PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Big Ten QB and RB rankings

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I am going to be putting together a compilation thread of all the FBS and FCS conferences of quarterbacks and running backs. I have only taken 1 QB and 1 RB from each school as of now, but plan to add them after other give some input and advice. I would love some feedback and criticism. These rankings are to reflect there potential as an NFL prospect regardless of class.

Big Ten QB Rankings
1. Terelle Pryor, Ohio State, Sophomore, 6'6/235
2. Adam Weber, Minnesota, Junior, 6'3/217
3. Juice Williams, Illinois, Senior, 6'2/235
4. Ben Chappell, Indiana, Junior, 6'3/235
5. Daryll Clark, Penn State, Senior, 6'2/233
6. Mike Kafka, Northwestern, Senior, 6'3/215
7. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa, Junior, 6'4/225
8. Kirk Cousins, Michigan State, Sophomore, 6'3/202
9. Tate Forcier, Michigan, Freshmen, 6'1/187
10. Dustin Sherer, Wisconsin, Senior, 6'4/217
11. Joey Elliott, Purdue, Senior, 6'2/216

Big Ten RB Rankings
1. Evan Royster, Penn State, Junior, 6'1/209
2. John Clay, Wisconsin, R-Sophomore, 6'2/247
3. Brandon Minor, Michigan, Senior, 6'1/216
4. Dan Herron, Ohio State, R-Sophomore, 5'10/193
5. Jewel Hampton, Iowa, Sophomore, 5'9/200
6. Jaceyn Taylor, Purdue, Senior, 5'10/180
7. Jason Ford, Illinois, Sophomore, 6'0/230
8. DeLeon Eskridge, Minnesota, Sophomore, 5'11/189
9. Andre Anderson, Michigan State, Sophomore, 5'9/190
10. Bryan Payton, Indiana, Senior, 5'9/207
11. Stephen Simmons, Northwestern, Junior, 5'8/175

Sniper
04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
1. Tate Forcier, Michigan, Freshmen, 6'1/187

Fixed it for you.

Sniper
04-30-2009, 11:53 PM
If you're going to go purely on potential, there's no way in hell that Terrelle Pryor can't be #1. The guy craps out potential. I don't know if he'll reach it, but he's got so much ability.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-01-2009, 12:21 AM
If you're going to go purely on potential, there's no way in hell that Terrelle Pryor can't be #1. The guy craps out potential. I don't know if he'll reach it, but he's got so much ability.

I agree that he can make it to #1, but he has a good amount of development left before I can shot him right to the top.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Fixed it for you.

I didn't know what to do with Forcier. Again with some more time to develop he can move up. What are his chances to start over Sheridan this year?

Sniper
05-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I didn't know what to do with Forcier. Again with some more time to develop he can move up. What are his chances to start over Sheridan this year?

100%. He's the starter.

Monomach
05-01-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm so glad the Bears traded for Cutler. That finally shut up the idiots on the Bears.com message boards who kept whining that we needed to draft Juice freaking Williams in the first round in 2010.

Texas Homer
05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I think Pryor needs to be #1 on the QB list and Clay needs to be #2 on the RB list.

CroomDawgs
05-01-2009, 12:56 AM
if this is potential then TP needs to be number 1. Daryl Clark really doesn't have a future in the NFL.

And you might as well put Dustin Sherer at the bottom. Wisconsin QBs do jack after college ball

Michigan
05-01-2009, 06:01 AM
I don't think the OP has ever seen Brandon Minor play...

eaglesalltheway
05-01-2009, 06:22 AM
I agree 100% with where you have Royster, I think he will be a first round RB and a great pro. Clark is in the same type of boat as michael Robinson was, he may not be able to play QB in the NFL. Now he has much better passing tools than Robinson did, but I just don't see much success at QB for Clark after college.

Pretty solid list, I'd have Clay and Minor as 2/3 on the RB list, but overall, not too bad.

