PDA

View Full Version : LeGarrette Blount Suspended for the Season

BrabbitMcRabbit
05-02-2009, 09:19 PM
As a Pac-10 fan, I'm a bit shocked at all the love Blount is getting in the early 2010 lists I'm seeing on here. I think the 2010 crop of Pac-10 runners is pretty overrated for the most part. Joe McKnight is a poor man's Reggie Bush and Jahvid Best is acutely undersized with serious durability issues. But no one is more overrated than LeGarrette Blount.

Putting the impressive stats aside, his game just doesn't translate to the NFL level. He's an upright runner with a high center of gravity and poor change of direction skills. I think he's total fool's gold and a 4th-7th round pick at best.

I don't think he's one of the top 5 pro RB prospects in the conference, let alone the country. Where is all the Blount hype coming from?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I was pretty shocked when i saw him in an early 2010 mock going TOP 3. Chris Wells, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown are all much better runners than Blount and they were picked after 11. He's a good runner, but in no way top 3 and hell, I have him as a 3rd rounder right now. I don't get the love either.

foozball
05-02-2009, 09:40 PM
cuz he's big.

Brent
05-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I find it interesting. I wonder how many people here have seen more than maybe one or two Oregon games from last season. I think he's a really good RB but I wonder if he's overhyped on this forum thanks to some youtube videos.

the decider13
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
A lot of the high rankings are probably just from what people think he is capable of doing this season, much like how Michael Johnson and Fili Moala were the top 2 in most mocks before last season.

Just a guess...don't know much about Blount

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-02-2009, 09:56 PM
He's overhyped because he's 6'3 and everyone's looking for the next Brandon Jacobs which he definitely isn't.

brat316
05-02-2009, 10:44 PM
6'3...stick him at WR.

JFLO
05-03-2009, 09:47 AM
6'3...stick him at WR.

He's like 240 isn't he....more like a TE...

Anyways, I'm high on Blount (pun intended), however that is from an introductory perspective only. I think I, as well as others, need to see more from him, especially in the open field, because he's proven to be great goal line runner and north south, but I haven't seen anything of him in space.

Race for the Heisman
05-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Triangle numbers, more or less. Plus is isn't like underclassmen seriously get broken down until they declare or they aren't underclassmen anymore.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I like Bount, but not as much as others it seems, I have 5 RBs who I like more than him who could be in next year's draft, and he is right in that 6-8 level of RBs IMO. He has a lot of potential and has good measurables, which is why he is so high right now.

CroomDawgs
05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Blount is very overrated, to me the only first round prospect next year is jonathan dwyer

Cigaro
05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
As a Pac-10 fan, I'm a bit shocked at all the love Blount is getting in the early 2010 lists I'm seeing on here. I think the 2010 crop of Pac-10 runners is pretty overrated for the most part. Joe McKnight is a poor man's Reggie Bush and Jahvid Best is acutely undersized with serious durability issues. But no one is more overrated than LeGarrette Blount.

Putting the impressive stats aside, his game just doesn't translate to the NFL level. He's an upright runner with a high center of gravity and poor change of direction skills. I think he's total fool's gold and a 4th-7th round pick at best.

I don't think he's one of the top 5 pro RB prospects in the conference, let alone the country. Where is all the Blount hype coming from?

Well I guess if you forget about Tom Brady's stats, he's just an unathletic white guy.

LonghornsLegend
05-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Blount is very overrated, to me the only first round prospect next year is jonathan dwyer

What a beast, he looks like another Larry Johnson.

yourfavestoner
05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm high.....
On LIFE!

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-03-2009, 01:43 PM
. Joe McKnight is a poor man's Reggie BushNo, not really.

holt_bruce81
05-03-2009, 01:45 PM

Not even Jahvid Best?

Anywho, I've only seen Blount play a handful of times. I've Don't think he's a top 5 pick but I was impressed. Has a nice combination of Size, Moves, Athleticism and has enough speed.

superman
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
he's no jonathan stewart

RealityCheck
05-03-2009, 06:15 PM

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/bruprint/cjspiller.jpg

Brent
05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
jonathan dwyer
That guy is a human bowling ball. He's beastly.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Evan Royster scoffs at your statement...

Seriously, he is a borderline first rounder right now IMO, but I think he will solidify himself as a first rounder this season. He is jsut an all-around great RB, doesn't have a true weakness.

BrabbitMcRabbit
05-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Well I guess if you forget about Tom Brady's stats, he's just an unathletic white guy.

Right, because every productive college player becomes a Pro Bowler.

BrabbitMcRabbit
05-03-2009, 06:52 PM
No, not really.

You're right, that was an insult to Reggie.

McKnight is a poor man's Jahvid Best, who's himself a poor man's Reggie Bush.

RealityCheck
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Seriously, he is a borderline first rounder right now IMO, but I think he will solidify himself as a first rounder this season. He is jsut an all-around great RB, doesn't have a true weakness.

Royster isn't even a first day pick in my opinion.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Royster isn't even a first day pick in my opinion.

Why do you say that?

He is a lot like Donald Brown and he was a first round pick this year. I know next year is deeper, but I think Royster is better than Brown and is a very balanced runner, who can fit in any offensive system, and is a hard runner whose feet never stop, and is a proven workhorse who doesn't fumble too much. Great vision and toughness, good quickness and patience. Is a good receiver with good hands. Has good speed (not elite by any means, I'll admit) but will have break-away runs, not common though. He has all the measurables as well. I've seen all his games and he is a top RB prospect IMO.

I only ask why you say that because if you haven't see a lot of him you may be underrating him a bit.

thebow305
05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
.....Because he's awesome! (Duh) :)

tolnaballa
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I think we should give him a year as a full time starter carrying the load before we determine. Overall his attributes look great. I would put him top 5 for sure. He has agility for his size.

TACKLE
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I find it interesting. I wonder how many people here have seen more than maybe one or two Oregon games from last season. I think he's a really good RB but I wonder if he's overhyped on this forum thanks to some youtube videos.

I'll take the fall/credit for the YouTube videos. Living on the west coast, I have seen Oregon play several times and I always came away very impressed with Blount. I felt he was under utilized at Oregon and he was still able to put up impressive production. He definitely has rare physical tools but I also love how he runs. He does run upright but he also runs very hard, has great balance and has a rare mix of power and finesse. Now in no way do I think he should be a Top 3-5 pick. But I think Top 15 is a definitely possibility if he continues to show improvement. Now in no way am I putting him near AD's level, but he does remind me of a poor-man's Adrian Peterson who is bigger. So yeah, if he is being viewed as a Top 5 pick, then yes, he is being over-hyped. If you think he's being over hyped as a potential Top 20 pick and #1 RB in next years draft, then I got a problem with that.

Menardo75
05-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Blount is still pretty raw he has the talent to be a first round pick though. It will be fun to watch and see how he improves this year.

CroomDawgs
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Not even Jahvid Best?

Anywho, I've only seen Blount play a handful of times. I've Don't think he's a top 5 pick but I was impressed. Has a nice combination of Size, Moves, Athleticism and has enough speed.

Best is pretty undersized I think he will be a first rounder in the end because of his speed and someone will take him but I think he's more second round worthy

CroomDawgs
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/bruprint/cjspiller.jpg

CJ spiller is completely overrated. He has some of the worst vision in a running back I've seen. He runs straight ahead and doesn't find the holes at all.

CroomDawgs
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM

Royster is my number 3 running back I didn't see a whole lot of him last season but from watching youtube he seems like a guy who is solid in every area not spectacular in one though.

vatech=accdomination
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Blount's hype is all based of athleticism, he will fall come next season.

eaglesalltheway
05-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Royster is my number 3 running back I didn't see a whole lot of him last season but from watching youtube he seems like a guy who is solid in every area not spectacular in one though.

