PDA

View Full Version : If the 2010 draft was tomorrow....

hagy34
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
What would our top three needs be? And who would we take in round one?

I'd probably say:
QB, DT, DE

I'd love to see us take any of the following, it obviously depends where we were drafting:

-Terrance Cody: Eventual replacement for Pat Williams. A giant space eater who would open things up for Kevin Williams and Jared Allen.

-Jevan Snead: At this point it looks like he will be the 2nd rated QB. I don't know if we will be picking high enough to land him though.

-Greg Hardy: A great defensive end who should be awesome opposite Jared Allen.

marshallb
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd probably agree with you on the needs.
For players though I'd go with:
QB: Jevan Snead, but like you said I don't think we'll be picking high enough to take him, and right now I don't think there is another 1st round QB after him.
DT: I don't like Cody, to me he is nothing but a run stuffer, and while Pat doesn't offer much of a pass rush, in his prime, he was good at getting a push up the middle. I like guys like Suh, Oghobaase, and DeMarcus Granger. They ay not be 330 lb. run stuffers, but they are big, strong, and can still get after the QB and can be 3 down DTs, not just 2 down guys like Cody would be, or Pat is now.
DE: I'd say Everson Griffin from USC, Hardy like you said, Brandon Graham from Michigan, and Corey Wootton from Northwestern. I think all of those guys would be studs.

I'd rank the needs QB(depending on play this year), DT, and DE. After that, I wouldn't really know where to go. I suppose you could always say TE, CB if we somehow can't resign Winfield, and maybe OLB to upgrade Leber.

The good news is depending on which underclassmen come out, all of those positions could be loaded. At QB, after Bradford and Snead, you have Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen(underclassman), Jake Locker, and a guy I really like, Tony Pike. At DT, you have the guys I mentioned plus Gerald McCoy, Marvin Austin(NC), Allen Bailey(Miami(FL)*, etc. At DE, you have the guys I mentioned and Carlos Dunlap, plus a lot of guys like Selvie, Austin English, Greg Romeus(Pitt), Jeremy Beal(Okla), Ricky Sapp(Clemson), Greg Middleton(Indiana), etc.

If things go the way they should, next year is going to be a sick draft for defensive linemen. Overall, next year's draft should be really good. So far it looks weak at CB, RB, and to me there isn't a whole lot at OT, at least as far as studs go. I think there could be 5 or 6 OTs that could go in the 1st, but to me at least right now, I don't see anyone worthy of a top 5 pick, and only Okung imo would even be a top 10 pick right now.

BlueBandit24
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
There should be a lot of great value across the board next year. QB is an obvious need, Pat is eventually going to need to be replaced, but I also think it's time to look for an LT. Doesn't have to be in the 1st, but McKinnie is getting a bit older, is always a suspension risk, and I think he's pretty average to begin with. We have a lot of good players who are getting a little older so we'll need to restock with some youth next year. We likely won't be picking high enough for a QB, so I'd say addressing both lines will take priority.

Dr. Gonzo
04-30-2009, 10:33 AM
A line of Carlos Dunlap, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Jared Allen would make me drool. There is just no way in hell we will be in position to take the man beast and if we were picking that high we would almost certainly go QB.

trkaline
04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
If the 2010 draft was tomorrow..I'd wonder what the **** I did for the last year.

BGB
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
I would say it depends on weather or not Winfield re signs with us and also how well Tyrell Johnson plays this year. DT and QB are for sures but I would also add CB and S.

Every year under Chilly we have alternated offense and defense with our 1st 2 picks so I would guess next year will be a DT and a DB with the 1st 2 picks.

Crazy_Chris
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I love next years DT class I am glad they didn't use a premium pick on DT this year. I think the Vikings will be targeting a replacement for Pat Williams in the first next year.

russie
04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
by the time i was done reading the thread name, colt mccoy popped in my head. he should be in the range we will be able to trade to from our 32nd over all pick

BGB
04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
by the time i was done reading the thread name, colt mccoy popped in my head. he should be in the range we will be able to trade to from our 32nd over all pick

Colt McCoy is a 2nd rounder at best. Also if Sage or Tjack lead us to a superbowl we wont be replacing them we'll be extending them.

vikes_28
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Colt McCoy is a 2nd rounder at best. Also if Sage or Tjack lead us to a superbowl we wont be replacing them we'll be extending them.

