be happy with just about anyone.

pellepelle_10
04-23-2010, 07:14 PM
alright Beer. Who do you think we take?

Do we go OG if Asamoah and Jerry stay on board or do they go with one of the remaining Safeties? Burnett?? Jerome Murphy? AOA??

BeerBaron
04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
alright Beer. Who do you think we take?

Do we go OG if Asamoah and Jerry stay on board or do they go with one of the remaining Safeties? Burnett?? Jerome Murphy? AOA??

I've been sitting here for about 15 minutes saying "trade up trade up trade up trade up" under my breath for Burnett....no dice.

A lot of guys who would have been nice are going now too...Asamoah, Jerry now....hmm.

I guess I can deal with Major Wright.

regoob2
04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Couldnt be more disappointed in the Major Wright pick.

bearfan
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I wanted Campbell! I read that Martz likes his RTs to be like LTs...Bruce Campbell would have been a fantastic addition to our offensive line. Even down the road, it would have been nice to have young OTs to be here for a while.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I haven't seen enough of Major Wright to truly comment on him, but I think he's a lock to start, which isn't saying much.

I wouldn't mind grabbing another safety in the 4th if Jones is available. I know some will think it's over kill, but we badly need athletes back there..

I was hoping for Wright, Jones, Campbell, or Everson Griffen.

regoob2
04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Forgot Bruce Campbell was there. Well at least we got our annual backup SS.

BeerBaron
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I can't see Wright not starting right away. He's rangier than any of Payne, Steltz and Afalava and is willing to tackle unlike Manning.

bearfan
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm actually really disappointed now, there were much better guys on the board. **** you Jerry

sweetness34
04-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Couldnt be more disappointed in the Major Wright pick.

Why? He was the best safety on their board and can play FS. Maybe Chad Jones or Bruce Campbell would've been better but I think it was a damn solid pick. Big time hitter with good range and is a playmaker in the secondary. It could've been a lot worse..cough Robert Johnson cough.

sweetness34
04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm actually really disappointed now, there were much better guys on the board. **** you Jerry

Like who? Bruce Campbell? We had a need and addressed it with a talented player. I wish JA would've traded up for Burnett, Speivey, etc but he sat back and drafted the best player at Safety on his board.

Mayock and Kiper both loved the pick so I don't know what everyone is bitching about.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZnLEGJaiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG4v-VczrjE

He can definitely play in run support.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Like who? Bruce Campbell? We had a need and addressed it with a talented player. I wish JA would've traded up for Burnett, Speivey, etc but he sat back and drafted the best player at Safety on his board.

Mayock and Kiper both loved the pick so I don't know what everyone is bitching about.

The fact that Oakland passed on Bruce Campbell, THREE times, is enough for me.

I'll take him in the 4th though.

sweetness34
04-23-2010, 08:27 PM
The fact that Oakland passed on Bruce Campbell, THREE times, is enough for me.

I'll take him in the 4th though.

He's a combine warrior. A lot of physical tools but is still very raw. We don't need any more projects in the 3rd round. We need guys who can step in right away and play. I think Major can step in and play. I'll take him in the 4th though, I agree. Kid has some serious upside.

Btw, for those wanting Chad Jones. I was reading up on him and he seems like another project at Safety. Big time physical tools but has marginal instincts and is extremely raw from what Scott Wright wrote in his profile.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
He's a combine warrior. A lot of physical tools but is still very raw. We don't need any more projects in the 3rd round. We need guys who can step in right away and play. I think Major can step in and play. I'll take him in the 4th though, I agree. Kid has some serious upside.

Btw, for those wanting Chad Jones. I was reading up on him and he seems like another project at Safety. Big time physical tools but has marginal instincts and is extremely raw from what Scott Wright wrote in his profile.

Oakland passes on him three times in a row and drafts a different physical specimen project OT in the 3rd over Campbell.. Scary **** right there.

Jones is raw and his timed numbers aren't as good as Wright's. But I think he's a better athlete. Keep in mind Jones has never focused fully on football full time. He was a hot baseball prospect coming out of HS, probably would have been a 2nd rounder, decided to play both sports at LSU, and won a national championship playing baseball.

