PDA

View Full Version : Very early depth chart

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok lets try to put a depth chart together for this upcoming season, obviously things will be different in the season but it will be cool to look back on.

QB-Flacco/Smith
RB-McGahee/Rice/McClain
FB-McClain
TE-Heap/LJ/Quinn/Drew
LT-Gaither/Terry/Oher
LG-Grubbs/Chester
C-Birk/Chester
RG-Yanda/Chester/Cousins
RT-Oher/Anderson/Terry
WR-Mason/Clayton/Smith/Riley
WR-Williams/Clayton/Smith/Riley

DE-Pryce/Bannan/Kruger
DT-Gregg/McKinney
DE-Ngata/Bannan/Kruger
OLB-Johnson/McClain/Barnes
ILB-Ray Lewis/Phillips/Ellerbe
ILB-Gooden/Burgess/Ellerbe
OLB-Suggs/McClain/Barnes
CB-Washington/Rolle/Carr/Webb
CB-Foxworth/Rolle/Carr/Webb
Nickel-Rolle/Carr/Webb
FS-Reed/Nakamura/Webb
SS-Landry/Zbikowski/Nakamura

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2009, 05:20 PM
That's pretty accurate except IMO there is no reason why Yanda should be starting over Chris Chester who was pretty good last year at guard. Also I doubt Mark Clayton ends up playing in the slot. I still believe he and Dmase will be the only consistent WR's.

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 05:32 PM
true Chester did improve as the year went on. I think it will be the key position battle this off-season. I just put Yanda there because Yanda was over Chester before he got hurt.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Also interesting will be the KR and PR. I assume Carr will be the PR and Rice will be one of the KR's. Also I'm hoping Gano wins the kicking job.

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 05:40 PM
yea I see figures being cut unless a miracle happens. It was odd he was pretty nice his rookie year but boy did he suck his sophmore year. Kelly Gregg could have returned kicks better then Figures

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Figurs has world class speed but is afraid on the field, that's why he sucks as a returner. He stops his feet in anticipation of being hit and basically closes his eyes before he's even hit. You can tell especially against the Steelers he was shaking and hardly moving on the returns because he knew he was going to be lit up. He doesn't have the toughness to be an NFL returner. In college where everything is so spaced out he was great but not in the NFL. Jim Leonhard showed last year and a guy on the Skins who I love Rock Cartwright show that being a great Kick returner is about choosing a lane quick and hitting it hard. You don't have to be the fastest you just have to be aggressive or you will get flattened. Figurs is like this kid on my high school football team back in the day. He was an All district sprinter and would freak kick offs in practice but on game days he was so afraid that he basically shuffled his feet back deep until the kick team smothered him.

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 06:02 PM
yes he will be nothing in the NFL. Also does anyone think David Hale has a shot at making the team? I think that may have been the biggest "WTF Ozzie" pick in history.

ironman4579
05-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Not that this means anything, but in an interview on Sirius, Bart Scott said he thinks Prescott Burgess will be the starter if he can stay healthy. Of course, Ray also said in a later interview that he thinks Gooden will be the guy, so Ray probably knows better.

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 06:18 PM
well Ray always gotta watch out for his U boys. Also if Burgess can stay healthy is a big IF. I believe he has been injured a lot here.

ironman4579
05-01-2009, 06:26 PM
well Ray always gotta watch out for his U boys. Also if Burgess can stay healthy is a big IF. I believe he has been injured a lot here.

Absolutely. I think he's been injured both seasons so far hasn't he? My big thing with Burgess when he was at Michigan was he was always great in practice. Always looked like a beast. Then he'd get into games and just be an OK/solid guy.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I want Tavares to be the starter. Prescott is stronger and more stout against the run but Tavares is a better playmaker. He's quicker, better at reading plays, more fluid footwork. He's also a much compact and explosive hitter.

coordinator0
05-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I think the key battle will be the CB one. I really want to asee how that shakes up, as well as the ILB battle. Gooden, Burgess, possibly Ayenbandejo? Phiiilps or Ellerbe? TC will be fun this year.

