PDA

View Full Version : 2010 DT Class

foozball
04-30-2009, 02:59 PM
early signs are that the DT class will be deep with top talent. how would you rank the following DT prospects?

Gerald McCoy
Demarcus Granger
Mount Cody
Ndamukong Suh
Vince Oghobaase

Vox Populi
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Theres some really good looking underclassmen too. Marvin Austin is a freak.

CashmoneyDrew
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
From what I've seen so far, Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh are 1a and 1b to me. I like both of them. I like Oghobaase a lot as well and think he's kind of underrated at this point, but I expect his stock to rise in the coming season. Although I hope it doesn't rise too much because I woudn't mind the Titans being able to pair him with Marks and then be able to kick out Jason Jones to LE. That would be flippin' sweet.

Halsey
04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Geno Atkins should be a first or second rounder next year. Jeff Owens was going to be a likely first day pick before tearing his knee up in the first quarter of the first game last year. If he makes a full recovery he might still be a first day pick. UGA's third DT Kade Weston might be a second day pick. Weston has good size and was a top recruit coming out of High School, but hasn't really played up to his billing so far.

princefielder28
04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
1. Gerald McCoy
2. Ndamukong Suh
3. Vince Oghobaase
4. Mount Cody
5. Demarcus Granger

That's just the ranking of the five you posted. Vox mentioned Austin, and yes the kid has some big time potential, but he has to start showing that potential before he considers going to the NFL. Arthur Jones is another beast that's worth mentioning, and Boo Robinson is my favorite NT prospect, not Cody.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I'd probably say from that list:
1-McCoy
2-Suh
3-Cody
4-Ogghobaase
5-Granger

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Arthur Jones anyone?

RealityCheck
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Is Oklahoma really that great? 6 or so possible first rounders and top 2 DTs?

Texas Homer
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
1)McCoy
2)Suh
3)Cody

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I have to wonder how fast McCoy is, because he kind of reminds me of Reggie White a little bit.

LonghornsLegend
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Sadly they are, they had 4 or 5, maybe 6 first rounders that returned to school, as well as some other guys coming out...McCoy was probably a top 10 pick this past year, but Granger is really underrated and could be an even better pro.

Solomon
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
From a post of mine a few months ago:

Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma: 6-4, 295 lbs. Explosive first step, incredibly quick off the snap and very athletic. A disruptive prescence in the backfield. Would have been a first rounder if he had come out this season. Pro comparison; Kevin Williams.

Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska: The 6-4, 305 pounder was arguably the most productive DT in college football this past season with 76 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 19 TFL and 2 ints. Suh can play the run and the pass very well. Very athletic for someone his size he returned those two interceptions for touchdowns this past season. Suh is very active and always around the ball. Probably would have been a first rounder if had come out this year as well.

Terrence Cody, Alabama: At 6-5 365 lbs Cody is a beast inside. Very strong and powerful he is far from a finished product however. Needs to lose at least 20lbs, hit the weights and add lean muscle and improve his stamina and endurance. Could be a Ted Washington type at the next level.

Vince Oghobaase, Duke: The 6-6, 310 pounder occupies multiple blockers routinely and has the motor and athleticism to make plays in the backfield as well. 51 tackles, 9 TFL and 6 sacks this past season despite having teams focus on him. A former highly touted recruit from Texas who chose to take the nondescript route and sign with a non-football powerhouse, I think he's another first rounder in 2010.

Arthur Jones, Syracuse: At about 6-4, 295 lbs Jones looks like he would be a good fit as an end in a 3-4 as well. Has a tendency to absolutely dominate in some games then disappear in others. 60 tackles and 13 TFL in 2008 after racking up 17.5 TFL as a soph in 2007. Very quick and athletic his inconsistancy needs to be worked on but he could soar up draft charts with a strong year.

Jared Odrick, Penn State: Another good fit for a 3-4, Odrick has a nice all around skill set and his progression from each year has been impressive.

Geno Atkins, Georgia: Atkins is short and can be pushed around in the run game but he's very quick and can penetrate as well as anyone not named McCoy.

Demarcus Granger, Oklahoma: Not quite the prospect as his teammate McCoy but Granger is good as well. A little bit more stout than McCoy, Granger's motor runs hot and cold though. Still very athletic for his size. OU tends to pump out some good DTs through the years.

Jeff Owens, Georgia: A little bigger and better against the run than Atkins but not quite as quick or disruptive. Coming off a season ending injury but has great physical tools.

