PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Drafts

tfry
04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
What teams do you think had the best and worst drafts and why?

TitanHope
04-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I haven't had the time to fully evaluate the Titans draft, let alone others, but I know Philly sticks out. I'm a big fan of Cornelius Ingram and LeSean McCoy.

The Bears getting Jarron Gilbert and DJ Moore was good. Considering they traded multiple picks for Cutler, they made the most of what they had.

I think the Bengals had a stellar one too.

Impossible to say who had a bad one without looking at scheme and fit. While a pick looks like a reach, he may fit perfect for the team and be a great pick in reality.

Thumper
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
EAGLES!!

WR Jeremy Maclin
RB LeSean McCoy
TE Cornelius Ingram
CB Victor Harris
T Fenuki Tupou
WR Brandon Gibson
G Paul Fanaika
LB Moise Fokou

AMAZING! A+! I love this! I <3 u Andy Reid!

the decider13
04-26-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna have to say that the dolphins had a bad draft....davis and smith are good, but hartline, turner and white are real questionable.

proshoota25
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
im not a big fan of my patriots and their draft right now

broncofan4lyfe
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I thought the Eagles had a very good draft. I like the maclin pick up. But I also kinda like what the 'Phins did. I mean Pat White was expected, but having an actual "Wildcat" QB on the team could be interesting. Also, I'm kind of partial to Patrick Turner, I believe he has huge upside and is a big target. I hope he can step up to play in the NFL

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
04-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Patriots
Falcons
Lions

all had great drafts

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
EAGLES!!

WR Jeremy Maclin
RB LeSean McCoy
TE Cornelius Ingram
CB Victor Harris
T Fenuki Tupou
WR Brandon Gibson
G Paul Fanaika
LB Moise Fokou

AMAZING! A+! I love this! I <3 u Andy Reid!

I'd Give it an A or A-, honestly. If we would've addressed DT as well, then I'd say A+. But we got Peters, Hobbs, a third and sixth next year as well, so I think this draft haul was an A, and honestly one of the better ones this draft, all homerism aside.

I really think the Giants had a great draft as well.

the decider13
I'm gonna have to give the Lions an A at this point...top players at 3 different positions

wogitalia
I think Eagles, Lions and Bengals all had drafts that really stuck out to me on first glance.

Raiders and Vikings were the two teams that stood out on the bad side, Raiders pretty much drafted nothing but potential and have shown a recent history of doing a good job of destroying that, Vikings grabbed a very suspect player, a stone footed RT(to go with a stone footed LT) and 3 special teamers, sure our special teams were bad, but were they 3 draft picks bad?

Todd Bertuzzi
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
The Patriots and Lions also had a s*** load of high picks.

Bengals definitely had a great draft.

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
While I love the Maclin pick. Lesean McCoy wasnt a good pick, imo.

While I like Ingram. He has a very high bust factor.

B to B+ imo

scottyboy
Ravens
Seahawks
Titans
Bears
/me swallows pride: Eagles

all had top notch drafts

Todd Bertuzzi
04-26-2009, 09:41 PM

B to B+ imo

Even if he has high bust factor we got him in the 5th round. Jason Peters should also be considered when evaluating Eagles picks.

JHG722
04-26-2009, 09:42 PM

B to B+ imo

Absolutely laughable.

How wasn't LeSean a good pick? He fit everything we needed. Ingram a bust? He was a 5th rounder...

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Even if he has high bust factor we got him in the 5th round. Jason Peters should also be considered when evaluating Eagles picks.

Notice I mentioned that, as well as us getting Hobbs, the 3rd and 6th next year, that puts this draft haul at an A for me. I could see some people going A+, but even i'm not going to be that much of a prick...

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM

B to B+ imo

When you get him in the fifth the bust factor go only go so high... all the way up to minimal. But the upside is still there, and crazy. I have said before I think he would've been a borderline first rounder if he was healthy this season.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm loving the Ravens draft.

