PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback Situation

djp
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
State your case for a quarterback on the roster, or in free agents that's available.

We'll decide after all the options are on the table to determine the best option. Then we'll invade Winter Park and make our decision.

My option :

Brett Favre - If he's healthy, he's an ideal quarterback in our system. He knows the WCO, knows Brad Childress, and knows Darrell Bevell. He was a legitimate quarterback for the Jets before his arm went dead towards the end of the season, and I'll go ahead and claim that's why he was bad.

IF he's worked out in front of Childress and Bevell, and impresses, there's no reason not to give him a shot with what he's done in his career. This is probably the one team where he'd get the least amount of work with our running game and offensive line.

If I had to pick a quarterback on the roster, I'd pick Tarvaris Jackson. He knows the system better than Rosenfels, and showed some tremendous promise over the last half of the season. I'm a firm believer that if we can give him one more full year at starter, he'll become a serviceable NFL quarterback. We saw the dimension of mobility that he brought last year in relief of Frerotte and that made it that much more difficult to defend. He needs to run a bit more and go through his progressions more efficiently, but he's got all the tools and he's definitely shown flashes of being this team's quarterback.

nepg
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
JD Booty. They need an accurate passer who will make good decisions with the ball and not force anything. JD's ideal for that. Sage is not a good decision maker and definitely forces a lot of bad passes. I still can't understand why they didn't give JD a shot at some point in 2008. He's the perfect style of QB for that team.

djp
05-03-2009, 02:38 PM
JD Booty. They need an accurate passer who will make good decisions with the ball and not force anything. JD's ideal for that. Sage is not a good decision maker and definitely forces a lot of bad passes. I still can't understand why they didn't give JD a shot at some point in 2008. He's the perfect style of QB for that team.

Because he was absolutely horrid in the preseason and looked like he should have been playing on the psquad for his peewee team. Bad decisions, bad feet, no confidence in his throws... it was REALLY bad. I think Booty would have gotten the nod if Jackson didn't impress so much in Detroit.

Booty will have his shot again in this year's preseason, and if that happens and he performs, he'll get his shot at some point assuming Rosenfels fails.

marshallb
05-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I have to say Jackson, he showed a huge improvement last year, and remember that those first 2 losses last year weren't really his fault. If Shiancoe doesn't drop that touchdown against the Colts, then Jackson never would have been benched, which he shouldn't have been benched anyways. Yes, he struggled against the Eagles blitzes in the playoffs, but he kept us in the game and if our defense could have tackled Westbrook on that screen or Jackson, we very easily could have won that game.

I don't have much faith in Favre, he's 40, makes a lot of bad decisions, doesn't have the arm strength he used to, and always has been overrated imo.

marshallb
05-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh, and I have no faith in JD Booty now or in the future, he was never that good of a QB at USC despite all of the talent he had around him. He has very little arm strength, and while you shouldn't be making decisions based off preseason alone, he looked absolutely horrendous in the preseason last year.

djp
05-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I have to say Jackson, he showed a huge improvement last year, and remember that those first 2 losses last year weren't really his fault. If Shiancoe doesn't drop that touchdown against the Colts, then Jackson never would have been benched, which he shouldn't have been benched anyways. Yes, he struggled against the Eagles blitzes in the playoffs, but he kept us in the game and if our defense could have tackled Westbrook on that screen or Jackson, we very easily could have won that game.

I don't have much faith in Favre, he's 40, makes a lot of bad decisions, doesn't have the arm strength he used to, and always has been overrated imo.

I agree that Favre has been overrated, but you have to admit that he can steal a game at any point and time and we sure as hell could have used him at some point last year. Not to mention he won't be the focal point of the offense like he was in NYJ and GB.

The big thing with Jackson was the playoff game. Every little bit of progress he made appeared to vanish once Jim Johnson released the hounds.

Can he recover?

marshallb
05-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I agree that Favre has been overrated, but you have to admit that he can steal a game at any point and time and we sure as hell could have used him at some point last year. Not to mention he won't be the focal point of the offense like he was in NYJ and GB.

The big thing with Jackson was the playoff game. Every little bit of progress he made appeared to vanish once Jim Johnson released the hounds.

Can he recover?

Oh, believe me, I know that Favre can steal games, and he wouldn't be the focal point in the offense, but he just isn't anywhere near the same QB he was in his prime.