Jesus i hope RosenFAIL doesn't lead us to a superbowl. If he does then Tavaris Jackson seriously FAILS!

hagy34
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I really don't care who leads us to a Superbowl; Favre, TJack, Rosefels, hell even Tebow. I just want SOMEONE to lead us there.

marshallb
05-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I figured that I'd do a way too early 7 round Vikings mock draft, without any compensatory picks included. It may be terrible, but it is a mixture of my thoughts on where players should go and about where Walter Football has them projected to go, and our needs, so here it is(I'd have us picking about where we picked this year):

1. Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2008/sub/pics/small/mississippi_greg_hardy.jpg
2. DeMarcus Granger DT Oklahoma
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cfv5HsdcBc0m/340x.jpg
3. Rico McCoy OLB Tennessee
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2008/sub/pics/small/tennessee_rico_mccoy.jpg
4. Garret Graham TE Wisconsin
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/89562/graham3_medium.jpg
5. Tony Pike QB Cincinnati
http://www.everyjoe.com/files/144/2008/10/tony-pike-nc.jpg
6. Cory Jackson FB Maryland
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03eG3Xy3l0aSG/610x.jpg
7. Garrett Anderson C South Carolina
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/45/455554.jpg

Please rip it apart and tell me what you think. Just remember that this is almost a year in advance, and there have been no college football games this year, so a lot will change.

hagy34
05-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I like it a lot. The nice thing about adding Harvin this year (assuming he stays in the league!) is that we pretty much have skill positions set. Peterson, Berrian and Harvin will be on this team for years to come. We can continue to look for a QB and just refine the defense and offensive line in this next draft.

marshallb
05-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I like it a lot. The nice thing about adding Harvin this year (assuming he stays in the league!) is that we pretty much have skill positions set. Peterson, Berrian and Harvin will be on this team for years to come. We can continue to look for a QB and just refine the defense and offensive line in this next draft.

Yes, and if Rice can stay healthy and play up to his talent level, our skill position spots will be very good for many years. Now we just have to get ourselves a QB...

the_legend_killer
05-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Any mock with us getting Garrett Graham is ok by me Good job.

Vikes99ej
05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Jesus Christ give me Colt McCoy. I won't even think about that.

hagy34
05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Jesus Christ give me Colt McCoy. I won't even think about that.

Haha. I somehow don't see us going with Colt unless Chilly is gone. I really think we go defense in the first round next year. I actually really like the direction this team is going, aside from QB issue. Our needs are being properly addressed and we have few Pro Bowl caliber players with plenty of years left (Peterson, Allen, Kevin, Hutch).

marshallb
05-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Haha. I somehow don't see us going with Colt unless Chilly is gone. I really think we go defense in the first round next year. I actually really like the direction this team is going, aside from QB issue. Our needs are being properly addressed and we have few Pro Bowl caliber players with plenty of years left (Peterson, Allen, Kevin, Hutch).

You can definitely throw Greenway and Henderson into the mix there, and possibly even Madeiu Williams if he can stay healthy. When he's healthy, Madeiu is an excellent safety. Plus we've got Pat who has 1 or 2 more top years left in him, and Antoine Winfield who has I'd say 3 or 4 more great years left in him. I agree, I love where this team is headed. If only we could get a QB.... But like discussed in the other thread Campbell is set to be a free agent next year, and other good young QBs have been on the block recently, like Brady Quinn and Cutler was even traded, so franchise QBs can be acquired if you're willing to pay for them.

vikes_28
05-08-2009, 09:11 AM
I really like that mock. But holy defense. Lol. I think we should try to trade up and go for someone like McCoy or Snead though.

BlueBandit24
05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't think much of McCoy as a pro prospect, and I don't expect us to be in a position to grab the Top QB's available in the draft next year so I think we'll have to look elsewhere. I'd be pretty excited about loading up on quality defensive prospects, but I'd also like to see another tackle thrown in the mix somewhere in the early to middle rounds. We could hedge our bets against McKinnie regressing/getting suspended and Loadholt potentially not panning out. Unless they feel Radovich is going to be a player I'd like to see some depth brought in. Overall though I like it at this point. :)

jsa230
05-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Green Bay
Trevard Lindley cb Kentucky
If Gb is picking somewher in the mid-late first(15-25) it could happen.

Lindleys Matchup vs Julio Jones in tuscaloosa will make or break his stock.

vikes_28
05-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Green Bay
Trevard Lindley cb Kentucky
If Gb is picking somewher in the mid-late first(15-25) it could happen.

