PDA

View Full Version : 2009/2010 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Now that everything from the 08/09 season has happened, I think we should start a new thread for the upcoming one.

To start off, I think that most of the guys we drafted have a good chance of making the 53 man roster. Here's a recap of the 53 guys we had when we won the Superbowl.

QB
Ben Roethlisberger
Byron Leftwich
Dennis Dixon

RB
Willie Parker
Mewelde Moore
Gary Russell

FB
Carey Davis

TE
Heath Miller
Matt Spaeth
Sean McHugh

WR
Hines Ward
Santonio Holmes
Nate Washington
Limas Sweed

OT
Max Starks
Willie Colon
Tony Hills
Jason Capizzi

OG
Chris Kemoeatu
Darnell Stapleton
Trai Essex
Jeremy Parquet

C
Justin Hartwig

DE
Aaron Smith
Brett Keisel
Travis Kirschke
Nick Eason
Oprheus Roye

DT
Casey Hampton
Chris Hoke
Scott Paxson

OLB
James Harrison
LaMarr Woodley
Andre Frazier
Bruce Davis

ILB
James Farrior
Larry Foote
Lawrence Timmons
Keyaron Fox
Patrick Bailey

CB
Ike Taylor
Bryant McFadden
William Gay
Deshea Townsend
Fernando Bryant
Anthony Madison

FS
Ryan Clark
Anthony Smith

SS
Troy Polamalu
Tyrone Carter

K
Jeff Reed

P
Mitch Berger

LS
Jared Retkosfky

---------------------------------------------------------

Now here's a list of all the players we have right now (including draft and UDFA's). Drafted rookies in Green, undrafted Red.

QB:
Ben Roethlisberger
Charlie Batch
Dennis Dixon
Mike Reilly
Kevin McCabe

RB/FB:
Willie Parker
Rashard Mendenhall
Mewelde Moore
Justin Vincent
Stefan Logan
Frank Summers
Isaac Redman
Carey Davis
Sean McHugh
Ryan Powdrell

WR:
Hines Ward
Santonio Holmes
Limas Sweed
Dallas Baker
Martin Nance
Brandon Williams
Mike Wallace
Steven Black
Cedric Goodman
Tyler Grisham

TE:
Heath Miller
Matt Spaeth
Dezmond Sherrod
David Johnson

OT:
Max Starks
Willie Colon
Trai Essex
Tony Hills
Jason Capizzi
Ramon Foster

OG:
Chris Kemoeatu
Darnell Stapleton
Kraig Urbik

C:
Justin Hartwig
Doug Legursky
A.Q. Shipley

DE:
Aaron Smith
Brett Keisel
Travis Kirschke
Nick Eason
Jordan Reffett
Evander Hood
Ra'Shon Harris
Jeff Bradley

DT:
Casey Hampton
Chris Hoke
Scott Paxson
Steve McLendon

OLB:
James Harrison
LaMarr Woodley
Bruce Davis
Andre Frazier
Patrick Bailey
Arnold Harrison
Donovan Woods

ILB:
James Farrior
Lawrence Timmons
Larry Foote
Keyaron Fox
Tom Korte
Andrew Schantz

CB:
Ike Taylor
William Gay
Deshea Townsend
Fernando Bryant
Anthony Madison
Roy Lewis
Keiwan Ratliff
Keenan Lewis
Joe Burnett

S:
Troy Polamalu
Ryan Clark
Tyrone Carter
Ryan Mundy
Derrick Richardson

K:
Jeff Reed

P:
Daniel Sepulveda

LS:
Greg Warren
Jared Retkofsky
Mark Estermeyer

---------------------------------------------------------------

Out of those guys, I think the roster ends as follows:

QB: Roethlisberger - Batch - Dixon
RB: Parker - Mendenhall - Moore - Summers
FB: Davis
WR: Ward - Holmes - Sweed - Wallace
TE: Miller - Spaeth - McHugh
LT: Starks - Hills
LG: Kemoeatu - Essex
C: Hartwig - Shipley
RG: Urbik - Stapleton
RT: Colon - Capizzi

LE: Smith - Eason - Hood
RE: Keisel - Kirschke
NT: Hampton - Hoke
LOLB: Woodley - Davis - Frazier
ILB: Farrior - Timmons - Fox - Bailey
ROLB: J. Harrison - Davis - A. Harrison
CB: Taylor - G.ay - Townsend - Madison - Lewis - Burnett
FS: Clark - Mundy
SS: Polamalu - Carter

K: Reed
P: Sepulveda
LS: Warren

Practice Squad:
DE Ra'Shon Harris
TE David Johnson
QB Mike Reilly
RB Isaac Redman
WR Tyler Grisham
OT Ramon Foster
ILB Tom Korte
S Derrick Richardson

That's 53 players and 8 on the PS.

Those who don't make it are:
QB Kevin McCabe
RB Justin Vincent
RB Stefan Logan
FB Ryan Powdrell
WR Dallas Baker
WR Martin Nance
WR Brandon Williams
WR Steven Black
WR Cedric Goodman
TE Dezmond Sherrod
C Doug Legursky
DE Jordan Reffet
DE Jeff Bradley
DT Scott Paxson
DT Steve McLendon
OLB Donovan Woods
ILB Larry Foote
ILB Andrew Schantz
CB Fernando Bryant
CB Roy Lewis
CB Keiwan Ratliff
LS Jarek Retkofsky
LS Mark Estermeyer

That's 7 out of our 9 picks making the team, and the other 2 are on the PS.

mikehop05
04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
thats a pretty solid break down and pretty accurate i think

Pitt
04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
You have all brand new guys on the Practice Squad...since when does that happen?

There is always a 2nd or 3rd year guy on there, because that is how the growing process works with these 7th rounders / UDFA's.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Evander Hood is going to be #96.

Hines
04-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I hate you.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I hate you.

Hate is a strong word. :D

And why, may I ask?

SCSteeler
04-29-2009, 07:46 PM
who's Tyler Grisham?...and why is he on the PS and not Martin Nance? I thought M. Nance had a chance?

Hines
04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Hate is a strong word. :D

And why, may I ask?

You took the thread I was going to start before training camp started.

glennjamen3
04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
who's Tyler Grisham?...and why is he on the PS and not Martin Nance? I thought M. Nance had a chance?

I thought the coaching staff was pretty high on Baker too... I mean I guess they all can't make it though. It's so nice to see Sep back on there. And how do you think kick and punt returns shake out this year?

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2009, 10:14 PM

For the PS, I just put the guys who seem like the best UDFA's. Didn't really consider Nance and others, partially because they have some experience in the league and the newbies don't, giving them more time to develop. I guess that factor can work for or against them.

And how do you think kick and punt returns shake out this year?

Compared to last year, I think we have much, MUCH, better returners in our team this year. Guys who can return are:

Mewelde Moore
Rashard Mendenhall
Santonio Holmes
Stefan Logan
Mike Wallace
Joe Burnett
Brandon Williams

Maybe some of the UDFA's.

I think that the best returners right now are:

Santonio Holmes
Stefan Logan
Mike Wallace
Joe Burnett

Holmes proved his talent in the post-season. Logan was a great returner in the CFL. Both Burnett and Wallace broke many records in NCAA.

In other words, the return game just got a good boost.

Mr. Stiller
04-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Tyler Grisham is a scrawny White possession WR from Clemson, he was overshadowed by Jacoby Ford and Aaron Kelly, but the guy was one of the most clutch receivers..

Probably behind Nicks, Robiskie, Dillard.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 12:33 PM
We cut long snapper Jared Retkofsky. Now we have two guys, Greg Warren and UDFA Mark Estermyer.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/04/30/sports/steelers/doc49f9354ebc8cf113410178.txt

Supposedly Estermyer is a "student of long snapping," who looks at a ton of film and is, as Scott put it, "the football equivalent of a gym rat."

His contract is half of what Warren earns, so do you guys think the team sacrifices experience for a little cap room?

mikehop05
04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
We cut long snapper Jared Retkofsky. Now we have two guys, Greg Warren and UDFA Mark Estermyer.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/04/30/sports/steelers/doc49f9354ebc8cf113410178.txt

Supposedly Estermyer is a "student of long snapping," who looks at a ton of film and is, as Scott put it, "the football equivalent of a gym rat."

His contract is half of what Warren earns, so do you guys think the team sacrifices experience for a little cap room?

it all depends on camp, if estermyer can perform just as well as warren, then we will use that cap room

if warren is still better, then i think we keep him

Hines
04-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I am excited to see Hills play this training camp. I think if he performs well, he could be our RT after the upcoming season and we will let Colon walk. I read that he got bigger and stronger. That could really help our offensive line. Plus, Essex could play all five spots along the offensive line. How about we try him at C or RG?

Hines
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
We signed P Dirk Johnson, WR Shaun McDonald, Piotr Czech, along with Ratliff. Not Lelie, but I like McDonald.

Edit: Czech and Johnson will only be competition for Reed and Sepulveda. I don't think Ratliff makes the team after our moves at cornerback, and I hope we save a spot for Madison still.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
We signed P Dirk Johnson, WR Shaun McDonald, Piotr Czech, along with Ratliff. Not Lelie, but I like McDonald.

Edit: Czech and Johnson will only be competition for Reed and Sepulveda. I don't think Ratliff makes the team after our moves at cornerback, and I hope we save a spot for Madison still.

Where'd you read this? I'm looking for it but can't find it.

Yeah, out of those guys I think that McDonald is the most likely to stick with the team after the 53-man roster.

Ah, Kevin Colbert and his knack for finding solid players in former Lions.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
The Broncos released RB Selvin Young.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Alto0VjZwwQw9LjFOUZJLPBDubYF?slug=ap-broncos-young&prov=ap&type=lgns

Should we take a look?

I know we already have four RB's that pretty much fill up every single role our team could have, but he's a good RB and would probably come cheap. And last year we also tried to sign Kevin Jones, already having Willie, Mendenhall, Moore, and Russell on our squad.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Still haven't found anything on McDonald....

Strongside
04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
We still won't have enough to sign all the rookies, and that includes cutting/trading Foote. More big-ish signings are unlikely.

Strongside
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d30-BREAKING-STEELER-NEWS-Team-signs-veteran-receiver-McDonald

It was also on the official Steelers site, but now it's gone for some reason.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM

NVM, found this on BTSC:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/4/30/860073/btsc-steelers-daily-six-pack-shaun?ref=yahoo

It says there we signed him. And it also has the video I told you guys about Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis. The interview on ESPN2's First Take.

It also has an article where Ziggy Hood was asked if he believed that scouts where right when they said he needed more lower body strength.

Ziggy responded saying he can squat 720 freaking pounds.

Steelersfan4life
04-30-2009, 07:52 PM
My family and I have a horse and it just gave birth to a boy, so we're naming it Ziggy :)

mikehop05
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
idk if we did sign shaun, when clicking on the link to the steeler site, the link doesnt work

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
My family and I have a horse and it just gave birth to a boy, so we're naming it Ziggy :)

Congrats and nice!

He's gonna be a strong, tough, and durable horse with a non-stop motor. :)

steel man
04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
are we going to use this one now?

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Superbowl plays redone in the upcoming Madden 10.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/nfl/2009/04/30/0904.sizzle.SportsIllustrated/index.html

brat316
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
The Steelers added five free agents today prior to the start of their annual minicamp, the team announced. The team added cornerback Keiwan Ratliff, punter Dirk Johnson, wide receivers Shaun McDonald and Jayson Foster, and kicker Piotr (peet-er) Czech.

Ratliff and McDonald I think end up staying, making the roster

Smooth Criminal
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I love the Mcdonald signing. He's got great speed and played well in Detroit.

Hines
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Ratliff and McDonald I think end up staying, making the roster

I don't see Ratliff making it.

I see our corners as Ike, G ay, DT, Lewis, Smokin Joe, and Madison.

Hines
05-01-2009, 01:47 PM
First day of minicamp was today. I read that Dixon threw the ball very well and could unseat Batch for the backup job. I hope we dress Dixon because we could run the wildcat or just have him run the option with Mendenhall and/or Parker. I read Mendenhall has looked very, very good. I see Parker out soon. I hope Mendenhall gets the bulk of the carries. Sweed has gotten over his wrist injuries and is catching the ball very well. Should be the number 3 IMO.

I see our recieving corps being:

1. Holmes
2. Hines
3. Sweed
4. McDonald
5. Wallace

Very solid if you ask me. McDonald will come in on third down if we need a first down.

Stefan Logan looked good returning punts. Our special teams should be improved a lot this season. I think this could be a special season for us.

terribletowel39
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I thought this was interesting. Just something to look at when you are bored.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=25&year=2008

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey Steelers fans, I was wondering do you know who will replace Marvel Smith? I checked on your site and they didnt have a depth chart up

mikehop05
05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey Steelers fans, I was wondering do you know who will replace Marvel Smith? I checked on your site and they didnt have a depth chart up

Max Starks, he replaced him after he went down for the remainder of the season

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I see so it wont be a big loss losing Smith. JW how your team will replace him for next year. I know we should be expecting 2-3 more exciting wars just like this past year when we face off.

mikehop05
05-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I see so it wont be a big loss losing Smith. JW how your team will replace him for next year. I know we should be expecting 2-3 more exciting wars just like this past year when we face off.

yeah it wont be a big deal IMO, smith only played part of the first game vs you guys

and im sure we will have a couple epic battles again

Mr. Goosemahn
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
So rookie numbers are out. Here they are:

Draft:
#96 Evander "Ziggy" Hood - DE
#65 Kraig Urbik - OG
#17 Mike Wallace - WR
#20 Keenan Lewis - CB
#40 Joe Burnett - CB
#44 Frank "The Tank" Summers - HB
#73 Ra'Shon "Sonny" Harris - DE
#61 A.Q. Shipley - C
#85 David Johnson - TE

UDFA:
#8 Kevin McCabe - QB
#13 Mike Reilly - QB
#18 Steven Black - WR
#19 Tyler Grisham - WR
#33 Isaac Redman - RB
#45 Derrick Richardson - S
#46 Andrew Schantz - LB
#47 Tom Korte - LB
#48 Mark Estermyer - LS
#67 Jeff Bradley - DT/DE
#69 Steve McClendon - DE
#73 Ramon Foster (repeated with Ra'Shon Harris, don't know why) - OT/OG
#80 Cedric Goodman - WR

Free Agents:
#87 Shaun McDonald - WR
#27 Keiwan Ratliff - CB
#6 Dirk Johnson - P
#5 Piotr Czech - K
#11 Jason Foster - WR

terribletowel39
05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Who is Jason Foster??