Boo Robinson, Wake Forest: The 6-2, 325 pound fireplug was the unsung hero of the Demon Deacons strong defense this past year. In his second year as a full time starter he put up 41 tackles, 3 sacks and 2 fumbles recovered and occupied blockers so that Aaron Curry and Stanley Arnoux could fly to the ball. After Cody, he is probably the top 3-4 NT prospect for next season.

*Marvin Austin, North Carolina: One of the top prep prospects a couple years ago, Austin has shown flashes of brilliance. One of the fastest and most athletic 300 pounders I have ever seen. If he plays up to his measurables the top 10 of the draft is within his reach.

*Brian Price, UCLA: Short and stout but uses tremendous leverage and a deceptive first step to collapse the pocket and make plays in the backfield. He might not test as well as some of the others on this list but this kid just knows how to play. 14 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks this season and he's still 19 years old! Think of a poor man's Sedrick Ellis.

*Lawrence Marsh, Florida: It seems like the Gators are loaded with young talent at every position. Marsh is the best DT and really emerged this past year into a leader on the team. The 6-5, 305 pound tackle is an athletic speciman and is really starting to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaching staff who see a very bright future for him.

*Drake Nevis, LSU: This is more of a projection pick but I feel that Nevis is on the verge of a breakout year. The 6-1, 288 pounder showed promise with 5.5 TFL in a rotational role this past season and should be ready for even bigger things in 2009. The Tigers have a history of molding stout interior linemen into All-SEC performers like Anthony McFarland, Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams and Glenn Dorsey. Nevis could be next in line.

*denotes someone who will be a true underclassman for the 2010 draft (Didn't count McCoy because he'll be 4 years out of high school)

CashmoneyDrew
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM
From a post of mine a few months ago:

Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma: 6-4, 295 lbs. Explosive first step, incredibly quick off the snap and very athletic. A disruptive prescence in the backfield. Would have been a first rounder if he had come out this season. Pro comparison; Kevin Williams.

Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska: The 6-4, 305 pounder was arguably the most productive DT in college football this past season with 76 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 19 TFL and 2 ints. Suh can play the run and the pass very well. Very athletic for someone his size he returned those two interceptions for touchdowns this past season. Suh is very active and always around the ball. Probably would have been a first rounder if had come out this year as well.

Terrence Cody, Alabama: At 6-5 365 lbs Cody is a beast inside. Very strong and powerful he is far from a finished product however. Needs to lose at least 20lbs, hit the weights and add lean muscle and improve his stamina and endurance. Could be a Ted Washington type at the next level.

Vince Oghobaase, Duke: The 6-6, 310 pounder occupies multiple blockers routinely and has the motor and athleticism to make plays in the backfield as well. 51 tackles, 9 TFL and 6 sacks this past season despite having teams focus on him. A former highly touted recruit from Texas who chose to take the nondescript route and sign with a non-football powerhouse, I think he's another first rounder in 2010.

Arthur Jones, Syracuse: At about 6-4, 295 lbs Jones looks like he would be a good fit as an end in a 3-4 as well. Has a tendency to absolutely dominate in some games then disappear in others. 60 tackles and 13 TFL in 2008 after racking up 17.5 TFL as a soph in 2007. Very quick and athletic his inconsistancy needs to be worked on but he could soar up draft charts with a strong year.

Jared Odrick, Penn State: Another good fit for a 3-4, Odrick has a nice all around skill set and his progression from each year has been impressive.

Geno Atkins, Georgia: Atkins is short and can be pushed around in the run game but he's very quick and can penetrate as well as anyone not named McCoy.

Demarcus Granger, Oklahoma: Not quite the prospect as his teammate McCoy but Granger is good as well. A little bit more stout than McCoy, Granger's motor runs hot and cold though. Still very athletic for his size. OU tends to pump out some good DTs through the years.

Jeff Owens, Georgia: A little bigger and better against the run than Atkins but not quite as quick or disruptive. Coming off a season ending injury but has great physical tools.

Boo Robinson, Wake Forest: The 6-2, 325 pound fireplug was the unsung hero of the Demon Deacons strong defense this past year. In his second year as a full time starter he put up 41 tackles, 3 sacks and 2 fumbles recovered and occupied blockers so that Aaron Curry and Stanley Arnoux could fly to the ball. After Cody, he is probably the top 3-4 NT prospect for next season.

