PDA

View Full Version : 2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion

derza222
04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Never too early... I figure it'll be nice to have a separate draft thread like last year to keep things organized when there are more current issues to talk about with minicamps/training camp and the upcoming season.

So, what positions does everyone think we're going to address in 2010? Any players that you like or think would be good fits?

Hurricanes25
04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Here are some guys that I am keeping my eye on.

WR
Damian Williams /USC
Dez Bryant /Oklahoma State
Arrelious Benn /Illinois
Marshawn Gilyard /Cincinatti

DE
Carlos Dunlap /Florida
Gerald McCoy /Oklahoma
Arthur Jones /Syracuse
Marvin Austin /North Carolina
Lawrence Marsh /Florida
Allen Bailey/ Miami

NT
Terrance Cody /Alabama
Boo Robinson /Wake Forest

***All of these guys above have a chance at the first round.
I also think that we will need a blocking TE, and a RT.

Crickett
04-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Never too early... I figure it'll be nice to have a separate draft thread like last year to keep things organized when there are more current issues to talk about with minicamps/training camp and the upcoming season.

So, what positions does everyone think we're going to address in 2010?

I think its very likely that the Jets are going to look at guard, defensive end and cornerback in the 2010 draft. Guard and defensive end, its pretty much the same story. Quality starter who is getting older. I'd combine that with Marques Douglas not really being anything more than marginal as a starter.

Lito Sheppard, I don't think he'll be a Jet more than one year. Even if he does do very well (which is what I'm expecting), IIRC, he will be owed 9 million dollars if the Jets retain him and the compensation owed to the Eagles will be bumped up to a second rounder.

thetedginnshow
04-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Like I said in the other 2010 thread, my bold prediction will be that if our first isn't used on the line, our pick will be Berry, LaFell, or Selvie.

derza222
04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Like I said in the other 2010 thread, my bold prediction will be that if our first isn't used on the line, our pick will be Berry, LaFell, or Selvie.

Why Selvie? Not sure if safety is going to be a huge need, I think corner will be a bigger one as Crickett pointed out, but Eric Berry is ridiculous. If he's on the board I wouldn't care if we were 4 deep at safety, I'd have no issue picking him.

Also curious why you're limiting it to LaFell. He would definitely be a great fit, but there seem to be so many other good players available. Dez Bryant can run after the catch and also go up and get the ball. Seems like he'd be a fantastic target for a young QB. Benn seems like a physical guy that we may want to use. And then Sanchez has some chemistry with Damian Williams, plus he seems to be pretty solid after the catch. All four besides Williams seem to be very physical guys, I think Bryant can do the most things but that's just my opinion. A case can be made for any of them though. I hope we land somebody, and I like LaFell, but just wondering why you limited it to him.

I love the 3-4 end class. Think we can get a great guy in the first depending on where we are, but we can also get a very good player in the second round which is nice. The value at that position seems like it will be pretty well spread out through the first two rounds. McCoy, Suh, Oghobaase, Odrick, Jones...lots of guys to choose from there. And Dunlap seems to be mostly potential at this point, but I bet Rex could do some incredible things with him.

Definitely think we'll have to look offensive line relatively early. Don't know if it's going to be a guard or a tackle, since if we draft a tackle we can always move Woody inside. Could be both.

Nose tackle deserves a look as well. I really like Boo Robinson. Cody obviously could be an option as well, really depends how Jenks holds up this season.

I think Crickett makes a great point about corner being something that gets a look. Put it perfectly and I think it definitely ends up being a strong possibility.

thetedginnshow
04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Just going by what I think is their criteria. We have a whole year so I'll talk about it a little more a little later. :P

thetedginnshow
05-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Actually, skipped one guy. Jerry Hughes. But I think I'm going to stop looking at 2010 guys now to keep me from ranking everyone.

Nj.
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
JERMAINE GRESHAM

He is my favorite prospect coming out next season, he is just an absolute animal, its as if Lebron played football

derza222
11-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Actually, skipped one guy. Jerry Hughes. But I think I'm going to stop looking at 2010 guys now to keep me from ranking everyone.

You know, back in May I found this strange, particularly the idea that an OLB would be an option in the first round. Now I don't think we take any of the other guys you mentioned in the first, but Hughes is interesting. At this point I definitely think OLB will be considered if the value is right at this point just so the D can get some good pressure without blitzing and convert more when they do. Obviously DL would help there but thos guys usually aren't going to be the ones who get to the QB.

SenorGato
11-20-2009, 01:32 AM
You know what I'd love to happen?

Romeus (I think he comes out) and Oghobaase in 1 and 2.

derza222
11-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Who thinks we take a guy with return ability this draft? There's a hole at #2 corner and a slot WR could possibly be drafted as well as well, at either of those spots I could imagine taking a guy who can fill two roles and make an impact in the return game as well. The kick return game hasn't been that effective with Washington out and wasn't even that great with him healthy after the rule change and the punt return game is possibly worse.

Don't think it'll be a priority, but I think it's something that could be taken into account when thinking about the kinds of players that might get looks from the Jets, particularly at those positions.

Hurricanes25
11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Who thinks we take a guy with return ability this draft? There's a hole at #2 corner and a slot WR could possibly be drafted as well as well, at either of those spots I could imagine taking a guy who can fill two roles and make an impact in the return game as well. The kick return game hasn't been that effective with Washington out and wasn't even that great with him healthy after the rule change and the punt return game is possibly worse.

Don't think it'll be a priority, but I think it's something that could be taken into account when thinking about the kinds of players that might get looks from the Jets, particularly at those positions.

I actually agree with you. Our return game needs some sort of a boost and I think there are a few players who we can get in round 2 that can start on either offense or defense and special teams.

With that being said, my ideal guys would be CB's Perrish Cox and Javier Arenas, and WR Mardy Gilyard. By taking one of these guys in round 2, we are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

derza222
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
With that being said, my ideal guys would be CB's Perrish Cox and Javier Arenas, and WR Mardy Gilyard. By taking one of these guys in round 2, we are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Three of my personal favorites as well. Really like Gilyard though I think corner makes more sense to go after that early right now. We'll see what happens with Edwards though, some speculation he may not be back. Not sure it happens, but something like that would be nice. If it does though, barring a trade down that nets another early-ish pick, defensive line or OLB would have to be addressed elsewhere or ignored.

Given DL really shouldn't be ignored, either DL would have to be addressed in FA or via trade or we would have to go in that direction in round 1, which I have absolutely no problems with. But in that case, you're putting off OLB for another year or drafting a developmental guy later and sticking with our guys for another season, since I'd imagine it would be tough to add another big contract there.

Hurricanes25
11-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Three of my personal favorites as well. Really like Gilyard though I think corner makes more sense to go after that early right now. We'll see what happens with Edwards though, some speculation he may not be back. Not sure it happens, but something like that would be nice. If it does though, barring a trade down that nets another early-ish pick, defensive line or OLB would have to be addressed elsewhere or ignored.

Given DL really shouldn't be ignored, either DL would have to be addressed in FA or via trade or we would have to go in that direction in round 1, which I have absolutely no problems with. But in that case, you're putting off OLB for another year or drafting a developmental guy later and sticking with our guys for another season, since I'd imagine it would be tough to add another big contract there.

Yea, Free Agency is going to clear a lot of things up. Right now we cango in so many directions with the first 2 picks. I do think that DE is our biggest need but I would hate to use an early draft pick on a DE which is pretty much a space eater in our scheme. Im really starting to warm up to the idea of taking an OLB in the first. Thomas just isn't getting the job done.

derza222
11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Yea, Free Agency is going to clear a lot of things up. Right now we cango in so many directions with the first 2 picks. I do think that DE is our biggest need but I would hate to use an early draft pick on a DE which is pretty much a space eater in our scheme. Im really starting to warm up to the idea of taking an OLB in the first. Thomas just isn't getting the job done.

I'd have no problem whatsoever with an OLB in round 1, and there will be a lot of options there. Still a concern at NT as well though which probably should be addressed one way or another. Plus some youth could be used on the DL also so I hope at least a selection is made there.

derza222
12-08-2009, 05:39 PM
I already asked about Cody, but what are everyone's thoughts on two other SEC guys: Joe Haden and Dan Williams?

katnip
12-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Don't know about those 3 guys (derza222) mentioned.. "Canes fan.. But, is Allen Bailey a 2nd round prospect who could be a DE for us? To me he has the prototypical 34 DE body. Plus Isn't Shaun Ellis only in the 280's? Yea 6-5/285 (on espn).. Bailey's listed on rivals 6-4/288

And I know size isn't exactly everything.

Hurricanes25
12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Don't know about those 3 guys (derza222) mentioned.. "Canes fan.. But, is Allen Bailey a 2nd round prospect who could be a DE for us? To me he has the prototypical 34 DE body. Plus Isn't Shaun Ellis only in the 280's? Yea 6-5/285 (on espn).. Bailey's listed on rivals 6-4/288

And I know size isn't exactly everything.

Bailey would be a perfect fit in our sheme. Right now he is a borderline 1st round pick. But he is going to tear up the combine and shoot up draft boards which will make him a first round pick. If he does declare, we will most likely have to take him in the 1st.

okay123
12-24-2009, 06:49 PM
There are a lot of things that need to be cleared up before talking about which positions we need to start drafting (will we resign lito/braylon/TJ/leon? are we going to trade rhodes? is richardson going to retire? etc.), but right now, i think we should be focusing on getting younger at the defensive line, picking up a pass rusher at OLB, and finding eventual replacements for faneca and woody. right now, i would be happy taking a DE, NT, or OLB in the 1st round. i know we guys like pouha and devito have stepped up this year, but i'd feel more comfortable if we upgraded there, and i'm a big believer in having a lot of defensive line depth. also, i have officially given up on gholston. even if he does show some type of improvement, there is no way he becomes a 10+ sack a season kind of guy. i think we need a guy like that to make our defense even better. it would allow rex to do a lot more with the blitzing packages as well. so a guy like jerry hughes or brandon graham in the 1st would be fine by me.

BuffaloBillsFan
12-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm going to cry if you guys land Golden Tate.

Hurricanes25
01-02-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm going to cry if you guys land Golden Tate.

I would say that there is a strong possibility of the Jets taking Tate. Our passing game has been terrible and Im sure they want somebody who will help Sanchez and be able to stretch the field. You may be crying on draft day.

Hurricanes25
01-02-2010, 06:55 PM
The Bills are expected to interview Schottenheimer for their head coaching job. For the sake of our offense, I hope he gets offered the job and hopefully he takes it.

Edit: Wrong thread. Sorry.

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2010, 01:19 AM
If Rex gets his hands on an actual pass rusher, someone who can allow Rex to put pressure on the QB without blitzing, this defense will be scary good. If Gholston could play like Brian Orakpo, our defense would be just that much better... I love me some Golden Tate or Shipley, but a pass rusher would be ideal. Also, another CB and DE would be nice.

I love how Pouha, Devito, Douglas and Green have stepped up. Gives us a little more leverage with our draft.

hcbrad08
01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
I know AFC championship game is on all our minds and the draft can really wait, but I just had some crazy thoughts recently...

Considering that next season is uncapped and we have some aging money on our roster. While 2010 will probably be an uncapped season and we are in the final four meaning we can only sign as many free agents as we lose we might have to make some crafty/borderline psycho roster moves to take our team to an elite level. These are just some of the paths I believe we should CONSIDER

TRADE:
Thomas Jones
Kerry Rhodes
1st 2010 1st Rounder

to

Cleveland for the 3rd pick overall

This is a pretty intense and risky move but one of the biggest risks with picking at the top of the draft is the money you have to invest in a rookie mainly the HUGE bonus. This year Suh and Berry will likely be sitting around 3.
If we could take either we would improve our team tremendously and get so much younger. I think the Cleveland element is realistic as we all know because they are sooo bad and have so many holes to fill they would get 3 players TJ, KR and whoever they take at 32 (yea I said it) to help them and the older contract wont hurt them in an uncapped year. Just a spit ball bc I dont like the depth at some positions in this years draft so it MAY be worth going after some top heavy talent. Just imagine, Suh, Jenkins and Ellis with Pouha,Douglas, Green and DeVito backing them up. That line would allow us to do even more blitz packages that Revis helps with now. And in a Berry Scenario, Ryan gets Ed Reeds CLONE in Berry to play beside the vet and scrappy Leonhard. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

STOCK PILE
Another option could be to stock pile some picks by trading TJ and Kerry in the uncapped season. We could target depth needs at DL, WR, ILB, S, and OL. I wouldn't mind grabbing a later 1st or a couple of 2nds or a combo of 2nds 3rds and mids to see a good team stay deep to truly prolong the success Rex believes we will have for years to come.

but in order to really prolong our success

RESTRUCTURING
I would like to see the Jets restructure some contracts that will be coming due like Brick (2012), Mangold (2011), Harris (2011). I'd like to see the Jets take advantage of an uncapped year and restructure and EXTEND contracts frontloading money to the uncapped year so we can keep our core of young players together for longer. Im not sure if there will be rules against this but its definitely worth a shot.

