PDA

View Full Version : UDFA?? Who should we sign...

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I think there are some steals out there for us.. on both sides of the ball.. I would love to see us sign

Darry Beckwith LB LSU
Edwin Williams C UMD
Greg Orton WR Purdue
Aaron Kelly WR Clemson
Frantz Joeseph LB Florida Atlantic

ccB
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
We signed QB Drew Willy from Buffalo already. I am on board to sign ILB Frantz Joseph (like the other 80% of the forum)

ChefMike
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Beckwith would be a steal.. he hits like a truck.. and some had us taking him in the 2nd rd not to long ago..

America
04-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Beckwith is in SD now I think. We got Gano, which is all I really care about. He could easily make a big impact.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Williams and Kelly are already signed elsewhere I know for a fact.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Gano!!!!!!!

lordquas
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
so far we've signed..
QB Drew Willy (Buffalo)
DT Will Johnson (Michigan)
OL Greg Ryan (Western Kentucky)
DE Willie VanDeSteeg (Minnesota)
WR Eron Riley (Duke)
OT Cameron Goldberg (Duke)
LB Dannell Ellerbe (Georgia)
K Graham Gano (FSU)

I like Eron Riley as that receiver we needed to get.
He's 6'3 205, so he's got great size..
He ran under a 4.40 40, so he's got great speed..
If he can learn to be more consistent, he'll be a nice wideout.

Im real high on Demetrius Williams though..
he's got the skills, he's just always hurt.

WR1- Mason, D Williams, Eron Riley
WR2- Clayton, Figurs, Harper, Maxwell

Im really looking for Harper, or Riley to emerge in the preseason so we have a solid group of receivers.
Mason+ Clayton do work
Demetrius is good, but has to stay healthy
Figurs is a burner, who needs to get better at being a WR.
Harper n Riley have all the skills, but need to put it all together

America
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't expect the undrafted guys to contribute at all ever. We really do need to add top talent soon.

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 03:06 PM
i love the Ellerbe pick up i remember before the draft I was hoping for him.

I also love the Gano pick up and the Riley pick up, his physical tools are very nice

ironman4579
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
You guys seem to like the Michigan boys lately (Will Johnson). I doubt he makes your roster, but his best position actually should be 3-4 DE, so you never know. He's incredibly strong, but other than that, I'm not sure that he offers much.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Ellerbe and Gano are my favorites. I doubt many of those guys make the team. I do like what lordquas said about that WR from Duke. Great size and speed, but he went to Duke and I have never seen him play so I can't say much.

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Here's a current list of who we have signed that I've been keeping on another site:

Signed:

Drew Willy - QB

http://bal.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=9&c=2&cid=860402&nid=4188941&fhn=1

Will Johnson - DL

http://www.kffl.com/player/21037/nfl

Greg Ryan - OL
Willie VanDeSteeg - DE
Graham Gano - K

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html

Eron Riley - WR

http://www.wsav.com/sav/sports/local/article/savannahs_riley_signs_with_baltimore_ravens/11706/

Cameron Goldberg - OL
Dannell Ellerbe - LB

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html

Jason Cook - FB

Isaiah Williams - WR

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

David Jones - DB

ccB
04-27-2009, 11:26 PM
First off......Isaiah Williams! TERPSSSSSSS BABY!!!!!!!

I like a few of the guys we've snatched so far, specifically Eron Riley and Dannell Ellerbe. I think either of these guys could potentially make the team. I think Eron Riley has a ton of untapped potential, he's got prototypical size, and top notch athleticism, if he can improve his hands he could be a diamond in the rough pick up. Hey if Marques Colston came from a 7th round pick, we could get a solid UDFA reciever right? Ellerbe regressed last year and that is the difference maker between him going undrafted this year instead of getting drafted but I believe the potential is there, I think he'd be a good fit on our defense, and could be that next great late round LB for the Ravens. In order for these guys to make the team I'd imagine, Riley would have to beat out Justin Harper/Yamon Figurs, and for Ellerbe he'd have to beat out Prescott Burgess.

Here's a video of Eron Riley:
5dNr0XBIADE

The Legend
04-28-2009, 05:09 AM
Gano!!!!!!!

im glad we got a strong legged field goal kicker.

lordquas
04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
I think signing Marvin Harrison to a 2 year deal would be great.
Hes an experienced, and would help Flaccos progress immensely.
And by the time his contract is up, maybe Demetrius Williams and/or Eron Riley/ Justin Harper will emerge into a solid threat.

