PDA

View Full Version : Hatton vs Pacquiao

the decider13
05-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Who do you guys think is gonna win? Seems like Pacquiao is getting a lot of hype going in to the fight (deserved) but I hardly hear anyone talking about Hatton.

I think Hatton is gonna win it.

Thoughts?

Donno
05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I really like Ricky Hatton, hes quick and reminds me of old school boxing I'll go with him.

tjsunstein
05-01-2009, 11:35 PM
I like pronouncing Ricky Hatton's name without the H and a little british accent. I like Pac man to win though. He's too good.

the decider13
05-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I like pronouncing Ricky Hatton's name without the H and a little british accent. I like Pac man to win though. He's too good.

I heard Hatton on ESPN...sounded surprisingly proper. I was expecting a cockney accent for some reason lol

cdub11
05-01-2009, 11:44 PM
I think this will be a good fight but Im going with Pac man

tjsunstein
05-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I heard Hatton on ESPN...sounded surprisingly proper. I was expecting a cockney accent for some reason lol

Yeah, he does sound very clear. It's when they interview the fans and his old trainers and stuff on 24/7 or whatever that HBO is called when you get that enjoyable accent. Best accent to mess around with, ever.

princefielder28
05-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Pac's gonna put Ricky's hat on the mat

bantx
05-02-2009, 01:12 AM
PACMAN

asdasd

KCJ58
05-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Manny Pacquiao

yodabear
05-02-2009, 02:06 AM
I always go with the Pacman.

kwilk103
05-02-2009, 02:13 AM
manny!!!!!

M.O.T.H.
05-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I dont expect it to be as close as everyone says it will be. Manny is the superior fighter. Pac's not Mayweather but, he can do a lot of the same things, and Hatton was embarrased in that fight. Dont be surprised to see a TKO in the mid-late to later rounds in Pac's favor. I like Hatton but, he has always been on the overatted side, I wont be surprised in the slighest if he takes Pac the distance but, I dont see him beating him.

If Hatton did somehow do it...sucks for Mayweather and the rest of boxing also. Fans have been screaming for Mayweather/Pacquiao and this is setting us up for that.

MetSox17
05-02-2009, 03:32 AM
I just don't see how Hatton can pull this one off. Pacquiao is a superior fighter in just about every area. I'd love to see Hatton win, just to see Pac finally go down, but i really don't see it happening.

Yatta!
05-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Surprised to see that Hatton has so much support, the press over here aren't giving him much chance.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Pacman for sure.

UK_Cheesehead
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
There's only one Ricky Hatton...

Head says Manny, heart says Ricky.

C'mon the hitman, do us proud. :)

themaninblack
05-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Definitely favor the Pac Man in this fight but I will never rule out Ricky Hatton. I'm really curious to see if he has improved with a competent trainer or not. I want Pac to win just because Pac Man-Mayweather Jr. is the fight I wanna see more than anything.

Rob S
05-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I will take Pac str8 up with a late stoppage, but if you give me the odds I am taking Hatton.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Got it ordered I'm rooting for Pac, he's a straight up brawler. His quickness is ridiculous. Hatton has to be able to stay smart and weather the storm early. Pacman will go guns blazing, I'm just amazed at Pacman's conditioning. He really pushes the pace and keeps the same level of intensity even in the latter rounds.

BRAVEHEART
05-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Pacquiao is gonna smash for sho.

bantx
05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Have a feeling Pacman will win this early with a TKO

tjsunstein
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Have a feeling Pacman will win this early with a TKO

One of my friends said 6 or less. I think I agree with him. Pac has this one.

So who's ordering the fight? I'm coming over. I'll bring beer.

Rob S
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Got it ordered I'm rooting for Pac, he's a straight up brawler. His quickness is ridiculous. Hatton has to be able to stay smart and weather the storm early. Pacman will go guns blazing, I'm just amazed at Pacman's conditioning. He really pushes the pace and keeps the same level of intensity even in the latter rounds.