Draft Needs (for depth or other reasons) as I see it in no REAL order but close to something

DE
WR
RT
ILB
CB
FS
DT
RB
OG
FB

Players I'm looking at draft and free agency:

Braylon Edwards: Need to give him a full season-great run blocker and has size. Has to stop drops for long term deal.

Chad Pennington: His career is probably over, BUT wouldn't it be perfect to have a vet come in not really so much as a backup but as a tutor to aid Sanchez and Schotty in developing the offense and Sanchez studying skills. He's a smart guy who could help in the film room almost as another coach and provide a security blanket and some experience to a QB group that now outside of Sanchez lacks any starting experience (Clemens is gone as a FA). Also Chad retires as a Jet; he stil has a lot of ties to the community with the 1st and 10 foundation and he wont likely have many suitors should he decide to return. Unless a BAD team allows him to start I think this is his and our best BACKUP option.

Terrence Cody
Corey Wooton
Mike Neal
Myron Lewis
Golden Tate
Mike Williams
Taylor Price
Jacoby Ford
Toby Gerhart
Ryan D'Imperio
AJ Edds

Lemme know when you guys get a chance to look at this...in between now and when we win the SB...Hey if Rex says it so will I. God I love that MAN

ALSO:

check out the Kissing Suzy Kolber site for the Rex Ryan mock conversations and pep talks to the team absolutely PRICELESS. He probably has said things similar, just unreal.

thegiantcountdown
01-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I just watched what Al Trautwig thinks will happen in the Jets vs. the Colts upcoming game! Check it outů.http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2010/01/20/al-trautwig-and-fooch-break-down-jets-colts/

derza222
01-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Probably just a knee jerk reaction, but a second corner would be really nice.

Crickett
01-24-2010, 05:30 PM
This is going to sound strange after watching that game, but I'm going to say no. Weren't Sheppard and Strickland hurt or something? I would have to think so given Drew Coleman's participation in the game.

JETS5128
01-24-2010, 05:32 PM
IMO, corner and pass rusher are our top 2 needs without a doubt

BroadwayJoe10
01-24-2010, 05:46 PM
We had the best pass defense all year long, I really don't think secondary is our biggest need. Having strickland go down was huge; if you noticed, they went right at Lito as soon as he was put in and than went to 3 and 4 WR sets all game long.

Bottom line was that Manning and Moore were able to pick up the blitz and take advantage of the matchup problems that were created.

I think a pass rusher is our biggest need. You can't expect our secondary to stop Manning when he's getting 4+ seconds to throw the ball. Manning was just brilliant in picking up our blitzes, absolutely fantastic.

Biggest play of the game was when Greene went down. Couldn't keep our defense rested and couldn't get anything on first and second downs with TJ.

JETS5128
01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I want to agree that corner isn't a big need, but Sheppard and Strickland consistently got hurt all year. What reason do we have to think next year will be any different?

Right now, I'm thinking pass rusher in round 1 and corner in round 2

josh07039
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Another corner so Dwight Lowery never plays again. My god he can't run with a receiver at all.

derza222
01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't think that corner is the biggest need on this team and who knows if it matches up with value at that selection, but generally teams try to figure out what their fatal flaw was and fix it in the offseason. In this case, I do think it was the corner play. Pass rush is obviously key but at the same time coverage on short passes was not tremendous either and I'm not sure where a pass rusher fits into the starting lineup right now. Lowery and Sheppard got beat repeatedly during the game and it's not like number 2 corner play was a strength all year. I think we had the top defense despite it, not because of it.

Sheppard is in all likelihood going to get cut, and we can't presume he's going to be back. I'm just not sure who fills in there. Defensive line could use help but I think later picks are going to be used on that because people around the team think we can plug guys into the scheme and make it work. But it hasn't worked at corner, and it's been an Achilles heel all season long, people will throw away from Revis and it doesn't help to have guys on the other side who are prone to getting picked on.

Again, I don't think it's the biggest need on the team, but when you look at spots where you can plug a guy in and say they're going to be starting, that's probably the most obvious one. Along with another weapon in the passing game, I think corner is the easiest weakness to fix outside of depth in other places. Will I be fine if we don't ignore it? Absolutely. Is this a knee jerk reaction to the game? Yes. But it just seems like all of the other positions that are being discussed are more depth related than corner, and I wonder if it's going to get addressed this offseason. I will say one thing, I bet we start seeing a lot of corners mocked to the Jets regardless of what happens.

The one thing I do like about our needs is none of them are absolutely critical and all of them are about even, so we don't have to totally focus on one spot. It could just be me, but we could go DE, OLB, CB, WR, or RT in the first round and if the value's good I'd be fine with it. Maybe even NT as well, though Pouha stepped up big time after losing Jenkins.

thetedginnshow
01-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I would think OLB is easily the most important position of need. Or, at least that'll be where we go with our first pick. I think DE is pretty important but I just don't see that as something we have to address that early. And since more than likely we're going to keep Braylon around, I doubt they use their first pick on a slot receiver (but we definitely need one). I think we need to draft a couple O-Linemen, but since no one has been a glaring weakness to them yet, I don't really see them spending our first pick on a back-up.

There are some really good corners for our system in free agency.

And this might be a mild blessing in disguise. Now Rex can recruit at the Pro Bowl (not really sure if any of those guys are free agents). And, they can focus on the Senior Bowl and all that.

In general though, if we want to have the identity Rex wants, I think we need some more players that play angry.

derza222
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't think we go OLB early. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I just don't see it given the signals that are going out. Pettine just was talking about Bryan Thomas and how great of an impact he's had this year and how awesome he's been doing the dirty work and stuff...Pace obviously isn't going anywhere. I agree the pass rush needs some help but I think they're content with who they have and happy with overloading sides and playing with coverages. It just seems that the team is alright with who they have there...benching Sheppard before this game sent a different message about corner. Like I said I wouldn't mind, and I obviously could be wrong, I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that to this point.

Also going to be a little tough in FA since we don't have a ton of UFA's and we can only sign as many as we lose to other teams...agree with everything you said about other positions though. Regardless, with the lack of clarity in terms of needs it will be really interesting to see how this offseason goes.

thetedginnshow
01-26-2010, 12:01 AM
I see Scott observed us talking to Norwood. I guess I can cross him off the list of potential guys for us... but there's still hope for Brandon Graham!

BroadwayJoe10
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I see Scott observed us talking to Norwood. I guess I can cross him off the list of potential guys for us... but there's still hope for Brandon Graham!

Haha ya, I noticed that. Seems that there's a very slim chance a team takes the player they were observing. However, there seems to be a good indication of what type of player they may be looking at.

msolimani
01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I see us drafting heavy on the defensive side this year. Last year was all about the Offense and what a great draft it turned out to be. This year I think Rex will have more input and opt to draft defense with at least the first two picks. It might be tough for us to target a certain guy and trade up like we usually do because of our lack of draft picks and how late we are drafting in each round. Maybe we will move Rhodes and TJ to add some picks but who knows....

thetedginnshow
01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
MOBILE, Ala. — Just because the Jets have arguably the best cornerback in the game right now, Darrelle Revis, does not mean that the team is necessarily content to stand pat in the defensive backfield.

I was on the Sirrius set with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan as they interviewed Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, and he emphasized that the secondary is an important priority for coach Rex Ryan.

“Being around Rex for a year, you know you think he wants — obviously he’s a blitzer by nature — big, tough, physical guys,” Tannenbaum said. “But he loves the defensive backs and he loves to be versatile back there (in the secondary).”

Tannenbaum went on to explain that “inconsistency” was the reason for Lito Sheppard not getting the start in last Sunday’s AFC Championship Game against the Colts, and reiterated that Ryan likes to have multliple options at the cornerback position.

While Tannenbaum did not directly address anything about his team’s needs or who he is targeting in the draft, he did answer a question about Boise State’s Kyle Wilson, who is attracting some attention here at Ladd Peebles Stadium for both his coverage skills and ability as a returner.

“Those guys are invaluable. From the standpoint of on the 45-man roster, the more jobs you can do (the better),” Tannenbaum said. “I think he certainly will play for a long time, and he has good ball skills.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/26/jets-always-on-lookout-for-defensive-backs/

Just a tidbit from the Senior Bowl. They also said we have a large contingent down there, including Rex Ryan. That's good to hear. I thought they'd be in Miami for the Pro Bowl or something. Actually, I'm not sure why they don't have to be, unless he's planning on not coaching the Pro Bowl or the practices have changed because of where the Pro Bowl now falls in the schedule.

thetedginnshow
02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
I take back what I said earlier. I don't think we'll go OLB in the first anymore. We might, but probably not. I still see it as a big need, but I'm not so sure things will fall that way. I'm more expecting WR, OL, or CB now.

But speaking of WR, I'm not sure about here, but I'm very surprised at thejetsblog a good majority of the people love our WR corps, love Braylon, and think it's crazy to go WR early. Is that crazy to you guys? I know it's not, but I'd like to hear from someone that's under that impression so I can see if there's anything to it beyond blind homerism.

JETS5128
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
It's not crazy at all. You can never have enough weapons on offense and a good slot reciever can only help add to our O

Crickett
02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't think we go OLB early. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I just don't see it given the signals that are going out. Pettine just was talking about Bryan Thomas and how great of an impact he's had this year and how awesome he's been doing the dirty work and stuff...Pace obviously isn't going anywhere. I agree the pass rush needs some help but I think they're content with who they have and happy with overloading sides and playing with coverages. It just seems that the team is alright with who they have there...benching Sheppard before this game sent a different message about corner. Like I said I wouldn't mind, and I obviously could be wrong, I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that to this point.

Well, here is my question.

*IF* the Jets released Lito *AND* he was signed by another team, would that then allow the Jets to draft an cornerback and sign someone at OLB in free agency such as Joey Porter? :confused:

thetedginnshow
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Just wondering, but does anyone see FB as a possible wildcard position we could be drafting late? It's an important position in our offense and I really don't know how much longer T-Rich can be playing, so to me it seems like something that could happen unless one of the guys on the practice squad are going to fill that role. Personally, I'm only a fan of John Conner if we do go after someone.

okay123
03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
a bunch of things have happened since the last time people posted in this thread, so i thought i'd give my new thoughts.

after the cromartie and rhodes trades, we have added a 4th rounder this year and not given up any of this year's picks, which is great. in my opinion, corner was our biggest need before getting cromartie, but now, all we need is another player for depth because i'm not sure if i'm comfortable with coleman as the dime.

safety is now our most pressing need by far. eric smith is a good backup, but cannot start for a full 16 game season. we could either trade back into round 2 and get someone like nate allen or trade up and get someone like earl thomas.

OLB is second on my list as we still don't have a premier pass rusher. maybe someone like jerry hughes, sergio kindle, or ricky sapp?

WR is 3rd because clowney didn't show me enough in the slot last season, and it would be great to get sanchez another weapon in the passing game. tate or benn could be had in the 1st. maybe shipley in the 2nd or jacoby ford in the 4th.