America
05-01-2009, 09:18 PM
David Hale was such a wierd pick. He's got a great beard though. He and Oniel Cousins seem like they're stuck down on the depth chart. I think Yanda vs. Chester should be a great training camp battle. Obviously Yanda opened the year as the starter but he's coming back from an ACL tear. And I don't see Clayton losing his spot as the #2 wideout. I also doubt Ellerbe makes the team with the numbers we have at ILB.

ironman4579
05-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I want Tavares to be the starter. Prescott is stronger and more stout against the run but Tavares is a better playmaker. He's quicker, better at reading plays, more fluid footwork. He's also a much compact and explosive hitter.

One thing about it, I'm sure the best player will play. It's not like one of them is a first round pick that might get more opportunity than the other guy.

coordinator0
05-01-2009, 10:29 PM
David Hale was such a wierd pick. He's got a great beard though. He and Oniel Cousins seem like they're stuck down on the depth chart. I think Yanda vs. Chester should be a great training camp battle. Obviously Yanda opened the year as the starter but he's coming back from an ACL tear. And I don't see Clayton losing his spot as the #2 wideout. I also doubt Ellerbe makes the team with the numbers we have at ILB.

If we keep him we would have the same # of ILB's as we did last year.

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 10:32 PM
how many ILB did we have last year? Off the top of my head, Ray,Scott,Gooden(who got put on IR),Burress(who was on IR),Greisen,Ayenbadejo

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Also when I think about it, I think Riley can definetly become the #4 WR by the end of the year. I am real high on this guy. If we can get him to catch he can be very good, his physical tools are insane. I am glad we got him because who cares if he busts he was just a UDFA

Hines
05-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Just a quick question, why isn't Antwan Barnes starting? Coming out of college, he was a huge pass rusher. Why hasn't he cracked the lineup in Baltimore. I believe he could be a sleeper once he gets playing time.

America
05-01-2009, 11:57 PM
If we keep him we would have the same # of ILB's as we did last year.

We lost Griesen and Scott, and replaced them with Phillips and essentially Burgess and Gooden, cause they were on IR most or all of the year.

America
05-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Just a quick question, why isn't Antwan Barnes starting? Coming out of college, he was a huge pass rusher. Why hasn't he cracked the lineup in Baltimore. I believe he could be a sleeper once he gets playing time.

Suggs and JJ have stayed healthy during their time and they're too versatile of players to be taken off a lot, so Barnes really can only get on the field during obvious passing downs. Plus, he was really raw coming out of FIU.

ccB
05-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Looks pretty solid, I doubt Oher starts from the first day, I think Anderson starts off the year as the starting RT, doubt it stays that way though. I don't see Clayton being the #3 WR either, even though I think he would work better out of the slot D-Will hasn't shown us he can stay healthy long enough to be a legit #2. I am also not sure that both Burgess and Ellerbe make the team, I think it will be one or the other, with the other going to the practice squad. Also I can't see both of them being ahead of Brendan Ayanbadejo on the depth charts, even if Ayanbadejo is primarily a ST player. Speaking on LB's what does everyone think about McClain playing ILB?

ccB
05-02-2009, 12:47 AM

Antwan has been a disappointment IMO, I was really high on the pick when we made it but he hasn't put any of his physical skills to use. He is extremely raw and at the moment can only really be used as a situational pass rusher.

Also interesting will be the KR and PR. I assume Carr will be the PR and Rice will be one of the KR's. Also I'm hoping Gano wins the kicking job.

I think Ladarius Webb will get some reps as the KR as well, I think the writing is on the wall for Figurs. Also do you guys think we carry 2 kickers again this year if Haschuka and Gano both impress in camp? I think it's a unlikely scenario but we've been known to do it in the past.

Also when I think about it, I think Riley can definetly become the #4 WR by the end of the year. I am real high on this guy. If we can get him to catch he can be very good, his physical tools are insane. I am glad we got him because who cares if he busts he was just a UDFA

Barring some insane development from Marcus Smith, it is completely plausible to think Riley could make the team as that #4 receiver. He couldn't possibly have worse hands than Figurs, that would be nearly impossible. I think those two battle it out for that position with the outside chance of ERU's boy Justin Harper coming in and shining. As of right now I'd give the edge to Smith, because it's not often UDFA's come in and make a difference their first year.

bam bam
05-02-2009, 12:54 AM
I think it's a long shot that Prescott Burgess is anything more than a special teams player.

