PDA

View Full Version : New Draft Strategy

Yung Flippa
03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Now That We Pretty Much Have Willis McGahee (I Know It's Not Official)
But I Mean I Am Positive It Will Happen
Now We Have 4 or 5 Backs On Our Roster:
Willis McGahee
Mike Anderson
Musa Smith
PJ Daniels
Cory Ross (Wouldn't Really Count Him)\

Doubt We Will Be Picking a RB Unless Someone Great Falls
Also Not So Sure We Will Pick a DE/OLB In Early Rounds Because of JJ
Assuming That Nobody Great Falls Into Our Laps
What Do You Think Our Draft Should Look Like?
(I Am Assuming That We Gave Up Our 2nd For Willis)

Round 1: Justin Blalock (OG,Texas) or Aaron Sears (OT, Tenn)
Round 2: Willis McGahee (Great Pick)
Round 3: Rory Johnson (OLB, Ole Miss)
Round 4: Steve McNair (Great Pick)
Round 5: Anthony Arline (CB, Baylor)
Round 6: Dedrick Harrington (ILB, Misssouri)
Round 7: Matt Trannon (WR, Michigan St.)

bennybee38
03-07-2007, 11:24 PM
agree'd. Maybe Ben Grubbs in the 1st too.. the only thing i disagree with is taking Nate Harris. I'd rather have Desmond Bishop in the 3rd and Jacob Ford ( a possible steal) in the 5th. Corner, to me, isn't much of a need and If the front office thinks so, I'd be more comfortable picking up a free agent.

ccB
03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I really dislike Blalock and I dont think OG is the position to adress on the line I think RT is.

niel89
03-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I really dislike Blalock and I dont think OG is the position to adress on the line I think RT is.

agreed RT tackle is more important especiall if ogden retires

ccB
03-08-2007, 12:41 AM
agreed RT tackle is more important especiall if ogden retires
At Gaurd we have Vincent, Chester, Brown, Rimph all capable of playing there. MIke Flynn sucks but we can use him at C for one more year if need be.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-08-2007, 01:04 AM

Depending on what Ogden does I say if he leaves go RT hopefully Joe Staley but if he stays Im startin to climb onto the Ryan Kalil bandwagon, especially with how much Mike Flynn sucks donkey ass.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Tackle is more of a need. I like Adam Terry but we need a future replacement. Joe Staley? Levi Jones? i would like either of em. I love Blalock but guard is a postion with alot of depth so its not really a first round need.

ccB
03-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Depending on what Ogden does I say if he leaves go RT hopefully Joe Staley but if he stays Im startin to climb onto the Ryan Kalil bandwagon, especially with how much Mike Flynn sucks donkey ass.

The thought of an interior line of LG Jason Brown C Ryan Kalil RG Chris Chester, makes me drool. Throw in Terry and a RT that could be an elite OL in a couple years. I really think JO will be back next year.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-08-2007, 08:15 AM
I dont think we'll take a center unless its for depth cause i'm pretty sure we are planning to put Chris Chester at center and Jason Brown at guard. IMO i wouldn't like that. I would prefer us taking a center in the 3rd round and a tackle in the first. I doubt we get Kali in the 3rd round but maybe Doug Datish who i really like. In the firs we could take Joe Staley.
OT - Joe Staley
OG- Chris Chester
C- Doug Datish
OG- Jason Brown
OT - Adam Terry

thoughts??? BTW does anyone wanna take Ryan Kali in the first??

go_ravens94
03-08-2007, 10:22 AM
RT is the position that needs to be filled. Adam Terry is a great kid, though. I would suggest this:

1. Jarvis Moss, OLB
2. McGahee
3. (Guards and Tackles usually fall in drafts like these; take your pick)
4. McNair
5. (Pick)
6. (Pick)
7. Isaiah Stanback, QB

ChefMike
03-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Now That We Pretty Much Have Willis McGahee (I Know It's Not Official)
But I Mean I Am Positive It Will Happen
Now We Have 4 or 5 Backs On Our Roster:
Willis McGahee
Mike Anderson
Musa Smith
PJ Daniels
Cory Ross (Wouldn't Really Count Him)\

Doubt We Will Be Picking a RB Unless Someone Great Falls
Also Not So Sure We Will Pick a DE/OLB In Early Rounds Because of JJ
Assuming That Nobody Great Falls Into Our Laps
What Do You Think Our Draft Should Look Like?
(I Am Assuming That We Gave Up Our 2nd For Willis)

Round 1: Justin Blalock (OG,Texas) or Aaron Sears (OT, Tenn)
Round 2: Willis McGahee (Great Pick)
Round 3: Rory Johnson (OLB, Ole Miss)
Round 4: Steve McNair (Great Pick)
Round 5: Anthony Arline (CB, Baylor)
Round 6: Dedrick Harrington (ILB, Misssouri)
Round 7: Matt Trannon (WR, Michigan St.)

