PDA

View Full Version : Stallworth or Hamlin

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Would you rather have Donte Stallworth or Ken Hamlin as an Eagle next year? My vote is for Donte because there are better prospects at Safety that could be available around our pick in the first.

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 02:42 PM
My vote may have been for Donte a few hours ago, but with the recent news with the Bethel Johnson signing, I say the Eagles should at least try to make a run at Hamlin. At least see how much he is asking. If it is too high, you can't say you didn't try, but I would be fine if we got a S early in the draft.

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I think I should re-think what I said in the post above. I had Johnson confused with another person, so I would still be in favor of signing Donte because Johnson is a #4 or #5 receiver. Johnson may not even make it past the final roster cuts. The most value he would have for us would be in the return game.

tjsunstein
03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Having a fun conversation with yourself?

Dillen
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
eatw, you know you can edit posts.

I'd take Hamlin over Stallworth. The Eagles offense doesnt have problems. Their defense is among the worst in the league. If the Eagles are going to go back to 60%+ passing then I would take Stallworth, even though throwing that much is awful for the team.

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah I know I can edit, but I figured why keep my thought process to myself. At first I had him confused with someone who I thought would be a great signing considering who is left, but then I realized he wasn't who I thought he was, so I changed my mind.

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Having a fun conversation with yourself?

No there not always fun, sometimes they're actually quite boring, considering no one talks back.

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Would you rather have Donte Stallworth or Ken Hamlin as an Eagle next year? My vote is for Donte because there are better prospects at Safety that could be available around our pick in the first.

How about the original question? We all got a little sidetracked, but with the situation the way it is now, which would you have?

Bigp5437
03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Honestly, I like Hamlin and all, but I'd rather have Donte back. We already know what he brings to the table as a player, and he already has a relationship established with McNabb which he would be able to build upon next season. Hamlin is a good player, but we may be better off drafting a safety this year anyway since the talent pool is so deep, and save that money that we may spend trying to sign him to apply to another area that we need help in.

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Exactly how I feel, how about someone else's opinion.

cunningham06
03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I would take Hamlin. When we have a strong run support safety, our run defense can be really good. At the beginning of the year we were doing quite well against the ground attack while Michael Lewis was starting. He was giving up plenty of plays, but while he was in we were good against the run. Considine is a solid player, but Hamlin would add that Michael Lewis stoutness against the run while still being good in coverage. If we have our starting secondary set going into the draft we would really be able to perfect our defense.

We need to stop throwing the ball as much anyway. Maybe not having a weapon like Stallworth will convince Reid to run the ball more. I still really want Stallworth back though.

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Well if we would get Hamlin, it pretty much ensures that Donte is gone. It fills our biggest need, so LB is our major concern. We could get Leonard or Hunt in the second, so we don't have to pass so much. We would still be able to draft our main positions of need if we did this.

Tubby
03-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Definitely Stallworth.

jonbrodo17
03-08-2007, 08:31 PM
thats a tough question. I would have to say stallworth but I hink Hamlin would be nice here too. It's just good to have that kind of threat in the passing game, but i think we all kow that he is as good as gone, so I hope we help out da D with Hamlin!

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 08:36 PM
If Donte leaves, I think Hamlin should be the #1 priority in FA, but maybe not. We could get a great Safety in the draft.

dcsicass31birds
03-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Either way...WE DO NOT need to draft a WR...enough already...draft D

eaglesalltheway
03-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Either way...WE DO NOT need to draft a WR...enough already...draft D

Yes sir, I have been telling people this for the longest time. The only way I see us going OLB is if all the main targets are gone and Jon Beason or Poz are left. Personnally, I would take Poz. I know he is undersized, but he could be the WILL, and Gaither will be the MIKE of the future. The other thing about Poz is you know he can play no matter where you put him, so he may even be able to play SAM until Gocong is ready or until Gaither is moved to MLB, when Poz will play WILL. I still think Gaither is better suited for WILL, so MLB is a bigger priority over OLB.

cunningham06
03-08-2007, 10:55 PM
You forget about McCoy. If Gaither moves to MLB then McCoy is the starting WILL. We do not need a WILL, we need a strongside LB and a MLB.

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Do you really see McCoy as our starting WILL? I know he played great the first 4 or 5 games, but his stats are inflated, because teams were running right at him. If you remember the games, he did have his tackles, but he did miss some as well. Because of his durability concerns, I don't think he will make it as a starter for the Eagles anymore.

ryan0022
03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd say Hamlin based on the fact that the eagles had so many problems on defense and I still have images of Joe Horn burning Michael Lewis on that TD. I think the majority of thier additions need to come on the defensive side of the ball. The D is where it's at and where we need the most help - I like stallworth but what's going to make this team better is a better D.

Dillen
03-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Do you really see McCoy as our starting WILL? I know he played great the first 4 or 5 games, but his stats are inflated, because teams were running right at him. If you remember the games, he did have his tackles, but he did miss some as well. Because of his durability concerns, I don't think he will make it as a starter for the Eagles anymore.
There aren't durability concerns. He got injured once. You can not base anything off of that, especially when it was a shoulder injury that wasnt something like a rotator cuff.

"Inflated stats" have nothing to do with it. McCoy was the Eagles best LB last year. And he started half the games. He had something like 6 or 7 TFL. 2 FF and 2 sacks. And once again, only started half the games.

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Durability concerns are because he is so small, and he was injured. I like what he did when he played, but they were inflated a little bit. If they would have run the ball at Trotter or the bowtie more, he wouldn't have had as many tackles, or any of those stats you mentioned. He was tested because it was basically his rookie year. He did step it up, but injury problems are possible for him.

Dillen
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
The majority of his TFL were on a toss play or when he shot a gap and caught him from behind. You dont "run towards a player" and get sacked.

The reason why so many people dont like him is that he got run over a bit when teams ran right at him. That was in the middle to end of the year when he wasnt healthy, and he couldnt really use his arm to full use because of his shoulder.

Whatever. McCoy was the best LB on the team last year. His production can't be questioned.

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
OK, he was productive when he played but my point is he will not be able to play for a whole year, anyway.

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I'll jump into this. I'd take Stallworth. Why? Learning WR in the system has never been easy, and Stallworth has spent a year in it with solid results. Hamlin's a nice safety, but he's not significantly better in coverage than Michael Lewis (hence why Seattle let him go). While shifting to more of a SS role in Philadelphia would make Hamlin a bit better and less exposed, if I had to pick between the two, it'd be Stallworth.

While I'm not a gungho McCoy fan, I will say that if the DL plays better at the POA, then the back 7 won't look as bad as it did at times last year.

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I'll jump into this. I'd take Stallworth. Why? Learning WR in the system has never been easy, and Stallworth has spent a year in it with solid results. Hamlin's a nice safety, but he's not significantly better in coverage than Michael Lewis (hence why Seattle let him go). While shifting to more of a SS role in Philadelphia would make Hamlin a bit better and less exposed, if I had to pick between the two, it'd be Stallworth.

While I'm not a gungho McCoy fan, I will say that if the DL plays better at the POA, then the back 7 won't look as bad as it did at times last year.

I agree with you on that. Stallworth is still favored for me, but the situation id less than promising. I also think our D-line could have played better, which improves the whole defense. Losing Kearse really hurt the Eagles. That is why I think DE and a run stuffer at DT are things the Eagles should look into this off-season.

Rob331
03-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Let's see if they can't get something done with Doss - i prefer him over Hamlin.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I like Hamlin much more. The only way I would want Doss is if we can get him for much cheaper than Hamlin.