PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Detroit Media . . .

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I hate you.

5 Fingers of Death
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
They are thinking there is one way to make the rubick's cube right. They have a man crush on Rey Maualuga. Rey is decent but he has had injury problems, over runs the ball, isn't great on shedding blockers, get's off balance (see Nelson plant him to the ground), and has some character issues.

Pettigrew is the logical pick because he helps Stafford block and catch the ball. This will give Stafford a chance to succeed which allows the franchise to succeed in the future when the QB does not bust.

You can draft another linebacker next year in

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/28/282565.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/images/blogs/thequad/herzlich.JPG

in Mark Herzlich or Brandon Spikes who are just as tough and mean and also know how to really play linebacker well.

This is a good start. Not perfect but a good start.

Iamcanadian
04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Remember, for 7+ years they gave Millen A or A+'s. They have zero knowledge of the draft or what it takes to build a winner.

I believe I heard NFL Network crew mention some last minute injury concerns as the reason Rey fell.

nepg
04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Michael Oher was there... There's no excusing what a bad pick Pettigrew was with Oher there...

JJKID
04-27-2009, 10:03 AM
We Needed a Left Tackle and a Middle Linebacker, in true Lions form they pick up a TE. True the best in the draft but I believe he would have been there at 34. You spend all that money one a quarterback, show him and the fans you want him to succeed. Oher at 20, pettigrew at 34. Overall i give us a C+. When your 0-16 its tough to have a horrible draft. We needed everyone.

coordinator0
04-27-2009, 10:09 AM
We Needed a Left Tackle and a Middle Linebacker, in true Lions form they pick up a TE. True the best in the draft but I believe he would have been there at 34. You spend all that money one a quarterback, show him and the fans you want him to succeed. Oher at 20, pettigrew at 34. Overall i give us a C+. When your 0-16 its tough to have a horrible draft. We needed everyone.

HAHAHAHA, Pettigrew at 34. Ravens already said that we would have taken him at 26 if he were there, possibly making the same trade we did for Oher. I think Pettigrew is a solid pick for you guys, but getting a OG would have been good.

Brothgar
04-27-2009, 10:18 AM
The only thing they are stupid about what I've heard is the thought of Aaron Curry #1. The Lions played it safe by selecting Pettigrew over Oher there is no doubt about it. Oher has a very low floor due to the inconsistency and the learning disability. But he has a very very high ceiling as well could possibly be the #1 tackle out of this class. Mayock said it himself that the reason we passed on Rey is because Rey might be a two down LB which we can't have.

- All that whining about how the Lions so desperately needed a left tackle and about how they should take Jason Smith with the #1 overall pick then they pass on Michael Oher when he drops right into their laps? Now I like Brandon Pettigrew and they certainly needed a tight end but after just spending $72 million on Matthew Stafford why wouldn’t they jump at the chance to protect him like Atlanta did with Matt Ryan a year ago? I know Pettigrew will contribute as a blocker too I think this was a mistake. Oh, for all the talk about selecting Aaron Curry #1 and how middle linebacker was their biggest problem they also passed on both Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis here as well

Outstanding against the run and a great leader but passed on Maualuga / Laurinaitis.

I think the Lions went safe on these picks Pettigrew and Delmas have higher floors than Oher and Rey.

nepg
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
They really don't have higher floors...not even close.

Brothgar
04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
They really don't have higher floors...not even close.

Oher's floor is very low as I explained he has a learning disability has to be in a simple offense. And if scouts are right and Rey is a 2 down LB (which explains why he fell past the 2nd round) then he isn't right for this D.

P-L
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
The Lions philosophy was clearly to take the best player available with those first three picks. That is how the great teams draft. I know people thought middle linebacker and left tackle were bigger needs, but I'm still loving this draft. We just got the top quarterback, the top tight end, and the top safety.

The Rey Maualuga hype is sickening. I said a few weeks ago that he's a 2nd Round pick, and I guess [most] all of the NFL teams shared my opinion. There were multiple teams in the 12-37 range that needed middle linebackers and they all passed him. Denver passed on him three times; Cleveland twice; San Diego, Green Bay, Miami, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and New England all passed once. All of those teams could've used an upgrade at middle linebacker and none of them thought Maualuga was worth a pick that high.

Prowler
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
i believe in oher, but pettigrew and delmas are both safe and highly talented while being instant impact picks. our team leader only had 1 interception last year. pettigrew improves our red zone and short yardage abilities dramatically. oher is too inconstant right now. we can always get a 'once in a decade, franchise LT' next year anyway.

Halsey
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
A big reason people wanted Maualuga(sp?) over Delmas was name value. Maualuga was on TV a lot and Delmas wasn't. People weren't excited about Bob Sanders when he came out and didn't think he would be the face of a defense.

