PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

djp
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Discuss all 2010 Draft related happenings here

marshallb
05-04-2009, 06:02 PM
What are your guys thoughts on top needs for next year?
I'd go like this:
DT
QB
DE
After that it is dependent on how some of the unknowns and players on the hotseat perform. Like TE(which Shiancoe will we see?) S(how will Tyrell Johnson do?) C(how will John Sullivan do?) OLB(Leber upgrade ?), I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of right now. Then you get other small needs like FB and KR/PR, unless they want to use Harvin in that role.

hagy34
05-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Needs at this point: QB,DT,DE, FB

Possible others after this season: C,S,LB

I think Shiancoe is fine at TE. He's pretty much a luxury with the idea that Peterson, Harvin and Berrian will make the majority of our plays.

vikes_28
05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Shiancoe actually came on really well at the end of last season.

This is my list:
QB (This is only if we get Favre and Jackson and RosenFAIL fail.)
C
DT
CB

hagy34
05-07-2009, 12:57 AM
I pray to God that Tim Tebow isn't anywhere near our draft board next season....

marshallb
05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I pray to God that Tim Tebow isn't anywhere near our draft board next season....

I agree 1000%(yes 3 0s). I hate Tebow so much that it isn't even possible for me to hate him more.

the_legend_killer
05-07-2009, 08:32 AM
If someone wants to try Tebow at QB, he'd need to go someplace where he'd get 2 or 3 years to sit and watch (Charlie Whitehurst-style), but that place isn't Minnesota. The Vikings would almost be worst-case scenario for him.

vikes_28
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
If someone wants to try Tebow at QB, he'd need to go someplace where he'd get 2 or 3 years to sit and watch (Charlie Whitehurst-style), but that place isn't Minnesota. The Vikings would almost be worst-case scenario for him.

Yeah. But due to our dumbass coach we would probably end up getting him.

hagy34
05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah. But due to our dumbass coach we would probably end up getting him.

I doubt it, Chilly has too much man love for TJack.

marshallb
10-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Time to fire this back up as we are a quarter of the way through the season. What do you guys think are our top needs?
I would go with:
1. QB
2a. DE
2b. DT
4. CB
5. RB
6. FB

I've been pleased with Sullivan and Johnson so far, they haven't been superstars, but they've been good. I also want to say that I've been wrong on Harvin. I knew he had the talent, but I was worried that we wouldn't use him in the right ways or enough, and so far we've done that. Not as much on Monday night, but we didn't have to.

I also want to get your guys's thoughts on Pike vs. McCoy. To me, they are dead even, and will both likely be available in the late 1st, where it looks like we'll be picking. Who do you like better, why, and by how much?

JFLO
10-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Time to fire this back up as we are a quarter of the way through the season. What do you guys think are our top needs?
I would go with:
1. QB
2a. DE
2b. DT
4. CB
5. RB
6. FB

I've been pleased with Sullivan and Johnson so far, they haven't been superstars, but they've been good. I also want to say that I've been wrong on Harvin. I knew he had the talent, but I was worried that we wouldn't use him in the right ways or enough, and so far we've done that. Not as much on Monday night, but we didn't have to.

I also want to get your guys's thoughts on Pike vs. McCoy. To me, they are dead even, and will both likely be available in the late 1st, where it looks like we'll be picking. Who do you like better, why, and by how much?

1. QB
2. DE
3. CB
4. DT
5. OG/C
6. RB
7. FB

I'm not really sold on either McCoy or Pike being a franchise quarterback at the next level, but if I had to pick one, then it would Pike. I think McCoy's learning curve is going to be hard for him to overcome to reach the status of a "franchise quarterback."

Personally, I would rather take a shot at a defensive lineman or cornerback than take either one of those two late in the 1st round when one of those three (Pike, McCoy and Tebow) will most likely be available when the team picks in the second round, assuming that all four underclassmen declare.

vikes_28
10-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I am actually thinking that DT isn't a need anymore. I have a feeling that Jimmy Kennedy could do a really good job being surrounded by defensive lineman like Kevin Williams and Jared Allen. And if Pat Williams teaches him a thing or two, I believe that Kennedy could be an above average starter. I say if the Vikings draft a DT, they should wait til the 4th or 5th round. Here is my list of what we need:

1. QB - Favre is just a temporary thing. I don't believe that he will be around next year. Or ya never know, he could be, and the Vikings could still draft someone like McCoy to learn from Favre for a season. I for one do not have faith in Rosenfels or Jackson.
2. CB - I am glad to see that the Vikings got a deal done with Winfield, but that doesn't mean he might start losing a step sometime soon. I would like to see the Vikings go CB for this pick. Not sure who yet, though..
3. RB - I have a feeling that Chester Taylor will be gone after this season. I think the Vikings should get a good complementary back for Peterson. Someone who is a power back who could pound the ball short yards on third downs. They could also get a back that is more or less a receiving back.

BGB
10-08-2009, 05:37 PM
How the hell is everyone coming up with DE as a need? Allen, Edwards, Robison is solid.

Our #1 need on D is saftey. Tyrell Johnson and Madeau Williams blow. Our back up DT's have done a good job when Pat isn't in but I guess you could say DT is right up there too.

On O we obviously need a QB of the future but if Chester leaves RB will be priority in the 1st 3-4 rounds. I think we could use some interior line help also as Hutch isn't getting any younger and Hererra and Sullivan haven't proven to be very good.

JFLO
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
How the hell is everyone coming up with DE as a need? Allen, Edwards, Robison is solid.

Our #1 need on D is saftey. Tyrell Johnson and Madeau Williams blow. Our back up DT's have done a good job when Pat isn't in but I guess you could say DT is right up there too.

On O we obviously need a QB of the future but if Chester leaves RB will be priority in the 1st 3-4 rounds. I think we could use some interior line help also as Hutch isn't getting any younger and Hererra and Sullivan haven't proven to be very good.

The #1 need is certainly not safety on defense. The team has invested too much in Williams and Johnson for them to draft a safety in the first or second round.

I'm sort of up in the air right now when it comes to whether or not Ray Edwards returns after this season. He's off to a decent start so far this season and if he keeps it up then I wouldn't be surprised to see a team offer him a lot of money.

yo123
10-09-2009, 02:52 AM
I agree with whoever said our #1 need isn't DE, even if Edwards doesn't step up I've always liked Robison and I think he's earned a shot during the limited playing time that he's had.

I'd rank kthem like this.

1. QB
2. G
3. CB
4. WR

I don't see DT as a huge need really, but not because of Kennedy like vikes said. I really like what Fred Evans has been doing.

General Zod
10-09-2009, 05:26 PM
For me without getting into a lot of details..

QB
OL
DT
FB
DE

O line just because of the age of Hutch, and maybe an upgrade over Herrera, and for when Cook sees the door. I do think that Kennedy/Evans would be solid if Pat were gone after this year.

Crazy_Chris
10-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Obviously #1 need is a QB, #2 is maybe a DT(depending on how they feel about guys like Fred Evans or Guion.

After that pretty much just need depth all over the place. I would like to see another pass rush DE, Safety Depth, O-line Depth, and a replacement for Chester Taylor.

djp
10-18-2009, 05:17 PM
After watching today's game our 2nd biggest need after QB is definitely safety. Madieu Williams is awful. He doesn't make plays on the ball and he can't tackle. What a colossal waste of money he has been so far.

yo123
10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not terribly impressed with Tyrell Johnson either. He's still young, but he's been pretty underwhelming so far.

FuzzyGopher
10-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I think we should go BPA this draft. QB is a need, and DT, CB, and S are also areas of concern. I'm hoping that Bradford falls hard and we scoop him up. If Favre played one more year (doubt it) he would be a great mentor for him.

vikes_28
10-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I think Safety should be a high priority in this draft. Madieu Williams is garbage. I'd like to get McCoy in the late first.

General Zod
10-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah, unless some kind of massive improvement, we need safety help. Also Id like an upgrade at DE for Ray Edwards. I think he is decent against the run, but thats it.

JFLO
10-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I think we should go BPA this draft. QB is a need, and DT, CB, and S are also areas of concern. I'm hoping that Bradford falls hard and we scoop him up. If Favre played one more year (doubt it) he would be a great mentor for him.

I'm down with this plan. I don't think we'll be in a situation where we'll be able to pick up a quarterback like Locker, Clausen or Bradford so we should definitely go BPA.

I don't think Tebow, McCoy or Pike are worthy of 1st round picks (maybe not even second round picks) so I just think that we should take the safer talent rather than risk it on a quarterback who probably won't even pan out the way preferred.

B-rand
10-19-2009, 11:57 PM

If it gets to be 3rd-4th round and Tebow is still there, I would gladly take him. There is something about a guy who just seems like a winner to me, and I want my team full of winners....which position he plays is open for discussion, but I'd look at QB first.

B-rand
10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
What's the initial scouting positioning on Taylor Mays??? Is he a high 1st rounder like a Sean Taylor

General Zod
10-20-2009, 07:37 AM
borderline top 10.

hagy34
11-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I've seen a few places that have the Bradford injury dropping him into the middle or late 1st. If he has a Rodgers or Quinn like fall we gotta scoop him up. I'm in the camp that thinks Favre will be back next year (he's loving the vikes and seems very healthy) and letting Bradford watch for a season is just what he would need. I'd fall in love with Chilly if he some how made that happen. Bradford, AD & Harvin are a nice little trio.

vikes_28
11-04-2009, 12:12 AM
hagy you're back.

FuzzyGopher
11-04-2009, 09:04 AM
QB, Safety, CB pleeeeeeeeeease. Our safeties take the worst angles I have ever seen and Williams cannot tackle. I still have a tiny bit of hope for Johnson, but he still really hasn't shown much. Williams is a damn liability back there though, a ton of the big plays we have given up are because he can't come up and make the tackle or he is just in the wrong place all together.

marshallb
11-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I've seen a few places that have the Bradford injury dropping him into the middle or late 1st. If he has a Rodgers or Quinn like fall we gotta scoop him up. I'm in the camp that thinks Favre will be back next year (he's loving the vikes and seems very healthy) and letting Bradford watch for a season is just what he would need. I'd fall in love with Chilly if he some how made that happen. Bradford, AD & Harvin are a nice little trio.

I feel and think the same as you, and I could definitely see it happening. Our offense would be set for a quite a while if we could get Bradford.

General Zod
11-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Im not a big fan of the Colt McCoy pick(Scotts latest mock). But Id love to have Nate Allen to help us at Safety. Meidu Williams has been **** for us this year. Or maybe Arthur Jones for depth and a replacement for fat Pat.
(yes, I posted this in the draft thread) :-P

FuzzyGopher
11-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm not a fan of McCoy either, but what the **** do I know. I loved Erasmus James and hated Greenway and Harvin. I'm still holding out hope that Bradford isn't ready by the time the combine and all the workouts come around and falls hard.

Kid_Ego
11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Greenway is the only player keeping that draft from being a complete an utter loss.
Harvin seems to line up every week I have been impressed with his over all toughness.
This year there is so many decent qbs Im not sure we need any one of them its best we just take the best over all player. Most likely we end up with McNabb for a season or two anyway. I wouldnt be against giving up a middle draft pick to ensure that. use the picks to replace aging players ala the patriots. Players especially qbs slide dont make any hasty descions take a dt or safty first round and let the draft come to us. Make a deal to get McNabb or Kolb build on what we have replacing aging players.

vikes_28
11-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I think we should trade a 2nd for Kevin Kolb.

General Zod
11-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Im not overly impressed with any of the QBs that might be there late in the first round.

marshallb
11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I think we should trade a 2nd for Kevin Kolb.

Im not overly impressed with any of the QBs that might be there late in the first round.

I agree with these. I would like to see us get a young potential franchise QB, but it'd be great if he is already semi-established and we don't have to wait for him to get ready. Other than trading for a guy like Kolb, we'd probably have to trade up in the first to get anyone worth it. I wouldn't mind us using a 2nd on Pike though, but his injury concerns and the job Collaros has done, scares me.

vikes_28
11-13-2009, 01:07 AM
I agree with these. I would like to see us get a young potential franchise QB, but it'd be great if he is already semi-established and we don't have to wait for him to get ready. Other than trading for a guy like Kolb, we'd probably have to trade up in the first to get anyone worth it. I wouldn't mind us using a 2nd on Pike though, but his injury concerns and the job Collaros has done, scares me.

