PDA

View Full Version : Anybody play...

terribletowel39
04-30-2009, 09:20 AM
....disc golf??

I've been playing it for a few years and was just curious if anybody else on here plays it.

For anybody that has no idea what I am talking about:
http://www.pdga.com/http://www.sotg.ca/variant_games/golf_basket400.jpg

The_Dude
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I play 2 - 3 rounds of disc golf a week. I LOVE disc golf!!!

As a matter of fact, the middle school that i teach at has a 6-hole "course" on its campus.

Nothing better than free entertainment on the disc golf course

terribletowel39
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I play 2 - 3 rounds of disc golf a week. I LOVE disc golf!!!

As a matter of fact, the middle school that i teach at has a 6-hole "course" on its campus.

Nothing better than free entertainment on the disc golf course
Awesome, I was hoping there was atleast ONE more person that played.

I've been thinking about expanding my courses played and venturing out. I only really play two courses right now because thats how many are in the town I live in. But I've got some plans to go on some trips to check out some of the better courses.

What do you play with?? Just curious.

Brent
04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
we choose to rent this house because it backs up to a disc golf course.

terribletowel39
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
we choose to rent this house because it backs up to a disc golf course.
So safe to assume you get out the a course every now and then??

I started playing when I lived in Dallas. Have you ever played Lake Lewisville?

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
It looks like a great deal of fun and I would totally play if there were a course near me. It looks like a sport straight out of the late 70's / early 80's.

terribletowel39
04-30-2009, 10:25 AM
It looks like a great deal of fun and I would totally play if there were a course near me. It looks like a sport straight out of the late 70's / early 80's.
It is a sport straight out of the 70's. haha and there are a few courses in Shreveport.

There is one at Clyde Fant, Stonewall, Ford Park, and there is also one out in Doyline on Lake Bistineau. The one in Doyline is supposed to be one of the better ones in Louisiana. I think my girlfriend and I are going to drive out there and play it this weekend actually.

Brent
04-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Have you ever played Lake Lewisville?
No, Coppell had a course.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
It is a sport straight out of the 70's. haha and there are a few courses in Shreveport.

There is one at Clyde Fant, Stonewall, Ford Park, and there is also one out in Doyline on Lake Bistineau. The one in Doyline is supposed to be one of the better ones in Louisiana. I think my girlfriend and I are going to drive out there and play it this weekend actually.

You are going to be that close to Bossier City this weekend?

terribletowel39
04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
You are going to be that close to Bossier City this weekend?
Yep, getting off at the Haughton/Filmore exit. Arby's FTW.

You should come out. I have some extra discs and I can teach you how to play.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I sent you a PM, we may have to get together this weekend.

The_Dude
04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I use a Champion Beast, a Skeeter, & a Shark.

I have other discs, but those are the 3 that i use.

The TwinCities Metro area has a ton of great parks.

http://www.playdg.com/ ~ an excellent resource to find courses in MN, Wisc, and other midwest states. They have downloadable score cards (i hardly ever keep score) and pictures from most of the courses.

YAYareaRB
04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Theres a forest that surrounds our mall and all around the forest are those metal things in that picture.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I use a Champion Beast, a Skeeter, & a Shark...

I couldn't use a frisbee called a Skeeter with out going "Skeet Skeet Skeet" every time I threw it LOL.

terribletowel39
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I use a Champion Beast, a Skeeter, & a Shark.

I have other discs, but those are the 3 that i use.

The TwinCities Metro area has a ton of great parks.

http://www.playdg.com/ ~ an excellent resource to find courses in MN, Wisc, and other midwest states. They have downloadable score cards (i hardly ever keep score) and pictures from most of the courses.
I use a Champion Beast as well for 90% of my shots. I'm not HUGE into the whole you need 700 disc to play a course. I regularly just use 2. And both are drivers. I use a Champion Monster for most of my short putts.

Brent
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Theres a forest that surrounds our mall and all around the forest are those metal things in that picture.
that would be a hole for disc golf

terribletowel39
04-30-2009, 11:05 AM
that would be a hole for disc golf
The course I have been playing over the last few months was one of the first like 5 built in the US and whenever it first started they were made out of huge concrete buckets, well this course still has those buckets.

