worst
1) Ravens
2) Oakland
3) K.C.
4) S.D.
5) Dallas

superman
04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
how did i know you'd give cincy the best grade lol.

but no, they had a good draft.

the decider13
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM
I actually like what the Falcons did, especially if you include the Gonzo trade. They gave their defense a talent injection which is always a good thing.

I thought the patriots draft was MUCH worse than that except for Butler. I wouldgive them a C probably at this point.

But I still think that grading a draft the day afterwards is quite stupid. The Broncos filled a lot of their needs, just not in the way people expected. McD came in with a list of players he wanted, and he left with them. Sure, trading the first next year isn't too smart, but you gave Carolina a B- while they traded their first too. That really doesn't make too much sense.

killxswitch
04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I gave the Colts a B-, so your C+ is right in there with what I think in general. If you feel like it I'd like to know your specific thoughts about their draft.

LonghornsLegend
04-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Care to explain why the Rams took Jason Smith over Andre Smith? Remember when you were swearing up and down that if they went with a tackle it would be Andre no matter what?

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I lol at Ravens fans who think we had a horrible draft because we didn't get a WR... I loved it.

Ravens1991
04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
ya WTF is wrong with the Ravens draft? My theory why we didnt go WR is becaus all true #1s in this draft were gone by our 2nd round pick. We have plenty of young WR that are still developing who can be good role WR but never a true #1. We could have went Nicks or Britt at 26 but the ability to get Oher was to good to pass up.

wicket
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
i dont see how you can rate the ravens draft worse than the saints draft. also zona should be with the big winners imo

superman
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
i dont see how you can rate the ravens draft worse than the saints draft. also zona should be with the big winners imo

they didn't draft andre smith...

bored of education
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
IF the raiders drafted Andre smith = a+?

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM

It all makes sense now!

the decider13
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM

I knew it...everyone should have tried to trade up for Andre Smith.

roscoesdad27
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Care to explain why the Rams took Jason Smith over Andre Smith? Remember when you were swearing up and down that if they went with a tackle it would be Andre no matter what?

actually i said that if the lions went o.t. it would be andre because of their scheme...with that said st. louie will be answering draft blunder questions in a year or two when andre establishes himself....EVERYBODY said monroe was going before andre too, but what happened?

roscoesdad27
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I lol at Ravens fans who think we had a horrible draft because we didn't get a WR... I loved it.

it's not just that....we passed on a field stretching t.e. for yet another small corner...we took an early olb when we are set there with suggs, johnson, barnes, mcclain and burgess coming back from injury...we also didnt get a 3-4 d.e. which will be needed with ngata move inside, pryces age/injury problems....oher was a GREAT pick however.

PACKmanN
04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
lmao at GB getting a B, they addressed their needs and got top value.

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
it's not just that....we passed on a field stretching t.e. for yet another small corner...we took an early olb when we are set there with suggs, johnson, barnes, mcclain and burgess coming back from injury...we also didnt get a 3-4 d.e. which will be needed with ngata move inside, pryces age/injury problems....oher was a GREAT pick however.

Kruger isn't going to play much OLB, DeCosta already said that he's going to try and bulk up to play LDE. We are probably moving more towards a 4-3 front with Harbaugh and Mattison.

As I've stated in other threads, our FO has said all along that any TE we go after in the draft needs to be able to block on the line. Drew is that kind of TE. While he might not be as good as he can be at it yet, our TE coach will be able to teach him how (he taught Heap how to block, that's a miracle).

roscoesdad27
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I actually like what the Falcons did, especially if you include the Gonzo trade. They gave their defense a talent injection which is always a good thing.

I thought the patriots draft was MUCH worse than that except for Butler. I wouldgive them a C probably at this point.

