PDA

View Full Version : which new 3-4 team will have the most success?

killxswitch
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
The ones I'm thinking of are Green Bay, Denver, and KC. I don't think I'm forgetting any.

IMO Green Bay will have the most success. They seem to have more pieces in place, a better secondary, and had the best draft from a 3-4 front 7 perspective with the best NT and one of the best 3-4 LBs.

KC got two potential 5-techs but really overdrafted Jackson. And I don't think much of Magee either, but then I don't like Purdue defensive players.

Denver got Robert Ayers and that is about it. I really thought they'd focus more on D, specifically front 7, than they did. If I was a Broncos fan I would be pretty disappointed with this draft.

Malaka
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I'll agree with Green Bay, but I think we have had a thread like this before :confused:

bored of education
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
KC is in a transition year. I doubt they line up every play with a 30 front. They must first feel out via camp who fits where and what we be best this year for the team, so I am guessing they run 40 fronts 65%+ of the time.

brat316
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I think Ayers ends up playing end in the 3-4. Watch once he starts working out he is gonna beef up to 285-290. He is just to slow to play Olb.

Packers have the best set up at Lb, but there front is lacking. They got the NT, but DE is going to be a question mark.

killxswitch
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll agree with Green Bay, but I think we have had a thread like this before :confused:

If we did I missed it. I checked the front NFL page for a thread like this first...

rockio42
04-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I think Ayers ends up playing end in the 3-4. Watch once he starts working out he is gonna beef up to 285-290. He is just to slow to play Olb.

Packers have the best set up at Lb, but there front is lacking. They got the NT, but DE is going to be a question mark.

Cullen Jenkins should absolutely beast in the 3-4

abaddon41_80
04-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Definitely not the Broncos because Mike Nolan doesn't run a 3-4, he runs what he likes to call the "Big Nickel" with 5 defensive backs every play and linebackers playing 10 yards off of the LoS

brat316
04-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Definitely not the Broncos because Mike Nolan doesn't run a 3-4, he runs what he likes to call the "Big Nickel" with 5 defensive backs every play and linebackers playing 10 yards off of the LoS

isn't that like the 3-3-5 then.

princefielder28
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I think Green Bay has be the choice. Not fully because they may have improved through the draft the most or had the some pieces before hand, but Denver and Kansas City have done less.

hugegmenfan
04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
The Packers for sure due to sheer talent. With Raji commanding the nose and linebackers like Barnett, Hawk and Matthews- they will be very good

Menardo75
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Hard to argue with the Packers at this point. If Kampen makes a succesful transition then it should rival for one of the better 3-4 defenses in the league.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Green bay for sure- they have the nose tackle, solid linebacker corps, a great but old secondary, and solid 5 techs. Denver will probably have the toughest transition but look for big things from Elvis Dummerville.

The Dynasty
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Ill say Green Bay as well. They have an excellent offense especially the passing offense. Now that they have a NT and a LB that fits the 34 scheme more I can see them doing better this year and better than the other new 3-4 scheme teams.

kiranadwaney
04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
it has to be green bay no doubt. i think there front seven is far better than either kansas or denver. i dont think de is going to be that much of an issue, like someone said they have cullen jenkins, who i think is better suited to a 3-4. Then they have justin harell who i think will play left end, they used the 16th overall pick or something not so long ago and he aint had the chance to play yet.

The issue is if kampman can adjust to play standing up, and he will prove this season that he can.

both kansas and denver dont have the right players to run a 3-4. but my guess is that denver will have the worst defense of them all.

GB12
04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't see how anyone could possibly choose Denver of Kansas City over Green Bay.

Splat
04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't see how anyone could possibly choose Denver of Kansas City over Green Bay.

Says the GB fan...:)

GB12
04-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Says the GB fan...:)
Best Potential NT: GB
Best Potential OLBs: GB
Best Potential ILB: GB
Best Potential DEs: GB/KC

So, yeah.

M.O.T.H.
04-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Exactly. The others still have several square peg, round hole situations. Atleast GB has good fits throughout.

D-Unit
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Who is the DC in Green Bay and what is his background? Same for KC and Denver?

princefielder28
04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Who is the DC in Green Bay and what is his background? Same for KC and Denver?

GB :: Dom Capers

Mr. Hero
04-29-2009, 02:41 PM

I don't know about that one, I think Ayers is going to do just fine as a bigger rush backer a la Merriman.

bored of education
04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I wouldnt say KC has more square pegs just ****** players.

M.O.T.H.
04-29-2009, 02:42 PM
GB: Capers
KC: Pendergast
DEN: Nolan

senormysterioso
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Green Bay hired Dom Capers, he's installed the 34 in Miami, Houston, Pittsburgh, and worked last year on the Patriots staff

Denver hired Mike Nolan, he's worked with the 34 in Baltimore and San Francisco.

Clancy Pendergast is KC's DC, he's worked in the 34 with Dallas, Cleveland, and Arizona

bored of education
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Gibbs is the Linebackers coach for KC, he has some experience in the 3-4. I think Vrable's, Beisel's and thomas' influence will help the process for kc as well.

PACKmanN
04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Packers, our defense has more pieces and the better coaches, position and DC.

* Dom Capers - Defensive Coordinator
* Kevin Greene - Outside Linebackers
* Scott McCurley - Defensive Quality Control
* Darren Perry - Secondary - Safeties
* Mike Trgovac - Defensive Line
* Joe Whitt Jr. - Secondary - Cornerbacks

irishbucsfan
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I think GB did ridiculously well, they've basically solidified their entire front 7 in one offseason while totally changing schemes.

