PDA

View Full Version : Way too early 2010 question-OG's

Texas Homer
04-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Are there some OG's that I should keep my eye on for next years draft?

The Texans could be looking for one.

Who are the top OG's or OT's that might be able to play OG?

Solomon
04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Are there some OG's that I should keep my eye on for next years draft?

The Texans could be looking for one.

Who are the top OG's or OT's that might be able to play OG?

Hokie Sergio Render, John Jerry (Peria's kid brother), and Red Raider Brandon Carter seem to be the top guys mentioned right now who fit blocking schemes which require big guys.

Alabama's Mike Johnson and FSU underclassmen Rodney Hudson are probably the best fits in Houston.

Then again at this point last year everybody (including myself) were hyping Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson as borderline first rounders while Trevor Cannfield and and Tyrone Greene were supposed to be solid second round options. Greene ended up being the highest guard drafted out of that bunch at the end of round 4.

CashmoneyDrew
04-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Eh, the only non-Tennessee guys I know are John Jerry from Ole Miss and Sergio Render from Virginia Tech. Jacques McClendon has the talent, he just needs to work harder.

Texas Homer
04-28-2009, 12:06 AM
How good is the Pouncey kid from Florida?

KCJ58
04-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I like Brandon Carter a Senior from Texas Tech and also Jeff Byers Senior from USC alot going into next years draft.

other names that people should watch out for...

Sergio Render/OG (Virginia Tech) Sr.
Rodney Hudson/OG (Florida State) Sr.
Mike Johnson /OG (Alabama) Sr.

Don Vito
04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I like Brandon Carter a Senior from Texas Tech and also Jeff Byers Senior from USC alot going into next years draft.

I don't understand the fascination with Brandon Carter, he was nothing impressive whatsoever when I saw him play last year. His facepaint got attention but I don't think he is any good.

ThePudge
04-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Jeff Byers Senior from USC

Byers may be a bit held down by the fact that he's going to be 25 year old rookie and the fact that be lacks bulk and power in the run game. To me, right now, I think he's a 4th Rounder or later.

Sergio Render from Virginia Tech is probably this coming year's top talent at Offensive Guard as it's looking right now. Still, he is inconsistent and turns it off and on at will. He could have a big year if he keeps his head in the game. Alabama's Mike Johnson has a chance to be drafted as high as the 2nd Round, perhaps higher if he shows more agility and consistency this season. I would grade those two right now as the top looking Guard prospects for this season.

yourfavestoner
04-28-2009, 02:13 AM
The Pouncey twins at Florida, if they choose to declare.

TitanHope
04-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Eh, the only non-Tennessee guys I know are John Jerry from Ole Miss and Sergio Render from Virginia Tech. Jacques McClendon has the talent, he just needs to work harder.

Tennessee OT's always project to OG, so Chris Scott could be considered. But you're right, McClendon has all the potential in the world. Vladimir Richard is no slouch either.

The Vols OL better rebound next year for any of 'em to have a chance though. McClenden and Richard will blow the combine away at least.

bigbenn
04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Don't sleep on Jon Asamoah at Illinois. He's been doing it since his freshman year and he should finally get the attention he deserves this year. He's a LG or C type who can also play tackle.

ToldLikeItIs
04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Former Iowa LT Dace Richardson is being bumped inside this year.

6'6 325, he was touted as a first rounder a few years ago before a tough injury.

BuddyCHRIST
04-28-2009, 02:06 PM

other names that people should watch out for...

Sergio Render/OG (Virginia Tech) Sr.
Rodney Hudson/OG (Florida State) Sr.
Mike Johnson /OG (Alabama) Sr.

Hudson will actually only be a JR next year.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I really like John Jerry.

tjsunstein
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Hudson seems to have the edge for the best G in the 2010 draft but as we all know its early but never too early to talk draft. Of course, there is Sergio Render, VT and Mike Johnson from Bama but my guy in this class is John Jerry.

Hurricanes25
04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Here are 5 guys that I have seen that look really good.
1. John Jerry / Ole Miss
2. Mike Johnson / Alabama
3. Sergio Render / Virginia Tech
4. Brandon Carter / Texas Tech
5. Shelley Smith / Colorado State

Don Vito
04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Jerry could play RT in the NFL, but I think his best fit is definitely at guard. He is very powerful and can be dominant in the run game, but he isn't a terrible pass blocker. He will struggle with speed rushers occasionally and probably wouldn't handle that well in the NFL, he got beat pretty bad against Texas Tech one time. The ability to play outside if need be can't hurt him though.

sbh15
04-28-2009, 07:49 PM
How good is the Pouncey kid from Florida?

Deliciously good. Probably not a first rounder though.

TACKLE
04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
A lot of people seem to like Sergio Render but I've just seen him get beat way too many times.