Prowler
04-27-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20090427/SPORTS01/904270330/1048
And it could have been crazier. Coach Jim Schwartz said the Lions were looking hard at Ohio State running back Beanie Wells, who fell to Arizona at 31st overall -- two picks before the Lions took Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas. The Lions' first three picks could have been offensive players, even though their defense has ranked last the past two seasons.
"Let me say this: Everybody we drafted we liked and we saw a role for, so it wasn't like we were just drafting blindly to take guys," Schwartz said. "But I thought we did a really good job of balancing high-rated players with how we were going to use them."

Two outside linebackers? Well, one will move to the middle, third-round pick DeAndre Levy of Wisconsin. Levy's only 236 pounds, but Schwartz pointed out legendary Baltimore middle linebacker Ray Lewis was 228 when he came out.

SINCE1978
04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
HAHAHAHA, Pettigrew at 34. Ravens already said that we would have taken him at 26 if he were there, possibly making the same trade we did for Oher. I think Pettigrew is a solid pick for you guys, but getting a OG would have been good.

When Philly traded up for Maclin at 19 I thought that was going to be a trade with us ... acquire another pick ... drop down ... but nope. Pettigrew is a solid player, no doubt ... time will tell if it equates in the NFL (he caught not 1 TD his senior year) but to me a TE is a later rd pick or a pick at that spot (top 25) for a team that is on the verge of the play offs or has some more established beef. That's all. A DT or LT or MLB with skills were all there.

We get SPIKES next year ... I'll take it baby!

WMD
04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
We get DUNLAP next year ... I'll take it baby!
Fixed. Hopefully DeAndre Levy works out for us in the middle.

I think we'll be picking too high for Brandon Spikes anyways.

Brodeur
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't really think MIKE was necessarily a bigger need than TE now that you think about it. Have you seen our TE's?

SINCE1978
04-27-2009, 06:01 PM
HA ...

Wow ... lofty amount of wins for us OR just really high on Spikes? He's a top 10 lock barring injury or amputation or ... well ... I guess that would be an injury? lol ;o)

4-12 to 6-10 records get us approx. #6-#9 range ...

I'm not as hopeful on the Levy switch-er-oo ... Schwartz dropped a Ray Lewis comparison which made me chuckle when I read it today. "Ray Lewis was only 228 lbs when he came out of Miami." In defense of said LB Levy. WHHHHHAAAT???

Prowler
04-27-2009, 06:05 PM
with amputation he's still a first rounder

SINCE1978
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't really think MIKE was necessarily a bigger need than TE now that you think about it. Have you seen our TE's?

Yeah TE has been a mess for us for years ... I just thought there was some solid 3rd 4th round guys (Casey/Coffman/Ingram/Nelson) at that position. Pettigrew is a fantastic talent no question.

I wonder what we did not see in Dannell Elerbee (sp?) and Darry Beckwith with our 14th 7th round pick (jk) where we took TE #2 vs. 2 SEC veterans that are natural MLB's? Maybe Jordan Dizon has made some sophmore year strides that he's hiding from us!

(wishful thinking)

SINCE1978
04-27-2009, 06:10 PM
with amputation he's still a first rounder

He could be an even better blocker using that arm as a club ... catching might be tricky though.:rolleyes:

Splat
04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't like that Det passed on Michael Oher at #20 other then that I think Det had a pretty good draft on paper at least kinda point less to grade it yet.

WMD
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that was a questionable statement by Schwartz. He's just saying that weight shouldn't really hold back someone though..

I think we'll get between 2 and 4 wins this year. Spikes is awesome but he does have some speed concerns. Not to mention, MLB's generally aren't taken high. In the last 10 years I think the earliest a MLB has been taken is Brian Urlacher at #9.

Not saying it won't happen though.

El Peefs?????
04-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I just consider a 1st round TE a luxury pick. When you already have a decent to good team without a lot of glaring holes to fill, you can go ahead and spend a premium pick on a TE.

Everyone keeps saying Oher, but he isnt the Ole Miss linemen I wanted. Our DL is awful & weve actually gotten worse there since the end of last season. I liked the Sammie Lee Hill pick a lot, but best case scenario is he contributes a few years down the road after a lot of development.

I just really dislike the Pettigrew pick. People are overvaluing his importance as a blocker, imo. Dan Campbell was a very good blocking TE, how much did that help our run game? And the TE isn't going to be staying in pass coverage very often so it still does little to help keep our QB off his ass.

People are using the 'BPA' argument and I don't buy it. Stafford was almost no ones BPA in this draft. If we were drafting pure BPA I don't see Stafford being our 1st selection.

Brodeur
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Almost no ones BPA? Stafford was at least half of the draft expert's BPA.

El Peefs?????
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Almost no ones BPA? Stafford was at least half of the draft expert's BPA.