Everything looks pretty good. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nobody trying to grab a legends number. Although anytime anybody wears number 20, I think it is a sin. Barry Sanders wore #20.

brat316
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Jayson is a PS player, who has bounced around with the Steelers, Dolphins and Broncos. Instead of losing him I think they just decided to sign him.

steel man
05-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Who is Jason Foster??

Everything looks pretty good. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nobody trying to grab a legends number. Although anytime anybody wears number 20, I think it is a sin. Barry Sanders wore #20.

NO! the number that no one should ever wear again is #58 (Jack Lambert) because that number was wore by the best football player ever.

terribletowel39
05-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't care if this gets me neg repped but Jack Lambert couldn't tackle Barry Sanders in a phonebooth. And I LOVE me some Jack Lambert. I have a t-shirt with is ugly grille on it. But just no. Barry Sanders made EVERYONE look silly.

steel man
05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
all it would take is for Lambert to hit him one time and Barry would never run again

terribletowel39
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
/discussion

Mr. Goosemahn
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
and then Jordyzzzzzz Nelsonzzzzzzzzzz bitchslaps them both, runs over them both, and scores 31 td's in 1 quarter.

True story. :D

Mr. Goosemahn
05-01-2009, 06:17 PM
First pictures of minicamp!

I only put pics of the new guys.

Evander "Ziggy" Hood:
http://i41.tinypic.com/124dag8.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2jyiv.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/8zfh3m.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2a9b6u1.jpg

Mike Wallace:
http://i41.tinypic.com/20st0e9.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/30c3dz6.jpg

Keenan Lewis:
http://i43.tinypic.com/23u4yvt.jpg

Frank "THE TANK" Summers:
(look at that freaking leg! it's a rock)
http://i43.tinypic.com/b7ngiv.jpg

Ra'Shon "Sonny" Harris:
http://i40.tinypic.com/axg22q.jpg

David Johnson:
http://i42.tinypic.com/e9swuf.jpg

Cedric Goodman:
http://i44.tinypic.com/w6y2k5.jpg

skarocksoi
05-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Sonny looks like he needs to hit the gym a little bit before he can make an impact on the D line. PS him or leave him on the active team and dont dress him?

Also, Wallace has a pointy head. More aerodynamic? Just throwing it out there.

Steelersfan4life
05-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Not saying that I want this to happen, but do you see us turning to a 4-3 when Dick Lebeu retires? We took Ziggy who could be great in a 4-3, we are getting rid of Foote leaving only Farrior and Timmons, after Farrior leaves we don't have anthor MLB. And Mike Tomlin came from a 4-3 defense.

Hines
05-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Keith Butler will be the DC and still run a 34 defense.

mikehop05
05-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Sonny looks like he needs to hit the gym a little bit before he can make an impact on the D line. PS him or leave him on the active team and dont dress him?

Also, Wallace has a pointy head. More aerodynamic? Just throwing it out there.

lol, hes just rockin that fo' hawk

mikehop05
05-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Not saying that I want this to happen, but do you see us turning to a 4-3 when Dick Lebeu retires? We took Ziggy who could be great in a 4-3, we are getting rid of Foote leaving only Farrior and Timmons, after Farrior leaves we don't have anthor MLB. And Mike Tomlin came from a 4-3 defense.

i feel like tomlin knows and is comfortable with the 34 now, i think as long as hes here, thats what we run

Hines
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jixyYRkaC-k

Our UDFA running back, Isaac Redman. For a big guy, he sure can move well. There are three videos, but he really impressed me in his first one. Could be be a gem?

SCSteeler
05-01-2009, 11:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jixyYRkaC-k

Our UDFA running back, Isaac Redman. For a big guy, he sure can move well. There are three videos, but he really impressed me in his first one. Could be be a gem?

some of those highlights are SICK! and you're right, he can move very well for a big guy. Is there room on the roster for him and the Tank?

Mr. Goosemahn
05-02-2009, 01:18 AM
some of those highlights are SICK! and you're right, he can move very well for a big guy. Is there room on the roster for him and the Tank?

His field vision is amazing, he knows where everybody is. I can't really seem to see how fast he really is, as he doesn't seem to ever turn on the jets, but he breaks a ton of tackles.

He's listed as 6'0 and 230 lbs, so yeah, he moves pretty well for a guy his size. Maybe too well...

I think he needs some work, and I'd like to see him play against guys who literally tackle for a living. But overall, he does seem like a guy who shouldn't have gone undrafted, and most of those plays are spectacular. Hopefully he does develop into the next great Steeler UDFA.

Mr. Stiller
05-02-2009, 07:17 AM

I can't see it.

My thoughts are Tomlin is just bringing the pro's of the tampa2 defense (Coverage's and athleticism), but he's doing it with players that fit the 3-4 defense as well.

Hines
05-02-2009, 08:50 AM
His field vision is amazing, he knows where everybody is. I can't really seem to see how fast he really is, as he doesn't seem to ever turn on the jets, but he breaks a ton of tackles.

He's listed as 6'0 and 230 lbs, so yeah, he moves pretty well for a guy his size. Maybe too well...

I think he needs some work, and I'd like to see him play against guys who literally tackle for a living. But overall, he does seem like a guy who shouldn't have gone undrafted, and most of those plays are spectacular. Hopefully he does develop into the next great Steeler UDFA.

I hope we stash him on the PS for a few years. He certainly has more upside than Justin Vincent. If he shows enough, maybe we could have him make the roster as a 4th running back.

RB: Parker/Mendenhall/Moore/Redman
FB: Tank or McHugh

But I really see it as this:

RB: Parker/Mendenhall/Moore/Tank
FB: Davis

SCSteeler
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09122/967203-66.stm

...at the bottom of the page (from the PG), it says Martin Nance isn't at camp for something? Does anyone know if it's an injury or is it one of those personal reasons?

Mr. Goosemahn
05-02-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09122/967203-66.stm

...at the bottom of the page (from the PG), it says Martin Nance isn't at camp for something? Does anyone know if it's an injury or is it one of those personal reasons?

I think it's a somewhat excused personal reason. I seriously doubt that a guy who's competing for a roster spot skips the first day of minicamp for anything that's not important.

Strongside
05-03-2009, 12:27 AM
It's good to hear that Dixon is doing well this off-season, it would be awesome if he could unseat Batch.

But I'm hoping the "Dixon looks like he should unseat Batch" means Dixon is looking really good as opposed to Batch is looking rusty.

Like the last few off-seasons, Townsend is working out at safety as well as corner again. Anyone think we could actually move him there this time? We are pretty thin there with only Mundy and Carter, maybe Lewis but I think he is a corner. And we have far more depth at corner with Ratliff, Lewis, other Lewis, Madison, Burnett and Bryant.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-03-2009, 12:40 AM
It's good to hear that Dixon is doing well this off-season, it would be awesome if he could unseat Batch.

But I'm hoping the "Dixon looks like he should unseat Batch" means Dixon is looking really good as opposed to Batch is looking rusty.

Like the last few off-seasons, Townsend is working out at safety as well as corner again. Anyone think we could actually move him there this time? We are pretty thin there with only Mundy and Carter, maybe Lewis but I think he is a corner. And we have far more depth at corner with Ratliff, Lewis, other Lewis, Madison, Burnett and Bryant.

Here's the link with the Dixon info and the Townsend info as well for those who haven't seen it.

Dixon might be able to unseat Batch. It'd be nice to have a good, young QB as the back-up, knowing that he can develop much more than Batch can now, and he might even become some valuable trade-bait at some point.

As for Townsend, I think he starts off at corner and gradually switches to safety, but only if required. Tomlin rarely uses rookies, even if they might be somewhat productive. In his first year, Timmons mainly played special teams, and Woodley was in for only, like, 60 snaps all season long, post season combined. Spaeth is still a back-up, Sepulveda did actually start as a rookie, Stephenson and McBean were cut, G.ay is supposed to start this year, and Baker is still a guy who isn't really out of the practice squad yet.

Out of last year's rookies, Mendy played in, like, two games (including the one with his injury), Sweed was never a factor, Davis didn't play, Hills didn't play, Dixon had one pass in the regular-season closer, Humpal was cut and Mundy was on the PS.

That's why I think that Deshea actually sticks at CB again. If G.ay or Taylor are hurt, then Townsend starts. Plus, and I might be wrong on this, I think that learning two different positions might kind of screw him up. Might be wrong on this, but nevertheless...

In any case, Townsend is great to have as depth. And as a mentor to the new guys.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-03-2009, 12:43 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_623419.html

Bruce Davis is eager to contribute.

He lost some pounds (262 to 255) but gained speed and muscle, according to him.

Can't wait to see how he pans out.

brat316
05-03-2009, 12:46 AM
you can say Gay now

Mr. Goosemahn
05-03-2009, 12:47 AM
you can say Gay now

Woah...when did that happen?

William Gay is a starting cornerback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Edit: just checking, cool.

Hines
05-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Gay is going to be a good one IMO.

I think Davis could come in and contribute for a handful of sacks this year, but will reck havoc in the backfield at the very least.

SCSteeler
05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Gay is going to be a good one IMO.

I think Davis could come in and contribute for a handful of sacks this year, but will reck havoc in the backfield at the very least.

Could Davis take Harrisons spot, when he's done? Or is Davis strictly a situational rusher?

SCSteeler
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoID=101842

Killer video, interviews with Urbik and Summers! They seem like smart, solid guys! I'm hyped!...check out The Tanks trapz!

skarocksoi
05-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Yay for Gay! I think Townsend will stay at nickle and a backup safety like Carter will be the dime back. Eventually though one of the rookies (probably Lewis) or maybe Ratliff if he makes the team will come in. Probably by the end of the season like how we worked in Woodley last year.

I can see Townsend retiring after this year and one of the Rookies taking over at nickle and dime respectively. Hopefully Lewis gets the playbook down fast enough that he can come in pretty early and we dont have to have carter back there.

Strongside
05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
With this minicamp over, I think we release/trade Foote tomorrow. And I think it'll be release.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Some notes about the minicamp that I was able to gather from many sources. There isn't information about everyone though...

QB
Ben Roethlisberger has supposedly fully healed from every single injury he had last season, including the rib injury that he endured during the Superbowl and the shoulder injury that nagged him all season long.

Charlie Batch was a little bit rusty, but that was from not playing at all last season (hopefully).

Dennis Dixon looked great and, if he continues like this in training camp, could give Charlie Batch some legitimate competition for the #2 QB spot.

RB
Willie Parker ran for the first time since the Superbowl. He said that, unlike previous years, he didn't work out that much previous to minicamp and let his body rest and heal. He called last season a "fluke" and does not seem to be worried at all about the situation with his contract.

Rashard Mendenhall would have been able to play last year in the post-season had he not been on the IR. He seemed to be in just as good, if not better, shape than he was at this point last year. He is eager to contribute now that he feels more comfortable with the system.

Mewelde Moore has a sprained ankle, or something of the sort, because he was stepped on. However, Tomlin said that he should be able to resume all training by the end of next week.

Frank Summers' power was clearly evident in the drills, even though they were non-contact drills. He also said that he once or twice felt the urge to simply run straight and through a would-be-tackler. That's how much he likes to hit.

WR
Hines Ward sat out through all practices due to injury, but still served as a mentor/coach to others.

Holmes new-found maturity is apparently showing. Players have more respect towards him for his Superbowl MVP award, and many claim that, ironically, last year's marijuana blunder has set him on the right track to success. He's supposedly in great shape and is eager to demonstrate that his superb play in the post-season will carry on to the regular season.

Sweed is also trying to improve for next season. He knows that the competition for the #3 spot will be tough, but he's confident that he'll work very hard and ultimately earn it.

Mike Wallace showed his speed and apparently Ben loves it. He said he's never played with a guy that fast and that he could potentially add a whole new dimension to the offense, one that wasn't even there with Washington.

Dallas Baker was spectacular. He caught everything that was thrown his way and is apparently ready to battle for, get this, the #3 spot too. Not #5, not #4, but #3! Man, he must've played well!

Not much on McDonald, other that he's also good competition for the #3 spot.

Martin Nance was absent for reasons that will supposedly be determined tomorrow (or today, monday).

TE
Heath Miller is looking forward to next season, and hopes to have a somewhat bigger impact. He also wants to start negotiating a long-term contract.

OL
Max Starks looked in better shape than he was during the Superbowl. He's much more confident about his role in the team, and also looks forward to getting a long-term contract done. He, as did Kemoeatu, said that with more practice, the line will be MUCH improved from last season.

Kraig Urbik is not focused on competing for the starting RG spot, but rather at trying to succeed in any type of competition he finds himself in. He's extremely motivated to be in a run-heavy team, and is working hard at learning the playbook.

A.Q. Shipley has coaches astounded. Not only did he ask (or is about to ask) for Mike Webster's number (52), but he's digesting the playbook at an unbelievable rate. Shipley scored a 40 in the wonderlic, which was the SECOND HIGHEST OF ALL PLAYERS IN THE DRAFT! A coach even said that if he kept on learning and playing at this level, he would not only make the team, but he'd at least dress up for games and might even be considered as legitimate competition for the center spot. Talk about a great player in the seventh round!

Ramon Foster was apparently the best UDFA out there. Coaches are excited at his upside at the guard, and not the tackle, position, although they said that he can play both. He's a great run-blocker, and could become another versatile o-line guy that can play multiple positions. They said that his technique could definitely improve, but that he showed extreme determination to improve and battle for a roster spot.

DL
Aaron Smith is extremely happy that his son is winning the battle vs. leukemia. Teammates said that they hadn't seen him as excited and happy as he is right now in a couple of months.

Casey Hampton arrived excited to play and determined to retire a Steeler. He didn't gain weight, and says that avoiding the training-camp fiasco he had last year will only help him improve his camaraderie with the guys, as well as his play on the D-Line.

Ziggy hood showed his non-stop motor, as he gave full-out effort in many of his plays. DLine coach John Mitchell is supposedly very excited to have a talent as him to mold into the next great Steeler DE.

