PDA

View Full Version : Wells being the 3rd RB taken had a lot to do with passing game contributions

Halsey
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
People wondering why Wells fell all the way to pick 31, while Moreno and Brown went higher point to durability and toughness questions, but I think the fact that Moreno and Brown are considered better pass blockers and receivers had more to do with it. It seems to me that those skills for RB's are more important than ever. Pass blocking ability is an especially underrated facet of a RB's game by many fans.

bored of education
04-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I heard someone say from the Cards originazation that they like him a lot catching out of the backfield and that he just was never utilized to do so in college.

fenikz
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I heard someone say from the Cards originazation that they like him a lot catching out of the backfield and that he just was never utilized to do so in college.

this is true, he apparently blew everyone at his pro day away with his receiving skills and then once again in a personal work out, he fell for no real reason other then people not needing a RB, biggest steal of the draft

Crickett
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Quick reminder

DeAngelo Williams was drafted after Laurence Maroney and Joseph Addai even thought he was projected to be the second RB taken by many (Reggie Bush being the first) that year.

bored of education
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
this is true, he apparently blew everyone at his pro day

umm what ;)

Mr. Hero
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
umm what ;)

He had to have known the slide was coming and have tried to prevent it.

hockey619
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
He had to have known the slide was coming and have tried to prevent it.

Or he maybe he didnt do a good job and scouts took offense...

Staubach12
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I called Wells' fall. His breakaway speed doesn't match up with that of Moreno or Brown on tape. I know Moreno isn't exactly a burner, but he is faster on the field than Wells. Other than that, it was a matter of no real need for a RB by any team there. Good running backs are not difficult to find these days.

niel89
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Or he maybe he didnt do a good job and scouts took offense...

"Wells had a tough time going deep at his pro-day, that really turned off quite a few scouts."

AussieBoy
04-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I'll still take him!

Leave the catching to Fitz, Q, Steve. Edge only had 12 receptions last season anyway, mostly on that awful screen play. Hightower had 34 in the same amount of starts.

We will miss Edge's pass blocking though. It was one of the real strengths of his game at this point in his career.

Shane P. Hallam
04-28-2009, 07:23 AM
The Buckeyes don't have their backs catch, plain and simple. I doubt he can catch it out of the backfield too well, but no one really knows. Even so, Moreno and Brown were easily superior pass catchers, so it did contribute. I also wonder how his pass blocking will be. There were times at OSU when he looked pretty civilian blocking.

no love
04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Here's the thing, Wells was the third RB simply bc he wasn't a great fit for the other two teams. Both McDaniels and Polian are big system guys. They pick players that fit their system, not just any RB who has loads of talent.

duckseason
04-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Here's the thing, Wells was the third RB simply bc he wasn't a great fit for the other two teams. Both McDaniels and Polian are big system guys. They pick players that fit their system, not just any RB who has loads of talent.
I agree that this is what it boils down to. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about how people get stuck ranking players based on how high they went in the draft. As if being selected a few spots ahead of another player is evidence of perceived superiority in the collective consciousness of those whose opinions matter. As if it were only one brain trust making the decisions for the entire NFL.

You shuffle the draft order around, and the order in which the players fall off the board will shuffle accordingly. There are some teams who just don't want player A, regardless of how highly some of us might rank him.

I find that people often do this same thing with stats. Thinking that whichever defense gave up the most yards is the worst defense. Whichever RB rushed for the most yards was the best RB, etc.

You can damn near take a look at what the general public believes about a given topic in sports, side with the opposite, and be right (assuming there is such a thing) 90% of the time. But you will be seen as crazy, because everybody knows THAT. It's inarguable, you fool. LOOK AT THE STATS!

Vince Young being selected 3rd overall is proof that he is superior to Jay Cutler in every way. Does anybody believe that Vince Young would have been the 3rd overall pick if Denver had been the team on the clock at that point? 1/32 of the league made that pick, so it might be wise to put a similarly minuscule amount of weight behind the thought that it meant he was the 3rd best player in the draft.

So yeah, Chris Wells being the 3rd RB taken? Maybe if the Cardinals hadn't made it so far in the playoffs, he'd have been the 2nd RB taken. Who knows. Perhaps half the league had him penciled in atop their RB rankings. Rather than focus all our attention on the player and wonder what happened, perhaps it'd be more accurate to take an even harder look at the teams. Rather than 1+1=2, the equation more likely involves a bunch of unknown variables. Same thing with most stats.

umphrey
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I think Donald Brown or Andre Brown or a number of middle rounders would have been better fits in Arizona. I don't know what their board looked like at the time though; he might have been head and shoulders above anyone else on their board.

abaddon41_80
04-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I think that Wells was by far the best pure running back in this class and was a huge steal @31.

MaxV
04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Quick reminder

DeAngelo Williams was drafted after Laurence Maroney and Joseph Addai even thought he was projected to be the second RB taken by many (Reggie Bush being the first) that year.

Williams was drafted after Maroney, but NOT after Addai.

fenikz
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I think Donald Brown or Andre Brown or a number of middle rounders would have been better fits in Arizona. I don't know what their board looked like at the time though; he might have been head and shoulders above anyone else on their board.

Why would those 2 be better in a power running game,Wells was obviously the best fit in the draft for us and we got lucky

Mr. Hero
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I agree that this is what it boils down to. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about how people get stuck ranking players based on how high they went in the draft. As if being selected a few spots ahead of another player is evidence of perceived superiority in the collective consciousness of those whose opinions matter. As if it were only one brain trust making the decisions for the entire NFL.

You shuffle the draft order around, and the order in which the players fall off the board will shuffle accordingly. There are some teams who just don't want player A, regardless of how highly some of us might rank him.

I find that people often do this same thing with stats. Thinking that whichever defense gave up the most yards is the worst defense. Whichever RB rushed for the most yards was the best RB, etc.

You can damn near take a look at what the general public believes about a given topic in sports, side with the opposite, and be right (assuming there is such a thing) 90% of the time. But you will be seen as crazy, because everybody knows THAT. It's inarguable, you fool. LOOK AT THE STATS!

Vince Young being selected 3rd overall is proof that he is superior to Jay Cutler in every way. Does anybody believe that Vince Young would have been the 3rd overall pick if Denver had been the team on the clock at that point? 1/32 of the league made that pick, so it might be wise to put a similarly minuscule amount of weight behind the thought that it meant he was the 3rd best player in the draft.

So yeah, Chris Wells being the 3rd RB taken? Maybe if the Cardinals hadn't made it so far in the playoffs, he'd have been the 2nd RB taken. Who knows. Perhaps half the league had him penciled in atop their RB rankings. Rather than focus all our attention on the player and wonder what happened, perhaps it'd be more accurate to take an even harder look at the teams. Rather than 1+1=2, the equation more likely involves a bunch of unknown variables. Same thing with most stats.

Glad to see you still post here. Another really good post.