PDA

View Full Version : Draft Coverage thoughts

drowe
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
thought it'd be good to have a thread for the TV coverage of the draft...since we all probably spent 16 hours in front of a TV this weekend.

-Good job by ESPN getting a camera crew at so many prospects house. I was really impressed with how many live reactions they caught. 9 people in the green room and cameras all over the country. most 1st round picks were on TV.

-Bad job by ESPN picking second day locations. Quan Cosby and Brian Hoyer. ouch. the Quan Cosby thing just got painful because Bill Cosby just made every comment awkward. Erin Andrews looked like she would rather be anywhere else in the world.

-And, WTF was up with Brian Hoyer and Reebok. Reebok must've given him some money to display their logo or something. he wasn't shy about it. I spotted 3 different instances of this.
1-at one point, he noticed he was on TV, so he sat up straight and un-wrinkled his Reebok t-shirt.
2-Cameras on him again, and he announces that he was bored, so he "went and put on another Reebok shirt."
3-In this same instance, he said his house was hot, so he changed, but it really looked like he just put another reebok t-shirt over the original one. interesting way of dealing with the heat.

-That commercial where the dude says "steroids are as American as apple pie" made me want to throw my dog at my TV every time I saw it.

-LOL at the Cowyboys bias. ESPN practically had streamers and balloons ready when the Cowboys made their first pick in round 3...immediately after the Bears unceremoniously made their first pick.

-Where was Todd McShay all weekend??? they kept referring to him as being in an undisclosed location..but, I was confused as to where he really was. Not that I care. that guy sucks.

cdub11
04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
If Kiper was not on ESPN I wouldnt watch them at all

Matthew Jones
04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
What did your dog do to deserve your wrath? :(

Gay Ork Wang
04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
what i noticed:

NFLN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ESPN

and Charles Davis annoys me more than Jamie Dukes.

I also missed Adam Schefter

The_Dude
04-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Trey Wingo was a million times better than Chris Berman at filling time and leading the discussion.

bored of education
04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Trey Wingo was a million times better than Chris Berman at filling time and leading the discussion.

YEs he did better but he had some terrible jokes.

that guys biceps are kinda big. lol @ steroids are as american as apple pie hahaha

drowe
04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
What did your dog do to deserve your wrath? :(

nothing. just usually was in arm's reach and the sick side of me has always wondered how far i could throw her.

FlyingElvis
04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I <3 Jon Gruden. Some network better have him on set all season.

Cunningham
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
i think espn needs to make some changes for next year's coverage. they should limit the number of former players at the main table to one. i think it was keyshawn and steve young that were there on the first day and neither really offered anything insightful. young inparticular was annoying because he was sucking off sanchez the whole time.

they should also replace berman with wingo and mort with shefter. those two get by on name recognition alone and really had trouble constructing sentences that were complete and coherent. i thought it was funny that mcshay didn't make an appearance until they were a few hours into the first round, yet they would put up his draft grades along with kiper's.

CashmoneyDrew
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM
God. Next year ESPN should get a larger rotation of commercials. I swear I saw the same 10 over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over apple pie and over and over and over and over and over and over.

M.O.T.H.
04-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Espn needs to focus more on the 2nd day picks. Like 10 picks go by and they'll highlight say one guy and talk about him for a good 5 seconds. I honestly dont want to hear about the top 5 guys for the duration of the 2nd day. They always show clips of the Brady's and Davis' of the world and yet they dont even focus on these later guys. Pretty annoying. It actually used to be better...but now all they care about is re-hashing the 1st round for multiple hours. You can do that when the draft is over, imo.

Gay Ork Wang
04-27-2009, 01:19 PM
God. Next year ESPN should get a larger rotation of commercials. I swear I saw the same 10 over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over apple pie and over and over and over and over and over and over.

i found it!!!

ATLDirtyBirds
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Also, stop ruining picks. I want to hear the commish and be surprised. I don't want to see a guy on the phone or celebrating before the pick comes up.

Scott Wright
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I watched ESPN and this might have been the last year. I thought their coverage was horrible. Steve Young, Keyshawn Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Cris Carter... YUCK.

I have the NFL Network coverage TiVo'ed so I am going to watch that (yes, I am that big of a draft dork) to see how it compares.

FlyingElvis
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I watched ESPN and this might have been the last year. I thought their coverage was horrible. Steve Young, Keyshawn Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Cris Carter... YUCK.

I have the NFL Network coverage TiVo'ed so I am going to watch that (yes, I am that big of a draft dork) to see how it compares.