Yanda is definitely going to start over Chester if hes healthy...he is a beast. Hes recovering really well from what I hear and I think he will make it to training camp.

Is it just me or is Antwan Barnes is basically a non factor at this point outside of special teams? He has shown glimpses of what they pictured him to be, but most of the time he just gets wiped out of the play.

Riley? He does look like a freak, but hes an UDFA so don't get your hopes up about him being a #4, especially not his rookie year. Can he run routes? All of his highlights are basically him blowing by his guy.

ccB
05-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I think it's a long shot that Prescott Burgess is anything more than a special teams player.

Yanda is definitely going to start over Chester if hes healthy...he is a beast. Hes recovering really well from what I hear and I think he will make it to training camp.

Is it just me or is Antwan Barnes is basically a non factor at this point outside of special teams? He has shown glimpses of what they pictured him to be, but most of the time he just gets wiped out of the play.

Riley? He does look like a freak, but hes an UDFA so don't get your hopes up about him being a #4, especially not his rookie year. Can he run routes? All of his highlights are basically him blowing by his guy.

I think Burgess will have all the chances in the world to prove himself, but the guy is a classic underachiever.

I agree, I think Yanda starts as well, I like Chester as the "swiss army knife" depth guy off the bench who can play any of the three interior line positions.

It's not just you, Barnes has been a disappointment, I never expected the guy to come in and be an all round defensive dynamo, but I did expect him to at least come in as a situational pass rusher and put some pressure on the QB, but he's not even great at that. I really hope he can come in this year and show some improvements in his game, I am starting to lose hope.

As for Riley, I don't think anyone is expecting him to be the #4 guy straight out the gate, but anythings possible right? Marques Colston was a few picks away from being an UDFA and he showed that no matter where you are drafted, or not drafted for that matter, you can come in and make an impact. This scenario is EXTREMELY unlikely but when you break it down, Riley's competition comes in the form of Marcus Smith, Yamon Figurs, and Justin Harper, it won't take the next coming of Randy Moss to beat out those 3. My money is still on Marcus Smith FWIW.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I kinda hope Bart Scott is right about Prescott, because when our pick popped up and then his name did, I remember giving out the biggest cheer I ever have for a 6th rd pick!! Absolutely loved the pick, so hopefully he can contribute to the team somehow this year.

Ravens1991
05-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Speaking on LB's what does everyone think about McClain playing ILB?

Does McClain have any experience playing ILB?

If he doesnt IDK how we will beat out Phillips,Gooden,Burress,Ellerbe for playing time. Hell one of those 4 I just posted(either Burress or Ellerbe) has a shot at not making the team.

Also he had a lot of time as a situational pass rusher, more then Barnes so I think McClain will stay at OLB

coordinator0
05-02-2009, 08:51 AM
how many ILB did we have last year? Off the top of my head, Ray,Scott,Gooden(who got put on IR),Burress(who was on IR),Greisen,Ayenbadejo

That looks about right, but i forgot that Gooden and Burgess were on IR. We'll probably end up only carrying 4. So basically Ellerbe and Phillips take the place of Scott and Greisen... I definitely think Phillips is making the team.

Lewis
Gooden
Ayenbandejo
Burgess
Phillips
Ellerbe

Who will make it out?

coordinator0
05-02-2009, 08:53 AM

If he doesnt IDK how we will beat out Phillips,Gooden,Burress,Ellerbe for playing time. Hell one of those 4 I just posted(either Burress or Ellerbe) has a shot at not making the team.

Also he had a lot of time as a situational pass rusher, more then Barnes so I think McClain will stay at OLB

I also agree 100% with this now that we've picked up some more depth at ILB. Suggs, Johnson, Barnes, and McClain seems like a GREAT group at OLB. I realy like our ILB's too. Yay Ravens.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Anyone else wondering about our offensive backfield? Where will McClain be most of the time? at fullback or RB? If he's movin back to FB, whos our 3rd RB? I hope its Peerman, from what I've seen from him, he's a speedy RB whos a threat to score whenever the balls in his hand. I'd love to have him as our 3rd RB and put him in late in the 4th quater. Also, how will our TE situation fold out? We didn't get anyone great in the draft so we basically have 4 guys, whos the odd man out? Heap? Quinn? Smith or Drew, or do we keep 4 TE's on the roster?