Defensive line depth is next. all of our starting defensive lineman are 30 or older, and our depth is serviceable with devito and pouha, but even pouha is around 30 as well. we definitely need an injection of youth throughout the line. cody and dan williams could be available in the 1st as a NT, while odrick or price could be there as well for the DE position. houston is rising up draft boards as well.

a recent hole that has been opened up is RB. i didn't like the move of cutting TJ because i think he could've been fine as depth and is a great leader in the locker room. however, now that he is gone, we might need to look in the 5th-7th rounds to replace him. i could see us taking joique bell in the 5th-6th as well as blount or stafon johnson.

derza222
03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
What safeties do you guys think would be good fits, and where do you think the position will get addressed (if at all)?

okay123
03-07-2010, 05:25 PM
What safeties do you guys think would be good fits, and where do you think the position will get addressed (if at all)?

i think we have to address it in the draft because we are hindered by the final 8 rule. we need a ballhawking FS, so i think someone like earl thomas or nate allen would be a solid choice.

to get earl thomas, we'd need to trade up to the early 20s though, and we'd have to give up our 1st and 2nd rounders, and receive a 1st and a 4th in return. i don't know if i would like that.

to get nate allen, we could probably trade back into the early 2nd, and accumulate some more mid level picks, which would be great.

another option could be taylor mays, who i'm not a fan of, but i'm not sure where he'll go (could be anywhere from top 15 to out of the 1st).

i also remember hearing that we might make a move for antoine bethea, who has a 1st round tender. i personally don't think he is worth it, but it's a nice idea.

thetedginnshow
03-08-2010, 12:12 AM
I think our most pressing need is actually a pass rush. Safety is where we're most thin, and it's my favorite (and IMO most important) position on the defense, but I think it's far easy to hide a weakness at Safety than a weakness with a pass rush, and sometimes it was kind of painful for me to watch our guys try to muster up a pass rush. Plus, the NT and OLB positions are the most important in a 3-4, and an impact player off the edge makes a world of difference.

I'd say our needs go in the order of:
1. OLB
2. Safety
3. WR
4. RB
5. CB
6. DE
7. OL
8. FB

How the draft looks to be panning out, I'd like to see us draft them loosely in this order:
1. WR/OLB
2. WR/RB/S
3. WR/RB/S/CB/DE/OLB
4. CB/S/RB/DE/OLB/OL

I wouldn't say Bethea is worth it either. He's young and actually a perfect fit, but he'd probably command a decent amount of money and I feel we have to use our first rounder either at another position or to acquire more picks.

I think Earl Thomas is overrated, but on paper he's a good fit. I'm hoping we're not trying to trade up in the first though, so I'd be left to assume he's out of our reach. Taylor Mays, while an enforcer would be great, I see as just too great of a liability. He'd be perfect as a downhill force against the run, but I feel like he'd disallow some schematic versatility because of his limitations. Eric Berry would be perfect though. I'd really give up our entire draft and Leon for him and just say screw depth again. But that won't happen. Nate Allen just seems like an average player to me. Not too bad, nothing special. Major Wright is crap. Reshad Jones is overrated. He's an impressive athlete but he doesn't really know how to play. Chad Jones isn't committed to football. Morgan Burnett and Larry Asante are my two favorites for us, depending on what we're looking for. If we're looking for a ballhawk, a playmaker, a potential impact player, I think that's Burnett. I love him. He loves football, plays the game the right way, has range and athleticism, and can really do anything on the field. He just needs a little direction. As for Asante, he's not as talented, but he's a little bit more of an enforcer and he can more than hold his own in coverage. He has a natural instinct to go for the big hit than the pick, but he'd still be a real good player.

josh07039
03-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I really don't want a trade up unless we can find someone as stupid as Mangini to give as a pick for nothing again. The 2 first round safeties other than Berry just seem to not be worth giving up draft depth for. I don't know how much of a difference Earl Thomas will make over a guy like Nate Allen. And as for Mays, I would be excited to get him, but he is such a risk.

I think the Jets should probably sit where they are and hope that either Thomas or Mays fall into the 20s and if they have to trade up a few picks with the Rhodes fourth. Or as I would prefer, just trade down out of the first for Nate Allen as someone else suggested.

Also, while it wouldn't be ideal at all, we could draft a mid round safety who would be passable but not a play maker (I have an unreasonable love for Myron Rolle even with the 4.7). Then we could draft another corner in the second and convert Lowery to safety and rotate the three guys (Smith, Lowery, and draft pick). I've said it many times, I believe that Lowery is physical enough and has ball skills to be a safety. His big issue as a corner is that he just can't run with receivers. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and he becomes a good safety.

Young Nasty Man
03-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I always tend to post only around draft time and I am going to give some thoughts on trading up:

1. Is always a possibility the way Tannenbaum drafts. Last year we traded up to 5 and traded up for Shonn Greene. I have a feeling unless something drops around 17 or higher, we won't trade up because at our draft slot, its way too many points and most of our trading options that we'd be willing to part with are gone.

2. Safety is a pressing need but I see us struggling to get one of the top 3 guys. While I am a huge fan of Taylor May and he would be a great guy to drop in the box, he is such a big boom bust and after Gholston, I really struggle on the idea of physical freaks and as stated before too much of a liability. Oddly enough, this could wind up being an Al Davis pick. Eric Berry seems to be the only "safe" Safety pick but his value is too high at this point.
Earl Thomas is overrated. Maybe a good pick but not great in my eyes. I have an easier time taking Nate Allen in the 2nd or 3rd round and trading up then, then selling our whole draft for an Eric Berry or Taylor Mays.

3. This is a bit of a gamble yet deepish receiver draft. I would love to see us take a receiver in the first and build a legitimate deep threat for Sanchez. I don't care what people say but Cotcherry is arguably one of the best possession receivers. Obviously I am a major homer, but he makes all the catches and the last three games (especially), he always had two feet in and two hands on the ball. We gotta get a stretch guy. I would love Golden Tate with freakish speed and his work ethic is immense. Some people have Benn higher then him and some have Tate higher then Benn. I just feel like if Tate is on the board within our range, we pull the trigger.

I really wouldn't mind us taking a solid 3-4 DE in this draft high either but we gotta do something about the exterior front 7 for defense. I love Calvin Pace but I can't get my head around Bryan Thomas since he was first drafted. We all know Shaun Ellis is old as stone and Marques Douglas is done, we gotta find someone to fill this.

thetedginnshow
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Once free agency dies down a bit, I was thinking of creating a sort of mock draft on our board that we can all help decide on the picks for so as to better help us figure out who might be available for the Jets' first rounder. I'm putting this here as a reminder.

derza222
03-11-2010, 06:12 PM
It's interesting because while there's a ton of positions I could see getting addressed with #29, I'm not sure how many fits there are that seem realistic. A lot of the guys are valued too high and may not be there or are more second round types that would be reaches. Not really seeing many fits at FS unless somebody falls or they reach for a Chad Jones type, CB seems to be out the window, I could see Ryan liking Cody so maybe if he slips, Tate seems to be the only late first WR to make sense unless they reach for Thomas, Odrick seems to be the only end who has a chance to land in the late first, and at OLB maybe they like Graham if he slips or Hughes would be a really nice pickup if he's around in that spot. Probably a couple of other guys who could make sense but the fits aren't great Iupati maybe if he's around just for value? I'm just not seeing a ton of options right now. Seems our needs match up with value better for the most part either earlier or later, but maybe it's just me.

Also I would LOVE Demaryius Thomas in the second round. Obviously he's not a sure thing but at that point I think he's more than worth the risk, in the first round it's definitely a gamble. He fits in pretty well though I think, especially with his blocking ability, and wouldn't be forced to start immediately.

gsorace
03-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I'd say our needs go in the order of:
1. OLB
2. Safety
3. WR
4. RB
5. CB
6. DE
7. OL
8. FB

How the draft looks to be panning out, I'd like to see us draft them loosely in this order:
1. WR/OLB
2. WR/RB/S
3. WR/RB/S/CB/DE/OLB
4. CB/S/RB/DE/OLB/OL

I'm curious as to why you think a third string RB who probably won't see any significant playing time barring an injury is such a big need.

Unless you think Leon is leaving of course.

TimD
03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I would use the 1st and 2nd round picks to find a slot receiver (Golden Tate?) and an OLB. Then with the 4th round pick I would grab a guy who can get some time at DE and NT since the DL is getting up there in age. With the late round picks, RB and DB can be addressed.

thetedginnshow
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm curious as to why you think a third string RB who probably won't see any significant playing time barring an injury is such a big need.

Unless you think Leon is leaving of course.

I think saying "barring an injury" is like saying the Jets are going to play football next year. I will bet everything that Greene gets injured, and he's either going to miss time or his production will suffer because of it. His running style and his body type is just too conducive to getting banged up.

And Leon's really not cut out to be a workhorse. He wasn't even playing that great before the injury anyway, at least IMO. Neither backs can pass protect all too well (Greene really not at all) and only Leon can catch. The issue with having two backs with such a lack of overlapping skills is that it makes it fairly obvious what you're going to do when either is in the game. So, not only is there the fact that they need a third back (or second if Leon leaves) to take at least 30-40% of the snaps, but neither back even has close to a complete skill set.

That's why I have the need "so high". I'll actually go and explain why I have each position where it is.

1. OLB - Getting to the QB is the most important thing to the 3-4 (minus the Belichek 3-4). Some people seem to think that our rush is good enough because how many "pressures" we get, Pace's sack numbers, and so on. But really, I feel like anyone that actually watched a game, most notably the playoff games, would realize that our pressure on QBs of actual good teams is kind of few and far between, and a decent amount of our sacks come from coverage sacks. I think this could also be attributed to some of our defender's lacking ability at disguising what they're doing pre-snap, as well as a lack of innovation in how they line up, but still, there's an issue with the pass rush. Gholston does nothing, Thomas really isn't even in there to generate sacks, and Westerman is up-and-coming. So that leaves Pace who, while decent at getting pressure, really isn't a sack artist. Now I know part of the beauty of Rex's schemes is that pressure can come from anywhere from anyone, but in crunch time, you kind of need a premier pass rusher to count on and I think we're fully capable of acquiring one in the draft.

2. Safety - I left this here since this is where I originally had it, and while I don't know if Pool will definitely be the answer, I think now you can slide this need way down, though I'd like to see us address it still.

3. WR - To me, we really only have one receiver, two if you count Keller. There's no guarantee Braylon will be here beyond this year, and since he's definitely never going to learn to not drop easy catches, I don't see why we should count on him as a premier receiver in the first place. So while a lot of people say we need a slot receiver, I think we should just be looking at a receiver in general. Plus, I think it's kind of stupid to type-cast for a slot receiver, because generally if you're doing that you're negatively limiting your search by looking for a smaller, quicker receiver that can get lost in traffic and stretch the field. And while that's all well and good, I think that stunts any growth the offense could have because that disables them from potentially developing that receiver into a #2 or #1 option. Like look at what the Colts had with Garcon and Collie for example. Both are fully capable of playing the slot position, but they can also profile as flankers or whatever. So anyway, I think we need a WR, and I don't think we should look for specific traits, such as "a slot guy", or a "burner", or any of that, and rather just find the best receiver for our team. It's really a great thing because if they know our team's weaknesses well, this draft happens to be deep at all of those positions.

4. RB - I already explained this earlier, but essentially, I think we need a well-rounded back. I have no problem with a game-breaker, but we need someone versed in more than just one thing.

5. CB - Well still, we only have what, four corners? And one of them's not that good and another one can clearly only play the nickel, so that leaves two capable of starting which isn't that good. Nickel coverages offer up a lot of possibilities for blitz schemes, so I'd like to see us in that formation more often (and they probably would too). Thus, another corner is still a relatively important need. I'd say it'd be someone that's pretty fast and pretty tough (not necessarily physical).

6. DE - You'd actually kind of think that this is like our top need considering Ellis is old and the others aren't really worth that much (though they came on very admirably this season). But, I just don't think it's a terribly high priority in this defense. True, it's important to stopping the run and freeing up the LBs, but I just think it's something where you need some depth and nothing more; certainly not a marquee name.

7. OL - This is actually looking ahead. Honestly, I doubt all the starters stay healthy again and I'd be willing to bet at least two go down with injury at some point. Plus, Faneca and Woody are pretty old, and Woody's really not even that good anymore. This is such a low need though because unlike all of the other positions, you don't see rotations during a game so you're really only looking for depth, not to mention the fact that OL is one of the easiest positions to transition from college to, so we can address the need when it becomes a little more apparent (probably next year).

8. FB - Even if T-Rich comes back he's like 40 years old. The FB is a fairly pivotal position for our offense and there always seems to be one good blocking FB in each draft. We'll need a successor at some point and I'm not so sure Davis is anything more than a stop-gap.