Which draft experts are these? because he certainly wasnt the BPA of anyone covering the draft on TV (espn/nfln).

Hell, Ive seen a lot of 'draft experts' saying they believe Sanchez will be a better NFL QB compared to Stafford.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Which draft experts are these? because he certainly wasnt the BPA of anyone covering the draft on TV (espn/nfln).

Hell, Ive seen a lot of 'draft experts' saying they believe Sanchez will be a better NFL QB compared to Stafford.

#1 overall is a different circumstance. You take the BPA that you also feel comfortable taking. He was undoubtedly a top 3 talent, and the order in which they ranked is interchangable.

The rest of the draft was, for the most part, BPA.

I agree that TE is a luxury pick, but his value was there regardless, and he'll help Stafford as much as a Left Tackle.

And you can't cite Dan Campbell's blocking skills. He was NEVER on the the field. Always hurt.

El Peefs?????
04-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I dont think that there is any way Pettigrew will help the QB out as much as a very good LT would; unless your QB is Joey Harrington and he throws the ball to his check down option every play. There are clearly debates on if we could have gotten a very good LT at 20, Oher has plenty of question marks. I still would have preferred Peria over Michael & Brandon.

And your comment about #1 I think helps my point Xio. You don't draft purely on BPA, there are always circumstances.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I dont think that there is any way Pettigrew will help the QB out as much as a very good LT would; unless your QB is Joey Harrington and he throws the ball to his check down option every play. There are clearly debates on if we could have gotten a very good LT at 20, Oher has plenty of question marks. I still would have preferred Peria over Michael & Brandon.

And your comment about #1 I think helps my point Xio. You don't draft purely on BPA, there are always circumstances.

Generally speaking, a top Left Tackle is infinitely more valuable than a top TE.

BUT . . .

Given the Lions roster, the immediate upgrade of Pettigrew over Will Heller (?) is greater than the upgrade of Michael Oher over Jeff Backus (though I am sure Backus haters will unreasonably disagree).

The fact that we didn't get a Left Guard upgrade really sucks, but a Tight End upgrade helps Stafford (and Daunte) more than you think.

El Peefs?????
04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
But honestly, how good do you really think Pettigrew can be? You said yourself before the draft that you had never been impressed with him. Hes a lumbering TE who can make some plays for you in the short passing game. But would probably be more useful for us in protect schemes double teaming DE's who are beating up on our tackles.

Though I bet he is a better C than Dominic Raiola. In my opinion, Raiola doesnt get nearly enough hate~ He seemingly gets tossed aside or just driven into the backfield every play by opposing DT's.

Aard
04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I just consider a 1st round TE a luxury pick. When you already have a decent to good team without a lot of glaring holes to fill, you can go ahead and spend a premium pick on a TE.

Y'know, I've heard this so often since Saturday that I'm beginning to hear it for the insult it is.

"The Detroit Lions should know their place. Who do they think they are, drafting the best player on the board? Only good teams should do that. Damn those uppity Lions, acting like they're entitled to draft the most talented athletes available."

Frankly, it's starting to make me mad. We drafted some good players -- get used to it.

Xiomera
04-28-2009, 08:53 PM
That's the opposite of smart. When every position is a need, that's when you go BPA.

If you only need a Left Tackle, you don't take safeties and quarterbacks.

DUH!

Aard
04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
The fact that we didn't get a Left Guard upgrade really sucks, but a Tight End upgrade helps Stafford (and Daunte) more than you think.

I wonder:

Let's say Pettigrew was already off the board at #20 but Michael Oher was still there -- would the Lions have drafted Oher then? Or would they have drafted a defensive player like Peria Jerry, or Ziggy Hood, or even Louis Delmas at #20?

Xiomera
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I wonder:

Let's say Pettigrew was already off the board at #20 but Michael Oher was still there -- would the Lions have drafted Oher then? Or would they have drafted a defensive player like Peria Jerry, or Ziggy Hood, or even Louis Delmas at #20?

Probably Jerry. I bet Ziggy Hood would have been the selection at 33 if he had lasted just one pick longer.

WMD
04-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I wonder:

Here's what I wonder:

If Philly trades up and drafts Pettigrew.. Lions were drafting BPA, do you think they would have taken Jeremy Maclin?

Xiomera
04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Here's what I wonder:

If Philly trades up and drafts Pettigrew.. Lions were drafting BPA, do you think they would have taken Jeremy Maclin?

No ******* way.

bigredballer
04-28-2009, 10:59 PM
No ******* way.

Why not? We took Derrick Williams for punt and kick returns. :D

But seriously, I agree... no way

Prowler
04-29-2009, 05:48 AM
not this year, but only because they would have been murdered with a headline of ''lions draft another first round WR." next year would be different though.

georgiafan
04-29-2009, 07:40 AM
I do think it's funny that the media already has Stafford as a bust and Sanchez in the hall of fame.

