PDA

View Full Version : SARF Flu

Pages : [1] 2

Mr. Goosemahn
04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
So things have gotten pretty ugly in Mexico. The swine flu, which originally was a small virus in Mexico City, has now spread all across the country, had taken 81 lives (minimum), has infected around 1,500, and none of these diagnosed people has been cured.

The virus has also been found in Texas, California, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, and Israel, and has claimed lives in San Diego, Texas, and around five cities in Mexico.

Here's a map that is updated every couple of minutes, and it shows the locations of people diagnosed with the virus: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=39.548397,-104.873385&spn=62.487058,88.330078&z=4

The exact nature of the virus has yet to be identified, and a cure has yet to be created. The World Health Organization has stated that the influenza will be impossible to contain.

In my hometown of San Pedro (right beside Monterrey in northern Mexico), schools have been shut down until further notice. The government has shut down businesses such as discos and cinemas. We can't go to theaters to watch plays. Elections are coming up in July and the majority of political events have been canceled. No crowds are allowed to attend sport events. Those who have tickets get a full refund. Even churches have been closed down and entrance is prohibited by the government.

A woman from my hometown was diagnosed with the virus, and in less than a week she passed away. In a span of five hours, ten new cases appeared, and all show the same symptoms.

I was wondering if any of you know something about the virus, like scientifically. I've tried to look into it, but can't seem to find a lot. The border with the US is supposedly going to close in less than a week, so were practically stranded here. Is anybody here studying to become a doctor or something? I'm searching for medications and treatment for any type of influenza, to use it as precaution. I've looked for things in forums and stuff, by I only find complicated medical lingo that I can't comprehend. The way the disease spreads has not been found out yet, but researchers believe it could be airborne. That's why I want to know if there's some kind of shot or something that I could take.

I really need some help with this. I know it might sound kind of desperate, but things are worsening as each hour goes by and both the government and scientists are keeping everybody in the dark. No progress has been made, and to top things off the World Health Organization recently stated that containing the virus is almost impossible. They have loaned Mexico $200 million dollars to try and find a cure, but that usually takes time. For now, people are using little masks to cover their faces and many people carry anti-bacterial soap.

And as a suggestion to anyone who was thinking of coming to Mexico, don't. This is bound to get worse and you could be seriously affected. Take my word for it, go to some other nice place that's swine flu - free.

So does anyone know anything that might be useful? I'd sincerely appreciate the help.

Brent
04-27-2009, 01:43 AM
This is just another media hyped ******** story. Remember Avian flu? SARS? [Insert random outbreak scare]?

You know what, I hope it's real. As a species we could use a bottle-necking event and this is just what's called for.

Caddy
04-27-2009, 01:48 AM
I hope I don't get it...

TitanHope
04-27-2009, 01:49 AM
So things have gotten pretty ugly in Mexico...

In more ways than one, my friend.

To be serious, if someone in your area was diagnosed with it, then you should cook and prepare your own meals, and more importantly eat healthy. Premedicating yourself probably wouldn't help prevent it, as apparently it's not responding to antibiodics. I believe Swine Flu is a combination of a few flu strains, but perhaps get a regular flu shot could be be beneficial.

Also, keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer handy as well as wash your hands.

TitanHope
04-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Also, as with all viruses, young children and the elderly are most vulnerable. Or if you have a weak immune system, for whatever reason. So if you're a completely healthy young adult, you have a lesser chance of dying from a virus.

BTW, did anyone choose "Super Disease" in VoodooMonkey's Apocalypse poll? :D

Crickett
04-27-2009, 01:56 AM
To be serious, if someone in your area was diagnosed with it, then you should cook and prepare your own meals, and more importantly eat healthy. Premedicating yourself probably wouldn't help prevent it, as apparently it's not responding to antibiodics. I believe Swine Flu is a combination of a few flu strains, but perhaps get a regular flu shot could be be beneficial.

I looked on that google map and someone in my area has been diagnosed with it. Uh oh. :(

TitanHope
04-27-2009, 02:10 AM
The Google map cases aren't all confirmed cases. Just cases where the patients exhibited the symptoms. If a person was diagnosed in your area, Crickett, it'd probably be on your local news stations as breaking news and top story.

Most of the cases in the US are in states along the Mexican border, and in people who just returned from a trip to Mexico.

I don't think this is an epidemic on a world-wide scale, but it is very serious for Mexican citizens such as Goosemahn.

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 02:12 AM
This is just another media hyped ******** story. Remember Avian flu? SARS? [Insert random outbreak scare]?

You know what, I hope it's real. As a species we could use a bottle-necking event and this is just what's called for.

I agree. If 99 % of people died I would start my own country on the olympic peninsula and live in the forest.

Im sick right now though, I hope its not it.

TitanHope
04-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Vitamin C is a sick person's best friend, so if you can't get your hands on a basic antibiotic, Vit C and other supplements to help the immune system are excellent.

Cicero
04-27-2009, 02:37 AM
I agree. If 99 % of people died I would start my own country on the olympic peninsula and live in the forest.

Move out to Forks, you'll be fine haha.

fenikz
04-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Also, as with all viruses, young children and the elderly are most vulnerable. Or if you have a weak immune system, for whatever reason. So if you're a completely healthy young adult, you have a lesser chance of dying from a virus.

BTW, did anyone choose "Super Disease" in VoodooMonkey's Apocalypse poll? :D

yes what do i win?

Crickett
04-27-2009, 03:26 AM
The Google map cases aren't all confirmed cases. Just cases where the patients exhibited the symptoms. If a person was diagnosed in your area, Crickett, it'd probably be on your local news stations as breaking news and top story.

http://wcbstv.com/health/swine.flu.nyc.2.994071.html

Paranoidmoonduck
04-27-2009, 03:41 AM

Actually, if you've been paying attention to how the Swine Flu has been manifesting itself, this is the opposite of the truth. This virus isn't, in itself, all that dangerous. It is, however, triggering an auto-immune response which is trashing people's lungs and killing them. Most of the people who are dying are young adult's who's immune systems are strong enough to have a violent reaction to the virus.

Everyone who's potentially at risk should be careful. Public transportation is a bad idea. Eating out a lot is a bad idea. Be smart. Most of the people on this site fall into the category of people who are at most risk. Good luck out there.

Brothgar
04-27-2009, 03:41 AM

In more ways than one, my friend.

If a doctor prescribes antibiotics for a viral infection they should have their licenses revoked. You can't fight a viral infection with a drug meant for bacteria. Brent, bottle necking is never good for a species it tends to improve chances for extinction.

TitanHope
04-27-2009, 05:04 AM
If a doctor prescribes antibiotics for a viral infection they should have their licenses revoked. You can't fight a viral infection with a drug meant for bacteria.

You're absolutely right. Dumb moment on my part.

Actually, if you've been paying attention to how the Swine Flu has been manifesting itself, this is the opposite of the truth. This virus isn't, in itself, all that dangerous. It is, however, triggering an auto-immune response which is trashing people's lungs and killing them. Most of the people who are dying are young adult's who's immune systems are strong enough to have a violent reaction to the virus.

Everyone who's potentially at risk should be careful. Public transportation is a bad idea. Eating out a lot is a bad idea. Be smart. Most of the people on this site fall into the category of people who are at most risk. Good luck out there.

I haven't been keeping up with it at all.

CJSchneider
04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm telling these guys to "Bring it on"

http://2012connection.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/apocalypse-horsemen.jpg

tjsunstein
04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Vitamin C is a sick person's best friend, so if you can't get your hands on a basic antibiotic, Vit C and other supplements to help the immune system are excellent.

This is a theory not back by any scientific evidence by the way. Anyone can put something on a supplement bottle since there is no supervision of it.

