PDA

View Full Version : Better draft coverage Espn or the NFL Network?

ricowboy
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Personally, I felt the NFL Network coverage was far superior than ESPN this year. I felt the NFL Network was way more knowlegable about players and the process as a whole. As the draft progressed I really felt like ESPN was just guessing on some of the picks. I think McShay is the worst ESPN has to offer. Kiper is slipping too. We all know the names of the round one guys but, round 4 thru 7 just as important. ESPN just didn't know what was up or down.

falloutboy14
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
At first thought, I was thinking that ESPN would qualify as the more flashy/entertaining, while NFLN would be more in-depth/knowledgable. I didn't watch ESPN myself, but in another thread people were saying that ESPN spent Sunday talking about the 1st round & Mark Sanchez. We all know how ESPN chooses to obsess over the big-name teams/players and that's the reason I chose to spend 99% of my viewing time on NFLN.

I think that NFLN has better video reserves. I got to see 30-40 seconds of clips on my team's 4th round WR. By the end of the draft, Rich Eisen was bragging about the video vaults, and asked fans to e-mail in names, to see if fans could find a player they didn't have a highlight reel for. Took 2-3 tries to eventually get the full-back from a no-name school, but I'm impressed. Mayock knew who he was though, which is impressive.

By the way, nothing is better after spending 6 hours watching the draft, then the giant-heads on NFLN. If you haven't seen it, you have to.

bored of education
04-28-2009, 04:52 PM
At first thought, I was thinking that ESPN would qualify as the more flashy/entertaining, while NFLN would be more in-depth/knowledgable. I didn't watch ESPN myself, but in another thread people were saying that ESPN spent Sunday talking about the 1st round & Mark Sanchez. We all know how ESPN chooses to obsess over the big-name teams/players and that's the reason I chose to spend 99% of my viewing time on NFLN.

I think that NFLN has better video reserves. I got to see 30-40 seconds of clips on my team's 4th round WR. By the end of the draft, Rich Eisen was bragging about the video vaults, and asked fans to e-mail in names, to see if fans could find a player they didn't have a highlight reel for. Took 2-3 tries to eventually get the full-back from a no-name school, but I'm impressed. Mayock knew who he was though, which is impressive.

By the way, nothing is better after spending 6 hours watching the draft, then the giant-heads on NFLN. If you haven't seen it, you have to.

hey Sarf I like your new username. :/

Geason Noceur
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I watched both. It was about the same. Both were meh. Both networks over did the Sanchez story. I'm draft burned out.

By the way, I'm not looking forward to next year's draft. Mayock is in love with Tebow, and as soon as the draft was over both Kiper and McShay brought up Bradford. I can just imagine the Tebow, Bradford and McCoy hoopla that's going to be shoved down out throats. It's going to be nauseating.

Burns336
04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
NFLN ftw..

More knowledgeable and respected people chiming in.

NFLN had Jon Gruden, Charley Casserly, and Mike Lombari giving analysis throughout the day, all 3 of which have sat in numerous war rooms.

I also prefer Mayock and Davis to Kiper and McShay... Mostly because McShay is a turd.

I can't stand Berman, Key, or Cris Carter..

Overall though, ESPN has nothing to offer. They have ex-players giving analysis but their ex players weren't as good as NFLN's ex players and they ESPN has no former GM's (Casserly and Lombardi) or former coaches (Gruden and Billick) because Ditka's old ass doesn't count.

Cicero
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I had NFLN on the computer and ESPN on the tv and NFLN was better. ESPN needed to allot more time for Kiper to break down picks.

Jensen
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I watched some of both and I thought the NFL Network did a much better job. The second day ESPN spent at least half the time I watched it talking about first-round picks and completely ignoring the players getting selected. Then after minutes of discussing who was a better first round pick, they would show a list of the last 3-5 players selected with a couple sentences for each. NFLN went a lot more in depth with the players getting selected and had a lot more to offer IMO. The only thing ESPN had on NFLN was that it looked better set up on the TV. What I mean by that is that the bottom information and stuff like that. It just looked nicer on ESPN than NFLN, but I will take NFLN's knowledge and in-depth analysis over that.

radjohns
04-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Sirius NFL Radio beats them both

pr0d1gy
04-28-2009, 06:14 PM
In everyone's defense this is one of the most random drafts I have seen in years, maybe since the 90's.

That said, I found the ESPN coverage to be more focused on telling jokes and stories on certain players than actually covering each pick as they should. Each pick should be discussed in a 30 second blast promo after they are picked, thus allowing less wise fans to get to know their new rookies.

I Don't have NFL Network and I REALLY MISS IT.

LonghornsLegend
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
NFLN>ESPN all the time, in everything...I hate ESPN, hate McShay, only time I watch is when I'm somewhere that doesn't have NFLN and I'm forced to watch it.

Still don't understand why NFLN isn't on more local networks with how popular it's getting.

OneToughGame
04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
NFLN.

Funny heads. Enough said lol.