FlyingElvis
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I think Green Bay has be the choice. Not fully because they may have improved through the draft the most or had the some pieces before hand, but Denver and Kansas City have done less.

They have done less and started with less.

I definitely like GBay's chances better. KC probably has a better chance at success then Denver.

kmartin575
04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't know about that one, I think Ayers is going to do just fine as a bigger rush backer a la Merriman.

Uhh Merriman is an athletic freak, Ayers isn't.

kmartin575
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
They have done less and started with less.

I definitely like GBay's chances better. KC probably has a better chance at success then Denver.

I agree. Denver didn't have a whole lot of defensive line talent to begin with and they did barely anything to address the issue outside of the drafting of Ayers and some UDFA's. They traded a future 1st for a corner and drafted/signed probably a dozen other defensive backs this offseason but none of that will help when their front 7 is getting dominated.

TitleTown088
04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Which team has Clay Matthews?

fenikz
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Green Bay hired Dom Capers, he's installed the 34 in Miami, Houston, Pittsburgh, and worked last year on the Patriots staff

Denver hired Mike Nolan, he's worked with the 34 in Baltimore and San Francisco.

Clancy Pendergast is KC's DC, he's worked in the 34 with Dallas, Cleveland, and Arizona

no he didn't he is a 4-3 D coordinator and we fired him to switch to the 3-4

why isn't AZ on the list?

bored of education
04-29-2009, 04:28 PM
no he didn't he is a 4-3 D coordinator and we fired him to switch to the 3-4

why isn't AZ on the list?

because people still think that AZ ran a 3-4 last year :/

the decider13
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
The Broncos aren't running a pure 3-4 and neither are the chiefs. So default goes to the Packers I guess??

And I'm not disappointed in the draft. I love Moreno, Ayers and Smith. Smith is going to have a hard time getting past the fact that the Broncos traded next first for him. I still think he could do as good as Darrent Williams did.

One thing everybody looks past is the UDFA class. Chris Baker and Rulon Davis are both guys who were expected to be drafted as 3-4 lineman but went undrafted. If the Broncos had drafted both of them over some of the later round guys, everyone would probably give the Broncos a better grade.

Menardo75
04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I bet you the Broncos run a 3-4 no more than atleast 30% of the time maybe less. We didn't run a true 3-4 until he was fired.

ChiefLee
04-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Hard to transition to a 3-4 in a year. KC is a few players away. But they can't be any worse than last year's 4-3. :)

tjsunstein
04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
It will take more than one year to fully transition which is why I like that the Packers are going hybrid. We did all the right things this offseason in terms of players and coaching staff so we'll see how it turns out. We have our pivotal piece to the defense in B.J. Raji and drafted a more complete linebacker in Matthews to go opposite of Kampman. We're gonna have to wait and see how our DEs play at the DE spot in the 3-4. All in all I think their transition will go smoother than the other teams listed.

papa burgundy
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
isn't that like the 3-3-5 then.

nope.. it was a 4-2-5 and the defensive line comprised of 3 pass rushing DTs and 1 pass rusher at left end along with 2 coverage linebackers and an extra in the box safety and holy **** it sucked against the run. It single handedly gave up over 160 yards rushing to the Seahawks in week 2 last year when Mike Nolan refused to adjust from it, because we had won while using it in a game against the Seahawks 2 years ago. :)

senormysterioso
04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Word around the water cooler is that the Packers are still going to line up in four man fronts this year and I think that the irony of this offseason is that we're going to more effective in the 43 than the 34 even though we drafted to fill holes in the 34. A front of Kampman, Raji, Pickett, and a healthy Jenkins with Jolley, Cole, Harrell, and Thompson rotating in. Along with a LB corps of Matthews, Barnett, and Hawk. And everybody knows about our secondary already.

keylime_5
04-30-2009, 08:57 AM
green bay has a lot more talent than the other two. Plus they actually have a true nose tackle now in Raji.

kmartin575
04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
green bay has a lot more talent than the other two. Plus they actually have a true nose tackle now in Raji.

If he could get up to about 320 or maybe 330 Tank Tyler could potentially be a solid nose tackle for the Chiefs. He's already one of the strongest players in the NFL. I know size and strength is not all that it takes but at least he fits the profile of a nose tackle.

Borat
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
After watching Mike Nolan attempt to install a 3-4 in SF, I feel bad for the Broncos fans. In 4 years, Nolan never brought in a good NT. And he's bringing in Ronald Fields, a failed NT prospect in SF, to man the nose in Denver. What an idiot. Every season we'd attempt to run a 3-4 and by about week 5, Nolan would realize that he failed again to stock the roster with 3-4 players and we'd switch to mostly 4-3 looks. Jackass.

Brent
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Jackass.
You're being so kind to him.

keylime_5
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
yeah, I never liked what SanFran did personnel-wise with their defense under Nolan. Never tried very hard to get a stud nose tackle or pass rusher - and you won't do jack without either of those.

Borat
04-30-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah, I never liked what SanFran did personnel-wise with their defense under Nolan. Never tried very hard to get a stud nose tackle or pass rusher - and you won't do jack without either of those.

Hahah. Yeah, but we solved our biggest need, "overly-athletic TE with horrible hands and an even worse attitude." That was a huge priority :D

Addict
04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Hahah. Yeah, but we solved our biggest need, "overly-athletic TE with horrible hands and an even worse attitude." That was a huge priority :D

I resent that statement. Vernon's hands are WAY worse than his attitude.