CashmoneyDrew
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
**** I'm screwed. I eat out A LOT. Guess I had to learn to use this Foreman grill sometime.

tjsunstein
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Is it ignorant of me to say I'm not scared? I did say I would never have mono a while back and did come up with that. Time will tell.

Brent
04-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Brent, bottle necking is never good for a species it tends to improve chances for extinction.
I'm aware. Not like we're doing this place a whole lot of good any way.

Addict
04-27-2009, 11:28 AM
damn, we better get that black hole machine in Switzerland going ASAP, because global pandemic isn't half as sexy as getting consumed by a black hole we accidentally created ourselves.

Shahin
04-27-2009, 12:10 PM

what a bitchass thing to say.

I'm aware. Not like we're doing this place a whole lot of good any way.

another bitchass thing to say.

damn, we better get that black hole machine in Switzerland going ASAP, because global pandemic isn't half as sexy as getting consumed by a black hole we accidentally created ourselves.

there we go.

Philliez01
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Save Susan Boyle.

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Brent, bottle necking is never good for a species it tends to improve chances for extinction.

Exceeding the environments carrying capacity seems to be a lot worse..

MetSox17
04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm screwed. I live close to Mexico. Death toll is at 100+ already, apparently there was two confirmed cases at a HS in Texas today.

Brent
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
what a bitchass thing to say.
By all means, enlighten me as to why that is.

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Is it the same severity as a normal flu or is it a super flu?

Crickett
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Is it the same severity as a normal flu or is it a super flu?

Considering the number of fatalities, I'm guessing super flu.

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I feel like if it was a regular flu I would dominate, but super flus are scary.

Maybe only sickly old people are dying from it like the regular flu.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I feel like if it was a regular flu I would dominate, but super flus are scary.

Yeah, it's a super flu. Most people infected are around 20 years of age, give or take. The girl from my city who died was 23 or 24, and out of the ten cases that popped up yesterday, 8 were under 30.

Mr. Hero
04-27-2009, 03:51 PM
If a doctor prescribes antibiotics for a viral infection they should have their licenses revoked. You can't fight a viral infection with a drug meant for bacteria. Brent, bottle necking is never good for a species it tends to improve chances for extinction.

I think a good extinction scare might just get people past all the fear mongering in the media over nothing.

Yeah but we're not even close to that yet.

Brent
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah but we're not even close to that yet.
All the estimates for Earth's human capacity are between 1 billion and 1 trillion. There are almost 7 billion people on Earth and it's growing each year.

andyjo672
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
All the estimates for Earth's human capacity are between 1 billion and 1 trillion. There are almost 7 billion people on Earth and it's growing each year.

Why do researchers even come out with stats or predictions like that. They give a 999 billion range for the capacity and call that legitimate? That seems dumb to me.

awfullyquiet
04-27-2009, 04:25 PM

falsehood. we're just too wasteful to see past it.

here's the thing though

is the flu curable?

no.

is it ever curable?

no.

when you go to the doctor, and they tell you you have the flu. what do you get prescribed?

bed rest. hot soup. take it easy. keep drinking fluids.

if you're a failure. you will die.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I think a good extinction scare might just get people past all the fear mongering in the media over nothing.

You're suggesting that fear will help people not be scared?

This is not the case. The virus is triggering a violent response from the immune system which is destroying people's lungs, but only from people who's immune systems are strong enough to do so (mostly young people).

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 04:43 PM
This is not the case. The virus is triggering a violent response from the immune system which is destroying people's lungs, but only from people who's immune systems are strong enough to do so (mostly young people).

So the cure for Swine Flu is AIDS. I find that funny.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
So the cure for Swine Flu is AIDS. I find that funny.

I could make some joke about how Africa has nothing to worry about, but that would probably be insensitive.

andyjo672
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I could make some joke about how Africa has nothing to worry about, but that would probably be insensitive.

That continents got so many other issues, this is the least of their worries.

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM

omg but I <3 my lungs

I dont wants the flu.

So it makes you destroy your own lungs? if you dont die will your lungs recover?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-27-2009, 04:57 PM
So it makes you destroy your own lungs? if you dont die will your lungs recover?

Well, you won't die if your lungs don't shut down. What shape they'll be in would depend.

Basically, a lot of people seem to be catching this and then fighting it off, but every so often someone's immune system responds too strongly and they die.

bored of education
04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I hope Libid doesn't get it in Heaven

BrownsTown
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
There's a case about a half hour from where I live....a kid. They're saying he's making a recovery, so maybe its not so bad. I hope it doesn't spread.

Shahin
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
By all means, enlighten me as to why that is.

Since we're acting smart; insinuating that human beings as a species could use a catastrophic event just because you're unhappy that we're killing the whales or drilling for oil is in fact a bitchass thing to say.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
So...lemme see if I get this this right. The virus forces your immune system to react, and it actually over-reacts. Then the lungs might react too much, and therefore collapse and you die?

Borat
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Can we export some of these victims to France?

tjsunstein
04-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Can we export some of these victims to France?

I was actually thinking about enlisting them and bringing the troops home.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-27-2009, 05:25 PM
So...lemme see if I get this this right. The virus forces your immune system to react, and it actually over-reacts. Then the lungs might react too much, and therefore collapse and you die?

Basically, yes.

the decider13
04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
None in Oklahoma yet, but I'm still worried about it cause it's getting close. For once, I hate being 18 with a strong immune system.

Wootylicous
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I am running up north :| im scared!

nobodyinparticular
04-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Are people in America seriously scared about this? Look at the occurrences and the fatalities. The only deaths from swine flu have been in Mexico. There is no reason to be worried.

Splat
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Are people in America seriously scared about this? Look at the occurrences and the fatalities. The only deaths from swine flu have been in Mexico. There is no reason to be worried.

"The virus has also been found in Texas, California, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, and Israel, and has claimed lives in San Diego, Texas, and around five cities in Mexico."

Philliez01
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm practically a germophobe. I have this huge fixation over worrying about the stomach virus annually. I have no idea why I have this reaction to just one of the most minor illnesses of them all but I remember the exact two dates I've had it within the last 12 years. So, I usually GoogleNews it to see what's around me, if there are any illnesses.

What I've concluded with my phobia of illness, is if someone is 30 minutes or whatever away from you...then you probably won't get it from them. Yes, I understand viruses spread from person to person but there's no guarantee you are going to get it or even know someone who will.

Just attempt to practice good hygiene, and even if it's airborne, just take the precautions. Eat healthy, wash your hands after bathroom use and before eating, don't share drinks, etc.

MetSox17
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
From the news i've been hearing, the cases in Mexico have been different than the ones here in America, in that those are attacking the respiratory system a lot worse.

Whatever that means, obviously the cases here aren't too much to worry about.

Crickett
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM

I wouldn't be except the incident in New York is literally a 15 minute walk from here. So I'm a bit concerned.

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
california gtf out of here, leave washington and oregon alone.

TitleTown088
04-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Meanwhile Air force one is buzzing downtown Manhattan...

TitleTown088
04-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm practically a germophobe. I have this huge fixation over worrying about the stomach virus annually. I have no idea why I have this reaction to just one of the most minor illnesses of them all but I remember the exact two dates I've had it within the last 12 years. So, I usually GoogleNews it to see what's around me, if there are any illnesses.

What I've concluded with my phobia of illness, is if someone is 30 minutes or whatever away from you...then you probably won't get it from them. Yes, I understand viruses spread from person to person but there's no guarantee you are going to get it or even know someone who will.

Just attempt to practice good hygiene, and even if it's airborne, just take the precautions. Eat healthy, wash your hands after bathroom use and before eating, don't share drinks, etc.
I think the Ironic thing is that germaphobes are going to be the ones who eventually cause or get whiped out by disease. Constantly washing your hands and taking medicine weakens your immune system. Obviously you don't want to be putting poopy on your hands or taking unnecessary risks around sick people, but overly clean hygiene is annoying. I really dislike idiots who take antibiotics for every little cough.