Lindleys Matchup vs Julio Jones in tuscaloosa will make or break his stock.

Why are you posting that in the vikings thread?

B-rand
05-13-2009, 10:50 AM
last year at this time, looking towards the next draft, I was saying the Vikes would be taking Malcolm Jenkins...unless we can lock up Winfield for another 2-4 years yet before next draft I think CB is a very likely 1st round pick for this team. The guys they have on the roster at DT (Evans especially) right now appear to be better starters at their position than the CB's do. But we'll see what we get out of Asher Allen this season.

Even if 'Toine gets the franchise tag, that's only one year, so looking ahead would still be a concern for this team.

hagy34
05-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Why are you posting that in the vikings thread?

Haha that's what I was thinking...

BlueBandit24
05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
last year at this time, looking towards the next draft, I was saying the Vikes would be taking Malcolm Jenkins...unless we can lock up Winfield for another 2-4 years yet before next draft I think CB is a very likely 1st round pick for this team. The guys they have on the roster at DT (Evans especially) right now appear to be better starters at their position than the CB's do. But we'll see what we get out of Asher Allen this season.

Even if 'Toine gets the franchise tag, that's only one year, so looking ahead would still be a concern for this team.

Corner could be a top priority depending on Winfield's status, the development of Asher Allen and the play of Karl Paymah. I'm OK with our depth right now but if Winfield didn't get an extension and wasn't franchised we wouldn't really have a top guy. Even though Winfield is not a shutdown corner he's a playmaker and really helps out overall defense. Sadly though the CB class looks pretty weak right now for 2010, but a lot can change.

JFLO
05-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Like previously mentioned, unless Winfield gets another two or three years on his contract, I think cornerback will end up being the #1 need come April. Cedric Griffin is far from a #1.

However, if a deal is worked out between the two parties, then I would say:

1. QB
2. DT
3. OLB

My current mock has the team taking Colt McCoy with a late teen pick.

However, I would like to see the team get Ndamkong Suh or maybe Greg Hardy.

vikes_28
05-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Like previously mentioned, unless Winfield gets another two or three years on his contract, I think cornerback will end up being the #1 need come April. Cedric Griffin is far from a #1.

1. QB
2. DT
3. OLB

Colt McCoy FTL.

marshallb
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM

1. QB
2. DT
3. OLB

I'd put DE over OLB. I'd rather have an upgrade over Edwards than Leber. Plus, Edwards is a free agent next year. Also, I don't think that McCoy is a 1st round pick. I think he's more of an early 2nd rounder, but if we are picking in the late teens, then we missed the playoffs, which means we'll have a new coach and that our QBs didn't play well enough, so QB would have a good shot at being the pick.

hagy34
11-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Well we are pretty much at the half way point and I'm wondering how people's thoughts have changed. It looks like we'll be picking anywhere from 28-32. So how about it? Lets hear some needs and possible 1st round selections.

I think it is important that we get Ray Edwards resigned first off. He's been good this year and this way we wouldn't have to spend a draft choice on a DE. I'm going to assume we get him back so our focus moves away from DE.

Top 3 Needs:
- QB - I'm in the camp that thinks Favre will be back in 2010. I believe this would be a great chance for us to take a QB and let him watch for an entire year.

- S - This really hinges on how TJohnson and MWilliams play for the rest of the season but I'm worried about them. It seems like a wasted choice because we expected more from these guys but something will need to be done if their poor play continues.

- DT - Pat Williams hasn't been great this season and it seems obvious that he'll need to be replaced sooner than later. Late in the 1st round might offer some good value for a defensive tackle to bolster our already premiere defensive front.

Possible 2010 1st Round Selections:
- I'd love to see Sam Bradford fall or us move up a bit to get him.
- Nate Allen should be there for us late in the 1st and he seems like a nice upgrade from the play we've seen so far.
- Marvin Austin or Arthur Jones are two options for us in the late 1st as well.
- This probably won't be popular but I believe that because of the talent on our roster we could go BPA. If we lose Chester in the offseason and CJ Spiller falls I'd be all for jumping on him. He's another gamebreaker that would give us plenty of value in the late 1st and would surround our future QB with even more talent.

marshallb
11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Well we are pretty much at the half way point and I'm wondering how people's thoughts have changed. It looks like we'll be picking anywhere from 28-32. So how about it? Lets hear some needs and possible 1st round selections.