EDIT: In case anyone's coming back and reading this, with what we've done lately, I'd re-arrange things to be...

1. OLB
2. WR
3. CB
4. DE
5. OL
6. S
7. RB
8. FB

derza222
03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Which 3-4 OLB's in this draft does everybody like for us? I'm a big Hughes guy, he would be my preference late round 1 and I kind of like Norwood as well in the second but I'm not sure he's an ideal fit for just getting after the QB though he's obviously very good at it. Also like Schofield and I go back and forth on Hardy for mid-rounds, and Worilds kind of intrigues me but I'm not too sure about him either.

josh07039
03-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Which 3-4 OLB's in this draft does everybody like for us? I'm a big Hughes guy, he would be my preference late round 1 and I kind of like Norwood as well in the second but I'm not sure he's an ideal fit for just getting after the QB though he's obviously very good at it. Also like Schofield and I go back and forth on Hardy for mid-rounds, and Worilds kind of intrigues me but I'm not too sure about him either.Obviously a homer pick and not an early guy or really a draftable guy. But getting George Johnson as a 7th rounder or UFA would be a really smart move. He was hampered by injuries his whole career but didn't take games off so his numbers were hampered. He is a really athletic guy who is a good size for the position. His best football may be ahead of him. With Westerman making such a positive impression last year, Johnson may be a possibility.

thetedginnshow
03-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Jerry Hughes would be my favorite. Then it's Thaddeus Gibson. Then Kindle? Then Eric Norwood. Then I think I like Worilds. Then probably Daniel T'eo-Nesheim and Junior Galette.

derza222
03-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Jerry Hughes would be my favorite. Then it's Thaddeus Gibson. Then Kindle? Then Eric Norwood. Then I think I like Worilds. Then probably Daniel T'eo-Nesheim and Junior Galette.

Thing I don't like much about Kindle is that he's pretty up and down. Plus he's overvalued IMO if that makes any sense...Hughes for example seems to be a guy who should get picked higher than he will. Kindle seems to be the reverse, to me at least. What's the deal with Gibson? I know you're a bit of a OSU fan, isn't he a bit light? Doesn't look like he's got a massive frame either, and he certainly doesn't have huge pass rushing numbers. I'll be honest I've never watched him play but so I really don't know, but he seems like even less of a pass rusher than Norwood and to me that's the priority in any OLB that would come in, although obviously the ability to cover and make plays is important. I just think taking an all-around guy is a little too cute.

Love the Rutgers info as always Josh, definitely a guy I'll keep my eye on.

thetedginnshow
03-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't really like Kindle as a person, but he's supremely talented. His problem is that he can really only go forward, but he goes forward faster than any other 3-4 OLB in this draft. He's not the smartest, but as long as he doesn't have off-field troubles, he could post double digit sacks for us every year. I actually think Hughes and Gibson have better coverage abilities and play in space better, which is why I have them ranked higher, but Kindle is dynamic. His explosiveness from a stationary position is unreal. And really, he wasn't that inconsistent. Sometimes people say guys are inconsistent because they're not jumping off the screen, but really, he was just getting consumed by blockers. Moving him to DE, in my mind, was a terrible idea by Texas. He still had a ridiculous number of TFL's, but you saw less of him because just doesn't have much of a pass rush repertoire and his functional strength isn't really impressive enough to overwhelm them. But as a 3-4 OLB he could be pretty special... provided he gets into the right situation (and yeah, I doubt he makes it to our pick).

As for Gibson, his frame is about the same as Hughes. One thing I love about Hughes though is that he's got a thicker base, which Gibson doesn't really have. Really though, it just allows him to be more fluid, because he's very strong (I believe he posted something like 32 reps at the bench as proof). He's said he always felt like a linebacker at heart, so I think Ohio State had just miscast him a bit. It's funny though. Going back to when Gholston was around, he was always someone watching the games in person and on TV where I never really saw him jump off the screen, and I was surprised when I saw his stats and absolutely dumbfounded when I saw where he was projected to go. As for Gibson, I was always surprised that his numbers weren't better, because save for the Rose Bowl (but I think that's because I was at the game), he always jumped out at me. Really, I thought he'd be projected higher than Heyward, though I love him too. Gibson really is great in space though. I don't like his body structure though, it seems a little top heavy and short for my liking, and I think that can kind of affect his rush around the edge, but he's nasty. He's really the exact opposite of Gholston. Not really much of a freak, smart, nasty, great work ethic, never quits, great in space, and would love to stand up. Oh and he was born where I was born.

And as a side-note, he only declared for the draft because his mother recently got sick and he wants to pay the medical bills. He said he'd come back to win a NC had Tressel asked him to, but Jim gave him his blessing.

With Norwood, I've always liked him. He has the same birthday as me. I really like his pass rush ability. I think he's destined to be successful. I guess I'm just tempering my interest in him because I don't think we're looking at him.

Worilds I haven't seen enough of to make an educated decision but I'm pretty sure he's just kind of average. I like Galette for some reason and DTN is a pretty bad dude. They were a bad defense though so his numbers might be a bit skewed.

thetedginnshow
03-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh and I've re-thought what I think about the Safeties. I looked over some things and now I'm down with Earl Thomas. Pretty sure he won't be around for us, but still. Less high about Burnett and Asante now, and I think Kurt Coleman would be a real good late round option.

Also, I've completely changed my stance on the runningbacks. Before I thought it was essential we acquired someone with a plethora of skills, but having signed LDT, we really don't need to anymore. Now I would see a greater emphasis on speed.

timewaster
03-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Kris Jenkins cant stay healthy. Ellis is how old? Douglas is gone.

Pouha played very well at DT last year. The other rotational players did too.
Doesnt hide the fact we are old on the d-line.

BPA for the first. Take the best kid you can turn into someone like Ellis at least.
Need to get younger and fast IMO.

A slot WR which is a major need can be found later i think. Or retain Leon and put him in the slot.

derza222
03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Apparently Henry Ellard was at Arrelious Benn's workout recently. Benn supposedly did pretty well. Obviously a physical specimen but not sure he's got the production that the FO seems to look for in drafts...though he was better prior to this year. He does have the cold weather thing going for him and they seem to love Big 10 guys so that could be a perk.

Overall don't think it happens but we'll see, he's an interesting guy late round 1 since he was supposed to be elite prior to this season. Most of the time those guys flamed out for a reason but sometimes teams hit it big. Not sure that's the kind of risk this team likes to take in round 1 but I guess time will tell. Round 2 would obviously be a lot better if he falls, which I think is possible but probably only in a trade down from 29/trade up from 61 scenario.

thetedginnshow
03-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Since I'm on break, in the next couple of days I'll post some elaborate draft stuff.

Hurricanes25
03-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Im bored so I created some Jets mocks. I would be happy with any 3 of them. I just want to get your thoughts.

1. Jared Odrick DE/Penn State
2. Eric Norwood OLB/South Carolina
4. Dezmon Briscoe WR/Kansas
5. Reggie Stephens G/Iowa State
6. Sam Young OT/Notre Dame
7. Sam Shields CB/Miami

1. Jerry Hughes OLB/TCU
2. Tyson Alualu DE/California
4. Ciron Black OT/LSU
5. Walter McFadden CB/Auburn
6. Corey Peters DE/Kentucky
7. Robert Johnson S/Utah

1. Demaryius Thomas WR/Gerogia Tech
2. Morgan Burnett S/Georgia Tech
4. Brandon Deaderick DE/Alabama
5. George Selvie OLB/South Florida
6. Dace Richardson G/Iowa
7. Dedrick Epps TE/Miami

thetedginnshow
03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
The third one probably addresses our needs the best.

msolimani
04-01-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm liking #3 the best but I'd be happy with any of those. I'm starting to like the idea of Demaryius Thomas more and more as the draft nears. He'd be great insurance/motivation for Braylon and his ankle injury just might be enough for him to drop to us.

Hughes would be a great natural pass rusher for us. I'm still trying to figure out where his draft stock is at....I could see him going anywhere in the 20's or possibly dropping into the 2nd round.

gsorace
04-01-2010, 08:26 PM
1. Jared Odrick DE/Penn State
2. Eric Norwood OLB/South Carolina
4. Dezmon Briscoe WR/Kansas
5. Reggie Stephens G/Iowa State
6. Sam Young OT/Notre Dame
7. Sam Shields CB/Miami

Sign me up.

thetedginnshow
04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Since I'm on break, in the next couple of days I'll post some elaborate draft stuff.

Actually, I've decided to just do this closer to the draft.

derza222
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Lets get some draft discussion going guys, it's just two weeks away!!

I'm going to try to get a little game-ish thing started, have somebody throw out a name and the next poster reply with how they'd feel about drafting said player and then have them throw out a name that hasn't been said...or something like that. Doesn't have to be too formal, and if you have an opinion on somebody but another poster already gave their opinion please give it anyway! Just trying to get something moving along...

I'll start with a name that's pretty popular with some Jets fans...Golden Tate.

msolimani
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I'll start with a name that's pretty popular with some Jets fans...Golden Tate.

Golden has been attached to us in mock drafts for months now. I personally would love this pick. Dating back to this year's college season I can remember watching him play and thinking how good of a fit he would be for us. He has great speed, is a very polished route runner, and has the best hands in the class. I hope he is around for us to get him but I fear a team like Pittsburgh or New England might grab him. He could start off as a great slot WR/return man in his rookie year and depending on what we do with Braylon could evolve his role from there.

derza222
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Golden has been attached to us in mock drafts for months now. I personally would love this pick. Dating back to this year's college season I can remember watching him play and thinking how good of a fit he would be for us. He has great speed, is a very polished route runner, and has the best hands in the class. I hope he is around for us to get him but I fear a team like Pittsburgh or New England might grab him. He could start off as a great slot WR/return man in his rookie year and depending on what we do with Braylon could evolve his role from there.

I could buy that, though I've got concerns he may not have true #1 potential. Certainly an interesting guy though, I think the pick just got boring after awhile because it was made so much. Throw out another name now maybe and then have somebody else respond to that one?

Hurricanes25
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Not in the first, but how about Mardy Gilyard in the second?

msolimani
04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I could buy that, though I've got concerns he may not have true #1 potential. Certainly an interesting guy though, I think the pick just got boring after awhile because it was made so much. Throw out another name now maybe and then have somebody else respond to that one?

Yeah I agree there might be a question mark there about Tate being a number 1 guy. Although he did look very good last year when Floyd was out for Notre Dame. I realize that's not the same as doing it in the NFL, but its all we have to go off of.

As for another potential draftee, Everson Griffen has intrigued me. At first I was hoping for Odrick to fall to us (and he still might) but I really think someone in the early 20's will grab him. I was just going over Kiper's latest mock and he has Griffen going to us at 29. What would everyone think about that?

thetedginnshow
04-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Tate really reminds me of a miniature-sized Braylon Edwards. He can do just about everything, makes some amazing catches, and drops a lot of easy ones just because the focus isn't completely there. That's why I don't really think we'll take him, but I do definitely think he has impact potential on the next level.

As for Gilyard, I'll say more about him in my rankings, but I think of him as a poor man's Santonio Holmes. He's a little older than some of the prospects so I think what we see there is pretty much what he's going to be, but he can be pretty dynamic with the ball in his hands and he's pretty clutch, which are two big pluses that I wouldn't mind on our team.

Everson I don't imagine is on our board, but I don't really like him at all. He was massively hyped up two years ago and really did nothing except lose his job. This past year, considering how USC plays their defense, his stats were pretty good, but he just isn't an impact player. He'll flash in some plays and people may overrate him if he is able to get some sacks on the board, but he's just not that good.

How about... Jahvid Best.

derza222
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Interesting throwing Best out there TTGS. I liked him a lot this past year... Don't think he makes sense unless Leon Washington gets moved for a pick. If so, Best would be a great addition to the backfield and is a versatile and explosive threat which this offense could really use. I'd like the pick, just not sure if I would at #29. Somewhere in the early second I'd like it more.

On the topic of RB's, I've been wondering if CJ Spiller could be a target in a move up. Probably not as likely now with the LT2 signing, but he's a guy who is explosive and can get it done on the ground and in the receiving game, kind of like this draft's Percy Harvin only more running oriented which is why I thought of him. Doubt it happens though. As a continuation of that thought, if we elect to move up for somebody Jacksonville is a team that could be a partner. Seems like they're willing to move down and I'd imagine the price could be a little lower, could be a good spot to target somebody to ensure that we get them. I'd like Gilyard in the second as well, think he really fits what this team could use on offense and special teams.

