PDA

View Full Version : Schools to Watch Next Year?

Preston
05-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm gonna start trying to watch some tape of players next year, and I wanted to know what schools have a lot of top prospects that I should make a priority to record. I already have these eight:

1) Oklahoma
2) Florida
3) Ole Miss
4) Georgia Tech
5) Oklahoma State
6) USC
7) Texas
8) Alabama

EDIT: I have since added these since I have started this thread.
9) LSU
10) Penn State
11) Oregon
12) Missouri
13) Notre Dame
14) Central Michigan
15) Michigan
16) South Florida

And wanted to know what schools I should add to the list. Thanks very much!

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
LSU has a bunch of top prospects to keep an eye on, Penn State has a few as well, not as much as some of these. Ohio state is always churning out top prospects. Notre Dame has some O-linemen to watch, as well as Clausen and Tate. Don't forget Tennessee, if only for the pure awesomeness that is Eric Berry!

Brent
05-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Oregon and Missouri

nepg
05-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Southern Methodist University

CC.SD
05-03-2009, 11:42 AM
TN and USC if you want to see some hardcore man-on-beast Safety action. Berry and Mays FTW.

JFLO
05-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Who would be the San Jose State this season?

A small school producing three or four draft prospects (Gilbert, Owens, Francies)

sbh15
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
You already got my team (Florida)... they could have just as many 1st rounders as Oklahoma this year, if Haden, Dunlap, Cunningham, Spikes all stay on track (an unfortunately depart). Major Wright could sneak his way in there with stellar work in coverage, and you got to think some team will fall in love with Tebow for whatever reason and reach for him in the first (though I think he should go 2nd-3rd round).

JHG722
05-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Temple University.

ESimsfan87
05-03-2009, 02:42 PM

A small school producing three or four draft prospects (Gilbert, Owens, Francies)

MY school: Central Michigan University.

1. Dan LeFevour, QB bound to be Pre Season MAC Player of Year
2. Antonio Brown, WR/KR/PR fastest player in MAC, threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball.
3. Bryan Anderson, WR 6ft 5 inch WR with superb hands, blocking, and concentration.

Possibly could get a sleeper o of d lineman in there too before we're all done.

etk
05-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Miami for 2011/2012.

Addict
05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
ITT: people name their favourite college team.

JHG722
05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
MY school: Central Michigan University.

1. Dan LeFevour, QB bound to be Pre Season MAC Player of Year
2. Antonio Brown, WR/KR/PR fastest player in MAC, threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball.
3. Bryan Anderson, WR 6ft 5 inch WR with superb hands, blocking, and concentration.

Possibly could get a sleeper o of d lineman in there too before we're all done.

Yeah, now that Shelton is gone :P
I'm not sure what ABrown's 40 is, but one of our freshmen running backs is up there; ran the fastest 100 meter in Pennsylvania.

wonderbredd24
05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
South Florida should have a handful of prospects this year. Selvie is the big name, but they have a couple other guys who should be in the mix

Oklahoma State has a few big names in Okung, Bryant, and their QB is a guy on the rise

Illinois has a couple big time athletes starting with Arrelious Benn.

Clemson has CJ Spiller, Ricky Sapp, and a few others

Burns336
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
You already got my team (Florida)... they could have just as many 1st rounders as Oklahoma this year, if Haden, Dunlap, Cunningham, Spikes all stay on track (an unfortunately depart). Major Wright could sneak his way in there with stellar work in coverage, and you got to think some team will fall in love with Tebow for whatever reason and reach for him in the first (though I think he should go 2nd-3rd round).

Major Wright WILL go to the Dallas Cowboys at 32 next year.....

Question is, are we trading up from a low 2nd rounder to get there? haha

wicket
05-03-2009, 03:38 PM
LSU has a bunch of top prospects to keep an eye on, Penn State has a few as well, not as much as some of these. Ohio state is always churning out top prospects. Notre Dame has some O-linemen to watch, as well as Clausen and Tate. Don't forget Tennessee, if only for the pure awesomeness that is Eric Berry!

