PDA

View Full Version : Will Mark Sanchez follow in the footsteps of Matt Ryan?

Buc Baller12
04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I am not saying he is the next Matt Ryan; could he have a similar rookie season as Ryan? Looking at the jets QB situation and no doubt Sanchez is the best QB in my opinion. Sanchez is on a solid team with a good supporting cast for him to succeed. Good stable of backs, solid receivers, and a good defense. I believe he is the most NFL ready QB out of the three QBs taken in the first. He doesn't have to come in to win games he just has to manage games during his rookie year just like Ryan did. At one point this jets time was in the hunt for a division title than they collapsed due to Favre.

toonsterwu
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Could he? Perhaps, but he is far more raw that it's hard to see him having that level of individual performance. I can see him having a Joe Flacco type season, doing just enough, but I still think it is too early from ruling Kellen Clemens out from not only winning the job, but perhaps doing well enough to hold Sanchez off this year.

Addict
04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
with just 16 college starts, I think the Jets are best off sitting him for at least half the season, and if possible more.

Nalej
04-30-2009, 06:16 PM
He has a good run game and a nice D to fall back on... but he doesn't have any receivers IMO.
Some decent ones but what happens when teams start playing 8-9 guys in the box.
Can those receivers step to the challenge? Will HE step up to the challenge?
There's only so many times you can line up L. Washington wide

CC.SD
04-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Their O-line is awesome, and time in the pocket is the #1 ingredient for successful rookie QBing. He will excel and challenge for the Pro Bowl by means of playing in New York.

Buc Baller12
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I like his game; It should translate at the next level. One thing that impresses me is this guys footwork. Throwing on the run he still throws an accurate pass. Heck I remember watching the Oregon state game were defenders were harassing him all over and he was throwing accurate passes off balance which is a +

CashmoneyDrew
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
He has a pretty solid team around him, but Keller is really his only good target on the roster right now. Cotchery is decent I guess, but he probably wouldn't hold up long as a team's #1. They need to find a veteran possesion WR through either trade or cuts for Sanchez to at least have a chance as a rookie.

CC.SD
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
He has a pretty solid team around him, but Keller is really his only good target on the roster right now. Cotchery is decent I guess, but he probably wouldn't hold up long as a team's #1. They need to find a veteran possesion WR through either trade or cuts for Sanchez to at least have a chance as a rookie.

Cotchery is underrated, I would swap Chambers for him with very little hesitation. But I admit that I really just would like to re-unite that ridiculous Wolfpack connection.

The Legend
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
with just 16 college starts, I think the Jets are best off sitting him for at least half the season, and if possible more.

Sit him the whole year! and draft Damian Williams next year to get him a familiar target.

Addict
04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Sit him the whole year! and draft Damian Williams next year to get him a familiar target.

he's a rookie... sitting him a year would only help him. Hey best-case scenario Clements does well enough to keep the Jets competitive. They could trade clements next season for a decent pick and BAM the rich get richer.

Crickett
04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
They need to find a veteran possesion WR through either trade or cuts for Sanchez to at least have a chance as a rookie.

I just saw the Steelers signed Shaun McDonald. The Steelers have Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Limas Sweed and the newly drafted Mike Wallace of 60 minutes

The Jets have Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, Dave Clowney and Brad Smith and they've added no one at WR. :(

I don't think they've even signed any UDFA WR's.

CC.SD
04-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Damian will never leave USC, we are keeping him forever.

CashmoneyDrew
04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I just saw the Steelers signed Shaun McDonald. The Steelers have Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Limas Sweed and the newly drafted Mike Wallace of 60 minutes

The Jets have Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, Dave Clowney and Brad Smith and they've added no one at WR. :(

I don't think they've even signed any UDFA WR's.

I hear Justin McCaerins is available. :D

Halsey
04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Ryan just had one of the greatest rookie seasons of any QB ever. Lots of QB's have had good supporting casts as rookies. A very small percentage of them had as good a rookie season as Ryan. QB play isn't only about supporting cast. The QB has to, ya know, play QB well. Some fans will say that the way a QB plays is all about supporting cast and nothing to do with the QB himself, but they don't understand football so whateva. Matt Ryan entered the league after spending 5 years in college and starting for 3 years. He also had a Pro Bowl WR and RB. People just want to believe there will be another Ryan because last season is fresh on their minds. That doesn't mean it's going to start happening every year.