I just hope we got this one right. My sanity cannot handle another failed safety draft choice.

regoob2
04-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Why? He was the best safety on their board and can play FS. Maybe Chad Jones or Bruce Campbell would've been better but I think it was a damn solid pick. Big time hitter with good range and is a playmaker in the secondary. It could've been a lot worse..cough Robert Johnson cough.
He may be given the FS spot but he's not a good fit. He's an in the box SS. If that's what we want then whatever. There's a reason why GB is a LOT better then us and this is it. They move up for Burnett a 2nd round caliber guy who is good enough to play either FS or SS and we take Wright a 3rd/4th round caliber player who is a pure in the box SS.

sweetness34
04-23-2010, 08:52 PM
He may be given the FS spot but he's not a good fit. He's an in the box SS. If that's what we want then whatever. There's a reason why GB is a LOT better then us and this is it. They move up for Burnett a 2nd round caliber guy who is good enough to play either FS or SS and we take Wright a 3rd/4th round caliber player who is a pure in the box SS.

I would've preferred Burnett but he was off the board. Jerry's conservative drafting cost him his #1 safety at that slot (from what I've heard). I'm in agreement with you that he's not the best pure FS safety we could've gotten, but he was the best safety on the board. Maybe we'll address FS in the 4th round or pick someone up in F/A. All I know though is that Wright has some potential to be a player for us. Keep in mind that our SS position isn't very strong either.

Wright struggles in man coverage, which is good because we play zone. He has good range and is a playmaker. I like the pick personally and think Jerry did a solid job drafting a good player.

regoob2
04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I would've preferred Burnett but he was off the board. Jerry's conservative drafting cost him his #1 safety at that slot (from what I've heard). I'm in agreement with you that he's not the best pure FS safety we could've gotten, but he was the best safety on the board. Maybe we'll address FS in the 4th round or pick someone up in F/A. All I know though is that Wright has some potential to be a player for us. Keep in mind that our SS position isn't very strong either.

Wright struggles in man coverage, which is good because we play zone. He has good range and is a playmaker. I like the pick personally and think Jerry did a solid job drafting a good player.
He's definitely not a playmaker. Not going to get a lot of ints in the NFL. He's another borderline starter. It's just a really really disappointing pick.

pellepelle_10
04-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Like many on this board said Wright is an athletic SS. His coverage skills are in great need of help. I know I may get some flack for this but I would have rather had Darrell Stuckey over this guy. Hell..why didn't we take AOA. I thought for sure he would have been the selection. I cannot believe Angelo didn't make a move when Burnett was within sight. Both him Asamoah, and Jerry dropped before his eyes.

Nonetheless I hope he excells here. I hope he becomes a better pro than collegiate player as Mayock stated. I will continually question Angelos lack of ability to draft players for needed positions. Here's hoping for a better 4th round.

pellepelle_10
04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
He's definitely not a playmaker. Not going to get a lot of ints in the NFL. He's another borderline starter. It's just a really really disappointing pick.

I'm hopefull Jerry gets off his can and realizes Atogwe should be on the radar after this draft. If they want Wright as SS I'm all for it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2010, 09:22 PM
10 picks before our next pick:

Guys I like: In no order...

Bruce Campbell - OT - Maryland
Corey Wooten - DE - Northwestern
Ricky Sapp - DE - Clemson
Dominique Franks - CB - Oklahoma
Thadeus Gibson - DE - Ohio State
Donovan Warren - CB - Michigan
Perrish Cox - CB - Oklahoma State
Owusu-Ansah Akwasi - CB - Indiana something..
Reshad Jones - S - Georgia
Selvish Capers - OT - West Virginia
Arthur Jones - DT - Syracuse

Some pretty decent names.. I must say.

regoob2
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
10 picks before our next pick:

Guys I like: In no order...

Bruce Campbell - OT - Maryland
Corey Wooten - DE - Northwestern
Ricky Sapp - DE - Clemson
Dominique Franks - CB - Oklahoma
Thadeus Gibson - DE - Ohio State
Donovan Warren - CB - Michigan
Perrish Cox - CB - Oklahoma State
Owusu-Ansah Akwasi - CB - Indiana something..
Reshad Jones - S - Georgia
Selvish Capers - OT - West Virginia
Arthur Jones - DT - Syracuse

Some pretty decent names.. I must say.
We need more depth at SS.

bearfan
04-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Seeing that Bruce Campbell and Everson Griffen are still on the board, I take back what I said. Wright definitely and hopefully fills a need that we have been needing for a long time.

