PDA

View Full Version : Harvin missing camps because of dehydration?

superman
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
That's not a very good sign. Going to the hospital before even stepping foot on the field.

OregonDucks
05-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Do you have a source I want to read more about it.

OregonDucks
05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Nevermind found it

OregonDucks
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
He'll be fine. Just got sick and dehydrated. He'll be fine.

Datruth
05-01-2009, 04:58 PM
sounds like someone got drunk.

superman
05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
sounds like someone got drunk.

exactly. i don't think anythings wrong with him physically like he's "dehydration prone", but this is just another example of him being an idiot.

CC.SD
05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Seriously what's going on here. Did he REALLY get drunk and pass out? really?

The Dynasty
05-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Seriously what's going on here. Did he REALLY get drunk and pass out? really?

No that is them just speculating. It seems just from working out and getting ready for the draft process just caught up with him.

This is from Childress' press conference

Ill Harvin hospitalized in Atlanta
May 1st, 2009 – 3:43 PM by Judd Zulgad

Vikings’ first-round pick Percy Harvin, who was absent from today’s opening day of rookie minicamp, is hospitalized in Atlanta because of the extreme dehydration that caused him to become sick in the Atlanta airport on Thursday. Harvin stopped there on layover as he traveled from Florida to Minneapolis.

Coach Brad Childress gave a report on Harvin’s situation during his news conference following today’s practice. Childress said that Harvin had been checked for Swine flu and the results came back negative. “I’m sure that with where we are at right now, when you vomit in the airport and are extremely sick, they were over the top, Childress said. “As far as paramedics coming and taking him in an ambulance. … He’s been hospitzlied with extreme dehyrdation and a virus.

“He started feeling ill on Wednesday and had a hard workout with their strength coach on Wednesday. But what I think, what I’m going to conjecture, our doctors have spoken extensively with those people down there. When you take, I think he was scheduled in talking to his dad, 14 or 15 trips on airplanes here in the last couple of weeks. Including two here, the one that he left from here on Sunday, when he came back, was delayed an hour-and-a-half here in Minneapolis. He got to Atlanta at midnight, missed a connection.

“They got in a car and drove to Jacksonville, got there at 7 o’clock in the morning. And he had three workouts the week that I was down there [last week]. I just think the grind had caught up with him. That’s what they are calling extreme dehydration probably exacerbated by that hard workout. It’s an unfortunate circumstance but it is what it is.”

Harvin is expected to be hospitalized for 24 to 48 hours and Childress said the plan will then be for him to return to Florida to recuperate. He will not take part in this weekend’s camp, which will feature two practices Saturday and a final practice Sunday.

thebow305
05-01-2009, 05:58 PM
And it starts already....

TACKLE
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Maybe he had diarrhea. God knows that can dehydrate you. http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

This speculation that he got drunk before camp is ridiculous.

TitanHope
05-01-2009, 06:09 PM
He was tested for Swine Flu, but it turned up negative.

Anyway, sounds like an extreme case of dry-mouth... :D

OregonDucks
05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
exactly. i don't think anythings wrong with him physically like he's "dehydration prone", but this is just another example of him being an idiot.

Thats not what it was bro, wow. What source did you read? Its all the workouts and overwhelming parts of the pre draft stuff that got him. Another example of him being an idiot? haha wow way off

superman
05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
does marijuana and/or alcohol weaken your immune system?

CC.SD
05-01-2009, 06:23 PM
We're not getting the whole story here...

BUST. :D

Mr. Hero
05-01-2009, 06:27 PM
On Harvin hoping on the Dorsey/Long train to bustville before camp? I think so, heather agrees. evolution.

russie
05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
cant wait for all the lame ass weed/cotton mouth jokes to start

Cicero
05-01-2009, 07:03 PM
does marijuana and/or alcohol weaken your immune system?

Marijuana actually does repress your immune system some.

CashmoneyDrew
05-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I haven't read the whole story but I've gotten severely sick/dehydrated at an airport before. It was hell on earth. Non-stop throwing up, having complete strangers looking so strangely at me. It was actually kind of funny because I'm willing to bet a lot of people thought I was bringing some pandemic back to America from wherever they thought I was coming from. hehehe

sbh15
05-01-2009, 07:47 PM
OMG He failed a drug test, he is now an addict, alcoholic, and already a headcase.