StorminNorman
04-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Mark Sanchez is the QB that has the greatest chance at busting at this point. He was a player that tape analysis indicated was a mid first round draft pick, his charisma made him a top 5 pick. New York doesn't have a lot of weapons at wide receiver, their running game relies upon a 30 year old hold out and Sanchez was the most inexperienced QB in the draft. Sanchez is going to need some time to adjust to the NFL, but he will be forced into the game earlier than he should.

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Ryan just had one of the greatest rookie seasons of any QB ever. Lots of QB's have had good supporting casts as rookies. A very small percentage of them had as good a rookie season as Ryan. QB play isn't only about supporting cast. The QB has to, ya know, play QB well. Some fans will say that the way a QB plays is all about supporting cast and nothing to do with the QB himself, but they don't understand football so whateva. Matt Ryan entered the league after spending 5 years in college and starting for 3 years. He also had a Pro Bowl WR and RB. People just want to believe there will be another Ryan because last season is fresh on their minds. That doesn't mean it's going to start happening every year.

Correction here, he had a talented WR with very questionable hands and a career backup RB that looked very talented. Nobody thought White or Turner would have the years they had, and Ryan had a lot to do with that. We also saw how much our "poor O line play" really had to do with Vick not being able to read defenses and make quick decisions. We also saw how much Vick had to do with the success of our running game.

There will not be another Matt Ryan, ever. There may be another rookie that goes to the playoffs with solid numbers and hits a former 1st round WR for a 60+ yard TD on his first play, but nobody will ever walk into an unyielding nightmare PR, & franchise, situation and completely turn it around. At least, they won't in our lifetime. My team was in the dumps. I write this to you while wearing my busted, faded a$$, Michael Vick jersey and remembering what this franchise was 12 months ago. We were lower than the Lions are now, in every way you could be, and that is saying A LOT.

derza222
04-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I honestly think for Sanchez's sake they should sit him for his rookie year. The lack of receivers hurts and I always think it's better to have guys watch for their rookie season. The only issue is that they've already said they want him to compete for the starting job. So if he loses it to Clemens, he and the franchise will be questioned before he even sees the playing field in the regular season. Disappointed they didn't just hand it to Clemens, because unless Sanchez does better than I anticipate as a rookie it's going to go badly one way or another.

I would love to bring in a WR for Sanchez next year. Dez Bryant is a personal favorite, but I'll take any number of guys and Williams definitely works as well. They never actually draft a wideout though, so I'm not getting my hopes up :(

whatadai
04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
their running game relies upon a 30 year old hold out

Shonn Greene.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Sanchez doesn't have the same number of college starts that Matt Ryan did when he entered the league, therefore it's hard to see him performing at Ryan's level as a rookie.

It has very little to do with talent, it's the fact that Sanchez has played against fewer defenses who were gameplanned to stop him, or at least take him out of his comfort zone.

I think Ryan started for at least 3 years at BC, if not four.

Matt Sanchez and the entire Jets organization would be better served to let him sit at least a year, IMO.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Charisma is ultra important for a QB, IMO.

thetedginnshow
04-30-2009, 08:39 PM
They're not going to give him anything, so if he starts at the beginning of the year, he starts because he earned it and was a little more ready than people expected (at least of draftniks).

Crickett
04-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Shonn Greene.

Leon Washington too.

LonghornsLegend
04-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Nobody thought White or Turner would have the years they had, and Ryan had a lot to do with that.

Really? Roddy broke out his 3rd year, and he had crap at QB, it wasn't real hard to figure out that when he got somebody competent at QB that he would only get better, it's not like he came out of nowhere ya know.

There will not be another Matt Ryan, ever. There may be another rookie that goes to the playoffs with solid numbers and hits a former 1st round WR for a 60+ yard TD on his first play, but nobody will ever walk into an unyielding nightmare PR, & franchise, situation and completely turn it around. At least, they won't in our lifetime.