Ravens1991
05-02-2009, 02:10 PM
we did get that one FB from Ole Miss. He could be the blocking FB. I honestly don't know how it will go down. It will be exciting to see how it develops.

Also what WR do you think goes on the practice squad? I think it will be Harper but he is a talented WR. Smith,Dwill,Clayton,Riley,Harper are young and talented, I wonder if we are content with them being our WR corp of the future.

And with TE that is a tough thing as well, Heap will stay, I like Quinn, could anyone see LJ Smith being cut.

ccB
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I really wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a solid yet unspectacular veteran WR for depth purposes the way we did with Terrance Copper last year (tremendous impact, I know) I really think it's a longshot to think that either Harper or Riley will make any significant impact this year. If I were to bet I'd bet the team gives Figurs another shot at WR with him and Marcus Smith competing for the #4 spot, with Smith winning the battle.

Ravens1991
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Figurs is light as a bird and afraid of contact. He would be a situational deep threat at best. I would prefer Riley to be the situational deep threat

ccB
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Figurs is light as a bird and afraid of contact. He would be a situational deep threat at best. I would prefer Riley to be the situational deep threat

I agree, but I see him getting another shot since he was a relatively high draft pick who we knew was extremely raw, and a major project when we drafted him.

Ravens1991
05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
true, but I never thought of his as more then a situational WR and a good return man. Well he showed promise his rookie year, IDK WTF happened this year but he was horrible. Reminds me of Lamont Brightful back in the day, he was awesome in the begining then sucked out of no where.

ChefMike
05-04-2009, 12:46 AM
I could see us keeping mclain in the backfield as a RB and keeping 4 TE's and trying Davon Drew as a FB/Hback he ran a high 4.7 in the 40 at his pro day and is athletic enough to make that type of transition. at 6-4 and 245lbs he would be a load in the backfield for us..

No way LJ Smith gets cut.. Harbaugh wont let that happen..

coordinator0
05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I could see us keeping mclain in the backfield as a RB and keeping 4 TE's and trying Davon Drew as a FB/Hback he ran a high 4.7 in the 40 at his pro day and is athletic enough to make that type of transition. at 6-4 and 245lbs he would be a load in the backfield for us..

No way LJ Smith gets cut.. Harbaugh wont let that happen..

I don't think Harbaugh has any real tie to Smith, he never coached him directly in PHI. He's the most likely TE to get cut IMO because it would cost the team much/anything to do it, and he has horrible hands.

ChefMike
05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't think Harbaugh has any real tie to Smith, he never coached him directly in PHI. He's the most likely TE to get cut IMO because it would cost the team much/anything to do it, and he has horrible hands.

Horrible Hands?! No way... he was the favorite target of McNabb when he was Healthy! the only problem he has is the same problem Heap has.. staying healthy..

lordquas
05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
LJ Smith is real nice, we wouldn't sign him just to cut him. don't be stupid.
He'll be a good backup to Heap, and will see a ton of playing time..
As for McClain, definitely prefer him on the outside.. He was a D-End in college so switching to ILB would be tricky. He'll backup Suggs, and keep doin work on special teams.

To say LJ Smith has horrible hands is retardedly stupid

coordinator0
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
As for McClain, definitely prefer him on the outside.. He was a D-End in college so switching to ILB would be tricky. He'll backup Suggs, and keep doin work on special teams.

Really? Ask just about any Eagles fan/anybody else who has seen him play consistently...

SeanTaylorRIP
05-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Lol at your last line. Personally having watched almost every NFC East game that LJ Smith has been in the league, he has terrible, terrible, terrible hands. He is pretty big and very athletic and can run but his hands are terrible. I find it funny that you disagree. Not only is he a big dropper but he has done it several times in clutch situations/redzone situations.

dcarey20
05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
As of now...starters at each position in bold.