I dont think Clausen will come out and Im pretty certain Tate wont come out either. For ND the 2011 draft class is interesting:
2010: Young (1-2) Olsen (3-4) and possibly McCarthey, McNeill, Duncan and Aldridge (if he transitions well to fullback) are basicly the only draftable players imo,
2011: Clausen(1st round by then) Tate(1-3) B. Smith(1-2) Allen, I.Williams, Stewart,Walls and Gary Gray all have enough potential to be first day picks.

As long as ND isnt hurt to much by players leaving early (which doesnt happen that much @ND) the big depth of talent is one year away. It will be nice to have more than one guy drafted though.

Burns336
05-03-2009, 03:38 PM

Prob SJSU again...

Sniper
05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
you got to think some team will fall in love with Tebow for whatever reason

That reason is because Tebow is the man and is awesome.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Temple University.

They actually have a few good prospects. Al golden is beginning to build that team up, though I don't think these guys are his recruits yet, next year I think is when his recruits start coming in. There are some mid round and possibly even a 2nd or 3rd round player in next years draft.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I dont think Clausen will come out and Im pretty certain Tate wont come out either. For ND the 2011 draft class is interesting:
2010: Young (1-2) Olsen (3-4) and possibly McCarthey, McNeill, Duncan and Aldridge (if he transitions well to fullback) are basicly the only draftable players imo,
2011: Clausen(1st round by then) Tate(1-3) B. Smith(1-2) Allen, I.Williams, Stewart,Walls and Gary Gray all have enough potential to be first day picks.

As long as ND isnt hurt to much by players leaving early (which doesnt happen that much @ND) the big depth of talent is one year away. It will be nice to have more than one guy drafted though.

Agreed on the talent being a year off from the NFL, but I'm also trying to anticipate for next year as well. I'm doing some very extensive work for the first time this year on this draft, and I'm getting as much info on people as possible, even if they don't declare, that way I have a head start for next year;).

Vox Populi
05-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm going to be catching as much Ole Miss, Tennessee and Florida as I can next year. Oklahoma and Ohio State too probably by default and them being on TV.

edit. whooops. Forgot 'Bama, they're going to be fun again next year.

tjsunstein
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Ole Miss is a good one that you have. Texas is also good, they could have multiple first rounders. My team to watch this year though is Michigan. They're defense is gonna produce a couple 3rds or higher.

princefielder28
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
East Carolina has a handful of defensive players worth giving a look to

DE CJ Wilson
DT Jay Ross
S Van Eskridge

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Ole Miss is a good one that you have. Texas is also good, they could have multiple first rounders. My team to watch this year though is Michigan. They're defense is gonna produce a couple 3rds or higher.

With Ezeh and Graham, I'll certainly be keeping an eye on their defense, particularly these two.

ToldLikeItIs
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Wicket is horribly overexaggerating Notre Dame's draft prospects.

Iowa

Bryan Bulaga, Amari Spievey, Adrian Clayborn, Kyle Calloway, AJ Edds, Pat Angerer, Anthony Moeaki.

Bulaga is the best, by a large margin, the others will probably be NFL players, you can evaluate the rounds for yourself.

WMD
05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Oklahoma has to be at the top of the list, considering they're just loaded all over.

Sniper
05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
With Ezeh and Graham, I'll certainly be keeping an eye on their defense, particularly these two.

Ezeh blows wang.

Sniper
05-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Wicket is horribly overexaggerating Notre Dame's draft prospects.

Pot, meet kettle...

ToldLikeItIs
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Dubbing ultra bust Sam Young nothing other than a late 2nd day pick is the epitome of exaggeration.

I did no such thing in my post. Brandon Minor fumbles again..

Michigan
05-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Ezeh blows wang.

And he won't be in this draft...