That is exactly it, he truly doesn't have weaknesses. One thing he excells in is traffic, he always maximizes his runs and will breat tackles because hit foot speed is so quick and he never stops pumping his feet. That is the only area where he is truly excellentm but he is above average in basically every aspect of a RB.

Ozzy
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Very good question, I think it is the Brandon Jacobs factor. People love that big powerful running back, yet I do not believe Blount is the athlete Jacobs is or was in college. Everyone thought TJ Duckett was a freak, I loved him in college but simply put big men like Jacobs do not have Jacob's speed...Blount is interesting but yeah but is not the #1 RB prospect in the nation, no way.

Mr. Hero
05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Very good question, I think it is the Brandon Jacobs factor. People love that big powerful running back, yet I do not believe Blount is the athlete Jacobs is or was in college. Everyone thought TJ Duckett was a freak, I loved him in college but simply put big men like Jacobs do not have Jacob's speed...Blount is interesting but yeah but is not the #1 RB prospect in the nation, no way.

People forget Jacobs ran a 4.4 40, not flat but I don't remember the exact number so w/e. BJ is fast as **** for a dude with his size.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-04-2009, 09:10 PM
CJ spiller is completely overrated. He has some of the worst vision in a running back I've seen. He runs straight ahead and doesn't find the holes at all.

His vision isn't bad at all.

CroomDawgs
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
His vision isn't bad at all.

Really, so that wake forest game where I counted 12 times he ran straight ahead and just went down, that was a mirage?

tEk
05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
im not high on blount although im verry high on cann i. bus

Race for the Heisman
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
People forget Jacobs ran a 4.4 40, not flat but I don't remember the exact number so w/e. BJ is fast as **** for a dude with his size.

Combine time according to wiki is 4.56. I won't argue the guy isn't fast when he gets moving, but I don't think his 10 yard split would be that great just based on watching him play. As far as Blount, I can't really say as I am just another one of those guys relying on YouTube videos, but he's got the the triangle numbers in all likelihood assuming he runs 4.55 or better.

LonghornsLegend
05-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Sounds like another Julius Jones.

Mr. Hero
05-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Combine time according to wiki is 4.56. I won't argue the guy isn't fast when he gets moving, but I don't think his 10 yard split would be that great just based on watching him play. As far as Blount, I can't really say as I am just another one of those guys relying on YouTube videos, but he's got the the triangle numbers in all likelihood assuming he runs 4.55 or better.

Really? That's surprising, guess he ran the 4.4 at his pro-day. huh. You're right BJ isn't the best at accelerating to full speed but he has a very good top speed for a man of those proportions.

BigBanger
05-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Really? That's surprising, guess he ran the 4.4 at his pro-day. huh.
Of course he did. Everyone does.

lordquas
05-05-2009, 09:19 AM
yeah im a high as hell, but i don't like all this Blount hatred up in here..
He reminds me of Michael Bush, pre-injury days back at Louisville.
Michael Bush was real nice if you guys remember.
He's light on his feet for a dude his size, He has a nice blend of power and speed and can do work just like Jonathan Stewart.
He's good, real good, hell I'd take him on the Ravens

BrabbitMcRabbit
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I think he's a bust if he goes as high as the pundits project him (but he'll probably be a 4th-7th rounder when it's all said and done). High center of gravity. No lateral movement. Doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Jonathan Stewart (woops).

thebow305
05-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Hmmm.... A 6'2" 240 lb running back with 4.5 speed, that ran for 1,000 yards and 17 TD's as a backup.

You do the math. :)

lordquas
05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
LaGarrette Blount >>>>>>> Donald Brown.

and he got drafted maaaad high

TankDogg
05-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I think he's a bust if he goes as high as the pundits project him (but he'll probably be a 4th-7th rounder when it's all said and done). High center of gravity. No lateral movement. Doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Jonathan Stewart (woops).
Well I guess he had no moves on this run right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dukli3OCVrI&feature=PlayList&p=8E085124B0260A77&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

When you evaluate a player it would probaly be better if you would actually watch all his highlight's or maybe watch him play. Dwyer's the best back in the nation but Blount is second.

KCJ58
05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
did you see the Holiday Bowl or the Oregon State game

Paranoidmoonduck
05-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't know, I think Blount absolutely belongs in the same range as Jonathan Stewart, if maybe a little below for right now. Granted, I wasn't the biggest fan of Stewart, but the truth is that neither of them were apt to create their own yardage, especially in that Oregon Spread.

Staubach12
05-16-2009, 04:51 PM
This RB class is so up in the air right now, I'm not even going to start ranking until much later. I think we will have a clear cut #1 RB, but at this point, we just have to wait and see who rises to the top.

On the subject of Blount, I think a lot of the hype is about his combination of size and quickness. People fall in love with the fact that he's 240 and that burst. I want to see consistency, and I want to see versatility. That may be tough in that system, though.

oregonbucfan
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
did you see the Holiday Bowl or the Oregon State game

Yep I was at both.

Ive watched every game of his. The guy will be a very good back who can split carries. Every down back? No.

Lets just see what he does this year, a new OL, and the majority of the carries. I feel like if/when he does well he will lock himself in the 1st rd.

oregonbucfan
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Blount's hype is all based of athleticism, he will fall come next season.

His stats say otherwise

CC.SD
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Why is everyone so high on Blount, ahahaha that is hilarious.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Laron LAndry thinks Brandon Jacobs should be in Canton right now!!

Evan Royster will be a great pro and is going to put up huge numbers for PSU this season if he can avoid injuries.

If the Trojans hadn't bitched him to the sidelines in the Rose Bowl, that game would have been much more interesting.

mellojello
07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
You're right, that was an insult to Reggie.

McKnight is a poor man's Jahvid Best, who's himself a poor man's Reggie Bush.Javid Best has Bush's speed, change of direction, catching ability, but runs inside the tackles better like Joe McKight. Besides all of them having a similar height/weight, none are run similar to each other at all.

Staubach12
07-21-2009, 10:09 PM

I like Dwyer, but I like other guys in the first, too. My rankings go:

1. DeMarco Murray
2. CJ Spiller
3. Jonathan Dwyer
4. Joe McKnight
5. Charles Scott
6. Jahvid Best

Paranoidmoonduck
07-22-2009, 02:17 AM
What's the logic for having Spiller that high? He definitely shouldn't be above Dwyer, nor should McKnight be above Best (who, realistically, as earned a spot as the most promising speed back over both Spiller and McKnight).

Foosballphan
07-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Haven't seen much of Blount but what I did see I liked, I did however notice he's ranked highly in this article http://www.footballoutsiders.com/varsity-numbers/2009/varsity-numbers-introducing-poe . I have seen Evan Royster quite a bit and what most impresses me are is feet and his balance. He keeps going forward even after a big hit if he isn't wrapped up well, he most reminds me of Matt Forte. Not sure where he'll go in the draft but I expect him to do okay in the NFL.

Staubach12
07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
What's the logic for having Spiller that high? He definitely shouldn't be above Dwyer, nor should McKnight be above Best (who, realistically, as earned a spot as the most promising speed back over both Spiller and McKnight).

I like Spiller, especially because he's built like a little tank. Very compact. That scares me a little about McKnight and Best, they're bth not quite as big. These rankings are thrown together right now, and not final at all, by the way. I never begin to rank players officially until a few weeks into the season.

Malaka
07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I like Spiller, especially because he's built like a little tank. Very compact. That scares me a little about McKnight and Best, they're bth not quite as big. These rankings are thrown together right now, and not final at all, by the way. I never begin to rank players officially until a few weeks into the season.

But Spiller has very limited vision which is really important in a runningback.