QB - Joe Flacco, Troy Smith, John Beck
RB - Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, Cedric Peerman
FB - Le'Ron McClain
WR - Derrick Mason, Demetrius Williams, Yamon Figurs
WR - Mark Clayton, Marcus Smith
TE - Todd Heap, Quinn Sypniewski, L.J. Smith, Davon Drew
LT - Jared Gaither, Adam Terry
LG - Ben Grubbs, Chris Chester, Oniel Cousins
C - Matt Birk, Chris Chester
RG - Marshal Yanda, Chris Chester, David Hale
RT - Willie Anderson, Michael Oher

LDT - Justin Bannan, Brandon McKinney
NT - Haloti Ngata, Kelly Gregg, Brandon McKinney
RDT - Trevor Pryce, Brandon McKinney
OLB - Terrell Suggs, Antwan Barnes
ILB - Ray Lewis, Brendan Ayanbedejo
ILB - Tavares Gooden, Jason Phillps
OLB - Jarret Johnson, Paul Kruger, Jameel McClain
CB - Domonique Foxworth, Samari Rolle, Frank Walker
CB - Fabian Washington, Chris Carr, Lardarius Webb
FS - Ed Reed, Haruki Nakamura
SS - Dawan Landry, Tom Zbikowski

KR - Chris Carr, Yamon Figurs
PR - Chris Carr, Yamon Figurs

K - Steven Hauschka
P - Sam Koch
LS - Matt Katula

And to add to the discussion I'm seeing, L.J. Smith could VERY EASILY be cut. I do believe his contract is set up for us to cut him before the season without much (if any) penalty.

If I had to bet on any of our tight ends getting cut it would be L.J. Smith. Heap, Sypniewski, and Davon Drew could easily be the only tight ends on the roster when the season starts.

As for Yamon Figurs, he could be cut as well, though I have him making the team because he still has a higher ceiling than any of our current UDFA receivers and he's at least got some sort of experience. I really think the Ravens like what they've got in Marcus Smith.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm fairly confident Drew will be a ps player.

ccB
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
LJ is going to be insurance in case Heap continues to digress. He is also insurance that this year doesn't turn out like last year where we run out of TE's. LJ still has some potential, and this move was a shot in the dark at hoping he can improve on past mistakes. If he does improve we have a viable target for Joe Cool, if he can't than he's gone after this year. It's a low risk, moderate reward type of move.

With LJ there is good that comes with the bad. He will be better at stretching the field and getting open than Heap will at this point in Heap's career, and will also be better with YAC, but LJ's hands are significantly worse than Heap's. He lead the Eagles in drops last year in a reserve role. He will be frustrating to watch when he is wide open and drops the ball, but hopefully he can outweigh some of that frustration with a few TD's in the end zone.

I think theres little chance Heap isn't the #1 TE, LJ will be the #2 guy on the depth charts with Big Quinn being the blocking specialist. Drew might not make the team and if he does I doubt you see him get much PT. We drafted him for long term potential not instant impact.

ccB
05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
As of now...starters at each position in bold.

FB - Le'Ron McClain
WR - Derrick Mason, Demetrius Williams, Yamon Figurs
WR - Mark Clayton, Marcus Smith
TE - Todd Heap, Quinn Sypniewski, L.J. Smith, Davon Drew
RG - Marshal Yanda, Chris Chester, David Hale

LDT - Justin Bannan, Brandon McKinney
NT - Haloti Ngata, Kelly Gregg, Brandon McKinney
RDT - Trevor Pryce, Brandon McKinney
ILB - Ray Lewis, Brendan Ayanbedejo
ILB - Tavares Gooden, Jason Phillps
OLB - Jarret Johnson, Paul Kruger, Jameel McClain
CB - Domonique Foxworth, Samari Rolle, Frank Walker
CB - Fabian Washington, Chris Carr, Lardarius Webb

KR - Chris Carr, Yamon Figurs
PR - Chris Carr, Yamon Figurs

K - Steven Hauschka
P - Sam Koch
LS - Matt Katula

And to add to the discussion I'm seeing, L.J. Smith could VERY EASILY be cut. I do believe his contract is set up for us to cut him before the season without much (if any) penalty.

If I had to bet on any of our tight ends getting cut it would be L.J. Smith. Heap, Sypniewski, and Davon Drew could easily be the only tight ends on the roster when the season starts.

As for Yamon Figurs, he could be cut as well, though I have him making the team because he still has a higher ceiling than any of our current UDFA receivers and he's at least got some sort of experience. I really think the Ravens like what they've got in Marcus Smith.

