PDA

View Full Version : Draft Could Be Moving

Splat
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Draft Could Be Moving To Three Days, Prime Time (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/draft-could-be-moving-to-three-days-prime-time/)

The NFL (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/draft-could-be-moving-to-three-days-prime-time/#) has toyed in the past with the idea of moving the first round of the draft into prime time.

The problem has been the duration of round one. With a process that at times has stretched beyond five or six hours, the picks would begin too early in the west or finish too late in the east. Or both.

But with round one of the 2009 draft coming in at roughly the length of an NFL game, the window is wide open for a cannonball into the prime time pool.

According to the Dallas Morning News (via Chris Littmann of SportingNews.com (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/firstcuts/entry/view/23572/nfl_draft_could_go_to_prime-time_in_2010)), the change could come as soon as 2010 (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/stories/042809dnspogosselin.1183d684a.html).

Paul
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Why is the NFL so ass backwards when it comes to the draft?

ChiFan24
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
NO! God damn it, they're ruining the draft for me. It should start at noon at the latest, and day one should consist of rounds 1-3, which would rap up at around 8.

georgiafan
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I would like the ideal of having the 1st round on friday as sunday's coverage is pretty long espically for the casual fan.

Splat
04-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I hate the idea my self.

Crickett
04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I say fiddlesticks.

No real reason, I just wanted to say it.

BallerT1215
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I would hate that. It is DRAFT DAY damn it.

derza222
04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
PFT said that they think the first round would be broadcast on Thursday night, not Friday, since ratings are generally higher. Friday would then have rounds two and three, and Saturday would have the final four rounds.

The thought is that now that the draft is down to about 3 and a half hours, they can fit it into all time zones at night, I guess be it on Thursday or Friday.

My major question is, if round one is on Thursday and rounds two and three are on Friday, what time does everything start Friday? Those are two very important rounds obviously, and if they're going to be during the day where people would miss them due to work/classes that would probably piss a lot of people off. Unless they can come up with a good time, it might make more sense to go Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Really though, I liked the original format so much better.

BeerBaron
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
You know, I wouldn't mind making an entire weekend out of it......

Start round 1 precisely at 8pm eastern on friday, have it run to no later than midnight hopefully, then do rounds 2-3 Saturday, 4-7 sunday....

Or something close to that. Then maybe when I'm trying like hell to see who my team picked in the later rounds, they won't still be talking about picks from 2 days before.......I'd hope anyway.....ugh.

BeerBaron
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
PFT said that they think the first round would be broadcast on Thursday night, not Friday, since ratings are generally higher. Friday would then have rounds two and three, and Saturday would have the final four rounds.

The thought is that now that the draft is down to about 3 and a half hours, they can fit it into all time zones at night, I guess be it on Thursday or Friday.

My major question is, if round one is on Thursday and rounds two and three are on Friday, what time does everything start Friday? Those are two very important rounds obviously, and if they're going to be during the day where people would miss them due to work/classes that would probably piss a lot of people off. Unless they can come up with a good time, it might make more sense to go Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Really though, I liked the original format so much better.

I'd think they'd also be during primetime. You can probably start it at the same time both of those nights since I think you could do 2-3 in the same time as all of round 1.

brat316
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
What would teams do with all that free time on their hands? In between the rounds that is.

Why not all make UDFA available on Sunday at 12:00 PM EST?

That way, Thursday round 1 casual fan, Friday 2-3 interested in draft fan, Saturday 4-7 and Sunday UDFA for hardcore draft fans.

On Thursday they probably would start at 6:00.
Friday 5:00.
Saturday 10:00

princefielder28
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
The draft should start Saturday at Noon eastern with rounds 1-3 and then conclude Sunday starting at 11 AM eastern.

thebow305
04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
The draft should start Saturday at Noon eastern with rounds 1-3 and then conclude Sunday starting at 11 AM eastern.

Agreed! The original format!

This is just getting out of hand!

derza222
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM

Agreed.

What would teams do with all that free time on their hands? In between the rounds that is.

Why not all make UDFA available on Sunday at 12:00 PM EST?

That way, Thursday round 1 casual fan, Friday 2-3 interested in draft fan, Saturday 4-7 and Sunday UDFA for hardcore draft fans.

On Thursday they probably would start at 6:00.
Friday 5:00.
Saturday 10:00

I think they may be starting it just a little later Thursday and Friday to accommodate fans out West. And they'll probably make UDFA's available right after the draft, there are already tampering issues as is. Otherwise though, that's what I'd guess they'll do if they do change it.

Nalej
04-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I hate the idea my self.

Seriously. Why is Goddell so dedicated to change **** in the NFL.
Does he want his names in the history books? Leave his mark?
Changing the length of the season- changing the draft set up.
What next?

ThePudge
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Though I'm not quite sure what the future will bring, I don't anticipate an immediate change. Roger Goodell was roughly three to five feet away from me at a point on each day. A Day Two Diehard that I am familiar with, a Raiders fan that has 10 consecutive drafts under his belt, asked him about a potential move. What Roger told him is: the draft will be held at Radio City through at least 2011, after that, nothing is confirmed.

I believe there is a deal in place between the NFL and Radio City Music Hall until 2011, and I personally hope they keep it there for much longer. Really a great location for the draft.

Handel
04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I would like they change the location, like they do in NHL.

Pitt
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
If they want to change something, they can start by stop showing these guys on the phones moments before the pick, taking away the element of surprise.

Get a new producer. Doesn't take a genius to figure out how to make good tv.

