PDA

View Full Version : Grade our draft

LOLitsTomBrady
04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
C-

hated the Pettigrew pick, hated the Levy pick, and i also did not like the Williams pick. Not a fan of the runningback we got either. Meh overall, we didn't really shore up this defense.

Aard
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
B-.

Did not adequately address critical needs, though they added some nice talent. The defense will be ugly again in 2009.

BRAVEHEART
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
B+

First day was awesome, and second day filled needs. Only head scratcher was Levy with our first third round pick.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-26-2009, 06:55 PM
B-.

Did not adequately address critical needs, though they added some nice talent. The defense will be ugly again in 2009.

Yeah i mean in order to rebuild a team, you need to develop your young guys. We only got 1 guy i liked for the Defense and thats Delmas. But we needed Maulaluga at that 20th pick or even when he slipped in the 2nd round. I mean hes a madman who could have changed the face of our defense...and yet we reach for OLBs and try and put them as ILB. I don't know, im just really not feeling this draft and if we got 3 guys who end up good, i'll be happy. I just feel the "Millen presence" is still strong in Allen park. We just don't know how to draft. I hope im wrong. But im very disappointed in this draft.

eeth
04-26-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm borderline C+/B-. I know we needed defense but we got a OLB after we just picked one and i wish we would've picked D or O line, but I'm going to assume they were BPA on the lion's board.

detroit4life
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
over all im satisfied. the pettigrew pick shows we are comitted to build around stafford. Delmas is completely a Schwartz pick. He had a good safety in Tennessee with griffin and delmas is expected to fill that role. Levy is a head scratcher but they must be looking at him to play MLB. I actually really do like the williams pick and thinks he could be a great contributer on our offense. I also like the Sammy Lee Hill hes huge and can be a great NT for us and can clog the middle on the Dline.

Overall i was hoping they would address Defense more ealry on but they did add 2 LBS a DT and Safety.

Yes our defense is going to struggle next year but we all knew it wasnt a one year fix unless we went all defense from 1 on. The good news is tho that they are trying to build around Stafford. Pettigrew will be a great piece to the offense with him and CJ. Plus he is a good blocker and does make our oline better.

ImBrotherCain
04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
B-.

Did not adequately address critical needs, though they added some nice talent.

My thoughts exactly

Xiomera
04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
B+

I don't care about needs. Every position is a need.

I care about talent, and we got a lot of that this weekend.

Brodeur
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
By pick:
Stafford: A
Pettigrew: C+
Delmas: B
Levy: C-
Williams: B
Hill: A- (BURNING BUILDING)
Brown: B-
Murtha: A-
Follett/Grontkowski: Irrelevant

Overall: B

Could have done better but filled a few needs and really helped establish a core of weapons around Stafford.

Prowler
04-26-2009, 08:02 PM
A-
QB of future signed before draft, real TE, impact presence in the secondary, a couple good pass rushing LBs to fill out the position, hill and murtha are two big talented pieces of clay for our coaches, and we have a couple nice options as return men. they picked some nice talent for each level-trenches, linebackers, secondary, skill positions, etc. i'm trusting schwartz.

WMD
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Aside from Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, I don't think we built the TRENCHES!

Calvin & Kevin
04-26-2009, 08:32 PM
C+ simply because I can't see the plan in failing to land a MLB or LT/LG who could potentially start.

Sure, if some of these players work out then it's a much better grade, but that's always true.

Xiomera
04-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Aside from Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, I don't think we built the TRENCHES!

Stafford is gonna play LG until he's ready to take over at QB.

5 Fingers of Death
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
B

Delmas and Follett will smash and bash.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
B+

I don't care about needs. Every position is a need.

I care about talent, and we got a lot of that this weekend.

Exactly. I have saw our last 5 drafts all been A's and end up being terrible. I'm not judging anything until they have played in the league.

I have a feeling Sims won't be around much longer though.

WMD
04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I have a feeling Sims won't be around much longer though.
You got a hit out on him?

Scotty D
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Stafford is gonna play LG until he's ready to take over at QB.

Looper is going to be a good LG.

ESPforMe
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I really liked the day 1 picks...

but I'm not sure on day 2. It seems like they could have got better talent with the 3rd rd picks but maybe they saw something in them.

I guess I'll go with b/b-

SINCE1978
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Not a fan of assigning a graded letter to drafts, but I will say we got some talent (at the top especially) that's for sure ... 3 players in fact that were nearly the #1 rated player at their position since high school in Stafford, Williams & Murtha. But too many flashy offensive positions that were not the big uglies up front to protect our investment!