Shane P. Hallam
04-28-2009, 08:38 PM
I flipped between them since I did enjoy the NFL Network's coverage, but at least ESPN actually told you the picks during the commercials...

derza222
04-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I flipped between them since I did enjoy the NFL Network's coverage, but at least ESPN actually told you the picks during the commercials...

Yeah, that got really annoying on NFLN. I mostly watched NFLN since I can't stand some of the ESPN guys. Think both could significantly improve their coverage of the draft.

ESPN needs to give Kiper more time and pay more attention to day 2 selections, while NFLN should really adopt a format more like ESPN's for the background. Showing the order, flipping through the teams and who they have selected, showing a best available, etc. Plus showing picks during commercials. My personal opinion at least.

It's frustrating to watch when you know both networks could do a much better job even with what they have, but better than nothing I suppose.

JFLO
04-28-2009, 08:44 PM

Yea, NFL Network got rid of their bottom line thingy when they went to commercial.

Did anyone see the Big Head thing on NFL Network, that was hilarious. Every single analyst looked like Clint Howard.

Burns336
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
All the big heads were so funny. Except for Jamie Dukes.

Jon Gruden looked exactly like Bevis.

Smokey Joe
04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
NFLN's only problems were not announcing picks during the commercials and a lack of Charlie Casserly on the main stage.

OneToughGame
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
NFLN's only problems were not announcing picks during the commercials and a lack of Charlie Casserly on the main stage.

If anything NFLN just needs to get rid of Casserly. Something about the guy just bugs the hell out of me.

josh07039
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I like NFLN better in terms of analysis, but I like Eisen much better than Eisen personality wise. The big reason the analysis on NFLN is better is because the formatting allows for it better. Espn needs to allow Kiper to break down film and talk about the picks during day 2 more rather than keep interviewing gms and players about day 1.

With all that said, I like Espn better as a whole because the guys on the set were much more receptive to me and my friends at the draft than the nfln guys except for Gruden who has a good sense of humor(we got on him about gradkowski a lot and he joked with us about it).

Smokey Joe
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
If anything NFLN just needs to get rid of Casserly. Something about the guy just bugs the hell out of me.
Blasphamey. Casserly is the best, and should be on all the time. You just don't see the greatness in him.

NIN1984
04-28-2009, 10:23 PM
NFL Network by a lot.

bucknut12
04-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I still like ESPN over NFLN. Besides Casserly and Gruden, I can't stand everyone else on NFLN. While I don't understand how Steve Young and K Johnson are on ESPN, I think the most underrated addition for ESPN was Herm Edwards. My dream lineup would be Trey Wingo as host, Kiper, Herm Edwards, Jaws, and Merrill Hodge. The overrated thing about NFLN is there video highlights from the senior bowl n' such.

BigBanger
04-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Eisen is better than Boomer
Mayock is given time to do what he does and Kiper isn't, so Mayock is better than Kiper
Gruden is better tan MeShawn
Mooch is better than Young

NFLN is far better

ESPN also has Todd McShay, so...

Larry
04-29-2009, 01:26 AM
NFLN just hasn't been the same without Adam Schefter.

OneToughGame
04-29-2009, 02:06 AM

Rich Eisen keeps it amazing.

pr0d1gy
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Hell the draft coverage used to be great back in the 90's. They told you about every pick and spent less time trying to entertain & more time informing the viewer.

Gay Ork Wang
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
i really really really missed Adam :/ but yea NFLN is soooo much better

derza222
04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Maybe Schefter makes ESPN a little better, NFLN was definitely better with Schefter.

HawkEye30
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
definitely nfln had the best but i was ready to kill jamie dukes, did anyone see when rich eisen was starting to talk about cutler for some reason and dukes just like started yelling NO RICH THATS NOT HOw IT HAPPENED and eisen was just like "ok ok calm down" , haha shut up dukes your not the host, also charles davis reminds me of a turtle sticking its head out its shell haha his neck is stiff and its like he shows no emotion

Gay Ork Wang
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I hate Charles davis way more than Jamie Dukes, he gets way more time :/

Splat
04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
If ESPN just have a some one host and Kiper talk about each pick it would be gold there is just no need for the other 178967986798 people taking air time from Kiper.

HawkEye30
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
was schefter on espn, i didnt see him when nfln was on commercial

Brent
04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
If ESPN just have a some one host and Kiper talk about each pick it would be gold there is just no need for the other 178967986798 people being their taking air time from Kiper.
I MUST HAVE MOAR ANALYSIS!

Actually, what you described is what I believe used to be the coverage of the draft: one or two hosts and Kiper.

Gay Ork Wang
04-29-2009, 02:19 PM
was schefter on espn, i didnt see him when nfln was on commercial
nah he wasnt. he still has a contract with NFLN

toonsterwu
04-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Easily NFL network for me. Mayock is a better commentator than Kiper or McShay, and Mayock knows his stuff better. I like Eisen over Berman, and Chucky was real good in his first foray. Jamie Dukes - I wish he wasn't there, but overall, NFL Network was much better, IMO.

JFLO
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_large/2009/04/26/rich_eisen_big_head_pft.jpg

04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
That **** with Eisen was classic!