PDA

View Full Version : Past Drafts!

jkpigskin
05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
With the 2009 draft in the books, we do not know how these players will pan out. Instead, we can look back on drafts and see how ozzie and co. have done in the recent past.
imma start with the 2005 draft because the 2004 draft was one of the worst in ravens history

1 Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
2 Dan Cody LB Oklahoma
2 Adam Terry T Syracuse
4 Jason Brown C North Carolina
5 Justin Green RB Montana
6 Derek Anderson QB Oregon State
7 Mike Smith LB Texas Tech

-In hindsight, the fact that Roddy White was taken a pick or two after us kinda hurts. Clayton is a solid player but we have a better version of him in Derrick Mason. If we the taller White combined with Mason, ill recieving corp would be more complete. Our second round picks have not panned out with Dan Cody falling to injury season after season and seems like Terry's days of starting are over with the draft pick of Michael Oher. Though when we found a diamond in Jason Brown who got big money from the rams this season

1 Haloti Ngata DT Oregon
2 Chris Chester C Oklahoma
3 David Pittman DB Northwestern State-Louisiana
4 Demetrius Williams WR Oregon
4 P.J. Daniels RB Georgia Tech
5 Dawan Landry SS Georgia Tech
5 Quinn Sypniewski TE Colorado
6 Sam Koch P Nebraska
6 Derrick Martin CB Wyoming
7 Ryan LaCasse LB Syracuse

-The highlight of this draft is one of the best DT's in the game in Haloti Ngata and punter Sam Koch. The jury is still out on some of these players. Chris Chester's job is in jeopardy and Demetrius Williams still has people believing in him b/c of his size. I really like Dawan Landry and i will be happy to see him back with us this season. The pick of pj daniels confuesed me at the time and now it looks like it was a waste of a pick. Derrick Martin has shown flashes but he may not make the roster this season. David Pittman was an intriguing small school pick but has been a bust. Hopefully Ladarius Webb doesnt fall into that catagory

1 Ben Grubbs G Auburn
3 Yamon Figurs WR Kansas State
3 Marshal Yanda T Iowa
4 Antwan Barnes LB Florida International
4 Le'Ron McClain FB Alabama
5 Troy Smith QB Ohio State
6 Prescott Burgess LB Michigan
Supp Draft Jared Gaither T Maryland

-This draft could make up more than half of our OLine this season. If Yanda can beat out chris chester. Picking up Gaither in the supp draft was genius and Ben Grubbs is on his way to becoming an elite guard. The pick that doesnt make sense in this draft was Yamon Figurs. He doesnt really match the mold of a raven. He lacks toughness and plays scared. Le'Ron McClain was an amazing pick. Even if we do not use him much to run this season, he is a capable blocker and when he touches the ball, gives us another option. This draft features two young and talented linebackers who could make more of an impact in the near future.

1 Joe Flacco QB Delaware
2 Ray Rice RB Rutgers
3 Tavares Gooden OLB Miami (Fla.)
3 Tom Zbikowski FS Notre Dame
3 Oniel Cousins T Texas-El Paso
4 Marcus Smith WR New Mexico
4 David Hale G Weber State
6 Haruki Nakamura FS Cincinnati
7 Justin Harper WR Virginia Tech
7 Allen Patrick RB Oklahoma

- the pick of Joe Flacco will always be the headline of this draft. A franchise signal caller who will bring stability to the QB position for the ravens. Ray Rice was another solid pick. Gooden is the favorite to replace Bart Scott and i am excited at his potential. The rest of this draft have found players to make an impact on special teams. This was John Harbaughs first draft and his history of special teams is evident in this draft. Zbikowski, Smith, and Nakamura made an immediate impact on special teams. The rest of this draft is still up in the air

Discuss!

ravensfan3jt
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
i would say 2006 draft is the best

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Loved the 07 Draft, it wasn't a flashy draft but we got Grubbs, Yanda and Gaither, all who will be starting and 2 of which could be All-Pros. We got McClain, who is arguably the best overall FB in the game. A great 1 dimensional pass rusher in Barnes, who still has alota potential. One of the best wildcard QB's in Smith and as for Burress and Figurs, they are probably the ones that still have something to prove. Figurs is likely done since we have Carr, Webb, Rice, Zbikowski, and Nuke all capable of returning kicks. As for Burress, he is in jeopardy of losing his job.

bam bam
05-05-2009, 12:56 AM
A great 1 dimensional pass rusher in Barnes, who still has alota potential.

Great??? If by great you meant absolutely underwhelming, then yes, he is great.

Being great means you have fulfilled your potential, so make up your mind. Jameel McLain in one year surpasses Barnes in both productiveness and potential.

America
05-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Barnes hasn't gotten great production, but he's gotten good playing time and when he's in, ass a pass rusher, he's helped collapse the pocket. He's a good piece to our D.

ccB
05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Great??? If by great you meant absolutely underwhelming, then yes, he is great.

Being great means you have fulfilled your potential, so make up your mind. Jameel McLain in one year surpasses Barnes in both productiveness and potential.

You beat me to it, Barnes has a one dimensional skill-set and he can't even put that to use on the field. I am completely dissapointed with that pick so far and hope to god he can bring some of that untapped potential to the surface this season.