Best is the best all-around out of the 3, he has the speed, the vision, the agility, and the toughness to run it up the middle, I'd like to see him bulk up a little but that's all he need to do without losing any speed.

My list is as his of this moment is...
1a. Jonathon Dwyer
1b. Jahvid Best
2. DeMarco Murray
3. CJ Spiller
4. Charles Scott
5. Joe McKnight

TACKLE
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
I see a lot of people have McKnight in their top 5 but he's not even the best running back on his team. Stafon Johnson is a more reliable RB and will be a better draft prospect. McKnight is talented but he's still living off his high school/'08 Rose Bowl(Illinois) hype. Johnson is 5'11 215 and is a very natural runner. He is very well rounded back who has very good vision, is fastest to break long runs, can run inside and out and can also block. Now I like McKinght but he's smallish but doesn't have elite speed and had only 89 carries last year. He still needs to show a lot before he's a Top 5 back in any draft class.

Malaka
07-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I see a lot of people have McKnight in their top 5 but he's not even the best running back on his team. Stafon Johnson is a more reliable RB and will be a better draft prospect. McKnight is talented but he's still living off his high school/'08 Rose Bowl(Illinois) hype. Johnson is 5'11 215 and is a very natural runner. He is very well rounded back who has very good vision, is fastest to break long runs, can run inside and out and can also block. Now I like McKinght but he's smallish but doesn't have elite speed and had only 89 carries last year. He still needs to show a lot before he's a Top 5 back in any draft class.

Maybe you're right about McKnight but I don't really like Stafon Johnson either, I'd take Blount or even Gerhart before him, Johnson is just too average all-around and reminds of a James Davis who went in the 6th. McKnight has a shiftyness about him, that I like, and is also quite good out of the backfield.

Staubach12
07-26-2009, 02:26 AM
On the subject of Blount, I just watched some tape and I think the reason he gets flack is that he's a bit of a clumsy runner. He doesn't place his feet as precisely as people like Best of or Spiller. What you can't overlook is his determination with the ball in his hands. He doesn't change directions extremely well, but he fights hard. You also have to take into account how little Blount's offense did creatively to get him the ball. Jahvid Best, and other prospects, are on teams that will do anything to get the ball in their hands, even if that means motions screens or hook and ladders. Their teams do that for them. The Oregon offense, on the other hand, is much more traditional getting Blount the ball.

I think Blount has tons of potential to be an NFL back, he just needs to work on change of direction, and then do it big this year. I'm cautiously optimistic about his quality as a prospect.

Mr. Stiller
07-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like another Julius Jones.

CJ Spiller = Willie Parker.

mellojello
07-26-2009, 09:59 PM
CJ Spiller = Willie Parker.Jahvid Best = Steve Slaton/Chris Johnson

Staubach12
08-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Well, I hadn't seen a ton of Dwyer, having only seen him play in three games, and I just saw a little more of him (highlights, but from the draftparty YouTube channel) and I was beyond impressed. I'll have to keep a close eye on him.

Me Likey Rookies
08-02-2009, 03:49 AM
There is something about Dwyer's running form and strides that I dont like but when you can go that fast at 230 lbs, you are talented. He reminds me of Travis Henry.

I reaaallllyy love Demarco Murray too. Does anyone know how his recovery from injury went?

duckseason
08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
On the subject of Blount, I just watched some tape and I think the reason he gets flack is that he's a bit of a clumsy runner. He doesn't place his feet as precisely as people like Best of or Spiller. What you can't overlook is his determination with the ball in his hands. He doesn't change directions extremely well, but he fights hard. You also have to take into account how little Blount's offense did creatively to get him the ball. Jahvid Best, and other prospects, are on teams that will do anything to get the ball in their hands, even if that means motions screens or hook and ladders. Their teams do that for them. The Oregon offense, on the other hand, is much more traditional getting Blount the ball.

I think Blount has tons of potential to be an NFL back, he just needs to work on change of direction, and then do it big this year. I'm cautiously optimistic about his quality as a prospect.

I think that's a pretty fair and accurate assessment.

mellojello
08-23-2009, 10:52 PM
But Spiller has very limited vision which is really important in a runningback.

Best is the best all-around out of the 3, he has the speed, the vision, the agility, and the toughness to run it up the middle, I'd like to see him bulk up a little but that's all he need to do without losing any speed.

My list is as his of this moment is...
1a. Jonathon Dwyer
1b. Jahvid Best
2. DeMarco Murray
3. CJ Spiller
4. Charles Scott
5. Joe McKnightI got a chuckle out of your 1a/1b - point taken. I'm torn between Dwyer and Best as the top two RB's too. Best's explosion is special, but Dwyer has a similar game while having power. Dwyer reminds me of Marshawn Lynch. Picking between the two is is like saying, which color is better, blue or green? With that being said, I also give Dwyer the slight edge right now too.

mellojello
08-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Very good question, I think it is the Brandon Jacobs factor. People love that big powerful running back, yet I do not believe Blount is the athlete Jacobs is or was in college. Everyone thought TJ Duckett was a freak, I loved him in college but simply put big men like Jacobs do not have Jacob's speed...Blount is interesting but yeah but is not the #1 RB prospect in the nation, no way.Agreed, most people are overly obsessed with size and that's not just true with football, but many sports.

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Certainly, swinging at a member of the other team after a loss is not going to help Blount's draft stock any.

It was a pretty good punch, but you're not supposed to do that.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-04-2009, 12:28 AM
blount already had issues at oregon. might be headed to a d1-aa team near you

but damn if that wasnt one hell of a punch

thetedginnshow
09-04-2009, 12:29 AM
UFC here we come.

thebow305
09-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I <3 LaGarrette Blount.

That guy had it coming. And got
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=4904,filename=pwned-funny2.jpg

etk
09-04-2009, 12:39 AM
CJ Spiller = Willie Parker.

Totally agree.

There is something about Dwyer's running form and strides that I dont like but when you can go that fast at 230 lbs, you are talented. He reminds me of Travis Henry.

I reaaallllyy love Demarco Murray too. Does anyone know how his recovery from injury went?

Agree about Dwyer. I don't remember how Henry runs though so idk.

LOOOVE DeMarco Murray. Thanks to a few videos you posted of some OU games I never saw of course.....he's one of the most elusive backs I've ever seen. He's a rich man's Reggie Bush.

It's funny cuz I usually don't go for the "speed" backs but I love Murray, Spiller and Best.

Blount: Didn't see the punch...I guess I'll wait for a replay. I missed posting in this thread but I thought I'd comment on the OP....

I don't find Blount impressive at all. He runs upright, but worst of all he has awkward feet and no agility. He's stiff and can't change directions. He's truly one of the weirdest runners I've ever seen. He's like a fat version of Darren McFadden.

Some team will fall in the love with his size and take him early....no doubt. Good luck with that.

therock6000
09-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Totally agree.

Agree about Dwyer. I don't remember how Henry runs though so idk.

LOOOVE DeMarco Murray. Thanks to a few videos you posted of some OU games I never saw of course.....he's one of the most elusive backs I've ever seen. He's a rich man's Reggie Bush.

It's funny cuz I usually don't go for the "speed" backs but I love Murray, Spiller and Best.

Blount: Didn't see the punch...I guess I'll wait for a replay. I missed posting in this thread but I thought I'd comment on the OP....

I don't find Blount impressive at all. He runs upright, but worst of all he has awkward feet and no agility. He's stiff and can't change directions. He's truly one of the weirdest runners I've ever seen. He's like a fat version of Darren McFadden.

Some team will fall in the love with his size and take him early....no doubt. Good luck with that.

After tonight, highly doubt that a team will take him early...

