PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez is just killin' it!

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Am I the only one overly impressed with what he's been doing since his arrival in NY? I've never heard of any rookie QB coming into the league and doing what he's been doing. Is it just because NY media is good at reporting this or is this the norm? He's really going above and beyond. He makes the goodie-too-shoes look like slackers.

JLaw45
05-05-2009, 05:42 AM
I have to say I wasn't surprised. The guy just seemed to ooze confidence and leadership back at USC. If any rookie QB would try to pull off what he has, I'd expect it to be him. That said, I'm still impressed. If you're still competing for a starting job(as the jets say he still is with clemens, truthful or not) what better way to earn in than through your intangibles? Get the team on your side, establish yourself as the leader, and its becomes a little harder not to start you.

ChiefLee
05-05-2009, 05:51 AM
I won't be surprised if he isn't significantly better than Stafford.

Shane P. Hallam
05-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Double negative aside, I am going to wait and see him play before actually being impressed with anything :P

wonderbredd24
05-05-2009, 08:03 AM
With receivers like David Clowney, Jerricho Cotchery, Britt Davis, Marcus Henry, Paul Raymond, Brad Smith, Chansi Stuckey, Huey Whittaker and Wallace Wright, I'll be surprised if Mark Sanchez doesn't break 4,000 yards and 30 TDs.

At least he has Dustin Keller

CJSchneider
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Double negative aside, I am going to wait and see him play before actually being impressed with anything :P

I agree - I'm reminded of a Bill Parcels quote that someone had as a sig here once.

"Potential means you haven't done **** yet."

I'm a USC fan, so no doubt I'm pulling for him, but as they say "The proof is in the pudding."

Bucs_Rule
05-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Rex Grossman was always great in practice.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah he has a "Matt Leinart" aura about him. lol, jk, but still I'll wait before I jump on his bandwagon. Just because he looks nice in shorts and flashes his dimples and flips his greasy hair doesn't make me go ga ga over him. It's the same reason why Dan Snyder loved him. Snyder barely knew anything about him as a player, all he knew was that he was from USC and made him hard when they had a pre draft dinner together.

Shane P. Hallam
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I think Sanchez can be very successful, but he won't put up studlike numbers or anything as a rookie. So, I am very interested to see.

vikes_28
05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Sanchez will be the next great star. Stafford will be the next Ryan Leaf.

FlyingElvis
05-05-2009, 08:39 AM
He is a total stud at calling impromtu meetings with the rookie offensive players, breaking down tape with the rookie O-linemen, and being a leader of all the rookies in camp.

He is definitely killin' it amongst the rookies.

Personally, I can't wait to see how much he's killin' it in the Jets home opener vs. N.E. Dodgammit, I <3 ruining the home opener of the Gang Green. I almost want them to win week one to make it worse . . . almost. Go Texans!

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Sanchez will be the next great star. Stafford will be the next Ryan Leaf.

Except Stafford won't be thrown into the Wolves early. I still believe that Stafford will be the superior QB but it seems like most especially ESPN believe Sanchez is the next Joe Namath. I found it funny that even on draft day Sanchez stole all of the media attention despite being the 5th pick, but I guess playing in New York does that to you, although I'm sure even if the Bucs or Skins got him the media attention would be the same. Anyways I'll take Stafford, he can throw with his eyes closed and Megatron will pull it down.

abaddon41_80
05-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Except Stafford won't be thrown into the Wolves early. I still believe that Stafford will be the superior QB but it seems like most especially ESPN believe Sanchez is the next Joe Namath. I found it funny that even on draft day Sanchez stole all of the media attention despite being the 5th pick, but I guess playing in New York does that to you, although I'm sure even if the Bucs or Skins got him the media attention would be the same. Anyways I'll take Stafford, he can throw with his eyes closed and Megatron will pull it down.

Being the next Joe Namath doesn't seem like a good thing, if you ask me.

Addict
05-05-2009, 09:01 AM
it's mini-camp for crying out loud. All the Sanchez love is getting a bit outrageous at this point...