Philliez01
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I think the Ironic thing is take germaphobes are going to be the ones who eventually cause or get whipped out by disease. Constaly washing your hands and taing medicine weakens your immune system. Obviously you don't want to be putting poopy on your hands or taking unnecessary risks around sick people, but overly clean hygiene is annoying. I really dislike idiots who take antibiotics for every little cough.

Well I'm not the Howie Mandel type germophobe. I have hair and only wash my hands upon bathroom visits, before eating and when I come back from school.

I only take ibuprofen when hurt, I hate people who do waste it on like a minor headache. It's so *****.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 06:58 PM
My brilliant plan is to not worry about germs at all and not worry about my body. No meds for me ever. It has worked so far but I have a feeling my plan will crumble one day.

Splat
04-27-2009, 07:02 PM
My brilliant plan is to not worry about germs at all and not worry about my body. No meds for me ever. It has worked so far but I have a feeling my plan will crumble one day.

Way to man up...

CJSchneider
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
If I'm gonna be taken out be a pig...

It had better be Manbearpig.
http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1111/1111_manbearpig_and_kyle_no_red.jpg

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Video of the swine flu :(

It is crazy stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsb6A48WxY

the decider13
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM

I kinda do this too...even when I am sick, I don't like to take medicine. It will bite me in the ass eventually though.

steelersfan43
04-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I kinda do this too...even when I am sick, I don't like to take medicine. It will bite me in the ass eventually though.

I do it too. I never take anything even ibeuprofin (sp?)

I feel like I can handle anything conventional so I dont want to put that **** inside my body

Shahin
04-27-2009, 11:54 PM
california gtf out of here, leave washington and oregon alone.

goddamn washington and oregon, we got you up there to hold us down, HOLD US DOWN

PalmerToCJ
04-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I work at a pharmacy.

Looks like next time someone comes in there and coughs in my face without covering their mouth, I'll just punch them in the face and blame it on fear of Swine Flu. I'll probably yell a "In your face old lady" while pointing at them to really put emphasis on it all.

Brent
04-28-2009, 01:38 AM
when you go to the doctor, and they tell you you have the flu. what do you get prescribed?
anti-viral medications

Since we're acting smart; insinuating that human beings as a species could use a catastrophic event just because you're unhappy that we're killing the whales or drilling for oil is in fact a bitchass thing to say.
"I disagree with your opinions, thus, I will resort to name calling!"

nyqua
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
My old HS, St. Francis Prep in Fresh Meadows, Queens, NY, has over 200 cases of the swine flu but only 20 or so were confirmed. They closed school today and yesterday because of it.

Queens represent m i rite

brat316
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Goose you live in mexico.

Also who named it swine flu, sounds like it came from pigs.

steelersfan43
04-28-2009, 09:03 AM

lol it did.............

CJSchneider
04-28-2009, 09:41 AM

http://topbanana.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/confused.jpg

bored of education
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
when is the manbearpig flu gonna wipe us all out?

the decider13
04-28-2009, 09:45 AM
when is the manbearpig flu gonna wipe us all out?

If the manbearpig flu kills us all...who is right in the apocolypse poll? Manbearpig or global pandemic?

That would suck

TitleTown088
04-28-2009, 10:25 AM
lol it did.............

It came from a number of things, not just pigs. Chickens and humans to name a few, I heard the " experts" mention.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Yes.

and...

It did. Supposedly when they were imported from another country.

Shahin
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
"I disagree with your opinions, thus, I will resort to name calling!"

the only people that agree with that nutjob opinion is a bunch of no-good PETA fruitcakes.

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM

My thought is that a) fear-mongering in the media will be minimized after a legitimate scare and b) people will be less responsive to scare tactics after having dealt with something that was legitimately worth fearing. Not likely but I haven't been able to watch the news on TV in years, I think a real threat might halt the public panic agencies called Fox News and CNN.

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Nice inference. I had no idea that Brent disagreed with the killing of whales, seems pretty weird since we went baby seal clubbing together for spring break.

the only people that agree with that nutjob opinion is a bunch of no-good PETA fruitcakes.

Just an FYI but I tend to agree with Brent on this point and I think PETA are one of the most evil groups on this earth. Humans > Animals, yeah I said it.

CJSchneider
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Nice inference. I had no idea that Brent disagreed with the killing of whales, seems pretty weird since we went baby seal clubbing together for spring break.

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/042009/seal_clubbing.jpg

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/042009/seal_clubbing.jpg

Seal's scars come from when he was a baby, whiffle-bats FTW

Crickett
04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
A second school here has swine flu. Both of these schools are walking distance from here. I'm getting a bit more nervous about my own health.

The bigger problem is also walking distance from these two schools are....... four other schools.

Not including the fairly nearby St. Johns University.

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm thinking I should get and spread the virus that's up here. You know, freak peope the **** out until they realize that the strain up here is barely stronger than your common flu.

someone447
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Media fearmongering at its best, the developed world really doesn't have much to worry about. It has been responding to 2 different antivirals and they are working on a vaccine.

This isn't going to change my life in any way.

Hawk
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah sure buddy and Conficker is going to fry my computer...

sbh15
04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
I named my disease Swine Flu on Pandemic 2 and gave it typical flu symptoms. I've killed 1,543,691,311 in just over a month. This is obviously a perfect gauge for the seriousness of what is going on in the world now.

awfullyquiet
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah sure buddy and Conficker is going to fry my computer...

Y2K FTW.

I'm glad i live in the jungle. All i have to worry about is ebola and super aids.

CJSchneider
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Y2K FTW.

I'm glad i live in the jungle. All i have to worry about is ebola and super aids.

http://img132.exs.cx/img132/7617/superaids22mz.jpg

the decider13
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I named my disease Swine Flu on Pandemic 2 and gave it typical flu symptoms. I've killed 1,543,691,311 in just over a month. This is obviously a perfect gauge for the seriousness of what is going on in the world now.

Now I kinda want to go do that lol

Strongside
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM

**** Madagascar. Seriously.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Company that follows Diseases' twitter:

http://twitter.com/Veratect

Tampa 2 4 life
04-28-2009, 04:14 PM

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4749/immaclosinmahshoopyardsal1.gif

Paranoidmoonduck
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
My thought is that a) fear-mongering in the media will be minimized after a legitimate scare and b) people will be less responsive to scare tactics after having dealt with something that was legitimately worth fearing. Not likely but I haven't been able to watch the news on TV in years, I think a real threat might halt the public panic agencies called Fox News and CNN.

That doesn't ring particularly true with what I've seen from us as a country. The greatest and most successful fear mongering moments in recent US history have all come during moments of legitimate fear (fear of Communism once the Russians acquired the nuclear bomb and fear of the Middle East after 9/11).

When people are generally afraid, they are more receptive to being afraid of what people tell them to be afraid of. So I think your idea would backfire horribly.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-28-2009, 04:46 PM

It took me weeks to take that country down.

Hawk
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Just got this email on my UTK email from the chancellor.

As we begin finals and prepare for commencement ceremonies and activities, I want to take a moment to provide a brief update about the ongoing swine flu situation.

I want to assure you that the health and safety of our campus community is our foremost concern and that our campus plan takes a proactive approach in the event the current outbreak should worsen.

We have heard from some students and parents, as well as employees, who have valid concerns and questions about the developing international situation. It is important to note that current medications have been effective in treating people who have become ill from the virus and no deaths have occurred in America. We are currently monitoring the situation on an hourly basis through the Knox County Health Department, which works directly with state and federal health officials on the latest information and instructions for the general public.

Currently, no adjustments have been made to any university schedule or planned campus activities.