Ra'Shon Harris did well, but he needs to lose some fat and gain muscle. As of now, he looks like a practice squad player, but he did show why the coaches think he has great upside.

LB
Larry Foote did not show up to any of the practices, but he was excused. Detroit has also hinted at the fact that they might not be interested in trading for him.

James Farrior is a little sad that Foote is leaving, as he was a great friend and locker-room guy. But he also knows that Timmons is a force, and that "he could become one of the best in the game." He also said that Timmons is actually one of the best overall athletes in the entire team.

James Harrison started working out two days after the Superbowl, and is as ready as every to IMPROVE upon his last season. He wants to demonstrate that he deserves the money he earned, rather than simply giving the impression that he was a two year wonder.

LaMarr Woodley is also seeking to improve upon his past season. He wants to mantain his consistency throughout the entire season, as he had a slight drop in sacks in the final part of the regular season.

Bruce Davis has made quite a change. He says that his speed-pass-rushing is extremely polished, and that he lost seven pounds. He's down to 255, and he says he's gained a half-step, which means he's an even better speed rusher. He also said that he did gain quite a bit of muscle, and that his bull-rushing has definitely improved. He did acknowledge that it can still be improved upon, but that it's extremely better than it was last year. He says he's not as much as a one-dimensional pass-rusher as he first was after exiting college.

DB
Troy Polamalu is not worried at all about the Madden Curse. He says he's not a big video game fan, and he doesn't believe in all this curse stuff. He worked in his off-season program again, saying that it was part of the reason why he was able to play in every single game last season, and play at a very, VERY, high level.

Ryan Clark was held out of practice because he's still recovering from an injury, and also because Tomlin jokingly said that Ryan always finds a way to deliver a huge hit, even in non-contact drills.

ST
Neither Greg Warren nor Daniel Sepulveda are fully recovered from their injuries. Warren still walks with a limp. Sepulveda's injury is of a little more concern, as it's been almost an entire year and he still hasn't fully recovered.

Mark Estermyer also has an uncanny amount of ST and Long-snapping knowledge. It's rumored that if Warren doesn't return to his pre-injury form (where his long-snapping was actually rated among the best in the league, although I don't really know how you mesure it), Estermyer gets the job.

Jared Retkofsky was released because he had a motorcycle accident and injured his arm. He arrived in a sling, and was consequently released.

And that's it! Can't wait for the next camp, and then training camp!

mikehop05
05-04-2009, 01:16 AM
great **** man, great ****

Mr. Goosemahn
05-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Hly Sht, this is disgusting! Apparently Holt did it when we played the Rams back in the 07-08 season, a game where Ben had a perfect QB rating :)

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/seahawks/2009/05/04/torry_holts_cro.html

terribletowel39
05-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I think it is weird but cool at the same time.

If he wants to keep it as a symbol of him playing the game, more power to him.

Strongside
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
We released Foote today.

steel man
05-04-2009, 07:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4137639

Steelersfan4life
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
He's been good to us, so I wish him the best.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-04-2009, 07:43 PM
He's been good to us, so I wish him the best.

Lol at your sig, although you gotta switch the 77 to a 78 because Marvel is gone and Starks is playing there.

steel man
05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
i can see our D setting the record for the most sacks from a duo or triplet and as a team

skarocksoi
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Hly Sht, this is disgusting! Apparently Holt did it when we played the Rams back in the 07-08 season, a game where Ben had a perfect QB rating :)

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/seahawks/2009/05/04/torry_holts_cro.html

How does he use it if its crooked like that? That's just weird. I guess he bats right handed, if you know what I'm sayin'.

mikehop05
05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
How does he use it if its crooked like that? That's just weird. I guess he bats right handed, if you know what I'm sayin'.

hahaha, idk maybe that creates some crazy frictional feeling and thats why he decided to keep it like that

Strongside
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Foote signed to a 1-year deal

http://davebirkett.blogspot.com/

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...as_agreed.html

Mr. Goosemahn
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Here's an analysis of current state of the team, with specific analysis for each position. It also says if we worsened or improved. This, as was my last post, is a mixture of notes and opinions from many sources.

NOTE: This is not my personal opinion, just the overall thoughts of many people.

QB = Worsened
While we still have Big Ben (and that's all we need to get the seventh Lombardi) and he's fully recovered from all injuries, the back-up QB situation took a hit. Byron Leftwich was (and is still actually considered by some) a franchise quarterback who's career was derailed by injuries. As of now, the depth behind Roethlisberger consists of:

Charlie Batch, who's coming back from a broken collarbone and didn't play at all last season.
Dennis Dixon, a promising second-year man who did well in minicamp, but still has to prove he can play well in actual games.
Two UDFA's, who will most likely end up in the practice squad.

As a Steeler, Leftwich actually posted some very respectable numbers (considering the time he played). He played in five games, completed 21 passes out of 36 attempts, threw for 303 yards with 2 touchdowns and no interceptions, and was sacked three times. He also ran for another touchdown. Yeah, he had a slow release and all, but most of Steeler Nation eventually became more comfortable to having him as the back-up than Charlie Batch. He unfortunately left looking to compete for a starting job, and signed with the Bucs, who then stabbed him in the back and drafted Kansas State's Josh Freeman in the first round. Hopefully he gets released and he returns, as he had stated that if he were to be a back-up, he'd like to remain in Pittsburgh. That's why the QB situation worsened.

RB = Improved
Fast Willie Parker thinks he's in better shape for training camp than he has been in a long time, and that can only translate into good things for the team. Mewelde Moore proved his worth last season, and he will still be the versatile RB who can both run and catch well. We get 1st round pick Rashard Mendenhall back, and he's bound to be a boost to the running game. We upgraded our power-back situation with Frank Summers, who'll replace Gary Russell after he was released. Summers likes to hit people, and that's something that can't really be taught to a runningback. Plus, he's a great special teams player. We might have found a good player in UDFA Isaac Redman, as well as with Stefan Logan. Carey Davis might or might not compete with Summers for the FB spot, but at least Davis is a valuable ST asset, as he makes a ton of tackles. The return of an injured 1st round RB, keeping two starters and valuable backup, and upgrading a role RB is definitely an improved situation for the team.

WR = Improved
We resigned Hines Ward to a long-term deal, ensuring he retires a Steeler. Now we have two Superbowl MVP wide receivers on the team. Holmes finally broke out in the 2009 playoffs, and many think that now is when he translates that talent to the regular season. Nate Washington left, but to fill the void he left we drafted Ole Miss' bullet Mike Wallace, who is basically as athletic as Washington, but has somewhat better hands. Wallace ran a 4.28 40, had a 40'' vertical, and is as good a deep threat as they come. We also signed veteran WR Shaun McDonald, who is also a solid option at WR. Dallas Baker and Martin Nance will battle for a roster spot, and both should have improved from when they first joined the team last season. We also signed three UDFA's. The most intriguing case, however, is Limas Sweed. Last year's second round pick, he failed to live up to the hype that surrounded him in his rookie season. He's more remembered for his drops than his catches. However, the possibility of winning the #3 spot has already fueled his interest to get better, and he still has all the talent people said he once had. If he returns to his pre-wrist-injury form, then he'll be a devastating force for Pittsburgh. We also signed Jayson Foster, although he's mainly a ST guy.

TE = Same
We still have Heath Miller (although in the last year of his contract) as the starter, and Matt Spaeth as his back-up. Sean McHugh is the versatile guy who can play both TE and FB. Seventh round pick David Johnson is similar to McHugh, but he's expected to provide little impact and be on the PS for a year.

OT = Worsened
We franchised Max Starks and re-signed Willie Colon, and therefore have our starting tackles once again. However, we lost Marvel Smith, who was still the starter when not injured. Tony Hills remains a question when it comes to how well he's playing, and Trai Essex, the versatile guy who can play multiple O-Line positions was resigned. Ultimately, we kept the majority of our guys, but failed to add someone else. Depth is pretty thin, and an injury to any of the two starting tackles could prove to be devastating.

OG = Improved
Starters Chris Kemoeatu and Darnell Stapleton remain with the team, and Kemo is locked up for another five years. We released Kendall Simmons, which translates into saved cap space and releasing a guy who was, sadly, overrated. We drafted road-grater Kraig Urbik in the third round, and signed Ramon Foster as an UDFA. While being a tackle in college, Foster will most likely switch to guard, as his run-blocking abilities would most likely translate better at that position. While still losing a veteran, we obtained two young guys, one of which can start immediately.

C = Improved
Justin Hartwig remains on the team (last year, though), and Darnell Stapleton can also play center. Second year man Doug Legursky will battle for a roster spot with seventh rounder A.Q. Shipley, who astounded coaches with his intelligence during minicamp. Getting a new guy can't hurt, though, and he could become a steal.

NT = Same
Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke still remain on the team. Behind them, though, is no one, as usual. Sometimes Scott Paxson is on the team, but he's undersized and basically overachieves. Still, we have one of, if not the, best 3-4 NT, and a guy who can play just as well as he does when replacing
him.

DE = Improved
Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Nick Eason, and Travis Kirschke are all coming back. Yeah, we lost Orpheus Roye, but what the hey, he only played in like three games. We did, however, add Ziggy Hood, and he could become a monster DE for us. The D-Line is gonna start a rebuilding process, and Ziggy is a very good player to start with.

ILB = Worsened
Sadly, Larry Foote's tenure as a Steeler has come to an end. Timmons will step up to his spot, but that leaves a very serious question mark when it comes to ILB depth. Keyaron Fox? Donovan Woods? Patrick Bailey? Sure, these guys might be good players when their name is called, but as of right now, neither of those three guys will be able to play at the same level that Foote did. There are also 2 UDFA's, but once again, they probably won't be able to do what Foote did.

OLB = Improved
James Harrison is going to be a Steeler for a long time, and he's back with Woodley to show the world that God hates quarterbacks. Add in former college pass-rushing demon Bruce Davis, and we might be looking at one of the best pass-rushing teams of all time. Yeah, that might be kind of a reach, but let's say that Harrison has 15 sacks, Woodley improves as a player and doesn't have a late season drop-off and ends up with 13. Timmons adds in 10, Davis 6 as a situational pass-rusher, and we've already got 44, which is more than half of what the record (72) is. Add in some more from Smith, Keisel, Farrior, Hampton, Troy, and other guys, and that could very easily be possible. And in this scenario, Harrison's production decreases while Woodley's improved very, VERY, little; I can't even imagine how devastating the defense could be if they both improve upon their respective 2008-2009 numbers. We also have Andre Frazier returning, as well as Arnold Harrison recovered from his injury.

CB = Improved
Yeah, we lost Bryant McFadden. He was a starter and all. But, we still have Taylor and Townsend, who were the original starters at the beginning of last season. Plus, William Gay is supposedly penciled in as the starter beside Taylor. He could be just as good as McFadden was. We resigned Fernando Bryant and Anthony Madison, who'll provide competition. We signed FA CB Keiwan Ratfliff, and he can play well. Plus, we drafted not one, but TWO CB's in Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett. Lewis supposedly reminds to coaches A LOT of Ike Taylor. Burnett was a playmaker, totaling 16 INT's while playing at Central Florida. If Lewis every develops well, it would be beastly to see two Ike Taylor's playing at the same time.

S = Improved
We lost Anthony Smith. We now have Ryan Mundy. That about evens things out. Smith barely played last season, and we still have both starters in Polamalu and Clark. Carter will take the main back-up role for both positions, and Mundy can compete to take the back-up FS job this season, and maybe the starting one in future years. Keenan Lewis could supposedly play safety also, and this added value is what makes the safety position an improved one.

K = Same
Still have old, eccentric, reliable Jeff Reed.

P = Improved
Hold your horses guys, this isn't as good news as you might think it is. Yeah, we improved in the situation, but that isn't saying much when seeing how Berger punted last year. Hopefully Dirk Johnson is better than Berger, because one coach said that Sepulveda is a long time away from being the great punter we envision him to be. His knee injury happened to his kicking leg, and therefore has been unable to train AT ALL. He still has to regain his former talent, let alone improve. Hopefully, things speed up and he does improve quickly, but that might still be a long time from now.

LS = Worsened
Greg Warren is still limping, and Jared Retkofsky had surgery to repair a recently injured arm in a motorcycle accident. Right now, the only healthy LS we have is Mark Estermyer, an UDFA out of Pittsburgh.

RS = Improved
We now have Mike Wallace and Joe Burnett, two guys who can add to the return game. Plus, we signed former CFL star Stefan Logan, who's got talent at returning as well. Add in Holmes, Moore, and returning Mendenhall, and we've suddenly got many guys who can return well. Wallace will probably take the spot though, mainly to his ridiculous speed.

And that's about it.

steelernation77
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Here's an analysis of current state of the team, with specific analysis for each position. It also says if we worsened or improved. This, as was my last post, is a mixture of notes and opinions from many sources.

NOTE: This is not my personal opinion, just the overall thoughts of many people.

QB = Worsened
While we still have Big Ben (and that's all we need to get the seventh Lombardi) and he's fully recovered from all injuries, the back-up QB situation took a hit. Byron Leftwich was (and is still actually considered by some) a franchise quarterback who's career was derailed by injuries. As of now, the depth behind Roethlisberger consists of:

Charlie Batch, who's coming back from a broken collarbone and didn't play at all last season.
Dennis Dixon, a promising second-year man who did well in minicamp, but still has to prove he can play well in actual games.
Two UDFA's, who will most likely end up in the practice squad.

As a Steeler, Leftwich actually posted some very respectable numbers (considering the time he played). He played in five games, completed 21 passes out of 36 attempts, threw for 303 yards with 2 touchdowns and no interceptions, and was sacked three times. He also ran for another touchdown. Yeah, he had a slow release and all, but most of Steeler Nation eventually became more comfortable to having him as the back-up than Charlie Batch. He unfortunately left looking to compete for a starting job, and signed with the Bucs, who then stabbed him in the back and drafted Kansas State's Josh Freeman in the first round. Hopefully he gets released and he returns, as he had stated that if he were to be a back-up, he'd like to remain in Pittsburgh. That's why the QB situation worsened.