23. Oher
57. Kruger
88. Webb
137. Phillips
149. Drew
185. Peerman

The only reach I see would be Drew, but even some are saying it's not all that bad. We actually came out of this draft better than we came into it draft pick wise. Same amount, but we actually were able to move up overall by only trading back a couple spots a couple times. Confusing, I know.

the decider13
04-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Absolutely laughable.

How wasn't LeSean a good pick? He fit everything we needed. Ingram a bust? He was a 5th rounder...

Take your homerism down like.....at least one notch

Todd Bertuzzi
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Notice I mentioned that, as well as us getting Hobbs, the 3rd and 6th next year, that puts this draft haul at an A for me. I could see some people going A+, but even i'm not going to be that much of a prick...

The only real needs we had were WR, TE, LT and RB. We filled all those needs with great players. Maclin is a top 10 talent. McCoy could easily be a 1st round pick any other year where RB where a hotter commodity. Ingram is great value in the 5th if his knee holds up. Had he not been injured he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Getting Peters is just the icing on the cake and I am fully confident he can return to his form of two years ago under AR.

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm loving the Ravens draft.

23. Oher
57. Kruger
88. Webb
137. Phillips
149. Drew
185. Peerman

The only reach I see would be Drew, but even some are saying it's not all that bad. We actually came out of this draft better than we came into it draft pick wise. Same amount, but we actually were able to move up overall by only trading back a couple spots a couple times. Confusing, I know.

I love the Oher pick, but I'm not sure where Kruger fits in. He was one of the many DE/OLB prospects that I thought was put out of position. I think he could be better suited as an End (either) in the 4-3 rather than an OLB in the 3-4.

eaglesalltheway
04-26-2009, 09:51 PM
The only real needs we had were WR, TE, LT and RB. We filled all those needs with great players. Maclin is a top 10 talent. McCoy could easily be a 1st round pick any other year where RB where a hotter commodity. Ingram is great value in the 5th if his knee holds up. Had he not been injured he would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Getting Peters is just the icing on the cake and I am fully confident he can return to his form of two years ago under AR.

I agree 100%, but we need one more real DT to complete the rotation. Maybe we have that guy in Klecko, now that he can devote full time to DT. I'm not saying DT is a weakness, but we certainly could've used another to round out the rotation.

Basileus777
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Denver loses by default because of that horrifically bad Alphonso Smith trade.

YAYareaRB
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
1. Michael Crabtree - He's a beast.
3. Glenn Coffee - He's definitely a guy I would like running behind Frank Gore.
4. Scott McKillop - Groom this guy into playing next to P Willie.
5. Nate Davis - Some had this guy in the 1st round a couple months back. With the right coaching, he could surprise alot of people.
6. Bear Pascoe - Upgrade over Bajema. Good blocking and surprising receiving skils.
7. Curtis Taylor - Our special teams ace hitman since the departure of Mark Roman. I expect this guy to be getting fined for some of his tackles.
7. Ricky Jean Francois - Good value in the 7th round. Natty Champ Game MVP. Let's get him motivated.

coordinator0
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I love the Oher pick, but I'm not sure where Kruger fits in. He was one of the many DE/OLB prospects that I thought was put out of position. I think he could be better suited as an End (either) in the 4-3 rather than an OLB in the 3-4.

That's what he's going to be asked to do actually. Eric DeCosta said that they want him to bulk up and play LDE (I can only assume in a 4-3, maybe a 3-4). I think we are transitioning more to a 4-3 with Harbaugh and Mattison (our new DC). I absolutely love the pick, and he can play a little 3-4 OLB while he gets bigger. I had the same thoughts as you at first though.

JHG722
04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Take your homerism down like.....at least one notch

I'm not remotely being a homer...

the decider13
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Denver loses by default because of that horrifically bad Alphonso Smith trade.

This is why it's stupid to make draft grades...I think the trade was bad, but the player is not. I don't hear anyone dragging the Panthers through the mud for trading next years first for Brown. The Broncos actually brought in lots of good players. McDaniels went in to the draft with a plan, and he stuck by it.

the decider13
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm not remotely being a homer...

sorry...I was kidding. Forgot to put the lol at the end

Mr. Hero
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Nicks, Sintim, Beatty, Barden, Beckum, Brown, Bomar and two late round DBs, sure we drafted a **** ton of guys who's names start with B's but it was an awesome haul.

