PDA

View Full Version : Of these "franchise" quarterbacks who is the least likely to win a superbowl?

Chris777
05-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Whether they make the Super Bowl is irrelevant, I am talking about going all the way. Also when i say win i mean as a starter. Factor in age of quarterback, division, Owner's personality (winning/apathetic), and any other factors as well.

Give reasons for why they might or might not win Superbowl

Drew Brees- Excellent offense, and with a commitment to improve defense he still has a another good couple of years to make a run

Carson Palmer- Starting to think he's at the bottom of the barrel with a shot to even make a superbowl, already 30, hasn't even grazed postseason experience, but had a nice draft and team could turn around quickly

Philip Rivers- Still young, with A.J Smith team will have superior talent, but coaching remains an issue, if they couldn't get it done in 08, will they ever? The NHL equivalent of the Chargers are the Sharks

Jay Cutler- If Cutler was quarterback for the Bears in 07 I'm 90 % sure they would've beat the Colts, only concern is if his full potential has been reached, right now he's only a bootleg Brett Favre and that's not a good thing.

Donovan Mcnabb- Like the Chargers their window has been opening and closing for the past couple years, already made the Super Bowl, but with the recent draft, and past playoff run, i could see him pull something off.

Tony Romo- IMO will not win a Super Bowl, team is talented like the Chargers, will keep team competitive but don't think he has it in him to lead this team.

Aaron Rodgers- Young, and team around him continues to improve, excellent shot

Matt Hasselbeck- Probably the worst choice because of his age but plays in a At the moment weak division, and with a 37 year old Warner taking the Cards to a couple seconds of a super bowl victory, anything can happen.

*Didn't include rookies like Ryan or Flacco, still early to consider them franchise guys, didn't include Pennington since apparently he's already the incumbent at Miami

thanks is advance

eaglesalltheway
05-01-2009, 07:05 AM
For me, it was between, Palmer, Brees and Hasselbeck, but I didn't see Hasselbeck until I voted for Brees, because of age, not because I don't like him. I voted for Brees, but would like to change it to Hasselbeck.

LizardState
05-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Mine is the only Aaron Rodgers vote b/c I remembered how disappointing the Pack was last yr. Teams with a dominant defense & the clock-controlling, pound the rock running game win SBs.

I'd like to change it to Hasselbeck too now that I think about it -- Jones is not a controlling running attack & they haven't had that really in Seattle since Shaun Alexander left.

killxswitch
05-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Hasselbeck. He's getting older and the Seahawks aren't good enough to make a SB run right now. And who knows what Jim Mora is going to do to that team.

Yatta!
05-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Hasselbeck will be gone by the time Seattle turns the team around, they were already thinking about drafting his replacement. Palmer is starting to enter that zone but only because the Bengals are constantly rubbish.

Malaka
05-01-2009, 08:47 AM
It's easily Hasselback, he's the oldest, the worst overall QB, and not on a team in any position to win a super bowl.

killxswitch
05-01-2009, 08:55 AM
It's easily Hasselback, he's the oldest, the worst overall QB, and not on a team in any position to win a super bowl.

Romo hasn't done anything to show himself to be a better overall QB than Hasselback IMO.

the decider13
05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
It was a toss up between Hasselback and Palmer for me. I went with Hasselback simply because of age. I think Palmer is in the worst overall situation, but he still has good years left in him.

Bengalsrocket
05-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I voted Hasselbeck (beck, not back guys), but I could easily understand why anyone would vote for Palmer. I don't think his age is the concern, which the OP mentioned, but there is a lot of other things to factor in.

killxswitch
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Carson Palmer's situation is a real shame. He has the ability to be up there with Manning and Brady IMO, but between the injuries and the poor team around him he hasn't had much of a chance.

Malaka
05-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Romo hasn't done anything to show himself to be a better overall QB than Hasselback IMO.

He still is younger, and on a team with in my opinion a much better chance to go deep in the playoffs.

JT Jag
05-01-2009, 11:23 AM
For me, it was between, Palmer, Brees and Hasselbeck, but I didn't see Hasselbeck until I voted for BreesSame here.

killxswitch
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
He still is younger, and on a team with in my opinion a much better chance to go deep in the playoffs.

None of that makes him a better QB. He is a younger QB in a better situation. At least Hasselbeck has done something in the postseason during his career.

Calvin & Kevin
05-01-2009, 11:51 AM
At least Hasselbeck has been to a Super Bowl.

I voted Romo because the guy has an established pattern of gagging late in the season and in the playoffs. He's got to overcome that before I will believe he's going to win it all.

Don Vito
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I love Hasselbeck, but his odds of winning a Super Bowl are unfortunately very low. To put it simply, he is getting older and Seattle just doesn't look like a contender.