Well now since we know that we still have our 1st and 2nd... I think we go after OLB / DE in the first and OG/OT in the 2nd I agree with Dedrick Harrington.. I think we need to start rebuilding the depth on the Defensive side of the ball depth is the one thing we have a lot of on Offense other then the line... we have 2 good QB's 4 or 5 RB's 3 or 4 maybe 5 depending on Devard Darling and how he plays and 2 good TE's and Quinn Sypniewski we need to get deeper on the other side of the ball. Particularly on the DL with Dwan Edwards being our only real back up. So I would expect us to still pick up a Vet on the DL and draft a rookie. Can't wear out Gregg and Pryce and Ngata on every down...

BigDawg819
03-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Offensive line definitely needs to be addressed in the draft and I'm not opposed to Arron Sears, Joe Staley, Ryan Kalil, Ben Grubbs, or even Dan Mozes later. I don't see a need for all the hatred for Mike Flynn especially with the great year the Line had but he is no spring chicken and a top back-up is needed. Lets just hope we don't trade away anymore picks so we can get some young talent from this deep draft.

Bohleive
03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Fellas, I hate to break it to you, but we would not sign JJ to a six year deal, with Cody, who we invested a 2nd in just 2 seasons ago, already on the roster, if we planned to take an OLB in the first rd. Whoever we got at 29 would not even see the field this season, much less be the starter. It takes time to transition from DE to OLB, almost always 2 years. Moss is just not gonna happen.

ChefMike
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Well maybe not Moss but I still think we are going to address Defensive depth we are not in need of any starters right now. The OL is set but we need depth. You are correct we are not going to bring in a starter on defense this season unless somethin earth shattering happens in the draft and someone falls completely unexpectedly falls to us that can come and in compete. Though we need to address DL depth and OT depth.

ccB
03-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I read somewhere we thought our OL was set and we wouldnt be addressing it. If we dont address OL and we dont need a RB we could possibly just go BPA and get whoever the best player availble is.

BigDawg819
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I read somewhere we thought our OL was set and we wouldnt be addressing it. If we dont address OL and we dont need a RB we could possibly just go BPA and get whoever the best player availble is.

I would love to see that article cause as of right now we have JO and Terry as Tackles so who will be the back-up? Plus if JO retires, who will be the other Tackle?

ChefMike
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Ok well knowing that we need to build depth ? Knowing that our stars are getting older and could retire (McNair, JO) Knowing that we need to always think about the future and that we have our starters locked up... why not take the strategy of lets trade out of the 1st round and pick up maybe someones 1st next year and a 3rd this year to recoup our 3rd that Buffalo has..
By doing this we give ourselves the ability to have multiple picks in the 1st which maybe we could package to move into the TOP 10 ? So many options available to us. When your simply drafting to Best Player Available not out of need it makes you better for longer periods of time.

ccB
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
I would love to see that article cause as of right now we have JO and Terry as Tackles so who will be the back-up? Plus if JO retires, who will be the other Tackle?

Yeah i forget what the article was but it was talking about Terry and how we feel he is our starting RT. Of course it would all depend on what JO does with retirement etc. Im not saying we wouldnt address it in the 2nd or later but mayve just not in the 1st if a game changer is availble there. I really dont like any of the Tackles that are going to be availbe at our 1st, none of them are 1st round worthy IMO but we will see. If we took Ugoh or Staley I wouldnt hate it but I wouldnt be too happy either.

BigDawg819
03-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Call me crazy but I see Arron Sears out of Tennessee being our pick in the 1st. That would give us some depth and youth plus I think Adam Terry at RT will be a fine addition to the line. Not to mention I believe that this is the last year of Vincent's contract so it would not be surprising to see him have a good year.

ccB
03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Call me crazy but I see Arron Sears out of Tennessee being our pick in the 1st. That would give us some depth and youth plus I think Adam Terry at RT will be a fine addition to the line. Not to mention I believe that this is the last year of Vincent's contract so it would not be surprising to see him have a good year.

The only thing i dont like about Sears is he seems like hes going to end up a gaurd in the NFL instead of a Tackle, same reason im not big on Blalock.

BigDawg819
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
The only thing i dont like about Sears is he seems like hes going to end up a gaurd in the NFL instead of a Tackle, same reason im not big on Blalock.