This is probably the safest bet as to how the depth chart will unfold. Can't say I have many arguments with how you have anything set up. Maybe Gregg reclaims the starting NT spot, but he is coming off a significant injury so they could ease him back in slowly.

I think the thing the Ravens like most about Smith is his ability to contribute on ST, Harbaugh is a sucker for those ST players. I also think his potential is downplayed a lot, the guy hasn't been a WR for very long, he was a RB out of HS and even played RB for the Lobo's his freshman year, but he made great strides in his short time at the position at New Mexico. He's not overly tall or lanky like your prototypical possession receiver, he's got the RB build. He's built similarly to Anquan Boldin and I think he shares that same toughness that Boldin has. I think there is a possibility of him developing into a solid #2 WR down the line, if not a #2 then I definitely see him coming out of the slot eventually.

Ravens1991
05-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I agree he has talent to be a poor mans Boldin, but he has a long long way to go.

Also I dont think Figurs has a higher ceiling then Riley.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
oh god, our recieving corps in gonna suck next year. I bet Ray Rice will be our leading reciever next year :D I hope we utilize him alot more.

Ravens1991
05-04-2009, 09:25 PM
The more i look at it the more i am liking the passing options, granted we dont have a true #1 but I think Flacco can do fine w/ these options. A lot of it depends on the progression of Dwill and Marcus Smith but if they both progress I think we will be just fine. Obviously Flacco wont have any 4 TD 350 yard games but he will be able to get the job done on offense w/ that line, those RB and decent WR.

coordinator0
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm fairly confident Drew will be a ps player.

IDK about that. We did spend a fifth round pick on him.

ccB
05-07-2009, 09:51 AM

Who will get the first shot at replacing linebacker Bart Scott?

Tavares Gooden and Jameel McClain. They're both competing for the spot next to Ray [Lewis]. The one thing about this league is you have to turn guys over. You have to put a younger guy in there and give them a chance to do it. Just like [offensive lineman] Chris Chester last year. It's going to be real exciting to see how they do. We'd love to have Bart here and we tried like crazy. We just didn't have enough money.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens07may07,0,3297751.story

So it looks like I wasn't too far off with my assumption that McClain could be our ILB, and looks like he's above people like Burgess and Phillips for that spot.

Ravens1991
05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I am surprised, that shows his athletic ability and versatility.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
So its -

Ray Lewis
Tarvares Gooden/Jameel McClain - TC Battle
Jason Phillips
Dannell Ellerbe/Prescott Burgess - TC Battle

niel89
05-08-2009, 02:26 AM
FB - Le'Ron McClain
WR1 - Derrick Mason, Yamon Figurs
WR2 - Mark Clayton, Marcus Smith
WR3- Demetrius Williams
TE - Todd Heap, L.J. Smith, Quinn Sypniewski
RG -Chris Chester, Marshal Yanda, David Hale

LDT - Haloti Ngata, Justin Bannan
NT - Kelly Gregg, Brandon McKinney
RDT - Trevor Pryce, Dwan Edwards
ILB - Ray Lewis, Jason Phillps
ILB - Tavares Gooden, Jameel McClain
OLB - Jarret Johnson, Paul Kruger
CB1 - Domonique Foxworth, Samari Rolle, Frank Walker
CB2 - Fabian Washington, Chris Carr, Lardarius Webb
Nickle- Samari Rolle, Chris Carr

KR - Chris Carr
PR - Chris Carr
K - Steven Hauschka
P - Sam Koch

- I wish we had a more veteran QB to keep teaching Flacco to be a professional but Im sure Cam can do pretty good.

-I think that McGahee will be the 'starter' but we will still go with who ever has the hot hand. I still think that McClain is the best back for this team.

-Willie Anderson will get the job to start the year but once he gets hurt Oher will step in and take over. Im sure Oher will see some time on the field with some 3 tackle sets anyways.

-If Yanda was healthy he would be the starter but he is not going to be fully healthy for awhile so Chester will be the starter come season start.

-I think Gregg will have a good year. He has had a full year to get health and he really wants to get back out there.

-I think that Gooden is going to take the ILB spot because he has been in the system for a year and he isnt as raw as some of the other guys.