Chill the **** out, lay off of the guy. He's stressed.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
sounds like people just jump on anything they can. This is the classic 'internet talk' thread based on all the rediculous accusations that people are making up...

hagy34
05-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I love how people is this thread are talking about him being an idiot and a bust. Ridiculous.

PossibleCabbage
05-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I love how people is this thread are talking about him being an idiot and a bust. Ridiculous.

Well, bust is absolutely premature, but I think "idiot" is a slam dunk.

Then again, that doesn't really set him apart from a lot of successful WRs.

hagy34
05-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, bust is absolutely premature, but I think "idiot" is a slam dunk.

Idiot? Why? Because he was sick in airport? I'm not saying he's not an idiot....I'm saying its ridiculous that because of this report people are assuming that he did something wrong. Nobody in this thread even has a clue what happened.

superman
05-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Idiot? Why? Because he was sick in airport? I'm not saying he's not an idiot....I'm saying its ridiculous that because of this report people are assuming that he did something wrong. Nobody in this thread even has a clue what happened.

idiot because he failed the idiot test at the combine

marshallb
05-01-2009, 08:52 PM

Exactly. I never thought any thing like this would come of this, but I'm also not shocked that it did. A lot of that comes from people not reading what's actually going on and happened, they just see that he is dehydrated and jump to some conclusions. Also, I read a report that said that he had a virus similar to the flu, but no it is not the swine flu. That and all of the **** that he has been doing lately. I'd imagine that almost all of these guys have had pretty much non-stop workouts ever since the end of the college season, and are all drained from that, and the whole draft and fly to you new team for an hour of talking with the press and holding up his new jersey and taking some pictures, and then flying back to school, and then school and workouts and flying back up for camp, etc. It is all just a huge tiring process and I wouldn't doubt it if more players don't suffer from dehydration or other things like that, but it just isn't reported because it isn't as severe or anything.

CC.SD
05-01-2009, 09:01 PM

I'm okay with labeling Percy an idiot, because he smoked weed before getting tested, when he knew he would be tested. He'll never know how much money it cost him. I'll never judge someone (negatively :) ) for smoking, I'm from freaking San Diego but seriously Percy should have known better.

sbh15
05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm okay with labeling Percy an idiot, because he smoked weed before getting tested, when he knew he would be tested. He'll never know how much money it cost him. I'll never judge someone (negatively :) ) for smoking, I'm from freaking San Diego but seriously Percy should have known better.

It probably cost him zero dollars because 22 is a lot higher than most anyone had him going.

superman
05-01-2009, 10:32 PM
It probably cost him zero dollars because 22 is a lot higher than most anyone had him going.
than most had him going before the failed test

he could have gone to oakland/jax before that

PossibleCabbage
05-01-2009, 11:26 PM
idiot because he failed the idiot test at the combine

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

The Dynasty
05-01-2009, 11:41 PM
than most had him going before the failed test

he could have gone to oakland/jax before that

That failed drug test didn't do that much to his stock that you seem to be making it out to be. I don't think there was that great of a shot of him to make the top 10. Most had him at best going Mid 1st and that was before the stuff came out about failed drug test. He fell in the early 20's because thats where he should have been drafted not because of a failed drug test.

superman
05-01-2009, 11:59 PM
That failed drug test didn't do that much to his stock that you seem to be making it out to be. I don't think there was that great of a shot of him to make the top 10. Most had him at best going Mid 1st and that was before the stuff came out about failed drug test. He fell in the early 20's because thats where he should have been drafted not because of a failed drug test.
you're right. he didn't drop because of the failed test at all...

neither did tate...

c'mon

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Regardless of whether failing the idiot test at the combine hurt his stock, it did hurt him in the following way:

Harvin is one strike ahead of most everybody else in the draft on the road towards "four game suspension" not to mention "year long suspension." Not only that, but this season the NFL will be able to test him for substances whenever they want as often as they want (which is not the case for those not in the NFL substance abuse program).