But I still think that grading a draft the day afterwards is quite stupid. The Broncos filled a lot of their needs, just not in the way people expected. McD came in with a list of players he wanted, and he left with them. Sure, trading the first next year isn't too smart, but you gave Carolina a B- while they traded their first too. That really doesn't make too much sense.

the jerry pick was solid even thou i thought hood was the better prospect and fit because it was my understanding that you guys need a 4-3 n.t. type...both are more u.t. types but hood has a bit more bulk and a better frame to put on more weight....the moore pick was outstanding, he fits your system to perfection....sidbury was also very good and walker was a steal....with all that said you didnt address the olb positions....should probably change it to a B- or B....solid draft.

i really liked the pats draft even though they didnt get an edge pass rusher...chung should be a force at s.s. and replace harrison...brace is a great backup for wilfork and gives the team a lil leverage next year when vince will be a free agent...butler was great value at a need spot...mckenzie is the wildcard, he will be used inside next to mayo imho.

the broncos HAD to get a n.t. and they didnt, thats why i'm soo low on them....duke robinson was the steal of the draft and great for carolinas scheme.

A Perfect Score
04-27-2009, 11:03 AM
This guy is clearly a moron, and unless every team drafted andre smith in the first round they were bound to get a ****** grade...How is the Ravens draft in any way the worst of the year? And of course you have cincy's as the best, guess who they drafted? Andre Smith!!!

I do have a legitimate question...are you Andre Smith?

roscoesdad27
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I gave the Colts a B-, so your C+ is right in there with what I think in general. If you feel like it I'd like to know your specific thoughts about their draft.

1) i didnt think r.b. was a first round need esp. since they got addai in the first a few years back...brown is an excellent player however and good value at the spot but hood would have been much better.

2) fili is a very solid pick.

3) powers was a reach but he does fit your scheme well.

4) collie is a decent pick but i would have gone w.r. earlier.

5) taylor is a great pick.

6) painter is a solid pick.

7) both 7 th rounders were alright i reckon.

just didnt like the first rounder...could easily be a B- or B draft.

I think you guys should have went hood in round 1 and derrick williams round 2...williams could have been your third reciever AND a change of pace/third down r.b.

roscoesdad27
04-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Kruger isn't going to play much OLB, DeCosta already said that he's going to try and bulk up to play LDE. We are probably moving more towards a 4-3 front with Harbaugh and Mattison.

As I've stated in other threads, our FO has said all along that any TE we go after in the draft needs to be able to block on the line. Drew is that kind of TE. While he might not be as good as he can be at it yet, our TE coach will be able to teach him how (he taught Heap how to block, that's a miracle).

1) I dont think ray has the speed to play in the 4-3 anymore so we should stick to the 3-4 until he retires which leaves kruger in limbo.

2) nelson is a very good blocker but his tremendous recieveing skills often over shadows that trait.

roscoesdad27
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
This guy is clearly a moron, and unless every team drafted andre smith in the first round they were bound to get a ****** grade...How is the Ravens draft in any way the worst of the year? And of course you have cincy's as the best, guess who they drafted? Andre Smith!!!

I do have a legitimate question...are you Andre Smith?

werent you the guy telling me that andre was going to be the third o.t. taken?...or did you say the fourth?...lol you defeinitly thought eugene was going before andre...lol

the bengals not only got the clear cut best o.t. in this class but also got steals with rey and m.j....plus i really like coffman.

A Perfect Score
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
werent you the guy telling me that andre was going to be the third o.t. taken?...or did you say the fourth?...lol you defeinitly thought eugene was going before andre...lol

the bengals not only got the clear cut best o.t. in this class but also got steals with rey and m.j....plus i really like coffman.

Yes, I did say that. And I still think the Bengals made a HUGE mistake taking fat Andre Smith over Eugene Monroe. But that is why the Bengals are the Bengals. They had a chance to bring in a high character guy who is as close to a sure thing that there is in this draft, but instead they chose the sloppy, immature boom or bust type guy with major character issues. So congrats on being correct that the Bengals are idiots. You are still so enamoured with Andre Smith im starting to think that you either are him or you are dating him.

And guys like Maualuga and Johnson fell for a reason. We just dont know what those reasons are. It just happens that the Bengals were there to snap them up.

superman
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
lmao at GB getting a B, they addressed their needs and got top value.

i dont know who else they got, but off the top of my head raji AND matthews makes this a sick draft for them

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
1) I dont think ray has the speed to play in the 4-3 anymore so we should stick to the 3-4 until he retires which leaves kruger in limbo.

2) nelson is a very good blocker but his tremendous recieveing skills often over shadows that trait.