Our campus Pandemic Influenza Response Plan follows Centers for Disease Control guidelines. The plan gives me latitude to take immediate action if the virus continues to spread among humans and begins to cause severe and sustained illness among members of communities. Any action would be taken out of an abundance of caution to protect our students, faculty, staff and visitors. The plan - which is a companion to the campus Emergency Management Plan which is described at http://safety.utk.edu (http://safety.utk.edu/) - relates to public health emergencies and specifies key equipment, resources and personnel needed for this response.

Student Health Services advises that all members of our campus community take special care to follow proper hygiene procedures to avoid becoming ill. More information is posted online at http://web.utk.edu/~shs/ (http://web.utk.edu/%7Eshs/). Additional information also can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/.

Students who have flu-like symptoms should first call and speak to a nurse at the Student Health Service at (865) 974-2262. The clinic is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. The key determinant in diagnosing flu is a temperature at or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Students requiring after-hours attention should also call UT Medical Center at (865) 305-9000. Students who are ill should stay home and rest and avoid contact with other people.

I will provide more information if conditions worsen or if we receive more specific information that affects our campus and requires that we take additional action. I hope that you have a healthy and safe conclusion to this semester and enjoy the many related events that we have planned.

CJSchneider
04-28-2009, 04:56 PM
When you get this one;

Run for your lives. Every man, woman and child for themselves.
Signed,
The Chancellor

Be worried.

Wootylicous
04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
**** Mexico ? yes.

E-Man
04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
West Nile virus
Mad Cow disease
Avian bird flu
SARS

Now enter swine bird flu. Next thing you know it'll be some kinda dragon bird flu.

Staubach12
04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
A handfull of people have died. People die from the flu every day. People die from the flu shot! The media's just doing fear mongering because news is slow right now. Is it a pretty badass flu? Sure. Is it the end of humanity? No.

Shahin
04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
edit//on second thought, this ain't worth it.

Addict
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
When you get this one;

Run for your lives. Every man, woman and child for themselves.
Signed,
The Chancellor

Be worried.

could be worse

Dear Creation,

I've had enough of your ********. Enjoy the pig flu, you'll all die because of it.

Yes that includes you, Madagascar.

See you all very soon,

God

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
That doesn't ring particularly true with what I've seen from us as a country. The greatest and most successful fear mongering moments in recent US history have all come during moments of legitimate fear (fear of Communism once the Russians acquired the nuclear bomb and fear of the Middle East after 9/11).

When people are generally afraid, they are more receptive to being afraid of what people tell them to be afraid of. So I think your idea would backfire horribly.

If we're talking about something that would have a significant bottlenecking effect on our population it'll be far more significant than a bunch of crazy drunk russians trying run each others' lives on the other side of the world, I say this while broad of my heritage of alcoholism and cold weather. It'll be more than just something to be afraid of it'll be an actual event. I understand what you're saying but I think what we're talking about, or at least what i was talking about, is something on a completely different level and would push men past their fears, if only to survive.

sbh15
04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4749/immaclosinmahshoopyardsal1.gif

I lol'd... seriously the only time I've won that game is when my disease started in Madagascar.

I even have had a disease with only resistances and methods of transmission... Madagascar still managed to figure me out...

Xonraider
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm really starting to get scared here in Panama..

elections weekend and they're saying its starting to spread, but they're keeping it low so that people go and vote

04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
It's finally hit southern Ontario. Holy ****.

JFLO
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Hit Columbus, OH today

this means I'm not touching anyone until this mofo is gone....

D-Unit
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Only a matter of time before the Terrorist send over a bomb containing unhumanely known viruses.

CashmoneyDrew
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
We're All Gonna Die!!!!

Xonraider
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
We're All Gonna Die!!!!

yeah we're all going to die... eventually, somehow

Brent
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Only a matter of time before the Terrorist send over a bomb containing unhumanely known viruses.
are you being serious?

Malaka
04-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I am getting scared, it still hasn't reached Florida but I am one paranoid mofo :(

Tampa 2 4 life
04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
I am getting scared, it still hasn't reached Florida but I am one paranoid mofo :(

Cases in Orlando and Tampa bro.

Brent
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
There have been 7 laboratory-confirmed dead in Mexico and one in the US. This out of 189 lab-confirmed cases IN ALL OF THE WORLD. Relax people. So you might get the flu, shitloads of people do EVERY YEAR.

CJSchneider
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I ate porkchops for dinner tonight..Woooooooooooooooo.

Malaka
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Cases in Orlando and Tampa bro.

I meant Miami my bad :p still scared... er now...

the decider13
04-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I ate porkchops for dinner tonight..Woooooooooooooooo.

That's how I felt today when I ate a ham sandwich.

PACKmanN
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't want to say it, because I don't want to get banned, but all I will say is that this could be another way to get money.

Hollywood
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't want to say it, because I don't want to get banned, but all I will say is that this could be another way to get money.

I don't get the correlation between that and banning?

Malaka
04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't get the correlation between that and banning?

Speaking about the government/politics... I hope Pack is right...

Mr. Hero
04-29-2009, 11:18 PM
The other white flu is a top rate killer.

Brent
04-29-2009, 11:58 PM
The other white flu is a top rate killer.
AIDSflu? Yeah, it's pretty bad.

steelersfan43
04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
WOWWWWWW california..... I told you guys to stay away and now the **** is in seattle, ten fricken minutes from me. The **** cali???/???? the ****

If I die id like to say good bye to Sarfy sarf, VoodooMonkey and Brent. If i didnt remember you then its because the disease has already started affecting my brain. :(

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 01:29 AM
WOWWWWWW california..... I told you guys to stay away and now the **** is in seattle, ten fricken minutes from me. The **** cali???/???? the ****

If I die id like to say good bye to Sarfy sarf, VoodooMonkey and Brent. If i didnt remember you then its because the disease has already started affecting my brain. :(

Don't worry, if you get the swine flu the symptoms are noticeable. You'll cough a very dry cough, experience strong head pain, chest pain, and have a very high fever.

If you get any of these, immediately go get yourself checked out.

steelersfan43
04-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Don't worry, if you get the swine flu the symptoms are noticeable. You'll cough a very dry cough, experience strong head pain, chest pain, and have a very high fever.

If you get any of these, immediately go get yourself checked out.
well ive been sick since last friday, and that was before these cases and i havent gone anywhere..

At first it was just a sore throat and headache and congestion but now it has changed to a dry cough and slight congestion. IDK if I should go to the doctor or not.

Cicero
04-30-2009, 01:42 AM

Ya, six probably cases in Washington now.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 01:54 AM
well ive been sick since last friday, and that was before these cases and i havent gone anywhere..

At first it was just a sore throat and headache and congestion but now it has changed to a dry cough and slight congestion. IDK if I should go to the doctor or not.

Those are symptoms, although the most important one is the fever. If you've had a fever of 100 degrees farenheit or more, then yes, go and get yourself checked out.

If you haven't, then I'm almost entirely sure it's not swine flu. In every single case of this flu you get a very high fever, it's the easiest way to detect if you have it or not.

Here's the entire list of symptoms that could appear if you get swine flu, although not all might:

Fever
Lack of Appetite
Lethargy (overall weakness)
Runny Nose
Sore Throat
Coughing
Diarrhea
Nausea
Vomiting

Mr. Hero
04-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Those are symptoms, although the most important one is the fever. If you've had a fever of 100 degrees farenheit or more, then yes, go and get yourself checked out.

If you haven't, then I'm almost entirely sure it's not swine flu. In every single case of this flu you get a very high fever, it's the easiest way to detect if you have it or not.