Possible but then again he could stay and Tackle, or he could be a hybrid O-Line guy like a Chris Chester or a Jason Brown. Also what about the O-Lineman from Maryland, Heder I believe but could be mistaken, he had some could measurables at the combine, where could he project in the draft. Maybe he could be a possible later round selection?

ChefMike
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Next years NFL Draft has potential to have 4 or 5 strong candidates for OT that we could select such as:
Jake Long Michigan OT 6'6" 320lbs
Barry Richardson OT Clemson 6'6" 340lbs
Will Arnold OT LSU 6'3" 320lbs
Ryan Clady OT Boise St 6'5" 320lbs
Herman Johnson OT LSU 6'7" 350lbs

I am sure there are others out there in smaller schools that will brought to light like every year. But I don't see anyone that is just a drop dead choice at OT this year other than Joe Thomas. At guard thats a different story, you have a lot of choices and knowing the Vincent more than likely wont be resigned after next year and Chester has the ability to move to Center and Brown a Guard we should draft either a Center or a Guard to build the Interior of the Line. I like Manuel Ramirez but I wouldnt be apposed to Blalock or Grubbs or Sears to bring along as a replacement for next years departure of Vincent and then next year draft a rookie to come in for JO when he retires...

ccB
03-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Next years NFL Draft has potential to have 4 or 5 strong candidates for OT that we could select such as:
Jake Long Michigan OT 6'6" 320lbs
Barry Richardson OT Clemson 6'6" 340lbs
Will Arnold OT LSU 6'3" 320lbs
Ryan Clady OT Boise St 6'5" 320lbs
Herman Johnson OT LSU 6'7" 350lbs

I am sure there are others out there in smaller schools that will brought to light like every year. But I don't see anyone that is just a drop dead choice at OT this year other than Joe Thomas. At guard thats a different story, you have a lot of choices and knowing the Vincent more than likely wont be resigned after next year and Chester has the ability to move to Center and Brown a Guard we should draft either a Center or a Guard to build the Interior of the Line. I like Manuel Ramirez but I wouldnt be apposed to Blalock or Grubbs or Sears to bring along as a replacement for next years departure of Vincent and then next year draft a rookie to come in for JO when he retires...

You forgot the best OT in next years draft (ok maybe not) but Jared Gaither out of maryland. Hes an absolute monster.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-08-2007, 02:17 PM
You forgot the best OT in next years draft (ok maybe not) but Jared Gaither out of maryland. Hes an absolute monster.

I think he'll be rated one of the best in the draft, and he'll be a workout warrior too so he could definitely be a top guy drafted.

ChefMike
03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I thought Gaither was a Sophmore this year ? (A redshirt sophmore but he went to a prep school in what would have been his Freshman Year) He is a monster but needs a little more seasoning I think he is a first day player the way Adam Terry was but he is going to need to work on his footwork and his technique some more to be a LT in the NFL right now he is going to have to play RT in the NFL. He has the agility (played Basketball in HS and is not over weight for his build) and at 6'9 those guys only come around once in awhile. He will be coveted by everyone, who wouldnt want a walking wall to block for them !! but he has some things to work on this season coming up...

EdReedUnstoppable
03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
He was a Sophmore but because he spent a year before playing at UMD at a college grooming school he could have entered the draft this year, but cam back for 1 more year.

bennybee38
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
i dont like when people give us an outside backer in the first round. we have Dan Cody who hasn't been giving an opportunity to shine yet. we have Jarret Johnson too. Guard is our biggest need going into the draft

ChefMike
03-09-2007, 09:24 AM
i dont like when people give us an outside backer in the first round. we have Dan Cody who hasn't been giving an opportunity to shine yet. we have Jarret Johnson too. Guard is our biggest need going into the draft

Guard ? How can you say that...Look at our depth chart its not our biggest need.. its a need but far from our biggest, Brown, Chester, Vincent, Rimpf that have playing experience. We need depth on the DL we only have 4 players under contract. Ngata, Pryce, Gregg, Edwards and Edwards is shaky at best he has yet to show any real promise of being worthy of a 2nd rd pick. I do think we need address the guard spot but I think and I said it in a previous reply to this post, that we should trade our 1st pick for a #1 next year and maybe another 2nd or a 3rd this year to stockpile some picks and add depth. We have a legit shot at the Super Bowl next year with McGhee and our OL and McNair at the helm Michael Smith on ESPN was quoted as saying they could have one of the most explosive offenses in the entire league.
We NEED to address that Defensive Line in the early part of the draft...