RB = Improved
Fast Willie Parker thinks he's in better shape for training camp than he has been in a long time, and that can only translate into good things for the team. Mewelde Moore proved his worth last season, and he will still be the versatile RB who can both run and catch well. We get 1st round pick Rashard Mendenhall back, and he's bound to be a boost to the running game. We upgraded our power-back situation with Frank Summers, who'll replace Gary Russell after he was released. Summers likes to hit people, and that's something that can't really be taught to a runningback. Plus, he's a great special teams player. We might have found a good player in UDFA Isaac Redman, as well as with Stefan Logan. Carey Davis might or might not compete with Summers for the FB spot, but at least Davis is a valuable ST asset, as he makes a ton of tackles. The return of an injured 1st round RB, keeping two starters and valuable backup, and upgrading a role RB is definitely an improved situation for the team.

WR = Improved
We resigned Hines Ward to a long-term deal, ensuring he retires a Steeler. Now we have two Superbowl MVP wide receivers on the team. Holmes finally broke out in the 2009 playoffs, and many think that now is when he translates that talent to the regular season. Nate Washington left, but to fill the void he left we drafted Ole Miss' bullet Mike Wallace, who is basically as athletic as Washington, but has somewhat better hands. Wallace ran a 4.28 40, had a 40'' vertical, and is as good a deep threat as they come. We also signed veteran WR Shaun McDonald, who is also a solid option at WR. Dallas Baker and Martin Nance will battle for a roster spot, and both should have improved from when they first joined the team last season. We also signed three UDFA's. The most intriguing case, however, is Limas Sweed. Last year's second round pick, he failed to live up to the hype that surrounded him in his rookie season. He's more remembered for his drops than his catches. However, the possibility of winning the #3 spot has already fueled his interest to get better, and he still has all the talent people said he once had. If he returns to his pre-wrist-injury form, then he'll be a devastating force for Pittsburgh. We also signed Jayson Foster, although he's mainly a ST guy.

TE = Same
We still have Heath Miller (although in the last year of his contract) as the starter, and Matt Spaeth as his back-up. Sean McHugh is the versatile guy who can play both TE and FB. Seventh round pick David Johnson is similar to McHugh, but he's expected to provide little impact and be on the PS for a year.

OT = Worsened
We franchised Max Starks and re-signed Willie Colon, and therefore have our starting tackles once again. However, we lost Marvel Smith, who was still the starter when not injured. Tony Hills remains a question when it comes to how well he's playing, and Trai Essex, the versatile guy who can play multiple O-Line positions was resigned. Ultimately, we kept the majority of our guys, but failed to add someone else. Depth is pretty thin, and an injury to any of the two starting tackles could prove to be devastating.

OG = Improved
Starters Chris Kemoeatu and Darnell Stapleton remain with the team, and Kemo is locked up for another five years. We released Kendall Simmons, which translates into saved cap space and releasing a guy who was, sadly, overrated. We drafted road-grater Kraig Urbik in the third round, and signed Ramon Foster as an UDFA. While being a tackle in college, Foster will most likely switch to guard, as his run-blocking abilities would most likely translate better at that position. While still losing a veteran, we obtained two young guys, one of which can start immediately.

C = Improved
Justin Hartwig remains on the team (last year, though), and Darnell Stapleton can also play center. Second year man Doug Legursky will battle for a roster spot with seventh rounder A.Q. Shipley, who astounded coaches with his intelligence during minicamp. Getting a new guy can't hurt, though, and he could become a steal.

NT = Same
Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke still remain on the team. Behind them, though, is no one, as usual. Sometimes Scott Paxson is on the team, but he's undersized and basically overachieves. Still, we have one of, if not the, best 3-4 NT, and a guy who can play just as well as he does when replacing
him.

DE = Improved
Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Nick Eason, and Travis Kirschke are all coming back. Yeah, we lost Orpheus Roye, but what the hey, he only played in like three games. We did, however, add Ziggy Hood, and he could become a monster DE for us. The D-Line is gonna start a rebuilding process, and Ziggy is a very good player to start with.

ILB = Worsened
Sadly, Larry Foote's tenure as a Steeler has come to an end. Timmons will step up to his spot, but that leaves a very serious question mark when it comes to ILB depth. Keyaron Fox? Donovan Woods? Patrick Bailey? Sure, these guys might be good players when their name is called, but as of right now, neither of those three guys will be able to play at the same level that Foote did. There are also 2 UDFA's, but once again, they probably won't be able to do what Foote did.

OLB = Improved
James Harrison is going to be a Steeler for a long time, and he's back with Woodley to show the world that God hates quarterbacks. Add in former college pass-rushing demon Bruce Davis, and we might be looking at one of the best pass-rushing teams of all time. Yeah, that might be kind of a reach, but let's say that Harrison has 15 sacks, Woodley improves as a player and doesn't have a late season drop-off and ends up with 13. Timmons adds in 10, Davis 6 as a situational pass-rusher, and we've already got 44, which is more than half of what the record (72) is. Add in some more from Smith, Keisel, Farrior, Hampton, Troy, and other guys, and that could very easily be possible. And in this scenario, Harrison's production decreases while Woodley's improved very, VERY, little; I can't even imagine how devastating the defense could be if they both improve upon their respective 2008-2009 numbers. We also have Andre Frazier returning, as well as Arnold Harrison recovered from his injury.

CB = Improved
Yeah, we lost Bryant McFadden. He was a starter and all. But, we still have Taylor and Townsend, who were the original starters at the beginning of last season. Plus, William Gay is supposedly penciled in as the starter beside Taylor. He could be just as good as McFadden was. We resigned Fernando Bryant and Anthony Madison, who'll provide competition. We signed FA CB Keiwan Ratfliff, and he can play well. Plus, we drafted not one, but TWO CB's in Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett. Lewis supposedly reminds to coaches A LOT of Ike Taylor. Burnett was a playmaker, totaling 16 INT's while playing at Central Florida. If Lewis every develops well, it would be beastly to see two Ike Taylor's playing at the same time.

S = Improved
We lost Anthony Smith. We now have Ryan Mundy. That about evens things out. Smith barely played last season, and we still have both starters in Polamalu and Clark. Carter will take the main back-up role for both positions, and Mundy can compete to take the back-up FS job this season, and maybe the starting one in future years. Keenan Lewis could supposedly play safety also, and this added value is what makes the safety position an improved one.

K = Same
Still have old, eccentric, reliable Jeff Reed.

P = Improved
Hold your horses guys, this isn't as good news as you might think it is. Yeah, we improved in the situation, but that isn't saying much when seeing how Berger punted last year. Hopefully Dirk Johnson is better than Berger, because one coach said that Sepulveda is a long time away from being the great punter we envision him to be. His knee injury happened to his kicking leg, and therefore has been unable to train AT ALL. He still has to regain his former talent, let alone improve. Hopefully, things speed up and he does improve quickly, but that might still be a long time from now.

LS = Worsened
Greg Warren is still limping, and Jared Retkofsky had surgery to repair a recently injured arm in a motorcycle accident. Right now, the only healthy LS we have is Mark Estermyer, an UDFA out of Pittsburgh.

RS = Improved
We now have Mike Wallace and Joe Burnett, two guys who can add to the return game. Plus, we signed former CFL star Stefan Logan, who's got talent at returning as well. Add in Holmes, Moore, and returning Mendenhall, and we've suddenly got many guys who can return well. Wallace will probably take the spot though, mainly to his ridiculous speed.

And that's about it.

Actually Sepulveda injured his plant leg. The injury is in his right leg, he punts left-footed.

brat316
05-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Olb, S, are still at same.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
New photo album at Steelers.com with a ton of pictures of minicamp.

http://www.steelers.com/MediaGallery/slideshow/105155/

Hines
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Levi Jones got released by the Bengals. I would like to look at him if he wasn't so injury prone.

SteelCityNightmare
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
The Steelers are looking at Napoleon Harris for backup at ILB.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/07/napoleon-harris-visits-the-steelers/

mikehop05
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
^^^ would be a good pickup if he comes cheaply

Hines
05-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't mind Harris. Use to be a pretty damn good player and has played with Tomlin. I think he could be a real good back up for us.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, Harris was a solid player. Definitely better depth with him than what we have now. I think the team wants to keep Fox to ST only, otherwise we'd lose a key ST player if he for some reason has to step into the ILB position.

SCSteeler
05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
does anyone know if Gerald Cadogan has signed with a team yet?

Hines
05-07-2009, 10:57 PM
He signed with the Panthers.

steel man
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
do you think Pisa Tinoisamoa would fit our scheme and if so would he be worth looking at

Strongside
05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
do you think Pisa Tinoisamoa would fit our scheme and if so would he be worth looking at

I'm not a big fan. He's oft injured, which concerns me. And he's smaller than Farrior and not nearly as strong. He would have trouble shedding blocks in our scheme and he's the kind of guy that racks up tackles but makes no plays.

And he did have a hundred something tackles, so he is probably looking for a starting spot somewhere.

I would much rather have Nappy Harris, who would be cheaper too.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-09-2009, 12:24 AM
This video is awesome, definitely one of the better tributes to the Pittsburgh Steelers I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rVs8UjxpE

Steelersfan4life
05-09-2009, 09:46 AM
This video is awesome, definitely one of the better tributes to the Pittsburgh Steelers I've ever seen.

Great Video, I love wactching all of the hits :)

Mr. Goosemahn
05-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Gary Russell signed with the Raiders.

Things really went downhill for the guy after the Superbowl.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArOOjXQhjlJixcyjA667TLdDubYF?slug=ap-raiders-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns

terribletowel39
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Everybody go to the Off-Topic Section and vote for the Steelers Super Fan.

SCSteeler
05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
whats the word on Napoleon Harris?

Strongside
05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
whats the word on Napoleon Harris?

Nothing yet, maybe he didn't pass the physical. Dunno.

mikehop05
05-13-2009, 10:05 PM
he probably is holding out for more money... for his sake i hope he finds it somewhere... for our sake i hope he doesnt

Mr. Stiller
05-13-2009, 11:58 PM
he probably is holding out for more money... for his sake i hope he finds it somewhere... for our sake i hope he doesnt

Or they could be scouting a guy for midseason depth in case of injury.

terribletowel39
05-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Another poll is up and the AFCN needs defending. Go to the NFL Section and vote for the AFCN vs AFCE showdown.

Steelersfan4life
05-15-2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81056683&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true
Salary cap increased by $12 mil.

Strongside
05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81056683&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true
Salary cap increased by $12 mil.

Excellent for us. We were really up against the wall for awhile there.

steel man
05-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Another poll is up and the AFCN needs defending. Go to the NFL Section and vote for the AFCN vs AFCE showdown.

well my vote just gave the North the lead lets hope it sticks

steel man
05-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Excellent for us. We were really up against the wall for awhile there.

do you guys think this will change our approach on signings and if this was done a week ago would we have keep Foote

Strongside
05-16-2009, 12:24 AM
do you guys think this will change our approach on signings and if this was done a week ago would we have keep Foote

Maybe, but I don't think so. The break-up with Foote was mutual, and the increased salary cap wasn't that much more than expected. We will probably be right around the cap with our rookie signings and 1 vet signing. Technically it's only 1 million more than they were expecting.

I do hope we use some of this to get some resignings done though.

Steelersfan4life
05-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Maybe, but I don't think so. The break-up with Foote was mutual, and the increased salary cap wasn't that much more than expected. We will probably be right around the cap with our rookie signings and 1 vet signing. Technically it's only 1 million more than they were expecting.

I do hope we use some of this to get some resignings done though.

Like maybe Starks and Miller before the season gets underway.

Steelersfan4life
05-17-2009, 01:41 PM
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_625438.html
Steelers visiting the White House on thursday

mikehop05
05-17-2009, 06:24 PM
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_625438.html
Steelers visiting the White House on thursday

yeah, james harrison won't go though

mikehop05
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
afcn v nfcn for the ship

easy win for afcn in my book, vote though!

SCSteeler
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
afcn v nfcn for the ship

easy win for afcn in my book, vote though!

that thread is bullocks! how can those guys pick Cutler over Rothlisberger?

Mr. Goosemahn
05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
that thread is bullocks! how can those guys pick Cutler over Rothlisberger?

Because they are Bears fans?

Ravens1991
05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
we are down by 1 now, I geuss all the homers got there picks in early. But if we can stop the AFC south offense then the NFC offense will be stopped. Reed and Troy will get INTs with a gunslinger like Cutler back there.

steel man
05-18-2009, 11:04 PM
we have to win because if not they will run their mouths....and if they do i would love for Ryan Clark, Troy, Lamar, Harrison, or Timmons show up at their door and hit them in the mouth and then see if they talk crap.....i just cant stand guys that just run their mouth just to hear their self talk.

steel man
05-18-2009, 11:08 PM
back to the important stuff....The Steelers......who do you guys think will break the starting line-up 1st ..... between

1st) CB Keenan Lewis.......or.........CB Joe Burnett

2nd) OL Kraig Urbik ......... or ........OL A.Q. Shipley

Mr. Goosemahn
05-18-2009, 11:41 PM
back to the important stuff....The Steelers......who do you guys think will break the starting line-up 1st ..... between

1st) CB Keenan Lewis.......or.........CB Joe Burnett

2nd) OL Kraig Urbik ......... or ........OL A.Q. Shipley

1. Lewis. He's got better size and I think the coaching staff kind of likes him more than Burnett. I see Burnett primarily as a return guy, although sooner or later he could be a good CB. Lewis might project to safety though.

2. Urbik. The guy could even earn the starting job this off-season, while Shipley won't unseat Hartwig anytime soon. I think that both will start in a couple of years, but Urbik will first.

SCSteeler
05-19-2009, 06:27 PM
we won the AFCN vs NFCN battle right? i can't tell you guys how much sleep i've lost over how many of those guys think Cutler is better than Big Ben! And their argument is arm strength...nobodys got a stronger arm than Ben, and his arm hasn't been full strength in years. And why can't Ben still get any respect, outside of this site?

steel man
05-19-2009, 09:52 PM
And why can't Ben still get any respect, outside of this site?

it is called jealousy my friend......jealousy.

Strongside
05-20-2009, 09:42 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Looks like Mundy is playing well. It's football in shorts, but still good too hear.

Hines
05-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Bruce Davis changed his number from 53 to 50.

terribletowel39
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Bruce Davis changed his number from 53 to 50.
That little *****. What makes him think he is worthy??!!!