Here's the entire list of symptoms that could appear if you get swine flu, although not all might:

Fever
Lack of Appetite
Runny Nose
Sore Throat
Coughing
Diarrhea
Nausea
Vomiting

That list is missing breathing, urinating, defecating, sleeping at night, walking on your feet and having hair.

steelersfan43
04-30-2009, 02:02 AM

Fever
Lack of Appetite
Runny Nose
Sore Throat
Coughing
Diarrhea
Nausea
Vomiting

Yea ok, I havent had a fever at all so Im happy. Just a normal cold then.

Good luck to you down there in mexico Gooseman, stay healthy

trkaline
04-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Hes in mexico? **** dude RUNNNNNN!!!! I heard if you survive the swine flu..you turn into a pig!!!!
http://www.altadisusa.com/image/events/porkchophogette.jpg

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Fever
Lack of Appetite
Runny Nose
Sore Throat
Coughing
Diarrhea
Nausea
Vomiting

Almost had me there.

Brent
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
That list is missing breathing, urinating, defecating, sleeping at night, walking on your feet and having hair.
turns out thirst is another symptom

LonghornsLegend
04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Well the closed down all the HS's in my area, and also closed down my College and exams may have to get pushed back...Every cafeteria person had mask on when they were serving food, and one of the professors daughters that goes here caught the flu a few days ago.

So while it may not be some American epidemic, it's certainly real and it's making it's way through DFW since some people may want to crack jokes about it as if it's made up.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Well if it's having it's way with DFW, it won't long until it's here in Shreveport.

Addict
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Fever
Lack of Appetite
Runny Nose
Sore Throat
Coughing
Diarrhea
Nausea
Vomiting

In other words, it's the flu.

Brent
04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Well if it's having it's way with DFW, it won't long until it's here in Shreveport.
Well, sounds like it's time to...

3ZlDZPYzfm4

Borat
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Considering I live in Californexico, I just assumed that this epidemic would pound the hell out of this state.

eaglesalltheway
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM

3ZlDZPYzfm4

Well most of us should be safe because this is all we do...
http://stuff.pyzam.com/funnypics/8/nerdparadise.jpg

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM

3ZlDZPYzfm4

Damn school filters, I can't see a thing.

trkaline
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Considering I live in Californexico, I just assumed that this epidemic would pound the hell out of this state.

I think its finally time for California to break off and sail the 7 seas...only way to escape..

eaglesalltheway
04-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Damn school filters, I can't see a thing.

Iron Maiden...Run to the Hills.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Iron Maiden...Run to the Hills.

I would have seen it when I got home, but thanks.

eaglesalltheway
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I would have seen it when I got home, but thanks.

Anything to help out...:D

Borat
04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I think its finally time for California to break off and sail the 7 seas...only way to escape..

As long as I don't end up in France, I'm cool with that.

Wootylicous
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
As long as I don't end up in France, I'm cool with that.

France doesn't want you either.

Rjspartan
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM

hooray for florida and all people who live there like me!

tjsunstein
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
It's hit New Jersey apparently. If I don't post again, just remember this.

**** the Bears.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Almost had me there.

DG is also healthy.

Brent
04-30-2009, 02:24 PM
http://doihaveswineflu.org/ haha

awfullyquiet
04-30-2009, 02:33 PM

3ZlDZPYzfm4

good choice.

i feel like i live in a nerd paradise. why? because i play video games while cycling on my trainer.

Crazy_Chris
04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
So things have gotten pretty ugly in Mexico. The swine flu, which originally was a small virus in Mexico City, has now spread all across the country, had taken 81 lives (minimum), has infected around 1,500, and none of these diagnosed people has been cured.

The virus has also been found in Texas, California, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, and Israel, and has claimed lives in San Diego, Texas, and around five cities in Mexico.

Here's a map that is updated every couple of minutes, and it shows the locations of people diagnosed with the virus: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=39.548397,-104.873385&spn=62.487058,88.330078&z=4

The exact nature of the virus has yet to be identified, and a cure has yet to be created. The World Health Organization has stated that the influenza will be impossible to contain.

In my hometown of San Pedro (right beside Monterrey in northern Mexico), schools have been shut down until further notice. The government has shut down businesses such as discos and cinemas. We can't go to theaters to watch plays. Elections are coming up in July and the majority of political events have been canceled. No crowds are allowed to attend sport events. Those who have tickets get a full refund. Even churches have been closed down and entrance is prohibited by the government.

A woman from my hometown was diagnosed with the virus, and in less than a week she passed away. In a span of five hours, ten new cases appeared, and all show the same symptoms.

I was wondering if any of you know something about the virus, like scientifically. I've tried to look into it, but can't seem to find a lot. The border with the US is supposedly going to close in less than a week, so were practically stranded here. Is anybody here studying to become a doctor or something? I'm searching for medications and treatment for any type of influenza, to use it as precaution. I've looked for things in forums and stuff, by I only find complicated medical lingo that I can't comprehend. The way the disease spreads has not been found out yet, but researchers believe it could be airborne. That's why I want to know if there's some kind of shot or something that I could take.

I really need some help with this. I know it might sound kind of desperate, but things are worsening as each hour goes by and both the government and scientists are keeping everybody in the dark. No progress has been made, and to top things off the World Health Organization recently stated that containing the virus is almost impossible. They have loaned Mexico $200 million dollars to try and find a cure, but that usually takes time. For now, people are using little masks to cover their faces and many people carry anti-bacterial soap.

And as a suggestion to anyone who was thinking of coming to Mexico, don't. This is bound to get worse and you could be seriously affected. Take my word for it, go to some other nice place that's swine flu - free.

So does anyone know anything that might be useful? I'd sincerely appreciate the help.

Don't use the map they aren't all confirmed cases and I am not sure I would trust google maps as much as other sources.

For Americans:
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Center of Disease Control is a source you can trust they update the confirmed cases in each particular state along with the death count. Right now is says 109 confirmed cases, New York has the most confirmed cases of Swine Flu with 50, and the only death has come from texas.

Non-Americans:
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html

World Health Orginization is another source you can trust they are posting regular updates. here is the latest one

30 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 17:00 GMT, 30 April 2009, 11 countries have officially reported 257 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 109 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 97 confirmed human cases of infection, including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (19), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_30_a/en/index.html

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 03:46 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/4v25ar.jpg

Lol.

someone447
04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Don't use the map they aren't all confirmed cases and I am not sure I would trust google maps as much as other sources.

For Americans:
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Center of Disease Control is a source you can trust they update the confirmed cases in each particular state along with the death count. Right now is says 109 confirmed cases, New York has the most confirmed cases of Swine Flu with 50, and the only death has come from texas.

Non-Americans:
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html

World Health Orginization is another source you can trust they are posting regular updates. here is the latest one

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_30_a/en/index.html

Or, you can be like normal sane people and realize the swine flu is just as overblown as SARS was and not worry about it. There will be VERY few deaths in the US from Swine flu, if their are modern anti-virals that country won't have to worry too much(since it's been responding to a couple of them.)

gameplaya2435
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Any bets on what the next Southpark episode will be about?

LonghornsLegend
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Yea I don't know about Death and all that, worst I heard is a 2 week flu, with some throwing up etc, past that, I've yet to hear about it.

BaLLiN
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Any bets on what the next Southpark episode will be about?

im taking dead babies for 5,000

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/4v25ar.jpg

Lol.

My new desktop - awesome pic LOL

vikes_28
04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I think people are morons and just need to relax about this whole situation. If anyone has taken the time to notice...the swine flu started in poor areas of Mexico, where they can't get the right vaccines to the people. In poor areas is where disease spread quickly. Just think of Africa and what not. Poor sanitation and lack up nutrition is what make it spread. The young children also don't help. They wipe their eyes, noses, and put their hands in their mouths. All you gotta do to avoid it is keep your hands clean, and if you touch someone who might be sick...then wash yourself.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 11:56 PM
I got bad news.

