PDA

View Full Version : Top two QBs next year: Tony Pike & Jevan Snead?

MenOfTroy
04-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Tony Pike from Cincinnati and Jevan Snead from Ole Miss - anyone agree with this?

Obviously neither of those guys has "arrived" yet as a college player like Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy. And my opinion about these guys isn't a condemnation of the other more hyped QBs. But as far as pure talent, Pike and Snead are tops for me and I anticipate that they'll really put themselves on the map next year.

For what it's worth, I think Pike compares to Joe Flacco and Snead to Aaron Rodgers. Both guys have big arms and excellent athleticism for their size.

TitanHope
04-28-2009, 02:29 AM
I've seen Snead get plenty of attention. Not as much for Pike.

Personally, I'm interested in Jake Locker and Dan LeFevour.

Cicero
04-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Jake Locker
Great post. I get to watch 7 of his games in person next year so I'll have a good scouting report. :)

OneToughGame
04-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Great post. I get to watch 7 of his games in person next year so I'll have a good scouting report. :)

I can't wait to see what Sark has done with him so far lol.

wicket
04-28-2009, 03:02 AM
hasnt jake got another year left?

iworshipbender
04-28-2009, 03:16 AM

Yup, and he's barely done anything of any relevance in his first two.

themaninblack
04-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Let's just say I'd be really REALLY shocked if Tony Pike is a top 2 QB next year when all is said and done.

jnew76
04-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Let's just say I'd be really REALLY shocked if Tony Pike is a top 2 QB next year when all is said and done.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked. He will be throwing the ball a lot as the Cincy defense loses a ton of talent. He has a really good arm and solid mechanics. If he puts in the work this offseason I think he can really make a push for 1rst round consideration.

With Pat White going 44th overall, I think Tebow will be in the mix for the first round as a versatile weapon. Especially if Pat White makes an impact in Miami as a rookie.

I am a big Bradford fan, but I don't see how he will be able to duplicate the numbers he put up this year after losing his top two WR's and the left side of his O-Line. I am interested to see if he has gotten stronger over the winter and in the offseason.

Snead is the wildcard IMO... He was very impressive this last year after sitting out after the transfer. He plays from under center a lot. Has good feet and a solid motion, with a pretty quick release.

Ryan Mallett will be interesting to watch as a 3rd year Sophomore. Tyrod Taylor as a true Junior.

The 2010 QB class is potentially much more interesting than the crap that was '09.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Snead and Bradford are the best candidates I can think of for potential top 10 quarterbacks right now. Both lost a lot from their respective offenses, but it looks like Snead is heading back to Mississippi with a bigger loss than Bradford has. He (Snead) put together some great games last year though.

As of right now, I'm not sold on either Pike or McCoy.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-28-2009, 05:09 AM
I love McCoy's game, but I did force myself to watch clips of Snead playing for Ole Miss last season and now at least understand why some feel he could develop into a 1st round draft pick next season.

I still think Colt McCoy is one of the best overall playmakers from the QB position in college football, despite maybe not having the best raw physical tools.

All said, next year's draft looks to be especially deep at the QB position.

abaddon41_80
04-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Unless Bradford fails miserably, or someone else like Snead does fantastic, I doubt he isn't the #1 QB and possibly player in the 2010 Draft. If he declares that is. I would personally like to see him stay for two more years because by 2011 he could possibly be the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

vatech=accdomination
04-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Tony Pike blows, look what happened when he played a legit defense.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
I think Dan Lefevour will be a first day pick.

nepg
04-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Tim Hiller, folks.

Next year is going to be a great one for QB's. This fact, coupled with Josh Freeman not seeing the field this year, makes Tampa's draft look so much worse...

LookItsAlDavis
04-28-2009, 07:39 AM
How about Zac Robinson? I bet he would be a great 2nd-3rd rounder.