In your defense: it has kind of worked out for you.

M.O.T.H.
04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Geez...Chris Berman was killing me. Dropping his subtle hints and saying that this is what he thinks and in my opinion they should do this blah, blah, blah...only after someone told him the pick before it was announced. Puhlease. I'm so happy that we dont have to deal with his crap on day 2. I bet his collegues or co-workers, whatever you want to call them, hate him.

MetSox17
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I thought ESPN's coverage was disgusting. It was trash in every way, and the only thing that slightly salvaged it was Kiper giving some good insight. Chris Carter and Herm Edwards both sound illiterate, and Berman is damn annoying.

The constant slobbering over Stafford and the Lions was too much for me to handle. After the third round i just used the live tracker on nfl.com

Im_a_Romosexual
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I was pissed at:

Chris Carter, Trey Wingo, Chris Berman, Bill Cosby, Trent Dilfer, Steve Young, the same commercials.

:/ at least they had Kiper

Paul
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Berman has pretty much become a caricature of himself, and it's a pretty annoying and unfunny one. I think he genuinely believes his puns are clever and witty, which is pretty sad. Thank god for NFLN.

The Unseen
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
I also <3 Jon Gruden, with his sexy haircut.

Herm Edwards was a bit disappointing.

NFLN was better than ESPN, yes.

Notredameleo
04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I thought ESPN's coverage was disgusting. It was trash in every way, and the only thing that slightly salvaged it was Kiper giving some good insight. Chris Carter and Herm Edwards both sound illiterate, and Berman is damn annoying.

The constant slobbering over Stafford and the Lions was too much for me to handle. After the third round i just used the live tracker on nfl.com

Slobbering over stafford? really? Stafford hardly got any attention whatsoever. Which coverage were you watching? Mark Sanchez got ALL of the face time on espn....lol

Crickett
04-27-2009, 02:18 PM

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/i/iw/iwanbeijes/818406_hypodermic_syringe_and_needle.jpg = http://tiger.towson.edu/users/mhirak1/caramel_apple_pie.jpg

bantx
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
One huge + this year was Keyshawn barely talked at all.

NYGibril28
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Kiper was the only reason I watched ESPN. I don't like Mariucci or Mayock so I couldn't watch NFLN.

I also wish they would actually focus on Day 2, and not just recap Day 1. I like hearing about small school sleepers in more than 10 second descriptions.

FlyingElvis
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
NFLN was hysterical towards the end. Rich & Gruden were awesome, and the tech team was even pulling and showing footage draftees all the way through 7 rounds. Rich was even making a joke about it thinking there would be no tape for some of the players - and then was shocked and laughing saying "Wow! We even have spot-shadows??"

Good stuff. **** ESPN. Just sign Mel to NFLN and let him and Mayock battle it out. At some point we have to assume the NFL will nix ESPN's ticket to the draft in favor of their own network, anyway.

Give me lots of Eisen, Gruden & Billick. I'll suffer through Davis & Dukes. Mayock is ok with me - but Mel would be nice, too.

cdub11
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Espn needs to focus more on the 2nd day picks. Like 10 picks go by and they'll highlight say one guy and talk about him for a good 5 seconds. I honestly dont want to hear about the top 5 guys for the duration of the 2nd day. They always show clips of the Brady's and Davis' of the world and yet they dont even focus on these later guys. Pretty annoying. It actually used to be better...but now all they care about is re-hashing the 1st round for multiple hours. You can do that when the draft is over, imo.

you are correct, the day 2 coverage is terrible

sweetness34
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
What if NFLN tried to snag Kiper? Mayock+ Kiper = epic. I would love to see those two go at it.

04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
The NFLN coverage on the second day was pretty kickass. I had the chance to see the first round of ESPN coverage in Canada so I decided to give it a shot, but it honestly almost put me to sleep. I'll take the NFLN experts over their guys any day. I love Mel, of course, but Mayock is currently the best in the business and I think he proved it again with another tremendous weekend. I'm glad I missed out on the ESPN day two coverage after what you guys said, interviewing Hoyer and Cosby to fill up some time? Wow. I could only imagine how pissed I'd be seeing them neglect the majority of those second day guys.

Gay Ork Wang
04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
well NFLN had a lot of commercials which was annoying and they had some weird Draft reviews of 99 01 and so on

Beans
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
i dont usually mind espn, but i admit that their coverage was awful this year

they just kept talking while the commissioner was announcing the picks

next year ill just watch nfOH WAIT COMCAST LOL

YAYareaRB
04-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Did you guys notice on day 1 that when ESPN went on commercial.. So did NFLN.

niel89
04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I was in the opening pan on ESPN. ballin.