This may or may not end up actually costing him games, but considering that he wasn't smart enough to not test positive at the combine... would anybody really want to stake much on it?

Dr. Gonzo
05-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I look at it this way. His stock was not hurt by the failed drug test. I haven't seen him projected in the top 15 in a while and there were teams trying to trade up to the mid 20's for him. I think he had no intention of smoking weed during the season so being on the watch list shouldn't hurt him. If I had to guess I would say that he knew he didn't have that much time left to smoke weed and he made the most of the off season but smoking quite a bit of weed. I just think that it was a last hurah of sorts for him. Now if he tests positive during the season and gets suspended I will call him an idiot but until then he is just a guy who was enjoying his youth and having fun. I think he knew he wouldn't be smoking during the season and I imagine he had to give the Vikings organization his word on that or he wouldn't have been picked. I do not hold his positive drug test against him at all and I would do the same for every prospect. Unless he is getting suspended it isn't a problem.

TitanHope
05-02-2009, 12:26 AM
A wonderlic score of 12 and failing a drug test that you were aware of ahead of time doesn't exactly scream genius. He's either an idiot kid or he just doesn't give a damn.

It probably was just dehydration, but Harvin in no way, shape, or form deserves the benefit of the doubt. If he was stupid enough to toke before the combine, then why wouldn't he be stupid enough to do something before rookie minicamp?

The "lame ass weed and cotton-mouth jokes" are warranted.

pr0d1gy
05-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Harvin is a big time home run threat, as long as he stays out of jail and the hospital.

marshallb
05-02-2009, 11:31 AM
OK, here's the thing about the failed drug test, how does anybody know that he hadn't quit about a month or a few weeks before the combine and it was still in his system? It's not like alcohol where it will leave your system rather quickly. It can stay in your system for an awfully long time.

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I really don't get why people think Harvin will be a bust, he's in a great spot that won't ask him to just run routes on the outside, he'll be a play-maker all over the field and take advantage of the attention that AD commands every play.

If he is 100% healthy with his foot and everything, I highly doubt he'll bust, he's incredible running after the catch, the route running will take a learning curve but it's all the same when the ball is in your hands and your trying to score, and he's always been good at that.

The Dynasty
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Harvin released from hospital
May 2nd, 2009 – 10:05 AM by Judd Zulgad

Vikings first-round pick Percy Harvin has been released from an Atlanta hospital after being admitted Thursday morning because of extreme dehydration and a virus. Harvin will return to his Florida home to recuperate.

Harvin, a standout receiver from Florida who was taken No. 22 overall by the Vikings, was traveling from Florida to the Twin Cities on Thursday when he became sick during a layover in Atlanta. Airport paramedics tended to Harvin and then took to the hospital in an ambulance. The concern was that much greater because of the outbreak of the H1N1 novel influenza but Harvin tested negative for what had been originally called Swine flu.

The Vikings will conduct two workouts today at Winter Park as they continue a three-day rookie minicamp that ends Sunday with a single practice. Harvin, obviously, won’t be in attendance for any of the practices. He should, however, be on the field on May 19 when the Vikings begin their Organized Team Activities. Looking at University of Florida website, it appears as if the school’s final exams are wrapping up this week, meaning Harvin’s school year will be over.

The Vikings also will conduct a mandatory minicamp for veterans and rookies from May 29-31.

Addict
05-02-2009, 11:40 AM
OK, here's the thing about the failed drug test, how does anybody know that he hadn't quit about a month or a few weeks before the combine and it was still in his system? It's not like alcohol where it will leave your system rather quickly. It can stay in your system for an awfully long time.

http://www.concept420.com/how-long-does-marijuana-stay-system.htm

3-30 days, depending on your metabolism and the amount smoked. Assuming he's go a phenomenal metabolism (well-trained athelete in excellent condition) it's probably closer to three days. He hasn't got many fat cells to store the stuff, so the smoking had to have been recent.
They call it the idiot test for a reason. You know it's coming, you know what you'll be tested for. If you fail the combine drug test, you're either a monumental idiot or very very very hopelessly addicted to grass.