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2009, 09:06 AM

I was thinking more on the media superstardom side of things.

Brent
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
A camera-friendly QB in NY? Of course he's going to be portrayed as a demigod.

Gay Ork Wang
05-05-2009, 10:06 AM
wins 1 SB and HoF, thats kinda fine :P

the decider13
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
I can't really be all that impressed by mini camp...I won't even be impressed by pre season. Gotta wait till regular season pressure starts to see if he is as good as the media says.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Ryan Leaf is one of 3 QB's with John Elway and Joe Flacco to win the first two games of his rookie year!!!

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Let's wait until at least preseason D :p

I always liked Sanchez though. Always liked him more than Stafford. That doesn't mean Stafford is trash or anything, just that I always liked Sanchez more.

I still firmly believe they should sit him a year. I'm just not a big fan of throwing qbs into the fire right away.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Let's wait until at least preseason D :p

I always liked Sanchez though. Always liked him more than Stafford. That doesn't mean Stafford is trash or anything, just that I always liked Sanchez more.

I still firmly believe they should sit him a year. I'm just not a big fan of throwing qbs into the fire right away.

Well Rex Ryan saw it first hand with Flacco last year. Obviously the Jets defense while it will be improved will be no where near the Ravens last year and how they won game for them, but I can easily see Ryan following suit. Making Sanchez a game manager not a game winner.

Halsey
05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Sanchez is the clear favorite to win the media relations Super Bowl. I mean, he's already being called a franchise QB by some media members. They might as well go ahead and make a space for his bust in Canton. Meanwhile, Stafford is already a bust because Jim Schwartz said he was a little "overanxious" at the start of camp. :D

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Well Rex Ryan saw it first hand with Flacco last year. Obviously the Jets defense while it will be improved will be no where near the Ravens last year and how they won game for them, but I can easily see Ryan following suit. Making Sanchez a game manager not a game winner.

Rex definitely has that in mind. and don't sleep on the Jets D, its actually pretty nasty. I just don't like the idea. Granted, I was strongly against them starting Flacco last year, and was proven wrong.

But just because it worked once, doesn't mean thats its a good idea every time. I just don't believe in starting rookie qbs. It can destroy their confidence.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Sanchez is the clear favorite to win the media relations Super Bowl. I mean, he's already being called a franchise QB by some media members. They might as well go ahead and make a space for his bust in Canton. Meanwhile, Stafford is already a bust because Jim Schwartz said he was a little "overanxious" at the start of camp. :D

Well in general any top 10 QB, or first round QB for that matter is labeled a franchise QB.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
qbs drafted in the 5-10 region of the draft almost always have a much better chance of succeeding than a guy who was drafted #1 overall.

generally, the guy drafted 5-10 goes to a much better team that can help his development, whereas the #1 guy goes to a team thats clearly in big trouble across the board.

thats why so many qbs taken after the #1 guy wind up having better careers. its not because they're better prospects, but really because they land in much better situations than their counterparts.

Compare the team that Sanchez went to vs Stafford. Its a day and night difference.

CashmoneyDrew
05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
wins 1 SB and HoF, thats kinda fine :P

Don't forget the panty hose!

Matthew Jones
05-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I think Stafford was the safer prospect and the right choice for Detroit but I would be fairly surprised if he turns out to be better than Mark Sanchez, only because I think Detroit is going to rush Stafford into action without the supporting cast he needs (as far as the offensive line), while I think the Jets have a nice foundation for Sanchez with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, Ferguson/Faneca/Mangold, etc.

CC.SD
05-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Ryan Leaf is one of 3 QB's with John Elway and Joe Flacco to win the first two games of his rookie year!!!

He looked good doing it too. Then came the meltdown at KC.

Sanchez has "it" and everyone knows about it now. He will start from day 1 and be productive. Over the next few years Rex Ryan is going to put his mark on that defense, and they'll get Sanchez some more dynamic weapons, I think the Jets are set up for a very nice run.

Addict
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
has anyone here gone clinically insane? Let's just wait until his career is actually underway before we start putting Sanchez in the HOF for excellence in mini-camp.