XxXdragonXxX
05-01-2009, 11:55 AM
I voted for Palmer because he plays for the Bengals.

I didnt vote for Hasselbeck because Im a homer and the Seahawks are going to win the Superbowl this year.

bearsfan_51
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Whoever voted for Culter, Rivers, or Rodgers is a dope.

Flyboy
05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm going to go with Tony Romo. Why?

Because he's Tony Romo.

AJHawk50
05-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I went with Matt Hasselbeck out of that list.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Carson Palmer because he is in the same division as the Ravens and Steelers

thetedginnshow
05-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Carson. He's the only one with a terrible FO.

Nalej
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Carson. He's the only one with a terrible FO.

My thoughts exactly

Brent
05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I was hoping this would be a public poll.

I said Romo, by the way. Why? I dont see Hasselbeck as a franchise guy. Bengals have a much better D than people give them credit for and if the Saints had even an average of defense, they could surprise in the playoffs.

As for the Cowboys, it isn't a knock on Romo but I just think that Jerry Jones' personnel moves are going to prevent the team from being any thing beyond a paper tiger in the playoffs.

Malaka
05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
This poll should be made again this time without Matt Hasselbeck.

PoopSandwich
05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I would have voted for Matt but I don't consider him a franchise qb on a team in contention right now so I refused to vote for him.

I voted for McNabb, he's a good player with a good team but can never seem to get it done.

Carson is a good option too, but I have a feeling he will end his career somewhere else.

Hurricanes25
05-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Hasselback is the easy choice so I voted for Tony Romo. It just seems like he cant win a big game.

GB12
05-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Carson is a good option too, but I have a feeling he will end his career somewhere else.
When he gets a chance to leave the Bengals he'll be 35 already.

BloodBrother
05-01-2009, 07:44 PM
It is easily Hasselbeck with Palmer a close 2nd. If I had to rank them from least likely to win to most likely to, it would look like this:

Hasselbeck
Palmer
Romo
Brees
Rodgers/Cutler(homerism prevents me from putting one over the other)
Mcnabb
Rivers

PACKmanN
05-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Mine is the only Aaron Rodgers vote b/c I remembered how disappointing the Pack was last yr. Teams with a dominant defense & the clock-controlling, pound the rock running game win SBs.

I'd like to change it to Hasselbeck too now that I think about it -- Jones is not a controlling running attack & they haven't had that really in Seattle since Shaun Alexander left.

did you watch any Packers' games last year? because your just talking out of your *** with that comment...

princefielder28
05-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Easy choice. Hasselbeck doesn't have the talent around him and the years are running out.

tjsunstein
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Hasselbeck for sure.
I doubt Palmer does either.

Mr. Hero
05-01-2009, 08:07 PM
IF the bengals bring in the right coaching crew to replace Marvin Lewis they could be a regular playoff team. That defense is becoming a high caliber group, with some depth and development they'll be a regular top ten defense and I really like a lot of their young olineman that they're rebuilding their line with, I think Jerome Simpson can be a beast. That's a talented team that could certainly contend with the steelers and ravens in a few years and then it's a question of balls bouncing their way in the playoffs. I don't think he'll have a very long window of oppurtunity but if the **** doesn't hit the fan Palmer should have about 5 years worth of contending for a superbowl with a worthy team.

Xonraider
05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Matt H... not that HE is not capable, he's just not surrounded by a team that is, and eventually he'll be replaced.

Grizzlegom
05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
although i think a lot of those will retire without a super bowl, i voted Romo because I think he is the one on the list that wont win a super bowl because of his ability (or lack thereof) as opposed to the team around him.

BigBanger
05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Matt Hasselbeck since he's not a franchise QB to begin with. He's only paid like one, which doesn't actually make him one, which is why the Seahawks will regret not taking a shot at Mark Sanchez because he'd be quite the upgrade no matter how average he turns out to be.

Hasselbeck sucks.

CJSchneider
05-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Given his age and the state of his team, the answer is clearly Hasselbeck

tjsunstein
05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by LizardState

This is why you should never look at records to base your opinion soley upon.
Couldn't have been our 22nd ranked defense. Nooo.
5th ranked offense in points. Wonder who ran that...

You suck.

cdub11
05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I went with Hasselbeck... he is aging and seattle is the furthest away of those teams

NY+Giants=NYG
05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Carson Palmer

LonghornsLegend
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
None of that makes him a better QB. He is a younger QB in a better situation. At least Hasselbeck has done something in the postseason during his career.

Coming from a Colts fan, because Peyton tore the post-season up to start his career right? Or was it different then? All these young QB's have just as good of a chance, nobody would of picked Eli the year before he won, but Hasselbeck is coming off injury and has what, 2-3 years left tops?

It would of been closer had Hass not even been an option.