My sister is in the hospital. She developed a fever of up to 39 degrees (celcius, over 100 F), lots of phlegm, throat pain, and she was starting to get nauseous.

Neither of my two sisters, my mom, and myself have left the house since the draft started. My father has gone out to work but starting tomorrow work is suspended until May 6 in my state, Nuevo Leon.

Doctors say that while the symptoms are very, very similar to those of swine flu, they believe it's not it. They're still, however, gonna keep her all night to keep making tests.

They also said that it was great that she was taken there today, because it's just as the virus is starting to grow stronger (be it, hopefully, a normal case of the flu and not the swine one). They said that if she hadn't arrived, she would have stopped eating and started vomiting, and that she would have gotten extremely weak, extremely fast.

It's weird that she got sick, considering that we haven't left the house at all. All our food has been homemade, we're washing hands around every hour, as well as using Purell and things of the sort.

She seems to be improving with some treatment that the swine flu supposedly isn't vulnerable to, but as of right now all wait, hope it's not the swine flu, and simply hope for the best.

This is really effin scary for my family right now.

:S

the decider13
04-30-2009, 11:58 PM
That really sucks goose...hope it isn't swine flu and hope she gets better quick!

7-11
05-01-2009, 12:15 AM
"I'm tellin ya the pigman is alive. The governments been experimenting with pigmen since the fifties."

Assume this is how it started. I'll never doubt Cosmo Kramer again.

Crickett
05-01-2009, 12:32 AM
"I'm tellin ya the pigman is alive. The governments been experimenting with pigmen since the fifties."

Assume this is how it started. I'll never doubt Cosmo Kramer again.

http://static.whatsontv.co.uk/images/07422_105742_117248.jpg

OMG, ITS ALL TRUE!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

LonghornsLegend
05-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I think people are morons and just need to relax about this whole situation. If anyone has taken the time to notice...the swine flu started in poor areas of Mexico, where they can't get the right vaccines to the people. In poor areas is where disease spread quickly. Just think of Africa and what not. Poor sanitation and lack up nutrition is what make it spread. The young children also don't help. They wipe their eyes, noses, and put their hands in their mouths. All you gotta do to avoid it is keep your hands clean, and if you touch someone who might be sick...then wash yourself.

Who is not relaxing? I don't get it when you guys keep saying that.

I haven't seen anyone freaking out unless I missed a post, even on the news they were just informing people and not freaking out like you had to stay in the house.

It's already had multiple cases reported in Texas, California, and one other state, so lots of places are taking the pre-cautions to make sure it doesn't spread...Even if it doesn't kill you, you still have to go through procedures to make sure it doesn't spread, explain to me how people should "relax"? Just seems to me like people are trying to stay informed, personally I'm just happy they closed our school down, but I do know they don't just close college campuses down for multiple days during exam time unless there is a legit reason.

What would anyone be a moron for? Watching the news?

Crickett
05-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Who is not relaxing? I don't get it when you guys keep saying that.

I haven't seen anyone freaking out unless I missed a post, even on the news they were just informing people and not freaking out like you had to stay in the house.

.................... :o

I was freaking out a little, but that because I live so close to the two schools in NY that were infected. And now I'm embarrassed. :(

LonghornsLegend
05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
.................... :o

I was freaking out a little, but that because I live so close to the two schools in NY that were infected. And now I'm embarrassed. :(

Lol maybe I did miss that then, hadn't gone through the entire thread.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-01-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't think anyone is freaking out, but we're seeing a virus that's spreading decently quickly, comes out one of the largest cities on the planet, has the most dangerous effects on the people with the strongest immune systems, and already has confirmed cases sprouting up all over the world.

Certainly, it isn't a globally fatal epidemic, but it doesn't have to be to warrant attention and caution.

Xonraider
05-01-2009, 02:47 AM
I got bad news.

My sister is in the hospital. She developed a fever of up to 39 degrees (celcius, over 100 F), lots of phlegm, throat pain, and she was starting to get nauseous.

Neither of my two sisters, my mom, and myself have left the house since the draft started. My father has gone out to work but starting tomorrow work is suspended until May 6 in my state, Nuevo Leon.

Doctors say that while the symptoms are very, very similar to those of swine flu, they believe it's not it. They're still, however, gonna keep her all night to keep making tests.

They also said that it was great that she was taken there today, because it's just as the virus is starting to grow stronger (be it, hopefully, a normal case of the flu and not the swine one). They said that if she hadn't arrived, she would have stopped eating and started vomiting, and that she would have gotten extremely weak, extremely fast.

It's weird that she got sick, considering that we haven't left the house at all. All our food has been homemade, we're washing hands around every hour, as well as using Purell and things of the sort.

She seems to be improving with some treatment that the swine flu supposedly isn't vulnerable to, but as of right now all wait, hope it's not the swine flu, and simply hope for the best.

This is really effin scary for my family right now.

:S

Puta, broder, no se que decirte pero, manten la fe. No se si eres muy religioso pero tirate un pequeña oracion... siempre me ayuda eso. Si los doctores creen que no lo es, entonces es una buena señal.

Yo pase por una situacion en mi servicio social (LOGICAMENTE no tan fea como esta pero igual) que aparentemente alguien fue al baño, toco ''algo'' y no se lavo las manos, y empezo a COCINAR. Le dio un virus del estomago a 25 de los 33 en el campamento, con el hospital mas cercano a media hora en carro, con solo un carro. Se iban de cuatro en cuatro en turnos, de mañana y noche. A mi no me dio, pero se puso tan feo que nos regresamos temprano.

Manten la fe, y acompaña a tu hermana, ayudala a que se mejore, has que se ria, mantenla feliz, eso SIEEEEEEEEMPREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EE ayuda. Estoy segurisimo que mejorara, solo dale tiempo.

Cuidate hermano, aqui en Panamá nadie esta seguro de nada, hay muchos rumores de que ya llego pero que se quiere mantener oculto por las elecciones este domingo y quieren que la gente vaya a votar.

Mantenos informados

iowatreat54
05-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Ingles, por favor.

Seriously though, hope your sister is ok Mr. Goosemahn.

But I really will laugh at anyone not in a state bordering Mexico that is worried about this. If you are between the ages of 5-60 in the U.S., you really have nothing to worry about.

CJSchneider
05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Puta, broder, no se que decirte pero, manten la fe. No se si eres muy religioso pero tirate un pequeña oracion... siempre me ayuda eso. Si los doctores creen que no lo es, entonces es una buena señal.

Yo pase por una situacion en mi servicio social (LOGICAMENTE no tan fea como esta pero igual) que aparentemente alguien fue al baño, toco ''algo'' y no se lavo las manos, y empezo a COCINAR. Le dio un virus del estomago a 25 de los 33 en el campamento, con el hospital mas cercano a media hora en carro, con solo un carro. Se iban de cuatro en cuatro en turnos, de mañana y noche. A mi no me dio, pero se puso tan feo que nos regresamos temprano.

Manten la fe, y acompaña a tu hermana, ayudala a que se mejore, has que se ria, mantenla feliz, eso SIEEEEEEEEMPREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EE ayuda. Estoy segurisimo que mejorara, solo dale tiempo.

Cuidate hermano, aqui en Panamá nadie esta seguro de nada, hay muchos rumores de que ya llego pero que se quiere mantener oculto por las elecciones este domingo y quieren que la gente vaya a votar.

Mantenos informados

Dios Miyo - ay yi yi

vikes_28
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Ingles, por favor.

Seriously though, hope your sister is ok Mr. Goosemahn.

But I really will laugh at anyone not in a state bordering Mexico that is worried about this. If you are between the ages of 5-60 in the U.S., you really have nothing to worry about.