Ummm ok. He had a great rookie season most definately, but to say we won't see that happen again in our lifetime is shortsighted, it's not like he threw for 30 TD's and 5 INT's...He had a great ground game that took pressure off of him, and an elite WR, seasons like his don't come around every year but to say that it won't happen again in our lifetime?

He didn't really turn that team around on his own either, it started with Dimitroff calling the shots and getting some pieces into the puzzle, but we saw Flacco step in as a rookie and post numbers that were pretty similiar with far less flashy weapons on offense.

whatadai
04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Leon Washington too.
He's been looking for a big contract and he's going into a contract year. I don't think the Jets will give it to him and I don't think he'll stay after 2009 unless the Jets give it to him. He might settle for a smaller one with Greene drafted since he probably won't get the opportunity to sell himself for the next off-season. I think they drafted Greene not only because of Jones, but because of Washington. Either way, the Jets didn't see Washington or Jones as legitimate somewhat long-term options.

Crickett
04-30-2009, 08:59 PM
He's been looking for a big contract and he's going into a contract year. I don't think the Jets will give it to him and I don't think he'll stay after 2009 unless the Jets give it to him. He might settle for a smaller one with Greene drafted since he probably won't get the opportunity to sell himself for the next off-season. I think they drafted Greene not only because of Jones, but because of Washington. Either way, the Jets didn't see Washington or Jones as legitimate somewhat long-term options.

If the Jets didn't think Leon Washington was a long term option (won't say answer, but an option), why did they get a back that complemented him so well as a thunder/lightning duo?

For what they gave up to move to the top of the third round, they could have gone after Lesean McCoy. They didn't.

Brent
04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
If I'm a Jets fan, I want to see him sit at least until after their bye week.

whatadai
04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
If the Jets didn't think Leon Washington was a long term option (won't say answer, but an option), why did they get a back that complemented him so well as a thunder/lightning duo?

For what they gave up to move to the top of the third round, they could have gone after Lesean McCoy. They didn't.

Rumors said Washington was going for a Jones-Drew type of deal. The Jets probably went for Greene to complement Washington, but I think they also did it to lower Washington's contract demands.

derza222
04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Rumors said Washington was going for a Jones-Drew type of deal. The Jets probably went for Greene to complement Washington, but I think they also did it to lower Washington's contract demands.

There have also been rumors he wants in the ballpark of 4 million/year. I'm sure they signed Greene to help leverage with Washington, but long-term they compliment each other perfectly and I'd be shocked if they didn't get something done with LW before he becomes a free agent.

pr0d1gy
04-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Really? Roddy broke out his 3rd year, and he had crap at QB, it wasn't real hard to figure out that when he got somebody competent at QB that he would only get better, it's not like he came out of nowhere ya know.

Ummm ok. He had a great rookie season most definately, but to say we won't see that happen again in our lifetime is shortsighted, it's not like he threw for 30 TD's and 5 INT's...He had a great ground game that took pressure off of him, and an elite WR, seasons like his don't come around every year but to say that it won't happen again in our lifetime?

He didn't really turn that team around on his own either, it started with Dimitroff calling the shots and getting some pieces into the puzzle, but we saw Flacco step in as a rookie and post numbers that were pretty similiar with far less flashy weapons on offense.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Numbers...:rolleyes: lol

d34ng3l021
04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Matt Ryan was a 5th year senior by the time he came out of college; Sanchez started 16 games. That difference is going to be imminent during their rookie seasons.

As much as I like Sanchez's personality and charisma (which I agree are important characteristics), the change from talent-filled USC in the defense-less PAC 10 to the NFL might be too much for him to handle in his rookie season. Maybe later on he will be better/good, but expecting success in his rookie season might be hard.

I could be completely wrong though.

Staubach12
04-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm really tired of these kinds of threads. Matt Ryan is his own player. Mark Sanchez is his own player. There is no correlation between the two. A rookie coming in and playing like Matt Ryan is not common. At all. Sanchez will most likely have some trouble just like most other rookie QBs.