ElectricEye
04-28-2009, 07:52 AM
I think Snead would have quite a bit of work to do to usurp Bradford. I can see it happening, but not until towards the end of the process. At the start of the season, it's going to be Bradford all the way. I'm not terribly worried about losing the receivers, it's more the replacements along the line that have me worried(but with Trent Williams staying the blindside will be protected), but he'll still get his numbers against weak Big XII defenses.

As far as Pike goes, I've seen him play a few times and he never struck me as a first round quarterback. He has the height and he's a decent enough athlete, but he's extremely unpolished and Virginia Tech made him look like a little girl. We'll see I guess, but I don't have him as a first round type player right now.

JFLO
04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
I don't agree with the statement, but I will agree with you on the potential of Pike. BTW, my top 2 quarterbacks (regardless of class) are Bradford and McCoy.

Anyways, Tony Pike is a underrated QB going into the 2010 draft, because he obviously doesn't get enough attention playing QB at Cincinnati, but the guy has talent and amazing size to play in the NFL. He needs to stay healthy and improve his overall accuracy, but I think he has some underrated potential.

Some other QBs that I like coming into the very early stages of the 2010 class:

Jarrett Brown West Virginia
Rusty Smith Florida Atlantic (only on potential)
Pat Devlin Delaware

Shane P. Hallam
04-28-2009, 08:05 AM
It will be interesting to see who emerges. I think right now, there are two QBs will go in the first round. Sam Bradford based on pure talent and Tim Tebow (based on someone loving the intangibles and ability).

I do think Snead, Clausen, Hiller, and even Thaddeus Lewis perhaps can emerge.

TitanHope
04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
I was thinking about Thaddeus Lewis just the other day. Certainly couldn't ask for a better QB coach than David Cutcliffe.

Staggart
04-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Watch last years orange bowl. Pike did have some shining moments but then he kind of crumbled as the game went on.

ElectricEye
04-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Lewis? I'm not so sure about him. I've never really got what the hype was about outside the fact he's starting and being coached by Cutcliffe. Never really looked like anything special to me. Too short. Doesn't have the production or a big time NFL skillset either.

MooshooGawd
04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm a UC season ticket holder. I would be surprised to see Pike's stock rise to first round level, but he'll be one of the top 5, that's for sure.

He's got good size but he needs to put on weight. He needs to develop into a leader and he needs to make better decisions.

But he looked really good this last weekend in their spring game. It's also one heck of a story. UC coach told the kid to transfer, but Pike refused. After a number of injuries, Pike takes the reigns - even though everyone was wanting to see former Notre Dame Quarterback Demetrius Jones - and he excelled.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
One of these guys will be a first rounder, the other will flame out and go undrafted

Currently I like Snead for the former and Pike for the latter, but things change a lot in a year

If Bradford shows any chinks in the armor he'll drop fast to the mid rounds.

McCoy imo isn't even in consideration for the first day. His upside is Jeff Garcia

Bengalsrocket
04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't think Tony Pike is going to be drafted in the 1st round. He's clearly very talented but doesn't seem to have it all together yet. I'm not sure he can do that in one year.

On a semi-related note, Tony Pike is 2 years older than me, and the High school he went to is basically in my backyard. it's probably been 5-6 years since I've talked to him, but he always seemed slightly slow to me lol.

YAYareaRB
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Max Hall FTW!

Black Bolt
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
But both need a lot more seasoning. Also, what about the QB from Iowa?

princefielder28
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's my initial senior QB rankings

1. Colt McCoy, TEXAS
2. Tim Tebow, FLORIDA
3. Rusty Smith, FL. ATLANTIC
4. Tim Hiller, W. MICHIGAN
5. Zac Robinson, OKLAHOMA STATE
6. Dan LeFevour, C. MICHIGAN
7. Matt Nichols, E. WASHINGTON
8. Tony Pike, CINCINNATI
9. Daryll Clark, PENN STATE
10. Juice Williams, ILLINOIS

If Snead were in the rankings he'd be the top QB.