*Marvin Austin, North Carolina: One of the top prep prospects a couple years ago, Austin has shown flashes of brilliance. One of the fastest and most athletic 300 pounders I have ever seen. If he plays up to his measurables the top 10 of the draft is within his reach.

*Brian Price, UCLA: Short and stout but uses tremendous leverage and a deceptive first step to collapse the pocket and make plays in the backfield. He might not test as well as some of the others on this list but this kid just knows how to play. 14 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks this season and he's still 19 years old! Think of a poor man's Sedrick Ellis.

*Lawrence Marsh, Florida: It seems like the Gators are loaded with young talent at every position. Marsh is the best DT and really emerged this past year into a leader on the team. The 6-5, 305 pound tackle is an athletic speciman and is really starting to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaching staff who see a very bright future for him.

*Drake Nevis, LSU: This is more of a projection pick but I feel that Nevis is on the verge of a breakout year. The 6-1, 288 pounder showed promise with 5.5 TFL in a rotational role this past season and should be ready for even bigger things in 2009. The Tigers have a history of molding stout interior linemen into All-SEC performers like Anthony McFarland, Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams and Glenn Dorsey. Nevis could be next in line.

*denotes someone who will be a true underclassman for the 2010 draft (Didn't count McCoy because he'll be 4 years out of high school)

Solid write-up. But two names to add to this list:
-Dan Williams, Tennessee: 6'2 310, A little undersized. Good at penetrating and collapsing the pocket. Makes plenty of plays in the backfield. Will be playing more of a nose tackle type of role this season for Tennessee.

-Al Woods, LSU: 6'5 325, Hasn't accomplished a whole lot on the field yet, but his size and potential alone will get him drafted. If he shows improvement this season, could work himself into the mid-rounds.

PACKmanN
04-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Boo Robinson says hi.

colts_21
04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Look out for Malcolm Sheppard from Arkansas. He played UT a bit undersized last year at 277lbs and managed to pick up 7 sacks and 16TFL. He's up to 290lbs now and should shoot up drafts boards with a decent season. Think Day One pick who could get into the 2nd round with a very good season.

CC.SD
04-30-2009, 05:58 PM
2010 rocks 2009 to the bone. If Cody has any kind of endurance he will re-define Beast.

underscore
04-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Jared Odrick may play some DE this year, too, as PSU is loaded at DT but shallow at DE.

the decider13
04-30-2009, 09:06 PM

Yep...Bradford, Murry, Greshem, Williams, McCoy, Granger, Austin, Lewis. Some real good incoming freshman too.

So much awesomeness. I can't wait.

coordinator0
04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
This thread needs more Carlos Dunlap.

princefielder28
04-30-2009, 09:12 PM
This thread needs more Carlos Dunlap.

He's a DE, not DT

TitanHope
04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
This class was the sole reason I would have been fine with the Titans passing on a DT this past Draft. Despite drafting Sen'Derrick Marks, I'd love to land Vince Oghobaase. Unfortunately, I think DE will be a much greater need.

The DT rankings are gonna flux all year, and everybody is gonna have a different opinion of who is better.

Santonio10
04-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Jared Odrick is an absolute beast!

JHG722
04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Watch out for Andre Neblett from Temple. He's even better than DT Terrance Knighton, who went in the top of the 3rd to Jacksonville.

JT Jag
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm hearing that Terrence Cody has already gotten down to 350 lbs.

coordinator0
04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
He's a DE, not DT

In that case, this thread needs less coordinator0 lol. I thought the thread said DL, but I am wrong again.

Buc Baller12
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Terrance "Mount" Cody!

djp
04-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Don't forget Allen Bailey from Miami who moved inside at 6'4'' 280 lbs at 4.6. He could be a tremendous UT if he properly develops. Check these measurables

Allen Bailey 4.65 (40)
Allen Bailey 39 (vert)
Allen Bailey 405 (bench)
Allen Bailey 565 (squat)
Allen Bailey 375 (power clean)

SenorGato
05-01-2009, 12:07 AM
1. Gerald McCoy
2. Ndamukong Suh
3. Vince Oghobaase
4. Mount Cody
5. Demarcus Granger

That's just the ranking of the five you posted. Vox mentioned Austin, and yes the kid has some big time potential, but he has to start showing that potential before he considers going to the NFL. Arthur Jones is another beast that's worth mentioning, and Boo Robinson is my favorite NT prospect, not Cody.

+1 on this whole post

I hope Suh or Oghobaase is available for the Jets.