AllanO444
04-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Titans had a great draft. Kenny Britt, Sen'Derrick Marks, Jared Cook top 3 picks. McRath/Kropog in the 4th and Ringer in the 5th are some other notables. Almost every pick was a great value pick that also filled a need.

tjsunstein
04-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Giants and Eagles stand out to me. I would have to have more time to put together a real opinion though. I love the Packers draft too. Totally underrated.

lost33cause
04-26-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't see how the Bengals don't make everyones top 3 list. I am a Bengals fan and we can be quite critical of my own team but I just can't complain too much about the past 2 days.

sup3rdup3r
04-26-2009, 11:26 PM
1. Michael Crabtree - He's a beast.
3. Glenn Coffee - He's definitely a guy I would like running behind Frank Gore.
4. Scott McKillop - Groom this guy into playing next to P Willie.
5. Nate Davis - Some had this guy in the 1st round a couple months back. With the right coaching, he could surprise alot of people.
6. Bear Pascoe - Upgrade over Bajema. Good blocking and surprising receiving skils.
7. Curtis Taylor - Our special teams ace hitman since the departure of Mark Roman. I expect this guy to be getting fined for some of his tackles.
7. Ricky Jean Francois - Good value in the 7th round. Natty Champ Game MVP. Let's get him motivated.

plus we got Carolinas first round pick. They have a brutal schedule so it's not inconceivable that they finish in the top 15

fenikz
04-26-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not gonna say the Cardinals no need to glorify a already perfect draft

Best - Bengals
Worst - Raiders

I_C_DeadPeople
04-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not gonna say the Cardinals no need to glorify a already perfect draft

Best - Bengals
Worst - Raiders

Bengals and Lions have great drafts - whoda thunk? I guess along with the great market crash even the NFL draft has been turned upside down.

I am convinced that Mike Brown sat in with Al Davis this weekend to "help him re-build".

I thought the Broncos draft was bizzare and added the clusterf**k with losing Cutler and next years #1...wow

Texas Homer
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I really like the Texans Barwin and Casey picks.

Abaddon
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Best Draft + Offseason: NY Giants by a mile.

TitleTown088
04-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Teams I thought did well:
Giants
Bengals
Packers
Bears
Iggles
Ravens
Colts

Oh and Bills.

billsfootball15
04-26-2009, 11:51 PM
(when reading this ignore my name)

i think the bills had a great draft.

aaron maybin is an immeadiate upgrade as far as pass rush is concerned.
wood/levitre give us 2 nasty blue collar guys to go inside along with newly acquired hangartner
byrd is so underrated and i think he projects as a great safety in the NFL
nelson in the 4th rd is honestly one of the biggest steals of the draft. i dont think many people had him going out of rd 2

take it for wat its worth but also the following experts said the Bills had the best draft:
-Kiper
-McShay
-Dilfer
-Michael Smith

fenikz
04-27-2009, 12:05 AM
didn't know those bottom 2 classified as experts heck even the 3rd one is questionable

CroomDawgs
04-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Packers, Seahawks, Steelers, and Bears I liked.

Oakland as usual sucked. Dolphins made some major reaches IMO. Denver didn't pick bad players but giving up a first rounder for Alphonso Smith was awful

CroomDawgs
04-27-2009, 12:16 AM
(when reading this ignore my name)

i think the bills had a great draft.

aaron maybin is an immeadiate upgrade as far as pass rush is concerned.
wood/levitre give us 2 nasty blue collar guys to go inside along with newly acquired hangartner
byrd is so underrated and i think he projects as a great safety in the NFL
nelson in the 4th rd is honestly one of the biggest steals of the draft. i dont think many people had him going out of rd 2

take it for wat its worth but also the following experts said the Bills had the best draft:
-Kiper
-McShay
-Dilfer
-Michael Smith

They really should have upgraded at tackle though, unless they plan on throwing Levitre out there. Maybin IMO isn't NFL ready I thought Orakpo would have been the better pick.

griff2213
04-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Bengals and Lions have great drafts - whoda thunk? I guess along with the great market crash even the NFL draft has been turned upside down.