YAYareaRB
09-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Blount in the Ultimate Fighter 11

etk
09-04-2009, 12:45 AM

Again...I didn't see the punch.

But Al Davis still runs a scouting department....

TACKLE
09-04-2009, 12:59 AM

If that's the case, he's going to be a big time steal.

thebow305
09-04-2009, 01:03 AM
If that's the case, he's going to be a big time steal.

Agreed. ;)

D-Unit
09-04-2009, 01:08 AM
I didn't see anything special from him tonight. I was expecting to see the second coming of Jonathan Stewart. I saw him take a safety in the endzone though. lol.

TACKLE
09-04-2009, 01:11 AM
I didn't see anything special from him tonight. I was expecting to see the second coming of Jonathan Stewart. I saw him take a safety in the endzone though. lol.

I think your expectations were too high to start off with. Also it's not fair to judge him just off this one game. He had very few carries with Oregon abandonning the run game far too early. Also there were no holes all night. I'd still keep an open mind about Blount as a pro prospect.

iBoldin
09-04-2009, 01:13 AM
I think your expectations were too high to start off with. Also it's not fair to judge him just off this one game. He had very few carries with Oregon abandonning the run game far too early. Also there were no holes all night. I'd still keep an open mind about Blount as a pro prospect.

This. + Rep.

Not that giving him 5 new starters on the offensive line is helping either. I think we will see LaGarette rise above this and cement himself as a solid day one prospect.

edgrenade
09-04-2009, 01:18 AM
This. + Rep.

Not that giving him 5 new starters on the offensive line is helping either. I think we will see LaGarette rise above this and cement himself as a solid day one prospect.

that is if he gets to play this year...

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Also it's not fair to judge him just off this one game.

While I agree with you that it's not fair to judge him off of this one game, this game may be all we get to judge him on this season as his post-game activities are the sort of things that get you kicked off a team. His position is particularly tenuous, as he's playing under a new HC who might want to establish a tone and set a precedent against that sort of thing.

iBoldin
09-04-2009, 01:26 AM
that is if he gets to play this year...

I suppose. I haven't had a real good 5 or so looks at the incident, just twice. We'll see.

holt_bruce81
09-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Does everyone think He'll be kicked off Oregon?

I still see him getting drafted. I mean is this any worse than Brandon Meriweather stomping on a dude a few years ago. Didn't really seem to hurt his stock at all.

Hurricanes25
09-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Does everyone think He'll be kicked off Oregon?

I still see him getting drafted. I mean is this any worse than Brandon Meriweather stomping on a dude a few years ago. Didn't really seem to hurt his stock at all.

I dont think he'll be kicked off the team but I do expect them to suspend him for a few games.

keylime_5
09-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Looks like Blount's stock is on the rise after tonight eh?

TACKLE
09-04-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't think Blount his playing in the best offnes for his skillset. If he was playing in offense where he was lined up beind the QB whether that be in an I-form, single back, or anything like that where he could be even more effective. He would excellent downhill runner with his rare combination of size and speed and abiltiy to break tackles. This is part of the I think he can be a successful RB in the NFL because he will be used in a way that better suits his skillset.

mellojello
09-04-2009, 05:03 AM
I have to give it up to Blount: he promised an ass whooping and well, that's exactly what he delivered...

eaglesalltheway
09-04-2009, 06:46 AM
I didn't see the game, looked at the clip of the punch. Two things... 1, Blount is in a ****load of trouble, no matter what. 2, that player, Hout, has a glass jaw, but Blount hit him right in the sweet spot, so take that for what its worth. Certainly not the best shot i've seen anyone throw.

Also, Hout kind of looks like the type of guy that deserves soemthign like this, was rpolly rubbing the loss in his face, but what I find the most interesting is his teammates reaction, or lack of reaction. Probably not the most respected guy in the locker room, because if that was anybody those teammates cared about. Blount would have taken about 20 shots before anybody would have gotten to him.

FUNBUNCHER
09-04-2009, 07:22 AM
I heard that Blount has been suspended from Oregon's program before, so we'll see how this incident develops. Unless he has a bang-up season, assuming he's not booted off the team, I think Blount hurt himself heading into the draft.

This assumes the kid doesn't have an excellent pro day at Eugene, but for someone like myself who watched Blount play last night for the first time, it was not a good first impression.

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Also, Hout kind of looks like the type of guy that deserves soemthign like this, was rpolly rubbing the loss in his face, but what I find the most interesting is his teammates reaction, or lack of reaction. Probably not the most respected guy in the locker room, because if that was anybody those teammates cared about.

Considering how the Boise state coach reacted, I would have to guess that Hout said something very unacceptable, considering that the coach shoved him, practically tackling him right away, before Blount took the shot. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a racial epithet thrown in there.

That being said, though, no matter what the guy says off the field you're not supposed to deck him, and then you're certainly not supposed to get into it with the opposing fans to the point that you need to be dragged off the field by police and security. There's very little that one could say that would justify that behavior.

eaglesalltheway
09-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Considering how the Boise state coach reacted, I would have to guess that Hout said something very unacceptable, considering that the coach shoved him, practically tackling him right away, before Blount took the shot. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a racial epithet thrown in there.

That being said, though, no matter what the guy says off the field you're not supposed to deck him, and then you're certainly not supposed to get into it with the opposing fans to the point that you need to be dragged off the field by police and security. There's very little that one could say that would justify that behavior.

Definitely agree with you there, you just can't do what Blount did, its unacceptable now in these days. Now looking at what he actually did, he took a shot at a guys head and knocked the guy down. In some ways I wish we lived back in the 50s and 60s, in which case this wouldn't be a huge deal at all. But I understand that even though these guys aren't professionals, they are in public eye too much to conduct themselves like this, especially because a lot of people are overly sensitive about things like this. I'd like to think I could control myself if I were in Blount's situation, but I don't know what Hout said to him or what the fans may have done after the punch, but I think I'd be able to control myself, especially if I was in a position where I knew I had a lot to lose.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the incident in itself isn't particularly horrible, and I can understand getting upset, but Blount should have handled it differently.

P-L
09-04-2009, 08:12 AM
He definitely lost a whole lot of money with that swing.

wicket
09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
the swing wasnt the only thing worrying me, the long time it took him to regain control was the thing that bothered me most probably. Also like i said in the gameday thread. The way he ran his mouth in the period before the game in combination with his appaling performance actually sort of warranted some taunting imo.

Jimmy
09-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I think he'll get at least a season suspension, if not kicked off the team. He certainly deserves to be kicked off the team. That's just flat out assault, if that happened off the field he would be getting minimum a few games anyways, but it was public and on national tv and it was after a bad loss.

wonderbredd24
09-04-2009, 09:57 AM
If Hout threw a racial slur at Blount, who is already pissed about losing the game and playing terribly, it was essentially "Messin' with Sasquatch"

If all of that was true, I hope they do not throw the book at Blount, but the fact he just could not get any iota of control after that is extremely concerning and will hurt his case, especially when he tries to go after fans

Scott Wright
09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
What an ugly scene that was...

I am keeping Blount where I initially had him in my rankings for the time being to avoid a knee-jerk overreaction but I think it's safe to say Blount's stock took a MAJOR hit last night.

wicket
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
What an ugly scene that was...

I am keeping Blount where I initially had him in my rankings for the time being to avoid a knee-jerk overreaction but I think it's safe to say Blount's stock took a MAJOR hit last night.

yeah -0.6 yards a carry makes ND running numbers look good
Oh you were talking about him hitting a guy

RufusMcDaniel
09-04-2009, 10:14 AM
That punch probably moved Blount to the top of my draft board.