I want Dez Bryant next year

coordinator0
04-28-2009, 08:27 AM
I think signing Marvin Harrison to a 2 year deal would be great.
Hes an experienced, and would help Flaccos progress immensely.
And by the time his contract is up, maybe Demetrius Williams and/or Eron Riley/ Justin Harper will emerge into a solid threat.

I want Dez Bryant next year

Hopefully were not is a position to get him lol.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow, that tape of Eron was pretty nice. I wonder if he can use that talent and adjust to the pros. Remember, he played at Duke, so the competion wasn't as hard. I still like the pickup though. If the coaches can work with him, he'd be great with his combination of height and speed. As for Ellerbe, I'm suprised he wasn't drafted, but I think he'll make the roster as well. He'd be a great young linebacker to add to a group of guys like Burgess, McClain, Gooden, and Phillips. He'd probably play alot of special teams, but since Gooden has some injury concerns, we could see Ellerbe contend for a starting job. Out of all the UDFA we signed I think these guys will make the team.
Graham Gano
Eron Riley
Dannell Ellerbe

coordinator0
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Add Jason Cook the FB to the list. He's a great replacement for Neal, and will allow us to run the jumbo again.

Ravens1991
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
ya good point. I like that addition as well.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Add Jason Cook the FB to the list. He's a great replacement for Neal, and will allow us to run the jumbo again.

So, if he makes the team, are we officially moving McClain(Le'Ron) to runningback? That means we got McGahee, Rice and McClain at RB and Jason Cook at FB. I'd rather have - McGahee, Rice and Peerman at RB and McClain at FB. Honestly, the first one is probably better for the November/Demcember strecth but the 2nd one is more of a homerun threat backfield. McGahee, the feature back, Rice; the chance of pace, and Peerman; the homerun threat. I see it as, if Cook makes the roster, Peerman doesn't. And if Peerman makes it, Cook doesn't and we keep McClain at FB. I wonder how this will play out.

coordinator0
04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
So, if he makes the team, are we officially moving McClain(Le'Ron) to runningback? That means we got McGahee, Rice and McClain at RB and Jason Cook at FB. I'd rather have - McGahee, Rice and Peerman at RB and McClain at FB. Honestly, the first one is probably better for the November/Demcember strecth but the 2nd one is more of a homerun threat backfield. McGahee, the feature back, Rice; the chance of pace, and Peerman; the homerun threat. I see it as, if Cook makes the roster, Peerman doesn't. And if Peerman makes it, Cook doesn't and we keep McClain at FB. I wonder how this will play out.

No, LeRon would continue to play both as he did last year. I can't see us keeping LeRon primarily as a FB anymore after the staff was able to use his so well last year. We kept 2 FB's on the roster last year, why not again this year? I think Parmele and Peerman will battle it out for the 3rd RB spot and we keep 5 RB/FB's like we did last year.

Ravens1991
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM
at 4:48 in Riley highlight film he laid someone out on a PR. I love to see that attitude in a WR. Hopefully he can turn out good.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/615455.html

Riley had a torn ligament in his thumb, that could have affected his hands.

coordinator0
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/615455.html

Riley had a torn ligament in his thumb, that could have affected his hands.

That definitely could have affected his ability to catch. The thumb is almost w/o a doubt the most important part of your hand when it comes to catching.

lordquas
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
We need to go after Phillip Hunt immediately.
Hes undersized, 6'1 250, but hes a great passrusher and could make the team on special teams. Almost like Jameel McClain.

coordinator0
04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
We need to go after Phillip Hunt immediately.
Hes undersized, 6'1 250, but hes a great passrusher and could make the team on special teams. Almost like Jameel McClain.

Where would he make the roster? Johnson, McClain, Barnes, Suggs, and Kruger (for now while he is still bulking up) will all be on our roster for OLB. I could see Barnes getting cut, but I highly doubt it especially if we are moving more towards a 4-3.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I think if we go 4-3 full time(which is all speculation at this point) Barnes would be outta here. He is to small for 4-3 DE and he hasnt developed any coverage skills. But I think we will keep Barnes around next year

coordinator0
04-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I think if we go 4-3 full time(which is all speculation at this point) Barnes would be outta here. He is to small for 4-3 DE and he hasnt developed any coverage skills. But I think we will keep Barnes around next year

I don't think we're going to a full time 4-3, we will still have a hybrid scheme. Just more 4-3 sets than 3-4 sets in what we're doing now. But, we really wouldn't have AN LB's w/ coverage skills. Maybe Gooden, but none of Lewis, Barnes, JJ, etc. are good in pass coverage, not just Barnes alone.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Ray is pretty decent in pass coverage, Gooden is to. But that is it basically.

coordinator0
04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Ray is pretty decent in pass coverage, Gooden is to. But that is it basically.