Brent
04-28-2009, 11:45 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cV3bcQerRedd/610x.jpg

Get ready.

CashmoneyDrew
04-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Not enough Jonathan Crompton love in here.

kwilk103
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs010.snc1/2628_62772429197_48044474197_1460677_4255487_n.jpg

tjsunstein
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Pat Devlin is my sleeper. Probably gonna be a 4th or 5th rounder but a great pick up as a back up. Rusty Smith of Florida Atlantic will turn some heads with his size. Everyone knows about Snead, Bradford, etc,. I don't think McCoy should go before round 3 but what do I know.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Pike reminds me a lot of Derek Anderson.

princefielder28
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Pike reminds me a lot of Derek Anderson.

I like that comparison quite a bit.

princefielder28
04-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Pat Devlin is my sleeper. Probably gonna be a 4th or 5th rounder but a great pick up as a back up. Rusty Smith of Florida Atlantic will turn some heads with his size. Everyone knows about Snead, Bradford, etc,. I don't think McCoy should go before round 3 but what do I know.

For the 2010 draft Devlin won't get much attention. With the lack of playing time at Penn State he's gonna need to get all the experience and prove himself as much as possible before he becomes a part of the 2011 draft. Given his size and tools he has the potential to be Flacco 2.0.

Babylon
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Another year after this year yes. He's looked good so far, really looked good in the spring game according to some i talked with, was like 16 for 18. Physically he has more to work with than a Mark Sanchez so it will be interesting to see how much Nussmeier and Sark can coach him up. There just arent too many 6-3 230lb QBs around with speed in the mid 4.5 range and a strong arm.

Sniper
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cV3bcQerRedd/610x.jpg

Get ready.

I'm sure he's going to get hyped to death after he shreds the Michigan defense for 450 yards and 5 TD in the first game of the season, even though Michigan's D sucks.

MenOfTroy
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Tony Pike sure looks good this year. Joe Flacco clone. In my mind, he and Jake Locker appear to be the premier QB prospects in this year's crop.

11 TD/2 INT, 70.5%, and 306 ypg over the first four games, taking Cincy to #14.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Tony Pike sure looks good this year. Joe Flacco clone. In my mind, he and Jake Locker appear to be the premier QB prospects in this year's crop.

11 TD/2 INT, 70.5%, and 306 ypg over the first four games, taking Cincy to #14.

I've made the comparison to Flacco because of build and such but IMO his arm is nowhere near the cannon that Flacco has. He also isn't as mobile or pocket aware as Flacco. I will say that at this point he appears to be more accurate and have better touch than Flacco, although Pike has the field spread out for him with guys running open all day.

djp
09-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I've made the comparison to Flacco because of build and such but IMO his arm is nowhere near the cannon that Flacco has. He also isn't as mobile or pocket aware as Flacco. I will say that at this point he appears to be more accurate and have better touch than Flacco, although Pike has the field spread out for him with guys running open all day.

I think Pike has a cannon, a deceptively strong arm due to his easy throwing motion.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I think Pike has a cannon, a deceptively strong arm due to his easy throwing motion.

Pike has a good arm. Flacco has an elite arm. I'm not just talking long ball, but Flacco can zip out a 20 yard out rout to the sidelines in his sleep with the defense being unable to cut down on the ball.

Hurricanes25
09-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Does anybody consider Pike to be a first round prospect right now or is he in the 2nd-3rd round range.

P-L
09-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Does anybody consider Pike to be a first round prospect right now or is he in the 2nd-3rd round range.
Yeah, he's a 1st Round pick in my opinion. Bradford is questionable with the injury and Pike is a better prospect than Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow. He's at worst the #2 quarterback in my opinion, which makes him a 1st Round pick.

ElectricEye
09-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Starheather got one right, by the looks of it. Top Ten Pick? Maybe not, but he's defiantly playing first round caliber quarterback right now. I would like to see them play a legit defensive team relatively soon though, even though Oregon State and Rutgers have played alright defensively at times.