Hines
05-27-2009, 11:34 PM
From what I read, Davis seems to be feeling really confident. If he shows he can play and has gotten more physical, I think our defense will be even better and could shatter our sack record.

Mr. Stiller
05-28-2009, 12:17 AM
From what I read, Davis seems to be feeling really confident. If he shows he can play and has gotten more physical, I think our defense will be even better and could shatter our sack record.

I think the biggest surprise is having a guy penetrate from the interior of the line.

Forcing the QB out of the pocket has been one of our weaknesses since Hampton got injured in 2004.

Ziggy even pushing the QB out of the pocket 1-5 plays a game could push him right into Wood/Harrison and thats something we haven't had in 4-5 years.

DeathbyStat
06-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Does anyone else think that Shaun Mcdonald and Keiwan Ratlif are going to make more of an impact than the players that we drafted at their respective positions?

I also wouldn't be shocked if McDonald made a larger impact than limas sweed

Mr. Stiller
06-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Does anyone else think that Shaun Mcdonald and Keiwan Ratlif are going to make more of an impact than the players that we drafted at their respective positions?

I also wouldn't be shocked if McDonald made a larger impact than limas sweed

I don't know if they'll make "Big impacts"

I think Joe Burnett is going to make a huge impact during Punts.

McDonald will provide that solid over the middle guy from the #3 position (Wes Welker lite).

However I think Sweed/Wallace could make a large impact in the deep ball game.

I think Ratliff will make plays in coverage though. He destroyed us playing cover2 last year. We could have done far worse for corner depth.

Steelersfan4life
06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Sepulveda back punting after another surgery:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09156/975202-66.stm

Steelersfan4life
06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
The super bowl ring, very nice.
http://news.steelers.com/article/105731/

brat316
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Someone needs to sticky this thread

Hines
06-10-2009, 02:29 AM
As of right now, I see our needs for next year's draft as OT, MLB, OLB, S, and DL in no order. If a stud OLB like Brandon Lang from Troy fell to us where we pick, I would be tempted to pull the trigger.

My top players from where I think we will pick are:

Kam Chancellor S Virginia Tech
Arthur Jones DE Syracuse
Brandon Lang OLB Troy
Sean Weatherspoon MLB Missouri
Sergio Kindle MLB/OLB Texas
Charles Brown OT USC
Adam Utaksi(sp) OT Texas
Boo Robinson NT Wake Forest

There are quite a few players that I left off, but this is just a sample. I cannot wait untill TC. I am hoping to go this year when I go on vacation to Pittsburgh next month.

Smooth Criminal
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
It'll be interesting to see where we go next offseason. We have alot of guys that are free agents. I'm expecting guys like Keisel, Clark, and Parker to be let go so finding their replacements is going to be hard. Hopefully we already have Keisels replacement with Ziggy and Parkers with Mendenhall. We need to sign Hampton IMO. Theres no way they can expect to find a replacement by next year.

Obviously we're very weak at OT. Starks and Colon both suck, and are both on 1 year deals. The only real depth we have is Tony Hills, and we dont know what we have with him.

DeathbyStat
06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
As of right now, I see our needs for next year's draft as OT, MLB, OLB, S, and DL in no order. If a stud OLB like Brandon Lang from Troy fell to us where we pick, I would be tempted to pull the trigger.

My top players from where I think we will pick are:

Kam Chancellor S Virginia Tech
Arthur Jones DE Syracuse
Brandon Lang OLB Troy
Sean Weatherspoon MLB Missouri
Sergio Kindle MLB/OLB Texas
Charles Brown OT USC
Adam Utaksi(sp) OT Texas
Boo Robinson NT Wake Forest

There are quite a few players that I left off, but this is just a sample. I cannot wait untill TC. I am hoping to go this year when I go on vacation to Pittsburgh next month.

Good list...it would be incredible if Taylor Mays or Eric Berry fell to us. I would add Jared Odrick and this guy...................

Corey Wootton 6'7 270 DE Northwestern

He seems to be superbly quick getting to the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waZuFK_pxjA

What do you guys think of this guy?

Hines
06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I love Wooten and would have perfered him to Hood if he were to come out.

One guy I would love to come to the Steelers is Morgan Burnett from Georgia Tech. He is a flat out ball hawk and hits like a ton of bricks. Think of a more ball skilled Ryan Clark. He probably will come out after this season, and with the talent at safety, I could see him where we pick.

Some Steeler news, Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, and Tank got signed today. We released Dirk Johnson so I guess that means Sep is good to go. I am getting very excited for this upcoming season. A little over 6 weeks till training camp. Hopefully I can go to a few practices when I fly out to the Burgh in a couple weeks.

DeathbyStat
06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I love Wooten and would have perfered him to Hood if he were to come out.

One guy I would love to come to the Steelers is Morgan Burnett from Georgia Tech. He is a flat out ball hawk and hits like a ton of bricks. Think of a more ball skilled Ryan Clark. He probably will come out after this season, and with the talent at safety, I could see him where we pick.

Some Steeler news, Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, and Tank got signed today. We released Dirk Johnson so I guess that means Sep is good to go. I am getting very excited for this upcoming season. A little over 6 weeks till training camp. Hopefully I can go to a few practices when I fly out to the Burgh in a couple weeks.

I'm some else has love for wooten I just heard about this guy and he think he is going to be a player

As far as Safeties after Berry I like Reshad Jones from Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP5nmyNSgk

Mr. Stiller
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Good list...it would be incredible if Taylor Mays or Eric Berry fell to us. I would add Jared Odrick and this guy...................

Corey Wootton 6'7 270 DE Northwestern

He seems to be superbly quick getting to the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waZuFK_pxjA

What do you guys think of this guy?

I like wootton as a 4-3 DE. I wouldn't have taken him over Ziggy.

That said.... Everyone looks like a great DE when no one blocks them.

Rewatch the video, almost every single sack he went unblocked or just ran around a slow OT.

Hines
06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
I am on the bandwagon of Morgan Burnett as a Pittsburgh Steeler next draft. Picture Ryan Clark with more ball skills.

Ravens1991
06-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I got a question, is it true every girl or there girl friend in PITT slept w/ Hines Ward?

Hines
06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
I got a question, is it true every girl or there girl friend in PITT slept w/ Hines Ward?

He's married so I doubt it.

Smooth Criminal
06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I havn't heard that about Ward, but I know Reed loves to take home college girls.

SCSteeler
06-14-2009, 12:35 PM

maybe thats why he's smilin' all the time!!!

steel man
06-18-2009, 03:13 PM
well we got 3 more draft picks signed and 2 of them will help out alot IMO

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4270097

terribletowel39
06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
That is good news. I hope Hood and Urbik get signed in the next two weeks. So none of us have anything to worry about leading up to the start of training camp sans the occasional motorcycle accident.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-18-2009, 04:00 PM
We also released 6 guys.

DE Jeff Bradley
LS Mark Estermyer
WR Jayson Foster
WR Cedric Goodman
QB Kevin McCabe
FB Ryan Powdrell

We had also previously released P Dirk Johnson.

http://news.steelers.com/article/105845/

Steelersfan4life
06-19-2009, 03:44 PM
We signed David Johnson

Mr. Stiller
06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
We signed David Johnson

I wanna see him Pancake Ray Lewis... even if only once.

Strongside
06-21-2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810ee653&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Hahaha.

Mr. Stiller
06-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Amazing Video

Mr. Goosemahn
06-22-2009, 12:33 AM

Amazing Video

Wow, that is a great video. And regarding Strongside's link, let's hope that Lenwhale goes around stomping again and we win the seventh XD.

Boards have been kind of quiet as of late, haven't they?

Can't wait for training camp to start, wanna start hearing all the good progress.

TitanHope
06-23-2009, 07:58 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810ee653&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Hahaha.

"I've seen the Big Ben Roethlisberger sandwich on TV, so if anybody wants to freeze and send one over, I'll be more than happy to eat it," White said of the sandwich named for Pittsburgh's quarterback.

Will one of you guys please do that?! :D

Smooth Criminal
06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Only if he promises to choke on it.

But in actual GREAT Steelers news
http://news.steelers.com/article/105896/

Its about time. Frees us up to make other needed move like signing the rest of our picks and extending Heath Miller particularly.

brat316
06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Only if he promises to choke on it.

But in actual GREAT Steelers news
http://news.steelers.com/article/105896/

Its about time. Frees us up to make other needed move like signing the rest of our picks and extending Heath Miller particularly.

I hope he doesn't blow now and we didn't over pay him either.

Smooth Criminal
06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Im sure we overpaid. I mean we had to overpay to get him to sign something other than his 8 million dollar deal.

I'm not thrilled about him being our LT for 4 years, but now we have the cap room to resign other guys and the power to cut Starks if he blows.

terribletowel39
06-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Yes. This is a good day. Can't wait to extend Heath.

*Side note* I really hope Ziggy Hood turns out to be a cornerstone player for the Steelers. I have a dog and his name prior to the draft was Iggy. Then as a running joke everyone started to call him Ziggy. Well it has stuck. So yea, hope he doesn't suck.

Hines
06-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Let's hope that we can extend Heath and Hamp with the little extra breathing room.

I think we get a lot of comp picks next season from Nate, BMac, Byron, and Marvel.

brat316
06-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Let's hope that we can extend Heath and Hamp with the little extra breathing room.

I think we get a lot of comp picks next season from Nate, BMac, Byron, and Marvel.

Marvel we won't get **** for like Faneca, maybe even less, same with Byron. Nate and BMac, should fetch a 3rd and 4th each, at least maybe a 3rd and 3rd.

terribletowel39
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Don't comp picks depend on how well the player does for the new team??

OR

Was that proven not the case this past yr with Faneca??

brat316
06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Don't comp picks depend on how well the player does for the new team??

OR

Was that proven not the case this past yr with Faneca??

For Faneca, he met all the criteria for 3rd round pick, big contract, did good, old team didn't get anyone. But there is a rule like 10 or 11+ years of experience automatically gets downgraded to 5th round pick. And thats what we got I believe.

Actually it will only effect Marvel Smith not Byron, Byron only has 7 years. Smith has 10.

So for Nate and BMac, we are almost locks to get good pick in return, both got pretty big contracts, both are starting, and the Steelers didn't get pick up anyone worthy. Now they just have to preform, even if they do average you can expect a 3-6 for each. For the second round comp pick, they'll need some Pro Bowl numbers.

Smooth Criminal
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Comp picks mostly depend upon the salary per year. Theres other factors, but thats the biggest. I would expect 4 picks next year, Nate will liekly fetch a 4th, ther others could be anywhere between 5-7 depending upon play time.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I think it was a good move to extend Starks. He played well last year, and will probably (and hopefully) improve with this year.

Speaking of O-line guys, Bruce Arians had this to say. He says only 19 sacks last year were the O-Line's fault. (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/21/arians-only-19-of-steelers-sacks-were-o-lines-fault/)

Another O-Line guy, Alex Boone, has put a rule upon himself. Other than for training, he isn't leaving his hotel room. Why, you may ask? To avoid alcohol. (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/107432-why-49ers-rookie-wont-leave-hotel)

And finally, CB Fernando Bryant, still on the team, announced his retirement today. (http://news.steelers.com/article/105894/)

This opens up a spot, and I think that Taylor, Townsend, Ratliff, Lewis, and Burnett could all wind up on the 53 man roster now.

Hines
06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I was thinking why we signed Ratliff, but I think he makes the team now. Sucks because I am a huge fan of Anthony Madison, but Ratliff brings a playmaking presence in our secondary.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Also, Santonio Holmes has some ringtones now. Don't really know what to think of them...... XD

http://ringtones.thumbplay.com/Santonio+Holmes-ringtones

Smooth Criminal
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Don't forget William ***. Very liekly we carry 6 corners this year tho cause Ratliff has been playing FS aswell.

Mr. Goosemahn
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Don't forget William ***. Very liekly we carry 6 corners this year tho cause Ratliff has been playing FS aswell.

damn! Can't believe I forgot him.

Man, I need training camp to start, lol.

Yeah, supposedly Townsend also has a good shot at playing FS this year too.

Hines
06-23-2009, 06:51 PM
If Ryan Clark cannot go against our Monday night game against Denver, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shea get the start at FS.

If Mundy proves to be a very good player, I would hold off on FS and go after Boo Robinson, NT from Wake Forest. Could be this year's Raji.

Strongside
06-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah Shea always seems to dabble in FS during the off-season so I wouldn't be surprised if he was the first back-up there next year.

Strongside
06-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Starks signed 4 years

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810f553b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Strongside
06-23-2009, 10:32 PM
$26.3 million. $10 million in guaranteed money. ******* STEAL. We also got 3 mill in cap relief this year.

brat316
06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
$26.3 million. $10 million in guaranteed money. ******* STEAL. We also got 3 mill in cap relief this year.

In guaranteed money we got a steal yes. Yearly figure we don't know, it could be 6.5 million a year. And seeing as its 3 mill in cap relief it probably is somewhere around that number. Franchise tag for a tackle is 8.something million.

Hopefully its back loaded, if he does ****** we can cut him. If he does great, can resign him and waive off those back years.

Mr. Stiller
06-24-2009, 01:03 AM
In guaranteed money we got a steal yes. Yearly figure we don't know, it could be 6.5 million a year. And seeing as its 3 mill in cap relief it probably is somewhere around that number. Franchise tag for a tackle is 8.something million.

Hopefully its back loaded, if he does ****** we can cut him. If he does great, can resign him and waive off those back years.

I can't see Starks Sucking. He'll likely never be a probowler, but the dude is solid.

He gave up .5 more sacks than Joe Thomas last year.... and he's a way way better run blocking OT.

Hines
06-24-2009, 02:30 AM
I just hope we move him to his more natural position, RT.

DeathbyStat
06-24-2009, 07:17 AM

Then we will have no LT

Hines
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Then we will have no LT

Sorry to not make myself clear enough. I meant to say we should consider looking for a franchise LT in round 1 of the draft next year, then moving Starks to RT.

mikehop05
06-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Idk I think Starks did pretty well at LT, considering he was thrown there partway through the season... the more this line stays together and plays together, the better they will be - which was shown throughout the seaons last year

skarocksoi
06-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I like the deal. I think Starks just got kinda lazy and wasn't playing as hard as he should have been, but had a fire lit under him after getting benched. Plus this frees up some cap space for other signings. I'm more worried about depth at this point. Hopefully Hillis shows significant improvement during training camp to be a serviceable backup.