BeerBaron
04-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Campbell and Griffen would definitely be the highest ceiling guys left. Campbell at RT in a year or two would be very nice. Wooten would be nice too but I think he's a little too similar to Idonije and Gilbert in that he's more of a 3-4 5-tech that we'd be trying to work in somewhere.

A lot of decent corners still hanging around. Could go that way too I suppose...I could get behind Cox or Ansah.

Ansah especially might be good because he could play corner or safety. The idea of just overkilling safety this year hoping to find someone capable of playing there effectively might not be so far fetched.

SFbear
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0424-pompei-nfl-draft-bears--20100423,0,4098502.column

"It's believed the team was prepared to trade down if one of the four players they had targeted did not fall to them. At the start of the round all four players — South Florida cornerback Jerome Murphy, Iowa corner Amari Spievey, Georgia Tech safety Morgan Burnett and Wright — were available.

Seven picks later, only Wright was still on the board. If the Bills, Dolphins or Jaguars had chosen Wright, the Bears would have been moving down, or at least trying to."

Spievey went to Detroit and Packers traded up to scoop Burnett so we'll get to see how they all compare up close.

sweetness34
04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Seeing that Bruce Campbell and Everson Griffen are still on the board, I take back what I said. Wright definitely and hopefully fills a need that we have been needing for a long time.

We are not taking Bruce Campbell, I will put money on it right now. I've read that he is a huge project and needs a lot of work. Although with a 4th round choice I guess it's worth a shot but I highly doubt JA takes him. From his comments, he's going to focus on defense with the next few picks.

SFbear
04-23-2010, 10:39 PM
We are not taking Bruce Campbell, I will put money on it right now. I've read that he is a huge project and needs a lot of work. Although with a 4th round choice I guess it's worth a shot but I highly doubt JA takes him. From his comments, he's going to focus on defense with the next few picks.

They have one offensive lineman they are targeting along with a couple of secondary players. Mike Mulligan, who completely called the Major Wright pick, added a couple more names as far as safeties.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulligan/2191214,CST-SPT-mully23.article
"By the time the dust settles Saturday, don't be surprised if the Bears have taken as many as three players for the secondary. They'll be thrilled if the haul includes two safeties among a group that includes Wright, Stuckey, Chancellor, Nebraska's Larry Asante, Utah's Robert Johnson and Mississippi's Kendrick Lewis."

TitleTown088
04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Burnett would be a fantastic pick in the third.

Tell me about it :D.

I think Wright could be a solid pick too.

Monomach
04-24-2010, 12:36 AM
So the Jets released Alan Faneca because he was going to make left tackle money this year.

In related news, I jizzed in my pants.

bearfan
04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
With my boys off the board, I am satisfied with the Corey Wootton pick.

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 09:59 AM
wootton pick was solid! Especially when he's healthy. I wanted AOA.

SFbear
04-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Isn't Wooten more of a 3-4 DE?

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Isn't Wooten more of a 3-4 DE?

He works for both from what I heard.

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 11:17 AM
We love our 3-4 5-techs, lol.

Hopefully we get a competent d-line out there in one combination of all these guys or another....

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Moore...can't say I know much about him but NFL.com says he's a more physical, tackling type of corner.

Sounds like most everything else we have, but whatev. Special teamer this year at worst.

regoob2
04-24-2010, 11:27 AM
We love to draft players that are "decent" at everything and good at nothing.

bearfan
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
So now we're: Tillman, Bowman, Jennings, Graham, D.J Moore, and New Moore?

We pick a 5th/6th round CB every year...

regoob2
04-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Wooton is probably the best pick so far. He is pretty quick off the line for his size. He's definitely not a big time pass rusher.

regoob2
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
So now we're: Tillman, Bowman, Jennings, Graham, D.J Moore, and New Moore?

We pick a 5th/6th round CB every year...
I wouldnt be shocked if this new Moore doesnt make the team. He'll be on IR this season for sure.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-24-2010, 11:35 AM
He wont make the roster. Perrish Cox sure would have though...