Actually now that we all know that Kolb can be a decent starter I think we would have to fork up a first for him.

hagy34
11-13-2009, 01:51 AM
I'd hate Pike. He's really overrated and is going to fall in the middle of draft. 4th or 5th round. He's not that good.

As for Kolb there is no way we'd be able to get him for a 2nd and there's no way I'd trade a 1st for him. If we wanted to go after Kolb why not just move up in the 1st round for a QB this year.

There is going to be someone who falls into the middle to late 1st. When that happens I think we'll jump at that. Gotta talk Favre into one more season...that's key.

Crazy_Chris
11-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I'd hate Pike. He's really overrated and is going to fall in the middle of draft. 4th or 5th round. He's not that good.

As for Kolb there is no way we'd be able to get him for a 2nd and there's no way I'd trade a 1st for him. If we wanted to go after Kolb why not just move up in the 1st round for a QB this year.

There is going to be someone who falls into the middle to late 1st. When that happens I think we'll jump at that. Gotta talk Favre into one more season...that's key.

I don't think we nesecarilly have to talk Favre into 1 more season. They did sign Sage to an extension and he can be a half way decent game manager to play while they groom a Young QB. But than again unless we actually end up winning the SB I don't think we will have any trouble getting Favre to come back for 1 more year.

Also I agree on Tony Pike he was very over-rated, I don't think he is a 4th-5th rounder however. In the end I would say 3rd round with an outside chance at the 2nd.

Actually now that we all know that Kolb can be a decent starter I think we would have to fork up a first for him.

I don't think a trade for Kolb would end up happening. I just don't really see why Andy Reid would want to trade Kolb. Especially considering that McNabb has always been pretty injury prone Kolb is valuable for the Eagles for the future and their present(as a very capable backup). Also considering if Andy feels that kid can be thier next franchise QB there is no way he lets him go. However if for some reason andy does want to trade Kolb it would definatly take at least our 1st round pick and maybe another later pick.

I am not that extremely impressed with any of them either. However I do find Colt McCoy a bit intriguing he's very accurate, intelligent, and has some good intangibles. Other than McCoy, I don't like any of the QB's that are likely to be available for the Vikes.

superman8456
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Kolb is pretty beast. He played some great ball when Donovan was out with that rib injury earlier this season.

hagy34
11-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Kolb is pretty beast. He played some great ball when Donovan was out with that rib injury earlier this season.

You're completely ignoring how bad Kolb has looked as well. "Beast" is a bit of an overstatement.

hagy34
11-18-2009, 04:41 PM
I just updated our 2010 Needs thread below....take a peak and let me know what you guys think.

Kid_Ego
11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Come on we are Viking fans we never get what we want. It wouldnt surprise me if we end up signing Rex Grossman and drafting Tim Tebow Childress goes to the florida well way too many times lol. Sorry the guy still hasnt sold me that he can win a playoff game his game time descions leave something to be desired. A double reverse CHilly? really that rates right up there with a screen pass on the 1 yd line or three play action passes from the 6 inch line with AP on the roster

hagy34
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
We will not touch Tebow. Write that down...

djp
11-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I wonder if we will look at a guy like Toby Gerhart at the end of Round 1 with Chester Taylor being a UFA. Maybe even a guy like Jahvid Best falls if he comes out.

hagy34
11-23-2009, 12:51 AM
I wonder if we will look at a guy like Toby Gerhart at the end of Round 1 with Chester Taylor being a UFA. Maybe even a guy like Jahvid Best falls if he comes out.

Gerhart is a giant no. He's a big, bruising, between the tackles type guy and that's not what we need if Chester leaves. I already said I'd be on board with a guy like Spiller assuming there's no option at QB for us. That being said RB would be a HUGE luxury in round one and I'd prefer we look the defensive side of the ball if there isn't an option at QB.

vikes_28
11-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Spiller would be an awesome pick. But I'd rather go QB or S there.

hagy34
11-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Spiller would be an awesome pick. But I'd rather go QB or S there.

Me too but there has gotta be someone there who's worth it. I have a feeling we'll have to move up a little to grab a QB and I'm undecided on who will be there at S. Time will tell....

FuzzyGopher
12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Safety
4. Safety
5. Safety
6. Safety
7. Safety

And pray to God that one of them pans out.

marshallb
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
That game last night really shows we need a S big time. Nate Allen is sounding pretty damn good to me or someone like Earl Thomas if he comes out.

As of right now, I want us to resign Edwards, and then in round 1 take either a QB if there is a worthy one available or if not a S.

Also, what do you guys think about signing Campbell this offseason, he looked really good yesterday and has looked quite good the past couple games with the Skins weapons. I know this was brought up this offseason on here, and most people liked the idea, I just want to know how opinions have changed.

djp
12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Gerhart is a giant no. He's a big, bruising, between the tackles type guy and that's not what we need if Chester leaves. I already said I'd be on board with a guy like Spiller assuming there's no option at QB for us. That being said RB would be a HUGE luxury in round one and I'd prefer we look the defensive side of the ball if there isn't an option at QB.

Gerhart fits into any system. Chester goes between the tackles more effectively than outside imo. Spiller ain't falling to us. Gerhart would allow us to absolutely batter teams.

djp
12-07-2009, 01:05 PM
I hope we take a chance on Jimmy Graham from Miami. He is a 6'8 260 lb TE that is in his first year of college football after playing power forward on Miami's basketball team.

He has every tool in the book physically. Guy got better every single game Miami played and could potentially be an impact tight end in the NFL if he can shore up his blocking and route running.

Maybe the 4th or 5th round. Shiancoe will probably not be worth his next contract and I'd love to take care of that position.

Round 1 is definitely going to be a safety through and through. I am wondering if Childress is willing to try to develop another rookie QB, if we explore something via trade or FA instead.

Round 2, I am guessing, will be a running back, outside linebacker, or possibly even another safety. I'm not willing to give up on Tyrell Johnson just yet. He shows flashes of being a good NFL safety.

General Zod
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
With EJ injury possibly carrer ending, and just his overall injury issues, I would think that LB should be addressed in the round 1 or 2.

djp
12-07-2009, 01:45 PM
With EJ injury possibly carrer ending, and just his overall injury issues, I would think that LB should be addressed in the round 1 or 2.

Let's wait and see how Jasper Brinkley plays. His skillset matches up very well with our defensive system.

BGB
12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Let's wait and see how Jasper Brinkley plays. His skillset matches up very well with our defensive system.

Doesn't our defensive system ask our MLB to drop back in coverage quite a bit? If so I'm not sure Brinkley fits that mold.

djp
12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Doesn't our defensive system ask our MLB to drop back in coverage quite a bit? If so I'm not sure Brinkley fits that mold.

On nickel and dime downs, yes, but Ben Leber can play that spot like he did last year when Henderson went down. Brinkley is only going to be in on the base defense, and our scheme with Pat Williams on his game lets the linebackers roam free.

BGB
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
On nickel and dime downs, yes, but Ben Leber can play that spot like he did last year when Henderson went down. Brinkley is only going to be in on the base defense, and our scheme with Pat Williams on his game lets the linebackers roam free.

I'd rather our MLB be on the field at all times and be one of the leaders of the defense. If the stud MLB from Alabama fell to us in the draft I'd love it if we swooped him up.

The Legend
12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Ryan Mallett late in the first round, or Tony Pike in the second round. Terrence Cody to replace Pat Williams in the future if he's there. Greg Hardy, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Greg Romeus, and Carlos Dunlap. One of them should be there.

vikes_28
12-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Ryan Mallett late in the first round, or Tony Pike in the second round. Terrence Cody to replace Pat Williams in the future if he's there. Greg Hardy, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Greg Romeus, and Carlos Dunlap. One of them should be there.

I'm starting to finally agree with the people who give the Vikings Ryan Mallet. Especially if he comes out. I'm thinking that he will come out now that Jake Locker is not going to. I would be happy as a hoe with a bag of wieners if we drafted Mallett.

Crazy_Chris
12-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Ryan Mallet seems to be over hyped right now from him being a big time recruit and being 6'8 with a rocket arm. It's still really early in the process but I am not crazy about a guy with accuracy issues for the WCO. Right now I am not too excited about any of the QB options the Vikes will have where they will be picking.

marshallb
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm starting to finally agree with the people who give the Vikings Ryan Mallet. Especially if he comes out. I'm thinking that he will come out now that Jake Locker is not going to. I would be happy as a hoe with a bag of wieners if we drafted Mallett.

I'm the same way. I was against Mallett big time before, but he grew on me, and I would be quite happy with taking him in the first.

vikes_28
12-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Ryan Mallet seems to be over hyped right now from him being a big time recruit and being 6'8 with a rocket arm. It's still really early in the process but I am not crazy about a guy with accuracy issues for the WCO. Right now I am not too excited about any of the QB options the Vikes will have where they will be picking.

You're right. But unless we trade up into the top 10, which would cost us two first round picks, then we aren't getting anyone that's any better. It's Colt McCoy or Ryan Mallet.

marshallb
12-15-2009, 12:59 PM
You're right. But unless we trade up into the top 10, which would cost us two first round picks, then we aren't getting anyone that's any better. It's Colt McCoy or Ryan Mallet.

that is definitely what it looks like. Mallett has all the talent and tools, and his accuracy improved throughout the season. Favre would be the perfect guy to learn from too. Brett was/is a strong armed QB who had accuracy issues in college.

Crazy_Chris
12-15-2009, 11:19 PM

Well thats fine too just because they need a QB doesn't mean they absolutly have to get a QB in the first round this year. If someone good like Bradford drops within reach of a trade pull the trigger. If not focus on taking the BPA, there are going to be a lot options I could see them taking this year. Like I said it's still early but I could potentially see any one of QB, S, DT, DE, CB, LB, or maybe even RB.

wogitalia
12-17-2009, 12:08 AM
I'd be kind of excited by Colt McCoy in the mid 2nd round, possibly even early 2nd. I think he would be a pretty perfect fit in our system, give him a year or 2 to develop. His accuracy at Texas has just been ridiculous.

The draft is interesting, I think if one of the top 3 DTs is available we have to take a long look at them, Cody replaces Pat pretty well. Suh or McCoy next to Kwill would just be stupid sick and highly unlikely I know.

Safety is interesting, it is an obvious need but I don't like the value there, Mays and Berry will be long gone, and really, Mays is not what we need anyway.

Cornerback is certainly an option, Patrick Robinson has a solid chance of being there still and I really like him for us opposite Winfield with the idea to eventually replace. If Haden were to slip for some reason, we should jump all over him also.

Gresham at TE is also certainly an option imo. Though TE remains a position you can fill in late rounds for now and I'm not sure the top round guys give enough added value.

If someone like McClain fell we would be stupid to let him go.

I like Spiller or Best next to AP also and could create a scary combination.

DE is also a chance, should be a pretty deep draft and we could certainly use a bit better player at RE.

thule
12-17-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Kafka as a mid round QB for the vikings. He is a game much in the mold of Farve/Romo who would fit the scheme. Just throwing the name out there...you guys should check him out...he is a much better fit for your system than Mallett or McCoy

Crazy_Chris
12-17-2009, 05:43 PM
I'd be kind of excited by Colt McCoy in the mid 2nd round, possibly even early 2nd. I think he would be a pretty perfect fit in our system, give him a year or 2 to develop. His accuracy at Texas has just been ridiculous.

Yea I wouldn't be real excited either but I wouldn't mind at all if they took McCoy because he seems to be a very good fit for the system.

The draft is interesting, I think if one of the top 3 DTs is available we have to take a long look at them, Cody replaces Pat pretty well. Suh or McCoy next to Kwill would just be stupid sick and highly unlikely I know.

Don't think they will have any shot a MT Cody I think a 3-4 team picks him up long before the Vikes pick. The guy I am liking is Dan Williams from Tennessee he should be around when the Vikes pick. I think he would be a great replacement for Pat that will help maintain our Rush D dominance.

Safety is interesting, it is an obvious need but I don't like the value there, Mays and Berry will be long gone, and really, Mays is not what we need anyway.