What about Cody?

msolimani
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm a fan of taking Gilyard in the 2nd as well. He does a lot of the same things as Tate does but I think Tate does them a little better. Gilyard might be a better pick than Tate because of the 2nd round value he presents, where we would have to take Tate with our first.

As for Best, I wouldn't really love the pick because of the durability problems. He's already too injury prone on the college level which never translates well to the pro level. I could see him as one of those talented prospects who drops because he didn't go out in a great way. I could see us going for him if we do trade Leon and pick up an extra 2nd rounder.

I would like Cody in the 2nd round. His weight issues kind of worry me, but I think Kris Jenkins would be a very good mentor since he also went through weight problems early in his career.

thetedginnshow
04-11-2010, 01:45 AM
How about... Earl Thomas.

derza222
04-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Thomas I like. I also think he's rated really high right now, and it'd be tough to move up to get him. In terms of free safeties I think he's a nice fit with his coverage abilities, but we could probably find a player who will be as productive or more productive in our scheme the second round. Lots of other players who will bring a little more physicality which I think is something aside from a ballhawk that we could use in a safety. Jimmy L is a pretty small guy as well though he is kind of physical, that's a pretty small safety duo. I do like Thomas as a player outside of the fact that he seems a little one dimensional as a safety right now, but between where his stock is and what kind of value we could get from another player in another round potentially I'm not completely sold it makes sense to go after him. If we do though I'll trust the organization and be very happy about the pick. Just not sure I see it happening.

What about Mike Iupati?

katnip
04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
would any1 else be happy if we drafted Jerry Hughes in the 1st? I don't think he'll be there late 2nd round. Liked him since i read in si magazine he was a h.s. running back. shows he's a hard worker. i don't want jason taylor

then i'd draft maybe mount cody in the 2nd round. or a guy to be a DE. is arthur jones good? or an offensive guy

msolimani
04-11-2010, 02:00 PM
What about Mike Iupati?

Iupati would be a great value pick late in the 1st. We have one of the older(and better) O-lines in the league and could use the depth in case somebody went down(knock on wood). I wouldn't mind the Iupati pick at all, because I don't think we have any glaring needs like most teams in the 1st round. If he dropped to us at 29 he would most likely be one of the BPA so there's no way I could dislike adding such a talented player. I wouldn't walk away from day 1 thinking we instantly got better on the field, but Iupati could down the road be a star and join Mangold and D'brick at the Pro Bowl.

What about Taylor Mays? He seems to be a controversial prospect in this draft and figures to go right around us....

katnip
04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
What about Taylor Mays? He seems to be a controversial prospect in this draft and figures to go right around us....

I was going to mention him. I'd love for Anthony Davis to somehow fall to us. Or for us to trade up a few spots for him. He's capable of RT i'm assuming though

derza222
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Mays isn't a guy I'm a huge fan of either. That said, I could see him being a better pro in a scheme where he's asked to do more than take away the deep ball. He certainly did some nice things at USC and I think he gets a little too much of a workout warrior rap, but I'm still not sold on him. However, he could probably be an animal if used properly and a team accentuates his strengths and if there's a scheme and team he could excel in/on I think this is one of them.

Davis I think certainly can play RT but I doubt he falls...look at Andre Smith last year. Similar concerns, great talent although not quite with the tape that Smith had. I think he'll fall a bit but not this far, certainly an intriguing prospect though and we could absolutely help at RT.

What about Kyle Wilson?

msolimani
04-11-2010, 07:26 PM
At first my thought on Mays was that I wanted no part of him. Now I'm not sure how I would feel if we got him. I would probably be intrigued to see what Rex could do with such an athletic guy back there. I think of all the players in the 2nd half of the 1st round he has the highest ceiling and lowest floor. I could see him being an All-Pro or an all out bust. I think in a system like ours he would have the best chance to reach his full potential, but still I'm not sure about him.

Kyle Wilson is hands down my favorite prospect in this draft. Before we made the deal for Cromartie I was praying he would make it to us because he would be impossible to pass up. Now that we have Cromartie we don't need him nearly as bad, but I'm still hoping there's some way that he makes it past Atlanta and Houston. IMO I would rather have him over Haden. I think right off the bat Wilson could be an outstanding slot corner, which these days is practically a starter. He would give us great depth at a crucial position and would be an excellent backup plan in case the Cromartie deal doesn't work out. Even if the right deal came about and we traded up a few spots to get him, I wouldn't mind at all.

We're almost running out of prospects here, how do we feel about Demaryius Thomas?

okay123
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Getting Santonio Holmes changes everything. There is almost no chance we take Tate, Benn, Gilyard, or Thomas now.

I'm expecting us to go mostly defense. We could probably use one more corner as I don't like anyone we have besides Revis, Cromartie, and Lowery. Kyle Wilson was mentioned before, and Devin McCourty's name has been linked to us for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if we took either of them.

We have Leonhard at one safety, and a tandem of Eric Smith and Brodney Poole at the other slot. I don't think it's a glaring need, but there is certainly room for improvement. We've already said Earl Thomas and Taylor Mays. Maybe Myron Rolle with our 6th or Reshad Jones with our 2nd?

But the most glaring holes as of now are in the front 7. We need another pass rusher opposite Pace (Bryan Thomas would still be there on 1st and 2nd down, but we need to bring the heat on 3rd). One name that hasn't been said already is Ricky Sapp.

Our defensive line is still pretty old. We haven't resigned Marques Douglas yet, which I find disturbing. Mike DeVito is the only contributor along the line who won't be at least 30 years old this season. I'd like to get Odrick, but Wooten is also an option here.

On offense, we reportedly worked out Pouncey, who could slide over to guard, and maybe could replace Faneca after this year (I'm not for this, but just an idea).

At this point, I think defensive line depth is crucial for us, and we need to take a long and hard look at Odrick, Wooten, Cody, and Cam Thomas. Another sleeper could be Linval Joseph with our 4th.

derza222
04-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I think we could take Linval Joseph, but earlier than the 4th. Wooton is an option but he's actually pretty light right now, and I don't think Odrick is going to be an option. Cam Thomas I don't love, I do think Cody is an option. Alex Carrington is a possibility in the second or third if we end up there. Arthur Jones is another option, and there are a bunch of mid-round 5-tech options.

One guy was worked out twice who I think could be an interesting option and a guy Ryan might be intrigued by is Greg Hardy. He certainly has been dominant on the field and seems fluid enough to play standing up, plus he'd like to play linebacker. Definitely an interesting risk/reward guy, I'm sure interviews and how he responded to coaching in the workouts really impacted how he'll be viewed by the organizatoin.

Definitely seems like this is going to be a defense/offensive line draft though. Really interested to see what direction they elect to go in with the first pick, one of the more intriguing drafts for the Jets in recent years.

thetedginnshow
04-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Getting Santonio Holmes changes everything. There is almost no chance we take Tate, Benn, Gilyard, or Thomas now.

I'm expecting us to go mostly defense. We could probably use one more corner as I don't like anyone we have besides Revis, Cromartie, and Lowery. Kyle Wilson was mentioned before, and Devin McCourty's name has been linked to us for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if we took either of them.

Unless we make trades to only take two or three guys, I actually expect us to take an almost even amount of offense and defense. It would probably be wise to use a couple of those early picks on defense though.

I don't really ever think Bay Bay was an option for us, but if this Holmes thing goes through I think we could safely push that idea out of contention. I do somewhat like him though. I think however that he needs to go somewhere a little more low-key where the pressure wouldn't be so high because he'll need a bit of time to completely develop.

How about... Torrell Troup.

derza222
04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Troup's an interesting guy. I know some like him as the best NT in the draft, I'll be honest I don't get UCF games so I really haven't seen any of him. That said I'd certainly like a NT and he seems to have the skill set, if the organization decides he's a guy they could see as the NT of the future then I'm all for drafting Troup. Think he'd be worth a look in the second if they really like him.

In terms of the mostly defense, with 5 picks I can't see much more than 2 being used on offense right now. Outside of linemen and maybe a TE or a RB, what's really needed?

One thing about our position that's kind of interesting is we're in an ideal spot for a team that passes on a QB in round 1 to trade up into late round 2 ahead of the Vikes and draft Tebow or McCoy. With all of the flash and having fans come out and stay till late at night I wonder if the organization will be afraid of some backlash trading out of the first round and not picking till Friday. I hope not, but it's something to think about. Plenty of fans wouldn't be happy about that and you know there will be a bunch of Jets fans there.

I'm thinking we should try to pull together a short list of players that we all think have a good chance to be our first pick. Maybe like 8-10 guys or so, perhaps even less. Obviously whether or not we move up has to be taken into account, and if a player is expected to go considerably higher than pick #29 to put them on the list they'd have to be an ideal fit and in an area where it's realistic that they'd be able to land that player. I'll throw out a few names for feedback on whether or not people think we'd be likely to take that player, all of whom we've talked about. The real question is if you've got to come up with a list of just a few guys who you think we'll pick at #29, would these players make it? Four guys who come to mind who seem like they've got a decent chance to me at least are: Devin McCourty, Terrence Cody, Taylor Mays, and Jerry Hughes.

msolimani
04-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Four guys who come to mind who seem like they've got a decent chance to me at least are: Devin McCourty, Terrence Cody, Taylor Mays, and Jerry Hughes.

Aside from Cody I think those are three legitimate options for the first round. It definitely seems like our list is starting to slim down, unless we plan on going BPA. I'm a big Hughes fan. Seeing him make it to us is somewhat of a strong possibility, in which case I think we would have to take him. A few other names I'm sure are under consideration if they make it are: Odrick(I think there's a decent chance he makes it to us), Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, and Brandon Graham. I'm aware a lot of those guys are projected to go in the late teens to early 20's but it's tough to predict what teams are looking for and where people will fall that late in the 1st. IMO one of those 4 will make it to 29 or a few spots before (in which case we trade up a few slots?) and we take them. 8 days til the draft!

derza222
04-15-2010, 12:49 PM
There's some rumors that the Browns might trade up to #1, but also rumors they may want to trade down in the first to grab Colt McCoy. Let me just say right now that it would be too funny if we trade up to #7 for a package centered around Leon Washington, Brad Smith, and some picks. Maybe like Eric Smith or Drew Coleman too.

On a more realistic note, maybe they go BPA at pick #7 and try to move up into the late first to grab McCoy and we could play lets make a deal there, recoup some of the picks we've lost.

GET LOOSE
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
There's some rumors that the Browns might trade up to #1, but also rumors they may want to trade down in the first to grab Colt McCoy. Let me just say right now that it would be too funny if we trade up to #7 for a package centered around Leon Washington, Brad Smith, and some picks. Maybe like Eric Smith or Drew Coleman too.

On a more realistic note, maybe they go BPA at pick #7 and try to move up into the late first to grab McCoy and we could play lets make a deal there, recoup some of the picks we've lost.

I've been predicting all along that we'll move up to get Berry. I honestly see rex going after the ball hawking safty its just so important in his D.

derza222
04-15-2010, 04:10 PM
That was more of a joke than anything else, I think that scenario is extremely unrealistic. Though I could see us trading out of the first round with a team who wants to pick a QB.

Predraft presser today was mildly interesting. Made it clear that defensive line and CB will both get a look at some point, although Tannenbaum noted that Ryan has a profile he looks for in DL's and has had success grooming late round/UDFA guys so they don't feel they have to draft one early. Said that they like where they're at with picks 29 and 61 and don't feel a need to move up, though we all know you have to take things this time of year with a grain of salt. Nothing else really of note.

Interesting thing from Scott's chat today was that he could see Alualu sneaking into round 1...Linval Joseph too. Wonder if they'd be options at #29. Said Alualu is at the very worst an early second rounder and that he'll get drafted a lot higher than most realize, that being the case he's not even that much of a reach at that spot. I could buy us drafting a corner early and some DL's later over reaching for Alualu, but who knows.

YotoJets007
04-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Jets should trade up no matter what. If they trade up then it has to be Earl Thomas, period.

If they shockingly traded down then it should be no less than top 6 in the 2nd round in order to land Morgan Burnett.