BerninWI
05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
How the heck do you have Boom Herron over Johnny Clay? Because he goes to a more prestigious school?

OSU wanted John Clay pretty badly, he was a much higher rated player than Boom coming out of high school (#4 RB on Rivals to Herron's #18), and a much more productive player last season (884 yds/5.7 ypc v. 439/4.8).

It can't be that Boom Herron has better NFL potential. Clay has the exact same measurables (237, 4.49) as Beanie Wells did. Herron is slower (4.52) while being about 40 pounds lighter (in the 190's).

And you might as well put Dustin Sherer at the bottom. Wisconsin QBs do jack after college ball

In all honesty, they typically don't do much in college ball either. But there's not anything at Wisconsin preventing them from being good QB's. It's just been that Wisconsin typically hasn't recruited the position well. But they turned things around in that area the last two cycles snaring a 4-star in Curt Phillips, and Jon Budmayr who made a bunch of top 200 overall prospects lists and had offers from Notre Dame, in-state Illinois, and Nebraska. If one of those two players earns the starting job (Phillips actually has the inside track right now), they should fit in at #5 on that list. Phillips is like a poor man's Tebow. Great mobility, adequate arm, very high f-ball IQ, extremely competitive.

JHG722
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Kafka over Chappell

Sniper
05-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Dan Herron ahead of John Clay and Brandon Minor is absurd right now.

CroomDawgs
05-01-2009, 02:56 PM
i must say after Royster, Clay, minor, and Herron, there is a significant drop off in the running backs.

Race for the Heisman
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
QB:

I don't know about Chappell, but I would take your 1 through 4 and flip them. Juice, if he puts it all together next year, would be like Stafford revisited without SEC excuses. I'm a big fan of Weber and I don't know if Darryl Clark really has more potential than he does. I think Clark was the more the product of a great collegiate line and good skill position players than any of the other four. I also don't buy Kafka at six (still has a long way to go as a passer), and I think Cousins should be a bit higher.

RB:

Honestly, I don't know too much about all of them, much less so than I know about quarterbacks, but I think Clay should be one and Royster two. Minor isn't special. Stephfon Green may be the third best overall; I don't know given I haven't seen that much and he hasn't played that much. I'm not high on Herron's potential. The people over at BuckeyePlanet ripped me a new asshole for suggesting he wasn't the second coming of god, but I think he's a third round pick, tops, probably a fifth, sixth, or seventh. He reminds me of James Davis. I also think Brandon Saine, as much as he sucked last year, could belong on that list over some of the other guys.

EDIT: I just saw your note about one per school, but the ideas put forth still stand.

Mr. Hero
05-01-2009, 04:20 PM
All I got from this article was that big ten doesn't have SEC speed.

Sniper
05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
The people over at BuckeyePlanet ripped me a new asshole for suggesting he wasn't the second coming of god

Arguably the most homerish message board ever.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2009, 05:40 PM
If we are looking pro potential Stepfhon Green should be on that list. He has the game breaking speed and underrated power. Evan Royster though is my favorite player in college football right now. Isn't the most physically gifted but probably the most natural runner in the college game right now.

princefielder28
05-01-2009, 05:45 PM

You may want to apologize

http://www.talkingnfl.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/media_day44.jpg

ToldLikeItIs
05-02-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure what separates John Clay and Jewell Hampton be perfectly honest. Similar stats, although Clay averaged .6 yards more per carry, and had a few more touchdowns, but he plays in a deep Wisconsin backfield, and will likely split plenty of carries with Zach Brown and Erik Smith.

Whereas Jewell Hampton is the man right now in Iowa City.

I could throw injury prone out there too, in regards to Clay, as well as inability to accurately comprehend a playbook, but anything above #4 for him is questionable.

Herron, more explosive offense, very shifty, durable.
Royster, big, powerful, run-first team, no injuries, reliable WR out of backfield.
Brandon Minor, experience, speed, agility, solid stiff arm, injury prone.