Hatton has to push back and not give manny the room to use his speed. He has to fight like a bulldog like he used to imo, just use more head movement. He is fully capable of dominating manny in terms of ring generalship because manny's footwork isnt amazing and hatton walks people down pretty well. If he can take a shot or two and get inside and PUSH he could easily win this.

Rob S
05-02-2009, 07:58 PM
One of my friends said 6 or less. I think I agree with him. Pac has this one.

So who's ordering the fight? I'm coming over. I'll bring beer.

I think Manny will stop him late if he does. Just a hunch tho.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-02-2009, 10:44 PM
PACMAN GOAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Would kill Floyd.

kwilk103
05-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Pac-Man by ko in 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bantx
05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
wow i called the early TKO but i didnt think round 2!

the decider13
05-02-2009, 10:47 PM
yikes...glad I didn't buy the fight lol

kwilk103
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
floyd beats JMM

floyd vs pac

would be a great fight

slightlyaraiderfan
05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
so this is suppose to be the fight of the year eh...

tjsunstein
05-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I didnt even have enough time to buy it.

themaninblack
05-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow I did not see that one coming. Pac Man!

bantx
05-02-2009, 11:04 PM
I want to see Pacman vs Merifeather

PACKmanN
05-02-2009, 11:11 PM
PACMAN GOAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Would kill Floyd.

damn straight. I will kill him.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-02-2009, 11:19 PM
damn straight. I will kill him.

Hah you got the greatest username, lol.

Matthew Jones
05-02-2009, 11:21 PM
This was a joke of a fight. I was very disappointed. I would have preferred Hatton win just because there's way too many Pac-Man bandwagoners but I'd have rather seen a good fight. This was awful.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-02-2009, 11:25 PM
This was a joke of a fight. I was very disappointed. I would have preferred Hatton win just because there's way too many Pac-Man bandwagoners but I'd have rather seen a good fight. This was awful.

Who doesn't love the guy. He is a modern day gangster in his country who has the nation at his bedside, has a personal army of machine gun armed soldiers guarding his house and the guy is just such a dynamic fighter. He is worlds from the fighter we saw getting in wars with Morales and Barrera.

kwilk103
05-02-2009, 11:26 PM
was that batista from the wwe walking next to manny (guy to right in white shirt)?

kwilk103
05-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Who doesn't love the guy. He is a modern day gangster in his country who has the nation at his bedside, has a personal army of machine gun armed soldiers guarding his house and the guy is just such a dynamic fighter. He is worlds from the fighter we saw getting in wars with Morales and Barrera.

he also seems to be humble

yodabear
05-02-2009, 11:29 PM

He is a gangster who could **** u up in a hearbeat, but then he isn't like Mike Tyson crazy, so he wouldn't do that outside of the ring. None of his weigh ins turn into pregame bouts or anything. Seems like a great boxer, and a great person.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-02-2009, 11:30 PM
he also seems to be humble

Yeah I love his mentality. He isn't one of those diva boxers who will proclaim himself the GOAT after a victory and call out a fighter for his next match, his mentality is that he will fight whoever his management asks him to, and his job is just to train and whoop ass. Hah Jay Z flew out of his seat when Pacman laid out Hatton. Hah there will be so many hung over british in Vegas tomorrow morning.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-02-2009, 11:33 PM
He is a gangster who could **** u up in a hearbeat, but then he isn't like Mike Tyson crazy, so he wouldn't do that outside of the ring. None of his weigh ins turn into pregame bouts or anything. Seems like a great boxer, and a great person.

Yeah his story on ESPN was ridiculous. He has refused to leave his poverty striken area and Freddie Roach doesn't even like visiting him because apparently Manny's home is just a few hundred miles from a major terrorist mainstay in the country. Manny though has a personal army.