If Jets stayed put then they could go reach on DL like Joseph or Alualu.

It would be nice that Rams select Suh as the 1st overall pick and then trade with Jets for Clausen.

thetedginnshow
04-16-2010, 03:24 PM
It's interesting how adamant Tannenbaum was about being against trading up. If it stays true and we stick to our picks or even trade down, hopefully they still are able to make great selections.

derza222
04-16-2010, 04:02 PM
It's interesting how adamant Tannenbaum was about being against trading up. If it stays true and we stick to our picks or even trade down, hopefully they still are able to make great selections.

Honestly, I don't really buy it. He said he didn't want to trade up again in the Revis/Harris draft but when Harris was sitting there he had too...was reluctant to trade up to draft Shonn Greene but decided to also. I don't think they have one guy they feel they need to get like Sanchez or Revis, but if somebody falls who they really like they'll jump up. Plus I don't believe anything anybody says this time of year anyway.

derza222
04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Cimini made a point in his most recent draft prediction of saying that DE and S aren't premium positions in Ryan's defense and it'd be unlikely to spend first round picks on those positions or trade up to get a guy at one of those positions unless value was incredible. I'm not sure what to think of that. On one hand he had some tremendous players at those positions in Baltimore, and on the other hand this defense got away with starting Mike DeVito and Eric Smith more than once or twice with no real issues. He said that NT, OLB, and CB are really the premium positions, but Jenkins was also out half the season, Lito Sheppard was starting, and Bryan Thomas had like no sacks.

It just seems that, to me, the defense is greater than the sum of its parts. There may or may not be premium positions, but it seems like this scheme got away with not having premium players just about everywhere except ILB and ended up #1 in the league. I also think that Ryan and Pettine are able to scheme to take advantage of the talents of their players instead of fitting square pegs into round holes, so if they find a guy they like at any position they'll be able to draft him and put him in a position to succeed by tweaking the defense a bit. So any position in this scheme can have an impact guy, Ed Reed being a great example of that at a supposedly non premium position. It'll be interesting to see if he's right.

josh07039
04-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I basically just want the BPA for defense or someone who falls that shouldn't. If one of the big time O-linemen fall or maybe even Taylor Mays (Who I don't love, but cmon, hes so sexy that late). I really am leaning towards an early safety because I really don't want Eric Smith to get a tremendous amount of playing time, regardless of what anyone says about safety not being an impact position in Rex's defense. But if safety can't happen, I really just want more athletes. If we get guys that can rush the passer, we wont need to send nearly as many guys, which was a bit of a problem.

thetedginnshow
04-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Cimini made a point in his most recent draft prediction of saying that DE and S aren't premium positions in Ryan's defense and it'd be unlikely to spend first round picks on those positions or trade up to get a guy at one of those positions unless value was incredible. I'm not sure what to think of that. On one hand he had some tremendous players at those positions in Baltimore, and on the other hand this defense got away with starting Mike DeVito and Eric Smith more than once or twice with no real issues. He said that NT, OLB, and CB are really the premium positions, but Jenkins was also out half the season, Lito Sheppard was starting, and Bryan Thomas had like no sacks.

It just seems that, to me, the defense is greater than the sum of its parts. There may or may not be premium positions, but it seems like this scheme got away with not having premium players just about everywhere except ILB and ended up #1 in the league. I also think that Ryan and Pettine are able to scheme to take advantage of the talents of their players instead of fitting square pegs into round holes, so if they find a guy they like at any position they'll be able to draft him and put him in a position to succeed by tweaking the defense a bit. So any position in this scheme can have an impact guy, Ed Reed being a great example of that at a supposedly non premium position. It'll be interesting to see if he's right.

Great points! It's funny but I had thought the same thing as Cimini (probably a bad thing) having never read his article, most especially about the DE position. Granted I never really think DE is terribly important in the 3-4, as far as getting star potential there anyway. But yeah. I just imagine we'll go BPA at a position of relative need, but I would be inclined to believe that DE and Safety are two positions it's a little easier to get the guy they'd want later on in the draft, opposed to something like a skill position, rush linebacker, or starting caliber CB.

josh07039
04-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Great points! It's funny but I had thought the same thing as Cimini (probably a bad thing) having never read his article, most especially about the DE position. Granted I never really think DE is terribly important in the 3-4, as far as getting star potential there anyway. But yeah. I just imagine we'll go BPA at a position of relative need, but I would be inclined to believe that DE and Safety are two positions it's a little easier to get the guy they'd want later on in the draft, opposed to something like a skill position, rush linebacker, or starting caliber CB.Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.

derza222
04-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.

I think McCourty could make a real impact as a 3rd corner. He'd be on the field probably about half the snaps and there are some pretty good 3 WR sets out there. Not that it matters much but we'd then have 3 high level corners and 3 high level wideouts. Rex does love his cornerbacks too...and it's a nice insurance policy to have if Cromartie doesn't work out.

I would love a rush linebacker though. Don't think defensive line, unless it's an end, makes much more sense than going with a corner like McCourty. No NT is going to see a ton of the field unless Jenks gets hurt, and I don't think a DE has good value at #29. Safety like Mays would be intriguing if value matches up...I think a DE or a S is easier to get in round 2 though. Could get a decent corner or OLB also, but I think those are more premium positions that should get the focus in round 1. That all changes if Odrick or Mays is on the board though for me.

josh07039
04-17-2010, 07:59 PM
I think McCourty could make a real impact as a 3rd corner. He'd be on the field probably about half the snaps and there are some pretty good 3 WR sets out there. Not that it matters much but we'd then have 3 high level corners and 3 high level wideouts. Rex does love his cornerbacks too...and it's a nice insurance policy to have if Cromartie doesn't work out.

I would love a rush linebacker though. Don't think defensive line, unless it's an end, makes much more sense than going with a corner like McCourty. No NT is going to see a ton of the field unless Jenks gets hurt, and I don't think a DE has good value at #29. Safety like Mays would be intriguing if value matches up...I think a DE or a S is easier to get in round 2 though. Could get a decent corner or OLB also, but I think those are more premium positions that should get the focus in round 1. That all changes if Odrick or Mays is on the board though for me.Even though the defense improved a bit when Jenkins went out, I would still like to have a real successor/backup because without Jenkins the run d just wasnt as good. Im not saying this year, but we need to look for someone soon. When I said D-Line i just kinda meant in general, but obviously end is a much bigger need and easier to fill where we'll be picking. Im just hoping whoever we get is an athletic guy who can make plays.

TimD
04-17-2010, 08:00 PM
i agree. i think we should take a corner and a rush OLB with the first two picks. then we can worry about DE, OL, more secondary depth later in the draft..

also bring in a few udfa RBs and WRs

derza222
04-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Even though the defense improved a bit when Jenkins went out, I would still like to have a real successor/backup because without Jenkins the run d just wasnt as good. Im not saying this year, but we need to look for someone soon. When I said D-Line i just kinda meant in general, but obviously end is a much bigger need and easier to fill where we'll be picking. Im just hoping whoever we get is an athletic guy who can make plays.

I definitely think Jenks needs a successor. I also think that the team is gearing up for a big run this season, and blowing a first round pick on a guy who isn't going to do a ton of contributing playing behind Jenks doesn't make a ton of sense. At this very moment, I think they have to take somebody who's going to play a bunch of snaps and valuable ones at that. A defensive end, a free safety, a third corner, or a rush linebacker who can push Thomas out of snaps. There has to be some way to build and help the team this year, it just seems like the direction the team's going in now there's no way they're going to take like...Iupati to sit on the bench or Cody to sit behind Jenks. I think they want somebody who can help this year, and somebody at one of those positions could do that. Regardless of what's a premium position, I think that's what needs to be addressed this year's draft at some point.

thetedginnshow
04-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.

Well, I don't particularly think he's an impact corner, but what I was trying to say there was that it's harder to get a talented #1 or #2 corner later in the draft opposed to a position like DE. But since we're going for a nickel guy, and I hardly think we want to send Cromartie the wrong idea, I at least think a first round corner is ruled out, and I'd expect it to not happen until the third day.

But as for me, I think it makes most sense to go OLB in the first, but I'm just not sure the real first round talent for that position will be available with our pick (which, sadly, could mean another trade up). I just really think a first round DE is a waste and like I said a while ago (and I think someone just said), positions like the OL where we desperately need depth (and more than likely this year will find that out during the course of the season) but have all our starters in place just couldn't warrant a first round pick. And to me, a first round Safety would have too much pressure on him because with our current starters he'd be expected to start right away. I could still see RB being a pick though if things fall the right way.

derza222
04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I could still see RB being a pick though if things fall the right way.

I could see that as well, although if LW is still on the roster I don't think it would make any sense.

We'll see what happens, it's going to be an interesting draft. I wouldn't rule out another move up for Graham or Kindle depending on how far they slip and what we'd have to give up. Maybe Mays too. Despite Mike T saying he didn't want to trade up you have to think it's still an option. Kerry Rhodes was going to be a Jet this season a few days before he got moved.

Wonder if this whole Taylor thing is a big smokescreen, it'd be nice to avoid bringing him in. I think corner or safety have to be options though, otherwise they're kind of pidgeonholed into going OLB and I don't think that's the plan right now. Think they want to keep things flexible.

katnip
04-19-2010, 04:14 PM
is there any rumors the Jets trading up for Spiller? My brother told me this. I would do it. Only if he fell past 15 overall. I'd like to see us keep all our high picks though (rounds 1-3) and draft key defensive players

Is Chad Jones an option any1 else would like? He's raw, but has potential to me

derza222
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
is there any rumors the Jets trading up for Spiller? My brother told me this. I would do it. Only if he fell past 15 overall. I'd like to see us keep all our high picks though (rounds 1-3) and draft key defensive players

Is Chad Jones an option any1 else would like? He's raw, but has potential to me

Where'd you see that? Don't think we have the ammo, I could have bought it prior to the deal for Holmes but not so sure anymore. Unless they deal Washington I think there's no way, but he seems like the type of offensive player they'd covet. Just not sure if the need for that sort of explosive player is really there anymore.

katnip
04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Yea, I don't see it happening. Just something my brother said he heard. Probably another Jets fan where he works.

I'd be happy if the Jets grabbed Jerry Hughes round 1 without trading anything or anybody

thetedginnshow
04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
That's one of the few positions where I wouldn't really think it'd make sense trading up. Of the "need" positions, that's one of the luxuries we have in the draft, so losing a ton of picks to acquire him would seem like an awful waste. I do hate first round RBs though so I may be biased.

derza222
04-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the website thejetsblog.com. They just did a writeup on secondary players who the team has shown interest in. A lot of them make sense and quite a few of the players fit a profile that I think the team would be looking for in late round guys at CB and FS. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/04/20/player-interest-list-v2-0-secondary/#more-23996

derza222
04-22-2010, 07:51 PM
First legit possibilty for the Jets off the board with Alualu going to the Jags at 10...that one made me laugh a little.

Reach with Matthews going 12 too...good chance that a solid player slips to our spot.

Spiller going to the Bills is interesting...the D is great but he's definitely capable of making big plays against that unit. He'll need to be keyed in on.

It's been dead in this forum since last night...let's try to get some chatter going in here!!

Hurricanes25
04-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Im happy Alualu went that early. I didn't want to take him in the 1st.

Maybe we trade up for Earl Thomas?

derza222
04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Pass rushers are starting to slide some...Thomas is gone, wonder if corners start to go off the board a little more quickly. Based on the reaches there should be an opportunity to get a really, really good football player at #29.

Hurricanes25
04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
This draft is falling into our lap.......Bryant, Kindle, Hughes, Dan Williams, Odrick, McCourty...I'll be happy with any of them.

Hurricanes25
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Double Post

derza222
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
This draft is falling into our lap.......Bryant, Kindle, Hughes, Dan Williams, Odrick, McCourty...I'll be happy with any of them.

I came here to post the same thing, it's going great so far for us. That's six guys, guaranteed to have at least one of them on the board. Some great talents this far down. Could be in really good shape to trade down as well, which could be the plan. I'd guess if we wanted somebody on the board we'd move up, unless we liked more than one player enough to take at 29.

