PDA

View Full Version : It's Queens Day!

Addict
04-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Dear everyone but Wicket,

As you may or may not know, today is Queens Day (QD). And since I hate QD I'm staying home all day with pretty much the doors locked.

Why, you wonder? Because QD is the Dutch national excuse to go absolutely crazy. Every street with more than a single store is filled with kids playing violins, trumpets and god knows what other instruments play these days. As if htat's not enough there's orange EVERYWHERE (and I do mean everywhere, it's virtually unescapable). To complete the picture, there's adults, families and business owners selling all kinds of old stuff and food. Anything goes, from barbies who haven't been cleaned since the 80's ended to NES games, from VHS Tapes to Blu-ray disc. Now before you get the idea of some elaborate market plan or someting, this is what it looks like:
http://www.ed.nl/multimedia/archive/00719/ED_KONINGINNEDAG_41_719556h.jpg
http://www.linkelink.nl/images/Koninginnedag_Vrijmarkt.jpg

Next to this madness, there's music playing everywhere, and orange EVERYWERE. As you may or may not know our national color is Orange, has something to do with our royal family having the title 'Prince/Princess or Orange' (Orange is in France btw, not California ;) ). So there is orange everywhere. Everywhere:
http://www.osdorp.amsterdam.nl/contents/pages/142215/koninginnedag-hondje-450.jpg

So next to the incohesive markets, there's also organized events, concerts, professsional climbing walls, you name it, it's there. Here's a pic of the annual QD concert where hollands finest (not really good, but whatever) performs. These are big organized events though, this is last years QD concert on what's called museum square in Amsterdam:
http://www.buurt-online.nl/Koninginnedag.jpg

To finish it off, there's the royal family. They visit a certain town or city and just roam around in front of cameras, and they meet kids, adults, organisations (all dressed in bright orange). Anything goes. Everything goes. Our royals just go crazy for a day. All this in front of cameras of every tv networks, so even if you're staying in (as I am) Queens Day is unavoidable. Our royals by the way:
http://www.brabantsdagblad.nl/multimedia/archive/00458/6609_3042007145102__458109b.jpg
(the lady in the middle is the queen, the others are behind her walking all over the place).

Oh I forgot to mention, everybody gets drunk. In fact, everyone gets drunk on Queens Night (the night before Queens Day, :P) and since we're the nation that gave the world Heineken, Bavaria, Amstel, Hertog Jan, Dommelsch, Grolsch and countless other beers, everybody drinks like there's no tomorrow: http://www.brabantsdagblad.nl/multimedia/archive/00738/BD_C_4295531-kon_JP_738740b.jpg

So why, you may wonder. Why does an entire nation parttake in this insanity? What's the point? Well truth is there really isn't a major point. It's a day of togetherness, it's the day of national unity and ehm... yeah that's pretty much it. national unity and togetherness. We've been doing it for decades, and we'll probably be doing for decades since everybody loves it. It's a great day, it's fun to just go crazy for a day. Nothing is a problem, it's good fun and a great laugh.
In conclusion, I just thought I'd educate you kids on the national craze that my countrymen and -women are in today. Hope you got a few laughs out of it. If you ever want to go to Holland in the spring, I strongly recommend you go late april to catch Queens Day, it'll be the craziest thing you've ever seen :D. Last picture to end my OP:
http://dehondsrug.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/27/koninginnedag.jpg

also: here's the wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koninginnedag

now I'll leave you to read this enormous post, but not before I spam you with a dutch flag on a windmill (what else?)
https://foto.tntpost.nl/ul/user/contest/images/5/2/4/14524/large/1.jpg

Caddy
04-30-2009, 04:13 AM
I knew that Addict!

It's 'dress in orange' night at one of the local backpacker bars.

Addict
04-30-2009, 04:31 AM
I knew that Addict!

It's 'dress in orange' night at one of the local backpacker bars.

really? that's just silly. I'm just watching it on tv now... looks awesome as always. So many people.

Mr. Hero
04-30-2009, 04:50 AM
there's a reason I'm glad that i was born in germany. We'd be way to drunk to do stupid **** like those disorganized markets, ours would be nice neat and organized.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 07:19 AM
From http://goamsterdam.about.com/od/planatrip/a/color_orange.htm

Orange is the color of the Dutch Royal Family. The lineage of the current dynasty -- the House of Oranje-Nassau -- dates back to Willem van Oranje (William of Orange). But while the color orange has royal roots in the Netherlands, today it symbolizes a broader pride in the country and in being Dutch.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 07:57 AM
I pity you Addict, i really do

we have Oktoberfest you have....queens day

wicket
04-30-2009, 09:01 AM
And we dont even have queens day anymore. At the town where the royal parade was with the entire royal family parading through the town a guy in a car raced through the crowds, killing four and injuring way more. The entire festivities were cancelled and the flags have been put halfpole. I think an announcement naming it a day of national mourning will follow within the next couple of hours to be honoust. The whole stuff became even more speculative because the car that he drove almost crashed into the bus carrying the royal family.
Its important to say that the early signs are that this is NOT a terrorist attack. It can prolly is more comparable with one of those random shootings of a person going crazy or something, but then without guns since they are way more tough to aquire here.