How can you say Cinci and Detroit had good draft? Cinci sucks and just continued following their formula for failure by drafting more lazy players with character concerns. Smith over Monroe? Wow. And Detroit didn't get a left tackle? Like what?? Michael Oher is on the board at 20?? Beatty and Britton are on the board at 33??

JoeyJr09
04-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna have to say that the dolphins had a bad draft....davis and smith are good, but hartline, turner and white are real questionable.

I thought they did ok. Nothing more then just ok though. It was a boom or bust draft for sure.

White could probably end up being the biggest playmaker in this draft depending on how he is used in the wildcat but thats a huge question right now.

Turner and Hartline were reaches but Clemons and Gardner were great value picks later on so they more or less wash there.

Vontae Davis and Sean Smith had the two biggest upside of the entire CB class.

There certainly is a high bust potential with some of their picks but they made sure to hit WR and DB so much that even if a couple bust, they'll be ok. And the holes at CB and WR were so glaring that is really was the correct approach IMO.

Dolphins draft is a solid C/C+ IMO. Just ok.

Not one of the worst tho.

PossibleCabbage
04-27-2009, 10:40 PM
The Broncos draft really baffled me. They're switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense, and they have a ton of holes in the front 7. So what do they draft on defense? They take a 4-3 DE, 2 CBs, and a FS, spending the rest of the picks on the offense. I don't get it at all.

Abaddon
04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
The Broncos draft really baffled me. They're switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense, and they have a ton of holes in the front 7. So what do they draft on defense? They take a 4-3 DE, 2 CBs, and a FS, spending the rest of the picks on the offense. I don't get it at all.

McDummy: He does it wrong

yodabear
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't give a **** about the winners. Down the line most people drafted yesterday will more than likely be worthless.

Losers: The AFC West, all four of their drafts sucked balls.

PossibleCabbage
04-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I mean, I'm sure a lot of the guys the Broncos got are really good players and were good value where they were picked, but was there never anybody who was a good value available when they picked who could also fill one of their many holes in the front 7 on defense?

Then again, they did hire Nolan. It's entirely plausible that they'll be running the big nickel 4-2-5 as their base defense, instead of the 3-4 (in which case Ayers makes sense), but who are the other five guys?

PalmerToCJ
04-27-2009, 10:55 PM
It's always dangerous to be named the 'best' draft... It never pans out.

Mr. Hero
04-27-2009, 11:36 PM
I think the Broncos draft is solid although I wish they had at least drafted someone like Sammie Lee Hill so they at least had a good rotational NT, who knows maybe Mangini flips **** on Shaun Hill between now and camp and send him away.

SenorGato
04-27-2009, 11:53 PM
The Jets got no love with a top QB and a heavy duty RB?

Is it because it's only two significant picks?

M
04-28-2009, 12:02 AM
I think that Coach McDaniels has a plan. The problem is that nobody knows what it is, McDaniels won't tell, and nobody can figure it out.

As far as Cutler this was all Buss Cook = Cutler's agent. He negotiates for a new contract in the media and like Tenessee with McNair, and Farve with GB he will force a trade to get a future contract with a new team so I cannot assume like many that keeping Cutler was ever an option for Broncos. Accordingly, I do not hold this in any way against Coach McDaniels.

1. I realize that no solid DT existed at 12 and so he took a luxury pick of Moreno however, it was not a need with free agents of Buckhaulter, Jordan, Arrington, Selvin Young and crowd favorite Torrain. I thought we were going to take a DE from Texas however we passed.

Don't know about ability to trade down a few picks as I was not there but if he thinks Moreno is next TD then I can understand what he did.