FUNBUNCHER
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
If Hout threw a racial slur at Blount, who is already pissed about losing the game and playing terribly, it was essentially "Messin' with Sasquatch"

If all of that was true, I hope they do not throw the book at Blount, but the fact he just could not get any iota of control after that is extremely concerning and will hurt his case, especially when he tries to go after fans

If there's no evidence a player used a racial epithet against another, IMO it's highly reckless and irresponsible to assume that it was the motive for non-football related violence.

I hate hearing that, "well, he probably called x player a n@@@@r, so he deserved it," defense.

Hout wasn't even talking to Blount when the blow was thrown.

IMO Blount punked out because he looked like a bench-warming scrub in the first nationally televised game of the 2009 season.

Players are expected to talk trash after a win against a BCS program, but racial slurs shouldn't be the default excuse for poor behavior by some players.

wonderbredd24
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
If there's no evidence a player used a racial epithet against another, IMO it's highly reckless and irresponsible to assume that it was the motive for non-football related violence.

I hate hearing that, "well, he probably called x player a n@@@@r, so he deserved it," defense.

Hout wasn't even talking to Blount when the blow was thrown.

IMO Blount punked out because he looked like a bench-warming scrub in the first nationally televised game of the 2009 season.

Players are expected to talk trash after a win against a BCS program, but racial slurs shouldn't be the default excuse for poor behavior by some players.

Hout wasn't talking to him before the punch? Really, because his mouth was moving and his coach was trying to get him to stop before he got hit. And then after he got hit, Coach Peterson was yelling at Hout, not Blount. Something was going on there.

Edit: Hout actually stops him to talk to him. The coach claims he did not hear what Hout said, but is saying it takes two to tango

Scott Wright
09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Words are no excuse for Blount's actions. Professional athletes are going to be verbally harassed by fans, that's just the way it is. He needs to control himself.

FUNBUNCHER
09-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I mean Hout's head was turned, wonderbredd. He had no idea BLount was about to sucker punch him.

There are a million things I can imagine a Boise State football player saying to a Pac 10 player from Oregon after cinching a huge victory that don't include racial invectives.

"Hey Blount, you're a running back?? You can't run your nose."
"Hey Blount, the only person who would draft you after tonight is your grandmomma."
" Hey Blount, you guys play in the Pac 10?? More like the P@@@y 10!!"

And so on....

georgiafan
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
To me him throwing the punch isn't as important as having to get 3 guys to keep him under control several minutes after it happend.

wonderbredd24
09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
To me him throwing the punch isn't as important as having to get 3 guys to keep him under control several minutes after it happend.

It's all bad, but I agree with you. The worst is when he tries to go after the fans.

P-L
09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Him charging the fans taunting him in the stands was just as concerning, if not more, than the punch.

princefielder28
09-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I wasn't as high on Blount as some on here coming into the season and last night's performance during and following the game just validates all my concerns with him. He obviously is a young man who has problems keeping his mouth shut and controlling his emotions. If I were a GM or scouting director I would completely remove him from consideration because the road isn't going to get any easier and teams can go without players like this even if they hold talent.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Blount is an absolute idiot. He sucked in the game and sucked at carrying himself after the game. Necessary action must be made by the NCAA. Kid doesn't deserve a 2nd chance. At the same time I won't feel bad for Hout. I'm sure he said something, even if not racial, something taunting because they won and shut him down. He was being a sore winner probably so while Blount had no business punching him, I'm glad Hout got sucker punched. Probably teach him to become a more classy winner.

mellojello
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure of of his NFL potential, but I'd like to one of those youtube backyard-type fights between Kimbo Slice & LeGarrette Blount.

wicket
09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
can a mod change the thread title to "Why was ......"

the decider13
09-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Him charging the fans taunting him in the stands was just as concerning, if not more, than the punch.

Definately agree there, I think that charging the fans was more concerning. If there hadn't been someone their to grab him, they'd be bailing Blount out of jail today.

ElectricEye
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
He's done in college football. That must is almost a given. Bone head move. I agree with the sentiment of charging the fans being a bigger deal. That's just absolutely inexcusable. Granted, the fans shouldn't have been getting in his face like that and could have said some horrible things(even though it was mostly his own fault for doing what he did) there's still no forgiveness. If Oregon doesn't give him the boot, then the conference probably will.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Yeah the charging of the fans is way worst. As an opponent you'd expect them to have some class which Hout didn't but as a player you go into every stadium with fans yelling racial slurs, talking about your dead parents, etc., but you have to deal with it. If players reacted every time an idiot fan said something racial or personal they'dall be in jail.

Saints-Tigers
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Does Blount have a troubled history?

D-Unit
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Does Blount have a troubled history?
He was not permitted to practice with the team for academic reasons.

I'm always of the thought that talent supercedes character, but in this guys case... I don't see enough talent to outweight the problems.

RaiderNation
09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
The punch was one thing, but the real thing thats turns me off to him was going after the crowd. That alone took him off my draft board

stephenson86
09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
gotta be said, he should be let off for having such a **** punch

jnew76
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree with some of the people in this thread that the punch in itself was not the determining factor in whether or not Blount should be gone from the team.

I would never condone throwing a punch, but could understand that it was in a sense a "crime of passion" and a reaction to the taunt... but the continued pushing, punching, and attacking show that Blount has serious anger and control problems that are inexcuseable and would lead me to kick him off the team.

For the punch alone, I would have suspended him, but the rest of the stuff would give me no choice but to give him the boot if I was coaching.

Babylon
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
This is Oregon so it doesnt surprise me. Cant see it happening with an Urban Meyer team or a Pete Carroll team. Heck i dont think he would have had the balls to do it if Bellotti were coaching.

KCJ58
09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Oregon suspends Blount for season good, but i still think he'll be good NFL RB in 3-4 years

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4446898

Babylon
09-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Oregon suspends Blount for season good but i think he'll be good NFL RB in 3-4 years

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4446898

That surprises me a little, didnt think they had the cahones to do that. Maybe Sharpton and Jesse can weigh in.

There is not going to be any interest in this thug at the NFL level. They've learned their lessons with the Lawrence Phillips and Pacman Jones of the world and this guy isnt that good.

JT Jag
09-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Oregon suspended Blount for the season, and I understand that.

If I were Oregon I would have suspended him indefinitely, for a minimum of 6 weeks. Possiblity to rejoin the team if he keeps perfect behavior.

And if I were Boise State, I'd suspend Hout for one week, because he definately said something that was unsportsmanlike.

Babylon
09-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Oregon suspended Blount for the season, and I understand that.

If I were Oregon I would have suspended him indefinitely, for a minimum of 6 weeks. Possiblity to rejoin the team if he keeps perfect behavior.

And if I were Boise State, I'd suspend Hout for one week, because he definately said something that was unsportsmanlike.

You dont know what he did or didnt say. Someone uses the defense,"someone said something to me", and the judge usually says, "will the guilty party please rise".

Saints-Tigers
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
He was not permitted to practice with the team for academic reasons.

I'm always of the thought that talent supercedes character, but in this guys case... I don't see enough talent to outweight the problems.

I agree, but I don't know much about Blount off the field, could be a one time issue.

Hard to condemn someone for life for something like this, until these things start to pile up.

D-Unit
09-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I agree, but I don't know much about Blount off the field, could be a one time issue.

Hard to condemn someone for life for something like this, until these things start to pile up.
It's pretty clear from his rant (that he continued to stir well after the incident) that he has major "issues". Security, coaches and teammates were all trying to hold him back... and were having a hard time. I mean, it's one thing to hit a guy and then quickly realize the bad you just did and then walk off. But this guy was an uncontrallable wreak. If nobody held him back, he probably would've been in jail today with people seriously hurt.

It's really not hard to put into perspective the kind of effect this will have on his draft stock. He'll forever be known for this incident. Even when he's drafted, I guarantee this will be brought up over and over again.