Prowler
04-29-2009, 07:49 AM
it's pretty much just irrational superstition, or some kind of mental gymnastic guess made by hurt people.

Scotty D
04-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Probably Jerry. I bet Ziggy Hood would have been the selection at 33 if he had lasted just one pick longer.

Did you read the story about how we had a deal in place with the Giants for Maclin? Now we move down to 29 and pick up a nice haul of picks. I would guarantee we draft Ziggy Hood there and then Delmas at 33!

Prowler
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/sammie_lee_hill_another_fourth.html

**** you killer. he's a fourth round small school developmental project. get something else to write about and stop generalizing. our other 4th round picks were just stupid, this has a purpose. i don't want to see the word 'bust' associated with any of our draft picks yet. its unfair pressure and just not something these picks should have in the back of their minds.

D-Unit
04-29-2009, 07:33 PM
D-Will, Xio. Did that bite you in the ass or what??? I was laughing so hard when you guys took him. I wish you were around.

Xio, why the change of heart on liking Pettigrew over Oher? I remember how pissed your were. F this, F that, F U.... Is it simply because he is a Lion now?

I'm with Peefs on that one... I never was high on Pettigrew and that was not even a luxury pick. It was a bad pick. Don't think you guys come away luxurious there. I mean the guy didn't even catch 1 touchdown in his senior season. The TEs in this class were horrendous. He's the worst #1 TE in years.

Delmas was a pretty good pick though. I don't think he is a dark horse for DROY, just because I don't see your defense improving enough for him to get attention. You might have something there though. Anxious to see him against top competition. He's a guy I would've wanted in Dallas.

Brodeur
04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
**** Killer, Sammie Lee Hill is a hero.

Xiomera
04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
D-Will, Xio. Did that bite you in the ass or what??? I was laughing so hard when you guys took him. I wish you were around.

Xio, why the change of heart on liking Pettigrew over Oher? I remember how pissed your were. F this, F that, F U.... Is it simply because he is a Lion now?

I'm with Peefs on that one... I never was high on Pettigrew and that was not even a luxury pick. It was a bad pick. Don't think you guys come away luxurious there. I mean the guy didn't even catch 1 touchdown in his senior season. The TEs in this class were horrendous. He's the worst #1 TE in years.

Delmas was a pretty good pick though. I don't think he is a dark horse for DROY, just because I don't see your defense improving enough for him to get attention. You might have something there though. Anxious to see him against top competition. He's a guy I would've wanted in Dallas.

I'm not 'happy' about the Pettigrew pick. He wasn't my first or second choice there, but I do understand the pick. Mayhew was going BPA. I should have known.

Immediate reactions are just that . . . immediate, and not well thought through. I'd still probably rather have Oher, but Jerry was my first pick there. Anything else is the same.

I don't hate the Derrick Williams pick. He wouldn't even have been a bad pick for Dallas. I just knew you hated the pick so I ran with it. The Lions needed a KR and a WR. No big deal there.

TheDoctor8
04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
I do think it's funny that the media already has Stafford as a bust and Sanchez in the hall of fame.

That has been hilarious. Somehow everyone believes that Sanchez is ready to come in and start in the NFL right now. Regardless of how good the rest of his team is he will be a rookie QB facing Belichick's defense.

D-Unit
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm not 'happy' about the Pettigrew pick. He wasn't my first or second choice there, but I do understand the pick. Mayhew was going BPA. I should have known.

Immediate reactions are just that . . . immediate, and not well thought through. I'd still probably rather have Oher, but Jerry was my first pick there. Anything else is the same.

I don't hate the Derrick Williams pick. He wouldn't even have been a bad pick for Dallas. I just knew you hated the pick so I ran with it. The Lions needed a KR and a WR. No big deal there.
Ya riight! You HATE D-Will!!! hahahahahhahahaha!!!! Don't deny it now!!! hahahahhahahaha!!!!

It's amazing how we can convince ourselves how great our team drafted after our first instincts tell us how crappy it was, huh? For the love of homerism....

Xiomera
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Ya riight! You HATE D-Will!!! hahahahahhahahaha!!!! Don't deny it now!!! hahahahhahahaha!!!!

It's amazing how we can convince ourselves how great our team drafted after our first instincts tell us how crappy it was, huh? For the love of homerism....

Unless any of us Lions fans went into the draft with the expectation that we could fill our need at QB, WR, TE, LT, LG, DE, DT, MLB, CB, and S, then it's insane for you to suggest we're homers for the fact that we're content with just filling half of those needs.

I have no problem with the Derrick Williams pick. He was one of the best KR/PR guys in the draft, and can contribute as a Wideout too.

I wasn't in love with any of the guys who were on the board on the second day.