OregonDucks
05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Well that combine test is over and done with now, we are talking about the aiport scene when he gets dehydrated. No point in bringing up the failed drug test, he still made the first round, obviously didnt hurt him much. Move on

Addict
05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Well that combine test is over and done with now, we are talking about the aiport scene when he gets dehydrated. No point in bringing up the failed drug test, he still made the first round, obviously didnt hurt him much. Move on

he's still an idiot.

and dehydration could just be because he just forgot to drink.

DHVF
05-02-2009, 12:35 PM
he's still an idiot.

And you're a Lions fan. Nobody is perfect.

The Dynasty
05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
he's still an idiot.

God forbid there might be something actually wrong with the kid and people on here and any other message board about the NFL just keep calling him an idiot and assuming he was partying and smoking. Sure its what everyone will think because he failed the idiot test at the combine. That doesn't mean that maybe he might have gotten a virus to cause him to be dehydrated and vomit in an airport. Assuming that he was doing something stupid is just being ignorant. We have no idea what actually happen to Percy Harvin to cause him to be dehydrated.

Vikes99ej
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I am going to rename this thread the Thread of People Who Know What They Are Talking About.

Addict
05-02-2009, 12:53 PM
And you're a Lions fan. Nobody is perfect.

you thought the lions fan part was funny? I'm a lions fan because I thought their jerseys were cool in Madden '05. True story.

God forbid there might be something actually wrong with the kid and people on here and any other message board about the NFL just keep calling him an idiot and assuming he was partying and smoking. Sure its what everyone will think because he failed the idiot test at the combine. That doesn't mean that maybe he might have gotten a virus to cause him to be dehydrated and vomit in an airport. Assuming that he was doing something stupid is just being ignorant. We have no idea what actually happen to Percy Harvin to cause him to be dehydrated.

God forbid that someone has a sense of humor about it. Harvin will be fine and I fully expect him to tear the lions a new one twice this season. But instead of a collective crying session we might as well have a laugh. No need to get all jumpy about it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually forgot to drink. Having been busy and all the last few weeks.

Gay Ork Wang
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
like it really matters what people on the internet think :/

pr0d1gy
05-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Why America hold to this antiquated notion that testing for marijuana is a reasonable thing to do. Like 80% of people have admitted to smoking pot, it's time to just get over it. Pharmaceutical companies keep antiquated laws like this in effect to keep you purchasing their painkillers and other prescriptions. The fact that Ricky Williams had to quit playing in the NFL just so he could enjoy his life should be an embarrassment to both the league, and our country.

Look, I hate Florida, don't like Harvin either, but this is one thing I will never agree with. Why is it ok to get drunk every night but you cannot smoke a joint once in awhile? It's because the government hasn't found a way to charge you for it, and if they did they wouldn't allow you to grow it still.

I hate to go political in a draft forum, but it sickens me that our country is run by businesses instead "of the people".

diabsoule
05-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Why America hold to this antiquated notion that testing for marijuana is a reasonable thing to do. Like 80% of people have admitted to smoking pot, it's time to just get over it. Pharmaceutical companies keep antiquated laws like this in effect to keep you purchasing their painkillers and other prescriptions. The fact that Ricky Williams had to quit playing in the NFL just so he could enjoy his life should be an embarrassment to both the league, and our country.

Look, I hate Florida, don't like Harvin either, but this is one thing I will never agree with. Why is it ok to get drunk every night but you cannot smoke a joint once in awhile? It's because the government hasn't found a way to charge you for it, and if they did they wouldn't allow you to grow it still.

I hate to go political in a draft forum, but it sickens me that our country is run by businesses instead "of the people".

You're right. I mean, it's like we're the only country where marijuana isn't legal! ::eyeroll::

Addict
05-03-2009, 05:17 AM
You're right. I mean, it's like we're the only country where marijuana isn't legal! ::eyeroll::

it isn't. Your point?

Because his point was that the laws prohibiting the stuff are stupid, he didn't say the US was the only one outlawing it. I don't understand what you mean by saying: "oh ok I see your point but allow me to act as if you made a very different point and then, just for the hell of it, I'll make a sarcastic remark about the point you weren't making!"