You say it's hard to condemn someone for this, but it really isn't. I'm sure he'll get past it... well... not totally sure... but I think. This wasn't criminal, but if you share the same logic... People do criminal things all the time that are just "one time incidents" and they are forever marked. Where is the fine line that distignuishes what he did with other minor crimes? It's an interesting question...

ie. If you get caught for stealing, you're not necessarily a thief forever. But if you murder, you are. Gotta love where the line is drawn.

Cicero
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
The first thing I thought of after seeing that punch was this thread haha. He may have just thrown away his shot at an NFL career.

Shahin
09-04-2009, 06:07 PM
white dude definitely deserved the punch in the face. if he hadn't went off on the fans then i don't think he'd be suspended the whole year.

Hurricanes25
09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
white dude definitely deserved the punch in the face. if he hadn't went off on the fans then i don't think he'd be suspended the whole year.

I think he got suspended for punching the guy in the face, not for going off on the fans.

Thumper
09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I think that the Boise State guy had it coming and I really don't think that this will hurt his shot at an NFL Career. I mean really? This is a one time thing as of now and he is incredibly talented. Sure he will slide in the draft, but will a sucker punch really keep him out of the NFL? I don't think so.

Babylon
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I think he got suspended for punching the guy in the face, not for going off on the fans.

I agree, if he hadnt punched the guy and did the whole hold me back thing with the fans it wouldnt have gotten any press at all. How dumb is this guy to do this basically in front of the whole world to see?. You'd expect it on the streets of Eugene at night but on national TV.

D-Unit
09-04-2009, 07:26 PM
His college career is OVER.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2009/09/oregons_legarrette_blount_susp.html

Oregon suspends RB LeGarrette Blount for season after punching Boise State player

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — Star running back LeGarrette Blount won't play for Oregon again this year. The school suspended him on Friday for the remainder of season after he slugged Boise State defensive end Byron Hout.

Blount threw the punch Thursday night following the 16th-ranked Ducks' 19-8 loss to No. 14 Boise State.

As Boise State began celebrating on their famous blue turf, Hout yelled in Blount's face and tapped him on the shoulder pad. Before Broncos head coach Chris Petersen could pull Hout away, Blount landed a right to Hout's jaw, knocking him to his knees.

Blount also had to be restrained by police officers from fans heckling him on the way to the locker room.

"Football at the University of Oregon is a privilege, and with that privilege goes responsibilities," said coach Chip Kelly.

Foosballphan
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Remember kids assault and battery is permitted for 60 minutes not 62. I think it's ridiculous that we expect football players to act like warriors on the field and act shocked when we find out some of them are psychopaths. Not saying Blount was justified just don't be so f***ing surprised. I don't know exactly what the Boise State player said but if you can read lips at all the last word was definitely whuppin', so he was throwing LeGarrette's comment about owing BS an ass whuppin' back at him. Stupidity by both parties but I'm hardly shocked. I agree the more worrisome part was how long it took him to regain control and how he reacted to other players and the fans.

Shane P. Hallam
09-04-2009, 08:04 PM
He basically ruined his life with that. It is over.

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Remember kids assault and battery is permitted for 60 minutes not 62. I think it's ridiculous that we expect football players to act like warriors on the field and act shocked when we find out some of them are psychopaths.

What he did after the game was certainly not acceptable during the game either. If he has the wherewithal to not punch people who are hitting him during the game, he probably ought to have the restraint to avoid doing so after the game.

Seamus2602
09-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I think that the Boise State guy had it coming and I really don't think that this will hurt his shot at an NFL Career. I mean really? This is a one time thing as of now and he is incredibly talented. Sure he will slide in the draft, but will a sucker punch really keep him out of the NFL? I don't think so.

The major problem is that a lot of people already had worries about him. He's a big, slow back, who will pound the Football. He had off the field problems before this, and was suspended by his team for part of the Offseason. Add this, especially the way Goodell is cracking down on people and teams could shy away.

I put out a mock today and had Blount at the bottom of the 3rd Round. Let's just say if I had put out the mock tomorrow then he wouldn't have been there. He won't play all season, he's next time to showcase himself will be the Combine (and with him being a huge Running Back he won't dominate the combine which is measured more in terms of Speed).

I feel Blount will definately be with an NFL team next year, I just don't know when he will get drafted, if he even gets drafted. He's just cost himself a helluva lot of money with that punch.

Though it is worse that Byron Hout hasn't been punished by Boise State. He will be counselled by the coaching staff but not banned for any games. Considering he started it shouldn't he get at least some of the flak for it.

Anyway, the whole thing gives new meaning to a Running Back punching through the Defensive Line.

NotRickJames
09-04-2009, 08:30 PM
You know, I reckon if he had only punched the Hout he would at least avoid a full-season ban. But punching his own teammate? Being restrained by the police? Fighting the fans? If it was just the punch in the heat of the moment, he'd of been better off....but he dragged the show on.

Still, I think this talk about his chances at the NFL being gone is bollocks. Seriously, McShay? Bloody Maurice Clarett got a chance, and he was drafted no less!

Blount will get his shot.

Seamus2602
09-04-2009, 08:39 PM
You know, I reckon if he had only punched the Hout he would at least avoid a full-season ban. But punching his own teammate? Being restrained by the police? Fighting the fans? If it was just the punch in the heat of the moment, he'd of been better off....but he dragged the show on.

Still, I think this talk about his chances at the NFL being gone is bollocks. Seriously, McShay? Bloody Maurice Clarett got a chance, and he was drafted no less!

Blount will get his shot.

I agree that if he had just punched the guy then he would have been treated more leniently. He'd have probably got half the year, maybe even less. But he punched the guy, then punched his teammate, then tried to attack fans, then had to be escorted by Police out of the stadium. It just went from bad to worse to **** pretty quickly.

senormysterioso
09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
He basically ruined his life with that. It is over.

Maurice Clarett got a shot, Blount will still probably get a look. If he stays in shape, keeps his head down, and does the right thing he might have a chance at a career.

Jimmy
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I think everyone forgets that he is a 240 pound back that can run a 4.5. I mean... he will be picked up as an undrafted free agent. No matter what. I don't think that's a question. And he can just prove himself there. I just think the odds are stacked against him. If you ask me, the professional side says what he did was wrong, you don't handle yourself that way, but part of me also loves that take no **** mentality. Like someone else said, fooball players are taught to go insane for 60 minute, lagarrette went insane for 62.

Everyone deserves a second chance. I think thats the theme of the year. Vick got it, and he has plenty of supporters here. I know tensions are still flaring because were 48 hours removed, and because it was on national tv, but i think we can all agree what Blount did was less than what vick did (and I'm a vick supporter)

Therefore, I think we need to conclude that the punishment he recieved was fair, but we can't just all bash him forever, the man should get a chance to prove himself, and if he really steps it up, just goes apeshit with community service and hits the weights and stuff, then i think somebody's gonna gamble on him in the 5th. If not, I'd love for Denver or any other team to take a risk on him as a UDFA. Denver has enough drama queens, but he would be expendable. 1 strike and he's out. Rookie minimum salary

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't think anybody is saying that Blount isn't going to get a serious look by some NFL teams, I personally think that he's going to get drafted.

The problem is that the man seriously torpedoed his draft stock, and can't really do much to improve it for the next five months or so.

So while he was previously a round 2-3 guy who had an outside shot at going in the first round, he's now probably going to end up a late round pick (I'm saying sixth, based on absolutely nothing). That's certainly notable.

PACKmanN
09-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't think anybody is saying that Blount isn't going to get a serious look by some NFL teams, I personally think that he's going to get drafted.

The problem is that the man seriously torpedoed his draft stock, and can't really do much to improve it for the next five months or so.

