PDA

View Full Version : Shot Put and Discus Tips

james.mcmurry
04-29-2009, 05:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone had some little tips that helped increase their shot put and/or discus distances.

I am a spinner and I throw about 40' and 100' (PRs are 41 and 110)

SuperKevin
04-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I heard steroids work well

Bigburt63
04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd help you out with the shot if you did the kick, but you do the spin...sorry man

bantx
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
In high school I've span all 4 years, the best advice i can give you is stay lay and on your last throw your free elbow around and always keep your chin up.

For discus once you have your form down, work on your spin speed.

Its kinda hard to just explain it without showing it..

TACKLE
04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I was the district shot put and discuss champion in the 5th grade. I got a ribbon. No big deal.

B-Dawk
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
i would say that you should probably use the glide for shotput, less things to work on and easier to get good at especially for you're distance level. disc is all about the release first and foremost, get you're release down pat, even if it means breaking down all the way to power position, and build back up from there. kind of hard to give advice without seeing you throw and seeing what might be wrong.

bantx
04-29-2009, 11:23 PM
why would he go back to glide when hes already spinning, spinning > gliding.

B-Dawk
04-29-2009, 11:39 PM
well yeah normally, im assuming since hes spinning and only throwing 40, either hes not strong enough, which cant be fixed really, quickly at least, or his technique is off and would be better off with the glide

james.mcmurry
04-30-2009, 04:36 PM
well yeah normally, im assuming since hes spinning and only throwing 40, either hes not strong enough, which cant be fixed really, quickly at least, or his technique is off and would be better off with the glide

Actually, neither. My technique with spin is solid, and when I glide I only throw about 37.

CashmoneyDrew
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I heard steroids work well

They're as American as apple pie.

BaLLiN
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
im a mid distance guy

wicket
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
my only point for the discus (regardless or whether you spin or not) is to really relax your shoulder.
the problem i have with spinning with the shotput is that you can get more speed out of your legs then most people realise. and that extra power is more difficult to tap with the spin.

that being said for shotput you just need to get stronger (eat the right things).

james.mcmurry
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
my only point for the discus (regardless or whether you spin or not) is to really relax your shoulder.
the problem i have with spinning with the shotput is that you can get more speed out of your legs then most people realise. and that extra power is more difficult to tap with the spin.

that being said for shotput you just need to get stronger (eat the right things).

I'm an avid supporter of spinning, as more of the top dogs use it and you can get more velocity easier with it.

I do need to get stronger, but I do have small errors in my technique. (Not that I'll be doing this in college since I'm going D-I). I was just wondering if anyone had anything that helped them out.

E-Man
05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
A good drill for the shot put is to practice throwing it over a goal post. It will help get it higher in the air when you throw it. It's something my coach told me to do when I threw the shot put in 9th grade. Also focus on foot speed and leg strength. Running those drills with the squares on the ground(you know the ladder drills or whatever you call them where you are) are good for that. Also stick to weight lifting, because leg strength is key.

I don't know much about discus. I didn't do much but play around with that.