OneToughGame
05-03-2009, 06:46 AM

neither did tate...

c'mon

Tate didn't drop because of his knee at all..

what.

superman
05-03-2009, 11:42 AM
he dropped because of both, hence round 3

harvin dropped bc of the failed test, hence bottom of rd 1 having top 10 talent

Dr. Gonzo
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM

I am pretty sure Harvin was not going to go top 10 before the failed drug test. I can't recall any talk of him going top 10 in the past few months. As for Tate his stock had been in the round 3 range for a while and people thought the failed drug test could mean he might not even get drafted or if he did get drafted it would be in later rounds. It seems to me that neither failed drug test really affected their draft stocks.

LonghornsLegend
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM

neither did tate...

c'mon

Just curious, what round did you think Tate was going to go before the draft?

If you think he dropped that means you thought he was a 2nd rounder, he was at best a 4th rounder because he couldn't work out and wasn't healthy, if anything he was drafted well before anyone expected him to go.

That's not a very good example.

Dr. Gonzo
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
So in conclusion drugs slightly helped both players stocks it seems (based off of seeing Harvin being a late round one guy and Tate being a late third round guy at best before the failed tests).

The Dynasty
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Tate had a lot of concerns in him. If I am not mistaken he was the UNC WR who tore his ACL. He has had health and durability concerns and he was never projected to go that high. He is projected at best to be a #3 WR or maybe #2 receiver at best.

As for Harvin like I said before at best he was going to be drafted between 16-19 then probably fall to early 20's like he did. Harvin had concerns more than just a failed drug test.

A failed drug test is not a major concern when your thinking of drafting someone..Calvin Johnson failed a drug test once he was drafted #2. BJ Raji failed a Drug test at Boston College and he was drafted #9. You have to think these guys are Kids. They are 20-22 years old. We all make mistakes and teams will realize that at times.

Harvin and Tate didnt not drop because of a failed drug test. They fell because of durability issues.

PossibleCabbage
05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
There's a big, big difference between "failing a drug test at college because you're a dumb kid in college and they don't bother to tell you when they're going to test you (also, there are no severe penalties for doing so" and "failing a drug test that you know is coming at a job interview for a potentially multi-million dollar job."

The first thing is ultimately forgivable and could happen to anybody, but the second is the hallmark of true stupidity.

The Dynasty
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
There's a big, big difference between "failing a drug test at college because you're a dumb kid in college and they don't bother to tell you when they're going to test you (also, there are no severe penalties for doing so" and "failing a drug test that you know is coming at a job interview for a potentially multi-million dollar job."

The first thing is ultimately forgivable and could happen to anybody, but the second is the hallmark of true stupidity.

I agree that Harvin was an Idiot to fall that test anyone is. You should never fail a drug test when you know you will be taking one. I am just saying that his failed drug test did not hurt his draft status in the draft, same with tate.

Dr. Gonzo
05-03-2009, 04:12 PM
A failed drug test in now way means he will be a bust and it does not mean he is an idiot. People make mistakes all the time and just because he was a highly touted draft prospect it does not mean he is some sort of god or immune to making mistakes. He failed the test, fine. Now if he makes the same mistake again then there will be a problem.

Addict
05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
A failed drug test in now way means he will be a bust and it does not mean he is an idiot. People make mistakes all the time and just because he was a highly touted draft prospect it does not mean he is some sort of god or immune to making mistakes. He failed the test, fine. Now if he makes the same mistake again then there will be a problem.

Harvin could (and should) have a great career, provided he stays out of trouble and out of the hospital. Both have been problems for him thus far.

Dr. Gonzo
05-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Harvin could (and should) have a great career, provided he stays out of trouble and out of the hospital. Both have been problems for him thus far.

True enough. I just tend to give players more leeway as far as making mistakes in college goes. Plenty of troubled players have turned it around when they went pro. I have high hopes for Harvin and I am just tired of everyone calling him an idiot every chance they get and not even bothering to read the facts before judging him. Hopefully he turns out okay but I can understand if you as a Lions fan hope he fails miserably.

pr0d1gy
05-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Hahahah I said the exact same thing about another guy in another thread!