2. Ayers is a one year wonder but seems a 4-3 DE not an OLB in 3-4 regarless I will give them credit for addressing a need and getting a potentially talented player

3. Trading a 2010 top 10 pick for a nickle corner back I did not get. I thought it was Ray or Ron Brace DT from Boston College that went to NE would be available at next pick but no. We all know we will be in bottom 3rd of league next year but why trade away the building blocks of the foundation for a part time player - TERRIBLE MOVE. I also liked Darius Butler better at this position anyway. Should have traded the next 3rd round pick and a 6th to move up but next years first are you kidding. Did the other team wear masks on the phone when talking to McDaniels? This was the point when I lost confidence and said -"he does not understand what the purpose of the draft is for!"

The theme of trading away picks to move up is a troubling trend that continues.

"he does not understand what the purpose of the draft is for!"

4. McBath a solid pick at this stage of draft

5. Quinn - I realize he is a solid 1 dimensional blocking TE but this high causes serious concerns. This guy is a young version of Daniel Graham who is our starter so why is depth at a position a necessity when we do not have NFL quality starters on the defensive line at this stage of the game? I thought DT from Michigan Terrance Taylor would be the pick here but why get big bodied DT for our undersized DL - what do I know.

The trading away of draft picks continues - RED FLAG

"he does not understand what the purpose of the draft is for!"

6. Bruton - another safety - a solid backup special team player bot nothing solid on a weak ND team - has no coverage range and is just a big hitter if you run into him

7. Olsen - A slow OL who is great if he is told to block a slow DE but gets burned at the college level by speed - does not have size, speed or athleticism to be anything but a backup. A bad pick.

8. Kenny McKinley - a quick-twitch small WR that is not tough (ground control to Major Tom) do we not need help on DL.

MORE TRADING AWAY OF DRAFT PICKS TO MOVE UP 3 spots - UGGGH

9. Tom Brandstater - at this stage of the draft 6th round a solid gamble on a QB with all the physical tools just worried about the head and decision making but worth a 6th round pick! Good Job

10. Blake Schlueter - a good practic squad player who can play Guard or Center. He is small at 6'2" and 286 lbs but give him a year to put on weight and weight and muscle and see how he does next year as a backup - a good pickup on a guy who may not make roster but we will see (I thought he would take Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech here or Brian Hoyer, QB, Michigan St. just for the competition or Pierre Walters, DE, Eastern Illinois
but he chose not to. Again what do I know?

At end of day we took a RB we did not need, a DE that is a tweener between a OLB or DE in a 3-4 Defense. We then gave away our 1st round pick in the 2010 draft (incidentially which will be deep at QB) to get a part time defensive player? Then we picked up a good safety which is not a necessity and a blocking TE to back up our current blocking TE Daniel Graham?

But what do I know?

Jensen
04-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I really liked the Jets, Packers, Eagles, Cardinals, and Giants drafts. All of those teams had great value and picked up players that really fit their needs. Jets got their franchise QB without giving up too much. The Packers got Raji to be their NT of the future and got Matthews at the end of the first. I also liked the T.J. Lang pick. Eagles had great value with all of their picks in Maclin, McCoy, Ingram, and Harris specifically. I really liked the Cardinals draft, but I'm probably being a bit of a homer here. Wells was a great value pick and fills a need, Brown should give the Cards a nice pass rush, and I really like the pick of Rashad Johnson in the 3rd. Johnson is a project at OG and Toler could be something special. Giants had a great draft getting Nicks to strengthen their WR corps and I thought Beatty was great value at #60 overall. I'm not a big fan of Ramses Barden, but I did like the Beckum and Andre Brown picks.

I didn't really like the Raiders, Cowboys, Browns, Dolphins, or Broncos draft. They each had their share of reaches IMO. The Browns' trade was horrible, Oakland reached high for DHB and Michael Mitchell, and I didn't really like the Broncos draft since they didn't get much help for the front 7 in the 3-4 defense and they traded away their 1st next year for Alphonso Smith in the 2nd round. Dolphins I thought reached for Pat White and Patrick Turner and I didn't like the Brian Hartline pick too much. Cowboys just didn't seem to me like they did much with their later picks. None of their picks really stood out to me, but I could be completely wrong there.

pr0d1gy
04-28-2009, 12:22 AM
I hear ya M, it makes fans very upset when their team drafts 299 (read 285 max) pound D linemen after being at the bottom of the league in run D. I'm sure the Bucs fans hated the Sapp pick, and it took Booger McFarland to keep that line from getting gashed....or insert another huge run stuffer here.