M.O.T.H.
05-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Out cold. Ricky really is as overrated as they come. His body of work isnt anything special and he hasnt learned a damn thing. Now that he actually is fighting top fighters, he cant compete at all. I was expecting the KO but, not that early...and when we do see Pac/Mayweather. Mayweather will take it. Oh yes. By all accounts that should be the best fight in years. The De La Hoya/Mayweather hype was a joke, there is actually a reason to be excited for Pac/Mayweather. A dream fight.

tjsunstein
05-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Mayweather/De La Hoya was more promotion of the names then the actual skill sets. Oscar wanted to cash in one more time.

D-Unit
05-03-2009, 04:27 AM
Immmmpressive.

Matthew Jones
05-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Immmmpressive.

You might want to change that sig's text a little. Maybe "New England Patriot and injured stoner Brandon Tate."

Rob S
05-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Out cold. Ricky really is as overrated as they come. His body of work isnt anything special and he hasnt learned a damn thing. Now that he actually is fighting top fighters, he cant compete at all. I was expecting the KO but, not that early...and when we do see Pac/Mayweather. Mayweather will take it. Oh yes. By all accounts that should be the best fight in years. The De La Hoya/Mayweather hype was a joke, there is actually a reason to be excited for Pac/Mayweather. A dream fight.

Pac/PBF would be nothing short of tremendous.....I still lean PBF, but God damn did Pac look tremendous. He has it all......the only thing with PBF is that Pac is going to have to cut off the ring vs him, that may be a problem. If you look at Pac's recent fights most of the guys were pressure guys that weren't going to be hard to find (even Marquez isnt tough to find.....tough to hit yeah, but his strength is counter punching so he doesnt mind getting thrown at). PBF is damn near impossible to find......if Pac can show the ability to cut off the ring I will be uber impressed. That said, I could see PBF dancing circles around him for 12 rounds and just slipping, rolling, and ducking most everything Pac throws.

I agree with you to an extent about Ricky. He has really learned nothing. He is the the same fighter he was when he beat Kosta. That said, he still does own a stoppage victory over a HOF in Tszyu and has not lost to anyone other than the elite. I would argue that he can compete with the top tier, just not the absolute elite. At least for me, a top tier fighter is just a top 20 or so p4p.......I think Ricky is still that good (unless this KO killed him) he just can't beat that top 5 p4p guy that has already sured up a place in the HOF and is going to go down as one of the greatest of our generation: Hatton still is a great, unique fighter who got by on sheer ruggedness to have an amazing career. I don't think we should hate on the guy too much.

Vox Populi
05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Pacquiao will win in 10.

Donno
05-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Was Hatton okay after that hit?

MetSox17
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Was Hatton okay after that hit?

Eventually, yes.

Rob S
05-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I am hearing Cotto-Pac by December contingent upon Cotto winning vs Clottey......if its at 147 I don't like it for Pac. Won't count him out ever after tonight, but Cotto has excellent timing, an excellent jab, maybe the best body work in the sport, a very good chin and should be the way bigger man.

And please don't point to the Margo loss when discussing this because that has pretty much nothing to do with a Pac-Cotto fight.

Lionsfan93
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm still mad I bought this on PPV

Rob S
05-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm still mad I bought this on PPV

I would have been had the KAYO not been spectacular.....that was one of the best punches I remember ever seeing. It was an MMA KO with boxing gloves.

soybean
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Pac-Man is going to be great if not already great for the sport of boxing. He's going to bring it back from the death, think tiger woods to golf on a lower scale. the torch has officially been passed from de la hoya to pacquiao let's see if they could make something happen with it.

soybean
05-03-2009, 05:50 PM
now all the sport needs is a marketable heavyweight.

M.O.T.H.
05-03-2009, 07:18 PM
David Haye needs to get his face out there more and there you go.

As for a marketable American heavyweight...I'm still waiting for that guy.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Pac-Man is going to be great if not already great for the sport of boxing. He's going to bring it back from the death, think tiger woods to golf on a lower scale. the torch has officially been passed from de la hoya to pacquiao let's see if they could make something happen with it.