Addict
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
True enough. I just tend to give players more leeway as far as making mistakes in college goes. Plenty of troubled players have turned it around when they went pro. I have high hopes for Harvin and I am just tired of everyone calling him an idiot every chance they get and not even bothering to read the facts before judging him. Hopefully he turns out okay but I can understand if you as a Lions fan hope he fails miserably.

ha, like the Vikings need Harvin to crush the Lions.

Dr. Gonzo
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
ha, like the Vikings need Harvin to crush the Lions.

StorminNorman seems to think the Lions will contend for the NFC North next year so you never know :)

Addict
05-03-2009, 05:27 PM
StorminNorman seems to think the Lions will contend for the NFC North next year so you never know :)

Stranger things have happe-- no they haven't. But still.

wogitalia
05-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Interesting story, I tend to believe that is was an innocent virus this time.

He certainly isnt bright though so it is possible it is something else.

I think he had no intention of smoking weed during the season so being on the watch list shouldn't hurt him. If I had to guess I would say that he knew he didn't have that much time left to smoke weed and he made the most of the off season but smoking quite a bit of weed. I just think that it was a last hurah of sorts for him.

Yes because that is the attitude of every pothead I have ever met... Let's be honest, if you are too stupid to not stay clean during the entire draft process, you know that period where you need to be as physically and mentally sharp as possible, it says one of two things about him. He is either completely addicted to pot or he is a complete idiot, both are character flaws, stupid is the better one for a pro athlete because whether potheads like it or not and whether it is stupid or not, it is still illegal.

I just hope like hell Harvin proves me wrong about him.

pr0d1gy
05-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Interesting story, I tend to believe that is was an innocent virus this time.

He certainly isnt bright though so it is possible it is something else.

Yes because that is the attitude of every pothead I have ever met... Let's be honest, if you are too stupid to not stay clean during the entire draft process, you know that period where you need to be as physically and mentally sharp as possible, it says one of two things about him. He is either completely addicted to pot or he is a complete idiot, both are character flaws, stupid is the better one for a pro athlete because whether potheads like it or not and whether it is stupid or not, it is still illegal.

I just hope like hell Harvin proves me wrong about him.

I hate to tell you man, but your Foster's beer does much more damage to the people using it AND THOSE AROUND THEM than any pot ever did to anyone. I don't appreciate you lumping an entire group of people into your stereotypical view solely to serve your own self righteous agenda. If you feel the need to continue spewing your propaganda, could you do it in this correct forum (link provided):

http://www.communism.org/

superman
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
WE KNOW POT ISN'T THAT BAD FOR YOU

most of this forum probably smokes it so will defend it until they die

but it's illegal. that's the thing that makes him stupid

BGB
05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
WE KNOW POT ISN'T THAT BAD FOR YOU

most of this forum probably smokes it so will defend it until they die

but it's illegal. that's the thing that makes him stupid

MN just leagalized it for medical use. Harvin does have a bum ankle. Just sayin, LOL.

Seriously though once the season starts no one will care about any of this BS. It will come down to what it always comes down to which is how you perform on the field.

superman
05-04-2009, 01:56 PM
MN just leagalized it for medical use. Harvin does have a bum ankle. Just sayin, LOL.

Seriously though once the season starts no one will care about any of this BS. It will come down to what it always comes down to which is how you perform on the field.

as a dolphins fan, i know a guy not being able to quit smoking hurts DURING the season too

BGB
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
as a dolphins fan, i know a guy not being able to quit smoking hurts DURING the season too

Jesus christ not every dude who smoke pot is as crazy as Rickey Williams!! I highly doubt that Harvin is going to be going on any holistic misssions trying to find his soul or what ever that crazy bastard was doing!

superman
05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Jesus christ not every dude who smoke pot is as crazy as Rickey Williams!! I highly doubt that Harvin is going to be going on any holistic misssions trying to find his soul or what ever that crazy bastard was doing!
i don't think so either. but anybody failing a test for that at the combine, i'd have to assume is more than just an occasional smoker. might be hard for him to quit. not saying he won't be able to. sapp cleaned up. or at least was smart enough not to get caught once in the nfl.

pr0d1gy
05-04-2009, 05:23 PM
i don't think so either. but anybody failing a test for that at the combine, i'd have to assume is more than just an occasional smoker. might be hard for him to quit. not saying he won't be able to. sapp cleaned up. or at least was smart enough not to get caught once in the nfl.