These teams and everyone talk about how bad it is to be big and how these huge guys take plays off, but it is a necessary evil if you want to stop the physical running game that dominates the NFL playoffs every year. As an Atlanta fan, I was upset with the Jerry pick, but it could be a covering our butts if we cannot re-sign John Babs when is contract is up. He is generating a lot of interest, trust me, so in retrospect it makes more sense on our end than most.

nepg
04-28-2009, 07:27 AM
The Giants clearly had the best draft. I liked Green Bay's draft as well.
Chicago and Dallas had amazing drafts for not having early picks.

Lions and Vikings get automatic F's for passing on Oher. Bengals get an F for following the same trend they've been rolling with for the past however many years (6? 7?)... Everyone always praises their drafts, but they're just as bad as Oakland at failing to learn from their mistakes.

People glow over the Cardinals for taking Wells...we knew a RB would be there... The problem is that they don't have a great need at RB, they could have addressed that later or in FA. They did have a huge need at LT (their biggest need, by far). As soon as they saw Oher slip past the Lions, they should have been all over the phones trying to get him. Then they just didn't address the need at all the rest of the draft. F.

abaddon41_80
04-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Best, in no particular order,

Eagles
49ers
Cardinals
Seahawks
Bears
Rams
Bengals

The NFC West really cleaned up this year.

DeepThreat
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Best in no order:

Eagles
Packers
Giants
Jets
Browns

Losers:
Bengals
Raiders
Bills

I know people really like the Bengals draft, but they went high risk, high reward and are in no position to do so. They have too many holes to be taking potential busts like that. The Bills traded their franchise left tackle, did nothing to replace him, and drafted Maybin over Orakpo.

People don't like the Browns' draft, but we addressed a lot of holes. We needed a center very badly and we got a straight up stud there. We needed a safety so we traded for Abram Elam. We needed a backup quarterback and got Ratliff, we needed d-line depth and got Kenyon Coleman. We needed wide outs and we got Brian Robiskie, who can immediatly contribute, and Mohamed Massaquoi who has a lot of potential. I think David Veikune has a lot of potenial and Coye Francies and James Davis were steals in the 6th.

I also liked the Dolphins draft. They now have a great secondary and got Pat White who is perfect for their wildcat.

toddmlazarchick
04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Giants had a great draft IMO

IndyColtScout
04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Like every year, the Colts did not have a flashy draft. However, two to three years from now our grade will probably go from C+ to B+.

Mr. Stiller
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I love the Steelers draft.

I think it's a draft that doesn't look sexy, but every one of those guys can make a legit impact on this team.

I give it a B+ For now until I see how those guys progress.

I love a couple of our UDFA's too... Ramon Foster mostly but I was a huge fan of Tyler Grisham.. Wes Welker clone.

And I'm ecstatic to see them stop using the ZBS and focus towards a more power oriented spread offense style line.

nepg
04-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I really like the Steelers' draft too. This year was just the same ol' ****. Steelers, Giants, Packers, Colts, Parcells, and Patriots cleaning house. Raiders & Bengals failing to evolve. Redskins not valuing the draft at all.

Sniper
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Steelers, Giants, Packers, Colts, Parcells, and Patriots cleaning house.

http://bigdawgrants.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/philadelphia-eagles-logo.jpg

Babylon
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
im not a big fan of my patriots and their draft right now

I hear ya there. On the surface it looks ok and there are probably a half dozen eventual starters down the road but no real impact. To have 6 of the top 100 picks and then to have your 1st choice be #34 tells me they got caught flatfooted. To me the biggesty weakness last year and a half has been their front 7 and except for Ron Brace adding some depth it's still a weakness.