Jersey/B
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Kyle Wilson? Someone please explain. I have Revis and Cromartie locked up outside and Lowery in the slot. Kyle Wilson replaces Lowery I guess? I would've rather had Kindle. Again, someone please explain..

derza222
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Wilson does replace Lowery. Also insurance if Cromartie doesn't work out. Adds depth, keep guys fresh late in games, and gives the Jets one of the best corner trios in the league. Rex loves his corners, he's a good value there, and he adds some value as a return guy. Plus he's physical and a great fit for the scheme. You know a corner was going to get drafted somewhere, Wilson was one of the better guys in the draft and a great fit for the scheme, it's a solid pick IMO.

I would have liked Kindle also, but I still like this pick. Hope we jump up to the top of round 2 to get one of the guys who slipped out of the first unexpectedly or a nice value slips down to #61.

jmess15
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Kyle Wilson? Someone please explain. I have Revis and Cromartie locked up outside and Lowery in the slot. Kyle Wilson replaces Lowery I guess? I would've rather had Kindle. Again, someone please explain..

I too would have went Kindle, but I guess the wounds are still fresh from the Colts game and Rex ain't gonna let that happen again!

josh07039
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I am happy with Wilson, but pissed with the circumstances. Us taking a corner just shows that if the ******* Pats had taken Wilson, we could have had Mccourty. At least it redoubles my hate for the Patriots, thats always a good thing.

msolimani
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I am happy with Wilson, but pissed with the circumstances. Us taking a corner just shows that if the ******* Pats had taken Wilson, we could have had Mccourty. At least it redoubles my hate for the Patriots, thats always a good thing.

Not necessarily, we were definitely in a position to take the best player on our board. I don't know this for sure, but Wilson could have been rated higher on our board than Mccourtey. If Wilson goes to NE instead of Mccourtey, then I could definitely see us taking Kindle or Hughes. I don't think we were set on drafting a corner, I just think the right one fell to us and he happened to be highest on our board.

thetedginnshow
04-22-2010, 11:42 PM
I definitely wanted Hughes, so that was a bummer. I thought Wilson was the best corner in the class, so that's nice, but I just don't particularly think it makes sense to draft a nickel corner with a first round pick unless they plan to always be in a nickel package. He is the perfect nickel corner though and I am glad that we at least took him over who the Patriots and Dolphins took. Him being from New Jersey, it's really cool that he gets to play in his hometown, provided he was a Jets fan.

Here's hoping to someone I want with the second!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I really do like the pick though. I just would've gone in a different direction, but I can't blame them at all and obviously I don't know Rex's blitz schemes and like the ESPN analysts said, it's probably pretty telling that both Rex's team and Gregg Williams's team went CB in the first despite having the two starter spots locked up.

Another EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I like this pick. I had said it a while ago, and now I'm coming full circle on the fact that it's more likely to get a OLB later in the draft that can be developed (and DE really didn't seem like an option to me) into something special rather than a CB, and it's especially difficult to do so when looking for a man-cover guy with speed. So I'm fine. These last two days I did think Hughes wasn't going to be the pick anyway, and hopefully he isn't too beastly. On a side-note, it'd be awfully funny if we picked Eric Norwood at some point, because then a lot of things I based assumptions on would seem pretty ridiculous.

thetedginnshow
04-23-2010, 02:10 AM
gy7tDbkcqKE

jmess15
04-23-2010, 06:28 AM
I don't think we were set on drafting a corner, I just think the right one fell to us and he happened to be highest on our board.

I agree. I think Rex's best case scenario was to draft a corner if the right one was there and their draft board dictated it, and it just so happens that was the case. I personally have seen enough of Drew Coleman and the rest of cast of characters that play CB (minus Revis ofcourse) to make me like this pick a lot. Yeah we added Cromartie too which is huge, but we play Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall twice a year each, and to get to where we want to go we have to go through Peyton and Co so this just fits.

timewaster
04-23-2010, 07:43 AM
In a pre-draft interview Rex said he could find d-line value well into the third. And the player they took first would start right away in "nickle" packages and play more than one position.

He was obviously high on Wilson.

We got burned by the Welkers, Edelmans, Colts, Chargers in this league. Those passing attacks that want to dictate how the game is played today. We just helped ourselves big time. And with some insane value. Its been said that the decision to go with Haden at 7 or Wilson was decided by a coin flip. By the guy that draft Revis a few years ago.

And we no longer need to use Cotchery as a punt returner.

Kid looks like Troy Polamalu with his helmet on, and im not just talking about the hair. Love this selection.

gsorace
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Drafting for need is a recipe for failure. The front office thought Wilson was the best player available, so they took him. I like the pick.

As for Kindle: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36737155/ns/sports-player_news/

Appearing on ESPN 101 St. Louis Friday morning, Adam Schefter confirmed that Sergio Kindle fell out of round one due to medical concerns.

"Definite medical issues," Schefter reported. "I've spoken to some teams that have him off their board (entirely)." The latest rumors have Kindle possibly needing microfracture knee surgery, which would knock him out for his entire rookie year. At this point, we'd be surprised if he's drafted in round two.

josh07039
04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Not necessarily, we were definitely in a position to take the best player on our board. I don't know this for sure, but Wilson could have been rated higher on our board than Mccourtey. If Wilson goes to NE instead of Mccourtey, then I could definitely see us taking Kindle or Hughes. I don't think we were set on drafting a corner, I just think the right one fell to us and he happened to be highest on our board.From all I read and heard, Mccourty was pretty high on the Jets draft board. There were a lot of rumblings about the Jets being interested in him. Especially now with the news that Kindle has injury concerns, I think we would have taken Devin had the Pats taken Wilson.

thetedginnshow
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
From all I read and heard, Mccourty was pretty high on the Jets draft board. There were a lot of rumblings about the Jets being interested in him. Especially now with the news that Kindle has injury concerns, I think we would have taken Devin had the Pats taken Wilson.

There's also reports that we were really high on Kareem Jackson.

Hurricanes25
04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I would have loved McCourty but I think Wilson is the best corner in the draft so Im not complaining.

Any predictions for round 2?

jmess15
04-23-2010, 02:09 PM

I think OL or DL..read they like Ducasse but who knows who's gonna be left 30 odd picks from now

Crickett
04-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I would have loved McCourty but I think Wilson is the best corner in the draft so Im not complaining.

My prediction is this: I wonder how far up a fourth round pick can push you in the second round. :)

thetedginnshow
04-23-2010, 02:28 PM

I say we won't be picking in our slot this time around. I'll go with a trade up.

derza222
04-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I say we won't be picking in our slot this time around. I'll go with a trade up.

I agree. What does everybody think could get packaged besides the 4? There's a few players who could be on the block, future picks...If we make a deal with a Cover 2 type team maybe Lowery gets dealt in a move up. Leon Washington is obviously possible along with maybe Clemens or one of the younger QB's, and then the 3 older guys who got talked about. Any other thoughts?

By the way I found it interesting that Tannenbaum actually told the truth this time. Said they liked Wilson back in the Senior Bowl, said they wanted to draft a corner...funny how with all the misinformation people can think GM talk is just BS but telling the truth can throw people off as well.

gsorace
04-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Linval Joseph in round 2....make it happen Tannenbaum

GET LOOSE
04-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I think OL or DL..read they like Ducasse but who knows who's gonna be left 30 odd picks from now

Good call man. I like this kid to very big strong guy and he can play a few positions on that oline

Hurricanes25
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Ducasse is such a steal. I love the pick.

Crickett
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I guess this means that Faneca's days as a Jet are numbered. :(

Hurricanes25
04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
If we could pick up a 3rd for Faneca, Im fine with letting him go. Ducasse can step in and start right away.

josh07039
04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I would really like Faneca to stick around just one more year. I like Ducasse and think he's going to end up being really good, but I would like to keep Faneca around because he has such a big impact on the run game and he could ease Duccasse's transition into the starting lineup.

derza222
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I would really like Faneca to stick around just one more year. I like Ducasse and think he's going to end up being really good, but I would like to keep Faneca around because he has such a big impact on the run game and he could ease Duccasse's transition into the starting lineup.

This pick sums up my thoughts quite well. Honestly if I want any offensive lineman gone it's Woody, but maybe that's just me. Like that Ducasse could play RT in the future, flip Woody back inside to guard although Ducasse could be a monster guard as well.

Think a third for Faneca is expecting a bit much, it's not clear that Tannenbaum will be able to move him for anything let alone a pretty decent pick. Interesting that some really talented guys fell out of round 2 even...day 2 is going to be fun. The defensive guys Ryan goes after in the front 7 are going to be really interesting, safety too. Guess it's tough to rule out a move up into the third at this point but it seems unlikely, would be nice to pick up some extra picks for guys like BT, Clemens, etc if at all possible.

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 12:22 AM
The comparisons to Michael Roos (as a late bloomer) make me giddy. I do find it to be an odd pick in the second though, since every indication I got was that he had been slipping (though some seem to think late second was a steal for him). I like a lot of what he brings as a prospect, but I worry about his ability to recognize complicated NFL schemes and the reports of him kind of being an emotional guy (not having a short-term memory) are a bit scary. I'd like him as a project, but unless Slauson has done something amazing, if Faneca is released, I'd be awfully weary about plugging Ducasse immediately into the starting line-up. Either Callahan is going to do something genius or Ducasse wasn't showing what he was capable of at Indy or at the Senior Bowl.

Also, I find it funny that Wilson and Ducasse were our two picks. Someone could have mocked our two picks months ago.

derza222
04-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Anybody think there's a chance Ducasse plays RT with Woody moving in to guard, or is Ducasse really the only potential starter (besides Slauson, who barring something amazing as TTGS said) at LG? I'd kind of like to get Woody away from blocking edge guys, but maybe that's just me. Tannenbaum said Ducasse is starting at RT and LG so perhaps there is a chance...Also like the Ducasse pick because if he shows he can potentially play LT in the pros that's leverage in negotiations with Brick just like Wilson could provide leverage with Cro...and you have to think Tannenbaum is thinking about this stuff. The versatility and talent level combo with him is awesome.

Plenty of really talented prospects still on the board...should be fun in the fourth round. Early guess (that's bound to be wrong) is that they pop Greg Hardy. Lots of guys I like

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 01:04 AM
If we do end up releasing Faneca, does anyone expect us to take another O-Lineman later in the draft? I mean, it was a need before, and replacing a Pro Bowler with a rookie doesn't necessarily add up to me as filling the need.

It is pretty interesting though that pretty much everything has gone conventionally, which is in some ways pretty unconventional. Everything they've talked about has come to fruition. Anyone know of other prospects that are still on the board that they'd be interested in? I'm going to have to assume that eventually we're going to have to hit on at least DL, if not DL, OLB, and S.

EDIT: I just read an article that said Ducasse only gave up 17 sacks. I don't know if that was in his career or what, but that is pretty bad regardless, especially at the FCS level. I'll have faith in Callahan though, as well as our strength and conditioning coach, because Vlad clearly has to get in the weight room.

And no, I don't see him going in for Woody in the beginning. It's much harder to play RT than LG. Putting him out in space like that, IMO, would be a disaster. Better that he be stuck between the two Pro Bowlers. I imagine he can't do THAT much worse than Faneca in pass protection, can he? ...can he?

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 02:59 AM
Maybe I can get some third day picks right!

Also, there's some big names out there that I thought would be gone, like Mardy Gilyard, Thaddeus Gibson, and AOA.

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 10:14 AM
A nice 0/3 on my board. Haha. I do like the McKnight pick though. One thing I say about the RBs is most important is vision, and he along with guys like Ryan Mathews and Jahvid Best have the top vision in the class. Another big plus is that while he's had injuries, most of them have been flukes, so his best stuff might still be to come. He can do just about everything, except I don't think he has great long speed (but then again, neither did Leon coming out of college).

Young Nasty Man
04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
alright... I know I am coming in late for the draft talk considering we've touched all the bags.

Immediately we all agree, they didn't really address a lot of needs that we wanted. Thats a bit of a debby downer, yet lets look at the positives. Kyle Wilson is A) A Jersey boy B) Arguably the best corner in the draft C) A dirty hitter and great in coverage D) Great against the run. Overall, this pick is great value and will help us throw a blitz from literally every angle. The best part is QB's will be forced to make quick decisions with the speed we have away from revis island. This kid and cro are fast as 'f' and are gonna be lighting up QB's in the backfield and downfield. Great pick that everyone will love a year from now.