I'll go ahead and put Clay #4, and Hampton #5, althought Hampton's numbers will be impressive this year due to sheer reps.

underscore
05-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Royster has yet to show he can be a workhorse. He only averaged 15 carries per game last year. I'm sure the NFL wants to see him carry a load.

Sniper
05-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure what separates John Clay and Jewell Hampton be perfectly honest. Similar stats, although Clay averaged .6 yards more per carry, and had a few more touchdowns, but he plays in a deep Wisconsin backfield, and will likely split plenty of carries with Zach Brown and Erik Smith.

Jewel Hampton put up all of his stats against bad competition. Hampton put up roughly 25% of his yards and nearly half of his touchdowns against Indiana, the Big 10's worst team. 5 of Hampton's seven TDs came against teams ranked in the bottom 4 in Big 10 rushing defense, and the other two were against Maine.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
If Deleon Eskridge is 5th right now the B10 must have a severe lack of runningbacks. He's probably 50/50 to start right now with Duane Bennett (J)having an equal shot. Either way, Kevin Whaley (F) appears to be the speed back, so either guy will split carries.

keylime_5
05-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Pryor and Juice have more potential than all the other QBs on that list combined. Those two are the only NFL prospects. Well I won't rule out Forcier since he hasnt' played a snap yet, but he's small.

Michigan
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Haha I just noticed Tate Forcier is listed at 6'1 187. I'd be surprised if he was even 5'11.

CroomDawgs
05-02-2009, 10:58 AM
You may want to apologize

http://www.talkingnfl.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/media_day44.jpg

LOL I think not. I heard the great John Stocco plays in Italy now

bearsfan_51
05-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Pryor and Juice have more potential than all the other QBs on that list combined. Those two are the only NFL prospects. Well I won't rule out Forcier since he hasnt' played a snap yet, but he's small.

Adam Weber can play in the NFL. Not saying he will necessarily, but he has the ability.

Juice Williams sucks. Enough with the hype, he's accomplished nothing.

GB12
05-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Whereas Jewell Hampton is the man right now in Iowa City.

I could throw injury prone out there too, in regards to Clay, as well as inability to accurately comprehend a playbook, but anything above #4 for him is questionable.

Herron, more explosive offense, very shifty, durable.
Royster, big, powerful, run-first team, no injuries, reliable WR out of backfield.
Brandon Minor, experience, speed, agility, solid stiff arm, injury prone.

I'll go ahead and put Clay #4, and Hampton #5, althought Hampton's numbers will be impressive this year due to sheer reps.
Would you be saying the same thing if you weren't completely ******* wrong and Clay actually did go to Iowa?

I don't think so. You'd say he's easily #1. Jewel Hampton doesn't have **** on John Clay.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I have updated the rankings to try and reflect the opinion of the posters who have replies.

Dam8610
05-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Isn't Jaycen Taylor coming back for Purdue? I'm pretty sure he's better than a lot of that list.

Vox Populi
05-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I'd take Minor over Clay for sure.

Ozzy
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Again some of these guys I have never even seen play, so where you getting the ranking from? No Kellen Lewis at all? That seems very odd to me. Pretty weak list for the Big Ten though, Adam Weber is the 2nd best, I am a Gopher fan and I even think that is kind of sad.

Unless he is not on the team anymore or something, there is no way you do not include Stephfon Green if you are talking potential. He is easily top 4 on this list without question. I agree with Clay being that high, but you are forgetting about Dufrene on Illinois, he will be better than Ford I think. Also forget about Bennett on Minnesota, if he comes back from injury he can easily be top 5. Minor should be a beast on Michigan as well. Brandon Saine cannot forget as well, he could be a monster for Ohio State.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Kellen Lewis was kicked off of Indiana's team.

etk
05-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Brandon Saine has more NFL potential than Boom Herron (imo). I thought he looked great as a freshman but disappeared last year.