Geo
04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I had one major problem with NFL Network, moreso on Day Two: their draft ticker was a major letdown. There were commercials galore but their ticker doesn't provide the pick live, like ESPN does. So a good amount of the time I ended up flipping to ESPN when picks were about to be made on Sunday because of that.

But other than that, NFLN all the way. I can't stand anyone at ESPN. I mean I always enjoy hearing Steve Young talk about football, but he knows **** about the Draft and the prospects.

Also yes, Trey Wingo is a thousand times better than Berman. I hate Berman and can't wait until he's no longer on ESPN.

Geo
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Also NFL Network played their damn intro song way too much, that crap was just as annoying as the steroids/apple pie commercial that is still stuck in my head.

tjsunstein
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Eisen, and Scheftler should make their own network and broadcast the draft.

Splat
04-27-2009, 04:37 PM
ESPN day 1 :)

ESPN day 2 :(

Paul
04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I had one major problem with NFL Network, moreso on Day Two: their draft ticker was a major letdown. There were commercials galore but their ticker doesn't provide the pick live, like ESPN does. So a good amount of the time I ended up flipping to ESPN when picks were about to be made on Sunday because of that.

Fully agree. I did the exact same thing. I even had the NFL site up with the draft tracker to keep me updated.

Caddy
04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
The NFL.com for me didn't work so I'd say that was a major let down.

tjsunstein
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I completely abadoned my laptop the second day because I was that lazy. I really wish I hadn't.

WMD
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
ESPN annoyed me greatly. I usually don't get annoyed, but you'd think Sanchez was the greatest prospect ever. They would not shut up about him.

I also grew tired of them spoiling every single pick. I wish they would've interviewed more prospects between picks rather than talking about the same crap over and over.

Their graphics sucked this year and they talked way way too much.

yodabear
04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
ESPN 1: Hard on for Mark Sanchez, and yes good god, the Apple pie commercial, that was annoying as ****. As well as Berman, I have hated him forever.

ESPN 2: Hard on for the Patriots. I dislike Trey Wingo too, but at least he ain't Berman. And yes, still thhe American Pie commercial. Had to flip it over to the NFLN eventually midway through day 2 when Trent Dilfer cummed right in his pants on TV over the Pats.

yodabear
04-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah, and draft grades, Pete Prisco on CBSSports.com is awful. Some of the worst I have ever seen. Detroit an A? Pettigrew being their best pick? San Fran with a C- cuz they took Crabtree? And then the fricking Raiders pick of DHB was a great, correct pick, LOL.

the decider13
04-27-2009, 11:23 PM
ESPN annoyed me greatly. I usually don't get annoyed, but you'd think Sanchez was the greatest prospect ever. They would not shut up about him.

I also grew tired of them spoiling every single pick. I wish they would've interviewed more prospects between picks rather than talking about the same crap over and over.

Their graphics sucked this year and they talked way way too much.

If someone started watching the draft and knew nothing about it, they would have thought it was all for Sanchez. They were calling it the Mark Sanchez lottery. It was out of control

yodabear
04-27-2009, 11:26 PM
And most annoying goes to Steve Young. At times I thought he was gonna tell the Vikes to take Steven McGie #22 overall because they don't got a franchise QB, and all that don't have one should take one in round 1.

7-11
04-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Only coverage we get is ESPN. The coverage finished at about pick 55 on day 1 to go to the American Tractor Pulling Championships....was heaps happy about that.

http://www.downhomecountryweekend.com/2005/Images/tpTractor1.jpg

yay...

Didn't even get any sort of coverage on day 2

fischbowl
04-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I swear if I hear "Live Yo Life" over the next week, my head may explode.

Crickett
04-28-2009, 01:11 AM
I swear if I hear "Live Yo Life" over the next week, my head may explode.

I think next year they should go with the numa numa song. Which I'm sure had no influence on life yo life whatsoever. Apple pie.

TCU
04-28-2009, 01:15 AM
espn did/ is doing a great job in covering mark sanchez it seemed like that he was the only player drafted this year.

JHG722
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
the Quan Cosby thing just got painful because Bill Cosby just made every comment awkward.

I know most people didn't like it, but it was great, because it was free marketing for my school. Any time Temple football gets national coverage it's a good thing.