Mr. Stiller
06-25-2009, 08:56 AM

Wow... Hines..

LT is his natural Position. He's left handed so going with his more natural left side is a bonus. Plus he played there in college for 3 years.

RT Was where we put him.

I like the deal. I think Starks just got kinda lazy and wasn't playing as hard as he should have been, but had a fire lit under him after getting benched. Plus this frees up some cap space for other signings. I'm more worried about depth at this point. Hopefully Hillis shows significant improvement during training camp to be a serviceable backup.

Starks is 6'8 330+Lbs. In the post-superbowl offseason Starks had to have knee surgery. His lateral movement was cut down and he couldn't work out as well, ballooning to nearly 360lbs.

Depth is a concern. Essex is our 2nd LT right now.

BTW Hillis is the FB from Arkansas who went to Denver... Hills is the Texas LT we drafted.

Idk I think Starks did pretty well at LT, considering he was thrown there partway through the season... the more this line stays together and plays together, the better they will be - which was shown throughout the seaons last year

Starks didn't have a pro-bowl year being his first there, But I could see an argument saying he could at some point.

He gave up .5 less sacks than one of the most natural of pass blockers, Joe Thomas... And Max Starks is way more impactful in the run game.

in his 11 games last year (Starting) He gave up 4 sacks, and only 2 penalties.

in his 16 games last year.. Thomas gave up 4.5 Sacks, and had 6 penalties called on him.

Starks could see a probowl before it's all said and done.

skarocksoi
06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I knew it was either Hillis or Hills but I was too lazy to look it up to make sure.

And did you start the Max Starks fan club or something? You're going crazy with all the Max Starks info over there. Or maybe you are Max Starks....

Hines
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Personally, I don't think is mobile enough to play LT. He is a real good run blocker, but speed rushers kill him. Draft a LT and slide him to RT and I think we got a solid line with DP-Kemo-Hartwig/Ship-Urbik-Starks.

brat316
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Personally, I don't think is mobile enough to play LT. He is a real good run blocker, but speed rushers kill him. Draft a LT and slide him to RT and I think we got a solid line with DP-Kemo-Hartwig/Ship-Urbik-Starks.

No he is good against speed rushers, well i guess playing against Jason Taylor in muddy conditions doesn't count. He can stop some speed rushers, but he gets beat by average guys.

DeathbyStat
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Sorry to not make myself clear enough. I meant to say we should consider looking for a franchise LT in round 1 of the draft next year, then moving Starks to RT.

Thats the best thing that we could do....but I don't think we will be picking high enough to grab a true franchise left tackle unless the team totally tanks next year

Mr. Stiller
06-25-2009, 05:26 PM

Really? How many guys got a sack against him last year?

Only 4 sacks.

Again, Joe Thomas... Mr. Pass blocker extraordinaire gave up 4.5.

2) We wouldn't start a rookie at LT.

3) Speed rushers haven't been that good against Starks.

Ware had 1 sack.

Suggs had 2 sacks.. 1 was against Stapleton on a stunt, and one against Starks.

Kiwanuka had 2 sacks against Starks. .5 from Blitzing from the SOLB spot.

Those are 3 good DE's.

Ware had 3 sacks against Walter Jones..

Not saying Starks is as good as Walter Jones.. Just saying from a passrushing standpoint, Starks isn't as bad as everyone makes him to be as a pass blocker.

And he's probably a top 5-10 run blocker.

Mr. Stiller
06-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Thats the best thing that we could do....but I don't think we will be picking high enough to grab a true franchise left tackle unless the team totally tanks next year

There's a bunch of potential LT's in next years draft.

Williams, Okung, Black, Young, Capers, Brown, Beadles... Fox is one of my favorite underrated prospects at OT. Even if not LT, dude is awesome.

with Jrs.... Bulaga, Davis, Ziemba, Carimi and Hix.

Mr. Stiller
06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
No he is good against speed rushers, well i guess playing against Jason Taylor in muddy conditions doesn't count. He can stop some speed rushers, but he gets beat by average guys.

Everyone gets beat. It's just the nature of the game.

The fact is... Max is better than people give him credit for.

And for the ones thinking I'm on the Max Starks bandwagon.. I am. Why?

Because it might be the first Stable LT play since 2005 when Marvel Smith stayed healthy.

With a year under his belt starting at LT.... AGAINST THE #1 RANKED SOS and the defenses he played... Dallas, NYG, Was, SD, IND, Baltimorex2, Tennessee, NE... etc.

This year...

Baltimorex2, Cincyx2, Miami, Minnesota, Tennessee.

Those will be the only teams we'll see this year that posted top 15 defenses in 08.

Last year we faced:

Baltimorex3, Philly, Washington, NYG, Tennessee, Dallas, NE (This is just the top 10 defenses, of our 19 games 9 were against top 10 defenses)

Colts, Bengalsx2, Bills and Dolphins were the rest of the top 15.

9/19 games last year against top 10 defenses.
14/19 against teams finishing in the top 15 defenses.

Maybe our OL Woes were a bit overblown considering the plethora of amazing defenses we have seen?

Smooth Criminal
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I said that all of last season. This OL is not nearly as bad as the looked last year. We played all of the best pass rushers last year. Our schedule was brutal and that caused the OL to look like a terrible unit. I'm expecting them to do alot better this year mainly because the schedule we will be facing is easier, but also because this is the first time Starks will be coming to camp as the starting LT, it will be Hartwig, Kemo, and Stapleton's second year playing.

I'm expecting them to perform better because of time together and an easier schedule. I'd like to see Urbik get in there and I want to see Colon replaced at RT. On the left side, I think Starks and Kemo will be fine.

Smooth Criminal
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Ryan Clark-DB-Steelers Jun. 26 - 10:13 am et

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports that the Steelers and Ryan Clark have had contract extension discussions.
It sounds like a deal could get done before training camp. Clark was undrafted out of LSU, but plays far bigger than his size and has proven to be a perfect complement to Troy Polamalu. He's expected to be ready for camp after undergoing shoulder surgery this offseason.

per rotoworld

Resigning Clark would be huge. He and Troy are a great safety duo. I'd love to keep them in this defense for years to come.

Lock up Clark, Heath, and Reed and I'll be happy. Depending on what Hampton does, franchise him next year.

Mr. Stiller
06-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Ryan Clark-DB-Steelers Jun. 26 - 10:13 am et

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports that the Steelers and Ryan Clark have had contract extension discussions.
It sounds like a deal could get done before training camp. Clark was undrafted out of LSU, but plays far bigger than his size and has proven to be a perfect complement to Troy Polamalu. He's expected to be ready for camp after undergoing shoulder surgery this offseason.

per rotoworld

Resigning Clark would be huge. He and Troy are a great safety duo. I'd love to keep them in this defense for years to come.

Lock up Clark, Heath, and Reed and I'll be happy. Depending on what Hampton does, franchise him next year.

Don't expect him to sign for much... Older, Injury case, Can't play in Denver.

Hines
06-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Don't expect him to sign for much... Older, Injury case, Can't play in Denver.

I personally like Clark more than I have ever liked Chris Hope. Hope is a very good football player, though.

Mr. Stiller
06-28-2009, 04:29 PM
I personally like Clark more than I have ever liked Chris Hope. Hope is a very good football player, though.

When Hope was here he was a FS playing alot of Cover1/3.

In Tennessee he's a SS thats allowed a little more influx of play design, He'll get to support the run more and they play more cover 2 and Man than we do.

He just wasn't a great fit for the scheme.

Steelersfan4life
06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
We signed Urbik
http://news.steelers.com/article/105920/

terribletowel39
06-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Hooray!!! Alright. One more to go.

SCSteeler
06-29-2009, 07:44 PM

...I was gonna say, it reminds of the time we lost Hope. At the time I thought Hope was expendable, but it seems like it took awhile to find his replacement. Clark should have some good years left, and shouldn't cost too much. We should extend him! Especially since Mundy is unproven.

Hines
06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
So I found out today that I am pretty much going to training camp a few times. I am so ******* excited.

Smooth Criminal
06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I always make a trip up to latrobe to see camp. Its a pretty good time, esspecially when you get to the end of camp.

And I dont think it took awhile to replace Hope. We signed Clark in the same offseason that Hope left. Just seems like it took awhile cause the 06 team wasnt very good.

terribletowel39
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
So I found out today that I am pretty much going to training camp a few times. I am so ******* excited.
Uh oh Hines. SG5 is gonna be there. I know back in the day yall were FB buddies. Lucky.

You can use that picture as your background. It is an awesome pic. Had to have it.

Hines
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I always make a trip up to latrobe to see camp. Its a pretty good time, esspecially when you get to the end of camp.

And I dont think it took awhile to replace Hope. We signed Clark in the same offseason that Hope left. Just seems like it took awhile cause the 06 team wasnt very good.

I will be in the begining of camp, but hopefully I catch a few full pad practices and stuff like that.

This is my first time going to training camp and I am so excited.

Hines
06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Holmes bulks up to 201 which I think will help him. I finally seeing him maturing into that player we all thought he would be. I hope he has a great season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_631606.html?source=rss&feed=9

Mr. Goosemahn
06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
So the Madden Player Ratings are out.

A couple of guys were snubbed.

QB
Ben Roethlisberger - 93
Charlie Batch - 63
Dennis Dixon - 42

RB
Willie Parker - 86
Mewelde Moore - 73
Rashard Mendenhall - 72
Frank Summers - 54

FB
Carey Davis - 77

WR
Hines Ward - 90
Santonio Holmes - 86
Shaun McDonald - 68
Limas Sweed - 64
Mike Wallace - 57

TE
Heath Miller - 88
Sean McHugh - 68
Matt Spaeth - 66

LT
Max Starks - 83
Tony Hills - 70

LG
Chris Kemoeatu - 76
Trai Essex - 71

C
Justin Hartwig - 86
A.Q. Shipley - 66

RG
Jeremy Parquet - 72
Kraig Urbik - 71
Darnell Stapleton - 70

RT
Willie Colon - 78

LE
Aaron Smith - 91
Travis Kirschke - 65
Ra'Shon Harris - 50

RE
Brett Keisel - 76
Evander Hood - 75
Nick Eason - 55

NT
Casey Hampton - 91
Chris Hoke - 74
Scott Paxson - 55

ROLB
James Harrison - 97
Bruce Davis - 62
Arnold Harrison - 62

ILB
James Farrior - 95
Lawrence Timmons - 74
Keyaron Fox - 59

LOLB
LaMarr Woodley - 88
Andre Frazier - 59

CB
Ike Taylor - 86
Deshea Townsend - 82
Joe Burnett - 64
William *** - 63
Keenan Lewis - 61
Anthony Madison - 51

S
Troy Polamalu - 99
Ryan Clark - 83
Tyrone Carter - 67

K
Jeff Reed - 76

P
Daniel Sepulveda - 72

Quick Notes:
No Keiwan Ratliff
No Jason Capizzi
No David Johnson
No Dallas Baker
No Martin Nance
No Ramon Foster
No Ryan Mundy
No Donovan Woods
No Patrick Bailey
No Stefan Logan
Charlie Batch at 63 is wrong.
Dennis Dixon at 42 is repulsive.
Mewelde Moore at 73 is wrong.
Heath Miller at 88 shows people still don't give him enough credit.
Aaron Smith at 91 is still a bit low.
Travis Kirschke at 65 is also a bit low.
Brett Keisel at 76 is offensive.
Nick Eason at 55 is too low.
James Harrison not in the top 10 defensive players in the league is blasphemy.
Lawrence Timmons at 74 is wrong.
William *** at 63 is utter nonsense.
Joe Burnett above William *** and Keenan Lewis at 64 is wrong.
Jeff Reed at 76 is offensive.

On the bright side, the team is only one of two to have a rating above 90. We have a 92, and the only team above us is New England with 93.

Troy Polamalu is only one of six players in the entire game to have an overall rating of 99. The others are Peyton Manning, Larry Fitzgerald, Nnamdi Asomugha, Albert Haynesworth, and Ed Reed.

Roethlisberger is the fifth best quarterback in the game, below Manning, Brady, Brees, and Warner (in that order).

Hines
06-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Those ratings are ******* horrible.

brat316
06-30-2009, 11:41 PM
nah seem pretty fair. Look at it this way in the 70s its your average starter, 80s is above average starter, and 90s is the star player that people recognize.

So if Timmons plays more I think he'll easily be in the 80s. Outside of the Steelers not many people know much about him. I bet you his other ratings are pretty high since he is one of the most athletic lbs.

Mr. Stiller
06-30-2009, 11:55 PM
nah seem pretty fair. Look at it this way in the 70s its your average starter, 80s is above average starter, and 90s is the star player that people recognize.

So if Timmons plays more I think he'll easily be in the 80s. Outside of the Steelers not many people know much about him. I bet you his other ratings are pretty high since he is one of the most athletic lbs.

Still doesn't explain Dennis Dixon at 42 when He's got more physical attributes than others.

Mendenhall below Moore? Even on Hype I'm sure Madden 09 had him higher.

Sweed, McDonald and Wallace 64 and below? Really?

The most obvious one is....

Darnell Stapleton at 70 behind Jeremy Parquet who... hasn't made a roster in how long? (If ever) not to mention below an unprovedn rookie? I can get the rookie due to hype but, this was a starting RG of a superbowl unit.. How did he fall below UDFA never was's?

terribletowel39
07-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Brett Keisel - 76
Jeff Reed - 76
William *** - 63
Aaron Smith - 91
Darnell Stapleton - 70
Carey Davis - 77
Heath Miller - 88

Those are my biggest problems.

Smooth Criminal
07-01-2009, 10:30 AM
It till you all see sweed and timmons speed. Harrions faster than both lol

brat316
07-01-2009, 11:28 AM
It till you all see sweed and timmons speed. Harrions faster than both lol

Its cause he ran 100 yards straight in the superbowl.

mikehop05
07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
hopefully they will get better with patches, etc.

skarocksoi
07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
So the Madden Player Ratings are out.

A couple of guys were snubbed.