I thought Ricky Stanzi was looked upon higher than that. I'm no expert on the guy but I don't see Told complaining so he must REALLY suck.

underscore
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
"Unless he is not on the team anymore or something, there is no way you do not include Stephfon Green if you are talking potential."

He's fast and can beat about anyone in the open field. However, at the LOS, he goes down too easily and can't fight though traffic. Granted, he'll only be a soph in the fall, but he's got a LONG way to go. I'm not saying this time next year he could be in a list like this, but for now, nope.

He's got himself in a bit of legal trouble (http://www.mcall.com/sports/all-pennstatesearch-0504cn,0,6154801.story) for the time being, too.

Cicero
05-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Brandon Saine has more NFL potential than Boom Herron (imo). I thought he looked great as a freshman but disappeared last year.

I thought Ricky Stanzi was looked upon higher than that. I'm no expert on the guy but I don't see Told complaining so he must REALLY suck.

You beat me to it. Brandon Saine ran a 4.35 if I remember correctly.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Rankings updated again.

underscore
05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
He's got himself in a bit of legal trouble (http://www.mcall.com/sports/all-pennstatesearch-0504cn,0,6154801.story) for the time being, too.

For the record, it appears he's in the clear.

Santonio10
05-07-2009, 01:43 AM
You guys are overrating Juice Williams way too much and underrating Darryl Clark too much. Juice has done nothing to prove he is NFL ready. His accuracy is dreadful. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I agree that Clark isn't the greatest pro prospect in the world but the Michael Robinson comparison is a little off. DC has much better accuracy than Robinson and will throw the ball before running, whereas Robinson would run at the first sign of trouble. I think Clark will be a solid backup QB in the NFL at the very worst. Juice is a poor mans Pat White and is a late round pick at best.

underscore
05-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Robinson certainly wasn't the best passer in the world. However, he had 3 freshmen WRs to throw to his senior year.

Last year, Clark had those same 3 WRs...who were all seniors.

CroomDawgs
05-07-2009, 01:10 PM
You guys are overrating Juice Williams way too much and underrating Darryl Clark too much. Juice has done nothing to prove he is NFL ready. His accuracy is dreadful. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I agree that Clark isn't the greatest pro prospect in the world but the Michael Robinson comparison is a little off. DC has much better accuracy than Robinson and will throw the ball before running, whereas Robinson would run at the first sign of trouble. I think Clark will be a solid backup QB in the NFL at the very worst. Juice is a poor mans Pat White and is a late round pick at best.

Juice will go higher than Clark because he'll be able to play other positions than QB. Clark I don't see as anything other than a QB prospect at the next level and not a very good one either. Obviously better than Juice but his athleticism will allow him to try new positions. Also If Juice ever leanred any accuracy he would be a decent prospect because he does have terrific arm strength.

ToldLikeItIs
05-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Stanzi is a smart quarterback with good size and a little athletic ability.

Top 5 in the Big Ten, you won't see me calling him a great NFL prospect by any means.

Etk, are you dissapointed Bulaga is going to be drafted higher than any Cane in the last decade? I'm sorry.

ToldLikeItIs
05-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Bern,

Clay is not as fast as claimed to be, borderline ********, and one of the most upright runners one will ever see.

rainman
05-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Bern,

Clay is not as fast as claimed to be, borderline ********, and one of the most upright runners one will ever see.
Ha weren't you the guy who swore up and down that John Clay was going to the Hawkeyes? Said he was gonna be an awesome college player?

Just because he went to Wisconsin, he now is slow and such an upright runner that he's worthless?

ToldLikeItIs
05-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I was that guy.

I've seen him play, heard about his problems not only in the classroom, but also on the field with learning plays, and have come to the conclusion that yes he is overrated, runs upright, and is probably better suited for the linebacker position, considering he can't put his weight down.