1. Doesn't matter if Ray does or doesn't fit it, it's what the coaches are going to do. Kruger can also play OLB while he bulks up and we transition toa 4-3 so being in a 3-4 doesn't leave him in limbo. We needed a pass-rushing threat opposite of Suggs and we got it. There's no denying that Terrell was the ONLY player that was able to get pressure consistently last year. whether it was from a 3-4 or a 4-3. Sure we have a bunch of guys at OLD, but which ones can get pressure? JJ for sure isn't good at it, McClain has a terrible first step and is better suited for the middle, and Barnes hasn't shown that he can get it done consistently nor is his motor all that good. Kruger was an excellent pick.

2. It doesn't matter how good of a receiver Nelson is, he didn't fit our offense. I believe you used the logic that Ray doesn't fit a 4-3, but i will turn around and use it right back in that Nelson doesn't fit what we do on offense. For some reason Cam seems high on L.J. and thinks he can be the receiving TE that we need, as well as Heap. Quinn is coming back form an injury as well and it allows us to split Heap out wide, and L.J., which should help him do better like he has in the past.

vidae
04-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Give me a BREAK. The Chiefs get a D-? We might have reached for a few players but they weren't bad for us scheme wise. Blah.

ccB
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Ravens worse than Oakland as well, I LOL hard at this guy.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Why does Pitt get a C+?

They filled every single one of their needs.

O-Line?
Kraig Urbik, a 6'5, 325lbs tough, durable, run-blocking guard that also has experience at tackle.
AQ Shipley, a guy who might be undersized, but is an extremely hard worker, and won the Rimington award, given to the best center in college football. Was extremely good value as a 7th rounder.

D-Line?
Evander "Ziggy" Hood, a natural leader with a non-stop motor, agile, very strong, and does almost everything well.
Ra'Shon "Sonny" Harris, a 6'4, 298 lbs. guy who's got incredible physical abilities but is somewhat raw. Has huge upside.

Replacement for Bryant McFadden?
Keenan Lewis, a lanky and athletic corner that excels in zone schemes. Isn't afraid of contact.
Joe Burnett, a small CB that has great returning abilities and has a knack for getting the ball, having 16 interceptions in 4 years..

Replacement for Nate Washington?
Mike Wallace, a guy who Mayock clocked at 4.28 during the 40. Mayock said he is one of the fastest players he's ever seen. Nate was used as a deep-threat, and Wallace is taller, faster, jumps higher, and has much, MUCH, better hands than what Nate does. Nate took around four years to develop, and he's probably at the same level that Wallace is right now. He's also a monster at returning kicks and punts.

Returners?
Wallace and Burnett, as mentioned previously, hold many records, some local, and some NCAA wide.

Goal-Line Back?
Last year they had Gary Russell, who even scored a TD in the Superbowl. Unfortunately, he had a marijuana incident and they cut him; the Bengals, of course, were full of joy upon learning that a division rival had cut a fourth string RB with questionable character and legal issues, and signed him a day later. To replace him, Pittsburgh drafted Frank "the tank" Summers, a power RB/FB who ran a 4.55 40 and benched 225 lbs. 30 times. It's this guy:
http://media.lvrj.com/images/3388774.jpg

And the Steelers also got a FB/TE to run-block.

How can that be a C+? It's good players, with good value, who fill needs...

I know it's not an A, but it's still a better draft than what the Redskins did, and they have the same grade.

pr0d1gy
04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Give me a BREAK. The Chiefs get a D-? We might have reached for a few players but they weren't bad for us scheme wise. Blah.

What matters is how YOU feel about YOUR TEAM'S draft a few years from now, and today to a much lesser extent. I don't know how you grade NE or ATL so low when both Front Offices have a long history of success in the draft, usually by reaching for lesser known talents and shocking the experts.....kind of like they did this year.

Good job grading them all out man, I haven't even had time to see them all yet....lol

ThePudge
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Yes, I did say that. And I still think the Bengals made a HUGE mistake taking fat Andre Smith over Eugene Monroe. But that is why the Bengals are the Bengals. They had a chance to bring in a high character guy who is as close to a sure thing that there is in this draft, but instead they chose the sloppy, immature boom or bust type guy with major character issues. So congrats on being correct that the Bengals are idiots. You are still so enamoured with Andre Smith im starting to think that you either are him or you are dating him.

And guys like Maualuga and Johnson fell for a reason. We just dont know what those reasons are. It just happens that the Bengals were there to snap them up.