QB
Ben Roethlisberger - 93
Charlie Batch - 63
Dennis Dixon - 42

RB
Willie Parker - 86
Mewelde Moore - 73
Rashard Mendenhall - 72
Frank Summers - 54

FB
Carey Davis - 77

WR
Hines Ward - 90
Santonio Holmes - 86
Shaun McDonald - 68
Limas Sweed - 64
Mike Wallace - 57

TE
Heath Miller - 88
Sean McHugh - 68
Matt Spaeth - 66

LT
Max Starks - 83
Tony Hills - 70

LG
Chris Kemoeatu - 76
Trai Essex - 71

C
Justin Hartwig - 86
A.Q. Shipley - 66

RG
Jeremy Parquet - 72
Kraig Urbik - 71
Darnell Stapleton - 70

RT
Willie Colon - 78

LE
Aaron Smith - 91
Travis Kirschke - 65
Ra'Shon Harris - 50

RE
Brett Keisel - 76
Evander Hood - 75
Nick Eason - 55

NT
Casey Hampton - 91
Chris Hoke - 74
Scott Paxson - 55

ROLB
James Harrison - 97
Bruce Davis - 62
Arnold Harrison - 62

ILB
James Farrior - 95
Lawrence Timmons - 74
Keyaron Fox - 59

LOLB
LaMarr Woodley - 88
Andre Frazier - 59

CB
Ike Taylor - 86
Deshea Townsend - 82
Joe Burnett - 64
William *** - 63
Keenan Lewis - 61
Anthony Madison - 51

S
Troy Polamalu - 99
Ryan Clark - 83
Tyrone Carter - 67

K
Jeff Reed - 76

P
Daniel Sepulveda - 72

To my understanding, this year in Madden they are lowering player ratings and spreading them out more, so your average starter is closer to the 70's and only the elite players are in the high 90's. Basically what they did with NHL 09. So I dont have a problem with lower player rankings overall.

However, some ratings I dont agree with. Mendy should be slightly higher. Carey Davis should be a 75 at most. Parquet and Stapleton should be switched. Harrison and Farrior should be slightly lower, while Timmons should be slightly higher. Aaron Smith should be slightly higher as well.

The biggest mess up in my mind is William ***, who should be at least a 68. You figure he is at worst a nickle back, which 68-70 seems about right. If he is starting at corner next year, I'd hope they bump him up into the 70's. And there is no way he should be lower than a rookie mid round pick.

Oh well, if they dont change them with an update after training camp, I'll just have to do it on my own. Although, I think I'm going to hold off on buying it anyways.

brat316
07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
They'll change it 1 or 2 weeks into the season when new depth charts come out.

Mr. Stiller
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
To my understanding, this year in Madden they are lowering player ratings and spreading them out more, so your average starter is closer to the 70's and only the elite players are in the high 90's. Basically what they did with NHL 09. So I dont have a problem with lower player rankings overall.

However, some ratings I dont agree with. Mendy should be slightly higher. Carey Davis should be a 75 at most. Parquet and Stapleton should be switched. Harrison and Farrior should be slightly lower, while Timmons should be slightly higher. Aaron Smith should be slightly higher as well.

The biggest mess up in my mind is William ***, who should be at least a 68. You figure he is at worst a nickle back, which 68-70 seems about right. If he is starting at corner next year, I'd hope they bump him up into the 70's. And there is no way he should be lower than a rookie mid round pick.

Oh well, if they dont change them with an update after training camp, I'll just have to do it on my own. Although, I think I'm going to hold off on buying it anyways.

are they going to keep madden10 for pc as well or are they screwing the non console user again (Still pissed I can't import a draft class for madden anymore)

steel man
07-12-2009, 12:11 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-12-38/Blogger-Smackdown--Eli-vs--Big-Ben.html

thought you guys may want to read this if you have not yet

Steelersfan4life
07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Without a doubt it's Big Ben, with having 1 more super bowl ring and like it was stated on the blog he even has better stats. The Giants even have better offensive weapons for Eli IMO. The Giants can't play the "well Big Ben has the better defense" card because the Giants have a very good defense as well.

Mr. Stiller
07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Without a doubt it's Big Ben, with having 1 more super bowl ring and like it was stated on the blog he even has better stats. The Giants even have better offensive weapons for Eli IMO. The Giants can't play the "well Big Ben has the better defense" card because the Giants have a very good defense as well.

Manning handled the Steelers?

Really?

What about his 19/32, 199yds, 1 TD was so inspiring?

The reason NYG won over Pittsburgh (By 7 freakin points, way to sensationalize).... Was the same reason they beat New England in the Superbowl. Their front 4.

It took 4 Roethlisberger INT's for NYG to beat Pittsburgh by 1 touchdown.

Yeah... Manning really Manhandled Pittsburgh.

As for your information that Roethlisberger pads stats against the Bengals/Browns? Did you actually look up any of the statistical evidence?

In 2008 his top 3 Performances:

SD: 31/41 308 Yards
TEN: 25/39 329 Yards 2TD:2INT
Jax: 26/41 309 Yards 3TD:1INT

Not 1 AFCN team there. Odd.

What makes this even more funny is this statline:

Eli threw over 200+ Yards in 6 games last year.

Washington x2
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Seattle
Arizona

So.. who was padding stats against inferior competition?

And my last point is, There's no way you can Credit Manning for their win, just like you can't give Ben Credit for the Seahawks.

The NYG Front 4 and David Tyree were the only reason that game was an upset and not the Patriots 4th Lombardi

Steelersfan4life
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I think you miss interpreted what I said, I agree with you. The only reason Eli won the super bowl was because of their great d-line and an amazing catch by David Tyree that he could probably never catch again. The stats that i were referring to was the ones that James Walker said on the blog. (I read all the way to the point were Mosley responded because I don't agree with him) I believe that if you switch Big Ben and Eli, Big Ben would be great because over the offensive weapons and arguably the best o-line in the NFL. With that being said at the end of the day it all means nothing without super bowl victories, they have been in the NFL the same amount of time and Big Ben has one more SB ring. So Big Ben > Eli

skarocksoi
07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
are they going to keep madden10 for pc as well or are they screwing the non console user again (Still pissed I can't import a draft class for madden anymore)

I have no idea. I'm holding off on Madden until I hear some reviews. I've bought it the past two years and maybe played it a total of 2 hours. NCAA will always be better for me until they make franchise better. NHL is has surpassed it in my mind as the second sports game I want. Maybe Tiger this year too.

Steelersfan4life
07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Derrick Mason has retired. Thats a big hit for the Ravens. Hopefully that makes our secondaries job a little easier when we face them.

Mr. Stiller
07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I think you miss interpreted what I said, I agree with you. The only reason Eli won the super bowl was because of their great d-line and an amazing catch by David Tyree that he could probably never catch again. The stats that i were referring to was the ones that James Walker said on the blog. (I read all the way to the point were Mosley responded because I don't agree with him) I believe that if you switch Big Ben and Eli, Big Ben would be great because over the offensive weapons and arguably the best o-line in the NFL. With that being said at the end of the day it all means nothing without super bowl victories, they have been in the NFL the same amount of time and Big Ben has one more SB ring. So Big Ben > Eli

:) I think you misinterpreted what I said.

That would have been my response to the weak arguments promoted by the author.

Steelersfan4life
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I was looking at the salary cap numbers for the AFC North on ESPN.com and I find it funny that the Steelers have the lowest salary but the greatest success, while the Browns have the greatest salary yet fairly poor success. Thats why I love our FO.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Season's Ruined!

Hartwig Broke his Toe!

Lol, just kidding. But he really did break his toe, though.

He supposedly dropped something on his foot, and should only miss the beginning of training camp. This, in turn, promotes competition between A.Q. and Darnell, and this could be Shipley's biggest opportunity to show what he's got.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/07/hartwig-has-broken-toe.html

brat316
07-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Season's Ruined!

Hartwig Broke his Toe!

Lol, just kidding. But he really did break his toe, though.

He supposedly dropped something on his foot, and should only miss the beginning of training camp. This, in turn, promotes competition between A.Q. and Darnell, and this could be Shipley's biggest opportunity to show what he's got.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/07/hartwig-has-broken-toe.html

I;m not expecting anything out of Shipley, I still think he will be a disappointment. If only he had Russ Grimm to work with, he might have made it as a capable back up.

skarocksoi
07-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I;m not expecting anything out of Shipley, I still think he will be a disappointment. If only he had Russ Grimm to work with, he might have made it as a capable back up.

He was a 7th round pick, so I'm not sure how he's going to disappoint anyone. If he doesn't make the team, we aren't really losing a whole lot. I'm sure some people, myself included, will be a little upset, but only because he's a hometown kid. In only a football sense, no one outside of Penn State fans or some pittsburgh people really cares what he does.

And I don't know if the Russ Grimm thing was supposed to be sarcastic or not, but I think Zeirlein will be better for him as A.Q. would probably benefit from being more of a technician than a straight power guy. Which I believe people have said Zeirlein stresses, if I recall correctly. But I do recall one of those two coaches winning a superbowl ring this past year while the other did not...

brat316
07-15-2009, 10:12 AM
He was a 7th round pick, so I'm not sure how he's going to disappoint anyone. If he doesn't make the team, we aren't really losing a whole lot. I'm sure some people, myself included, will be a little upset, but only because he's a hometown kid. In only a football sense, no one outside of Penn State fans or some pittsburgh people really cares what he does.

And I don't know if the Russ Grimm thing was supposed to be sarcastic or not, but I think Zeirlein will be better for him as A.Q. would probably benefit from being more of a technician than a straight power guy. Which I believe people have said Zeirlein stresses, if I recall correctly. But I do recall one of those two coaches winning a superbowl ring this past year while the other did not...

Ohhh true that, but one of those coaches already had one.

skarocksoi
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah I certainly don't think that Zierlein is the be-all end-all of Oline coaches or anything, but you can count me among those that dont buy into the "Russ Grimm is the best" thing like others have. Especially now that others seemed to have passed on him for jobs several times. Definitely a good line coach though.

Regardless of what may happen, at least we know that with Zierlein, Shipley will always have a great stash of porn. Where as with Grimm, all he would have gotten was the porn 'stache.

Steelersfan4life
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Since Shipley was brought up I have been meaning to ask...
We traded Sean Mahan before the season to the bucs for the 7th round pick we used to get Shipley, so who would you rather have Sean Mahan or AQ Shipley?

skarocksoi
07-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I'd prefer Ship, just because we know Mahan sucks. This is one case where I would take an unknown, just because Shipley could end up being something more, but at worst we traded a player who sucks for another player who sucks (but has a smaller contract and can easily be cut from the team).

Smooth Criminal
07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Mahan was a complete waste of space and money. Mahan was one of the worst lineman I have ever seen.

While Hartwigs out I'd like to see Stapleton start at C and Essex at RG. Let Essex, Urbik, and Stapleton compete at RG when Hartwig get back in the lineup.

no bare feet
07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Mahan is terrible.

Mr. Stiller
07-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Mahan was a complete waste of space and money. Mahan was one of the worst lineman I have ever seen.

While Hartwigs out I'd like to see Stapleton start at C and Essex at RG. Let Essex, Urbik, and Stapleton compete at RG when Hartwig get back in the lineup.

Meh... Mahan wasn't a waste of money. Considering our only other option was an overpaid Chukky Okobi who couldn't even beat out a UDFA in Arizona...

He didn't deserve what he was paid, but for 1 season before we traded him, he did better than what we would've gotten from anyone else available.

Smooth Criminal
07-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Theree had to be a better option to sign than Mahan. He was terrible. Simply out matched by every other DL.

We spent alot of money to get him, 4 year 16 million iirc, its been awile so that might be off. There had to have been a better option to spend that money on. Okobi certainly wouldn't have been a good solution either.

Hines
07-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I am so excited for training camp. I will have pictures up when I go!

Mr. Stiller
07-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Theree had to be a better option to sign than Mahan. He was terrible. Simply out matched by every other DL.

We spent alot of money to get him, 4 year 16 million iirc, its been awile so that might be off. There had to have been a better option to spend that money on. Okobi certainly wouldn't have been a good solution either.

Thats my point.. Saying "there had to be someone better" and actually FINDING someone better are 2 different entities.

Don't get me wrong, Mahan was literally near the bottom of the barrel (Not the bottom because we still had Okobi).

The fact is.. who else could we possibly have signed?

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2007

DeathbyStat
07-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I am so excited for training camp. I will have pictures up when I go!

Yeah I'll be there, I'm there every year, its great fun

Mr. Stiller
07-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah I'll be there, I'm there every year, its great fun

When is everyone planning on going?

I can definitely make a weekend day.

I live a mere 1.5 hours away

DeathbyStat
07-19-2009, 06:30 PM
When is everyone planning on going?

I can definitely make a weekend day.

I live a mere 1.5 hours away

I'm not sure what day i'm going....but i live in greensburg so I'm not very far away

no bare feet
07-20-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm interested to see if Sweed learned how to run a route yet.

Mr. Stiller
07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure what day i'm going....but i live in greensburg so I'm not very far away

I live in Nanty Glo so, I'm not extremely far away.

terribletowel39
07-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm interested to see if Sweed learned how to run a route yet.
Him getting open wasn't the problem. It was catching the ball. And apparently, the reports are he has been working pretty damn hard on ball catching.

no bare feet
07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Him getting open wasn't the problem. It was catching the ball. And apparently, the reports are he has been working pretty damn hard on ball catching.

He should spend a summer doing that Chris Carter camp, unless he already has. I know that many WRs come from that camp polished with a greater concentration level. Concentration levels is a problem many younger WRs have and Sweed is one of the leaders of the pack.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Uh oh.

Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexual assault by a woman from Nevada, claiming the events happened on July 2008.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/07/20/sports/steelers/doc4a65461dd14b2498313951.txt

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09202/985312-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

This is downright horrible for him. It tarnishes his image, and that of the Steelers as well. That type of behavior not only gets league suspensions, but also could end up with players leaving teams.

Now I'm sure Ben wouldn't be traded (being the best young franchise QB in the league and whatnot) but if this turns out to be a big issue, the league might go into it and this could hurt the chances of repeating.