Cornerback is certainly an option, Patrick Robinson has a solid chance of being there still and I really like him for us opposite Winfield with the idea to eventually replace. If Haden were to slip for some reason, we should jump all over him also.

I think CB could Pretty much kill 2 birds(winfield replacement, Safety) with 1 stone. If there is a good CB available they can draft him plug him in across from Cedric Griffin and move Winfield back to strong safety. So CB is most definatly a possibility IMO.

I like Spiller or Best next to AP also and could create a scary combination.

The only RB I like in round 1 for the Vikes is CJ Spiller. Although he most likely to be gone by when the Vikes pick but you never know.

BlueBandit24
12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I have to agree with those who say that safety is our most pressing need at this point. I am not sure what happened to Madieu Williams, but his play has tailed off considerably; Johnson's shown some flashes but has been overall inconsistent. I would love to see a solid two-way safety who can hold his own coverage but is also a willing tackler - the tackling by our safety duo has been pretty embarrassing.

Plenty of other needs: QB is obvious; we could use some DT depth behind Pat Williams but I am alright with Kennedy and Evans at this point; a versatile back to replace Chester would be nice but more of a luxury, and there are plenty of other positions (OLB, CB, OT) that we could use some depth/talent at.

I feel as though the 2010 draft is going to be an exciting one because the Vikings can go so many different directions.

FuzzyGopher
12-21-2009, 11:09 PM
If Joe Mcknight comes out I would love to take him in the later rounds. I see safety as a huge need but I don't really know who will be there when we pick. I think BPA is the best way to go in the first this year.

prock
12-26-2009, 06:18 PM
we need a safety and a quarterback asap. thats first priority. i am a huge fan of dan williams, but i doubt he will fall to us. otherwise safety or quarterback need to be addressed first. if ray comes back, de isnt really a need, but could be addressed in the late rounds. a running back who can catch the ball out of the back field is also a need that we should fill in the first four rounds.

Crazy_Chris
12-29-2009, 08:47 PM
we need a safety and a quarterback asap. thats first priority. i am a huge fan of dan williams, but i doubt he will fall to us. otherwise safety or quarterback need to be addressed first. if ray comes back, de isnt really a need, but could be addressed in the late rounds. a running back who can catch the ball out of the back field is also a need that we should fill in the first four rounds.

It's still extraordinarly early in the process but Safety and QB doesn't look like it will have good Value where the Vikes will be picking in RD1. If a couple of JR DT's declare(Marvin Austin & Brian Price) that will be the position of need with the best value. I like Dan Williams, Marvin Austin, and Brian Price for the Vikes in round 1 if they are gone trade down pickup a safety. There are couple of safeties I love in mid round 2 Nate Allen, and Reshad Jones.

Ideally for me right now the draft would look like this
1.Dan Williams/Marvin Austin/Brian Price
2.(trade up) Reshad Jones/Nate Allen
3.G/C prospect

I think a Vikes need flying under the radar is Interior Linemen. Sullivan has done decently well in Pass protection and is good at pulling but he just doesn't get a good push in the run game so it wouldn't be a bad Idea to get somone to compete with him. Herrara has been pretty mediocre so far this year, and could use someone to push him aswell. Also Hicks and Cook are both free agents and while they may re-sign hicks I don't see cook getting re-signed. So getting a young guy who can provide some Interior depth and push Sullivan & Herrara is a priority IMO.

FuzzyGopher
12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
1. Greg Hardy
2. Tony Pike
3. Best available DB,RG or C

DHVF
12-30-2009, 10:20 AM
1. Greg Hardy
2. Tony Pike
3. Best available DB,RG or C
1. 1st round DE??? No thanks, I'd be fine with letting Robison assume our LDE spot if we let Edwards go.
2. I'd also pass on Pike as he definitely looks to be a system type of QB.
3. Sullivan's been fine for the most part and I don't think I'd be looking to replace him yet.

vikes_28
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Colt McCoy > Tony Pike in the 2nd round

BlueBandit24
12-30-2009, 04:25 PM
It's still extraordinarly early in the process but Safety and QB doesn't look like it will have good Value where the Vikes will be picking in RD1. If a couple of JR DT's declare(Marvin Austin & Brian Price) that will be the position of need with the best value. I like Dan Williams, Marvin Austin, and Brian Price for the Vikes in round 1 if they are gone trade down pickup a safety. There are couple of safeties I love in mid round 2 Nate Allen, and Reshad Jones.

It looks like Price declared today...I agree that DT should be well-stocked towards the end of Round 1, though new needs are popping up every day.

djp
01-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Earl Thomas goes pro. Yes please.

Crazy_Chris
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Earl Thomas goes pro. Yes please.

Good to hear he declared, he is second on my wish list behind only Sam Bradford.

vikes_28
01-09-2010, 02:48 AM
1. Earl Thomas
2. Sam Bradford
3. Ryan Mallet/ BPA?

Crazy_Chris
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
1. Earl Thomas
2. Sam Bradford
3. Ryan Mallet/ BPA?

He is returning to Arkansas.

vikes_28
01-09-2010, 04:55 PM
He is returning to Arkansas.

:(

10 chars...

marshallb
01-10-2010, 11:39 AM
How would you guys rank the top 10 or so Safeties for this draft? lets assume both Chad Jones and Morgan Burnett come out for arguments sake.

vikes_28
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Morgan Burnett has to be high on our radar. He is a great player.

marshallb
01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Morgan Burnett has to be high on our radar. He is a great player.

I like him a lot and would love him in the 2nd somewhere. I don't think his value is there for the 1st, but I don't know if he'll last to the end of the 2nd.

BGB
01-11-2010, 05:08 PM
How would you guys rank the top 10 or so Safeties for this draft? lets assume both Chad Jones and Morgan Burnett come out for arguments sake.

No need to assume. I'd rank em like this.

Eric Berry
Taylor Mays
Earl Thomas
Chad Jones (just decalred)
Morgan Burnett (just declared)
Nate Allen

Crazy_Chris
01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I reserve the right to drastically change these rankings over the next few months :), but for now here is how I see it.

1st Round
Eric Berry
Earl Thomas
Taylor Mays

Late 1st-early 2nd
Chad Jones

Second
Nate Allen
Morgan Burnett
Reshad Jones

I am loving the Depth for the S class now that C.Jones and Burnett declared. If there isn't good S value for the Vikes in RD1, there should be some good ones still available in the middle of round 2.

vikes_28
01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
What do you guys think of Jason Campbell in free agency this year if the CBA gets renewed.

the_legend_killer
01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I've always thought if Campbell was in a system for more than a year at a time he could be good. So yeah, assuming Favre doesn't come back, I wouldn't mind Jason coming to Minnesota.

vikes_28
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Vikings 3 round mock with the vikings picking 32nd, 64th and 96th:

1. Brian Price
2. Morgan Burnett
3. Jevan Snead.

djp
01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of Burnett as a prospect, actually. He was really bad this year in 5/6 Ramblin Wreck games that I saw. Absolutely horrid angles. He's also not as rangy as I'd like from a safety.

the_legend_killer
01-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I drafted him on a franchise I'm doing in Madden and he's been good. I know that's the defining factor when looking into these things, lol. But, addressing the safety issue in the offseason is a must, although so far Sanford has been a pleasant surprise in his limited time in.

hagy34
01-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Chad Jones is my favorite among the safeties that will be available when we are on the clock. Safety has got to be our number one need outside of QB at this point...

As for my dream 1st round picks:

*Sam Bradford -- We'd have to get lucky and even if we do we'll have to move up a little.

*Chad Jones -- This kid has loads of potential and would be a huge long term upgrade.

*Mike Iupati -- I love this guy. Our offensive line has been disappointing this year and he can play anywhere. Throw him in at RG next year and move him to LG when Hutch calls it quits.

General Zod
01-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Scotts latest mock is up. Im not crazy about the pick. While I think that Dan Williams will be a fine DT in the league, id rather see us go safety with our first pick. Im still on the Nate Allen bandwagon for the time being.

Also if Mike Iupati is still there at our pick, I wouldnt mind seeing that either. The guy is a run blocking mauler who would be nice at RG.

*Mike Iupati -- I love this guy. Our offensive line has been disappointing this year and he can play anywhere. Throw him in at RG next year and move him to LG when Hutch calls it quits.

Im with you there.

vikes_28
01-23-2010, 02:42 AM
To tell ya the truth, I think we should give Jamarca Sanford a shot before we draft another safety.

djp
01-23-2010, 03:56 AM
To tell ya the truth, I think we should give Jamarca Sanford a shot before we draft another safety.

We need 2 safeties, one in the first 2 rounds, one in the middle rounds. Cut Madieu Williams and roll with Sanford and Johnson + the 2 rookies imo. Take a NT prospect, take guard, take qb.

need to come out with those 4 positions in this upcoming draft.

BlueBandit24
01-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd be OK with Dan Williams even though I feel we have adequate depth behind Pat Williams. Jones or Iupati would be a great in my book -- I also feel we might be an ideal spot to trade back into the 2nd as some team tries to move back into the 1st.

Monomach
01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I'd be OK with Dan Williams even though I feel we have adequate depth behind Pat Williams. Jones or Iupati would be a great in my book -- I also feel we might be an ideal spot to trade back into the 2nd as some team tries to move back into the 1st.

Yes. The Vikes NEED Dan Williams.

Williams wall will be intact after Pat retires.

djp
01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't be displeased with Dan Williams at all.

Assuming we match any reasonable offer for Ray Edwards, cut Madieu Williams, and possibly cut Berrian, and Favre retires

this is my order of needs

1) QB
2) SS
3) 4-3 NT
4) #2 WR (Harvin should stay in the slot)
5) RB (if we don't re-sign Chester, who appears to be willing to come back for cheap)

just a quick look at the draft of people that could possibly be there, i'd list them as

1a) Earl Thomas (probably no chance but I could see it)
1b) Dan Williams
2) Mike Iupati ((not a huge need but we have shown ability to go BPA))
3) Rejus Benn/Golden Tate
4) Chad Jones/Nate Allen
5) Jahvid Best (I feel like they lean towards taking a 3rd down back later in draft instead of Rd 1 if Chester leaves)
6) Morgan Burnett

Crazy_Chris
01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't see them cutting Bernard Berrian at all, he didn't have a great year but he was struggling with injuries for the majority of the year. He got way more money than he should have but actually he is going to be good value for the vikes over the next couple of years.

3/1/2008: Signed a six-year, $43.4 million contract. The deal contains $16 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and a first-year roster bonus of $8 million. 2009: $2.395 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2010: $3.7 million, 2011: $3.9 million, 2012: $6.9 million, 2013: $7.9 million, 2014: Free Agent

Personally I love our 3 WR set with Rice & Berrian on the outside and Harvin working out of the slot. I think these three guys skill sets complitment each other very well.

djp
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't see them cutting Bernard Berrian at all, he didn't have a great year but he was struggling with injuries for the majority of the year. He got way more money than he should have but actually he is going to be good value for the vikes over the next couple of years.

Personally I love our 3 WR set with Rice & Berrian on the outside and Harvin working out of the slot. I think these three guys skill sets complitment each other very well.

Wow, that's a great find. We will definitely keep Berrian for that pricetag for the next 2 years. Sick deal by Spielman.

I'm not a big Berrian guy at all personally. Rice does everything he does but much better. But he's got running from the cops speed and that's a pretty good cap number for a player who's got talent.

vikes_28
01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I think we should add RB to the top 3 needs. Adrian Peterson needs to be told to hang onto the damn football or he'll be taken out. If there is someone who can hold onto the ball better than get him.

russie
01-26-2010, 07:19 AM
anyone interested in terrence "mount" cody if his current weigh-in debacle drops him to the bottom of the third? with fat pat possibly retiring this season, and maybe only coming back for next season, he might be a good replacement. cody doesnt seem to have the pass rush skills, but he is definitely a line/toilet clogger

marshallb
01-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I definitely think we should and will keep Berrian as he has talent, and his contract isn't bad for the next 2 years.
As far as RB goes, I'd love to see us take Montario Hardesty in the 3rd. From what I've read, he hasn't fumbled once in college.