I heard its affecting people in their early twentys to alte thirtys

Brent
05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
So, I spent a part of the evening talking about this with a girl I have a thing for who is a genetics/biochemistry major. It seems there isnt any thing to concern yourselves with now as it's nearing the end of flu season. The concern is whether it continues through the Fall and worsens later this year. We may have dropped a ton of cash to start making vaccines but they take 9 months to make. I.e., if they are needed by the time they are ready, we are in trouble.

The_Dude
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/nerickson_photo/2790_96991328078_712658078_251608.jpg

The Unseen
05-01-2009, 10:52 AM
So, I spent a part of the evening talking about this with a girl I have a thing for who is a genetics/biochemistry major. It seems there isnt any thing to concern yourselves with now as it's nearing the end of flu season. The concern is whether it continues through the Fall and worsens later this year. We may have dropped a ton of cash to start making vaccines but they take 9 months to make. I.e., if they are needed by the time they are ready, we are in trouble.

I'm going to live at a massive college starting in the Fall. FML

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
05-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Just be that creepy germophobe that every floor has.

CJSchneider
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
One of my first barracks-mates in the Army was a germophobe. You wanna talk about a pain in the ass.

Brent
05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
One of my first barracks-mates in the Army was a germophobe. You wanna talk about a pain in the ass.
I am simultaneously the best and worst roommate: I am the biggest neat/clean freak you will ever meet.

Which one, if I may ask?

CJSchneider
05-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I am simultaneously the best and worst roommate: I am the biggest neat/clean freak you will ever meet.

OK, so what would make you be the best roommate?

Edit: I'm allowing you to explain for those that haven't seen the video

The Unseen
05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Which one, if I may ask?

Tim Tebow Theological Seminary

vikes_28
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM
there are now two confirmed cases in the city that I live in.

iowatreat54
05-02-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.doihavetheswineflu.com/

Brent
05-02-2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.doihavetheswineflu.com/
Better: http://doihaveswineflu.org/

comahan
05-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova told the BBC that, based on samples tested, the mortality rate was comparable with that of seasonal flu.

Shocker.

Brent
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Over 12000 people have died this year of NON-swine-flu flu. And no one gives a ****.

The Unseen
05-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Over 12000 people have died this year of NON-swine-flu flu. And no one gives a ****.

Callousness to the commonplace is rather commonplace

Boston
05-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Well, if it ends up being a pandemic, at least it's got a pretty cool name. Nothing will outdo the Bubonic Plague though. Epic.

Brent
05-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Callousness to the commonplace is rather commonplace
Someone I know had a good one the other day: "20 people die of swine flu and every one is wearing a surgical mask. Millions die each year from AIDS and no one wears a condom."

CJSchneider
05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
If I die of a flu, it had better be a flu that has a tough name, like "Grizzly Bear flu" or "Yetti flu" or "Man-eating shark flu"; you know something that doesn't sound panzy.

The Unseen
05-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Someone I know had a good one the other day: "20 people die of swine flu and every one is wearing a surgical mask. Millions die each year from AIDS and no one wears a condom."

http://cdbaby.name/p/r/profound.jpg

Crickett
05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
there are now two confirmed cases in the city that I live in.

Feh, I have 4 dozen confirmed cases in the neighborhood I live in.

Brent
05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
If I die of a flu, it had better be a flu that has a tough name, like "Grizzly Bear flu" or "Yetti flu" or "Man-eating shark flu"; you know something that doesn't sound panzy.
Zombie Pirate Flu?

the decider13
05-02-2009, 10:40 PM

That is an awesome quote...made me laugh and is so true.

CJSchneider
05-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Zombie Pirate Flu?

http://www.difficultyunlimited.com/images/RandomContent/zombie_pirates.jpg

Exactly

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Haha, I was thinking the same.

Jokes aside, I don't want his BS, and I guess at work I'll have to not shake hands with any customers..

Matthew Jones
05-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about the swine flu. Isn't it basically just the regular flu?

the decider13
05-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about the swine flu. Isn't it basically just the regular flu?

Essentially yes...but the media has hyped it to be super aids.

They discussed closing schools here in Oklahoma and there isn't even a case here yet.

yodabear
05-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Essentially yes...but the media has hyped it to be super aids.

They discussed closing schools here in Oklahoma and there isn't even a case here yet.

The media hyping something that is no big deal into a deal, NO WAY!

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:28 PM
If it's not a big deal, then why are people dying from it?

yodabear
05-02-2009, 11:30 PM

More people are dying of cancer, why isn't that getting talked about? I mean, it is a deal, but closing schools, wearing masks, don't fly, etc., I just don't need to see reasons for that.

Boston
05-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Do you know how many people die on a daily basis?

Matthew Jones
05-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Actually more people die from the regular flu. Break out the masks, America.

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:32 PM
More people are dying of cancer, why isn't that getting talked about? I mean, it is a deal, but closing schools, wearing masks, don't fly, etc., I just don't need to see reasons for that.
Because it's a common reoccurring instance. The Swine Flu has had reported deaths (like cancer) and is contagious, unlike cancer.

yodabear
05-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Because it's a common reoccurring instance. The Swine Flu has had reported deaths (like cancer) and is contagious, unlike cancer.

What I just don't get is people rushing off to get a mask. Or states cancelling high school activities. Or schools closing, or people rushing to a doctor if they sneeze once, thats all.

CJSchneider
05-02-2009, 11:42 PM
What I just don't get is people rushing off to get a mask. Or states cancelling high school activities. Or schools closing, or people rushing to a doctor if they sneeze once, thats all.

Let the school's close for God's sake, LOL.

yodabear
05-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Let the school's close for God's sake, LOL.

Hey, there have been 3 confirmed cases in Milwaukee, with 39 probable cases pending. But doubt they would close colleges, keep schools open!

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Neither do I, it's rediculous. I'm getting a Flu shot the instant they're available. That's for sure.

Brent
05-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Neither do I, it's rediculous. I'm getting a Flu shot the instant they're available. That's for sure.
Last time I got a flu shot was the 8th grade and, not surprising, was the last time I had the flu. Flu shots are overrated.

CashmoneyDrew
05-02-2009, 11:46 PM

Flu shots are a waste.

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Last time I got a flu shot was the 8th grade and, not surprising, was the last time I had the flu. Flu shots are overrated.
I haven't gotten once since about then too, and 3 years ago when I smashed my left index and middle finger between a 4,000lb dock and cement ground I got a tetnis shot, but nothing since, well the only ones since are the shots in the cheek from the dentist that leave you drooling like a bulldog for the next 3 hours.

But I get the flu once a year as well as bronchidis and/or mono.

Brent
05-02-2009, 11:50 PM
But I get the flu once a year as well as bronchidis and/or mono.
Your immune system must really suck. Also, you dont get mono over and over, as it never leaves your system, you just have flair ups.

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Your immune system must really suck. Also, you dont get mono over and over, as it never leaves your system, you just have flair ups.
Na, it's not bad. Just not invincible like yours haha

Brent
05-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Hey, everyone can have great immune systems, it's all about diet and exposure. Eat well and dont take unnecessary risks (not washing hands etc) and you will be fine.

yodabear
05-02-2009, 11:53 PM

Maybe its cuz of the atrocity of our football team the last two years.

CJSchneider
05-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I haven't gotten once since about then too, and 3 years ago when I smashed my left index and middle finger between a 4,000lb dock and cement ground ...

Holy ****, you fingers must have looked like a beaver's tail.

But yeah, the last flu shot I received was when I was at Ft. Polk and I ended up sick as a dog.

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Maybe its cuz of the atrocity of our football team the last two years.
True, stress plays a big part.

And about my diet:
Burger King
Quiznos
Wendys
Quiznos
Sonic
Quiznos
Quiznos

That's about it, with pop and water.

Explains alot.