I think it is important that we get Ray Edwards resigned first off. He's been good this year and this way we wouldn't have to spend a draft choice on a DE. I'm going to assume we get him back so our focus moves away from DE.

Top 3 Needs:
- QB - I'm in the camp that thinks Favre will be back in 2010. I believe this would be a great chance for us to take a QB and let him watch for an entire year.

- S - This really hinges on how TJohnson and MWilliams play for the rest of the season but I'm worried about them. It seems like a wasted choice because we expected more from these guys but something will need to be done if their poor play continues.

- DT - Pat Williams hasn't been great this season and it seems obvious that he'll need to be replaced sooner than later. Late in the 1st round might offer some good value for a defensive tackle to bolster our already premiere defensive front.

Possible 2010 1st Round Selections:
- I'd love to see Sam Bradford fall or us move up a bit to get him.
- Nate Allen should be there for us late in the 1st and he seems like a nice upgrade from the play we've seen so far.
- Marvin Austin or Arthur Jones are two options for us in the late 1st as well.
- This probably won't be popular but I believe that because of the talent on our roster we could go BPA. If we lose Chester in the offseason and CJ Spiller falls I'd be all for jumping on him. He's another gamebreaker that would give us plenty of value in the late 1st and would surround our future QB with even more talent.

QB is definitely our #1 need, no doubt about it. After that, I say we should go bpa. I hope Bradford falls so we can jump up a little bit to get him, as I don't think he'll last to the 28-32 range where we'll likely be picking. Right now, he is about the only QB who I would think about taking early, other than Clausen and Locker, who will be long gone if they do come out. Ryan Mallett has been wearing on me, and I kind of like the idea of taking him in the first if he lasts and let him sit and learn under Favre, who had similar accuracy issues in college.

DE would be a big need if we don't resign Edwards, who is playing great, but could very well get big money in FA if he keeps it up, and I don't think we'd be willing or able to pay him big bucks with the other guys we've got on the DL. If he leaves, then I think DE is our #2 need behind only QB; if he stays, then it isn't a need at all, with us having good depth in Robison and even Jayme Mitchell is ok for depth.

S is looking like it will be a need, but imo, Johnson has picked up his play lately, and that Madeiu Williams is the one who is struggling the most, but he had an improved game last week against Detroit. If they don't pick it up, then I think S will be a need, but I honestly would be a little surprised to see us take one early, or at all. Childress and co. have shown that they don't like to give up on guys early, and for the most part it has worked out, ie., Shiancoe, Griffin, etc. and with all the money we paid to Madeiu and the early selection we used on Johnson, it'd almost be admitting a mistake if they gave up on them now.

DT is another one I'm on the fence with, Kennedy and Evans, particularly Kennedy have played well when given a chance, and could get a shot to replace Pat. If a DT does fall, I'd like to see us grab one, but I def. wouldn't reach for one in the first.

CJ Spiller is someone that I don't think will be there, but very well could, and I hope we don't take him. He is very good at the same stuff as Harvin. Both are great at returning kicks and screen passes. Harvin can run the ball some too, which Spiller is more prolific at. Adrian has really improved on his receiving and blitz pick up skills, so we won't really need someone just to come in on 3rd down. We will still need someone to spell AD, but I'm not so sure that Albert Young or Ian Johnson can't do that. We would probably want to protect ourselves in case of an injury to AD though so I could see us taking a RB, but not one in the first round like Spiller.

OLB is another one that I've seen and I know there are some people here, who would love to see us take someone like, uh, say Travis Lewis *cough cough* vikes 29 *cough cough*. I don't know about that one, Leber has played well for us and is only 30, but is a FA after next season. So like we've done before with guys like Sullivan and Johnson, I could see us take someone this year and let them sit and groom them to take over for Leber after his contract is up like in the above cases with Birk and Sharper.

CB is another position I have seen mocks having us taking in the first or 2nd. A lot of them with Patrick Robinson, who is one of 2 CBs I think are worthy of a 1st(the other one is Joe Haden). I am one of those that doesn't like that though. Winfield can still play and Griffin has played real well lately, with Sapp playing well in the nickel, and Asher Allen making a few plays in the limited opportunities he has got. With those guys, I think we're fine at CB, barring another injury from Winfield, who has been a durable guy. Sapp and Paymah are both FAs, but I think we could resign at least one of them for cheap.