How many other QBs struggle against the Eagles and their blitzes? A lot of them do, and not just the mediocre ones like Jackson, the stars do too. I think he can recover from it, he has fought through a lot of adversity already. He was playing last year when his young kid was in the hospital, and came back from the benching and played very good up until the playoff game, and even then he was able to keep us in the game.

The Dynasty
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM
I am going to have to go with Tarvaris Jackson. The reason why is that he showed great progress from the first two games to the game versus the Cardinals. Sure he didn't have that great of a performance in the wild card game but he did keep us in that game. The INT in the game was a huge mistake but it was just one that i can remember. I also like his ability to scramble if the pocket collapses. Now with having Harvin, Berrian, AD, Taylor and Shaincoe coming on last year there is no reason for him not to succeed.

I like what Sage can bring to the team..He can manage the game which is what we need but he has a tendency to turn the ball over and thats what makes me worry about him.

JDB shouldn't even be considered as an option right now. He is still raw and still needs to learn.

Dr. Gonzo
05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
JDB after another year sitting will be a stud (at least the man love I have had towards him for years now says so). Right now I just want someone who can manage a game and from time to time take advantage of our two big play receivers (Berrian and Harvin). I don't have a favorite at the moment. All I can hope is that Childress is not a ******* fool and picks the right guy.

the_legend_killer
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm going to go with Rosenfels. Unlike last year when Frerrote was brought in for a backup that may start, Rosenfels has been brought in to compete and I'm not sure that Jackson can handle that pressure. Besides, Childress knows that his job is up for grabs (Thus the risky Harvin pick) and I think he'll have a shorter leash on Jackson than usual. I say Rosenfels is good in preseason, not great (QB Rating in the mid 80s) and does enough to get the start.

Rosenfels is more accurate and seems calmer in the pocket than Jackson, yet can sling one down the field every once in a while. As long as he doesn't try jumping over people, he'll be fine. My vote goes to Sage.

The_Dude
05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I think that Favre would give us the best chance to go deep in the playoffs. As others have mentioned, he would have to shoulder the load less (with AD and a really strong defense) than his last few years in GB & NY. His vast amount of experience would also give him the edge.

Unfortunately, i don't think that either Rosenfels or T-Jack give us a strong chance to win it all.

I would really like to have Favre come in for a year & allow Jackson a chance to learn from a real WC QB. I like T-Jack's skill set, but i still think that the mental game is his short coming. Maybe Favre could help him learn the intricacies & improve....

maybe it is just all wishful thinking :(

pete_norm
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM

I'll admit that even if he's getting older, he can still steal a game once in a while. The problem is that he can just as easily give a game away with 2 interceptions on crazy pass attempts (triple coverage, across the field while rolling in the other direction... ) he did it last year with the Jets and that's why i would not want him on the team. He used to have a cannon for an arm and be able to do those kind of plays, but now he still does them, and his arm is not what it once was. At the end of the season, i'm not sure he can steal more game than he will give away.

BGB
05-03-2009, 11:12 PM
The Vikings have been in talks with Favre behind the scenes. He'll be a Viking before training camp starts. The biggest hurdle at this point is if Favre's arm is fully healed on it's own or if he will need arthoscopic surgery. Trust me I told you Harvin would be the pick and we ran to the podium. A Favre deal is iminent.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Sign Favre and Vick and then have them battle it out lol.

the_legend_killer
05-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Bring back Brooks Bollinger and give him the job.

vikes_28
05-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Bring back Brooks Bollinger and give him the job.

Brooks Bollinger FTL. I would have to say Tavaris Jackson. He knows that he wants to be a starter in the NFL. And maybe trading for RosenFAIL was a way to get Jackson's ass in gear. I'm not too huge on Favre. He would be a waste of money and a roster spot IMO. I think next year we should trade for Jason Campbell or Donovan McNabb.

The Dynasty
05-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I think next year we should trade for Jason Campbell or Donovan McNabb.

Jason Campbell is a FA next year.

vikes_28
05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Jason Campbell is a FA next year.

ZOMG!!!!! It's just like it was meant to be!

Crazy_Chris
05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Well I'll start with surprisingly overated Sage Rosenfels. He is a guy that can be a decent spot starter for injuries and can play well off the bench. However Sage Rosenfels should not be a starting NFL QB. Over the past two years Sage started 10 games with the Texans. Sage Rosenfels record in those starts is 6-4 which isn't bad. However in that time frame this guy has thrown 22 interceptions on 414 attempted passes, thats 1 Int every 19 passes. I really don't see why this guy gets any love as a full time starter. The only good thing about gettin him is that they didn't waste a 2nd round on him last year and instead got him for a 4th.