Something about this draft just bothers me though ... and I think the Lions are still suspect at scouting talent in the middle rounds. I did not like the order in which they selected the positions either. For example, this was a deep draft for TE's and a Coffman,Casey,Cook pick-up in 3 or 4 would have been just as good for me. Really was hoping for a defensive STUD @ #20 ;o( Not enough addition to the D overall, we will struggle to stop teams again next year. Hill could be Haynesworth 2.0 ... jury is still out?
A couple more observations, we passed on some impact palyers that were there for the taking in: (Duke Robinson/Kraig Urbik, Rey Maulaluga/Jasper Brinkley, Peria Jerry/Ziggy Hood) all guys I really liked and thought would fit. The Levy pick I don't get, he will have to add 15 pounds to play the middle if he is 228 lb ... we took 2 TE's and 2 OLB's without a natural Mike LB ... that was my biggest head scratcher. I really thought Maualuga was ours, still think Deandre Levy has big shoes to fill for being such a high pick and palying an unatural position in he middle.

It was fun. Let's do it again soon!

noondog
04-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I could see Follett ending up as our starting MLB...dude isn't the biggest, but he makes plays...

BRAVEHEART
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I could see Follett ending up as our starting MLB...dude isn't the biggest, but he makes plays...

I agree, as a USC fan, I've seen this guy play a couple of times and he was one of the bears better players.

Brothgar
04-26-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't know what to say about this draft. It seems that when you are an 0 and 16 team you need everything in the Lions case the don't need list is shorter than the needs list.

Don't Need list - RB, WR, OLB, DE CB. Anything not on that list is a need.

What I think they did was went with the highest ranked player that wasn't in one of those positions.

1. Matt Stafford - Grade B+ - I wanted: BJ Raji - I have a huge mancrush on BJ Raji and believe he will be a great NT. That said I believe that the Lions saw Stafford as the best player in this draft better than the tackles better than Raji. I think he is the best QB prospect in this year's draft, next years draft, and even last years draft. It is up to the coaches to take this potential and bring it out.

20. Brandon Pettigrew - Grade C+ I wanted Michael Oher - It is only a C+ because Michael Oher was on the board. I can see why Oher was not picked the down points are scary and Pettigrew is a much safer pick. Has trouble learning offenses, very inconsistent with his footwork (Watch the senior bowl tapes he would be dominant one point and then just get owned by an inferior DE right after) I suppose that those reasons were enough to scare the Lions off from Oher. Pettigrew is a great blocker and could be a do it all Jason Witten type guy for us when we have Jared Allen on the outside we can double him with Pettigrew and help Backus out when needed. Lets just say I don't agree with the pick but I understand it.

33. Louis Delmas - Grade B - At first I was floored when they passed on Rey Rey again for the 3rd time. In the heat of the moment I was very angry. After I calmed down and looked at it (and heard some of Mike Mayock's analysis) Rey fell out of the first round because of concerns of him being a 3 down ILB that is why 32 teams passed on him the first time and why Lil Animal went before him. Personally I think they got caught with their pants down not expecting Ziggy Hood to be taken by the Steelers. The Steelers surprised everyone with that pick and now there isn't a DT worth getting drafted in the 2nd/3rd round as an UT I like brace but he is only a 3-4 NT and don't see him doing anything at the 4-3 D. Is it just me or is Delmas and Alexander the same player?

76. DeAndre Levy - Grade ?? - I wanted Jasper Brinkley/Scott McKillop - According to their draft position I would have reached a bit here. One of three things are going on here with the Levy pick. Either Sim's job is in trouble. He is a backup drafted in the 3rd or he is going to be converted to ILB. With his ability to stack the FB I think he is going to be kicked inside to take the middle spot from Paris.

82 Lions (From Cowboys) Williams, Derrick - Grade C - I wanted Duke Robinson - It looks at the moment either Robinson was over rated by the TV/internet draft community or very under rated in the League. Williams I don't know. we have a ton of WRs right now #1 and #2 I think are set so Williams might be the #3/4 WR and return man this is going to be a wait and see pick could be great could bust very early.

115. Sammie Lee Hill - Grade A - I wanted Sammie Lee Hill - I love the pick Hill will break the NT rotation early is a big body that we didn't have last year.

192 (From Cowboys) Aaron Brown - Grade ?? - Looking at it I think Brown at best will be the change of pace back or 3rd down guy. At worst he doesn't make training camp.