Right now, as far as dream drafts go, I'd go with either:
1. Sam Bradford
2. Morgan Burnett
3. Montario Hardesty

1. Nate Allen/Chad Jones
2. Colt McCoy
3. Montario Hardesty

prock
01-26-2010, 11:04 AM
I definitely think we should and will keep Berrian as he has talent, and his contract isn't bad for the next 2 years.
As far as RB goes, I'd love to see us take Montario Hardesty in the 3rd. From what I've read, he hasn't fumbled once in college.

1. Sam Bradford 1. Nate Allen/Chad Jones
2. Morgan Burnett 2. Colt McCoy
3. Montario Hardesty 3. Montario Hardesty

thats my dream draft as well. i am starting to warmup to iupati if he is available, as well...

marshallb
01-26-2010, 11:05 AM
thats my dream draft as well. i am starting to warmup to iupati if he is available, as well...

I agree, I don't think G is as big of a need as QB and S, but it is up there now.

BlueBandit24
01-26-2010, 11:06 AM

1. Sam Bradford 1. Nate Allen/Chad Jones
2. Morgan Burnett 2. Colt McCoy
3. Montario Hardesty 3. Montario Hardesty

I really like Hardesty a lot as well. He runs hard and just looks like he has a good feel for the position. I feel he's a guy who will be a great backup and can also step in and produce for brief stretches if the starter goes down.

I don't think Bradford is an elite quarterback prospect, but in our system I feel he could thrive. If he drops a bit I'd love to see us make an attempt to move up and nab him.

FuzzyGopher
01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
If Favre retires than I think O-line is a big priority. We couldn't run block for **** this year, and if we have T-Jack or Rosenfels we will need AD to have some breathing room to take the pressure of the QB's.

djp
01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Again, I really don't think we are going to look at Colt McCoy. I just don't think he has the arm Childress is looking for. I am not saying McCoy is gonna be an NFL bust, but I just don't think his skillset fits into our offensive scheme.

Dan LeFevour is interesting to me as a project 4th-6th round QB.. he was putting some nice zip on his 15-25 yard throws in Senior Bowl practice. Maybe not a starter, but definitely a solid backup in my opinion.

I think Childress goes hard after McNabb if Favre goes, and if not, probably go into TC with the same QB scenario as last year with Rosenfels and Jackson battling it out. Kevin Kolb is an option as well via trade.

If there is one mistake Childress has made it was failing to pull the trigger for Matt Schaub when we had the chance for a 2nd.

djp
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
anyone interested in terrence "mount" cody if his current weigh-in debacle drops him to the bottom of the third? with fat pat possibly retiring this season, and maybe only coming back for next season, he might be a good replacement. cody doesnt seem to have the pass rush skills, but he is definitely a line/toilet clogger

Yeah, I'm not a big Cody fan. He seems lazy and unintelligent to me. Dan Williams is a much better prospect in my book. I think Cody drops to round 2 or possibly round 3 as the predraft workouts go on.

Kid_Ego
01-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Im not sure intelligence is a priority when it comes to DT. I have totally lost any love I had for Colt McCoy after the national title game. I have said all along I believe McNabb will be the qb of the vikings. Along with another project pick like zack robinson. WHich I dont hate near as much as I wold hate the Idea of wasting a 1st rounder on a non starter. I think our saftys are better then most give credit. Look at some of the passing games we faced and shut down.My personal list goes something like this.
DT
LB
CB
QB
Safety
RB
OL
We need a replacement for PAT And Kevin is no spring chicken
MLB to compete with brinkley because Im not sure how much longer we keep EJ due to chronic injuries. Plus Leber isnt young
QB Im not a fan of taking a qb unless he starts and no rookie Qb will be that successful
Rb is easiest to replace
OL I blame as much of petersons decline on peterson as I do the O line

djp
01-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Im not sure intelligence is a priority when it comes to DT. I have totally lost any love I had for Colt McCoy after the national title game. I have said all along I believe McNabb will be the qb of the vikings. Along with another project pick like zack robinson. WHich I dont hate near as much as I wold hate the Idea of wasting a 1st rounder on a non starter. I think our saftys are better then most give credit. Look at some of the passing games we faced and shut down.My personal list goes something like this.
DT
LB
CB
QB
Safety
RB
OL
We need a replacement for PAT And Kevin is no spring chicken
MLB to compete with brinkley because Im not sure how much longer we keep EJ due to chronic injuries. Plus Leber isnt young
QB Im not a fan of taking a qb unless he starts and no rookie Qb will be that successful
Rb is easiest to replace
OL I blame as much of petersons decline on peterson as I do the O line

Outside of a kicker, I want every player on my football team to have good FBI (football instincts). I just don't see that with Cody. That's me, however, and you're right, the guy would have one role in the NFL, but I just feel like he is a one-trick pony and that Dan Williams at least has shown some sign of potentially being able to get some pressure up the middle.

Zac Robinson is awful. He is Tebow with a worse frame, worse production, worst arm, and worse intangibles. He's going to be a 6th rounder at best. He really brings nothing to the table as a prospect.

Any thoughts on LeFevour if we are going mid-round for a QB?

djp
01-26-2010, 02:36 PM
VERY early dream mock for me

1) Earl Thomas
2) Daryl Washington
3) Ed Dickson
4) Joe McKnight
5) Zoltan Mesko
6) Syd'Quan Thompson

the_legend_killer
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Any thoughts on LeFevour if we are going mid-round for a QB?

I'd love it. He's shown below average zip on his passes so far at Senior Day, but I'd love to have him as a 3rd developmental QB.

vikes_28
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Tebowzzzzz

Crazy_Chris
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
VERY early dream mock for me

1) Earl Thomas
2) Daryl Washington
3) Ed Dickson
4) Joe McKnight
5) Zoltan Mesko
6) Syd'Quan Thompson

Haven't seen to many people in this thread talking about Daryl Washington but I really like him as a 2nd rnd possibility for the Vikings.

djp
01-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Haven't seen to many people in this thread talking about Daryl Washington but I really like him as a 2nd rnd possibility for the Vikings.

He's my guy in this draft. He can play any of the three linebacker spots for us, although I think his best fit is on the weakside (where we currently have Greenway).. he'd be a stud strongside linebacker, though. He can definitely cover NFL TE's from what I have seen.

He's a huge hitter, he's quick, he covers extremely well, and he is productive and a leader.

There are flaws in his game, but our current scheme allows for our linebackers to roam a ton. He's not going to take on any blocks and win many POA battles.

He's a realistic possibility @ 30 and I could see him being there at 62 in a perfect world, but I really doubt it.

Definitely a luxury pick since Leber has been serviceable, so I don't really see them moving up to get him.

JFLO
01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm a massive Daryl Washington fan myself and would love to have him on the team next year.

I think he's a Top 20 talent player who just hasn't gotten as much publicity as players like McClain and other essential defensive players.

Kid_Ego
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I think the combine is going to cure that id be shocked if we could get washington in the first round hardly the second. Remember precombine drafts change completely once the combine has come and goneI wouldnt be surprised if we were able to get mt cody to go along with mt mckinnie

jimmylishis
01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
What do you guys think of Brian Price. No one has really been talking about him on here. Personally I would love it if we could somehow land him if he falls. Hes going to be a stud.

JFLO
01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure the team has a fit for Brian Price. I don't think he is the definite replacement for Pat Williams if that is what the team would be aiming after.

I think Dan Williams or maybe even Jared Odrick would be a better pick than Brian Price, even if he is available at 30, which I don't see happening.

prock
01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
yup, brian price definitely isnt a NT. i agree with you that he is gonna be a machine, but he plays the same position as kevin, so that would be a completely wasted pick. we need someone like dan williams if we go the DT route. i would prefer a safety and a quarterback in the first two rounds. chad jones/colt mccoy anyone?

JFLO
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
yup, brian price definitely isnt a NT. i agree with you that he is gonna be a machine, but he plays the same position as kevin, so that would be a completely wasted pick. we need someone like dan williams if we go the DT route. i would prefer a safety and a quarterback in the first two rounds. chad jones/colt mccoy anyone?

I'm not nearly as familiar with Chad Jones as I am with players like Thomas, Berry, Mays or even Nate Allen, so I can't say I agree or disagree.

I mean, I know he's a hell of an athlete but how is he in coverage/angles and awareness. Obviously he is still a bit raw because he didn't focus fully on the fooseball, but still nonetheless, he is a great talent.

Quarterback wise, I think I would rather have Tebow than McCoy. I really don't see McCoy fulfilling any of the "Jake Plummer" potential and if Tebow doesn't flourish as an NFL quarterback, he can at least be a great H-Back at the next level.

What's Colt McCoy's second option? Pine.

prock
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm not nearly as familiar with Chad Jones as I am with players like Thomas, Berry, Mays or even Nate Allen, so I can't say I agree or disagree.

I mean, I know he's a hell of an athlete but how is he in coverage/angles and awareness. Obviously he is still a bit raw because he didn't focus fully on the fooseball, but still nonetheless, he is a great talent.

Quarterback wise, I think I would rather have Tebow than McCoy. I really don't see McCoy fulfilling any of the "Jake Plummer" potential and if Tebow doesn't flourish as an NFL quarterback, he can at least be a great H-Back at the next level.

What's Colt McCoy's second option? Pine.

i hate tim tebow more than any other athlete except for tyler hansborough. ill take colt mccoy :)

vikes_28
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Tebowzzz please.

DHVF
01-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah I'll go ahead and say neither. Gimme Jevan Snead before either and then we can just go ahead and hope he fixes his accuracy issues.

JFLO
01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Wasn't even thinking of Snead...

I would take him as well, but if he is gone than I'm aiming for Tebow.

So, who are some senior bowl players that you guys would like to see in a Vikes uni in 2010?

Here are some of mine:

- Joe Webb ATH Alabama-Birmingham - I've basically became a big fan of his over the week. I wouldn't mind the team taking him with a 6th/7th round pick.

- Syd'Quan Thompson CB California - Seems to be a poor man's Antoine Winfield and he could learn a lot from Winfield. Asher Allen seems to be the guy as of late, but we'll see.

- Daryl Washington LB Texas Christian - Highly doubt it happens but I'm a big fan of his, he is going to be a great pro.

- Cam Thomas DT North Carolina - Put on a decent show this week and has the size to be an eventual project replacement for Pat Williams.

- Nate Allen S South Florida

- Mike Iupati - Definitely won't happen but one can always have dreams

the_legend_killer
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
After his showing yesterday I'm surely on board with a mid-late round drafting of Dan LeFevour.

vikes_28
01-31-2010, 10:01 PM
After the Senior Bowl I don't see Tebow getting drafted in the first round. I'll put my money on McCoy. Tebow just struggled. And his release is SLOW.

prock
01-31-2010, 10:04 PM
After the Senior Bowl I don't see Tebow getting drafted in the first round. I'll put my money on McCoy. Tebow just struggled. And his release is SLOW.

sooo incredibly slow. slower than byron leftwich.

BlueBandit24
02-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Tebow looks like he's launching a grenade across the field with that release. I'd be pretty upset if he we tried to fix the quarterback position by spending a pick on him. I don't think there's a solution in this draft, but if we do look to spend a 3rd or later pick on a developmental prospect I'd hope it's Jevan Snead.

hagy34
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
The only way I'd want a QB in this draft is if it was Colt McCoy with our 2nd round pick. Now I don't expect him to last that long so I'm basically saying I don't want a QB. Clausen and Bradford won't happen and the rest of the guys just make me sick to think about. I'd like to see us address DT, OL, DB in this draft. On the positive side, it sure is nice to have our skill positions (RB,WR,TE) pretty much set. Whoever our QB is cannot say he doesn't have weapons.

djp
02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Link to my big board

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38374

General Zod
02-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Tebow looks like he's launching a grenade across the field with that release. I'd be pretty upset if he we tried to fix the quarterback position by spending a pick on him. I don't think there's a solution in this draft, but if we do look to spend a 3rd or later pick on a developmental prospect I'd hope it's Jevan Snead.

I dont know man, Snead looked pretty awful at times this last season. Im just really having a hard time this year with any of the QBs coming out. Thats just me.

marshallb
02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I dont know man, Snead looked pretty awful at times this last season. Im just really having a hard time this year with any of the QBs coming out. Thats just me.