Boo Robinson = beast.

I really like Odrick from Penn State too. I can't believe theres 3 guys with this kind of size and build available in next years draft.

Dan Williams is a tall (6'3) NT prospect who might not go in the first, but I like him to develop.

jth1331
05-01-2009, 04:21 AM

Yes, which is why I chuckle at all the naysayers who say OU will falter after losing so many great players this past season.
Bradford, Gresham and McCoy would've all been 1st round picks this year, with Bradford and McCoy likely top 10 picks.
Trent Williams is a darn good OT. I'm unsure if he will get picked high in the 1st round though, but we'll see.
Granger to me seems like a 2nd rounder at best prospect, depending on how he does this year.
Don't forget the LB core of Ryan Reynolds, Keenan Clayton and Travis Lewis.
I also think Dominque Franks could develop into a 1st round talent CB. They have a lot of talent on the team, and I think people are going to be surprised at how good that defense will be.

pr0d1gy
05-01-2009, 05:13 AM
I fail to see how any UGA DT is on any top anything list, other than tops at getting blown off the ball against Tech's stupid option running game. UGA's defense is going to need to make a major impression on me this year before I start trumpeting any of these guys...except Curran who went to my HS...lol

Caddy
05-01-2009, 05:22 AM
I'm extremely interested in the progression of a lot of these guys. When all is said and done at the end of the season, I think Tampa might be in need of a penetrating defensive tackle and I'm interested to see which one of these guys could fit the bill.

eaglesalltheway
05-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Geno Atkins should be a first or second rounder next year. Jeff Owens was going to be a likely first day pick before tearing his knee up in the first quarter of the first game last year. If he makes a full recovery he might still be a first day pick. UGA's third DT Kade Weston might be a second day pick. Weston has good size and was a top recruit coming out of High School, but hasn't really played up to his billing so far.

I saw him on that 2010 prospect list i found and was wondering what his story is. I've never watched him play and I knew he must be a backup, so i was intrigued a bit.

eaglesalltheway
05-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Watch out for Andre Neblett from Temple. He's even better than DT Terrance Knighton, who went in the top of the 3rd to Jacksonville.

Another guy that intirgued me looking at next year, who I, once again, haven't seen play.

killxswitch
05-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Why the hell didn't some of these older guys declare for the draft this year? As bad as the talent was it would've meant bigger contracts for some of them.

fischbowl
05-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if outside of McCoy, Oghobaase is the next best come draft time

TACKLE
05-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Do people actually think Terrance Cody is good?

the decider13
05-01-2009, 09:04 PM

People just think Terrance Cody is big lol

Brent
05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
So, who else thinks there will be a crazy run on DTs in the first round next year?

the decider13
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
So, who else thinks there will be a crazy run on DTs in the first round next year?

The top 10 is gonna be almost all defense. Might have a QB and one O line. The rest will be D line and Berry/Mays.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM

I'm not sure why people are slotting so high. He needs to get in way better shape for the 1st round to be a serious possibility.

thebow305
05-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Check my newest player rankings.

I have the Top 10 DT's ranked for next year's class, as well as as the Top 10 for all positions.

thebow305
05-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Don't forget Allen Bailey from Miami who moved inside at 6'4'' 280 lbs at 4.6. He could be a tremendous UT if he properly develops. Check these measurables

Allen Bailey 4.65 (40)
Allen Bailey 39 (vert)
Allen Bailey 405 (bench)
Allen Bailey 565 (squat)

Agreed. I love the "Assassin" and have him ranked loosely as #6 in my new rankings for 2010 DT's based pretty much solely on potential. I think he could be MUCH higher though if he reaches that potential

marshallb
05-01-2009, 09:36 PM
The top 10 is gonna be almost all defense. Might have a QB and one O line. The rest will be D line and Berry/Mays.