I guess the concept of a steal doesn't exist to you. Sure Rey, Johnson, and Coffman fell to us allowing the Bengals to draft with tremendous value in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds. We do know the reason each fell though, aside from teams simply rating players at other positions higher or because team need had an effect...

Maualuga - Maturity questions and questionable fit in a base 4-3 or Tampa 2 defense. The Ravens (26th Overall) have said they were set to take Maualuga if not for Michael Oher falling. Marvin Lewis was shocked when Rey was there and said he fielded many calls from teams that wanted to trade up and take Maualuga, hence why the Bengals ran the clock down to 4 seconds. There was no offer on the table the Bengals deemed worthy and they pulled the trigger. Rey should mature with age and learning from veteran leader Dhani Jones, and also is a fit in Mike Zimmer's attacking 4-3 scheme.

Johnson - Just a project. He's physically raw and very raw in his technique. He fell because he was an underachiever and he was going to need a lot of coaching, work in the weight room, and also because he is somewhat of a tweener DE/OLB. He'll likely only see the field this year for the Bengals on select third downs and punt/field goal attempts but brings terrific speed off the edge and pass-rushing potential.

Coffman - A toe injury kept him from working out this offseason at the Combine and Pro Day.

It was the best, most talented Bengals draft I've seen, though that may not be saying all too much looking at the past decade. Not an A+ draft, but I'll go with an A-, only downgrading due to the amount of work the coaches will have to put in to develop and keep these players heads on straight. That is the nature of their job though, so it should be expected. I'm very confident. A Steelers fan perhaps?

Crickett
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
werent you the guy telling me that andre was going to be the third o.t. taken?

Weren't you the guy telling us that your idol was going to be the second player taken?

Mr. Goosemahn
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I guess the concept of a steal doesn't exist to you. Sure Rey, Johnson, and Coffman fell to us allowing the Bengals to draft with tremendous value in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds. We do know the reason each fell though, aside from teams simply rating players at other positions higher or because team need had an effect...

Maualuga - Maturity questions and questionable fit in a base 4-3 or Tampa 2 defense. The Ravens (26th Overall) have said they were set to take Maualuga if not for Michael Oher falling. Marvin Lewis was shocked when Rey was there and said he fielded many calls from teams that wanted to trade up and take Maualuga, hence why the Bengals ran the clock down to 4 seconds. There was no offer on the table the Bengals deemed worthy and they pulled the trigger. Rey should mature with age and learning from veteran leader Dhani Jones, and also is a fit in Mike Zimmer's attacking 4-3 scheme.

Johnson - Just a project. He's physically raw and very raw in his technique. He fell because he was an underachiever and he was going to need a lot of coaching, work in the weight room, and also because he is somewhat of a tweener DE/OLB. He'll likely only see the field this year for the Bengals on select third downs and punt/field goal attempts but brings terrific speed off the edge and pass-rushing potential.

Coffman - A toe injury kept him from working out this offseason at the Combine and Pro Day.

It was the best, most talented Bengals draft I've seen, though that may not be saying all too much looking at the past decade. Not an A+ draft, but I'll go with an A-, only downgrading due to the amount of work the coaches will have to put in to develop and keep these players heads on straight. That is the nature of their job though, so it should be expected. I'm very confident. A Steelers fan perhaps?

I think he was just saying that the Bengals should have taken Eugene Monroe over Andre Smith.

As for Rey and Michael Johnson, their character issues are not THAT bad. Rey fell because his role in a defense is very, very limited. Some people only saw him as a thumper in a 3-4 defense, while Cushing could have played pretty much anything except 3-4 OLB (and maybe he could've developed into that). I don't know how well he'll fit in the Bengals defense.

And as for Johnson, yeah, he needs a lot of coaching. And motivation.

cunit2k9
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Rey Maualuga is not that good. Guy had like 2.5 tackles for loss last year.

A Perfect Score
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Im a Ravens fan, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my critique of your draft. I agree, Maualuga was a good choice for where he was taken. That said, its the same old Bengals with the same old issues. I was more referring to the Andre Smith selection over Eugene Monroe with my response: that said, your top 3 guys all have character issues and two of them, Smith and Johnson, have a high bust factor. Rey may never be a 3 down linebacker in this league. So yes, you got good value. However, picking players with major red flags over people who are just as good without those flags doesnt make sense to me.

