PDA

View Full Version : Post-draft reveals?

49ersfan_87
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Anyone have any post-draft information of what their teams thought and may have done differently?

According to credible 49ers beat reporter Matt Maiocco, the 49ers would not have selected Orakpo, Raji, or Maybin at 10. Their top targets at 10 were Crabtree and Oher

--If Crabtree and Oher were gone, I have no idea what the 49ers would've done with the first-round pick. They would not have taken B.J. Raji, Aaron Maybin or Brian Orakpo. It's a good thing the draft fell the way it did. Might they have taken Rey Maualuga at No. 10? I really don't know.

He also reveals that the top players the 49ers were targeting at the 43rd pick were Darius Butler and Rey Maualuga. When both were picked ahead of their selection, they traded out of the pick.

When Maualuga and cornerback Darius Butler weren't there, the 49ers traded out of the second and fourth rounds

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/04/leftovers-thoughts-about-49ers-draft.html

Anyone else have any post-draft reveals?

Me Likey Rookies
04-29-2009, 02:58 AM
I think on NFLN they said that the reason the Bucs traded to 17 wasnt because of the Broncos, but because the Vikings wanted to get up as well to take Freeman...

I also read somewhere that the two main considerations for the Bucs were Josh Freeman and Vontae Davis.

WMD
04-29-2009, 02:59 AM
I think on NFLN they said that the reason the Bucs traded to 17 wasnt because of the Broncos, but because the Vikings wanted to get up as well to take Freeman...

I also read somewhere that the two main considerations for the Bucs were Josh Freeman and Vontae Davis.
Yeah, I figured that was the reason. I didn't think of the Vikings, but I figured they were afraid that someone was gonna trade up and take Freeman.

PossibleCabbage
04-29-2009, 03:49 AM
I've heard from various sources in the Wisconsin media that the reason Green Bay gave up so much to get Clay Matthews is that they had a top 15 grade on him, and would have considered picking him with their first overall pick if the board fell in such a way that it made sense for them to trade down 2-3 spots. Apparently the Packers had been calling everybody from the late teens down to see what they wanted for that pick, and New England was the first team to extend an offer Green Bay was willing to take (apparently everybody else was asking for future picks, which Thompson is hesitant to give up.)

There was also no way that Green Bay was going to select anybody with the 83rd pick. That pick was going to be traded, whether the Packers moved up or down, in order to avoid having a single player be lumped in the "traded for Brett Favre" column.

eagles nut
04-29-2009, 06:39 AM
One of the beat writers for the Giants said they had a deal in place to move up to 20 to take Maclin but the Eagles beat them to him.

wicket
04-29-2009, 07:15 AM
if jenkins would have been gone (and curry obviously) cushing would have been the saints choice ahead of wells.

LizardState
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
It was common knowledge & confirmed in the Dallas draft discussion thread that after the Cowboys traded back to all 2nd day picks they had Jarron Gilbert targeted for their 1st selection. So did Chicago & they took him one pick ahead of Dallas.

In defending their puzzling, way overdrafted pick of DHB, Raiders coach Tom Cable told the Bay Area press Sunday "We do things here our way..... it's just the Raiders way." Which translates as Al Davis' obtuse, screwy, self-serving, anachronistic b/c I think I'm still coaching in the early 60s, old AFL, Vertical Game I still cherish way.

ESPN reported that Carolina's GM Marty Hurney who traded next yr's #1 to the 9ers was the same GM who traded their 2009 #1 last yr. Hurney learned as a disciple of former Chargers GM Bobby Beathard, who started his NFL mgmt. career with the Redskins, with their long-established tradition of the Future Is Now when Beathard traded away multiple future picks for veterans throughout the 70s. Hurney continues the tradition, maybe the apple didn't fall too far from the tree in his case, IMO it's still just as foolish today in the cap era as it was with the Skins 35 yrs ago, it's still mortgaging the future, classic team talent pool short term gain & long term pain.

LizardState
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
delete post

Flyboy
04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
if jenkins would have been gone (and curry obviously) cushing would have been the saints choice ahead of wells.

I need some proof on that one. Because we were trying to FIERCELY trade up to get Beanie Well TWO MINUTES after we selected Jenkins. I strongly feel that if Jenkins wasn't there then Beanie Wells would have been the pick or a trade down.

LonghornsLegend
04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
It was common knowledge & confirmed in the Dallas draft discussion thread that after the Cowboys traded back to all 2nd day picks they had Jarron Gilbert targeted for their 1st selection. So did Chicago & they took him one pick ahead of Dallas.