228 (From Jets) Lydon Murtha - Grade A - I didn't know anything about the guy until I heard his name on 971 (2 or 3 rounds before he was taken) and I looked into him. I like it.

235 (From Falcons through Broncos) Zack Follett - Will be a decent ST guy nothing more

The Last pick won't make training camp I have no time to worry abiyt this grade

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Think you guys will love Pettigrew, but will regret not taking Michael Oher when you could have drafted a great LT prospect...

Past that I think you did well

B+

BRAVEHEART
04-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Think you guys will love Pettigrew, but will regret not taking Michael Oher when you could have drafted a great LT prospect...

Past that I think you did well

B+

Pettigrew was the right pick, I beleive Backus is solid enough (or atleast better than Oher now and his first year). We can pick a LT next draft, but Pettigrew is instant offense as a Pass-Catcher and a Run-blocker. He will make the QB and Kevin better while making plays for himself, this was a great pick-up.

Iamcanadian
04-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Detroit: A+

Sure, we still have to wait 3 years to find out if Stafford is any good but he fit Schwartz's scheme and the position was absolutely correct.
Pettigrew - In an exceptionally weak draft, he was a steal at #20. He is like having a 2nd LT playing on the field re: blocking and is a real comfort player who should really help Stafford develop and Schwartz schemes runs a lot of plays for his TE's if he follows Tennessee's style offense.
Delmas - Can he stand up as a SS over time because he puts his body on the line every play. If there weren't longevity concerns he is easily a 1st rounder.
In this weak draft, the rest of the picks are anybodies guess but I think they did their homework and we'll just have to see.

ShoeLB50
04-27-2009, 07:32 AM
By pick:

Stafford: A... Good pick had to pick the potential franchise QB

Pettigrew: C-... Passed on Oher a future franchise LT nothing against the guy we did take because i think he is a great TE; but you dont pass on a great LT when you have a horrible offensive line and a brand new 80 million dollar QB. And I dont care how good of a blocker he is because its the LT who is going to be consistantly responsible for that blindside.

Delmas: C... Missed out on a chance to stamp our defense with a familiar face and identity in Rey or JL... Love Delmas game but we had bigger needs at MLB. I just keep thinking about that horrible run defense and missing out on a big thumper at MLB.

Levy: C... Bad value and this is really a boom or bust type pick. Will he be another Alex Lewis or Keith Bullock? I just dont think this was a great spot to pick this guy if you liked him and its a gamble drafting a undersized OLB to play MLB without drafting some more help in the middle.
Williams: B-... WR really? so many needs at this point but we are staying true to BPA... Ill be alot more happy with this pick if Linehan finds creative ways to get this guy the ball and his speed translates well on special teams. Not a bad reciever to pick if you need one.
Hill: A+... Great value one of my late round guys... could have a Shaun Rogers type effect in a few years if he keeps working hard.
Brown: D+... Not a fan but hopefully he turns out to be a great return man and 3rd down RB and proves me wrong!
Murtha: A-... A good late round project.
Follett: A... Love this pick one of my guys i had been yelling at the TV for a few rounds to take. At the very least he will be a great ST player but i like his potential to be an effective blitzer in this scheme.
Grontkowski: C+... Good athlete he just might make the team! Didnt need another TE tho.

Overall: B-... I like almost all of these players but I would have picked quite a few different guys and do not like how we did not address LT/MLB when we had great prospects staring us in the face. Wouldnt mind seeing a corner but im not too upset given we took a saftey and henry will most likely be playing corner now. DT was pretty weak this year and I really like Hill too. Just didnt do a good job of addressing needs but i guess its going to be a few years anyways. I was pretty upset on the first day but the second day ended up with a few sleeper picks i liked and i eased up with drafting the BPA and am happy to have great players like Pettigrew and Delmas anyways.

P-L
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
A-

Stafford is a franchise quarterback and he fills our biggest need. Pettigrew was the best player available at #20 and also filled a huge need. He may not have been my personal #1 choice, but he was in my top three. Delmas is an impact player in the secondary who might be able to play either safety position. Day one was an A+.

I think they could've gotten Levy a little later on, but it seems that Schwartz likes his fit as a middle linebacker in our scheme. It remains to be seen how good he is. Derrick Williams was great value at #82. Although I don't like him as a #1 or #2, I think he can be a good #3 and a great kick returner, something we desperately needed. Sammie Lee Hill is an intriguing prospect in the 4th round. His upside is absolutely ridiculous, but he may have a low floor.