I'll give some more updates during the day but thusfar my thoughts go out to the four deadly victims and the (i believe 6) people still in danger and everybody else who got hurt and all of those peoples family.

wicket
04-30-2009, 09:02 AM
I pity you Addict, i really do

we have Oktoberfest you have....queens day

i think carnaval is a better comparison to Oktoberfest. For americans, its a sort of mardi gras.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
i think carnaval is a better comparison to Oktoberfest. For americans, its a sort of mardi gras.
we also have carnival so we actually win

wicket
04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
we also have carnival so we actually win

trust me, its not the same. But yeah Oktoberfest is pretty full of win. But then again you also have laughing-churches, we dont need them. ;)

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 09:29 AM
trust me, its not the same. But yeah Oktoberfest is pretty full of win. But then again you also have laughing-churches, we dont need them. ;)
we get 2 days off just to get drunk 4 days straight, how can yours be better? :D

Hawk
04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
This sounds awesome, how come I wasn't invited?

wicket
04-30-2009, 09:34 AM
we get 2 days off just to get drunk 4 days straight, how can yours be better? :D

cuz we get an entire week of, to get drunk five days in a row and have time to recover before working again

wicket
04-30-2009, 09:35 AM
And we dont even have queens day anymore. At the town where the royal parade was with the entire royal family parading through the town a guy in a car raced through the crowds, killing four and injuring way more. The entire festivities were cancelled and the flags have been put halfpole. I think an announcement naming it a day of national mourning will follow within the next couple of hours to be honoust. The whole stuff became even more speculative because the car that he drove almost crashed into the bus carrying the royal family.
Its important to say that the early signs are that this is NOT a terrorist attack. It can prolly is more comparable with one of those random shootings of a person going crazy or something, but then without guns since they are way more tough to aquire here.

I'll give some more updates during the day but thusfar my thoughts go out to the four deadly victims and the (i believe 6) people still in danger and everybody else who got hurt and all of those peoples family.

wrong focus bump

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Mardi Gras > all

I'd post pics to prove it, but it wouldn't end well for me.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
cuz we get an entire week of, to get drunk five days in a row and have time to recover before working again
well thats oktoberfest just shorter

trkaline
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
For some reason I thought this was gonna be a homosexual holiday

Brent
04-30-2009, 10:26 AM
That sounds cool and all but in America we have The 4th of July. This involves: alcohol, bbq, explosives and any thing you can think up involving those.

Addict
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM

I was just about to post this (sorry was busy playing Total War)... pretty screwed up.

Were you gonna go somewhere? Since they cancelled everything in Rotterdam :(

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 10:31 AM
That sounds cool and all but in America we have The 4th of July. This involves: alcohol, bbq, explosives and any thing you can think up involving those.

Mardi Gras has all those things only more breasts, oh and a few beads.

wicket
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I was just about to post this (sorry was busy playing Total War)... pretty screwed up.

Were you gonna go somewhere? Since they cancelled everything in Rotterdam :(

I was gonna go for a quick beer, but couldnt do much anyway since i had to work a bit. I think Im gonna go drinking tonight but to be honoust the city isnt that sparkling at the moment. the atmosphere just isnt the same.
edit: I dont care much for QB anyway. Way to much people having fun at the same time. Way to busy and I dont care much for buying or selling crap.

the decider13
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Mardi Gras has all those things only more breasts, oh and a few beads.

Fasching in Germany is crazier...every little town has a parade where they hand out free alcohal to everyone.

nrk
04-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Pfft who needs a holiday to do that?

trkaline
04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Fasching in Germany is crazier...every little town has a parade where they hand out free alcohal to everyone.

Wowwww...When???

tjsunstein
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Pfft who needs a holiday to do that?

This post for the win.

the decider13
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Wowwww...When???

It's pretty much like Mardi Gras...they sell costumes and stuff. I think it is early Feb?

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Mardi Gras is still better. By using the beads you catch in the parades during the day, you can cash them in for "tang" that night.

Addict
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I was gonna go for a quick beer, but couldnt do much anyway since i had to work a bit. I think Im gonna go drinking tonight but to be honoust the city isnt that sparkling at the moment. the atmosphere just isnt the same.
edit: I dont care much for QB anyway. Way to much people having fun at the same time. Way to busy and I dont care much for buying or selling crap.