Sniper
05-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Dubbing ultra bust Sam Young nothing other than a late 2nd day pick is the epitome of exaggeration.

Do you really want to go back and see some of your amazing predictions? i.e Mitch King will be a first day pick? You have the least amount of credibility on this site. Stop embarrassing yourself. Tell me more about how amazing Jewel Hampton is because he scored three TDs against Maine.

Try again. Iowa fails to win the Big 10 again.

SKim172
05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I'd say watch Rutgers just for the hell of it. We've got some good seniors, but they'll probably be late-rounders (not for lack of talent).

MLB Ryan D'imperio is probably the best of the bunch and likeliest to get drafted early. Other than that, OT Kevin Haslam, WR Tim Brown, DE George Johnson, OLBs Blair Bines and Damaso Munoz, FS Zaire Kitchen, FB Jack Corcoran will be on the second-day and free-agent radar.

Of course, if Anthony Davis declares, suddenly Rutgers will be relevant on the first day.

scottyboy
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd say watch Rutgers just for the hell of it. We've got some good seniors, but they'll probably be late-rounders (not for lack of talent).

MLB Ryan D'imperio is probably the best of the bunch and likeliest to get drafted early. Other than that, OT Kevin Haslam, WR Tim Brown, DE George Johnson, OLBs Blair Bines and Damaso Munoz, FS Zaire Kitchen, FB Jack Corcoran will be on the second-day and free-agent radar.

Of course, if Anthony Davis declares, suddenly Rutgers will be relevant on the first day.

that and when Pat White literally snaps in half playing in the wild-cat in the NFL, Jabu Lovelace will get drafted in Miami to replace him and ruin lives.

eaglesalltheway
05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
that and when Pat White literally snaps in half playing in the wild-cat in the NFL, Jabu Lovelace will get drafted in Miami to replace him and ruin lives.

I'm really interested in Anthony Davis. Scotty, no one can give me more info on Rutgers players than you. What is a good analysis of him?

Michigan
05-03-2009, 10:11 PM

He's had his fumble problems fixed since the 3rd game of last season...

fischbowl
05-03-2009, 10:19 PM
University at Buffalo Bulls

James Starks, Naaman Roosevelt, and Davonte Shannon are all top 10 talents at their positions this year

thetedginnshow
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
I'd watch UW if I were you. Jake Locker is going to tear it up.

ToldLikeItIs
05-03-2009, 11:51 PM
ZZZZZOMGZ Tate Forcier for Heisman!= Psychotic

Grow up.

The players I referred to, in this post, ya know, the relevant one, 100% accurate.

T-RICH49
05-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Darrell Stuckey, Dez Briscoe and Kerry Meier are the top 3 to keep an eye on for Kansas

TitanHope
05-04-2009, 12:16 AM
ITT: people name their favourite college team.

You're just jealous cuz you can't be a Netherlands homer!!! :D

For the Vols, everyone knows about Eric Berry. Others to watch are:

#2 RB Montario Hardesty - 6'0, 215; People will fall in love with his running style. Marion Barber/Marshawn Lynch-esque.
#79 OT Chris Scott - 6'5, 346; Projects to OG in the NFL, and hopefully the OL will rebound as the offense returns to a Pro Style.
#65 OG Jacques McClendon - 6'3, 324; Could be the strongest player in the SEC.
#50 OC Josh McNeil - 6'4, 280; A Top 5 OC on many preseason lists.
#51 Vladimir Richard - 6'4, 300; His strength is up there with McClendon, and could be drafted if the OL rebounds this season.
#80 TE Jeff Cottam - 6'8, 260; Brad Cottam's younger brother.