I'm back from wine country by the way. I know everyone has missed my input
:)

SeanTaylorRIP
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Also I thought it was stupid for the Patriots to trade their best corner and impact returner Ellis Hobbs for OG Rich Ohrnberger who probably would have fallen to one of their 5th round picks. Patriots get a pass though because they are the Patriots.

bengalbuck
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Best in no order:

Eagles
Packers
Giants
Jets
Browns

Losers:
Bengals
Raiders
Bills

I know people really like the Bengals draft, but they went high risk, high reward and are in no position to do so. They have too many holes to be taking potential busts like that. The Bills traded their franchise left tackle, did nothing to replace him, and drafted Maybin over Orakpo.

People don't like the Browns' draft, but we addressed a lot of holes. We needed a center very badly and we got a straight up stud there. We needed a safety so we traded for Abram Elam. We needed a backup quarterback and got Ratliff, we needed d-line depth and got Kenyon Coleman. We needed wide outs and we got Brian Robiskie, who can immediatly contribute, and Mohamed Massaquoi who has a lot of potential. I think David Veikune has a lot of potenial and Coye Francies and James Davis were steals in the 6th.

I also liked the Dolphins draft. They now have a great secondary and got Pat White who is perfect for their wildcat.

I do think the Browns did pretty well and had one of the safest drafts around. Not a lot of upside with their guys but very safe.

I don't get your criticism of the Bengals draft. How exactly was it super risky?

If you look at their top 3 picks, even if they are "busts" they are still likely to be productive NFL players. If Andre Smith doesn't stay in good enough shape to play LT, put him at RT or RG and he's still damn good. He's never been in trouble legally, drugs or anything so he's going to be an NFLer for a long time. Same with Michael Johnson in the 3rd. If he never develops the motor or run stopping ability to be an every down player, only play him on 3rd down as a pass rusher. Worst case, he gets you 5-8 sacks a year as a part-time player. Not bad for a 3rd rounder. With Maualuga, I don't really see the risk in that. He may not be a Pro Bowler, but he is going to start for us for a long time no matter what.

nyqua
04-28-2009, 04:19 PM
The Jets got no love with a top QB and a heavy duty RB?

Is it because it's only two significant picks?

I would have liked it more if they added some depth. Those picks were good though.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I didn't think running back was that urgent of a need to have to trade up that much to get him especially with the great running backs who were still available in the 5th round and later. Basically Mark Sanchez makes the Jets draft class a boom or bust, you can't really put the Jets on a best overall draft list when there is so little depth.

tEk
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
I hear ya there. On the surface it looks ok and there are probably a half dozen eventual starters down the road but no real impact. To have 6 of the top 100 picks and then to have your 1st choice be #34 tells me they got caught flatfooted. To me the biggesty weakness last year and a half has been their front 7 and except for Ron Brace adding some depth it's still a weakness.

I'm back from wine country by the way. I know everyone has missed my input
:)
temecula...? right be me eh

Babylon
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
I do think the Browns did pretty well and had one of the safest drafts around. Not a lot of upside with their guys but very safe.

I don't get your criticism of the Bengals draft. How exactly was it super risky?

If you look at their top 3 picks, even if they are "busts" they are still likely to be productive NFL players. If Andre Smith doesn't stay in good enough shape to play LT, put him at RT or RG and he's still damn good. He's never been in trouble legally, drugs or anything so he's going to be an NFLer for a long time. Same with Michael Johnson in the 3rd. If he never develops the motor or run stopping ability to be an every down player, only play him on 3rd down as a pass rusher. Worst case, he gets you 5-8 sacks a year as a part-time player. Not bad for a 3rd rounder. With Maualuga, I don't really see the risk in that. He may not be a Pro Bowler, but he is going to start for us for a long time no matter what.

The Bengals picks are interesting, you have 4 guys (off the top of my head) who were all considered 1st rounders at one time or another and they may come in hungry. Rey Rey and Johnson can really help that D and Smith and Coffman are instant upgrades over anything they have at their positions. This will take some coaching to get all these guys on board going forward but they could have been the winners of this draft, hands down.