RealityCheck
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
worst
1) Ravens

What? Oher at 23 is not good enough?

pr0d1gy
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Im a Ravens fan, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my critique of your draft. I agree, Maualuga was a good choice for where he was taken. That said, its the same old Bengals with the same old issues. I was more referring to the Andre Smith selection over Eugene Monroe with my response: that said, your top 3 guys all have character issues and two of them, Smith and Johnson, have a high bust factor. Rey may never be a 3 down linebacker in this league. So yes, you got good value. However, picking players with major red flags over people who are just as good without those flags doesnt make sense to me.

Nobody in this draft is "just as good" as Andre Smith. Not even Stafford and, again, I am a UGA alum/fan.

Johnson was the biggest risk, because if he lacks motivation he will not do what it takes to become a long term starting DE in the NFL.

Ray was a can't pass him up pick, because he is a football player and he will compete with anyone and they will know he hits hard. He could be the biggest surprise of the draft or a well wasted pick, but most likely he will be a Chris Claiborne type of guy in the NFL. Solid, sometimes great, and a decent career in the league.

ThePudge
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM

If I'm most teams, I may take Monroe. If I'm the Bengals or a team with a power running scheme, I go Andre Smith, the best pure lineman in college football a year ago and the best pure lineman in this draft on the field.

Monroe's injury concerns (knee) and questionable passion for the game are what caused his slide on draft day. He also is very average as a run blocker, whereas Smith is the best run blocker in this draft. Monroe's lack of a mean streak and passion for the game bugged OL coaches, notably when he could not tell Bengals OL coach Paul Alexander one active Offensive Tackle in the NFL. So I question your red flag statement as Monroe was not near as safe a pick at Left Tackle as some thought originally. With Levi Jones/Anthony Collins on the left side it is very conceivable that Andre Smith will be the Bengals Right Tackle.

You may say a RT is not worth a Top 10 pick but if any organization disagrees with you it'd be the Cincinnati Bengals who were unable to get a push in the run game a year ago from Stacy Andrews, who was virtually a sieve for pass rushers. The Bengals may also remember the decade of work that RT Willie Anderson did for the team after being drafted in the Top 10. Smith is a big, thick, versatile SEC lineman which the team is crazy about and he will be coached by Paul Alexander, one of the best OL coaches in football. Alexander specializes in this type of lineman and now inherits a player with a world of ability in Andre Smith.

Smith's a natural knee bender that had the run blocking ability, thickness, strength on the field, agility, and most importantly passion and will to dominate. Perhaps the most talented Bengals OL drafted since Willie Anderson or Anthony Munoz. I never really bought the character concerns either. He's a guy who made some bad decisions, took some bad advice, but will not deny that and owns up to the mistakes he made. Nick Saban endorsed Smith's character and it became pretty evident that he's a good kid that simply took some bad advice and didn't handle the process as well as he could have or should have.

...If he had worked out at the Combine in shape and played in the Sugar Bowl, we could be talking about Smith as the newest member of the St. Louis Rams. Don't forget before the "character issues" surfaced, most had Smith graded as a Top 3 pick. I, personally, had him at #1 for quite some time on my big board. There is some boom or bust potential and he's not as natural a Left Tackle as Monroe; however, the Bengals didn't seem to be in the market for a pure LT and ranked the bigger, stronger, more versatile OT (Smith) as the top lineman on their board.

It really comes down to schematic fit, fit with the coaches, and a degree of trust which I felt he deserved no matter where he went.

Chief49er
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion that you have no clue what in the hell you are talking about.

Crickett
04-27-2009, 03:38 PM
What? Oher at 23 is not good enough?

He's not Andre Smith.

YAYareaRB
04-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Michael Crabtree = Automatic A+ lol na jk but nice grades. I though we at least had a B

DiG
04-27-2009, 03:47 PM
is your skins grade based on the 'picks made' or includes the 'picks missed' (ie the 2nd for Taylor and 4th for Kendall). Because the Orakpo and Barnes picks alone were grade A material unless you are factoring the poor trades they made last year with their 2nd and 4th rounders. With that factored in a lower grade does make sense.