PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone...

the decider13
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
think we are going to finish dead last in the league? I mean really? I could see us picking around the same as this year +-2.

I read in a thread someone saying that they thought the Broncos offense would be horrible. That is just a stupid thing to say. They act like Jay Cutler was the only person on the team worth anything. So annoying.

Anyways, quick vent. Where do you guys see the Broncos finishing this year?

I'm goinna go with a surprising 9-7 and everyone has to say sorry to McD.

Brothgar
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
think we are going to finish dead last in the league? I mean really? I could see us picking around the same as this year +-2.

I read in a thread someone saying that they thought the Broncos offense would be horrible. That is just a stupid thing to say. They act like Jay Cutler was the only person on the team worth anything. So annoying.

Anyways, quick vent. Where do you guys see the Broncos finishing this year?

I'm goinna go with a surprising 9-7 and everyone has to say sorry to McD.

Is it that Jay Cutler is that good or is it that Kyle Orten is that bad? Also you are at lack of a 3-4 NT. You have your OLBs you're missing your ILBs

Diehard
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
It's in vogue to bag on the Broncos right now - McD isn't liked, the Cutler trade was painful, that draft wasn't quite what people expected, etc.

I laughed a bit at some of the early mocks that have Denver, Oakland and KC all having top 10 picks. Pretty hard for that to happen given the number of divisional games on the schedule.

Whoever starts at QB has an excellent offensive line, receiving corps and stable of backs to work with. Assuming mediocre QB play, we should be able to score points.

Defensively, we've got a scheme change and a rebuilt secondary. The front seven gets some marginal veteran guys, Ayers and a few UDFA's - not enough, according to many. We shall see. If McD and Nolan can cobble together a half-decent front using the available parts, then I think we'll do pretty well this coming season. I certainly expect the defense to be more disciplined in their assignments - no more Winborn / Webster way out of position while a RB streaks downfield for a 50 year gain.

The team needs to win some games early to build confidence, as the middle of the schedule appears to be very rough. I'll go with 8-8 as the final record.

the decider13
04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Is it that Jay Cutler is that good or is it that Kyle Orten is that bad? Also you are at lack of a 3-4 NT. You have your OLBs you're missing your ILBs

I doubt we will be running a traditional 3-4, but Marcus Thomas has already been taking snaps at NT and we signed Chris Baker as a UDFA. Also signed two 3-4 ends. DJ is one of the ILBs and Woodyard will probably be the other. So it's not like they have no players.

Timbathia
05-02-2009, 06:49 PM
This post is a bit all over the place, so sorry for that.

This is a funny year for the Broncos, coming off an 8-8 season where we were lucky to win several games. We needed a lot of personnel to get back to serious playoff contention. The offense and defense are learning a completely new system. While we want to win games, surely no-one expects anything more mediocrity this year while working out the new system bugs/personnel issues. The Broncos off-season IMO has been all about putting together a team that can make a run at the playoffs in seasons 2 and 3 of McDaniels tenure.

This season will be about the coaches working out who can play in the new systems, and what holes need to be filled for next year. The offense was much closer to where it needed to be than the defense. In the draft we added offensive players to make sure that was a strength going forward. No point having an offense and defense with holes. On paper the offense now looks good in all positions (QB is a slight question), so I dont understand why people knock the Moreno pick - RB was the last hole on offense. The defense couldnt be fixed in one offseason, so why try by picking marginal players at positions of need. Next off-season we can bring in FAs or draft players for remaining needs on defense.

Last year the Broncos had the worst defense in the league. This year the front seven are no worse than that, but we have a much better secondary. We have veterans that have 2 or 3 years left in them, and now a few rookies that can learn from one of the best cbs and safeties in the game. Learning a new system always causes problem, so this will offset any advances we got in personnel. Result - defense similar in ability to stop other teams compared to last year.

Offense - Lost Cutler, and with it the big play/score from anywhere ability we had. Gained a new system that relies on excellent pass protection (see the fact Tom Brady never washed his jersey in 2007 as it never got dirty). In the draft we added another excellent blocking TE to go along with Graham, as well as o-line backup (the guys we have are great but some getting old). Also add in a rookie RB that is well-known for pass-protection abilities and pass-catching. Orton may not be great, but the protection he gets will be, and if McDaniels can work out plays to get guys open, then Orton will hit them. He doesnt need to do any more than that. Result - the offense will control the ball and clock better than last year and should have less turnovers, but also less big plays. Based on personnel, once the new system is learned (in year 2), the offense should be one of the better ones in the league.

I actually like what the Broncos have done since McDaniels took over, as long as you accept that it is a 2 or 3 year plan, not a "we want to win this year plan". Picks like McBath and Smith were necessary as we have all 30+ year old starters in the secondary. They need this year to learn to get ready for year 2. By shoring up the offense and secondary with rookies and veterans, we have made sure there is only one need left (front seven). No-one has any idea how well the guys we have on the roster will turn out in a 3-4, so lets figure it out this year, and then plug the remaining holes next year in FA and the draft.