I agree, right now the only QBs I really like and would bet on being starting QBs in the NFL are Bradford and Clausen, and while I like to hope we have a slight chance at getting Bradford, the odds are against it. After that it's a total crap shoot, McCoy, Snead, Tebow, Pike, and LeFevour have all been mentioned and they may have some tools, they are all lacking quite a bit in more than a few categories. I could see one or maybe 2 of them working out, but which one? I still like McCoy most out of those, but he doesn't have the arm strength and may have a tough time. He is the only one of those I'd take in the 2nd round, and now I'd only do that if no one of great value is available. The rest, I'd be willing to take a chance on, but probably not until the 4th on most. I just don't see a whole lot separating any of them.

BlueBandit24
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm certainly not high on Snead, I just feel he's one of the few guys after Clausen and Bradford who has a puncher's chance of developing into an above-average quarterback. If the Vikings were going to spend a pick on of those mid-round quarterbacks, I'd prefer it be Snead as opposed to Tebow, LeFevour, Skelton, etc.

vikes_28
02-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't think we should stop looking at Pike.

marshallb
02-03-2010, 08:44 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you by any means, I def. think we should continue looking at all the QBs, but right now there isn't much separating a whole batch of them and all have major question marks. I was a fan of Pike's earlier in the year, and there was one point where I would have considered him in the late first, but that time passed long ago. I could see him being a good starting QB, but I could also see him out of the league in a few years. It's the same way for a lot of these QBs, and right now I'm leaning more towards the latter with most. At this point in time, I'd rather fill other needs and get depth and trade for a veteran after the draft with next year's picks. Hell, I'd throw a 2011 first and mid rounder at the Eagles for either McNabb or Kolb, and be very happy with it.

hagy34
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Pike sucks. He would just be another QB in a long list of crappy options that we've rolled in here during the Chilly era. Aside from Clausen and Bradford there isn't much in this class. McCoy might be decent but the rest of these guys look pretty brutal to me. Just because its a huge need doesn't mean we should close our eyes and pick a random QB in this draft. It seems to me that most people are looking at the group of below average QBs in this draft and just giving us one of them.

BlueBandit24
02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
It seems to me that most people are looking at the group of below average QBs in this draft and just giving us one of them.

What's wrong with that? They're going to be a star under QB guru Brad Childress. ;)

This quarterback class does suck out loud and it's really unfortunate. We're too low to really move up for Bradford or Clausen and no other quarterback really screams NFL starter. Hopefully the 2010 quarterback crop fulfills the promise it holds currently so we can at least entertain the notion of going quarterback in the 1st in 2011.

vikes_28
02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
What's wrong with that? They're going to be a star under QB guru Brad Childress. ;)

This quarterback class does suck out loud and it's really unfortunate. We're too low to really move up for Bradford or Clausen and no other quarterback really screams NFL starter. Hopefully the 2010 quarterback crop fulfills the promise it holds currently so we can at least entertain the notion of going quarterback in the 1st in 2011.

I honestly wouldn't mind giving TJack one more shot. Either that or bring in McNabb if the price isn't too high. Then next year take a guy named Lockerzzz, or Mallet. Who else is a good QB prospect next year, I would look, but I am too lazy.

hagy34
02-04-2010, 10:33 PM
If TJack is the QB of this team next year we are going to be 8-8

BlueBandit24
02-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I honestly wouldn't mind giving TJack one more shot. Either that or bring in McNabb if the price isn't too high. Then next year take a guy named Lockerzzz, or Mallet. Who else is a good QB prospect next year, I would look, but I am too lazy.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Jackson is the quarterback next year. He might guide us to the playoffs but we would not be a contender in the NFC with him at QB and the window is closing fast. Personally, I feel next year might be the last run this team has in it; if they can't put it together it might be time to go through a rebuilding period since many of our top players are going to exit their prime fairly soon.

As far as next year's QB's, there are some guys with potential after Locker and Mallet: Christian Ponder, Terrelle Pryor, Jerrod Johnson, maybe even a guy like Andrew Luck if he leaves early. A few of those guys are sure to fade away and become late-round/UFA's, but it is an intriguing crop at this juncture.

Kid_Ego
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
My favorite qb right now is the kid from boise state the kid is smart and basically that is what it takes to run a west coast offense. there have ben a **** ton of qbs run the west coast offense with out huge arms.
Remeber tom brady was a late round pick Jmac easily has the strongest arm in the league whod you rather have?

MidwayMonster31
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I think you guys are better off with trying to trade for McNabb this year and then drafting someone next year. This year's QB crop doesn't offer much. LeFevour might end up starting one day, but you won't win right away with him.
Next year, there are quarterbacks that can go in the late first round or second round (Jerrod Johnson, Ricky Stanzi, Pat Devlin).

BlueBandit24
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
My favorite qb right now is the kid from boise state the kid is smart and basically that is what it takes to run a west coast offense. there have ben a **** ton of qbs run the west coast offense with out huge arms.
Remeber tom brady was a late round pick Jmac easily has the strongest arm in the league whod you rather have?

Kellen Moore won't be available until 2012 and I sure as hell hope the Vikings wouldn't pin their hopes on a 5'11 quarterback with limited physical tools. He is a great college quarterback but I don't see him having an NFL future.

djp
02-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Kellen Moore probably won't be drafted. He has nothing in the tank as far as arm strength and he's not even 6 feet tall.

Kid_Ego
02-05-2010, 05:13 PM
sounds alot like the guy who just beat us for the super bowl

hagy34
02-05-2010, 05:17 PM
sounds alot like the guy who just beat us for the super bowl

So wait a second...you're comparing Kellen Moore to Drew Brees?

That's a reach.

I'd rather not pin my hopes on a guy who is a late round/FA type. I understand the people who say well Brady and Romo...blah blah. That doesn't happen often.

Kid_Ego
02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
the kid is a leader and he doesnt make mistakes. and some one just said stanzi for christ sake have you seen his arm strength that guy wont even start for the hawkeyes next year. Arm strength is over rated and breis had almost identical questions about him. his size his arm strength. the best qb in our franchise history was no bigger then breis or moore

hagy34
02-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm not endorsing Stanzi either. And I don't care about so much about size. But the difference with Moore is that he's not an early 1st day prospect. Drew Brees was an early 2nd round pick!

As for leadership and making mistakes....Tim Tebow is a great leader and didn't make mistakes at the college level. Should we take him? No.

No need to get defensive. I'm just saying that Kellen Moore isn't the answer.

prock
02-06-2010, 12:56 AM
the kid is a leader and he doesnt make mistakes. and some one just said stanzi for christ sake have you seen his arm strength that guy wont even start for the hawkeyes next year. Arm strength is over rated and breis had almost identical questions about him. his size his arm strength. the best qb in our franchise history was no bigger then breis or moore

the best quarterback in franchise history played in a day and age when everyone was much much smaller and being tall wasnt as important. back then you didnt have to be able to see over 6'7" linemen.

djp
02-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Can you really be taken seriously after typing Brees as "breis"? Come on man. Brees was a MUCH better prospect than Moore. The only reason Drew Brees wasn't a first rounder (he was the 33rd pick btw) was because of his height and concerns about the Purdue offense.

Moore barely has a Division 1 arm.

hagy34
02-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Can you really be taken seriously after typing Brees as "breis"? Come on man. Brees was a MUCH better prospect than Moore. The only reason Drew Brees wasn't a first rounder (he was the 33rd pick btw) was because of his height and concerns about the Purdue offense.

Moore barely has a Division 1 arm.

What he said.

BlueBandit24
02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Hard to even fathom Kellen Moore under center in an NFL offense. He is Josh Heupel, Ken Dorsey, etc.; he's not even a poor man's Brees.

I'm really hoping the Vikings are able to grab a quarterback of the future sometime soon. Jackson doesn't count -- I don't think many expected him to amount to anything in the NFL.

RyanBraun8
02-08-2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah Kellen Moore has no right to be mentioned in the same sentence as Brees. The kid is a 5'11 180 with no arm strength what so ever. There are plenty of QB's in college football who are leaders doesn't mean they should be top notch QB prospects. Look at Eric Crouch national Champ, Heisman and all he could get was atry out at WR.

Unless the Vikings only win 5-6 games next season I doubt you guys would have a chance at Mallett or Locker, also Bradford and Claussen are the door for this season. I'd say Colt in the second is the best choice if you go for one this season. Snead look horrible and I wouldn't touch him, Pike will be no better than Sage and will be lucky if he ever gets to that. He showed it at the senior bowl that he shouldn't be a top 3 round pick. Lefevour needs a lot of grooming.

Overall Colt is a smart kid and if Brett stays one more year that would benifit him probable more than any other QB. Tebow.....I want to pull for him but it isn't going to take long for him to really get knocks with that hideo nomo type wind up that takes forever. He needs to be a back-up for at least 3 years. He has major flaws.

Next years QB class could be pretty good, the seniors will be good and there are some pretty talented juniors.

vikes_28
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Pat Devlin. Please?

JFLO
02-10-2010, 02:00 PM
FYI, Scouts Inc. has the team taking Jared Odrick in their latest mock which was released today.

I hate it, if they're going to take a DT, I could only imagine someone like Dan Williams in the 1st (if aval.) or Cam Thomas in Round 2/3.

Other bits:

Gerald McCoy #1 to the Rams
JPP #3 to the Bucs
Berry #7 to the Browns
Haden #13 to Niners

Just some notable picks.

djp
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
FYI, Scouts Inc. has the team taking Jared Odrick in their latest mock which was released today.

I hate it, if they're going to take a DT, I could only imagine someone like Dan Williams in the 1st (if aval.) or Cam Thomas in Round 2/3.

Other bits:

Gerald McCoy #1 to the Rams
JPP #3 to the Bucs
Berry #7 to the Browns
Haden #13 to Niners

Just some notable picks.

Jared Odrick is an awful pick for us, despite me really liking him as a 3-4 DE for someone.

At this point, I think we are definitely looking at an NT at 30. Possibly a safety, but I really doubt it.

if JPP goes #3, I will laugh my ass off. Top 10 I could possibly see, but #3 just seems so inconceivable by a team not named the Raiders.

BlueBandit24
02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Not a fan of Odrick either. I'd agree that he looks like a solid 3-4 DE but I'm not sure he'd really be the answer at NT for us. I'd like to bolster either line or the defensive backfield with that 1st pick unless somebody of insane value drops.

hagy34
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
At this point I really like Chad Jones. I'd LOVE him in round 2 but I really don't see that as a possibility. Bradford isn't going to happen so I might as well think realistically. I'd be fine with Dan Williams but I'd be very happy in April with Chad Jones.

akvikefan89
02-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Holding out hope for Dan Williams at #30. Otherwise, for me it becomes a crapshoot of Perrish Cox, Chad Jones, Kyle Wilson, or a wildcard player. I'm sure the combine will change a lot, though...

PurpleJesusWearsNo28
02-17-2010, 07:05 PM
1st Round: McCoy or LeFevour - McCoy is really accurate which is crucial for our offense. LeFevour??? Gotta give a small college guy a shot, wait...we already tried that.
2nd Round: DT Terrance Cody - I don't care about weight as long as he can stay consistent at a good playing weight. Pat Williams is fat but still is extremely effective.
3rd Round: WR Eric Decker - Makes a very good effort to catch anything thrown his way, good blocker, and one hell of a tough guy. That is good enough for me to draft him at this spot.
Rest of draft: Maybe some good tackling safeties or corners and maybe a better fullback.

This is my great football mind at its best. Go Vikings.

vikes_28
02-17-2010, 07:38 PM
1st Round: McCoy or LeFevour - McCoy is really accurate which is crucial for our offense. LeFevour??? Gotta give a small college guy a shot, wait...we already tried that.
2nd Round: DT Terrance Cody - I don't care about weight as long as he can stay consistent at a good playing weight. Pat Williams is fat but still is extremely effective.
3rd Round: WR Eric Decker - Makes a very good effort to catch anything thrown his way, good blocker, and one hell of a tough guy. That is good enough for me to draft him at this spot.
Rest of draft: Maybe some good tackling safeties or corners and maybe a better fullback.