Now as for incumbent Tarvaris Jackson, he has had good and mostly bad moments. However this will be his 4th year in the system so that already should give him an advantage over Sage. Also comparing him to sage over the same 2 season time period jackson has started 17 games the past 2 years. His record in the 17 starts is 10-7 which isn't bad either. The biggest difference is that Tarvaris Jackson believe it or not has thrown 8 less interceptions. The past 2 seasons he attempted 443 passes and has thrown 14 interceptions thats 1 Int every 31 attempts. Jackson still has a lot to work on but I will take him over Sage Rosenfels.

However the best option at QB for the Vikings is a 40 year old Brett Favre is the Vikings. Yes I said it. He is very familiar with the WCO and had success with a similar one with McCarthy in GB. But Brett Favre does tend to turn the ball over himself, and he led the league in ints last year. However I think that has more to do with being older and still throwing the ball 522 times last year. He won't be asked to throw as much in Minnesota with the Adrian Peterson and their running game. However in those games in which the Vikings get behind and have to pass a lot he will be capable of taking over and winning it for the Vikings. That is what seperates him from the other 2 options is that even at 40 he can win the passing games for the Vikings.

1.Brett Favre
2.Tarvaris Jackson
3.Sage Rosenfels.

BGB
05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Like I said boys a Favre deal is iminent. The behind the scenes stuff is done and now Chilly is metting him face to face. This thing is a done deal from what I know.

hagy34
05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Jason Campbell actually would be a nice addition and it definitely seems like he'll be an option next year. As for this year, people cannot honestly think that TJack or Sage gives us a better shot in 2009 than Brett. I just think that is outrageous. Favre has the ability to win us games. He wasn't great last year in NY but he'd be surronded by much better weapons here in Minnesota. Teams will still respect Favre's ability to throw and Adrian will run wild.

The Dynasty
05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Well...Looks like BGB could be right again.

Childress to meet with Favre
May 5th, 2009 – 4:39 PM by Chip Scoggins

ESPN’s Ed Werder is reporting that Vikings coach Brad Childress will meet with Brett Favre at an undisclosed location this week. Here is the report.

According to the report, the two are going to discuss whether Favre wants to come out of retirement and join the Vikings this season and that Favre will make a decision soon afterward. Werder writes that the team wants Favre to participate in offseason minicamps.

Childress left open the possibility of Favre joining the team when asked about it during the rookie minicamp this past weekend. Childress said the team had not discussed it but probably would do so.

The biggest issue is Favre’s health, specifically his right arm. Werder wrote that Favre has not been working out and did not have surgery on his torn biceps tendon, which caused his production to drop dramatically at the end of last season with the Jets. Favre apparently believes the injury can heal without surgery.

B-rand
05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
If Favre signs, does that mean that Jackson does not get re-signed next off-season?

I really don't see the QB position being solidly filled with any of these QB's. Will getting Brett get us closer to the Sam Bradford/Colt McCoy sweepstakes next draft?

BGB
05-05-2009, 11:44 PM
It's not the Bradford/McCoy sweepstakes it's the Bradford/Snead sweepstakes. Landing Snead would be money! His game is actually a lot like Favres. Great arm and tough as nails. McCoy is a fraud! McCoy's ceiling as an NFL player is Jeff Garcia in my opinion.

hagy34
05-06-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm sorry but I don't think I want this team in the Bradford/Whoever sweepstakes. I'd love to have one of those guys, but I'd rather have them win now. I'm not going to be excited about missing the playoffs regardless of who we could possibly draft, that isn't the point of the NFL.

Lets worry about improving the team we have right now, not the 2010 NFL draft which is over 350 days away.

BGB
05-06-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry but I don't think I want this team in the Bradford/Whoever sweepstakes. I'd love to have one of those guys, but I'd rather have them win now. I'm not going to be excited about missing the playoffs regardless of who we could possibly draft, that isn't the point of the NFL.

Lets worry about improving the team we have right now, not the 2010 NFL draft which is over 350 days away.
I was thinking more along the lines of winning this year and then making a move up in the draft to land someone like Snead. Although we will need to replace Pat Williams and possibly Winfield. That can probably be done in free agency though.