Actually Max Unger was the target, Gilbert was in consideration once we moved back, but Unger going to Seattle and Loadholt going to Minny was the reason we moved back in the first place, those two were higher on our board.

I also just read that the Giants were targeting Maclin at #20 and had a deal with Detroit lined up:

The Giants reportedly had a deal worked out with the Lions that would have allowed them to move up to the 20th pick to select WR Jeremy Maclin.
The details of the potential trade aren't known, but it likely involved the No. 29 pick and an addition early-round selection. The deal was contingent on Maclin being available at No. 20, and was foiled when the Eagles traded up one slot ahead to grab him.
Source: Trenton Times

Gay Ork Wang
04-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I saw an interesting video on NFL.com that said the Bears were going to draft safety Michael Mitchell with the 49th pick in the second round if the Raiders hadn’t taken him at No. 47. This was a pick that was highly criticized by all the experts as Mitchell was projected to be a late-round selection. Is there any validity to that assertion?

Ankur G.
Schaumburg, Illinois

Ohio safety Michael Mitchell was on the Bears’ “hot list” as one of nearly 125 players they were going to consider selecting in the draft. But I can tell you with 100 percent accuracy that there’s no way they would have chosen him as early as the second round.#

Also they traded back because Robiskie was gone, they didnt like Massaquois Dropsies apparently

Pitt
04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
The Steelers were trying to trade up for Max Unger in the 2nd round. Once they couldn't find a party, they opted to trade out of the second altogether.

whatadai
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Al Davis wanted to trade up to the 1st pick to pick Darrius Heyward-Bey so that when he actually turns into a stud, which he won't, people would stop calling him old and senile.

toonsterwu
04-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Anyone have any post-draft information of what their teams thought and may have done differently?

According to credible 49ers beat reporter Matt Maiocco, the 49ers would not have selected Orakpo, Raji, or Maybin at 10. Their top targets at 10 were Crabtree and Oher

He also reveals that the top players the 49ers were targeting at the 43rd pick were Darius Butler and Rey Maualuga. When both were picked ahead of their selection, they traded out of the pick.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/04/leftovers-thoughts-about-49ers-draft.html

Anyone else have any post-draft reveals?

Really a quick side note, but one thing that was a strong point in the final days was that it seemed like a lot of teams weren't as high on Raji as previously thought. I liked him, and I think with 330 pound guys, if you don't have a good rotation for them, you'll likely see the spurts of inconsistency that people got worried over.

Jonny
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
The Giants wanted DHB, and failing that Maclin.

Other picks at #29 would have been Sintim or Maualuga.

JETS5128
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
The Jets tried to trade back into the first to get Percy Harvin

BamaFalcon59
04-29-2009, 10:57 PM
The Falcons were considering Peria Jerry, Clay Matthews, Darius Butler, and Ziggy Hood with the 24th pick.

Considering those options, I like th Jerry pick with Butler right behind him.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Everyones already heard the Bears wouldve taken Mike Mitchell at 49 (thanks so much, Al)

But they also said they were zeroing in on "a pure free safety" but he was chosen a few spots ahead of them. Ive taken that to mean they wanted Rashad Johnson at 99, but Arizona took him at like 95.

I almost cried when it happened, then I did cry when I read that.

WMD
04-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I am quite distraught with the news of the Lions/Giants trade that never was.

Jonny
04-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Also, forgot this: Kenny Britt was the second choice of both the Dolphins and Ravens from what I heard.

Mr. Stiller
04-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Everyones already heard the Bears wouldve taken Mike Mitchell at 49 (thanks so much, Al)

But they also said they were zeroing in on "a pure free safety" but he was chosen a few spots ahead of them. Ive taken that to mean they wanted Rashad Johnson at 99, but Arizona took him at like 95.

I almost cried when it happened, then I did cry when I read that.

Word was if Zona didn't take him at 95 Pittsburgh would've selected him at 96.

But for Trading up in round2, Pittsburgh was attempting to trade up for Unger, then Levitre, then settled on a trade out.

I'm loving the draft though.

wicket
04-30-2009, 03:04 AM
I need some proof on that one. Because we were trying to FIERCELY trade up to get Beanie Well TWO MINUTES after we selected Jenkins. I strongly feel that if Jenkins wasn't there then Beanie Wells would have been the pick or a trade down.

check out
www.nola.com/saints
it says it somewhere in an article

SaintsMan
04-30-2009, 03:32 AM
"If Jenkins had been gone with the No. 14 pick, they would have gone with Cushing - the 6-foot-3, 243-pound outside linebacker who went one pick later to the Houston Texans at No. 15."

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/04/leftover_morsels_from_new_orle.html

I would have threw up. Thank god Jenkins fell to 14!