You are not allowed to be on this board if you want Colt McCoy in the first.

the_legend_killer
02-17-2010, 10:52 PM

LeFevour will never fall to us in the 1st round.

prock
02-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Wide receiver is not worth being addressed in this draft at all. Terrance Cody is 40 pounds heavier than Phat Williams. Phat is quick, Cody is just big. However much I love McCoy, he is NOT worth a first rounder. We don't need a corner til late. Safety is our biggest need behind quarterback. Right guard can be upgraded, we would use an OLB to replace Leber next year.

Hermstheman83
02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
You are not allowed to be on this board if you want Colt McCoy in the first.

Just as an on-looker, but you guys seem pretty stable at every position. I mean, you guys almost got to the big game with a 40+ year old quarterback and while turning it over like 5 times..... I would argue that QB should be your number one priority. Colt McCoy gives off a "Drew Brees" vibe(accurate, short), you remember him? The MVP of the super bowl.

the_legend_killer
02-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Just as an on-looker, but you guys seem pretty stable at every position. I mean, you guys almost got to the big game with a 40+ year old quarterback and while turning it over like 5 times..... I would argue that QB should be your number one priority. Colt McCoy gives off a "Drew Brees" vibe(accurate, short), you remember him? The MVP of the super bowl.

Bruce Gradkowski is short and accurate, does he give off a Drew Brees vibe too?

vikes_28
02-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Bruce Gradkowski is short and accurate, does he give off a Drew Brees vibe too?

Not yet ;)

BuckNaked
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I want nothing to do with Colt McCoy or Dan LeFevour, much less in round one. I would go crazy.

BlueBandit24
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I want nothing to do with Colt McCoy or Dan LeFevour, much less in round one. I would go crazy.

No kidding. Unless it's Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen, I want nothing to do with them.

PurpleJesusWearsNo28
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
If anyone thinks that Rosenfels or Jackson is our future then you need a wake up call. We have to address this draft as if Favre isn't coming back. We know Clausen and Bradford won't be there at pick 30. We have to address the QB position at some point. You can never have too many good WRs, and Decker is that. I still feel we might need to grab a good CB early, Winfield is damn good but his time is limited, Sapp is too back and forth (good one game bad the next) and good CBs that have good fundamentals are hard to find.

General Zod
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I want nothing to do with any QB in this draft, maybe besides Clausen. But thats not going to happen. Favre just needs to come back for another year. lol

My short wish list for this years draft is: S, RG, DL, LB, RB(if we lose Taylor).

BuckNaked
02-20-2010, 01:46 PM
If anyone thinks that Rosenfels or Jackson is our future then you need a wake up call. We have to address this draft as if Favre isn't coming back. We know Clausen and Bradford won't be there at pick 30. We have to address the QB position at some point. You can never have too many good WRs, and Decker is that. I still feel we might need to grab a good CB early, Winfield is damn good but his time is limited, Sapp is too back and forth (good one game bad the next) and good CBs that have good fundamentals are hard to find.

I'd much rather stick with Tarvaris then go with McCoy or LeFevour.

BlueBandit24
02-20-2010, 06:41 PM
I'd much rather stick with Tarvaris then go with McCoy or LeFevour.

x2.

I don't think anyone thinks T-Jax is the future, but he's the best option for 2010 assuming we don't nab a vet.

prock
02-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Why does everyone on this forum and the internet keep mocking us first round corners?

akvikefan89
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Strictly by needs:

1. Safety
2. Cornerback
3. Center/RG
4. Quarterback (assuming Favre's back one more season)
5. Defensive Tackle

Now looking at the actual players and #30, I'm (realistically) targeting (in this order) Dan Williams, Kyle Wilson, Maurkice Pouncey, Chad Jones, Perrish Cox.

The Dynasty
02-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Why does everyone on this forum and the internet keep mocking us first round corners?

I personally don't mind seeing a first round corner. Its not the biggest need but its certainly not our lowest need. Griffin really showed up this year when winfield went down but now Griffin is down and last time I checked he was questionable to be there week 1. So that would leave us with Winfield and Sapp? Winfield is getting up there and the injury this year didn't help. We will have to replace him eventually and Sapp...He shouldn't start.

prock
02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Vikings Needs:

1. Quarterback (by far)
2. Safety
3. Right Guard
4. Outside Linebacker
5. Nose Tackle

I am curious to why you think the Vikes need a cornerback so badly. My players I am realistically targeting at #30 are this in order: Dan Williams, Sean Weatherspoon, Chad Jones, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey.

I would much rather have Pouncey than a corner first round.

prock
02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I personally don't mind seeing a first round corner. Its not the biggest need but its certainly not our lowest need. Griffin really showed up this year when winfield went down but now Griffin is down and last time I checked he was questionable to be there week 1. So that would leave us with Winfield and Sapp? Winfield is getting up there and the injury this year didn't help. We will have to replace him eventually and Sapp...He shouldn't start.

I think Allen will get a shot there. We spent a third rounder on him last year, do you really think the coaching staff is going to give up on him? He played a lot better as the year went on. We didn't spend a third rounder on someone we want as a career dime back.

akvikefan89
02-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Vikings Needs:

1. Quarterback (by far)
2. Safety
3. Right Guard
4. Outside Linebacker
5. Nose Tackle

I am curious to why you think the Vikes need a cornerback so badly. My players I am realistically targeting at #30 are this in order: Dan Williams, Sean Weatherspoon, Chad Jones, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey.

I would much rather have Pouncey than a corner first round.

I am in the school of thought that's convinced Childress will go after (and get) Donovan McNabb next season. But yeah, if not we need a QB.

I want a CB because I don't see Allen or Sapp as anything other than nickle CB's, Winfield is old and banged up, and Griffin has a bum knee.

akvikefan89
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I think Allen will get a shot there. We spent a third rounder on him last year, do you really think the coaching staff is going to give up on him? He played a lot better as the year went on. We didn't spend a third rounder on someone we want as a career dime back.

It's not "giving up" on him, he was a 3rd rounder. Those guys typically end up as nickle CB's, not starters. He played okay for a 3rd round rookie, but nothing to make me believe we struck gold and got a #1 or #2 CB in him.

vikes_28
02-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Allen = Winfield replacement. I loved Allen in the draft. And I'm so glad we picked him up. He will be a starter someday. And Sapp will remain a NB

prock
02-21-2010, 10:57 PM
It's not "giving up" on him, he was a 3rd rounder. Those guys typically end up as nickle CB's, not starters. He played okay for a 3rd round rookie, but nothing to make me believe we struck gold and got a #1 or #2 CB in him.

Well we got a good nickel in Sapp, we got a good number 1 or 2 in Griffen, and Allen was drafted in the third round, which is an early pick, and I think he will get a chance to be a starter. If he wasn't slated to be a starter some day, it would be pretty ******* stupid to pick him in the third round.

akvikefan89
02-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Allen was drafted in the third round, which is an early pick, and I think he will get a chance to be a starter. If he wasn't slated to be a starter some day, it would be pretty ******* stupid to pick him in the third round.

Third round isn't exactly early. Have you ever looked at draft history with 3rd round CB's? Go take a look at some 5-year windows (this is 2002-2007):

Marcus McCauley
Usama Young
Jonathan Wade
Dante Hughes
Ashton Youboty
David Pittman
Eric Green
Karl Paymah
Dustin Fox
Ellis Hobbs
Scott Starks
Domonique Foxworth
Joey Thomas
Keith Smith
Derrick Strait
Jeremy LeSueur
Matt Ware
Rich Gardner
Ricky Manning
Julian Battle
Kris Richard
Rashad Bauman
Derrick Ross
Joseph Jefferson
Roe Williams

If you get lucky, maybe you strike on one of the few guys that is starting CB material. But being realistic, a CB picked in the 3rd round is most likely not going to end up as a good starter...

prock
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
All I am saying is that if you spend a third rounder on a player, you aren't going to relegate him to third string after one season. If you planned on drafting a career dime back, you spend a ******* 6th rounder on him, not a 3rd. Allen was very solid at the end of the year, he will get a shot to start.

akvikefan89
02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
It's not "relegating" him, it's just saying you don't want to gamble the season that he'll go against the odds and become a starting CB.

When your depth chart has an old Winfied that is going downhill, Griffin with his knee currently resembling ground hamburger, and Sapp and Allen, wisdom says if there's a good CB who looks like a future #1 guy at #30 you take him. That's what people who are in favor of a CB at #30 are saying...

prock
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
It's not "relegating" him, it's just saying you don't want to gamble the season that he'll go against the odds and become a starting CB.

When your depth chart has an old Winfied that is going downhill, Griffin with his knee currently resembling ground hamburger, and Sapp and Allen, wisdom says if there's a good CB who looks like a future #1 guy at #30 you take him. That's what people who are in favor of a CB at #30 are saying...

I am fine with a number one corner if Chad Jones, Mike Iupati, and Sean Weatherspoon are all gone. That is unlikely. I don't think we need a number 1 corner because I think Winfield is still decent, Griffen should be fine by week one, and we still have two solid backups. I am perfectly fine taking a corner later in the draft for some depth, but we have much bigger needs in my opinion.

marshallb
02-23-2010, 11:20 AM
The problem I have with CB is that I don't see any #1 CBs being available with pick #30 or close to it. The only guy I see as a #1 CB in this draft is Joe Haden. I was on Robinson's bandwagon for a while(not to the Vikings), but I have jumped off that with his struggling towards the end of the season. I don't see the point of taking a potential #2/3 CB in the 1st round when we have Griffin who will only miss a short period of time, Winfield for another 2-3 years, Allen who we took in the 3rd last year, and Benny Sapp who was very good at NB and stepping in for Winfield last year.

vikes_28
02-23-2010, 11:38 AM
All in all, I'd rather see us trade out of the first round than gamble on a player like Wilson or Chad Jones. If Sean Weatherspoon is there, yes...If Dan Williams is there, yes...If SAM BRADFORD is there, no way in hell we pass on him.

contento
02-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Amari Spievey...we have to get him at 30 or the Pats will pick him up with one of their 2nd rounders before he gets to us at 62.

CB is a need because Winny is moving to Safety next year, book it!

vikes_28
02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Amari Spievey...we have to get him at 30 or the Pats will pick him up with one of their 2nd rounders before he gets to us at 62.

CB is a need because Winny is moving to Safety next year, book it!

Ha. You're funny

Crazy_Chris
02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Well we got a good nickel in Sapp, we got a good number 1 or 2 in Griffen, and Allen was drafted in the third round, which is an early pick, and I think he will get a chance to be a starter. If he wasn't slated to be a starter some day, it would be pretty ******* stupid to pick him in the third round.

All I am saying is that if you spend a third rounder on a player, you aren't going to relegate him to third string after one season. If you planned on drafting a career dime back, you spend a ******* 6th rounder on him, not a 3rd. Allen was very solid at the end of the year, he will get a shot to start.

You are putting too much value into the third round. It is indeed one of the early rounds but it isn't quite as big of a deal as you are thinking. Asher Allen was picked in the late 3rd round at that, 86th overall.

If there is a CB they like available in round 1 they aren't going to pass on him just because they picked up a guy in the late 3rd round last year. The only reason they would do that is if the coaches really loved the progress that he showed in practices/on game film this year. But we have no way of knowing what the coaches think of him it would just be speculation on our parts.

prock
02-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Third round is still an early pick. You don't draft 3rd stringers in the third round. That is what I am saying, and I really don't think that is putting too much value in the third round.

akvikefan89
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Third round is still an early pick. You don't draft 3rd stringers in the third round. That is what I am saying, and I really don't think that is putting too much value in the third round.

I showed you a list of 3rd round CBs, man. The expectations for 3rd round picks are a lot lower than you are making them out to be.

djp
02-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Even if you're right, let's at least give Asher Allen a chance to prove something before we call him a career nickel back. Benny Sapp was very impressive, he has come a long way. Another notch on Leslie Frazier's belt.

Our whole thing with the draft is how we recover from the injuries.. specifically Pat Williams finally getting 100% healthy, Cedric Griffin and EJ Henderson's long rehab roads, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings trade out of Round 1 and try to accumulate more picks due to the UFA dealy where we can't sign anyone unless we lose someone..