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Carleton Mitchell would have been a nice addition for the 5th round over Moore who will make the practice squad at best. (sigh) lol

Hurricane Ditka
04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Well another draft in which Jerry Angelo completely ignores the offensive line. He doesn't get it.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Well another draft in which Jerry Angelo completely ignores the offensive line. He doesn't get it.

We better fvcking sign Faneca if he gets released. This is ridiculous...

Bears_Fan
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't get it. I have not been able to do my homework this year, but I don't get it. Why would we draft a QB project? I try not to bash JA and Lovie bc they are doing what I can't, but it does not make sense. No WR and no OL!

bearfan
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Wowowowow, a QB? Really? I am furious with this pick. While it is only a 6th round pick, I feel that there were players on the board who could be better for the team aka Tony Washington, Kyle Calloway, Cirion Black, Desmond Briscoe, hell I would have been fine with another DL. But QB? We have a franchise QB, we could have picked up a backup easy or drafted one of the remaining ones in the 7th or UDFA. Jerry Angelo does not know how to build an offensive line.

SFbear
04-24-2010, 01:25 PM
So JA and Lovie do realize they won't be around to develop LeFevour.

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Not taking a WR is no big deal. Unless the team is ready to give up on Iglesias already, it would have been extremely difficult for a late rounder to make the roster.

LeFevour...I was out getting some lunch and I can't say I expected that when I got back.

But think about it this way, it is extremely unlikely that anyone we could have drafted there would have helped us out anyway. Why not take a QB with some upside in case Lovie and JA do get to stick around a little while longer?

It's not as bad as some of you are making it seem. Find me the person available with that pick who would have pushed us to the playoffs.

k0ng
04-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Pretty terrible draft as far as I'm concerned. We should have moved up a few picks and grabbed Burnett. All it would have taken was our 3rd and 5th rounder. Instead we got a guy pretty similiar to our safeties now and another project CB. The Wooten pick was good value, but our o-line was the biggest problem with this team last year. We have done nothing to address it. I don't think an overpayed 33 year old Alan Faneca is the answer either.

This team is in the state it is in because Lovie, JA, and co. waste draft picks every year.

Hurricane Ditka
04-24-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm guessing we take one of the Texas v. Nation offensive lineman with our pick in the 7th.

bearfan
04-24-2010, 01:40 PM
It's not as bad as some of you are making it seem. Find me the person available with that pick who would have pushed us to the playoffs.

A 6th round pick is not going to push us to the playoffs this year, but picking a developmental lineman when it is a position of need is much better than picking a developmental QB backup. We have that in Hanie. Build the line through the draft. It is a concept that JA does not grasp.

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 01:44 PM

I hope you remember that little debate we had about this exact topic 2yrs ago. This guy Angelo evades drafted lineman like no other. It's not even funny. The line was clearly our biggest need next to free safety. I should have known safety would have been his first selection because he's been drafting it every year. O-Line is his last choice because ...hell who am I kidding...who knows. lol My bet is he selects a token lineman in the 7th and makes a move for old ass Faneca.

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 01:51 PM
You know guys...I'm just going to take this years draft on the chin because when its all said and done my confidence in this staff being here next year will be slim to none.

I hope these selections prove me wrong because the only person I can clearly say was a worthy selection would be Wootton and just "maybe" Major Wright. Then again I'm just some bear fan voicing his anger on a web forum. My opinion means nothing. lol

Hurricane Ditka
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I hope you remember that little debate we had about this exact topic 2yrs ago. This guy Angelo evades drafted lineman like no other. It's not even funny. The line was clearly our biggest need next to free safety. I should have known safety would have been his first selection because he's been drafting it every year. O-Line is his last choice because ...hell who am I kidding...who knows. lol My bet is he selects a token lineman in the 7th and makes a move for old ass Faneca.

I think it was 3 years ago wasn't it. 2 years ago we drafted Chris Williams. I guess I thought this year that Martz would get a say in the draft. I was clearly very wrong.

bearfan
04-24-2010, 02:00 PM
You know, in the 7th round I feel like there is a lot of talent available at the RB position. As much as I want an OL, who knows how much difference one of those guys can make at this point. Obviously JA doesn't value OL till the 7th round (past shows this), what about a RB like Blount, Stafon Johnson, Charles Scott or Lemarcus Coker. Still want the OL, but will not be upset with a RB.