Here's what one of the articles says:

"Roethlisberger faces one civil count of assault, one civil count of sexual assault and battery, one civil count of false imprisonment, one civil count of false pretenses, one civil count of fraud, and one civil count of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

McNulty alleges that Roethlisberger forced her to have sex with him in his hotel room in July 2008. McNulty reportedly works at that hotel."

Hopefully his lawyer is saying the truth and nothing did happen. As of right now, it's all a waiting game.

Mr. Stiller
07-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Uh oh.

Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexual assault by a woman from Nevada, claiming the events happened on July 2008.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/07/20/sports/steelers/doc4a65461dd14b2498313951.txt

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09202/985312-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

This is downright horrible for him. It tarnishes his image, and that of the Steelers as well. That type of behavior not only gets league suspensions, but also could end up with players leaving teams.

Now I'm sure Ben wouldn't be traded (being the best young franchise QB in the league and whatnot) but if this turns out to be a big issue, the league might go into it and this could hurt the chances of repeating.

Here's what one of the articles says:

"Roethlisberger faces one civil count of assault, one civil count of sexual assault and battery, one civil count of false imprisonment, one civil count of false pretenses, one civil count of fraud, and one civil count of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

McNulty alleges that Roethlisberger forced her to have sex with him in his hotel room in July 2008. McNulty reportedly works at that hotel."

Hopefully his lawyer is saying the truth and nothing did happen. As of right now, it's all a waiting game.

*She waited a year to file a civil suit, with no attempt at a Criminal investigation.

*She is looking for a settlement, not justice.

*She's suing the entire staff for collusion/defamation for saying that no rape occured.

I'm thinking she's looking for a jackpot to secure a boobjob or a vacation.

terribletowel39
07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Yea. I agree with Mr. Stiller. I mean c'mon. I would have sex with Ben Roethlisberger if he asked me to......I mean..uh.....

Mr. Stiller
07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Yea. I agree with Mr. Stiller. I mean c'mon. I would have sex with Ben Roethlisberger if he asked me to......I mean..uh.....

There is so much jacked up crap in her story it's insane.

Not to mention the shrink she was seeing was supposedly for some Phantom K.I.A. Soldier in Iraq.

Hines
07-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Is anyone going to the Big Ben vs Shaq thing in Ambridge Friday?

ChefMike
07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I will say this, I TRUELY HOPE its not true... I REALLY REALLY don't want to beat the Steelers (Ravens Fan) and have anyone say, "if we had Big Ben..."

But the fact is... this does tarnish his image and in conjunction hurts the steelers image as well. If Goodell doesn't do his own investigation your going to see the NFLPA scream he is playing favorites because if you look at Pac Man Jones he was suspended before he was even convicted, and NEVER was.
Michael Vick was dismissed from the team before the gavel sounded on his judegement and same with Plaxico. Goodell is going to have to play this one very tight and toe the line very easily...

terribletowel39
07-22-2009, 12:22 PM
So how about some predictions?? Something to get the conversion going.

Woodley has more sacks than Harrison until week 12.

Timmons has 10+ sacks on the season giving us atleast 30 sacks between 3 LBers. (closer to 45 between the 3)

Urbik breaks into the lineup by week 5. (hopefully)

Charlie Batch is not our back up and retires.

We have a top 10 rushing attack once again with Parker and Mendenhall completely healthy.

We have 2 KO's returned for TD's.

Troy P does not get hit with the Madden curse, instead transfers all of the curse through Samoan rituals to Fitzgerald.

CDub
07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Ben will be fine. This case might not even make it to court.

The story is that Ben was in his hotel room - called the front desk for repairs to the audio on his TV - she came up - they had sex - and then a year later she decides it was sexual assault?!?!?!?! Come on.

Where have we heard this before - hotel employee goes to star athlete's room, has sex with him, then claims assault.....hmmmm.

The fact that it took her a year to come out with this, and that there were never any criminal charges filed, tells me SHE JUST WANTS PAID!!!!!

It's sad that some women out there try to get over on rich men like this.

Having said all that - IF Ben is found guilty and this turns out to be true I will rescind my comments because no woman should ever have to go through something like that - but as of right now all signs point to a quick cash grab.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-22-2009, 01:21 PM
What's more, the fact that she gained around $380,000 of medical bills up to now and is unable to pay them is even more evidence against her.

She claims that most of it comes from anxiety and depression after the rape, but an ex-coworker of hers stated that the bills had nothing to do with Ben, but rather with her dating, and supposedly getting engaged, with an american soldier in Iraq. However, it turns out that she only spoke with him through email and chat and stuff, and he never really existed. It was a woman playing some kind of prank or joke or some twisted thing, and that left her pretty effed up. That is supposed to be the real reason why she has huge medical bills.

CDub
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Timmons has 10+ sacks on the season giving us atleast 30 sacks between 3 LBers. (closer to 45 between the 3)

We have a top 10 rushing attack once again with Parker and Mendenhall completely healthy.

Troy P does not get hit with the Madden curse, instead transfers all of the curse through Samoan rituals to Fitzgerald.

I think Woodley will have a break out year (not that he was a chump last year) due to the added attention that James will get on the other side. When you're the reigning D MVP all protection schemes will shift to your side.

I'm not sure Timmons will have that many sacks. Our scheme isn't necessarily focused on MLB's getting a lot of sacks. They mostly stuff the run and drop into coverage - which is where I think Timmons will excel. IMO he can cover just about every TE in the league as well as many of the slot receivers. However, it has been a while since LeBeau has had a MLB with Timmons' skill set so I'm sure he will come up with something exotic - the man is a wizard after all.

I'm thinking Urbik has a very strong chance to be our starting RG out of TC. I was thrilled when we got him. I had him rated as an early 2nd rd talent and think he fits our system much better than Stapelton.

I don't see Batch retiring and I really hope he doesn't for a couple reasons - 1. I don't think we have a better 2nd option right now and 2. Ben relies very heavily on Charlie. Every time he comes to the sideline he's asking Charlie what he saw and what reads he may have missed.

If both stay healthy I think our run game could be dynamic this year. As exciting as he is, I think we're all aware that Willie isn't a 300 carries/year guy. If he can split time with Mendy (not to mention Moore getting some 3rd down duties and late game/blowout carries) and be healthy for the 2nd half of the season, we should be strong down the stretch and into the playoffs.

My concern with Troy is less the Madden curse and more the way he's played to this point in his career. The whole "no regard for life or limb" attitute has made him a spectacular player to watch, but has also resulted in (I believe) 7 concussions throughout his life, not to mention the wear and tear oin his body. I can only hope that he holds up for a few more years. But if he starts to break down I would not be surprised.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Agree on Woodley.

Agree on Timmons.

I think Urbik starts later in the season. Tomlin has shown us that he likes to keep his starters intact unless they absolutely suck or do something stupid or get injured. He kept playing Simmons last year until he was injured. Plus, I think that Stapleton will appear to player better (or actually might) given the easier schedule we have this year.

I think Batch stays as the #3 all season and might then stay longer at the same position, but Dixon becomes the #2 QB.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I say we have a top 5 rushing attack this year. With both players healthy, and Mewelde giving in some good yardage every now and then, and Frank the Tank slamming defenders at the goal-line, I think we have a legitimate chance of being a great running team again. Yeah, we have a bad o-line, but check out who we're playing next year and their rankings in defense against the run (from last year):

Titans - 6
Bears - 5
Bengals - 21
Chargers - 11
Lions - 32
Browns - 28
Vikings - 1
Broncos - 27
Bengals - 21
Chiefs - 30
Ravens - 3
Raiders - 31
Browns - 28
Packers - 26
Ravens - 3
Dolphins - 10

We play against 4 out of the 5 worst rush defenses, and one of those teams is the Browns, who we play twice. That's five games against the worst rush defenses in the league. Denver is next at 27, followed by Green Bay. So out of the 7 worst rush defenses, we play six teams and one twice. That's almost half the season against horrible rushing teams.

Then there's the Bengals, ranked at 21, who we don't usually struggle against though.

That's 9 games we have against teams ranked 21 or lower against the rush.

Then there's a huge jump and we play 7 games against top 11 teams.

In order, they are:
1. Vikings
3. Ravens
5. Bears
6. Titans
10. Dolphins
11. Chargers

If the Vikings lose Pat and Kevin to suspensions, then there's not really all that much to worry about. If they are not suspended, then we simply chuck the ball. They are ranked at 22 in pass defense, lost Darren Sharper in free agency, and have an unhappy Antoine Winfield in his contract year.

The Ravens, in my opinion, will not have as strong a defense as last year, but will still be good nevertheless. Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, and Rex Ryan all left for the Jets, and that will hurt them. They still have Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, and Haloti Ngata, and they are the cornerstones of the defense now.

The Bears are kind of an enigma defense to me. They dominate at times and look like the Lions at others. Urlacher is still one of the best in the game, and Tommie Harris can cause a lot of trouble up front.

Tennessee lost Haynesworth and that's gonna hurt them A LOT. It should be easier to run against them, but then again he wasn't there when we played them last year and they still dominated.

Dolphins and Chargers are kind of like the Bears, great games every now and then, and horrible performances every now and then. We usually don't struggle against the Chargers, and Willie Parker ran all over their asses during last year's playoffs, but still, they're getting Merriman back and the defense could bolster. I don't really know how we'd do against Sparano's Dolphins as we haven't played against them under his control, but I think they're a gritty defense.

And that's my take on things.

And as for the Madden Curse, they're going to fight it out in preseason, and Troy is gonna destroy Fitzy, and that's the end of that.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure Timmons will have that many sacks. Our scheme isn't necessarily focused on MLB's getting a lot of sacks. They mostly stuff the run and drop into coverage - which is where I think Timmons will excel. IMO he can cover just about every TE in the league as well as many of the slot receivers. However, it has been a while since LeBeau has had a MLB with Timmons' skill set so I'm sure he will come up with something exotic - the man is a wizard after all.

I don't see Batch retiring and I really hope he doesn't for a couple reasons - 1. I don't think we have a better 2nd option right now and 2. Ben relies very heavily on Charlie. Every time he comes to the sideline he's asking Charlie what he saw and what reads he may have missed.

My concern with Troy is less the Madden curse and more the way he's played to this point in his career. The whole "no regard for life or limb" attitute has made him a spectacular player to watch, but has also resulted in (I believe) 7 concussions throughout his life, not to mention the wear and tear oin his body. I can only hope that he holds up for a few more years. But if he starts to break down I would not be surprised.

Timmons had 5 sacks this year as a back-up on the first two downs. I think that he could easily double his sacks as his playing time will actually double (or maybe even more). Plus, as you said, LeBeau will cook up some schemes to take advantage of his physics law-breaking speed for a guy his size. I'm almost certain that Timmons will not have a Foote-like role, as he was much more limited in skills than Timmons is.

Yeah, Batch is a mentor to Ben. That's why I say I want him for a couple of years. He's kind of like a second QB Coach. Still, I'd love to have Leftwich back instead of Batch. There's rumors that Byron wants to come back as he feels that Freeman will be given the starting job, and he said that he'd only be a backup for the Steelers. When he signed with the Bucs, he said they didn't tell him they'd take a QB in the first round.

As for Troy's concussions, they have been minor ones. The one last season against Cedric Benson was very weak. Troy immediately got up and kind of ran/tumbled/hobbled towards the sideline, all under his own will. He played extremely well the next week and nothing more happened. Compared to Roethlisberger's concussions, they seem like headaches. Ben has been obliterated three times now (maybe more, but I can only remember these) and two of those definitely hindered his performance, unlike Troy's. Against the Falcons two years ago and against the Ravens two years ago, Ben was simply destroyed. They had to take him out in a cart, and he was motionless after the hits. Against the Browns was the same thing, but he had two weeks to recover. Troy's concussions are much more light, and that's why I think that he still has around three or four years of savage play. He's 28 right now, so I say that around 31-32 he'll stop playing with reckless abandon.

CDub
07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Indeed it is scary to think about Harrison, Woodley, AND Timmons coming in on the rush with Farrior and Keisel dropping back into coverage and Snack/Smith eating up blockers. As much as I appreciated Foote and how unbelievably consistant he was - Timmons just gives us so many new options it's out of control.

DeathbyStat
07-23-2009, 10:40 AM
As far as Ben goes we will never really know the truth, but just please just write this women a check and lets get on with our lives.

Also this year is a true test of the madden curse if both Troy and Larry falter I will actual believe that it exists

DeathbyStat
07-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I think Woodley could have more just because teams will try their hardest to shutout Harrison

I'll be a little conservative on Timmons and say he get between 5-8 sacks and adds a few ints, I'm not quite sold he can stay healthy as an every down player

I hope Urbik plays as soon as he is ready, and hopefully thats sooner rather than later

I don't feel that Charlie will retire unless Dixon has a monster pre season. Plus if we lose Ben for an extended period the season is over regardless

If Mendenhall steps up I fully expect him to be the starter next year and Parker will be gone.

"We have 2 KO's returned for TD's." By whom? Santonio?....Mike Wallace?...Staphon Logan?

terribletowel39
07-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I'll say Mike Wallace just because he needs the smallest holes. Pretty certain he is the fastest player on the team.

Also, is anybody gonna come up with some different predictions?? That was my intent.

Like Mr. Goose said. I don't see how Timmons doesn't get ATLEAST 8 sacks. He had five last year.

Hines
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I think Bruce Davis comes off the bench well and gets 5+ sacks.

Heath will FINALLY get the ball more and get 8 touchdowns.

Santonio will have 1200+ yards with 10+ touchdowns.

Steelers defense will put up better numbers than last year's defense.

terribletowel39
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I think Bruce Davis comes off the bench well and gets 5+ sacks.

Heath will FINALLY get the ball more and get 8 touchdowns.

Santonio will have 1200+ yards with 10+ touchdowns.

Steelers defense will put up better numbers than last year's defense.
I like them. Ben sounds like he is going to have an awesome year. Thats 18 TDs just to Heath and Holmes. I am going to wait to see some training camp before I hop on the Bruce Davis bandwagon. Vernon Gholston proved that even if you are strong as hell you aren't necessarily gonna be awesome.

I hope you are right about Heath. I love it when he is involved in the game.

And I know it is ridiculous to think about the defense being better, but I'm with you. I honestly feel like the defense is going to be even better than last years squad. And people were talking abotu top 3 defense last year. Oh My God. I am so excited.