PDA

View Full Version : Please help me push Follett for MLB

5 Fingers of Death
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
This kid can really play.

Follett's last game:

9 tackles, 4 for loss, 2 sacks, 1 pass deflection, 1 force fumble, 1 qb hurry.

He's not a Speilman. He's more like a kamikaze pilot.

This is a white kid who is an absolute beast. He is crazy. Follett is by far the steal of the draft. I hope he comes into training camp and throws down. He will light up defenders like you've never seen. He sacrifices his body with reckless abandon. His closing speed to the tackle is what separates him from a guy like Laurainitis. The desire to get that tackle or make that big play is what he offers.

If i was in Detroit not California, I would chant and make signs for Follett for middle linebackers during preseason games. He for sure has too much talent to not make this team. He was projected to go in the third round. I watched him in the Emerald Bowl and he played really well. So anybody going to the preseason games, make a sign for me. With Hill, Follett, maybe Levy, and Delmas we have some more talent on defense.

I just wanted to add. Curry ran a 4.5 and Follett ran a 4.7. 0.2 second means little to me. It's how you recognize plays. It's your heart and desire to lay it all out on a line that you can't measure with a watch. I frankly would rather have Curry, but if this kid can bring some fire and leadership into the field, that 4.7 time won't mean too much when the Lions can get a W.

wicket
04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
i agree i really hoped he would go undrafted to the saints

Geo
04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Follett is at his best when he's going straight ahead. So if he has the strength to play MLB, maybe it can work out well.

noondog
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm definitely right there with you. I love Follett and I agree that he may be the steal of the draft. I think that Schwartz and Cunningham are going to fall in love with him too.

With him at MLB and Sims/Peterson on the outside, the Lions would have crazy closing speed at LB.

I only hope that he can add 15-20 lbs because he will be eaten up at the LOS at times if he plays at his current weight.

5 Fingers of Death
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
If you add 8 pounds of muscle on him. Have Spielman coach him up. Tell him to rein it in a little. Read the quarterback and running backs eyes. Recognize offensive schemes better. He may have a chance.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
he'll play in the league for 3 years as a special teams contributor.

5 Fingers of Death
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
he'll play in the league for 3 years as a special teams contributor.

We agree to disagree. How does a guy who is third in the nation in tackles for loss, 87 tackles (58 solo, 29 assisted), 25 tackles for loss (that is huge), 11 sacks, 5 counting them 5 force fumbles, plays in one of the best conferences in the country next to SEC become a special team contributor?

5 Fingers of Death
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
You know why? He's white and runs 4.7.

P-L
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Follett or Levy could be Schwartz's Stephen Tulloch. As Tennessee proved last year, you don't need a star middle linebacker to build a great defense.

Calvin & Kevin
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
5 fingers you keep repeating that he's white like that has anything to do with anything.

If he can play, he will play. I think at this point he's a pretty good bet to make the team as a ST guy since he's super aggressive and straight-line fast. Also he could get in there as an OLB when we go to a 3-4 on passing downs as Schwartz has hinted we will.

But as an every-down NFL middle linebacker he would have a ton more responsibilities than just running from point A to point B and laying the smack down. Coverage, reading keys, calling signals, etc.

He's got a lot to learn and a lot to prove before he could get handed all that. I'm rooting for him because yeah he's super intense and a big hitter, but this is a guy with a long way to go.

Aard
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
It's a wash, draftwise, for Detroit in the LB department. The Lions reached to take Levy in the middle of the third round, and stole Follett in the seventh. NFLDraftCountdown has them rated right next to each other in the OLB rankings.

Let's let training camp and pre-season scrimmages determine which of them anchors the defensive backfield next season. Could be an interesting battle to watch.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
It's a wash, draftwise, for Detroit in the LB department. The Lions reached to take Levy in the middle of the third round, and stole Follett in the seventh. NFLDraftCountdown has them rated right next to each other in the OLB rankings.

Let's let training camp and pre-season scrimmages determine which of them anchors the defensive backfield next season. Could be an interesting battle to watch.

I personally hope we start Follett as our MLB. I've heard nothing but good things and he has tremendous heart. Im not liking the Levy pick at all, i think we should have drafted Brinkley whos a proven beast at MLB. Levy seems like one of those undersized linebackers who can't tackle but hes out there because of pure speed (Boss Bailey anyone?)