Ducasse. Now, he may not be the OLB that we all wanted but he is arguably one of the best gaurds in the draft. He is a big guy and yes, there are rumors they may put him at RT which I would be very pleased with giving sanchez two great young guys to buy him time. If they keep him at gaurd, we have one mean left side of a line. Call it the Great Wall of Green. 3 guys who are young and nasty off the snap of the ball. Once again, great value pick considering what as available.

The next pick I question. Joe McKnight? USC running back? Seems like an odd pick to me because we traded up and we have 3 RB's already but it seems like he can do it all. Great vision, great speed, can catch out of the backfield, and has played with marky mark before. I wonder if this means something about leon if he can do what leons job was. I don't know how to swallow this pick or what to digest out of it, but the kid was one of the best HS recruits his year and hasn't shown his talent yet.

derza222
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
I like McKnight, helps out the offense a little which I think is needed. Versatility is a plus and I'd imagine he was pretty high on their board. Oodles of upside with him. I keep looking for DL or OLB, but I think they have a bunch of guys they like there and want to improve the offense. Bet Sanchez gave a glowing report on McKnight too.

I'm actually kind of excited to see all of the UDFA's that end up coming along already. Think they'll manage to bring in some pretty solid players. It's gonna be a long wait till round 7.

Also, I cannot wait to see Kyle Wilson come on slot blitzes. You know it's happening and he's going to have some nice hits with his size/strength combo and demeanor.

Young Nasty Man
04-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I like McKnight, helps out the offense a little which I think is needed. Versatility is a plus and I'd imagine he was pretty high on their board. Oodles of upside with him. I keep looking for DL or OLB, but I think they have a bunch of guys they like there and want to improve the offense. Bet Sanchez gave a glowing report on McKnight too.

I'm actually kind of excited to see all of the UDFA's that end up coming along already. Think they'll manage to bring in some pretty solid players. It's gonna be a long wait till round 7.

Also, I cannot wait to see Kyle Wilson come on slot blitzes. You know it's happening and he's going to have some nice hits with his size/strength combo and demeanor.

and his mean dreads..... Been waiting for a guy in our secondary to have long hair

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 11:07 AM
eFssPKOT8nc

2lJ19ecQ56o

He's a fourth rounder too so there's a good chance he's going to be good.

I'm hoping we look at one of the OLBs I put up on my list though. Most of those guys are UDFAs anyway. I'm really looking for us to trade back into the draft though.

Crickett
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I wasn't a fan of the pick of Kyle Wilson when it was announced, but I've come around given the sheer volume of glowing reviews the pick has gotten from all directions. I just wonder how wise the Cromartie trade was now that the Jets have a long term answer at corner through the draft.

Vladimir Ducasse is apparently going to replace Alan Faneca as of Monday, which I'm not a fan of either. Faneca may have struggled a bit last year, but he still had a pro bowl year and I have to wonder how wise it is to meddle with arguably the best offensive line in the NFL when you're trying to make a run to the Superbowl. Faneca was going to make 7.5 million this upcoming year. But about 2/3rds of that was guaranteed, so he's getting it anyway.

Joe McKnight.... best case scenario Danny Woodhead is gone, worst case scenario Leon Washington is gone. Aaaaaaaaand Leon is gone. Awesome. :(

I get that at least two of those three picks were more than likely BPA (1st and 4th). But I'm worried that at least two of three picks are at best (2nd and 4th) lateral moves.

To me, I don't see a reason why the Jets can't wait a year to put Ducasse in the starting lineup learning from the best group in the business. He can provide depth and a long term answer to either RT or LG both of whom are aging. But apparently they can't.

Kyle Wilson I disliked at first, but it didn't take me long to come around and I'm excited to see what they're going to do with him. The more I think about it.......

He provides a corner blitz, he provides an elite nickle corner against the elite passing offenses of the NFL and he should probably go in instead of Cromartie on running downs.

Joe McKnight...... I hope this doesn't mean Leon is hitting the road. Aaaaaaaand he is. Just announced as I'm writing this. Seattle just got a bargain. :(

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
John Conner! YAY

jmess15
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
>>Seahawks acquired RB/KR Leon Washington from the Jets in exchange for the No. 138 pick in the 2010 draft. The Seahawks also received a seventh-roud pick.<<

STUPID Trade...I am so P.O'd..then we'll cut Faneca...WTF?

derza222
04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Well the offense is starting to get finalized...one thing I don't like about the Conner pick is that two roster spots will be used on fullbacks. I really like Conner though.

Looks like the draft's over. I would've liked to feel that the team improved more than I think it did, but this one seemed to be more for building towards the future than anything. Just a completely different mentality than there's been all offseason, which is strange.

I think cutting Faneca may have been more for cap relief in coming years when they want to extend some of the younger guys, but I still don't love the move for the reasons Crickett outlined. If it helps extend guys that makes it better. Wonder if they feel Slauson can start. Also had basically the exact same feelings about the Wilson pick as Crickett...didn't like it at first and then came around for the same reasons.

jmess15
04-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I think cutting Faneca may have been more for cap relief in coming years when they want to extend some of the younger guys, but I still don't love the move for the reasons Crickett outlined.

I believe they can cut him after the season and not face a cap hit as long as the new agreement hasn't been signed.

Crickett
04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I believe they can cut him after the season and not face a cap hit as long as the new agreement hasn't been signed.

ESPN is reporting he is already cut. :(

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Conner is also very good on Special Teams, so that might be a reason to keep him on the active roster even with T-Rich there.

I just think it's very strange that they didn't grab one DL guy though. I didn't think it should be a high pick like most did, but I figured SOMEONE would be taken. OLB, while we all want one, isn't a terribly big need if Taylor can do something. We just have a lot of spots tied up in OLB. Here's hoping to a guy next year! Safety might not be a big need either if Pool can stay healthy.

jmess15
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM
>>Seahawks acquired RB/KR Leon Washington from the Jets in exchange for the No. 138 pick in the 2010 draft. The Seahawks also received a seventh-roud pick.<<

STUPID Trade...I am so P.O'd..then we'll cut Faneca...WTF?

Just to clarify here, we traded our 4th, 6th, 7th and Leon for Mckight and Conner? I'm impartial to Leon and I know he may not ever be what he was but i think i'd rather have Leon and the 3 picks

derza222
04-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Maybe they don't want to take the risk...I don't like the move but besides him playing badly enough to garner it I'd like to come up with some rationale.

In the meantime, looks like there's already needs in 2011 for a defensive end and a pass rusher so that should be fun to follow...safety too.

thetedginnshow
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Maybe they don't want to take the risk...I don't like the move but besides him playing badly enough to garner it I'd like to come up with some rationale.

In the meantime, looks like there's already needs in 2011 for a defensive end and a pass rusher so that should be fun to follow...safety too.

Greg Romeus!

But honestly, I much rather have the players than Leon and the picks. Leon will be 28 next season coming off a serious injury and he wasn't a workhorse expecting a big contract (and we'd have to re-sign him next year). I really never got why people made him out to be such a special player either. He was good for us, but I think people made him out to be something better than he really was because of how unexplosive and mundane our offense used to be.

Crickett
04-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Greg Romeus!

But honestly, I much rather have the players than Leon and the picks. Leon will be 28 next season coming off a serious injury and he wasn't a workhorse expecting a big contract (and we'd have to re-sign him next year). I really never got why people made him out to be such a special player either. He was good for us, but I think people made him out to be something better than he really was because of how unexplosive and mundane our offense used to be.

I think it was because he was an explosive playmaker during a time when the Jets didn't have much in the way of explosive playmakers.

Hurricanes25
04-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Im really shocked that we haven't addressed the d-line. I thought for sure we were going to take 1 maybe 2 defensive lineman in this draft.

Crickett
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Im really shocked that we haven't addressed the d-line. I thought for sure we were going to take 1 maybe 2 defensive lineman in this draft.

I am too. I'm hoping this means that they're bringing back Marques Douglas. Or at the very least not cutting Shaun Ellis.

Young Nasty Man
04-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Greg Romeus!

God... If we get Romeus I'd die. I'd literally encave. I go to Pitt and for my sports radio show I had him come on, and he is just the man. He wasn't a football player until his senior year of high school and he is just an athletic freak. But I am PRAYING that we'd draft him next year but we have a while until then.

As for John Conner, the move will pay off once T-Rich is gone. People don't like it becuase he is a FB and it's another roster spot but oh well.

My favorite part of this draft is that there was only one pick we could've guessed and that is Vladimir Ducasse. It just shows how smoke screens are thrown all day long until the draft but overall I'd give us a B for our draft. As for trades and cuts in the last 2 days, a D.

Jersey/B
04-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Losing Faneca is gonna hurt. I thought we had at least another year with the absolute best o-line in the nfl.

derza222
04-24-2010, 03:49 PM

You'd have to imagine a bunch of UDFA defensive linemen are going to be coming in...still think a bunch of solid players are going to come along.

As for the offensive linemen, it'll be really interesting to see who starts at LG. I think cutting Faneca, as much as I didn't like it to begin with, is rough for Ducasse because people are going to expect him to come in and win the starting job because of the circumstances and how high he was selected. It'll be interesting to see how much Callahan is able to improve him. I think the best thing right now for Ducasse would be to say that Slauson and/or Turner have the edge to start.

Think you're right about Leon TTGS in terms of being loved because of how he was the only explosive player on the team. I also liked rooting for him because he seemed like an underdog and a really good person too.

Can't wait for rookie minicamps!

Hurricanes25
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Some UDFA's:

Donovan Warren- CB, Michigan
Charlie Tanner- OG, Texas
Kevin Basped- OLB, Nevada
Jason Lamb- DE, Baylor
Jeff Cumberland- TE, Illinois
Keith Buckman- OL, North Dakota State

derza222
04-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Obviously Warren is the biggest name there...think he landed in an interesting situation. Wonder if there is any chance that he actually gets a look at FS.

Mick Williams out of Pitt seems like a prototypical Rex Ryan defensive lineman from what I've read and seems like the most likely besides Warren to push for a roster spot to me. Basped and Lamb should be intriguing developmental types. I trust the coaching staff and scouts, they've certainly brought in some talent before, but I was expecting some more DL's.

EDIT: I've been reading up on Basped some (never really get a shot to watch any Nevada football) and he's really intriguing. I bet defensive coaches are excited to work with him...could be another guy on this defense who ends up being a UDFA starter. Made a mistake coming out this year but he's got to be excited to play in this defense and get some coaching from the Jets' staff.

billybeejr
05-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey, I was just wondering what you Jet's fans expectations were for the season, coming off a good postseason run and a pretty good offseason. What would be considered a disapointing number of wins?

derza222
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey, I was just wondering what you Jet's fans expectations were for the season, coming off a good postseason run and a pretty good offseason. What would be considered a disapointing number of wins?

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd say like 6 wins or lower would be a very disappointing season. Not making the playoffs is always disappointing but I wouldn't say it's exactly unexpected for me. Given there's a lot of question marks with the run game, there's a lot of hype surrounding the team right now, and the Jets have trouble stringing two good seasons together I'm kind of starting to prepare for a letdown. I'd be pretty happy stringing together a pair of playoff seasons though and seeing some development from the team's young players, any playoff run would be gravy and playing in or winning the Super Bowl would be incredibly awesome. Again, probably in the minority here though.

JETS5128
05-04-2010, 10:22 PM

No playoffs would be a huge disappointment

GET LOOSE
05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Gotta make the playoffs after all the big pickups and to justify the changes made. Letting go of TJ, Fanaca, and Leon were ballsy moves. Plus we look much better on paper it would be heartbreaking if we couldn't put it all together on the field. I expect at least a 10 win season.

BroadwayJoe10
05-04-2010, 11:36 PM

I would say that not winning the division would be disappointing, but not making the playoffs would be abysmal.

The first thing that Rex said when he came here was that he was going to change the culture; not just the culture of the team, or the locker room, or the management, but of the entire fan base as well. If this were any other team's fan base, we'd be expecting at the very least to make the playoffs, but because we are the jaded jets we tend to think the worst and prepare ourselves for a letdown.

Well, I've bought into Rex, I trust him in what he says. He says we're gonna have the number one defense again and a good running game, ****, I believe it. With the number one defense and the weapons we have, there's no way we don't make the playoffs. Thus, why not making the playoffs would be so disappointing.