-I would not be surprised to see Figurs gone from the team. He hasnt shown anything as a receiver, and he couldnt be trusted to consistently return the ball. Leonard was a major boost in punt returns because i could trust him to catch it and get solid return yards.

Looking at our team Im really surprised at how deep we are at some positions. Im happy with our depth at O-line, TE, RB, D-line, ILB, OLB, CB, and safety. There are a ton of guys that are going to have to fight to stay on this team. There will be some great battles to see who stays with the team. I feel like we have made a much better team with players getting healthy and some solid additions.

ccB
05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Here is a nice little article from the Sun on the state of our WR corps:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens0508,0,5724678.story

This excerpt right here made me especially hopeful:

The Ravens could improve their passing game if Williams stays healthy (he's finished the past two seasons on injured reserve) and Marcus Smith takes a step forward in his second season.

Smith, a fourth-round pick, didn't make a catch last season. On Friday, he worked with the first-team offense and made one of the best receptions of the day, pulling down a 40-yard touchdown catch in traffic.

"Now, it's time for me to make plays and make a defining role for myself," Smith said.

This also stuck out to me:

The Ravens have three receivers -- Jerry Porter, Kelley Washington and Tab Perry -- in for tryouts, but none of them separated themselves Friday.

No mention of DJ Hackett, wonder what happened with that.

EDIT: Never mind here is the answer

Free-agent receiver D.J. Hackett visited the Houston Texans instead of trying out for the Ravens.
I guess he feels the likelihood of making the Texans roster is better than making ours? Oh well.

Ravens1991
05-08-2009, 06:49 PM
The talent was there with Smith I was extremly skeptical that he would ever achieve it. Hopefully he does, he is a great blocker and could be a awesome posession WR

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-10-2009, 04:10 PM
yeah, I've read that he is really impressing in the minicamps, he's been getting alotta reps with the first team offense. Hopefully it translates into the season and he produces for us.

America
05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
What does everyone think of Will VanDeSteeg? He's starting in place of Suggs right now, getting 1st team reps. He was a big time player in the Big 10, double digit sacks soph and senior year. Had an injury issue junior year, but he could probably be a PS guy.

ccB
05-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Tavares Gooden has been extremely impressive during camp and has pulled ahead as the clear cut favorite to be playing next to Ray Ray this upcoming season.

I see a stallion,I see a guy who looks like he's been to the Kentucky Derby, that's been tied up for a year and is bigger and stronger. He came out the first day and was like a wild horse. But he's gotten better and better. ... It's the same attitude he had last year, which got you to love him.

The article also speaks about Jameel McClain, apparently Greg Mattison was the one who decided to move McClain from the outside, to the inside. It also says both Gooden and McClain have already been over to Ray Ray's house to analyze game tapes.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens0510,0,5331455.story

ccB
05-11-2009, 01:06 AM
yeah, I've read that he is really impressing in the minicamps, he's been getting alotta reps with the first team offense. Hopefully it translates into the season and he produces for us.

From what I read he and Justin Harper both have impressed, here is Derrick Mason's assessment of the two...

Harp, he did some good things out there throughout the whole camp, I know hes really impressed the coaches. I saw him make some terrific catches; hes out there competing, and Marcus is just getting better. Hes really improved over last season. I think hes now really understanding what it means to be a professional. I think they all are.

jkpigskin
05-11-2009, 01:19 AM
im not getting too excited about marcus smith, even though he is playing well right now, i always remember travis taylor. Guy looked like a stud in minicamps but once the season started, sucked it up bad...

PalmerToCJ
05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
That's funny that Hines asked about Barnes, I was just about to do the same thing. When he was drafted and from what few times I saw him in preseason, I felt like he was the next diamond for the Ravens LB core.

How good are Grubbs and Chester? Your Oline has really come along in the past season or two.

Ravens1991
05-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Grubbs is real good. Chester wont be the starter IMO it will be Yanda, I think Chester will be the future C when Birk leaves. He did improve as the season went on.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Is there any garuntee that Yanda will be back for the season opener at 100 percent, I read that he is still rehabing. Either way I'd be comfortable with Chester at Guard, the dude got a hell of alot better as the season went on.

ccB
05-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Grubbs is real good. Chester wont be the starter IMO it will be Yanda, I think Chester will be the future C when Birk leaves. He did improve as the season went on.