Yeah I used to be really busy on QD, but lately I just don't feel like going anywhere. I usually just chill out in front of the TV and look at the royals walking around doing all that dumb stuff.

It's really weird though, the guy who tried to kill the royal family comes from the same town as one of my best friends.

fischbowl
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a sweet holiday. And orange is my favourite colour

wicket
04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah I used to be really busy on QD, but lately I just don't feel like going anywhere. I usually just chill out in front of the TV and look at the royals walking around doing all that dumb stuff.

It's really weird though, the guy who tried to kill the royal family comes from the same town as one of my best friends.

there are a few things sad about it:
first that he wants to kill our royal family
secondly that hte think he can kill people on a bus by driving into the bus with a honda civic at about 30 mph (well he missed but if he would hit that would have been about the speed whit which he would hit the bus)
I missed where he was from though.
weird also how way to many people are on the streets so not that much people even know it has happened

Addict
04-30-2009, 11:23 AM
there are a few things sad about it:
first that he wants to kill our royal family
secondly that hte think he can kill people on a bus by driving into the bus with a honda civic at about 30 mph (well he missed but if he would hit that would have been about the speed whit which he would hit the bus)
I missed where he was from though.
weird also how way to many people are on the streets so not that much people even know it has happened

it was a Suzuki Swift, which is even sadder. Those cars are so cheap. If you're going kamikaze at least buy a sturdy car. Hell, steal one. If you're going for it, I at least want to see some effort.

In all, a sad day. To be honest I was so happy the guy is a white dutchman. If he was from marocco or turkey or something, it would have been disastrous.

wicket
04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
it was a Suzuki Swift, which is even sadder. Those cars are so cheap. If you're going kamikaze at least buy a sturdy car. Hell, steal one. If you're going for it, I at least want to see some effort.

In all, a sad day. To be honest I was so happy the guy is a white dutchman. If he was from marocco or turkey or something, it would have been disastrous.

sad but tru. I would prolly put like a bunch of gasoline in the trunk at least. something that would make the car explode. Now even if he would hit there would be no more then a little bump in the bus.
This is kinda like failing in suicide. If you cant even do that right you prolly had a good idea going there.
But seriously whats up with the lame attempt. Dont get me wrong Im really glad he failed but still, epic fail on the effort

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 11:43 AM
new years in germany means alcohol and u can make ur own fireworks. thats awesome

Addict
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
sad but tru. I would prolly put like a bunch of gasoline in the trunk at least. something that would make the car explode. Now even if he would hit there would be no more then a little bump in the bus.
This is kinda like failing in suicide. If you cant even do that right you prolly had a good idea going there.
But seriously whats up with the lame attempt. Dont get me wrong Im really glad he failed but still, epic fail on the effort

Exactly, if you're gonna pull something like this, at least go for the A for effort. This was a piss-poor attempt, with little to no thought to it. He could at least have spent a few minutes thinking about what he could do. I'm very very happy he failed, but if you're gonna ruin Queens Day at least put some damn effort into your actions.

Wootylicous
04-30-2009, 11:49 AM
new years in germany means alcohol and u can make ur own fireworks. thats awesome

Germany is overrated!

llH13hboNYA

Thanks to that. :D

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
apparently 4 people died in the accident

trkaline
04-30-2009, 11:52 AM

I don't mean to sound like an asshole but that's it?

Addict
04-30-2009, 11:53 AM

four dead, 5 severely wounded, total 23 victims. But those people were just in the way basically, he was aiming for the bus that held the royal family.

But it's still pretty horrible.

Addict
04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't mean to sound like an asshole but that's it?

23 people wounded by a Suzuki Swift. On a day that is supposed to celebrate our togetherness. Trying to kill our head of state.

And yes, you do sound like a ******* asshole saying that. It's like if I came online september 12th 2001 and said that 2,974 is a pretty crappy score if you take out two skyscrapers with airplanes. Empathy. Try it.

trkaline
04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
23 people wounded by a Suzuki Swift. On a day that is supposed to celebrate our togetherness. Trying to kill our head of state.

And yes, you do sound like a ******* asshole saying that. It's like if I came online september 12th 2001 and said that 2,974 is a pretty crappy score if you take out two skyscrapers with airplanes. Empathy. Try it.

Yeah I just have a different view on the term tragedy.

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:00 PM

You're comparing a guy running over people with a car to one of the biggest terrorist attacks involving two planes into two very important buildings?

trkaline
04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
People getting run over by a car happens every day..

Wootylicous
04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
A tragedy is a tragedy no matter how many people died from it.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
You're comparing a guy running over people with a car to one of the biggest terrorist attacks involving two planes into two very important buildings?
he is talking about the ratio... just because people get run over by a car everyday, its okay when a guy runs over 23 people and try to kill the head of state? jesus sometimes im wondering what u guys are thinking

Addict
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM

it was an example, thanks for paying attention. And in all fairness, he killed 4 people on a national day of celebration whilst trying to kill our head of state.