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
People dislike the Bengals and Bills drafts but I think both teams really helped themselves and have a good shot at least contending for a wild card spot, and in the case of the bills I really like their chances. I'm big michael Johnson hater so I don't like that pick but in the third his potential makes it worth it, I guess, and Scott is a character concern, but since he was a sixth round pick who cares. Rey Rey and Andre Smith won't bust, their immaturity could prevent them from maximizing their potential, but they won't bust since both bust their asses and love playing ball.

yeah the bills didn't replace Peters, but Walker was the far better tackle last year and their biggest OL problems where inside. I think Wood and Levitre will be huge for them after how bad their interior OL has been the past few years. I don't mind maybin over Rak even though I preferred rak, both don't have any pass rushing moves and get by with their athletic ability, Maybin's got the better first step so depending on what you like he could have better upside. Byrd should help that secondary if he finally gives them a safety to play next to Whitner and their day two picks where good depth guys.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-28-2009, 04:58 PM
The thing is every team "helped themselves" some just more than others. For example hate on the Raiders draft all you want but you can't say that adding DHB and Murphy hasn't made their vertical passing game more dangerous.

Sniper
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
The thing is every team "helped themselves" some just more than others. For example hate on the Raiders draft all you want but you can't say that adding DHB and Murphy hasn't made their vertical passing game more dangerous.

It didn't. A vertical passing game can't develop without good OL blocking, which the Raiders don't have and didn't address.

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Sure but the Bills and Bengals did a good job strengthening their weaknesses. Bengals helped their OL, run D and got another pass rusher, Bills turned their interior OL into a strength while boosting their pass rush and secondary. I like their drafts a lot. We'll see how all those late rounders work out but right now I'm saying they had much better than average drafts.

shady00
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8ixNob5bk

Byrd430
04-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Really really loved the Eagles draft...by far the winners imo.

Afterwards, I like the Patriots, Giants, Titans, and Bengals in that order. Also felt like the Niners, Jets, and Seahawks should garner some attention as well. Felt like all these teams did a nice job, and really can't call anyone a loser (besides the Broncos and the Raiders, of course ;) )

SubNoize
04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
It didn't. A vertical passing game can't develop without good OL blocking, which the Raiders don't have and didn't address.

They addressed the O-Line in FA, I'm pretty confident in saying that Khalif Barnes is better than Kwame Harris, and Marcus Johnson and Erik Pears are serviceable depth, better than Cornell Green. They traded for Satele and resigned Carlisle, pretty sure they adressed the line.

Sniper
04-28-2009, 11:36 PM
They addressed the O-Line in FA, I'm pretty confident in saying that Khalif Barnes is better than Kwame Harris, and Marcus Johnson and Erik Pears are serviceable depth, better than Cornell Green. They traded for Satele and resigned Carlisle, pretty sure they adressed the line.

I said good OL blocking, not mediocre OL blocking. Yeah, sure, that's addressing the lines. Philadelphia had a much better offensive line than the Raiders and still spent over $100 million this off-season to shore up the line. That's addressing the O-line. The Raiders barely addressed the line, and certainly not enough to justify taking Troy Williamson with the 7th overall pick.

Let's see...Eugene Monroe or Troy Williamson? Yeesh, tough call.

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Meh, I think Satele and Barnes were great pick ups. They think mario henderson is a legit starting caliber LT, do I agree no, but that's what cable believes so with robert gallery the only hole is at RG where they have enough competition to get someone who'll play well enough. If Mario Henderson proves to be legit the raiders have the makings of very good OL.

If I were Al Davis I would've grabbed Eugene Monroe and moved up into the late first for Britt/Nicks, but hey they put their money on Henderson, if that bet pays off then they made the right move not addressing the OL with bigger concerns. I don't even have that much of a problem with them grabbing DHB, I have a problem with them grabbing DHB at number 7 over Michael Crabtree, but that's another matter.