Mr. Stiller
09-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I may get bashed for this but I think Pike is secretly becoming the best QB in the NCAA.

He may not be the first QB taken, but I have a feeling he'll be the best in the Pro's.

Giantsfan1080
09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Pike's stock is sky rocketing. He's showing a lot of people what he can do. Flacco does have a bit of a better arm but Pike has more accuracy. I think Pike is probably a late 1st round pick right now.

09-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I may get bashed for this but I think Pike is secretly becoming the best QB in the NCAA.

He may not be the first QB taken, but I have a feeling he'll be the best in the Pro's.

Thank you. I've had him pegged as a first rounder during all the pre-season talk. The only negative I can see is his system, which doesn't ask him to make all the NFL-type throws you'd want to get a look at before anointing him the best pro prospect at his position.

Everything else is certainly there and I've been impressed with his mobility within the pocket, as well as his ability to throw accurately on the move. The ball placement on a good majority of his passes is remarkable and it's a big part as to why he's able to pass for so many yards on so few completions because he gives receivers like Gilyard ample opportunity for YAC.

Everything about this QB is to rave about. He'll without question be one of the biggest movers in this draft class, especially if some of the top junior QBs elect to stay as I foresee happening.

essential
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm a UC season ticket holder. I would be surprised to see Pike's stock rise to first round level, but he'll be one of the top 5, that's for sure.

I hope he doesn't rise to first round, I want the Bills to grab him in the 2nd. I like Pike, I think he's more of an NFL type QB than Tebow, McCoy, and Bradford.

DiG
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
im also hoping that he somehow sneaks into the early second so that the skins can take an elite lineman in the first and snatch pike at the top of the second. a lot will depend on what juniors declare. if clausen, bradford, and snead all declare along with mccoy and tebow than someones going to have to fall to the 2nd round and it very well could be pike. every teams board will be different depending on the type of offense they run but it definitely will be interesting to see what happens with.

katnip
09-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I've seen Snead get plenty of attention. Not as much for Pike.

Personally, I'm interested in Jake Locker and Dan LeFevour.

I like LeFevours pro potential based on what I hear from espn

RaiderNation
09-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Id love to have Pike in Oakland....

Thumper
09-28-2009, 06:05 PM
1. Clausen
2. Locker
3. Pike
3. Hiller
5. McCoy

Sam Bradford is atop the 2011 rankings

09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
1. Clausen
2. Pike
3. Locker
3. Hiller
5. McCoy

Sam Bradford is atop the 2011 rankings

I like those rankings as they are similar to mine, except I'd put Locker ahead of Pike and maybe slide Jarrett Brown in there at 4 or 5 and remove McCoy. This is assuming Snead and Bradford don't declare. I'm obviously a lot higher on Brown than most, while I'd also say that I'd be comfortable taking any one of those six QBs (Clausen, Locker, Pike, Hiller, Brown, McCoy) in the top two rounds. This could surprisingly be a good year for the position, again.

RaiderNation
09-28-2009, 08:52 PM
1 Bradford(likely he doesnt come out, if he does he is at the top for me)
2 Pike(big kid with good arm and accuracy, similar to Flacco)
3 Snead(strong armed SEC QB that reminds me of Stafford)
4 McCoy(doesnt have great size, but is accurate and a proven leader)
5 Locker( great athlete with a good arm, should stay as a SR and will be a top 10 pick)

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I know I shouldn't be, but I am intrigued by Juice Williams. Actually think he might have a shot.

underscore
09-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I know I shouldn't be, but I am intrigued by Juice Williams. Actually think he might have a shot.

You mean the guy that has zero TDs and 3 INTs in 2 games and is averaging 4.8 ypa this year?