Marijuana is non addictive. It is not like legal drugs like nicotine or alcohol in that you can easily stop at any time you want to. None of these guys get caught in the NFL because they all fly to California and get prescriptions for it, because California is one of the few states in this country not still stuck in the dark ages of the "War on Drugs".

I have to wonder if any of you complaining about this have actually spent any time smoking pot with some friends, or if you are just little nerd boys who still believe the War on Drugs is actually a good thing for this country. The real kicker in all of this is that if this country would make it legal, we could actually afford to use it in our cooking....thus saving our lungs from the damage of having to smoke it and saving informed people from having to explain to the uninformed that the pills people take are much worse for you than marijuana.

superman
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Marijuana is non addictive. It is not like legal drugs like nicotine or alcohol in that you can easily stop at any time you want to. None of these guys get caught in the NFL because they all fly to California and get prescriptions for it, because California is one of the few states in this country not still stuck in the dark ages of the "War on Drugs".

I have to wonder if any of you complaining about this have actually spent any time smoking pot with some friends, or if you are just little nerd boys who still believe the War on Drugs is actually a good thing for this country. The real kicker in all of this is that if this country would make it legal, we could actually afford to use it in our cooking....thus saving our lungs from the damage of having to smoke it and saving informed people from having to explain to the uninformed that the pills people take are much worse for you than marijuana.

oh no, i don't smoke weed. i must be such a loser not wanting to waste my money on lighting plants on fire and sucking in the smoke. you can have a problem with it without being physically addicted to it. my roommates smoke every single day and i don't mind at all, but it's just like a habit they have to do that day for some reason.

Dr. Gonzo
05-04-2009, 06:40 PM
oh no, i don't smoke weed. i must be such a loser not wanting to waste my money on lighting plants on fire and sucking in the smoke. you can have a problem with it without being physically addicted to it. my roommates smoke every single day and i don't mind at all, but it's just like a habit they have to do that day for some reason.

Seriously, don't knock it unless you have tried it. Do you actually know anything about weed or are you just regurgitating things you have heard? I have no problem with people who don't want to smoke but don't do claiming people who do are idiots.

In now way am I advocating illegal drugs here :)

Drugs are bad.

superman
05-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Seriously, don't knock it unless you have tried it. Do you actually know anything about weed or are you just regurgitating things you have heard? I have no problem with people who don't want to smoke but don't do claiming people who do are idiots.

In now way am I advocating illegal drugs here :)

Drugs are bad.

i do every now and then just socially since like i said, my roommates do it.

if i knew i was going to be tested, i wouldn't.

because i'm not an idiot.

i'm not saying smoking is dumb in general, i'm saying what harvin did is.

Dr. Gonzo
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
i do every now and then just socially since like i said, my roommates do it.

if i knew i was going to be tested, i wouldn't.

because i'm not an idiot.

i'm not saying smoking is dumb in general, i'm saying what harvin did is.

Well in the end it didn't hurt his stock so no biggie. He must have said something right to the Pats and Vikes who both visited him just before the draft. Only time will tell whether he is actually an idiot and gets suspended in the NFL because being on a watch list means nothing if he does stop smoking during the season.

superman
05-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Well in the end it didn't hurt his stock so no biggie. He must have said something right to the Pats and Vikes who both visited him just before the draft. Only time will tell whether he is actually an idiot and gets suspended in the NFL because being on a watch list means nothing if he does stop smoking during the season.

it did hurt his stock. not as much as anticipated. but if heyward-bey could go to oakland at 7, harvin could have been top 10. it just takes one team.

since he did fail at the combine, it's more likely he won't be able to quit smoking than say, raji who has been busted for it before but could stop himself in time to test clean at the combine.

i wouldn't put money on him failing a test this year or anything though.

yourfavestoner
05-05-2009, 02:08 AM
it did hurt his stock. not as much as anticipated. but if heyward-bey could go to oakland at 7, harvin could have been top 10. it just takes one team.

since he did fail at the combine, it's more likely he won't be able to quit smoking than say, raji who has been busted for it before but could stop himself in time to test clean at the combine.

i wouldn't put money on him failing a test this year or anything though.