Donno
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Why do they always have to **** with it, its fine the way it is.

Prowler
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
i couldn't imagine being a prospect and having to wait all 3 days to hear my name. prospects will probably have a stroke and be sick all weekend from nerves. three days of waiting is insane.

jnew76
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Could you imagine 3 days of that draft song? I would file some sort of court injunction to have that deemed cruel and unusual punishment. Heads would have to ROLL!!

FlyingElvis
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
We're watching it regardless of the format, times, dates, locations or any other factor. Face it - the NFL owns us. Our opinion is irrelevant when compared to the almighty dollar, and that's all based on ratings.

If it is more lucrative for the NFL and broadens the fanbase even slightly then it will be done.

Honestly, the truly important question is this: when does ESPN's contract end? NFLN doesn't have anything better to run as it's prime time ratings draw in late April. Positioning the network to garner a prime time audience on Thursday & Friday means big money.

JRTPlaya21
04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Umm I dunno if I'm going to watch the 2011 draft lol. 3 days of the same song would really be brutal though. They could always cut back the pick times some more.

Gay Ork Wang
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
its a horrible idea

PossibleCabbage
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I just want them to do away with doing rounds 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 on one day. Return it to the old format, split it into three parts, do whatever. But doing five rounds on one day needs to stop.

Pitt
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I just want them to do away with doing rounds 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 on one day. Return it to the old format, split it into three parts, do whatever. But doing five rounds on one day needs to stop.

Disagree there on the old format. You get to breakdown the first two rounds, all while still having the excitement of the 3rd round (where things are still relevant) on day 2.

tjsunstein
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Who cares what I think? I'll still watch every second. The pros to spreading it out more is more analysis for each pick rather than Sanchez being talked about in the 3rd round... still.

Xiomera
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Hurricanes25
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Why are they trying to fix something thats not broken.

Staubach12
04-28-2009, 05:08 PM
This is a stupid idea. It's not like you're going to get that much better ratings. Sports fans watch the draft, and non-sports fans don't. Changing it from one in the afternoon on a Saturday to "Prime-time" isn't going to change that.

marshallb
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
You know, I wouldn't mind making an entire weekend out of it......

Start round 1 precisely at 8pm eastern on friday, have it run to no later than midnight hopefully, then do rounds 2-3 Saturday, 4-7 sunday....

Or something close to that. Then maybe when I'm trying like hell to see who my team picked in the later rounds, they won't still be talking about picks from 2 days before.......I'd hope anyway.....ugh.

I agree, I don't mind the idea of having round 1 on Friday starting at like 7:30 PM ET, and judging by this year's round 1 time would be done by right around11:00 PM ET. I'd have rounds 2-4 on Saturday and 5-7 on Sunday, but I wouldn't mind it either way.

I totaly agree on the part about them hopefully not talking about stuff that happened within the 1st hour of the draft in the 5th rounds and on. I was stuck watching ESPNs draft coverage(don't know if NFLN was any better or not), but they hardly even mentioned who was taken unless it was a big name player who fell, or a guy they were doing a story on.

abaddon41_80
04-28-2009, 05:33 PM

I hate to be late to the party but I agree as well. I haven't known what to do with myself until 4:00 the last two years.

pr0d1gy
04-28-2009, 06:35 PM
These teams should be given 2 minutes per pick, period. If someone wants to trade they need to do it before the draft or be prepared to do it immediately.

JT Jag
04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I would not be against primetime draft action on Friday, rounds two and three on Saturday, and the "third day" starting on Sunday.

gdamac
04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
NO! God damn it, they're ruining the draft for me. It should start at noon at the latest, and day one should consist of rounds 1-3, which would rap up at around 8.

Exactly, it's not about ratings, it's about teams making themselves better. The NFL is a $6B brand, they need another few million in TV revenues? gimme a break.

sbh15
04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
It would have only have meant 3 days of the ESPN bromance with Mark Sanchez instead of 2 this year. Maybe Trey Wingo would quit his bitching despite getting paid to cover the draft (and do zero analysis), something most of us would just about kill to do.

The Dynasty
04-28-2009, 07:26 PM
They have already done enough damage to the NFL Draft they should just leave it alone.

PossibleCabbage
04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
They have already done enough damage to the NFL Draft they should just leave it alone.

I'd rather they undid the changes done before last year's draft than leave it alone. Rounds 1-3 on saturday and 4-7 on sunday worked just fine, but leave the current time between picks.

The Dynasty
04-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I'd rather they undid the changes done before last year's draft than leave it alone. Rounds 1-3 on saturday and 4-7 on sunday worked just fine, but leave the current time between picks.

Yeah I would love it to be back to normal but I just do see that happening. That is why I wish they can keep it at 4pm on saturday then 10am on sunday. If a person wants to watch the draft they will wake up to watch it.

FlyingElvis
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
This is a stupid idea. It's not like you're going to get that much better ratings. Sports fans watch the draft, and non-sports fans don't. Changing it from one in the afternoon on a Saturday to "Prime-time" isn't going to change that.
The prime time advertising rates would make a huge difference even if the ratings were the same. Chances are the rating might be a little better, but that's a tough call. But it would be more money either way.

Exactly, it's not about ratings, it's about teams making themselves better. The NFL is a $6B brand, they need another few million in TV revenues? gimme a break.
Money is money. Do you really expect the NFL to scoff at "another few million" and just pass on it?

HawkEye30
04-29-2009, 02:09 PM
i say we just declare the draft a holiday and have it all week, a round a day haha nuts. but seriously just keep it like this please roger