DiG
09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
1 Bradford(likely he doesnt come out, if he does he is at the top for me)
2 Pike(big kid with good arm and accuracy, similar to Flacco)
3 Snead(strong armed SEC QB that reminds me of Stafford)
4 McCoy(doesnt have great size, but is accurate and a proven leader)
5 Locker( great athlete with a good arm, should stay as a SR and will be a top 10 pick)

where would you stick clausen in there if he came out?

As of today I have:

1. Bradford
2. McCoy
3. Clausen
4. Pike
5. Snead
6. Locker

Bald_81
09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Bradford will definitely be going pro this season, you can count on that.

1. Bradford
2. Clausen
3. Pike
4. Locker
5. Snead

Saints 4 Lyfe
09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
being a Saints fan i look for the next Drew Brees. who compares to Bress?

Saints-Tigers
09-29-2009, 10:15 AM
being a Saints fan i look for the next Drew Brees. who compares to Bress?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Fr2AB6jHS-M/Sp2KeRwwlSI/AAAAAAAABMc/U_bEBHItGe4/s400/god.jpg

Saints 4 Lyfe
09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Fr2AB6jHS-M/Sp2KeRwwlSI/AAAAAAAABMc/U_bEBHItGe4/s400/god.jpg

you just got some rep.

LizardState
09-29-2009, 10:26 AM
being a Saints fan i look for the next Drew Brees. who compares to Brees?

Homer pick for Greg McElroy, Jr, Alabama. From Southlake, TX, backed up Chase Daniel in HS, like Brees was the leader on the Texas HS state champion. Tearing up the SEC in his 1st yr starting. Pinpoint precision passer who throws a very catchable ball. Getting a leg up on NFL reading defenses just by practicing daily vs Saban's disguised coverages.

All NFL teams that don't have a blue star on their helmets need not apply -- McElroy's father is the VP of Sales for the Dallas Cowboys. Probably will not declare, needs another yr. of seasoning under Saban

Saints 4 Lyfe
09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Homer pick for Greg McElroy, Jr, Alabama. From Southlake, TX, backed up Chase Daniel in HS, like Brees was the leader on the Texas HS state champion. Tearing up the SEC in his 1st yr starting. Pinpoint precision passer who throws a very catchable ball. Getting a leg up on NFL reading defenses just by practicing daily vs Saban's disguised coverages.

All NFL teams that don't have a blue star on their helmets need not apply -- McElroy's father is the VP of Sales for the Dallas Cowboys. Probably will not declare, needs another yr. of seasoning under Saban

i will say i thought you were stupid for saying Bama didnt have QB problem..Greg shut me up..he's impressed the hell out me.

vatech=accdomination
09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
I cannot believe I feel Jimmy Clausen has become a legit QB prospect, his deep throws are so good.

Saints-Tigers
09-29-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't want the next Drew Brees, to be honest. I want some super high upside guy like Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young, or hell maybe even Tebow if he drops enough?

Anyway, I want a guy with that type of upside, and I want him to learn from Drew Brees, Sean Payton, and Pete Carmichael Jr. and change the game of football :D

I think if some super upside player like Pryor, Robert Griffin or someone else dropped, and got to come here and learn for a few years, we could develop a real monster, it could take a while, but I really think they could develop anyone that is willing to come in and put in the work.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
You mean the guy that has zero TDs and 3 INTs in 2 games and is averaging 4.8 ypa this year?

Yep that's the one.

brat316
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Jimmy Clausen is NFL Qb, hard to believe. IDK why, but its just hard for me to see him be NFL qb.

Babylon
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't want the next Drew Brees, to be honest. I want some super high upside guy like Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young, or hell maybe even Tebow if he drops enough?

Anyway, I want a guy with that type of upside, and I want him to learn from Drew Brees, Sean Payton, and Pete Carmichael Jr. and change the game of football :D

I think if some super upside player like Pryor, Robert Griffin or someone else dropped, and got to come here and learn for a few years, we could develop a real monster, it could take a while, but I really think they could develop anyone that is willing to come in and put in the work.

Is there any seriousness to this post at all?

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Please tell me that you are not serious.