G/C is another position I have seen, and I am not a big fan of taking either of those positions early, especially C. Sullivan has played real well lately, and quite well all season. Herrera isn't a pro bowl G like he is being voted as, but he is a decent RG and while he could be upgraded, he is a good player, and is not holding us back too much, if at all.

FB is one of those minor positions, but we def. could use one as Tahi blows, although Dugan has looked good in his time at FB.

I think that pretty much covered all positions that are at least possible needs.
As far as order goes, it hinges on us resigning Edwards, if we do, then QB is our lone huge need, and after that, it depends on how guys play from here on out. I'd say just go bpa.
If we don't resign Edwards, then I'd say QB and DE are our only two huge needs, and then we can draft based on who falls.

As far as a dream draft, I'd say(with us resigning Edwards):
1. Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
2. Darrell Stuckey S Kansas
3. Boo Robinson DT Wake Forest
I'm only going to do up to 3 rounds for now, as I don't have time to do the rest, and it's way too early to be worrying about 6th and 7th round picks.

hagy34
11-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Sam Bradford sure would be fun. It sure will be interesting to see how we attack the draft assuming that we won't have a commitment from Favre at that point. It'll be very interesting to see what underclassmen declare, that will have a huge impact and what kind of QB is available in the late 1st round.

prock
12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I am personally a Colt McCoy fan and wouldn't mind to see him at the end of round 1. But, no one else likes him so I will discount that. If Ray Edwards leaves via free agency, what's holding the Vikings back from grabbing Aaron Kampman in FA? The Packers murdered him with their system change, and if we could somehow grab him, our D-Line would be legendary. And then with that position solved, how about we trade up and grab Sam Bradford? I don't know how this would work out money-wise, but I feel as though this would be the absolute dream scenario.

vikes_28
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I am personally a Colt McCoy fan and wouldn't mind to see him at the end of round 1. But, no one else likes him so I will discount that. If Ray Edwards leaves via free agency, what's holding the Vikings back from grabbing Aaron Kampman in FA? The Packers murdered him with their system change, and if we could somehow grab him, our D-Line would be legendary. And then with that position solved, how about we trade up and grab Sam Bradford? I don't know how this would work out money-wise, but I feel as though this would be the absolute dream scenario.

Aaron Kampman would be a huge addition. But I doubt it happens. I think he will go to a team that is struggling to get pass rush. And that is not us. I would love to slap our franchise tag on Edwards, and see what he does next year. And I would give up a lot to trade for Bradford.

marshallb
12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Aaron Kampman would be a huge addition. But I doubt it happens. I think he will go to a team that is struggling to get pass rush. And that is not us. I would love to slap our franchise tag on Edwards, and see what he does next year. And I would give up a lot to trade for Bradford.

I'd rather just resign Edwards to something like 5 years somewhere around $21-23 million with about 12 guaranteed, than have to pay him the franchise amount for next year, which is extremely high for a DE. I would also give up a lot for Bradford. If he falls to the mid first, I'd jump on him. It might cost us 2 firsts, but I'd be willing to do it, if it meant we got our franchise QB for the next decade.

I'd also love Kampman, but I don't think it'd be realistic or smart to have that much money tied into our d-line.

vikes_28
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
This isn't madden peoples!!!!

General Zod
12-03-2009, 04:10 PM
The more I have been paying attention and looking into Nate Allen from south Florida, the more Id like to see him in purple next season.

BuckNaked
12-05-2009, 10:36 PM
round 1: suh
round 2: locker
round 3: berry
round 4: mays
round 5: gerhart

unrealistic?

DHVF
12-06-2009, 12:48 AM

unrealistic?
I think we'd be lucky to have Gerhart fall to us in the fifth, but outside of that I would say it's pretty solid.

hagy34
12-06-2009, 12:50 AM

unrealistic?

Not trying to be a dick, but how did this thread go from possible 1st round picks to this?

vikes_28
12-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Not trying to be a dick, but how did this thread go from possible 1st round picks to this?

They are joking. Take it easy pal.

yo123
12-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Safety is officially the number 2 need behind QB. Both of them suck, I have all but given up on Tyrell Johnson. I know he's young but he has really shown flashes even.

I would rather have Willie Offord back then have Madieu Williams play another game here. He has been such a freakin bust.

hagy34
12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
They are joking. Take it easy pal.

I understand they are joking. But I don't understand the Madden comment. Enlighten me....