This year we will be lucky to win 6 games with the new systems, still weak defense and hard schedule. To me season 2 looks promising. It is easy to knock the Broncos looking at this season, but a new coach should never be about winning in season 1. I have no issue with any of McDaniels moves keeping that in mind (no matter how badly Scott bashes him).

the decider13
05-02-2009, 08:14 PM
That was one of the most well thought out posts....fantastic first post. Welcome to the forums.

I agree that it is hard to expect a lot with new systems on both sides of the ball, but the defense honestly couldn't be any worse. They added quite a bit of talent and depth, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them slightly better, but still in the lower half.

The offense on the other hand, I still think will be very effective. Clady and Harris are good bookends, and if Hamilton/Wiegman can stay healthy, the line will be extremely strong. Then you consider Royal and Marshall developing, and that has to make Orton's job easier. The receiver core is actually quite talented overall. Orton didn't do too bad with a half decent O line, bad receivers and bad weather conditions. He should do much better in Denver's system.

The area you are gonna see the most improvement is gonna be special teams. A lot of the guys that McD got in the draft are special teams demons, and will hopefully keep the Broncos from starting on their own 15 and defending on the 40.

6-8 wins is a very realistic prediction

HawkeyeFan
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Maybe.. for these reasons:

- New Head Coach
- Loss of your Franchise Quarterback
- How will Orton play in your system?
- Can your defense improve?
- Do you guys have enough running backs?

That being said, the Bronco's are one of my surprise teams.

I feel that you guys can come together as a team and leave the haters in the dust. Orton should be fine with those Wide-outs you have, as well as Scheffler.

You've got enough running backs for the division, and Moreno I can see stepping in right away much like Cadilac did a few years ago.

You guys are in the same boat as my Rams, people don't realize that honestly, we're not far away.

Brothgar
05-03-2009, 12:35 AM
I doubt we will be running a traditional 3-4, but Marcus Thomas has already been taking snaps at NT and we signed Chris Baker as a UDFA. Also signed two 3-4 ends. DJ is one of the ILBs and Woodyard will probably be the other. So it's not like they have no players.

Well firstly Marcus Thomas needs to gain weight if they are going to ask him to eat 2 O-Linemen so unless by nontraditional you mean actually a 4-3 Thomas will get eaten alive to put it in perspective Marcus Thomas is 305 lbs while by far your largest lineman he is about 5 lbs heavier than Ziggy hood who is now the Steeler's new DE.Just because you throw bodies in a position doesn't mean that they will excel in it. We assume your DE's will do the job as ruch backers but we don't know that yet either. So yes I will say that if everything goes perfectly personel wise (Thomas does an adequate job at NT Kyle Orten becomes a successful game manager the LBs adjust to being in a 3-4 ILB position Champs age doesn't hurt him and one or two of the 25 RBs on your squad makes some early impact. Then yes playoffs are in sight. The fact that your division sucks may be enough for you guys to stay out of the top 5 lets face it the Raiders and the Cheifs are going into new systems as well.

the decider13
05-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Well firstly Marcus Thomas needs to gain weight if they are going to ask him to eat 2 O-Linemen so unless by nontraditional you mean actually a 4-3 Thomas will get eaten alive to put it in perspective Marcus Thomas is 305 lbs while by far your largest lineman he is about 5 lbs heavier than Ziggy hood who is now the Steeler's new DE.Just because you throw bodies in a position doesn't mean that they will excel in it. We assume your DE's will do the job as ruch backers but we don't know that yet either. So yes I will say that if everything goes perfectly personel wise (Thomas does an adequate job at NT Kyle Orten becomes a successful game manager the LBs adjust to being in a 3-4 ILB position Champs age doesn't hurt him and one or two of the 25 RBs on your squad makes some early impact. Then yes playoffs are in sight. The fact that your division sucks may be enough for you guys to stay out of the top 5 lets face it the Raiders and the Cheifs are going into new systems as well.

I'm not asking to make in to the playoffs, I'm just tired of people that blindly hate on the team that don't know what they are talking about. You at least know what you are talking about.

Now at NT, the Broncos signed Chris Baker as a UDFA. So now I doubt Thomas sees much time at NT. Ronald Fields is bigger than Thomas as well, but he isn't really that good.

As far as the linebackers, Ayers is going to be playing at both DE and OLB, so I'm not sure how that is going to work. The team was shopping Jarvis Moss at the deadline, so he clearly isn't going to work out. Not sure about Crowder either. I think If Boss Bailey can stay healthy for more than a game, he could be an ok OLB because of his speed. Lee Robinson has potential to be a contributer his rookie year at LB, and I think you could end up seeing a lot of Wesley Woodyard. Linebacker is a tough spot to read without seeing them on the field though.

I honestly don't see many question marks on offense though. It always takes a little bit to get used to a new system, but I think once that happens they will do just fine.

phenomenal_waffles
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I hate when people say "OMG how will Orton play in the new system!?"

THE SYSTEM IS PERFECT FOR ORTON! JESUS CHRIST!

Orton is the perfect low arm-strength, checkdown QB that McDaniels seems to love (see: Cassel, Matthew).