Then he should be fine. IIRC, you only get put on the substance abuse list for a year - where you are subject to as many random tests as the league wants. If you don't piss hot during that year, you get removed from the list.

superman
05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Then he should be fine. IIRC, you only get put on the substance abuse list for a year - where you are subject to as many random tests as the league wants. If you don't piss hot during that year, you get removed from the list.

"should be"

BGB
05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
The funny thing is half these 1st round players are going to be BUSTS becasue they just flat out cant get it done on the field. 10 times as many players bust because of on the field performance then guys who bust due to character concerns. I just laugh when I see some teams getting A's for their drafts becasue they took great players then seeing people give the Vikings say a C becasue they took a chance on Harvin. Guess what if Harvin turns into a 1200 yard 10 TD WR and gets suspended a few times in his career he will still be a way better 1st round pick then half these players that wont even pan out at all.

I just remember getting an A after our 2005 draft in which our 1st 2 picks were Troy Williamson and Erasmus James!!!! LOL

superman
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
The funny thing is half these 1st round players are going to be BUSTS becasue they just flat out cant get it done on the field. 10 times as many players bust because of on the field performance then guys who bust due to character concerns. I just laugh when I see some teams getting A's for their drafts becasue they took great players then seeing people give the Vikings say a C becasue they took a chance on Harvin. Guess what if Harvin turns into a 1200 yard 10 TD WR and gets suspended a few times in his career he will still be a way better 1st round pick then half these players that wont even pan out at all.

I just remember getting an A after our 2005 draft in which our 1st 2 picks were Troy Williamson and Erasmus James!!!! LOL

having bad character doesn't omit him from maybe busting on the field too. so not only does he need to not be part of the "half" you're talking about, he needs to stay away from busting off the field too. more chance.

BGB
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
having bad character doesn't omit him from maybe busting on the field too. so not only does he need to not be part of the "half" you're talking about, he needs to stay away from busting off the field too. more chance.

Yea but my point is unless he goes "Rickey Williams" on us he will still be a great pick if he lives up to his potential even if he does get suspended a few times in his career.

I'll take a 1200+ yard WR who misses a few games every year due to injury or suspension over some average DL or LB who cant even lock down a starting job for the next 5-10 years.

Like I have said many times it all comes down to how they perform when they are on the field. A player on the field who sucks (Troy Williamson) hurts his team a lot more then a player not even on the field (example Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall) in my opinion.

superman
05-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Yea but my point is unless he goes "Rickey Williams" on us he will still be a great pick if he lives up to his potential even if he does get suspended a few times in his career.

I'll take a 1200+ yard WR who misses a few games every year due to injury or suspension over some average DL or LB who cant even lock down a starting job for the next 5-10 years.

Like I have said many times it all comes down to how they perform when they are on the field. A player on the field who sucks (Troy Williamson) hurts his team a lot more then a player not even on the field (example Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall) in my opinion.
well, that's the two extremes.

he'll most likely put up reggie bush production and get suspended a few times, but not out of the league.

which isn't a total bust for 22.

hagy34
05-05-2009, 08:50 PM
well, that's the two extremes.

he'll most likely put up reggie bush production and get suspended a few times, but not out of the league.

which isn't a total bust for 22.

If he puts up Reggie Bush type numbers than it is a great pick at 22. Regardless if he missed games for injury or otherwise. People call Bush a bust at 2, but if he were taken at 22 it would've been the best value in that draft. Not saying he'll be Bush, but if he is than I'll be more than happy with our pick.

CC.SD
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't think there's a big chance of Harvin busting, I just think he's a numbskull. The guy is a burner and a playmaker, injuries are the only reason I think he'd be a non-factor.

superman
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
If he puts up Reggie Bush type numbers than it is a great pick at 22. Regardless if he missed games for injury or otherwise. People call Bush a bust at 2, but if he were taken at 22 it would've been the best value in that draft. Not saying he'll be Bush, but if he is than I'll be more than happy with our pick.

i think the guy in my avatar might object to that