#5 WLB Rico McCoy - 6'1, 220; Going to be playing Tampa 2 WLB, and he fits that perfectly.
#55 DT Dan Williams - 6'3, 327; Gonna be holding the nose this season, and will hopefully be the next great Tennessee DT.
#99 DE Ben Martin - 6'3, 239/#89 DE Chris Walker - 6'3, 232; Tampa 2 DE's who'll translate to 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

Don Vito
05-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Most people know about Hardy, Snead, John Jerry, and McCluster for Ole Miss; but here are some other draft eligible Rebels to watch with NFL potential:

#3 Shay Hodge SR. WR: Hodge is a dependable possession guy that has great hands and decent size (6-2 210), and he is a good athlete too. He isn't really a big play guy, but he has had his share of game changing plays (see game winning 86 yard TD catch against Florida this year when he beat Major Wright).

#92 Marcus Tillman SR. DE: Tillman is a big guy at 6-5 270, and he has been the most consistent and dependable player on the Rebel defense not named Patrick Willis since his freshman year. Tillman is sort of in the Justin Tuck mold, he is a bigger end who is great against the run but can get to the QB as a DT on passing downs. He projects as a classic NFL LE.

#40 Kentrell Lockett SR. DE: Lockett is a tall and athletic DE, he isn't the bulkiest guy at about 6-5 245 but he is a very smooth athlete who can rush the passer and is decent against the run. Lockett stepped up big time when Greg Hardy went down, and he gained a lot of confidence after blocking the extra point against the Gators.

#57 Jerrell Powe JR. DT: Powe's intelligence issues are well-documented, but he started to really develop into a solid DT as last season progressed. We were deep at the position last year, so he got to sit and learn for a while behind guys like Peria Jerry. Powe is strong as a bull at 6-2 330 and very athletic for his size, he got one start last year and it was in the Egg Bowl against MSU where he responded with 2 sacks and an interception.

#7 Patrick Trahan SR. WLB: The 6-3 230 Auburn transfer has been the talk of the spring, he is a great athlete who got thrown into the fire last year. If he gets his fundamentals down and learns the playbook completely, he could be scary good.

#8 Marshay Green SR. CB/PR: Green is a converted WR who isn't the biggest guy at 5-9 180, but he is a fast playmaker. He won D-MVP of the Cotton Bowl with a pick 6 and a PR TD.

#1 Kendrick Lewis SR. FS: Lewis stepped up big time last year and was the best player in our secondary. He has good size at 6-1 205 and very good ball skills, he developed into a true center fielder for us last year.

ironman4579
05-04-2009, 12:43 AM
He's had his fumble problems fixed since the 3rd game of last season...

That and he won't be playing with a messed up arm all year either.

wicket
05-04-2009, 02:08 AM

you mean the same sam young who has started from his freshman year. the guy who todd mcshay has going at 14 is him first mock and is regarded by almost every early ranking to be the premier right tackle in next year crop.

Sure I might be a bit biased towards my own but I feel I was really really fair concerning our 2010 crop.

But then again being fair, reasonable and realistic arent things I should explain to you. because that has absolutely no use whatsoever

wicket
05-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Agreed on the talent being a year off from the NFL, but I'm also trying to anticipate for next year as well. I'm doing some very extensive work for the first time this year on this draft, and I'm getting as much info on people as possible, even if they don't declare, that way I have a head start for next year;).

fair enough, then it are the players I named that should interest you the most concerning ND. If i remember to do so I'll keep you informed on the guys cuz with aldridge en duncan for instance we will know in about 3 games wheter they become draftable or not.

wicket
05-04-2009, 02:13 AM
You're just jealous cuz you can't be a Netherlands homer!!! :D

I am succeeding quite well in being a domer homer.

But its only logical that people analyse the guys they know best (in my case ND)

tjsunstein
05-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Cincinnatti wouldn't be a bad program to watch. (WR Gilyard, QB Pike)
Georgia Tech for the running game. Someone on that line should garner attention during the season. (RB Dwyer, DE Derrick Morgan)
Put Wake Forest down as well.

Cicero
05-04-2009, 04:39 AM
I'd watch UW if I were you. Jake Locker is going to tear it up.

Excellent post. I'm thinking about recording all of the games with a video camera this year.