It makes for an interesting game, you have to actually throw the disc INTO the bucket as opposed to THROUGH the chain basket.
It has really thrown off my chain banger game. I've learned not many people have heard of the huge concrete buckets though. Pretty interesting.

nrk
04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I haven't played in a while but it's pretty fun. My friends play quite often. I think there are 3 courses here in Norman.

The_Dude
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
The course I have been playing over the last few months was one of the first like 5 built in the US and whenever it first started they were made out of huge concrete buckets, well this course still has those buckets.

It makes for an interesting game, you have to actually throw the disc INTO the bucket as opposed to THROUGH the chain basket.
It has really thrown off my chain banger game. I've learned not many people have heard of the huge concrete buckets though. Pretty interesting.

New sig quote??? ;)

Mr. Hero
04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
My buddy's play it more than me but when I was last back home I ended up losing by one stroke the first round and tying for first the second.

tjsunstein
04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Looks like a pretty cool game. Haven't heard of it until now.

kwilk103
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
i play ladder toss at picnics

yo123
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I play about 5 times a week. Really fun, and the only thing to do in the area for free.

Wayyyyy more fun than real golf, and much less expensive.

TitleTown088
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
My roommate is a pro. He makes some bank playing. He's ranked on that site I think.

I've never gotten into it.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
My dad plays it a ton, goes to a few pro tourneys, I tag a long sometimes, I'm only ok at it I guess, and it doesn't help the local course is very beginner unfriendly.

CC.SD
04-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Don't be a sissy just play Ultimate, the game of champions.

farfromforgotten
04-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I played a few years ago at a course in Columbus or just outside of Columbus. It was a lot of fun. I had forgotten all about it. I think I'll get into it more this summer. Thanks.

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 08:29 PM

I love playing Ultimate frisbee.

The_Dude
04-30-2009, 08:57 PM
I play Ultimate with my Cross Country team once a week in the fall.

I own those middle schoolers!!!

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I own those middle schoolers!!!

Speaking of which - we have our annual Faculty vs. Students Basketball game tomorrow. I went out and bought a new Chris Paul jersey just for the game. I do two things at this game, look good and sign autographs.

dabears10
04-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Speaking of which - we have our annual Faculty vs. Students Basketball game tomorrow. I went out and bought a new Chris Paul jersey just for the game. I do two things at this game, look good and sign autographs.

Are you going to quit on your coach and lead your team to a 50 point defeat?

CJSchneider
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
This is how much I keep up with the NBA -

What are you talking about?

I know Paul plays for N.O. and I know N.O. is in Louisiana, that is the extent of my current Hornets knowledge.

Shane P. Hallam
04-30-2009, 11:04 PM
This is how much I keep up with the NBA -

What are you talking about?

I know Paul plays for N.O. and I know N.O. is in Louisiana, that is the extent of my current Hornets knowledge.

Paul got jacked up in the playoffs.

Primetime21
04-30-2009, 11:27 PM

When the NFLDC Picnic happens I will own all you in Ultimate and show some people up in frolf or what you chumps call disc golf. JBone better get planning that damn NFLDC Picnic.

CC.SD
05-01-2009, 12:40 AM
When the NFLDC Picnic happens I will own all you in Ultimate and show some people up in frolf or what you chumps call disc golf. JBone better get planning that damn NFLDC Picnic.

Haha I will take on all comers at Ultimate, I'd look forward to it. I'm a handler, and have spent the last couple years developing Jedi-like skills.

CJSchneider
05-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Haha I will take on all comers at Ultimate, I'd look forward to it. I'm a handler, and have spent the last couple years developing Jedi-like skills.

So that was you in all those cool You-tube videos.

terribletowel39
05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
I've heard it called many things but FROLF has to be one of the...uhh...hom...strangest. And I would take that challenge.

CJSchneider
05-01-2009, 03:19 PM

An update for those who care-

Faculty wins!
Mr. Schneider scored 2 points, had 2 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 2 assists and ended up sprawled out on the court diving for a ball only once this year. I'm going home to take 3 Advil, 4 Tylenol and 1 muscle relaxer.