Sage or Favre could then be the one year bridge to our future stud QB like Snead

hagy34
05-06-2009, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't be against that whole idea, I'm just against the people who keep saying that bringing in Favre screws us in the future. As of now we don't have a QB of the future.

vikes_28
05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
damnit. my lack of want for favre has cursed us! FAIL

B-rand
05-06-2009, 10:39 AM

I agree, but seeing a prospect like that just makes one salivate sometimes...

General Zod
05-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I want T-Jack to be no part of the Vikings, sorry. I just cant get out of my head some of the terrible throws he seemed to make on a consistant basis. His poor decision making and lack of progress, yeah i'm over him. It amazes me that a lot of you who support him seem to block out all of the terrible throws/plays from last season. I dont buy into that cards game. Arizona was so bad that day, anyone could have smoked them.

My rankings:

1. 50 year old Favre
2. Rosenfail
3. T-Jack
4. JDB (never a fan of this pick)

The Dynasty
05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
If anyone was wondering about Favre's Arm Injury they said on ESPN by their doctor on Sportcenter that it is as serious as people think. He will be able to play with his arm for the year even if that thing is torn in his arm because another thing is connected to the bicep. She said that John Elway went through the same year in 1997 and he won the Superbowl that year.

marshallb
05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
So how about Favre this year and Campbell next year? I'd love it, that way we're winning now and yet we have our QB for the future.

BlueBandit24
05-07-2009, 09:02 AM
So how about Favre this year and Campbell next year? I'd love it, that way we're winning now and yet we have our QB for the future.

Works for me. I like Campbell and don't think he's been given a fair shake in Washington. He'll never be a superstar but I think he's a Top 15 starter in this league. I'm not huge on next year's QB class. I like Snead but after that I don't see anyone I would want running my team, including Bradford.

hagy34
05-07-2009, 01:19 PM

That was my thinking, although once again it seems to make too much sense to actually happen.

pete_norm
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Could it finally be over???

From Yahoo sports:

Source: Favre rebuffs Vikings, will stay retired

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-favre050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

hagy34
05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll believe that Favre is staying retired once the season starts...

B-rand
05-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Waiting for BGB to come and say:

"he's only saying he's retired to get out of participating in off-season work-outs"

I am not opposed to having Favre play for this team just because he was the face of the Packers franchise, but I question if he is the best player for the job....I am not convinced either way right now.

hagy34
05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Waiting for BGB to come and say:

"he's only saying he's retired to get out of participating in off-season work-outs"

I am not opposed to having Favre play for this team just because he was the face of the Packers franchise, but I question if he is the best player for the job....I am not convinced either way right now.

I wouldn't go ragging on BGB, he was dead on with the Harvin talk. And Favre probably is trying to get out of the offseason workouts.

marshallb
05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I definitely think that Favre could be doing this so he can skip the workouts. I'd put the chances of him skipping workouts at 50%, same as him staying retired.

B-rand
05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't go ragging on BGB, he was dead on with the Harvin talk. And Favre probably is trying to get out of the offseason workouts.

No, I'm not raggin on him...I just saw him post that in a different forum.

Or at least I'm assuming it was him who posted it.

But you know what happens when you assume..............I look like an idiot.

banetzdererste
05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Guys take the shoot and go after Vick.

Should be a good one!
You have nothing to lose.

B-rand
05-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Should be a good one!

We don't run the Wildcat. We need a drop-back QB with accuracy as well as arm strength.

General Zod
05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Please stop sending me crappy pm's.

hagy34
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm in the Favre camp. He's a big upgrade...

vikes_28
05-25-2009, 10:00 PM
The way I feel about this TJizzack situation is a little different. Send me a nasty PM. See if I care.

I think that he should stay a Viking. Because he will probably go to a different team and be a star. Just like Tyler Thigpen.

Crazy_Chris
05-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Should be a good one!

Vick would be a horrible idea, the Vikings need a QB that can actually pass the ball.

The Dynasty
05-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Right Now I want Tarvaris Starting and if he struggles put in Sage. Just like what we did in last year. If Favre comes out of retirement and joins the vikings than its a different story but as of right now it has to be Tarvaris' Job to lose.

General Zod
05-26-2009, 12:21 AM
The way I feel about this TJizzack situation is a little different. Send me a nasty PM. See if I care.

I was amused with them at first. Then it just got old.

DHVF
05-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Right Now I want Tarvaris Starting and if he struggles put in Sage. Just like what we did in last year. If Favre comes out of retirement and joins the vikings than its a different story but as of right now it has to be Tarvaris' Job to lose.
I feel pretty much the same way. The guy has made some definite progress and I believe its in our best interest to stick with him for a little bit longer and hope that everything sort of clicks in a sort. While that may be a grim hope for many, he has shown many signs of being a very solid QB and brings the greatest shot out of anyone on our roster of leading us through a playoff run.