And I wasn't comparing, I was making a point on dickishness. READ.

trkaline
04-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah I guess I can see what your saying..the significance of the day on which this occurred and who the target was...at least he wasn't successful.

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
it was an example, thanks for paying attention. And in all fairness, he killed 4 people on a national day of celebration whilst trying to kill our head of state.

And I wasn't comparing, I was making a point on dickishness. READ.

Well, it doesn't matter when you say it, you still said a dickish thing. What does it matter how long after it was? Just because someone else says something dickish, means you should respond in the same way? Grow up.

Addict
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, it doesn't matter when you say it, you still said a dickish thing. What does it matter how long after it was? Just because someone else says something dickish, means you should respond in the same way? Grow up.

Christ, if I'm not mistaken, English is your native language, so how can it be you have such a hard time understanding it? Seriously, read my post again. Then quote it and say EXACTLY where I said anything that is offensive about 9/11. Go on, I'm watching.

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Christ, if I'm not mistaken, English is your native language, so how can it be you have such a hard time understanding it? Seriously, read my post again. Then quote it and say EXACTLY where I said anything that is offensive about 9/11. Go on, I'm watching.

Lol my bad sorry, I misread. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Wootylicous
Obviously someone can't read posts.

Gay Ork Wang
Lol my bad sorry, I misread. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
lol u started to freak out and ***** at him

Addict
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I was gonna say something but Wo_ot and Renji pretty much said it all.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 12:15 PM
funny that 3 non natives got it but the native speaker didnt

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
lol u started to freak out and ***** at him

Lol I'm not all that sober right now. But yeah, it sucks what happened. Doesn't matter how many died or if any, it just a damn shame what some humans do.

Addict
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
funny that 3 non natives got it but the native speaker didnt

better make that 2, since I was the one typing it ;)

Brent
04-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Go easy on him, he's from Oklahoma.

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Go easy on him, he's from Oklahoma.

I still go to school in a horse-pulled carriage, fighting indians on the way.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Native Americans are far superior to the people that live in Oklahoma

Brent
04-30-2009, 12:26 PM
That's pretty sweet. I wear a 10 gallon hat and ride a horse to school.

Because you've been there and know all about it, right?

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Only if they have cool names like my friend River Sky Eagle.

Addict
04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Only if they have cool names like my friend River Sky Eagle.

if she's a girl, than you just know she's a good lay: wet and knows the way to heaven.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
That's pretty sweet. I wear a 10 gallon hat and ride a horse to school.

Because you've been there and know all about it, right?
Im actually a Native Germasian so yes!

Brent
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Im actually a Native Germasian so yes!
My great-grandfather came to America from Germany in 1906 get 160 acres of Homestead Act land in Aberdeen, SD (still have the document) because Wilhelm II took power and he decided it was time to split.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 12:48 PM
My great-grandfather came to America from Germany in 1906 get 160 acres of Homestead Act land in Aberdeen, SD (still have the document) because Wilhelm II took power and he decided it was time to split.
u have more german genes in you than me then

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Brent that makes you..........Germerican.

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Brent that makes you..........Germerican.

Nah, if you're in Texas you are a Texan.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Don't say I didn't try to help him out of it.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Germican is better

trkaline
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Don't say I didn't try to help him out of it.

Yeah doesn't texas want to be their own country or something?

nrk
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah doesn't texas want to be their own country or something?

There was a vote lol. It failed though.

The Unseen
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
My father's side is from Germany, but that was back to somewhere in the 1800s I think. We're related to the Eisenhowers.

My mother's side is from Canada - she's still a Canadian citizen. They were originally from England and Ireland, Ireland mostly IIRC.

trkaline
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
There was a vote lol. It failed though.

As it should..if we let Texas out then California will be like " Come on, you let Texas do it." and so on and so forth..and the last thing I ******* need is a passport to go one state(country) over.

Gay Ork Wang
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
thats why china wants to keep tibet

Rjspartan
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Go America

El Peefs?????
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM

Yes, but everyone knows only two types of people come from Texas..

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/longhorn_steer_skull.jpg

and

http://www.dreamnotoftoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/simmons.jpg

Brent
04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I drive a Honda with a 49ers plate frame and I have a FSM decal.

I am pretty sure I am far from Texan.

nrk
04-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I drive a Honda with a 49ers plate frame and I have a FSM decal.

I am pretty sure I am far from Texan.

That is pretty unTexan like. Good to hear! ^_^

the decider13
04-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Hey hey hey...no reason to bring Oklahoma in to this. I was just talking about how awesome Germany was and then you attack oklahoma. No fair.