USCTrojan83
05-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Cincinnatti wouldn't be a bad program to watch. (WR Gilyard, QB Pike)
Georgia Tech for the running game. Someone on that line should garner attention during the season. (RB Dwyer, DE Derrick Morgan)
Put Wake Forest down as well.

Isn't cincy also going to get Vidal Hazelton this year? Or is that another program?

Sniper
05-04-2009, 07:25 AM
ZZZZZOMGZ Tate Forcier for Heisman!= Psychotic

Grow up.

The players I referred to, in this post, ya know, the relevant one, 100% accurate.

Because I was clearly serious about Forcier for Heisman. :rolleyes: I mean, I know Iowa hasn't won a Heisman in 70 years, but don't take it out on me.

So when you're wrong again, can I bring this post up? Or will it be "irrelevant" again?

John Clay to Iowa.

Sniper
05-04-2009, 07:26 AM
you mean the same sam young who has started from his freshman year. the guy who todd mcshay has going at 14 is him first mock and is regarded by almost every early ranking to be the premier right tackle in next year crop.

Please don't use Todd McShay as a way to explain your logic.

05-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Who was the premier right tackle (only) in this year's crop? Britton? Where'd he go??

JRTPlaya21
05-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Isn't cincy also going to get Vidal Hazelton this year? Or is that another program?

Yeah it is Cincy.

ironman4579
05-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Who was the premier right tackle (only) in this year's crop? Britton? Where'd he go??

Top of the second round, which is far from a late second day pick.....................

05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Top of the second round, which is far from a late second day pick.....................

I don't know what you're getting at here ...

The top of the second round is not exactly the mid-first projection for Young in McShay's early mock, even if he indeed is considered a premier RT-only. That could also be a best-case scenario.

ToldLikeItIs
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
He's barely a top 25 tackle.

wicket
05-04-2009, 12:39 PM

The top of the second round is not exactly the mid-first projection for Young in McShay's early mock, even if he indeed is considered a premier RT-only. That could also be a best-case scenario.

I never claimed that McShay was right. He just isnt a late round guy like Told said. To be honoust RT's can easily go in the first. Both Otah and Cherilus were pure right tackles and both went in the middle of the first.

wicket
05-04-2009, 12:39 PM
He's barely a top 25 tackle.

what makes you more qualified then every other analyst out there?
Kinda feels like when you say stars arent important with recruits and then use 'projections' for the stars your Iowa players (or guys you have a weird fantasy about them becoming iowa players). Just quit the random hating, its getting old

Sniper
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I never claimed that McShay was right. He just isnt a late round guy like Told said. To be honoust RT's can easily go in the first. Both Otah and Cherilus were pure right tackles and both went in the middle of the first.

Honest, wicket, not honoust.

And Young isn't on Otah's or Cherilus' level.

wicket
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Honest, wicket, not honoust.

And Young isn't on Otah's or Cherilus' level.

thats not the point
besides that, it is honoust, you lot just have become lazy in spelling.

the_legend_killer
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
A team that's off the radar, I'll pick Central Michigan. The core of their team is back (LeFevour, Bryan Anderson, Antonio Brown) and they'll put up a lot of points. Their defense is iffy, but their schedule isn't anything daunting, so I could see the Chippewa's making a run.

JHG722
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
A team that's off the radar, I'll pick Central Michigan. The core of their team is back (LeFevour, Bryan Anderson, Antonio Brown) and they'll put up a lot of points. Their defense is iffy, but their schedule isn't anything daunting, so I could see the Chippewa's making a run.

I'm just glad we're not playing them this year.