BGB
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Like I said boys a Favre deal is iminent. The behind the scenes stuff is done and now Chilly is metting him face to face. This thing is a done deal from what I know.

Well that Joe Buck interview pretty much validated everything that I brought up in the above post a few months ago.

Kid_Ego
06-25-2009, 03:20 PM
This is a no brainer Favre at ninty would be better then T-jack or Sage. Booty isnt even an option. Favre then childress pulls another brainless stunt and talks Rich Gannon into coming back for a season or Jeff George. Yikes. Mean while Jason campbell signs with the bears because the bears woefully realize that touchdown jesus is a farse. Jay Cutler sucks im glad we dint get him he is a premadonna who is a legend in his own mind, I cant wait to watch jerrod allen ray edwards and chad greenway welcome him to the BLACK N BLUE. You aint in kansas anymore dorthy.

cvv84
06-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Mr. Kid_Ego, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

brat316
06-25-2009, 03:41 PM
This is a no brainer Favre at ninty would be better then T-jack or Sage. Booty isnt even an option. Favre then childress pulls another brainless stunt and talks Rich Gannon into coming back for a season or Jeff George. Yikes. Mean while Jason campbell signs with the bears because the bears woefully realize that touchdown jesus is a farse. Jay Cutler sucks im glad we dint get him he is a premadonna who is a legend in his own mind, I cant wait to watch jerrod allen ray edwards and chad greenway welcome him to the BLACK N BLUE. You aint in kansas anymore dorthy.

when was jay cutler in kansas?

I thought you guys were purple and gold.

Black and Blue? I don't think there is a team thats black and blue.

eaglesalltheway
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Are you going to make him black and blue?...so confused Ego...

The Dynasty
06-25-2009, 03:50 PM
when was jay cutler in kansas?

I thought you guys were purple and gold.

Black and Blue? I don't think there is a team thats black and blue.

The NFC North has been called the Black and Blue Division in the past but I dont know what Kid_Ego is trying to say other than that..

B-rand
06-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't get it.....if you want Favre to come here (you mention that he's better at age 90 than any QB currently on the roster) and all signs point to him becoming the QB of the Vikings soon...why are you not happy?

TT Gator
08-14-2009, 08:48 PM
As of now the best QB for the Vikings is Sage Rosenfels. I thought Favre would have be perfect but that's not a possibility anymore. Rosenfels proved in Houston the last couple years that he can be a productive QB. He's not an elite QB but he's one of those players that does almost everything good but nothing great(i'll get to the almost part in a minute). Jackson has had his shot and I don't believe just cuz he had a good game or two at the end of the '08 season that he's switched gears and will automaticlly become a franchise QB. Minnesota took a chance on a small school prospect and it didn't pay off and while I know they want that investment to payoff sometimes it's better to burn that bridge and start over instead of wasting valuable time. The Vikes need a game manager and a guy who can get the ball downfield consistently so defences can't load defenders in the box to stop Peterson all game long. Jackson isen't the guy to do those things. He's much too jumpy, he's not got a high football I.Q., and he's never impressed me with arm strength or accuracy. I actually like JD Booty and believe he should be the back-up. He had a bad Preseason in '08 but I think he'll impress this year. I'm not convinced yet that he has what it takes to be a starter and lead this team but i'd be willing to give him the job before Jackson. The worst thing bout Booty is he may be a lil to similar to Rosenfels. Now onto the weakness of Rosenfels...the guy turnsover the ball way too much and has a habit of choking when the games on his shoulders or during big games. A good example is the season opener againest the Colts in '08 the Texans were ahead 27-10 with 8:18 left in the game and after the Colts scored a TD making it 27-17 Sage fell apart. With only 4:04 left in the game he turned the ball over 3 times(2 fumbles, one INT) 2 of which resulted in TDs for Indy and the Colts went home the victors. That's what worries me about Sage but the sad thing is he is the best QB experiance wise and talent wise that Minnesota has. I think he can at least be a middle of the road QB which is better than what we had most of last year but I think he has the potential to do more if he stay consistent and not turn over the ball so much. I just hope the coaches let guy of this dream of Jackson becoming the next McNabb cuz it's not happening. They need to give Rosenfels the job and if it doesn't payoff then we draft a QB in next years heavy QB class.