This team just needs to start thinking 3-4 years ahead with this draft.. start getting bodies at corner, linebacker, defensive tackle, offensive line (specifically interior), and quarterback of course.

Really interested to see where Childress/Spielman go with this draft because they have earned the opportunity to do a number of things with how well they have drafted.

prock
02-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I showed you a list of 3rd round CBs, man. The expectations for 3rd round picks are a lot lower than you are making them out to be.

So you want to give up on him after one year? He is an investment. Give the guy a shot. If cornerback is the BPA at 30, then take one, but really it isn't a big need.

the_legend_killer
02-25-2010, 09:02 PM
So i recently was in a 7-round mock and was Minnesota. I already know that Vikes_28 wasn't a fan of it, but I figured I'd post it here and get ready for the lambasting, lol.

1st (30)- Nate Allen, S, South Florida
- I went back and forth between Allen and Chad Jones, but I think Allen's a better Cover-2 safety than Jones. Allen is smart, athletic and could grow to be a leader in the secondary. Jones has the size and speed, but I could see him being a bust-type safety IMO.

2nd (62)- Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma
- With Winfield getting up there in age and Griffin questionable coming back I thought depth needed to be added, especially because even though he's come a long way, I still don't totally trust Benny Sapp. A cornerback group of Winfield/Griffin/Sapp/Franks/Allen is fine. Put the good players there and compete for spots.

3rd (93)- Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati
- Obviously Quarterback of the future is needed, and Pike is big and has a strong arm, but needs work. He can get the chance to sit as the 3rd QB for a few years and work with Bevell and Brian Rogers to get better.

4th (125)- Shawn Lauvao, OG, Arizona State
- Hutch is still damn good, but is starting to get older, and Herrera took a step back last year. Bringing in Lauvao, he could push Herrera right away or set up to be the successor to Hutchinson down the road.

5th (153)- Dekota Watson, OLB, Florida State
- May be too small to be an everydown LB at the NFL level, but is a good athlete with good speed and could step in and help on special teams right away.

6th (189)- Garrett Graham, TE, Wisconsin
- I'll be honest, this pick was absolutely a BPA/Player I really like combo. Tight End isn't really a need for Minnesota, but Graham could be one of the best pass catching TE's in the draft and wouldn't be hurried to play. Could be a valuable asset down the road in the passing game.

7th (221)- DeMarcus Granger, DT, Oklahoma
- Big bodied DL to come in and compete for a roster spot and maybe play a little bit if he's good enough.

akvikefan89
02-26-2010, 12:11 AM
So you want to give up on him after one year? He is an investment. Give the guy a shot. If cornerback is the BPA at 30, then take one, but really it isn't a big need.

If Allen defied the odds and turned out to be starting CB material, then all you have is a team with too many good CB's, not a problem. That's not giving up on him. That's deciding not to risk the ability of your defense by hoping a 3rd rounder outplays his draft slot...

BlueBandit24
02-26-2010, 02:19 PM
So i recently was in a 7-round mock and was Minnesota. I already know that Vikes_28 wasn't a fan of it, but I figured I'd post it here and get ready for the lambasting, lol.

I like the Allen pick, but after that the only pick I'm a fan of is Lauvao. I would not be happy with Pike as I feel he is a backup at best. A beanpole with a weak arm; no thanks.

prock
02-26-2010, 05:06 PM
If Allen defied the odds and turned out to be starting CB material, then all you have is a team with too many good CB's, not a problem. That's not giving up on him. That's deciding not to risk the ability of your defense by hoping a 3rd rounder outplays his draft slot...

That is a good point, but I don't think it is worth a 1st rounder unless the BPA is by far CB.

contento
02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Ha. You're funny

You'll be kissing my boot, boy, after you see Spievey tear up the combine.

prock
02-26-2010, 05:44 PM
You'll be kissing my boot, boy, after you see Spievey tear up the combine.

Why would the Pats take him? They don't need corners really.

contento
02-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Why would the Pats take him? They don't need corners really.

Yeah I'm sure Darius Bulter and Wilhite/Wheatley/? will tear up the league next year.

Bodden is currently a FA, until he's resigned the Pats are very weak at CB.

prock
02-28-2010, 02:42 AM
Yeah I'm sure Darius Bulter and Wilhite/Wheatley/? will tear up the league next year.

Bodden is currently a FA, until he's resigned the Pats are very weak at CB.

Zzzz... yawn.

The_Dude
02-28-2010, 02:58 PM
You wouldn't be so tired if you weren't up & posting on SWDC at quarter to three in the morning..... ;)

vikes_28
02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Hmm, word at the combine is that the vikings really like Devin McCourty from Rutgers. Any thoughts on this?

marshallb
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Hmm, word at the combine is that the vikings really like Devin McCourty from Rutgers. Any thoughts on this?

I like him more than most of the CBs, but I definitely wouldn't take him in the first round like it sounds like he'd need to be taken. I still hope we have the chance to take one of Weatherspoon, Dan Williams(who I had a dream about us drafting), Mike Iupati, or one of the top 3 S in the first round as I highly doubt one of the top 2 QBs will fall that far, and with as deep as S is this year, I'd rather take one of the next tier S in the 2nd round. I don't see any of the top 3 S(Berry, Thomas, Mays) falling to us, so let's hope one of those other 3 players fall to us.

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2010, 06:16 PM
I like Devin McCourty, I've had my eye on him for a while I was hoping we would be able to nab him in the 3rd round. However his stock seems to be on the rise so looks like if they want him they will have to grab him with their 2nd pick.

Ideally for me(as of right now) the first 3 rounds would look like this

1.Dan Williams Tennessee/Brian Price UCLA
2.Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
3.Myron Rolle S FSU

Than get some O-line depth, and a RB in the 4-7 rounds

The_Dude
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I am totally on board for Dan Williams. I think that reinforcing the d-line is a smart idea. We are designed to win now, but we need that big body clogging up the middle when pat decides to hang em up.

I would also be in favor of earl thomas if he was still available. he would definately fit a need and would most likely be able to contribute fromthe start.

Other than that really, i would like our Vikes to try to trade down and grab one of the 2nd round dbs or even a guy like Javhid Best to replace Chester.

prock
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
It isn't very likely I'm thinking that we get any of the top 3 safties, Iupati, Dan Williams, or Sean Weatherspoon. The idea of a corner is growing on me, but I still don't think it is a huge need. As long as we get BPA, I'm down.

marshallb
03-03-2010, 06:44 PM
My hope is still for one of the top 3 S, Williams, Spoon, or Iupati, but all of them are looking less likely every day. I still don't like the idea of CB, as to me it's not a big need and none of them, other than Haden is worth a first. My #2 CB is McCourty, but I think he's more of an early 2nd rounder. If we'd trade down a handful of picks I'd be ok with McCourty or even Wilson there, but I'd rather trade up a handful of picks and grab one of those guys I listed at the top.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Pouncey as he is an early-mid 2nd rounder imo, but I'd also like him if we were to move down 5-10 picks.

wogitalia
03-03-2010, 07:43 PM
CB is a massive need imo but is also not great value in the first though in many ways I think there is a whole crop of cover 2 type CBs in this draft and I think we could get just as good a player in the middle of the 3rd as we would be reaching for in the first.

If one of Thomas or Berry is there for us it should be an automatic pick. I don't particularly like Mays for our team and system but you would still have to consider him if he were to fall to us.

I like Spiller in the first if he were to fall. I don't like Best in the first as much but I wouldn't be unhappy with the pick, I'd rather take a punt on him sliding to us in the 2nd or possibly looking to trade up to earlier in the 2nd to grab him.

Iupati is a bit of a luxury pick but he would certainly be a nice upgrade over Herrera. It would leave McKinnie as by far the weakest link on the OL but that is a problem still. I don't really like any of the OT prospects in this draft but if Okung were to somehow freefall to us I think we should take him. I just don't like any of the other guys enough to pick them in the first, they all to me will basically offer the same sort of thing as McKinnie.

If Clausen gets to pick 15+ I think we need to strongly consider trading up. I don't like Bradford and don't want him. So I don't feel the same on him. If Tebow was available still in the 3rd, I think we have to give him serious consideration but certainly not in the first and doubtful on the 2nd.

I like the idea of a DT also in the first and feel there are probably a good 5 guys that could go in the first and that basically any of them would be good. I'm even open to the idea of Mount Cody, though I don't like him so much as a first rounder for us.

Love the Myron Rolle in the 3rd idea. I think he would be a really nice fit for us. The dream would be to get Rolle in the 3rd and Thomas in the 1st for me. If we could get that I feel we are set at safety for a good 10 years.

Haven't searched, but does anyone know what picks we hold this year? I know we have traded some here and there over the last couple of years.

Also I forget on compensatory picks, are they done on last years free agents or was it the year before? We almost certainly have to have a 3rd rounder coming for Sharper. Are we eligible for anything for Bobby Wade or did he get signed too late? He might get a 6th if we are lucky if eligible.

prock
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Okung, Berry are way out of the question. I want Taylor Mays or Earl Thomas, but is very unlikely this happens. Clausen of Bradford would be a dream. Spoon would be a dream. But Iuapti or Dan Williams are kind of seeming like our most likely options at 30 besides a reach for a corner or a safety. Our draft position sucks. I could definitely see us taking Best in the first, though. I would be fine with Kyle Wilson, but I don't want McCourtney in the first as of now.

akvikefan89
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm open to the BPA at pick #30. Some guy always falls down the to bottom of the first in round 1 that shocks everyone. Whether it be Dan Williams... Sean Weatherspoon, even Kyle Wilson with how high his stock is. Just make it a great value pick and don't reach on a Chad Jones, Dan Lefevour, etc...

djp
03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
LeFevour pretty much flushed his only, EXTREMELY SLIM chance at a first round grade by not throwing in Indy. Not worried about that.

I don't know how I feel about McCourty. I like the measurables obviously, but our corners don't really need to be that fast.

I'm just lost at where we plan on going at #30. I said it before, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we trade back into the early-mid 2nd and pick up another 3rd rounder in such a deep class.

BlueBandit24
03-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm just lost at where we plan on going at #30. I said it before, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we trade back into the early-mid 2nd and pick up another 3rd rounder in such a deep class.

At this point I am hoping for a trade back. I don't think anyone like Weatherspoon or Thomas will be available at #30 so I'd like to see the Vikes move back and pick up later selections. Obviously, it is easier said than done, but there are always teams looking to move back into the 1st and we might find a trading partner. Daryl Washington, Maurkice Pouncey, or Nate Allen would all interest me in that range.

marshallb
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
At this point I am hoping for a trade back. I don't think anyone like Weatherspoon or Thomas will be available at #30 so I'd like to see the Vikes move back and pick up later selections. Obviously, it is easier said than done, but there are always teams looking to move back into the 1st and we might find a trading partner. Daryl Washington, Maurkice Pouncey, or Nate Allen would all interest me in that range.

I agree big time with this. Unless Thomas, Mays, Spoon, Williams, or Iupati are there, then I def. want us to trade back 5-10 slots or so and pick up a 3rd. I'd also be very happy with any of those players you listed there, most so with Allen.

vikes_28
03-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I agree big time with this. Unless Thomas, Mays, Spoon, Williams, or Iupati are there, then I def. want us to trade back 5-10 slots or so and pick up a 3rd. I'd also be very happy with any of those players you listed there, most so with Allen.

I'd prefer this as well. In the last forum mock I actually traded back and picked up Colt McCoy and Morgon Burnett in the second. But not Burnett please...

wogitalia
03-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Sounds pretty right to me. I'm not entirely opposed to taking Spikes if he is hanging around also.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone slides hard though and I feel it is most likely to be a safety or one of the two QBs. The QBs in this draft just reek of Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers and the setup is even similar. Basically there are the Cardinals that may take one if they get past SF at 17. Certainly the teams most likely to take them are SF and SEA with their two picks each. If neither goes first then the chances increase greatly. Get past Washington as well and it almost becomes likely. It only takes a team like Buffalo, Seattle or San Fran then not liking either prospect enough to take one and they are free falling. It is actually amazing how many teams are "set" at QB right now. If we don't get ours for the future soon we could be in for a really long lean period, especially given how good Rodgers is and Stafford and Cutler could be.

hagy34
03-09-2010, 07:35 PM
My first choice at this point is Dan Williams. And more and more I like the idea of Chad Jones. I'm thinking that the best safeties and Iupati will be long gone when we pick at 30.