I think there will be a TC Competition between Chester and Yanda for the RG spot. I was ready to give Chester the bust label before he came in last year and took over when Yanda went down. The guy may be the most athletic player on our line (which is saying a lot when you play on the same line as Gaither) and he showed great progression in his blocking abilities. It's nice to see his skill level is starting to match up with athleticism.

Ravens1991
05-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree, I see a TC battle but when Birk leaves he is our C

ironman4579
05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Just a note. Jarrett Johnson was on Sirius last night raving about Gooden. He's with Ray in thinking Gooden will be the new starter, but he also thought Burgess could end up being Ray's backup, with the always used caveat "if he can stay healthy."

America
05-15-2009, 01:04 AM
I don't have much faith in Burgess. His situation reminds me of Dan Cody. I wish he had stayed healthy; I hated him so much at OU, which only means that he was always a problem for UT.

And T-Good is supposedly handling this all well. He's taking responsibility, spending time with the players, coaches, and in the film room. He's feeling what it's like to be part of the Raven's defense.

Ravens1991
05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I love it, Gooden can be the next beastly U linebacker. I agree Burgess is always hurt. I really hope we keep Ellerbe I am real high on him

jkpigskin
05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
who do you guys think our CB depth chart will look like? Do we usually carry 5 or 6?
i would rate them
1. Fabian Washington
2. Domonique Foxworth
3. Samari Rolle
4. Chris Carr
5. Frank Walker

than put rookie Lardarius Webb, Derrick Martin, Evan Oglesby.. makes it pretty crowded

Ravens1991
05-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Walker,Martin,Oglesby suck. Webb will beat out all of them.

Walker,Martin,Olesby will be known for there performance against Steelers in the playoffs and that isnt a good one.

Well Martin will be known for getting caught w/ 3 bags of weed at a airport then saying it was a different Derrick Martin, just same name, hometown birthday etc.

jkpigskin
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Walker,Martin,Oglesby suck. Webb will beat out all of them.

Walker,Martin,Olesby will be known for there performance against Steelers in the playoffs and that isnt a good one.

Well Martin will be known for getting caught w/ 3 bags of weed at a airport then saying it was a different Derrick Martin, just same name, hometown birthday etc.

honestly, i dont think frank walker sucks that badly.. he sucks as a starter, but as a 4th or 5th? he is actually pretty good, and i wouldnt get too high on Webb yet

Ravens1991
05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
He could be a OK 5th but w/ Webb talent I dont see us keeping Walker around. I dont see why we would keep 6 CB.

coordinator0
05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
He could be a OK 5th but w/ Webb talent I dont see us keeping Walker around. I dont see why we would keep 6 CB.

I don't see why we wouldn't. With Washington's and Rolle's unfavorable injury history we need to protect ourselves so something like last year doesn't happen.

jkpigskin
05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't see why we wouldn't. With Washington's and Rolle's unfavorable injury history we need to protect ourselves so something like last year doesn't happen.

yea, i have to agree. Rolle, even though i love him as a player, is soo fragile. With one tackle he makes, he is out with some kind of injury. The guy is too injury prone. That is the reason Ozzie loaded up on CBs this offseason and I can see us keeping more for insurance.

ccB
05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I think we keep Walker, he was solid down the stretch last year. I think we will ease Webb into the pro game, he is somewhat of a project.

Ravens1991
05-27-2009, 02:40 PM
good points about injuries, I didnt think about that. I agree keep Walker if we keep one because he was the best out of Martin Oglesby and him.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
who do you guys think our CB depth chart will look like? Do we usually carry 5 or 6?
i would rate them
1. Fabian Washington
2. Domonique Foxworth
3. Samari Rolle
4. Chris Carr
5. Frank Walker

than put rookie Lardarius Webb, Derrick Martin, Evan Oglesby.. makes it pretty crowded

I see it like this-

CB1- Dominique Foxworth
CB2- Fabian Washington
Nickel- Samari Rolle
Dime- Chris Carr
CB5- Lardarius Webb vs. Frank Walker vs. K.J. Gerard vs. Derrick Martin and all those other FA's. I've also heard that Webb might be a safety for us cause I haven't heard much of him at CB.