Ray's good in pass coverage from a 3-4 set, where he doesn't have as much ground to cover. I think he would really suffer trying to cover the field in a 4-3.

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
possibly with his age now IDK though. I know back in the day he was great in coverage in a 4-3

ChefMike
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Where have all of you read we are going to a 4-3? We are the Kings of the 3-4 Hybrid that everyone really wants to run and can't because they don't have the personnel or the know how yet...

Ravens1991
04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
i haven't read anything coordinator said he thinks we are going 4-3.

coordinator0
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I just think it makes sense since we have Harbaugh as our HC, Mattison as our DC (who's never ran a 3-4), and we drafted Kruger who doesn't seem like the type to be a 3-4 end (which it is said he will be moved to DE).

coordinator0
05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2009/05/Ravens_Add_Free_Agents.aspx

There's the final list of UDFA's we signed. 13 in all. I think Cook and Gano have the best shots at making the team.

ccB
05-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I just think it makes sense since we have Harbaugh as our HC, Mattison as our DC (who's never ran a 3-4), and we drafted Kruger who doesn't seem like the type to be a 3-4 end (which it is said he will be moved to DE).

We are running the same base defense we did last year (with a few modifications) , I posted a link to a Jon Harbaugh interview in another thread where he said this, he also said that we would have been making the same modifications to the D if Rex was here.

coordinator0
05-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Which UDFA do you think have the best chance of making the the team this year? Here are the guys that have a chance:

Jason Cook - FB
Graham Gano - K
William VanDeSteeg - DE/LB
Danell Ellerbe - LB
Will Johnson - DL
Eron Riley - WR
Isaiah Williams - WR
David Jones - DB
K.J. Gerard - DB
Luis Vasquez - DE/LB
Greg Ryan - OL
Drew Willy - QB

I think the top 3 guys I listed have the best chances of making the team.

I'm really not sure about the FB situation since reports have come out that we want to use McClain more as a primary FB and not a RB, but I can't see us not using him in short yardage/goal-line situations. Maybe McGahee comes back totally healthy and proves that he can carry most of the load along with Rice therefore lessening the need of another FB, but I doubt it. It seems like he will be gone as soon as getting rid of him doesn't have so much of an impact against our cap so maybe our smart FO will prepare for the future yet again and keep Cook as a good blocking FB. For these reasons above I think Jason Cook will make the team.

With Jameel McClain moving to ILB it leaves our depth at DE/OLB a little thin. In fact, I only count 3 guys on the current roster (Suggs, Johnson, and Barnes) that can play OLB in our 3-4 fronts (not counting Kruger who I think the coaching staff will focus him on playing the D-Line). Of those 3 only two are any sort of pass-rushers and (Barnes, Suggs) and Barnes is really inconsistent. Now we also signed another UDFA DE/OLB but I think VanDeSteeg is a lot better than him. I really like this guys and i think he has a great shot at making the roster.

Now for Gano, I think it all depends on if he can beat out Hauschka for the kicking job. If he can there's no doubt that he will make the roster and he will make an impact on this team next year. If he can't I don't think he will make the team and i don't think we will keep him for kickoff duties because Steven has shown he can do that. This one's up in the air but I think he has a better chance at making the roster than any of the other 9 guys.

So, what do you think?

jkpigskin
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
i feel that we will keep 2 FB's due to the fact that mcClain could get hurt due to his carries. and i have no doubt that we will only have 1 kicker on roster. one reason i think we let stove diddy walk was the fact that we had to have another roster spot for long FGs and kick offs

Ravens1991
05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
we can still put McClain at OLB, because lets be real here he probably wont beat out Gooden.

coordinator0
05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
we can still put McClain at OLB, because lets be real here he probably wont beat out Gooden.

True, but he's still not a great rusher off of the edge and that also only leaves us with 4 DE/OLBs. From what I've seen/heard from Mattison he likes to rotate his players a lot.

jkpigskin
05-14-2009, 09:59 PM
i see mcclain playing more of a pass coverage type OLB like Jarrett Johnson and unlike Suggs. Not to say that suggs doesnt drop back. But mcclain will find his niche as an OLB who does everything well besides pass rushing