JFLO
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm getting tired of all the Brian Price to the Vikings talk...

I think there is a distinct difference between complaining about a pick because it doesn't make sense and won't happen and complaining about a pick because it's not who you want. (Chiefs fans explode)

EDIT:

Kiper has the team taking Devin McCourty, while McPoop has the team selecting Price in the new "dual" mock.

BlueBandit24
03-10-2010, 02:58 PM

From a value standpoint or a fit standpoint? I personally feel Price is one of the best dozen or so prospects in this draft, though he might be best used as a UT and we already have one of the best in the game at that position. We don't necessarily need a mammoth space-plugger like Pat...if the Vikings feel Price can assume the role of NT I'd welcome the pick.

trevhipp12
03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
If we go DT I want Williams or Price. If Iupati is there we gotta consider him. Same for if Mays or Thomas slip, or Wilson, and maybe McCourty as well. This all being in round 1. I also think we should consider Pouncey if all those guys r gone...

Crazy_Chris
03-11-2010, 05:22 PM

I think there is a distinct difference between complaining about a pick because it doesn't make sense and won't happen and complaining about a pick because it's not who you want. (Chiefs fans explode)

EDIT:

Kiper has the team taking Devin McCourty, while McPoop has the team selecting Price in the new "dual" mock.

I think there is a common misconception amongst many Viking fans that Brian Price isn't a fit, because he is strictly a 3-technique in the 4-3. I personally haven't read or seen anything that would suggest he couldn't play NT in the 4-3. I am anxious to see Scotts scouting report on him, but I was completely convinced he definatly can be a good NT after Mike Mayock said he sees Brian Price's best fit as a NT in the 4-3 during combine coverage.

contento
03-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Price is obviously a fantastic penetrator(TWSS) based on how often he plays on the other side of the LOS, but a 6'1 300lb NT with short arms? ehhhh, sounds iffy to me

On one hand I can see him giving us a great pass rushing DT combo, which makes sense given how often teams pass vs. run against us, but on the other hand I can't see a guy his size anchoring against the run very well.

Put it this way, he's not my first choice(or my 3rd) but if Dunbar likes him then I'll like him!

hagy34
03-17-2010, 01:25 AM
What do you guys think of Pouncey in round 1? Our line looked brutal at times and AD needs some running room.

BlueBandit24
03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
What do you guys think of Pouncey in round 1? Our line looked brutal at times and AD needs some running room.

Not my first choice but I could certainly get on board with a Pouncey pick. He'd be a welcome upgrade over Herrera and could possibly even push Sullivan at center. We need to start getting more push in the running game...I hope we pick up a guard at some point. If it's a top center/guard prospect like Pouncey, I'll be content with the pick.

marshallb
03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I'd be ok with Pouncey, but he's not my top choice, and I'd probably rather trade down 5-10 spots and hope we can still get him than take him at 30, and if he's not there then take a S like Allen.

contento
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Pouncey would be a perfect pick for us, he could challenge Sully/Herrera for their starting jobs and if they retain them we have an excellent 2-position backup.

I highly doubt he's still on the board at 30 though...

Crazy_Chris
03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Price is obviously a fantastic penetrator(TWSS) based on how often he plays on the other side of the LOS, but a 6'1 300lb NT with short arms? ehhhh, sounds iffy to me

On one hand I can see him giving us a great pass rushing DT combo, which makes sense given how often teams pass vs. run against us, but on the other hand I can't see a guy his size anchoring against the run very well.

Put it this way, he's not my first choice(or my 3rd) but if Dunbar likes him then I'll like him!

By all accounts I have seen Brian Price is extremely strong, and a very good run defender. This is where the misconception comes in, I think a lot of people think the Vikes must have a huge body next to Kevin W.. They do not run a 3-4 defense the NT does not have to be 6'3" 330 lbs. In fact for the defense Leslie Frazier wants to run(tampa two) calls for smaller penetrating D-Linemen. They have been running an unconvential verison of the defense with Pat W. because he is such a dominat force and it has worked out well. So in actuallity Brian Price, being a guy that is a very good run defender aswell as capable of being disruptive & pushing the pocket versus the pass is a very good fit for the Vikings.

Crazy_Chris
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM

I like Pouncey but he is near the bottom of my big board of wants, I hope we get a defender in round 1 but if all the value is gone on the defensive side of the ball I would be happy to get Pouncey.

BlueBandit24
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
By all accounts I have seen Brian Price is extremely strong, and a very good run defender. This is where the misconception comes in, I think a lot of people think the Vikes must have a huge body next to Kevin W.. They do not run a 3-4 defense the NT does not have to be 6'3" 330 lbs. In fact for the defense Leslie Frazier wants to run(tampa two) calls for smaller penetrating D-Linemen. They have been running an unconvential verison of the defense with Pat W. because he is such a dominat force and it has worked out well. So in actuallity Brian Price, being a guy that is a very good run defender aswell as capable of being disruptive & pushing the pocket versus the pass is a very good fit for the Vikings.

An excellent point with regards to our defense. I like the fact that they've made adjustments to the defense to suit our personnel (in this case Pat) and I'd imagine they'd do the same if they drafted Price.

I'm really high on Price. I feel he is a Top 10 talent who's getting buried in a deep DT class. He's got more than enough size and he and K-Will would be a nightmare for opponent's backfields.

contento
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM

I know he's a good run defender, my point was he's more of a penetrating DT who can make plays in the backfield as opposed to a guy who can hold the LOS and take on defenders head-up rather than trying to get by them.

Frazier is already running the defense he wants to run, and if he wanted smaller bodies then he wouldn't have signed(and re-signed) Kennedy to be Pat's backup. He already had a smaller UT-sized DT in Fred Evans who he could've used, or Guion.

But as I said, I wouldn't mind Price as he would give us an awesome DT rotation, especially on passing downs...but then we have Robison who already excels in that role.

contento
03-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Hypothetical- You've got the following 3 guys on the board at #30 and you have to pick one of them, who do you take and why?

Pouncey

Mays

McCourty

BlueBandit24
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Hypothetical- You've got the following 3 guys on the board at #30 and you have to pick one of them, who do you take and why?

Pouncey

Mays

McCourty

I'd take McCourty, because I feel he's the best talent of the group and think he would fit well into our system. I know a lot of people feel corner is well down on our list of needs, but Griffin's recovering from a serious injury and Winfield is aging and there's always the possibility he moves to safety. I like the potential that Sapp and Allen have, but I don't think either has the upside that McCourty does.

In a division with Green Bay's passing attack as well as Cutler and Stafford/Megatron, I'm fine with stocking up on secondary talent since we have a pass rush up front that can make them look good. McCourty is not my first choice, but out of those three he'd be #1. I like Pouncey well enough but would rather wait on an interior lineman, and I'm just not big on Mays at all.

General Zod
03-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Pouncey

Mays

McCourty

Mays. Our safeties are horrid.

JFLO
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Mays. Our safeties are horrid.

I think you have to take Mays, seeing as how for some reason he falls that far.

I think Pouncey will be a good pro, but Mays' potential would just be too much to pass on at that point.

hagy34
03-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Mays and its not even close. He is a freak. He has things to work on, no question but out of those three guys he has the highest upside without question.

marshallb
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
For me it's very easy and would take all of about 12 seconds to get the card up to the podium: Mays. Neither of the other 2 are first round picks imo, and to me Mays is top 20 talent. While RG and CB are both big needs in their own right, they are farther down the list than S, which for me sits right beside QB at #1. I really like McCourty and he's my #2 CB behind Haden plus he fits the cover 2 well, but he's still not worth a first rounder to me, especially when I don't believe CB is a big need. As far as Pouncey goes, I like him quite a bit, but not in the first round unless no one else is available and we can't trade down.

BlueBandit24
03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't hate a Mays pick - the guy has loads of potential. I'd just rather have a ballhawk in our secondary and Mays does not have great ball-skills. I'd prefer a safety later as opposed to Mays in the 1st.

prock
03-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I never liked Brian Price to us because I didn't think he would fit as a NT in our defense, but after watching a **** ton of tape on him, I actually would love him. Price, Williams, Mays, Weatherspoon, Iupati are my top 5 options for us.

jimmylishis
03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I never liked Brian Price to us because I didn't think he would fit as a NT in our defense, but after watching a **** ton of tape on him, I actually would love him. Price, Williams, Mays, Weatherspoon, Iupati are my top 5 options for us.

Where the **** did you get tape of him?

jimmylishis
03-19-2010, 06:29 PM

but i totally agree with you those are my top 5 as well along with earl thomas

VoltronViking
03-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Mays at 30 would be just toooo good to be true...

Too many teams are in love with workout warriors and 40times

seeing Mays all the way down there??? He'll have to smoke sum pot like my boy Harvin did

prock
03-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Where the **** did you get tape of him?

youtube highlights/lowlights videos

TACKLE
03-21-2010, 03:00 PM
What do you guys think about Roger Saffold at #30. He is continuing to shoot up draft boards and there are talks that he could sneak into the late 1st. He could provide quality depth all across the O-Line. He could play RG and also can potentially replace McKinnie at LT down the road. How would feel about the pick?

BlueBandit24
03-21-2010, 04:39 PM
What do you guys think about Roger Saffold at #30. He is continuing to shoot up draft boards and there are talks that he could sneak into the late 1st. He could provide quality depth all across the O-Line. He could play RG and also can potentially replace McKinnie at LT down the road. How would feel about the pick?

It's interesting. If they felt Saffold was a long-term solution at left tackle I could certainly endorse it. I feel McKinnie's useful lifespan is nearing its end and finding his replacement is going to become extremely important within the next few years. If Saffold could immediately upgrade the guard position and turn into a franchise LT then I think the pick would be phenomenal.

Right now I'd prefer to go another direction, but if he keeps climbing the charts I'd certainly be intrigued by Saffold.

contento
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM

I was just choosing between him and McCourty in my Vikings mock on another site, based on the assumption Pouncey would be off the board.

I think Saffold is a very good prospect, and really doesn't have many flaws. The fact that he can move inside to Guard is also a huge plus.

While he's not the prototype godzilla-sized OT Chilly seems to prefer, he's big enough. Definitely more of a "finesse" type OT than Mount or Uncle Phil, but he's actually a fairly aggressive run blocker.

Had good showings against Schofield and Hardy in the shrine game practices/game, and held his own against Brandon Graham when they played each other this year. Had a great combine as well.

contento
03-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd take McCourty, because I feel he's the best talent of the group and think he would fit well into our system. I know a lot of people feel corner is well down on our list of needs, but Griffin's recovering from a serious injury and Winfield is aging and there's always the possibility he moves to safety. I like the potential that Sapp and Allen have, but I don't think either has the upside that McCourty does.

In a division with Green Bay's passing attack as well as Cutler and Stafford/Megatron, I'm fine with stocking up on secondary talent since we have a pass rush up front that can make them look good. McCourty is not my first choice, but out of those three he'd be #1. I like Pouncey well enough but would rather wait on an interior lineman, and I'm just not big on Mays at all.

I'd take Pouncey, but only slightly. It's a thin margin between him and McCourty in my eyes, and I think both will be studs.

But as we get closer to the draft I don't think there's any chance Pouncey is on the board at 30...

Ditto on Mays. I'm glad he's a physical freak and all, but you can't teach football instincts- and he has none.

Crazy_Chris
03-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Mays would be great but like most of you I would be surprised if he made it all the way to #30. I could see them trading up a few slots for him though. As for Pouncey I like him as a prospect but you can get quality RGs later in the draft so he is a bit further down on my board(as is Iupati).

My first round big board
Earl Thomas S Texas
Taylor Mays S USC
Dan Williams DT Tennessee
Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri
Kyle Wilson CB Boise St.
Brian Price DT UCLA
Maurkice Pouncey OG Florida
Mike Iupati OG Idaho
Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
Trade Down

General Zod
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Ya'll see Scotts latest mock? Devin McCourty with our first pick and Dexter McCluster with our 2nd. Im good with the McCourty pick, I like the guy a lot.
Im not a big McCluster fan at all.