PDA

View Full Version : So the draft's over....what are the expectations for next year?

LookItsAlDavis
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Personally, I think we can be anywhere between 4-12 and 9-7. 9-7 is if Russell struggles early and Garcia comes in and saves the day. We played well down the stretch, but overall I don't think we improved our team as much as we needed too. I expect Miller to have a good year, perhaps a pro bowl. DHB will at least provide us with something down the field, and if Walker can come back to form, our pass offense should be a lot better, or at least average more than 150 yards a game. Defensively, I feel like we will be the same. The only thing that worries me is that we start the year off with all three of our divisional opponents. San Diego will be tough, and I would not underestimate Denver or Kansas City. What are your thoughts?

Abaddon
04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I expect I'll spend more time watching Eugene Monroe and B.J. Raji than whoever the Raiders trot onto the field.

Burger
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Crabtree looks way too happy.

Abaddon
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
It's his partner's reaction that says it all, though.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Aha no the best was DHB's reaction.

Edit: here it is....

uqd6EYGxBxU&feature=related

farfromforgotten
04-27-2009, 10:33 PM
It's his partner's reaction that says it all, though.

Thats classic.

farfromforgotten
04-27-2009, 10:43 PM

This was classic as well.

With the Crabtree and the guy next to him pic - I like to imagine that they did something they shouldnt have done and were pretty damn sure they were going to get caught, but then they some how got away with it and were like "**** man, that was close! how did we dodge that bullet?"

Then with the DHB video - he looked like a man who just recieved word he would be spending the next 5 years in prison.

I also like to think that DHB thought to himself at that moment "damn, why did I have to run so fast?"

RaiderNation
04-28-2009, 01:09 AM
I expect that we can go 7-9 or 8-8 if Russell improves like he did the last few games last year. I think our D will greatly improve with a new DC. DHB will likely struggle the first part of the year but will have some good games later on. I really hope DMC and Bush stay healthy. I want to see what these 2 can do when both healthy

Stash
04-28-2009, 01:18 AM
I really don't see this team being much different than last years. The offense will probably still be very run heavy while our passing game struggles. Is it not the same WR core + 2 raw rookies? DHB doesn't seem like the type to come in and produce right away, he seems like a raw receiver who might take a couple years to develop. I'm not counting on Walker to do anything more than he did last year which wasn't much. We didn't help the run D at all either. No DT's drafted/signed, so I guess we're sticking with Kelly/Terd/Warren, that sure worked out last year. Hopefully the DC change wil improve things, but it'll be awfully hard seeing as how he doesn't have a whole lot to work with in the trenches.

Abaddon
04-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Edit: here it is....

uqd6EYGxBxU&feature=related

He's thrilled, isn't he?

sigh

Abaddon
04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
This was classic as well.

With the Crabtree and the guy next to him pic - I like to imagine that they did something they shouldnt have done and were pretty damn sure they were going to get caught, but then they some how got away with it and were like "**** man, that was close! how did we dodge that bullet?"

That OJ Simpson look after the "not guilty" verdict, eh?

Abaddon
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I really don't see this team being much different than last years. The offense will probably still be very run heavy while our passing game struggles. Is it not the same WR core + 2 raw rookies? DHB doesn't seem like the type to come in and produce right away, he seems like a raw receiver who might take a couple years to develop. I'm not counting on Walker to do anything more than he did last year which wasn't much. We didn't help the run D at all either. No DT's drafted/signed, so I guess we're sticking with Kelly/Terd/Warren, that sure worked out last year. Hopefully the DC change wil improve things, but it'll be awfully hard seeing as how he doesn't have a whole lot to work with in the trenches.

Top 10 pick next year. No doubt about it.

The only thing, and I do mean the only thing, that will push Oakland out of the top 10 next year will be the further collapse of KC and Denver. Even then, we may only split with them.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I think this season depends mostly on how Russell/Garcia perform.With Barnes and Satele coming in and maybe moving Henderson to RT the Oline could protect him pretty decently.Maybe above average.We have good RBs.Zach Miller is the only consistent reciever.Hopefully we involve him more this year.Everyone else is to young to tell really.We need the WRs to step up.The offense will have to carry the team this year unless of course we sign/trade (for) a DT who comes in and has a great year for us our defense will probably suck.

Kurve
04-29-2009, 12:05 AM
i think it comes down to our running game remember how whe control and looked good in the last few games when our running game worked ....last year i think much of our struggles was the lack of consistancy in our running game when we really have our Running game on notch we tend to be in games. Also having Chris johnson really shine last year it put us in games that we shouldnt have. I think we will surprise some teams everyone has us pegged to get the 1# overall pick next draft and ill go out on a limb to say we will be not in the top 10 thats for sure! I think our Running game will win us many games next year and our defense will be better then expected.

Abaddon
04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
What makes you think the Raider defense will be any good? It still consists of the same bad players.

RaiderNation
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Im excited to see DHB and Schilens at WR and JLH in the slot. That could be a good 3some of young Wr's. Plus we got Walker who will hopefully be healthy and some more young WR's. We just need 2 of the 6 or so young WR's to develop and we will be decent

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
What makes you think the Raider defense will be any good? It still consists of the same bad players.Yep.Unable to stop the run,unable to pressure the QB theres only so much Aso can do back there.We need to sign someone and hope they play great preferably on the DL.

Stash
04-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Hopefully the new D-coordinator will blitz more, that should help solve the pressure issues. The run D is still a major problem though, I don't think a change of coordinator/scheme is going to solve that one.

Abaddon
04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Unlikely he'll blitz much. It's still Al's defense, after all. Marshall's just there to run it.

NIN1984
05-03-2009, 12:43 PM
The fact that we did nothing to address the poor run defense will come back to haunt us. I don't know why but Al or the coaching staff seems to think we are fine at the DT position. We have not drafted a DT since 2005 and it was 6th round bust Anttaj Hawthorne. Every year Raiders run defense is pathetic and every year we ignore the problem and draft DBs.

its ****** annoying, how will Al fix the Run D next year? Taylor Mays.

Abaddon
05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Al Davis: Genius

ChefMike
05-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Look i think its silly to keep bashing the draft.. its futile.. the problem is coaching at this point....there is Talent there NO DOUBT but you need someone to bring it all together. That has been the real downfall here not drafting Talent. I can't believe that Russell, McFadden, Vargas, Miller, Everyone on the OLine, Heyward-Bey, Walker, etc. Can't score TD's with as atheletic as they are and talented as they are.

If Oakland had a real Offensive Coordinator it would be a windfall for them !

Abaddon
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Coaching is always a problem in Oakland. But, the bigger problem is, as you inadvertently alluded to, drafting athletes over football players.

The only players on Oakland's offense I'd keep are Michael Bush, Justin Fargas, and Zack Miller. I'll throw Higgins in there as well. But, that's about it.

No offensive coordinator could turn this group of losers into a "windfall", juggernaut, or whatever else you can think of. Russell is crap. McBabyDaddy is a "change of pace" back at best. The O-line is pathetic. The WRs are, well, not ready for prime time. Just a lot of shiny, overpaid pieces of crap posing as an offense.

Also, there's no one on the roster named "Vargas".