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I think it was 3 years ago wasn't it. 2 years ago we drafted Chris Williams. I guess I thought this year that Martz would get a say in the draft. I was clearly very wrong.

It was when we were looking at line. I was cheering on us to get Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart while many wanted Williams, Otah. I didn't believe Angelo would have the balls to pull out a 1st round tackle. He finally grew some and drafted Williams. Now he's back to his old self not drafting until Cutler apparently hits the IR. Just ridiculous.

Time for him to attempt to save a veteran whose 2 steps out the NFL door. Bring in Faneca pls. We have no choice now.

I will have to say buddy that I'm with you on this one. This has been a disappointment.

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 02:06 PM
You know, in the 7th round I feel like there is a lot of talent available at the RB position. As much as I want an OL, who knows how much difference one of those guys can make at this point. Obviously JA doesn't value OL till the 7th round (past shows this), what about a RB like Blount, Stafon Johnson, Charles Scott or Lemarcus Coker. Still want the OL, but will not be upset with a RB.

I wouldn't mind RB but we have Forte, Taylor and a young Khalil Bell who had a very good upside. Where does this guy play?

bearfan
04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't mind RB but we have Forte, Taylor and a young Khalil Bell who had a very good upside. Where does this guy play?

No guarantee he does, but I am not completely sold on Bell so it wouldnt hurt to bring in a very talented guy for competition. Usually our 7th rounder doesnt make the team, so why not?

Looking at who is left on NFL.com and using their rankings along with Scotts, guys who I would be estatic with in the 7th: (no particular order)
Kyle Calloway
Tony Washington OT
Selvish Capers OT
Cirion Black OT
Brandon Lang DE
Vince O. (Duke DT)
George Selvie DE
Donario Alexander WR
Lagrette Blount RB
Stafon Johnson RB
Chris Brown RB

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree I have a couple others:

FS - Jeromy Miles - Umass
DE - Lindsey Witten - Connecticut
RB - Deji Karim - Southern Illinois

bearfan
04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I agree I have a couple others:

FS - Jeromy Miles - Umass
DE - Lindsey Witten - Connecticut
RB - Deji Karim - Southern Illinois

Karim was picked. Lets hope JA can pull his head out of his ass and pick one of our guys!

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 02:36 PM
damnit..lol

Here's an interesting tweet by BradBiggs

In 9 drafts (with 1 pick to go) #Bears GM Jerry Angelo has drafted 10 offensive linemen. Five have been in the 7th round.

lol..token lineman in the 7th?

SFbear
04-24-2010, 02:47 PM
lol..token lineman in the 7th?

Like clockwork =).

bearfan
04-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, OL...Not even one of the more talented guys on the board.

Great job JA, you had 2 solid picks. I liked the Wootten and the Wright was solid. The rest could have been better. A lot better.

Lets hope for UDFA players!

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Like clockwork =).

lmaoooooo Bingo!! Angelo..you didn't let us down buddy. lmaooo

SFbear
04-24-2010, 03:00 PM
lmaoooooo Bingo!! Angelo..you didn't let us down buddy. lmaooo

Tribune called it. Good lord 6'8'' 335 lbs. Dude is huge.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0419-around-town--20100418,0,6422442.column

"New Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice is believed to covet Webb as a prospect."

Looks like a practice squad project.

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Tribune called it. Good lord 6'8'' 335 lbs. Dude is huge.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0419-around-town--20100418,0,6422442.column

"New Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice is believed to covet Webb as a prospect."

Looks like a practice squad project.

check this out. I really like what I hear. This is commentary on him on a blog months ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/19947285

Scouts info:

Webb is 6'8 335lbs and not an ounce of fat. He is steady and fast and has all of the intangibles of a perfect OT. He is a mountain and anchors his position extremely well. Very heady player that uses his hands and feet better than any OT playing the game. Scouts are still curious to know if he is the real deal because nothing seems to shake him. I think we'll be surprised to see him draft pretty high. The scouts seem to know who this kid is. Had an excellent game in the Texas Vs. The Nation game and didn't allow a single sack. He even had a FEW blocking tackles! Started as a freshman at University of Texas but transferred after academic troubles. Solid player and only allowed 2 sacks his whole career at West Texas A& M. Cousin of the great Richmond Webb!

bearfan
04-24-2010, 03:25 PM
That is promising. I'll take it.