CashmoneyDrew
05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I think I can honestly say I've never truly had the flu and I can't even remember the last time I had a flu shot. Probably either elementary school or middle school.

the decider13
05-02-2009, 11:57 PM
True, stress plays a big part.

And about my diet:
Burger King
Quiznos
Wendys
Quiznos
Sonic
Quiznos
Quiznos

That's about it, with pop and water.

Explains alot.

That does put all the pieces together. Quiznos gives you mono is the only reasonable conclusion I can draw from this.

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Holy ****, you fingers must have looked like a beaver's tail.

My left index finger had about 20 stitches in it, just right at the tip of it in a U shape, when it happened I had about a 2 foot piece of dead skin hanging off, and I had what looked like raw hamburger hanging out. I didn't cry though, I certainly tried, but I couldn't for some reason. And then when I got to the doctor, they had to put the morphine shot right in my wound, it sucked.

Oh yeah! And the next day I had to get it rewrapped, and when the lady got done, she went to cut the gause, and she SNIPPED THE TIP OF MY FINGER! WTF!?!?! I don't know how a nurse does that, but I almost took them scissors and stapped her neck.

CJSchneider
05-03-2009, 12:00 AM
My left index finger had about 20 stitches in it, just right at the tip of it in a U shape, when it happened I had about a 2 foot piece of dead skin hanging off, and I had what looked like raw hamburger hanging out. I didn't cry though, I certainly tried, but I couldn't for some reason. And then when I got to the doctor, they had to put the morphine shot right in my wound, it sucked.

Oh yeah! And the next day I had to get it rewrapped, and when the lady got done, she went to cut the gause, and she SNIPPED THE TIP OF MY FINGER! WTF!?!?! I don't know how a nurse does that, but I almost took them scissors and stapped her neck.

Nurse FAIL, you are needed in the ER, paging nurse FAIL.

HawkeyeFan
05-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Nurse FAIL, you are needed in the ER, paging nurse FAIL.
Your telling me, it was some old hag, so she probably didn't even care.

I should have responded: "I understand you dumb BEEP, that your husband left your ugly self, and that you hate life and are forever worthless, but did you need to do this? Now I stab you!! K, thanks!"

slightlyaraiderfan
05-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Apparently somebody in Long Beach died of swine flu, I was in Long Beach yesterday, and today I have a case of the sniffles. Later guys :(

edit: the person was diagnosed with swine flu, hasn't died...well, not yet.

brat316
05-03-2009, 01:15 AM
more people die of measles on this board than Swine Flu

true story

sbh15
05-03-2009, 01:48 AM
We've established by now that this is the flu... without an immediate cure?

as long as you catch it early enough you'll be fine. I bet more people die from the normal flu every day that the total deaths from Swine Flu.

Prowler
05-03-2009, 07:21 AM
i just hope that the Domestic House Cat Sniffles isn't the next big epidemic.

Gay Ork Wang
05-03-2009, 07:43 AM

as long as you catch it early enough you'll be fine. I bet more people die from the normal flu every day that the total deaths from Swine Flu.
but that story is not as cool as this one

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
i just hope that the Domestic House Cat Sniffles isn't the next big epidemic.

Cat scratch fever! wa na naah!

Brent
05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
There are no cures for any strains of influenza. You can be vaccinated but vaccines are based on the previous year's strains and aren't entirely necessary because the flu strains evolve each year. In fact, I would worry about the other strains of flu which kill hundreds of thousands of people each year, not some catchy named flu.

Shane P. Hallam
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
All are treatable, including SARF flu, if caught early enough (and in a stable person, i.e. not someone who is 90 years old)

PACKmanN
05-03-2009, 01:37 PM
this sounds like a video game, lol, we should make a video game!

Strongside
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
**** JUST GOT REAL!!!!!!!1111 (http://bouncewith.me.uk/europe/8027043.htm)

Brent
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Ha. URL FAIL.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Just so you guys know, my sister is back home and she's getting better. Doctors recommend she doesn't go near anyone for about a week, though. She still has to take a couple medications, but overall things went well.

And just a quick question, what's up with the "SARF" flu thing, and how do you change the thread title?

Mr. Goosemahn
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Lol.

Looks very official.

The Unseen
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Confirmed case in county adjacent to me.

oh noez

CJSchneider
05-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Cases have been confirmed in the parish I teach in.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM

I'm in the process of boarding up my windows and doors, as well as setting up dynamite in strategic locations in my yard. You just can't take chances with Zombies!...

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 09:50 PM

My sister's school sent home a letter saying any child who has the symptoms will be sent home for precautionary measures, they don't even need to have the fever. I told her if she wants out of school this week she should walk up to the priciple and cough, then say her body feels tired...

steelersfan43
05-05-2009, 12:29 AM
O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my best friend went away on a trip to canada to a camp thing for a week and they had swine flu there and he got it!!!!!!

He was at school today and he caught it on like thursday lol

nrk
05-05-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm in the process of boarding up my windows and doors, as well as setting up dynamite in strategic locations in my yard. You just can't take chances with Zombies!...

Stock up on terrible records to throw.

VoteLynnSwan
05-05-2009, 12:32 AM
O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my best friend went away on a trip to canada to a camp thing for a week and they had swine flu there and he got it!!!!!!

He was at school today and he caught it on like thursday lol

it's sarf flu asshat.

steelersfan43
05-05-2009, 01:05 AM
it's sarf flu asshat.

My bad

I miss sarfy sarf :(

El Peefs?????
05-05-2009, 01:39 AM
I already caught sarforrhea years ago.

Mr. Hero
05-05-2009, 01:43 AM
I already caught sarforrhea years ago.

Does previous exposure to sarforrhea make one immune to sarf flu though? I think they are seperate viruses even if they do come from the same patient zero.

HawkeyeFan
05-05-2009, 01:45 AM
There's 10 now in Iowa.

Damn, I better shoot myself up with the Flu shotsss!

vikes_28
05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
There's 10 now in Iowa.

I'm going to Iowa for a church mission trip in August :D. Maybe I'll Catch the Sarf flu!

terribletowel39
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Caddo Parish represent!! I don't watch TV, I wonder if any cases have confirmed around I.

Brent
05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/03/swine.flu.react/index.html

Twenty-five people died from the inoculation while one person was killed by the flu, Paul said, adding that he voted against inoculation.
Over-reacting jackasses.

someone447
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
There's 10 now in Iowa.

They are now thinking that there were many, many more cases in Mexico than originally thought. Because the death toll is so low in the US, they think it may not be a very deadly strain, and that Mexico had already reached pandemic levels, and that it was just confused for the normal flu or a cold in many of the cases.

On a side note, I've been sick for about two weeks.

vikes_28
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
They are now thinking that there were many, many more cases in Mexico than originally thought. Because the death toll is so low in the US, they think it may not be a very deadly strain, and that Mexico had already reached pandemic levels, and that it was just confused for the normal flu or a cold in many of the cases.

On a side note, I've been sick for about two weeks.

OH noes!!!1!!1!

You have the swine flu!

TitanHope
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
St. Jude researchers search for vaccine to SARF Flu. (http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=3fb2d69aaacf0210VgnVCM1000001e 0215acRCRD&vgnextchannel=11444cc6a671e110VgnVCM1000001e0215ac RCRD)

Help is on de way dear!!! Help is on de way!

Strongside
05-08-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jwQ7SiaZtiWl-UBkdPBnN0uJin_w

Well it turns out 2 Japanese exchange students and 1 teacher who visited my high school last week had swine flu and were stopped at the airport and quarantined. One of those students was staying with the guy who sits beside me in my biology class.

If I got swine flu it would be pretty ironic considering all I've done is make puns about it hahaha.

I wonder if they'll shut down my school?

Brent
05-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh my god, you might get it and then... DUN DUN DUN be okay.