Ultimately, the Lions used their first eight picks to fill needs. It may not have been in the order that some fans wanted, but they did bring in some impact talent.

MagicStick20
04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I think all in all the lions draft was an A- or B+

TheDoctor8
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM

Do you understand that there is a draft next year?? Did you really believe that every position of need was going to be addressed?? Their were two positions on the entire field that did not need to be addressed. WR, and Kicker. That is it, every other spot needed to be upgraded and that is what the team did. We will be picking in the top 5 next year so we will be able to grab that big time Tackle. Don't worry.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Do you understand that there is a draft next year?? Did you really believe that every position of need was going to be addressed?? Their were two positions on the entire field that did not need to be addressed. WR, and Kicker. That is it, every other spot needed to be upgraded and that is what the team did. We will be picking in the top 5 next year so we will be able to grab that big time Tackle. Don't worry.

WMD was being funny. All weekend he used that cliche phrase because he knew how much it annoyed me, haha.

sbh15
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
The fact that you could have had Stafford at 1 and Oher at 21 or so and you didn't makes this draft a total failure. Not really, but Pettigrew is really just an offensive lineman who can go down field sometimes, I see no reason not to go Oher if you take a rookie QB whose supposed to be the face of the franchise.

Brodeur
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
WMD was being funny. All weekend he used that cliche phrase because he knew how much it annoyed me, haha.

Maybe because it was all the mocking you did.

TheDoctor8
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
The fact that you could have had Stafford at 1 and Oher at 21 or so and you didn't makes this draft a total failure. Not really, but Pettigrew is really just an offensive lineman who can go down field sometimes, I see no reason not to go Oher if you take a rookie QB whose supposed to be the face of the franchise.

I really believe that Schwartz/Mayhew have a realistic plan in place. Imagine what the offense will look like after the 2nd draft. They will draft their LT, have their Franchise QB, Kevin Smith going into year three, along with CJesus and a solid TE. They realized early that this is a multiple draft rebuilding process.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Maybe because it was all the mocking you did.

I'm great at mocking things.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Besides the obvious answer of I for incomplete

Stafford: A, took balls the GM is thinking long term, as long as we don't follow up with a WR next year which I don't think we will. Calvin won't allow it.

Pettigrew: A-. He was great value, he's a stud and he may not be a trench but he's a trench aid. Helps on multiple levels. Double teaming good DEs, run blocking and a very nice safety valve for our franchise QB on top of it all. Think more than

Delmas: D for Death to anyone going over the middle so therefore A. Fit perfectly, aids in both run defense,tackling and pass defense. Safeties can make an impact. Lay the wood, decent runs won't be huge 40 yard runs with Delmas and Bullocks back there.

DeAndre Levy: C. We'll see on this if Schwartz/Mayhew know what they are doing. I really wanted Jarron Gilbert, but the trade down allowing us to later get a 330 lb DT is very nice. Switching him to the middle makes him a project but we're taking our lumps this year any way. If he works out they are geniuses in the front office. If Hill works out, its still worth the trade down. C also because Levy broke Joe Paternos leg and I want to Penn State.

Derrick Williams: A-. I want to Penn State, I know the guy is a game changer but I'm extremely biased. Helps in the return games which everyon complains about, is quick, did some wildcat things at Penn State, and is a pretty good receiver who could use some polishing on routes though.

Sammie Lee Hill: A. Schwartz said get bigger, 330 lbs in Round 4 is bigger. Project but its Round 4 and he has Grady to work behind this year.

Round 6: Unknown Aaron Brown, 3rd RB chance and kick return skills too.

Round 7: Unknown Murtha, I will call him Martha.
Round 7: Follett, good value.
Round 7: Other Tight End. Need two tight end sets. Shows they went BPA.

Overall A- but really an I. Mid terms are after this season and the final is in 3 years.

ESPforMe
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
I really believe that Schwartz/Mayhew have a realistic plan in place. Imagine what the offense will look like after the 2nd draft. They will draft their LT, have their Franchise QB, Kevin Smith going into year three, along with CJesus and a solid TE. They realized early that this is a multiple draft rebuilding process.
Yeah, x2

One would have to assume Oher is not a franshise LT in their eyes. If that's true you can take him there. Of course, we'll all see who's good and who is not in due time.

WMD
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I was just making fun of the MLive losers.. but if it makes you feel better, you can think it had to do with you. That's cool.. I'll go along with it.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 08:36 PM
I was just making fun of the MLive losers.. but if it makes you feel better, you can think it had to do with you. That's cool.. I'll go along with it.

IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!

El Peefs?????
04-27-2009, 09:22 PM
C+/B-

I liked our later 2nd day picks, sans another TE in the 7th. Ive said multiple times on this board my opinion on Pettigrew being a luxury pick we didnt have the luxury to make.

I really thought trading down from the 1st pick in day 2 to then reach on an undersized backer whose position you are changing was a very bad move. I too would have preferred Jarron Gilbert many times over, he seems like a Schwartz esque Dlinemen with a lot of versatility too.

Im not sold on Delmas either, hopefully he doesnt join our growing list of underachieving 2nd round safeties.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Everyone is making a huge f'ing deal over taking a 7th round TE.

I wasn't aware that a 7th round pick could make or break a draft, haha.

Talk about petty haters.

(This comment is not directly in response to Nerv's comment above. I have heard that said all day long ).

SINCE1978
04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Detroit: A+

Sure, we still have to wait 3 years to find out if Stafford is any good but he fit Schwartz's scheme and the position was absolutely correct.
Pettigrew - In an exceptionally weak draft, he was a steal at #20. He is like having a 2nd LT playing on the field re: blocking and is a real comfort player who should really help Stafford develop and Schwartz schemes runs a lot of plays for his TE's if he follows Tennessee's style offense.
Delmas - Can he stand up as a SS over time because he puts his body on the line every play. If there weren't longevity concerns he is easily a 1st rounder.
In this weak draft, the rest of the picks are anybodies guess but I think they did their homework and we'll just have to see.

A+ ??
Wow, we must have 4 future Pro Bowlers and a Hall of Famer in that crop for a perfect grade from the Canadian. I'm playing with you ... optimism is one thing but really, an A+? ;o) Love your enthusiasm hope it sticks!

TitanHope
04-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Get used to passing on MLB's guys. Schwartz places little value on the position, so it's not a surprise to me that he passed over Maualuga for Delmas, who could be the Lions version of Chris Hope.

I liked the Pettigrew pick personally. It's smart to give a young QB an outlet like a talented TE, who will no doubt thrive with Calvin Johnson going deep. Not to mention, Pettigrew's ability as an inline blocker helps compensate a struggling OT.

Also, there's no such thing as a luxury pick. Over the past two Drafts, the Titans took Michael Griffin and Chris Johnson in the 1st RD - both were "luxury" picks. They both made the Pro Bowl last season. If the player helps the team, then it's not a luxury.

Besides, like half the Titans DEF hits FA next year. ;)

Brothgar
04-28-2009, 07:46 AM
IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!

Xio just confirmed she is a female.

DETROIT BADBOY
05-04-2009, 11:08 AM
B+ for the most part i really liked what we did the move i think we missed on was levy..i dont know to much about him so its not as much a riip on him as it is that we passed up kraig urbik for him i think most people agree urbik could step in and start right away..so i hate that pick.stafford and pettigrew are both good picks but when taken together there a great pick..i cant remember the lions having a real tight end and he will help all phases of the offense and also really help stafford as a young qb really needs good tight end.. look at aikman- novachek..rivers-gates..cutler-schefler..rothlisberger-miller.and when stafford is down in the redzone he can look to calvin and pettigrew as both are about 6'6 that will make it easy on him..so the pettigrew pick was amazing i think.i like the derrick williams pick to he is versitale and also a stafford protection pick..he might not help every game but he can make a game changing play every now and then..sammie lee hill is great pick in my opinion he was about the biggest dt there is and seems to be a athlete to.maybe not this year but after a year in a nfl program we can get his strength technique and conditioning to where he can realize his great potentional and help our whole front 7(maybe a not fat and lazy shaun rogers)..delmas is a nice pick also i know we passed on some good players but we did get the top safety in the draft..he reminds me of ed reed i know he is not quite the player..but there both hardhitting ball hawks with great instincts and have similar builds coming out and he will help stafford in practice everyday cause he is so competive(from what i hear).the lydon murtha pick i think is good too..i never seen him play but i read when healthy he was a 4 year starter at nebraska that speaks alot of him..and his measurables are elite so anytime you can get a elite athlete from a big time program in the 7th round you should..i know he is somewhat of a project but now that we have a legit nfl coaching staff maybe some of our picks will improve lol..im not gonna lie and say i know anything about the other picks but if we get anything from them it will be a upgrade over past years...i know we still have holes but we have to look at the big picture and realize its gonna take a few drafts to get us right.

Addict
05-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Xio just confirmed she is a teenage female.

you got a free improvement!