I wouldn't go quite that far, at least yet. Although 2010's defense is going to be sick, the offense is no slouch either. In the top 10, I think there could possibly be 2 QBs(Bradford and Snead), 2 WRs(Bryant and Benn), 1 TE(Gresham), and while I only have Okung rated as a top 10 OT now, there very easily could be more than that. But you are right, d-line could have as many as 5 players in the top 10(Dunlap, Hardy, McCoy, Suh, and Cody(I don't think he should be, but if Tyson Jackson can go #3, Cody can go top 10)). I'd say 2 LBs(Spikes and Kindle) could go top 10, and the two S. At least that is how I see it. Next year's class is going to be sick. I think that OT is weak at the top, but has about 5 or 6 guys who could go first round, as is CB, and I'd say that RB is a bit weak(depending on how many underclassmen come out), other than that it should be one hell of a draft.

marshallb
05-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Agreed. I love the "Assassin" and have him ranked loosely as #6 in my new rankings for 2010 DT's based pretty much solely on potential. I think he could be MUCH higher though if he reaches that potential

Those #s are sick. Has Miami ever tried using him at DE or is he capable of playing it, because those are Mario Williams/Julius Peppers type measurables.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Bailey was originally a defensive end, as I recall, and I'm surprised to hear he's been moved inside.

the decider13
05-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't go quite that far, at least yet. Although 2010's defense is going to be sick, the offense is no slouch either. In the top 10, I think there could possibly be 2 QBs(Bradford and Snead), 2 WRs(Bryant and Benn), 1 TE(Gresham), and while I only have Okung rated as a top 10 OT now, there very easily could be more than that. But you are right, d-line could have as many as 5 players in the top 10(Dunlap, Hardy, McCoy, Suh, and Cody(I don't think he should be, but if Tyson Jackson can go #3, Cody can go top 10)). I'd say 2 LBs(Spikes and Kindle) could go top 10, and the two S. At least that is how I see it. Next year's class is going to be sick. I think that OT is weak at the top, but has about 5 or 6 guys who could go first round, as is CB, and I'd say that RB is a bit weak(depending on how many underclassmen come out), other than that it should be one hell of a draft.

Defense as a whole is super stacked next year. I agree that OT isn't nearly as strong as the last few years, but to be fair, they have been really strong. How the top 10 falls is all on need. If the teams at the top need D, there will be a run on D and vice versa. That seems like a rather obvious thing to say, but it is especially important next year because there is so much talent on both sides of the ball.

I figure one safety will fall, not many top 10 safeties out there, especially two in the same year. I could definately see Benn and Bryant in the top 10.

Overall though, I agree, next year will be one freakin awesome draft. Doesn't matter where you pick.

Hines
05-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Jared Odrick and Arthur Jones are two guys I want on the Steelers for 34 DEs.

Boo Robinson and Dan Williams for NT and I will be happy.

JHG722
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Another guy that intirgued me looking at next year, who I, once again, haven't seen play.

Yeah, man, come to some games, sit in the student section. It's a good time.

eaglesalltheway
05-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah, man, come to some games, sit in the student section. It's a good time.

I've got a few buddies that go to Temple, maybe i'll give them a call and see about that.I experienced my first live football game last year when Penn State played Buffalo, and that was pretty sweet, Norwood (IIRC)had that awesome TD catch, right in front of me. I'm sure a Temple game would be pretty sweet.

JHG722
05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I've got a few buddies that go to Temple, maybe i'll give them a call and see about that.I experienced my first live football game last year when Penn State played Buffalo, and that was pretty sweet, Norwood (IIRC)had that awesome TD catch, right in front of me. I'm sure a Temple game would be pretty sweet.

Buffalo didnt play State Penn last year.

etk
05-01-2009, 11:11 PM

Allen Bailey 4.65 (40)
Allen Bailey 39 (vert)
Allen Bailey 405 (bench)
Allen Bailey 565 (squat)

I'm pretty sure he's over 290 now. He weighed 287 last year.

iBoldin
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Not only is there the potential in guys like McCoy, Oghobaase, Cody, etc. But there is significant talent at the 3-4 spots as well.

Arthur Jones, Oghobaase, Jared Odrick, etc. are all going to likely project to the five-technique.

Love this class as a whole though.

eaglesalltheway
05-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Buffalo didnt play State Penn last year.

Last Season, two years ago, probably shoud've specified.

JHG722
05-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Last Season, two years ago, probably shoud've specified.

Ah. Gotcha. Thankfully you didnt see the Temple/Buffalo game. Ugh.

Mr. Hero
05-01-2009, 11:44 PM
I think Vince Oghobaase's really under-rated, he has some albert haynesworth in him with his great long frame that's massive enough to dominate at the nose but still use his quickness as well to penetrate. I'd love for the giants to draft him, Hardy or a S next year.

holt_bruce81
05-01-2009, 11:52 PM
I think Ndamukong Suh should be a few spots higher, but it's a good list regardless. No doubt Gerald McCoy is the #1 DT right now.