Monomach
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
With my boys off the board, I am satisfied with the Corey Wootton pick.

I don't mind Wooten, I guess. He's probably going to be a lot better than Mark Anderson. Unfortunately, Greg Hardy was on the board when we took him. THAT I have a big problem with.

Moore...can't say I know much about him but NFL.com says he's a more physical, tackling type of corner.

Sounds like most everything else we have, but whatev. Special teamer this year at worst.Moore doesn't have the skillset to be an NFL corner. Either Jerry's making his usual wasted mid round pick on a ****** corner or he's going to try to make him a safety.

Bearsfan123
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
A couple UDFA's I think we should try to bring in for competition purposes.

Donovan Warren CB Michigan
Brandon Lang DE Troy
Sergio Render G VT
Ciron Black OT LSU
Denario Alexander WR Mizzou
Stafon Johnson RB USC

All of these guys would be good training camp guys who could compete and beat out some guys on the roster.

dawhizz
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't mind Wooten, I guess. He's probably going to be a lot better than Mark Anderson. Unfortunately, Greg Hardy was on the board when we took him. THAT I have a big problem with.

Moore doesn't have the skillset to be an NFL corner. Either Jerry's making his usual wasted mid round pick on a ****** corner or he's going to try to make him a safety.

What about Moore keeps him from having the "skillset" to be an NFL CB? He can tackle. He had double digit PBUs in the last two years, so he at least has decent ball skills. He runs a 4.5 40, which is perfectly adequate for a CB. Have you actually watched any games he has played, or are you just basing your opinion on whatever scouting website is your favorite?

bearfan
04-24-2010, 04:56 PM
What about Moore keeps him from having the "skillset" to be an NFL CB? He can tackle. He had double digit PBUs in the last two years, so he at least has decent ball skills. He runs a 4.5 40, which is perfectly adequate for a CB. Have you actually watched any games he has played, or are you just basing your opinion on whatever scouting website is your favorite?

Well in defense of these scouting websites, their owners (like this one) a lot of work into scouting players. So it would probably be pretty legitimate to have an opinion of a player based off of a guy like Scott Wright who knows football better than the die hards (like ourselves) because he knows what to look for and can recognize it.

dawhizz
04-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Well in defense of these scouting websites, their owners (like this one) a lot of work into scouting players. So it would probably be pretty legitimate to have an opinion of a player based off of a guy like Scott Wright who knows football better than the die hards (like ourselves) because he knows what to look for and can recognize it.

Oh absolutely. I get plenty of my information from such sites and deeply value their input (since there's no way I can follow all the prospects). But there's a pretty significant difference between arguing someone wasn't the best fit, or best player available, and saying that the player absolutely can't be an NFL CB, which seemed to be what the OP indicated. My point was simply that there are plenty of other reports that indicate Moore can be productive as a CB at the next level, and to completely write him off by saying he doesn't have the skillset to be successful is ridiculous.

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
A couple UDFA's I think we should try to bring in for competition purposes.

Donovan Warren CB Michigan
Brandon Lang DE Troy
Sergio Render G VT
Ciron Black OT LSU
Denario Alexander WR Mizzou
Stafon Johnson RB USC

All of these guys would be good training camp guys who could compete and beat out some guys on the roster.

Lang and Warren could be some undrafted guys who would be nice to have....but I bet every team thinks that.

Adam Ulatowski, the Texas RT, is a guy who might be worth a look as an UDFA. Not the most athletic guy in the world but well experienced against top competition and it's a position of need.

All that said, expect us to stock up on small school DBs, lol.

dawhizz
04-24-2010, 06:00 PM
UDFAs signed so far:

Lawrence Wilson, DE, Ohio State
Brandon Minor, RB, Michigan
Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green
Quentin Scott, S, Northern Iowa
Matt Mayberry, LB, Indiana

BeerBaron
04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I've heard good things about Barnes but I've also heard that he's super slow. No one else there really jumps out at me as anything more than camp fodder and practice squad bodies.

regoob2
04-24-2010, 06:23 PM
The draft could have been worse. Could have been much better.