TheDoctor8
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I personally hope we start Follett as our MLB. I've heard nothing but good things and he has tremendous heart. Im not liking the Levy pick at all, i think we should have drafted Brinkley whos a proven beast at MLB. Levy seems like one of those undersized linebackers who can't tackle but hes out there because of pure speed (Boss Bailey anyone?)

I love how you have named all these prospects that would have helped the Gunther/Schwartz defense. Are you telling me that you understand the scheme and know who fits that defense better than those two??? They have worked together and hell, Gunther coached the linebackers at Tennessee under Jim. So when you say that Brinkley is a proven beast you must say that you are seeing something that these two don't, which I really doubt.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I love how you have named all these prospects that would have helped the Gunther/Schwartz defense. Are you telling me that you understand the scheme and know who fits that defense better than those two??? They have worked together and hell, Gunther coached the linebackers at Tennessee under Jim. So when you say that Brinkley is a proven beast you must say that you are seeing something that these two don't, which I really doubt.

we'll see.

SINCE1978
04-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I call man crush on 5 fingers of death ;o)
Didn't Follett lead the PAC 10 in tackles last year? I also believe he started out as a MLB at Cal as well? Clearly I liked him leading up to this draft myself and had a much higher grade on him but after the Peterson signing stopped addressing OLB's for picks with all the other holes.

You're on to something ... It would be an awesome story for a Detroit Lion's 7th rounder to be a contributor. I'm cheering for him.

ESPforMe
04-27-2009, 06:22 PM
I call man crush on 5 fingers of death ;o)
Didn't Follett lead the PAC 10 in tackles last year? I also believe he started out as a MLB at Cal as well? Clearly I liked him leading up to this draft myself and had a much higher grade on him but after the Peterson signing stopped addressing OLB's for picks with all the other holes.

You're on to something ... It would be an awesome story for a Detroit Lion's 7th rounder to be a contributor. I'm cheering for him.

Absolutely. I think Follett could do it too. At least a good ST guy.

Prowler
04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2009/04/zack_follett_to_nfl_teams_who.html

On the teams who passed on him
"They're gonna pay for it," says Follett. "I'm gonna go out there and hit their players and take them out of the game.
"But I'm excited. They're going to give me a good shot over at the Lions. They're the ones who put their neck out and drafted me."

It's good to have someone who wants to prove something. And furthermore embraces the opportunity as a challenge to overcome rather than a negative experience.

"I try my best to keep my head up and stuff like that," he says. "But it's bred in me. You guys kinda see how I play. When I see somebody with the ball, if I get a chance to hit somebody as hard as I can, I'm gonna do it."

noondog
04-29-2009, 12:40 PM
What a dude this kid is. Great attitude. Love it.

bendert58
04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
These are the type of players the Lions need. Even if he is only a special teamer, its this kind of attitude that we need to become a respectable team. He'll be a blue collar guy in a blue collar city.

GB12
04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
You know why? He's white and runs 4.7.
Dude he's a linebacker. There are a lot of white LBs and 4.7 is plenty fast for the position.

StorminNorman
04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I love Zack Follett - I have been man crushing on this guy for a month before the draft.

The only reason he fell this low was because of surgically repaired shoulders - but considering his production, his work ethic, his attitude, he should be able to make the roster and help this team.

Ideally Foote will be our starting Mike backer so Cunningham can coach up Levy and Follett. I would prefer Levy being groomed as our Sam than a middle backer.

Scotty D
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I love Zack Follett - I have been man crushing on this guy for a month before the draft.

The only reason he fell this low was because of surgically repaired shoulders - but considering his production, his work ethic, his attitude, he should be able to make the roster and help this team.

Ideally Foote will be our starting Mike backer so Cunningham can coach up Levy and Follett. I would prefer Levy being groomed as our Sam than a middle backer.

Could Levy play WLB? Just wondering...

StorminNorman
04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Could Levy play WLB? Just wondering...

Levy's best position day one will likely be WLB.

TitanHope
04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
The Titans starting LB's last season:

WLB David Thornton - 225 lbs.
MLB Stephen Tulloch - 235 lbs.
SLB Keith Bulluck - 235 lbs.

I like Levy in the Tulloch role, like P-L said, with Follett in the Fowler role. Naturally, Foote would be ideal for ya'll. A vet from a winning franchise and the mentality he brings would be good in establishing a winning attitude.