So while he was previously a round 2-3 guy who had an outside shot at going in the first round, he's now probably going to end up a late round pick (I'm saying sixth, based on absolutely nothing). That's certainly notable.

who is going to draft a player who is out of football for a year? that is if he can no longer play on any team.

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
who is going to draft a player who is out of football for a year? that is if he can no longer play on any team.

As I understand it, Blount is suspended for the year but he has not been dismissed from the program. That is to say that Blount retains his scholarship, he retains access to all of the (considerable) facilities and athlete services offered at the university of Oregon, and he can still practice with the team.

So if Blount keeps his head down, works hard, does and says the right things, and generally comes out looking great when it comes to the upcoming NFL draft... somebody is going to draft him. I mean, one of the reasons late round picks exist is so you can grab guys with serious talent but serious red flags. If I had a pretty good roster already, and he was there in the seventh... I'd take him based just on his physical ability, wouldn't you? I mean, worst case scenario: you cut him, and it's no tragedy to cut a 7th round pick.

jared
09-04-2009, 10:14 PM
I think everyone forgets that he is a 240 pound back that can run a 4.5. I mean... he will be picked up as an undrafted free agent. No matter what. I don't think that's a question. And he can just prove himself there. I just think the odds are stacked against him. If you ask me, the professional side says what he did was wrong, you don't handle yourself that way, but part of me also loves that take no **** mentality. Like someone else said, fooball players are taught to go insane for 60 minute, lagarrette went insane for 62.

Everyone deserves a second chance. I think thats the theme of the year. Vick got it, and he has plenty of supporters here. I know tensions are still flaring because were 48 hours removed, and because it was on national tv, but i think we can all agree what Blount did was less than what vick did (and I'm a vick supporter)

Therefore, I think we need to conclude that the punishment he recieved was fair, but we can't just all bash him forever, the man should get a chance to prove himself, and if he really steps it up, just goes apeshit with community service and hits the weights and stuff, then i think somebody's gonna gamble on him in the 5th. If not, I'd love for Denver or any other team to take a risk on him as a UDFA. Denver has enough drama queens, but he would be expendable. 1 strike and he's out. Rookie minimum salary

So he sounds like Peyton Hillis, only, instead of the blocking or receiving ability, he has a serious anger management problem. Why do the Broncos need him again?

tjsunstein
09-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I can't say I sympathize for him one bit. He'll get a chance but he'll never be looked at in the same light and truthfully, I don't think he's ever trusted more than a 3rd back in the NFL. If that.

brat316
09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
We are blowing his draft status way out of proportion. This is anger thing probably would have been caught eventually just some red flags. Not playing the whole season will drop him down a round or 2, where picking him around 4-6 will not really make the red flags that big of a deal.

Who doesn't want a faster verison of the Giants Rb, copy cat league.

brat316
09-04-2009, 10:41 PM

How do these injured players get drafted? By testing well at the combine and pro days. And he is still on the team

El Peefs?????
09-04-2009, 11:00 PM

Being out of football for a year certainly doesnt scare away the Lions, we will probably take Blount #10 overall.

Abaddon
09-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Again...I didn't see the punch.

But Cincinnati still runs a scouting department....

Fixed that for ya.

Abaddon
09-04-2009, 11:24 PM
All would have likely ended well had Hout not slapped down on Blount's shoulder. The post-game jaw jabbering is uncalled for, but not uncommon I wouldn't think. But, he laid his hands on a grown man, then was foolish enough to turn his back to him. I don't care where you are, that right there will get you hurt.

I guess it's a good thing he did that, though. Good for scouts, anyway. They don't have to spend a dozen or so weeks scouting a possible sociopath.

redbills
09-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Blount can talk the **** but can't take it.

soybean
09-04-2009, 11:37 PM
i love everyone (including EVERY SINGLE SPORTS ANNOUNCER ON ESPN) with their "holier than thou" attitude.

Jimmy
09-05-2009, 12:29 AM
So he sounds like Peyton Hillis, only, instead of the blocking or receiving ability, he has a serious anger management problem. Why do the Broncos need him again?

Because unlike hillis, blount packs more power and speed (marginally) and unlike hillis, blount would simply warrant an experimental 7th round pick and minimal dollar salary. also that whole needingall the talent they can get considering they will be bottom dwelling. In my post I actually alluded to other teams too, not just the broncos :confused:

yo123
09-05-2009, 12:46 AM
This punishment was a little harsh imo. I mean you can't do what Hout did and not expect any kind of retaliation. Granted Blount took it to far but obviously after a tough loss emotions are running high. He just overreacted...a lot. I think half the season would have been more than sufficient.

Cicero
09-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I completely forgot about this until now but the University of Oregon certainly didn't stick with their precedent. Aaron Brooks intentionally drilled Ryan Appleby in the face with an elbow that required six stitches and he was suspended for two games and that was during basketball season.

Snorlax1
09-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Blount's skill set reminds me a lot of Glenn Winston from Michigan State.

Unfortunate for Blount that he plays for Oregon and not MSU.

El Peefs?????
09-05-2009, 02:44 AM
Blount's skill set reminds me a lot of Glenn Winston from Michigan State.

Unfortunate for Blount that he plays for Oregon and not MSU.

Since when is it fortunate to play for MSU? This isn't the NBA Draft forum~

San Diego Chicken
09-05-2009, 06:47 AM
I think the worst part for Blount is that this was captured live on ESPN and broadcast to a national audience - similar to the Ron Artest incident five years ago. If it had been off camera, or against a typical opening week opponent on Fox regional, I think Blount would have recieved a 4-6 week suspension.

I turned the game off with about a minute left in the 4th, not knowing what happened. The next day I had a co-worker ask me about it. First opportunity I get, I turn on ESPN who seems to have the tap and punch on continuous loop. That stuff is powerful. Deep down we crave the violence, but our hypocritical society feels the need to save face and publicly condemn it, and make examples of guys like Blount.

Note: I am not condoning what Blount did in any way - worst case it's a serious injury situation, ala Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore. An eight game suspension would have been appropriate in my book. Have him take anger management and let the guy play the last three weeks and the bowl game. I wouldn't have as much sympathy if we were talking about a pro, but it's a college kid who was clearly provoked.

etk
09-05-2009, 09:04 AM
I think everyone forgets that he is a 240 pound back that can run a 4.5.

Triangle numbers are really overrated. Blount has feet like bricks with no agility. How fast he runs doesn't matter if he can't even hit a hole or sidestep a tackler.

Vikes99ej
09-05-2009, 09:20 AM
He ran for -5 yards against Boise State. Who the **** would draft him anyways?

Jimmy
09-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Triangle numbers are really overrated. Blount has feet like bricks with no agility. How fast he runs doesn't matter if he can't even hit a hole or sidestep a tackler.

actually watching him more than just one game, its pretty obvious he has pretty good feet for a 240 pounder. he has the potential to regain some of what he actually did have in the agility department.

just because he has **** work ethic doesn't mean he didn't once have amazing moves. not like four plays proves he's agile, but most 240 pounders cant do this, ever. all in all, i think the 1,000 yards, 14 touchdowns, and multiple hit holes and sidesteped tacklers from 2008 will insure he gets drafted in the 5th to 7th depending on if he stays in shape and out of troubles way. it's just flat out false to say he doesn't have agility, he's no reggie bush, but it's just ignorant to sleep on the talent this guy once had, and not to give him a chance to regain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dukli3OCVrI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aP0SphLZeY (See 0:42)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ZnNph_NYo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-miRDLT8v4&feature=related

Babylon
09-05-2009, 12:54 PM
In the NFL the way they're cracking down on character problems this guy doesnt have a chance. He needs to be more concerned about getting a life.