The problem though is he is definitely resurrecting it for boxing fans, but for casual sports fans I'm not sure he will draw in new crowds. He definitely has the fighting style to gather new fans but I don't think enough fans especially in the U.S. will know about him. He spends all of his time in his country, he doesn't speak good English so he won't have interviews and commercials in America, he won't make awards appearances, and he isn't the prettiest guy for marketing purposes. I will say though I said many of the same things about Alex Ovechkin when he was coming into the NHL.

M.O.T.H.
05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
When talking about star power, though. Mayweather was as big as they come and even he couldnt resurrect the sport. Granted, boxing was relevant again when he fought De La Hoya but, he hasnt been able to bring boxing back into the mainstream. The casual fan wants to see power/knock outs. The only real hope is that a charismatic knock out guy comes along. David Haye fits the bill but, as dumb as it sounds, the fact that he isnt an American fighter hurts just a tad. Waiting on the next Tyson pretty much. haha.

Rob S
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
When talking about star power, though. Mayweather was as big as they come and even he couldnt resurrect the sport. Granted, boxing was relevant again when he fought De La Hoya but, he hasnt been able to bring boxing back into the mainstream. The casual fan wants to see power/knock outs. The only real hope is that a charismatic knock out guy comes along. David Haye fits the bill but, as dumb as it sounds, the fact that he isnt an American fighter hurts just a tad.

You mean until he gets destroyed by Wladimir? Haha, seriously tho......I dont think he is winning that one. He talks a good game tho.

M.O.T.H.
05-03-2009, 07:58 PM
You mean until he gets destroyed by Wladimir? Haha, seriously tho......I dont think he is winning that one. He talks a good game tho.

I have my doubts as well, my friend. I sure as hell hope he wins, though. It's hard to predict because, he barely has his feet wet in the division. Smart money is on Wlad...but, I'm atleast hopeful. :D

Rob S
05-03-2009, 08:06 PM
It would be nice to get a fresh face involved thats for sure......and I really hate Chris Arreola and wish HBO would stop shoving him down our throats.

M.O.T.H.
05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, there was a reason I didnt mention Arreola when talking about a marketable american heavy weight.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
A little off topic but from last night's undercard obviously Chris Gray is crap competition but Erislandy Lara is such an intriguing prospect. Still though it was very evident that he still has lots to learn about adjusting to the pro game from amateur boxing. The body and skills are there though.

kwilk103
05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/5/4/864268/first-indicators-huge-ppv-buyrate

CNN International is reporting that preliminary numbers suggest huge PPV buys for Pacquiao-Hatton.

[E]arly indications from cable companies were that the scheduled 12-round light-welterweight bout could get as many as two million buys.

UK_Cheesehead
05-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Man this sucked to see. Expected but it still wasn't nice, Hatton had a talent and I think he could well have gone on to be elite (his last 2 losses prove he is in the tier below now) but eating garbage and drinking 8 pints of guinness a day do nothing for you as a boxer. It's a shame but I hope to god he retires now, there's no one left for him to fight.

Unless he wants to put Khan in a coma I hope he calls it a day.

Props to Manny though, the guy is just a beast and I see him destroying Mayweather Jr if they ever get at it.

Halsey
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Does every athlete need to have a nickname these days. The worst are recycled nicknames. Stop calling him Pac Man. That's lame and old. If you need to call him a nickname try something like "PacquiOW" or some shiz... :D

By the way, people who paid to see that got pwned.

M.O.T.H.
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Manny has a bunch of nicknames...but, as far as in the public's eye. Pacquiao was Pacman before anyone even knew who Adam Jones was. I know Adam got his nickname from his grandma or some jazz like that but, Manny was a professional boxer going by Pacman well before Adam Jones was even in college.

cdub11
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I watched the fight at a bar and the place was going nuts, there were a lot of people cheering for both guys so that made it fun

themaninblack
05-05-2009, 03:16 PM
By the way, people who paid to see that got pwned.

Even knowing the outcome now, I still woulda paid to see that. One of the most amazing knockouts I've seen in awhile.