Orton will thrive in this system, which is why we'll win at least 5 games.

Diehard
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
THE SYSTEM IS PERFECT FOR ORTON! JESUS CHRIST!

Orton is the perfect low arm-strength, checkdown QB that McDaniels seems to love (see: Cassel, Matthew).

Orton will thrive in this system, which is why we'll win at least 5 games.

Yeah, it also doesn't hurt that Orton put up crazy numbers in the spread at Purdue. Tiller doesn't run the Erhardt system, but there are similarities to be sure.

rascal
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Fields will play NT and from what I remember I thought he did a decent job at San Fran.

I'm expecting 6 wins with this schedule.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
05-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm growing on this team lately. I was just super pissed we got raped in the Cutler trade. I no longer think we'll be the worst team in the league for the next 6 years.

Looking at the schedule I see 6 games we should win.

Bengals, Browns, RaidersX2, ChiefsX2. I don't see us winning any other games, and I don't think we'll win all of those games. So I have us at 5-11, personally.

Brent
05-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Fields will play NT and from what I remember I thought he did a decent job at San Fran.
No, he didnt. In fact, he was worthless.

the decider13
05-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm growing on this team lately. I was just super pissed we got raped in the Cutler trade. I no longer think we'll be the worst team in the league for the next 6 years.

Bengals, Browns, RaidersX2, ChiefsX2. I don't see us winning any other games, and I don't think we'll win all of those games. So I have us at 5-11, personally.

I'm glad you've warmed up slightly lol

It doesn't help that the schedule is very hard, but I don't think the team is going to be the push over that everyone envisioned shortly after the trade. I think the defense will definately be better (as long as some of the rookies/UDFAs see the field and champ stays healthy) and the offense should still be great despite losing Cutler. Orton is no slouch, and now he has dependable receivers with a great, young O line. He also isn't throwing in the hellish wind of soldier field, which has never been flattering to a QB's arm strength.

Timbathia
05-09-2009, 07:38 PM

I honestly think that the trade we got for Cutler was okay, considering the trade had to be made in the end. Orton may end up more effective in this offense than Cutler could have been. We will never know how good Cutler would have been in an offense requiring smarts more than ability, but I think Orton will do well.

The biggest obstacle in winning 6 games will be the fact that 3 of those should wins you highlighted are in the first 3 weeks. There will be growing pains with the big changes in personnel and schemes, so my fear is that it takes half a season to get any rhythm. I agree that we should be much more competitive than everyone is giving us credit for, but we may end up losing a lot of games honorably this year.

Get ready to take our lumps this year, but I am optimistic for the season after.

05-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I honestly think that the trade we got for Cutler was okay, considering the trade had to be made in the end. Orton may end up more effective in this offense than Cutler could have been. We will never know how good Cutler would have been in an offense requiring smarts more than ability, but I think Orton will do well.

The biggest obstacle in winning 6 games will be the fact that 3 of those should wins you highlighted are in the first 3 weeks. There will be growing pains with the big changes in personnel and schemes, so my fear is that it takes half a season to get any rhythm. I agree that we should be much more competitive than everyone is giving us credit for, but we may end up losing a lot of games honorably this year.

Get ready to take our lumps this year, but I am optimistic for the season after.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. And after that is a string of about 9, IIRC, probable losses that could really set us into Lions mode and never let us dig out of it. I would be much more optimistic for the season after if we didn't trade a top 10 pick for the 37th ******* pick. If we're bad enough, that could be the worst trade of all time.

the decider13
05-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I noticed that, too. And after that is a string of about 9, IIRC, probable losses that could really set us into Lions mode and never let us dig out of it. I would be much more optimistic for the season after if we didn't trade a top 10 pick for the 37th ******* pick. If we're bad enough, that could be the worst trade of all time.

But what kind of message does that send to his players? If he traded Chicago's pick, he would be telling his players that he expects the Broncos will do worse than Chicago. McD has faith that he can make this team better than the Bears, and I wouldn't be surprised. Yes the schedule is hard, but it's not like they are going to get blown out every game. I think the team can be competitive and win a few of those games that most people have them slated to lose.

The team did trade a lot of picks, but they still have one pick in each round. The depth is so good in next years draft that you can still grab someone good in the later part of the first. You will miss out on the elite players, but we probably couldn't afford a top 5-10 pick anyway.

05-10-2009, 12:38 PM
But what kind of message does that send to his players? If he traded Chicago's pick, he would be telling his players that he expects the Broncos will do worse than Chicago. McD has faith that he can make this team better than the Bears, and I wouldn't be surprised. Yes the schedule is hard, but it's not like they are going to get blown out every game. I think the team can be competitive and win a few of those games that most people have them slated to lose.

The team did trade a lot of picks, but they still have one pick in each round. The depth is so good in next years draft that you can still grab someone good in the later part of the first. You will miss out on the elite players, but we probably couldn't afford a top 5-10 pick anyway.

I'm sure it would have been possible to put into the language of the trade that they would get whichever pick was higher.