P-L
09-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I was definitely not expecting this. I thought he'd get 4-6 games.

PossibleCabbage
09-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I was definitely not expecting this. I thought he'd get 4-6 games.

I really think that if the events were limited to just "Blount decking Hout", Blount probably would have gotten a handfull of games. But the fact that he didn't regain control, and fought with teammates, security, and people in the stands afterward made the decision easy.

You can stand to keep around a guy who loses his cool, but gets it back when his teammates get between him and trouble, but a guy who loses it and just keeps losing it? That's trouble

etk
09-05-2009, 06:46 PM
actually watching him more than just one game, its pretty obvious he has pretty good feet for a 240 pounder. he has the potential to regain some of what he actually did have in the agility department.

just because he has **** work ethic doesn't mean he didn't once have amazing moves. not like four plays proves he's agile, but most 240 pounders cant do this, ever. all in all, i think the 1,000 yards, 14 touchdowns, and multiple hit holes and sidesteped tacklers from 2008 will insure he gets drafted in the 5th to 7th depending on if he stays in shape and out of troubles way. it's just flat out false to say he doesn't have agility, he's no reggie bush, but it's just ignorant to sleep on the talent this guy once had, and not to give him a chance to regain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dukli3OCVrI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aP0SphLZeY (See 0:42)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ZnNph_NYo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-miRDLT8v4&feature=related

Yeah I've seen more than one game. I don't what you're referring to with that "regain" comment. He's a lumbering runner with sloppy feet. When he makes a move or cut his feet cross over and his legs slant awkwardly. He's not a natural or smooth runner by any means and he never has been.

On the flipside, he has impressive burst and explosion from a guy his size. He hits the hole hard and can leap over defenders.

When did he ever have amazing moves? He'd trip over his own feet on the dance floor. His feet aren't coordinated at all.

You can choose to believe what you want to believe, but Blount has bad feet and limited agility. I'm not gonna take away from his production or other talents (size, burst, etc.) but what I saw is what I saw. I wouldn't want a back on my team that runs awkwardly like he does.

I thought I had enough credibility on this site to not receive the "ignorant" word in a post and get flamed for "not seeing enough of a player". I know how to evaluate talent and I'm usually right with my predictions (especially RBs and defense). w/e.

Jimmy
09-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah I've seen more than one game. I don't what you're referring to with that "regain" comment. He's a lumbering runner with sloppy feet. When he makes a move or cut his feet cross over and his legs slant awkwardly. He's not a natural or smooth runner by any means and he never has been.

On the flipside, he has impressive burst and explosion from a guy his size. He hits the hole hard and can leap over defenders.

When did he ever have amazing moves? He'd trip over his own feet on the dance floor. His feet aren't coordinated at all.

You can choose to believe what you want to believe, but Blount has bad feet and limited agility. I'm not gonna take away from his production or other talents (size, burst, etc.) but what I saw is what I saw. I wouldn't want a back on my team that runs awkwardly like he does.

I thought I had enough credibility on this site to not receive the "ignorant" word in a post and get flamed for "not seeing enough of a player". I know how to evaluate talent and I'm usually right with my predictions (especially RBs and defense). w/e.

agree to disagree, nothing against you, I just see a better runner in him than you do. i just think saying he has no agility completely takes away from the type of player he is. we both know he's a 240 pound back, i just dont know many other 240 pound backs as quick as him, let alone 230. Good form running or not, he clearly has upside.

etk
09-07-2009, 06:43 PM
agree to disagree, nothing against you, I just see a better runner in him than you do. i just think saying he has no agility completely takes away from the type of player he is. we both know he's a 240 pound back, i just dont know many other 240 pound backs as quick as him, let alone 230. Good form running or not, he clearly has upside.

He has limited agility. Not "no" agility.

I don't know many backs as explosive as him period. He still has other deficiencies that take away from that. Darren McFadden is blazing fast but has chickenlegs, tight hips, ballcarrying issues, bad hands, etc. Blount is a bigger and more awkward version of DMc imo.

SickwithIt1010
09-11-2009, 11:07 PM

I'm pretty sure that Blount has been in quite a bit of trouble throughout his time in college football, but i may be wrong.

I actually went to high school with the guy he punched, played 4 years of football with him....and it doesnt surprise me that he got punched in the face, hes very good at making people mad. lol

Malaka
09-12-2009, 09:18 AM
I think it is a little unfair, the suspension for the whole season may have single handedly destroyed his football career. I would not be against a suspension lasting half the season, but IMO the whole season for Blount is pretty harsh. Yes he did a punch a teammate in the face, and he seems to have some anger issues, but I believe it could have been handled a little differently.

Btw, is the suspension by the NCAA or Oregon, because if it's by the school then I wouldn't be surprised to see them be a little lenient with him and shorten the suspension a bit.

Brent
09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I think it is a little unfair, the suspension for the whole season may have single handedly destroyed his football career.
The suspension ended his career? Try: him losing his **** on national TV did it.

Malaka
09-12-2009, 09:26 AM
The suspension ended his career? Try: him losing his **** on national TV did it.

That definitely hurt him badly I don't disagree with you, but now teams will not see him play at all and now he might not even be able to warrant a 7th round pick. If he is allowed to play and rakes it we can see him go in the 4th or 5th as a high risk/high reward pick.

brat316
09-12-2009, 11:17 AM
That definitely hurt him badly I don't disagree with you, but now teams will not see him play at all and now he might not even be able to warrant a 7th round pick. If he is allowed to play and rakes it we can see him go in the 4th or 5th as a high risk/high reward pick.

We have seen BMW, and Maurice Clarett drafted...Blount will get drafted before the 5th round.

Malaka
09-12-2009, 11:20 AM
We have seen BMW, and Maurice Clarett drafted...Blount will get drafted before the 5th round.

Maurice Clarett was honestly one of the best college running backs to play the game, he was outstanding, he was an idiot, but if he wasn't he'd easily be a top 10 pick thats why he is a special case Blount was a 2nd round pick to me, and if he doesn't play and does very well at the combine a 6th, if he doesn't do so hot at the combine I'd say UDFA.

Shane P. Hallam
09-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I think it is a little unfair, the suspension for the whole season may have single handedly destroyed his football career. I would not be against a suspension lasting half the season, but IMO the whole season for Blount is pretty harsh. Yes he did a punch a teammate in the face, and he seems to have some anger issues, but I believe it could have been handled a little differently.

Btw, is the suspension by the NCAA or Oregon, because if it's by the school then I wouldn't be surprised to see them be a little lenient with him and shorten the suspension a bit.

He didn't punch a teammate, he punched an opponent. The suspension at this point is by the school. They won't be lenient, they can't be.

Malaka
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
He didn't punch a teammate, he punched an opponent. The suspension at this point is by the school. They won't be lenient, they can't be.

Oh then thats even worse IMO, I don't know where I heard it was a teammate. Anyway if they aren't lenient then like I said his chances of being more than a 5th rounder are slim. Oh and I exaggerated a little bit with Clarett but one can't deny his freshman season was one of the best in NCAA history.

brat316
09-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Well Blount shouldn't do bad at the combine...because thats all he has to work for, now.

Shahin
09-12-2009, 02:52 PM
that boise st. guy deserved that ****.

SickwithIt1010
09-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Well after he punched Hout he ended up punching one or 2 of his teammates when they tried to pull him away lol.

But i get your point, as soon as you lose your cool like that, you are out of luck.

TACKLE
10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
There's a chance LeGarrette Blount could get reinstated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4524682

brat316
10-02-2009, 12:18 AM
He'll probably come back after the bye week then.

ElectricEye
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
It's ironic, but this could actually end up helping Boise State if Oregon ends up winning the Pac 10 with Blount's help.