Wright is an ok pick and will likely be a starter.

Wooton was good value at a big position of need.

Moore was a bad pick. Can't sugar coat that.

LeFevour will be a good pick if he gets a Tebow package. I could see him helping out in the red zone.

Webb has a ton of upside/starting potential. Can't ask for more than that out of a 7th rounder.

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM

LeFevour will be a good pick if he gets a Tebow package. I could see him helping out in the red zone.

Webb has a ton of upside/starting potential. Can't ask for more than that out of a 7th rounder.

I'm on the same page with you on this one regoob. I'm not angry but I'm not jumping out of my seat at Wright. They made a safe pick with him.

Wootton was a great pick. This is one of the only picks I can see what they were looking at. I had my preferences to continually add another solid depth player for the secondary, AOA, I cannot be in any way upset with this selection. Moore is definatelly our WTF pick. I hope he proves me wrong but until then I see this guy being cut by the end of training camp. Lefevour I'm on the fence with. Sure many people were high on him but fact of the matter was there were other players we could have made a move for. Its all personal preferece but in the end many people see a possibility of him being a good competitor for Chad Hanie. Lastly the Webb selection I really like. As you stated you cannot expect a ton with this pick. Chicago reached on a limb and selected a guy who we could be talking about for years. I really hope he comes through as scouts and his cousin have stated. All in all I give this a soso draft.

dawhizz
04-24-2010, 08:04 PM
For all the people who dislike Joshua Moore, can I ask what it is based on? Have you seen him play? I'm honestly wondering. I've seen plenty of evaluations that say he was good value in the 5th. PFW had him as a 3rd/4th rounder, Sporting News has him ranked 12th in CBs, CNNSI gave him a 4th round grade, Scott's rankings had him ranked around where he went, Sportsline had him at a 5th round grade, just to name several. You can point out his lack of reps, but he had high tackle numbers at Kansas State and managed to get a good number of PBUs, so he must have some strength. Why does everyone seem to hate this pick?

pellepelle_10
04-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I've heard good things about Barnes but I've also heard that he's super slow. No one else there really jumps out at me as anything more than camp fodder and practice squad bodies.

Freddie Barnes did well in the East West Shrine Game. he was selected to go to the Senior Bowl but he decided to opt out to work on speed training for the combine/pro day. If someone can work with him with his seperation I think he could still be a solid prospect. The guy has great hands. I just hope we give the guy a real opportunity to shine because he catches everything. I have a feeling he's going to get the Mike Hass treatment. Maybe not.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-24-2010, 10:03 PM

The good news is that we can actually look forward to next April and the draft. The last two years have been tough to watch due to the Cutler trade.

I didn't have any expectations for this draft at all. I am pleasantly surprised with what we ended up with however.

Wright/Wooton isn't bad. Both are probably 2nd round talents and we got them picking at #75 & #109.. not bad.

Hopefully Angelo is gone next year. I look forward to a draft without him making the choices.

MidwayMonster31
04-24-2010, 10:54 PM
We might have gotten 2 starters (Wright, Wooton), 3 if we're lucky with Webb. So given what we had to work with, I'm okay with this draft.

ironman4579
04-25-2010, 03:49 AM

I am a Michigan fan so take it for what it's worth, but if Brandon Minor could actually manage to stay healthy, he could really be a pretty good NFL back. Problem is, he's never actually stayed healthy for an entire season.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-25-2010, 02:42 PM
I am a Michigan fan so take it for what it's worth, but if Brandon Minor could actually manage to stay healthy, he could really be a pretty good NFL back. Problem is, he's never actually stayed healthy for an entire season.

I've always had similar thoughts about Minor and I dislike Michigan.

He would have to play special teams to make the team however. And even though Wolfe is a joke of a RB - he is a good special teams player.

Texas Homer
04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I like the Wright pick.

I like Webb as a Prospect as well. Really big dude!

sweetness34
04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1693199

Quinton Scott seems like an intriguing prospect. He has some ridiculous measurables and put up some good numbers in the MVC. He also had a pretty good review from this site. Why wasn't he drafted?