JT Jag
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
You already listed them, but Alabama has two potential top-15 selections in Terrence Cody and Rolando McClain.

scottyboy
05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm really interested in Anthony Davis. Scotty, no one can give me more info on Rutgers players than you. What is a good analysis of him?

started out as a OG, which shows his strength. Highly recruited out of high school, so he's got the talent, and it's translated on the field. Transitioned from OG to LT VERY smoothly. Very good run blocker and pass blocker, and another great character guy. Don't have too much on him since it's only been one year at LT, but I'll get alot more this season on him. He seems like he'll be a top 5 LT easy when he enters, but I think teams are gonna wanna see his nasty streak more.

oh, and he pwnd George Selvie.

thetedginnshow
05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Excellent post. I'm thinking about recording all of the games with a video camera this year.

You go to UW or what?

Cicero
05-04-2009, 05:41 PM
You go to UW or what?

Yezzir. I just bought my season tickets a couple weeks ago.

princefielder28
05-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Central Michigan has really beefed up the schedule this year with games at Arizona, Michigan State, and Boston College. In conference they have to go to Western Michigan and Buffalo as well. They'll have their hands full but LeFevour and Anderson have a chance to raise their pro stocks quite a bit with solid seasons. Antonio Brown would set himself up for a hyped senior season in 2010.

thetedginnshow
05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Yezzir. I just bought my season tickets a couple weeks ago.

Exciting! That'd be kind of crazy if I know you IRL.

Cicero
05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Exciting! That'd be kind of crazy if I know you IRL.

Do you go to UW too?

thetedginnshow
05-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Do you go to UW too?

Nah, but I'm from Washington and have a bunch of friends that go there. Currently at Ohio State.

Cicero
05-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh ya I probably haven't met you in real life then. I'm from Port Angeles and I just moved over to Seattle for school this year.

JHG722
05-04-2009, 06:36 PM
UDub is a sick school.

Hurricanes25
05-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Hazleton could become a pretty good prospect if he stays healthy. He went to High School about 20 minutes from my house. Ive seen him play in person and he is just rediculous. I went to a game in his Junior year and he just obliterated every guy that the opposing coach put on him. He beat every single double team. I wish he came to Rutgers.

Ozzy
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
This is a odd list, list of what college teams to watch? How about them all, sure some are more talented than others, but one has to really watch them all so they do not miss anyone.

Clearly for talent USC is hands down #1, no way Oklahoma is above them, and why Florida is not higher than Oklahoma I have no idea. Thus, I say again, an odd list.

ToldLikeItIs
05-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Not even trying to be a homer, Iowa could have the top LT Bulaga, and RT Calloway in next year's draft.

Bulaga is more of a household name, Calloway is a bit of an unknown, but as a first-year starter he made 2nd team All Big-Ten and goes 6'7 325.

Ozzy is high on him I know.

ironman4579
05-05-2009, 06:14 AM

Um, Told had said that Young was a late second day pick. Wicket said he was the top RT in the draft. you said Britton was the top RT in the draft this year and asked where he went. I responded second round. I'm not sure how you don't see the correlation here. I could care less what McShay says. He's a moron. I was, as you were by extension, responding to Told, not McShay.

Preston
05-06-2009, 03:17 PM
This is a odd list, list of what college teams to watch? How about them all, sure some are more talented than others, but one has to really watch them all so they do not miss anyone.

Clearly for talent USC is hands down #1, no way Oklahoma is above them, and why Florida is not higher than Oklahoma I have no idea. Thus, I say again, an odd list.
They're in no particular order, sorry if I made that confusing :P

The Legend
05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm watching for Miami to go winless
SADLY :(

kiranadwaney
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Baylor.

Joe Pawelek (ILB)
Maybe is he can make it into the 2nd round if he has another good year, I say that is where he is about now. I think he is going to have a monster senior year, dont be suprised if late first is in his future.

Jordan Lake (FS), David Gettis (WR)

lake and Gettis both also have a shot at being day one selections. Lake right now i say is about a round 2-3 guy, and Gettis like a 4th.

Justin Akers (TE) also has a shot at being drafted.

05-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Sorry, I missed that part with Told.

BigJohn98
05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm watching for Miami to go winless
SADLY :(

They could very well start out 0-4.