Gay Ork Wang
05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
has anyone here gone clinically insane? Let's just wait until his career is actually underway before we start putting Sanchez in the HOF for excellence in mini-camp.
dont u remember? with the emergence of Leodis McKelvin in Preseason the bills were the best ST ever

Addict
05-05-2009, 01:01 PM
dont u remember? with the emergence of Leodis McKelvin in Preseason the bills were the best ST ever

How could I forget!

Calvin & Kevin
05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
And by the way, Stafford looked very good in mini-camp too:

Schwartz also was happy with Stafford's performance and said the rookie made progress every day.

"No doubt. What you guys probably don't realize is how much we threw at him on a daily basis -- both quarterbacks," Schwartz said. "The scripts on the last day were exponentially more difficult and more involved than the first day. They made huge strides there.

"Quite honestly, I didn't realize how well (Stafford) was throwing the ball until I watched film. You see the balls put right on those receivers, and I sat in on the receivers meeting Friday or Saturday night and the (assistant coach Shawn Jefferson) kept having to warn the wide receivers 'Hey, you'd better get your head around because that ball's coming fast.' A lot of times on the field, you don't realize it until you watch the film. I was very pleased with the way he threw the ball."

But yeah, Sanchez is in New York and Stafford's in Detroit. Oh and Sanchez got the receivers together the night before mini-camp and gave them a pep talk. So I guess that means he's guaranteed to be a star and Stafford another Ryan Leaf. Sure.

I'm not trying to be a homer here and say that Stafford will be better. No one knows. But wow, Sanchez is getting hyped like he's Jesus Elway Montana Jr. That's a lot of pressure for a guy with 16 career college starts.

The first time he goes out there and stinks it up, New York will jump off that bandwagon so hard they'll feel the tremors in Bridgeport.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 01:08 PM
lol. Great responses. Obviously, he has not accomplished anything yet, but that's not what I was referring to. I just don't remember any QB in memory who has gone above and beyond in preparation and leadership for rookie minicamp before. If anyone can enlighten me, please do.

If I'm a Jets fan, I'm totally excited about this guy's work ethic and leadership. IMO, he is a franchise QB. So is Stafford. These teams have invested in them like franchise QBs and they will be asked to lead those franchises. Let's call it what it is. Franchise QBs are not necessarily elite QBs. Just QBs who the franchise designates as the guy who will lead that franchise for the foreseeable long term future.

As for who will be better Sanchez or Stafford... let's just say, I think it'll be almost laughable that this conversation ever existed. Sanchez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stafford.

FlyingElvis
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Nice sig, btw. ;)

A Perfect Score
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I have never been a fan of Sanchez. I think that he was incredibly overhyped coming into the draft. Bravo to the Jets for going and getting your guy, but I still feel he was overdrafted at 5. Hes got skills, but Im sorry, he also has Matt Leinart written all over him. I think his charm and personality helped him HUGELY in the draft process, and he went to NY, and environment where that will only get better.

To me, it isnt even close. Stafford is far and away a better QB prospect then Sanchez. Of course, like it has been mentioned, their supporting casts are a little better. But the Sanchez love was ridiculous on draft day, Mayock was all over his jock, and its still going. I agree hes great in front of the camera: Lets see how he does on the field. Let us not forget that he couldnt beat out John David Booty to start at USC and has 16 starts in his career. Again, he isnt as polished a product as people make him out to be.

Crickett
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Unless you're talking about the preseason, this is not true.

Shane P. Hallam
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I have never been a fan of Sanchez. I think that he was incredibly overhyped coming into the draft. Bravo to the Jets for going and getting your guy, but I still feel he was overdrafted at 5. Hes got skills, but Im sorry, he also has Matt Leinart written all over him. I think his charm and personality helped him HUGELY in the draft process, and he went to NY, and environment where that will only get better.

To me, it isnt even close. Stafford is far and away a better QB prospect then Sanchez. Of course, like it has been mentioned, their supporting casts are a little better. But the Sanchez love was ridiculous on draft day, Mayock was all over his jock, and its still going. I agree hes great in front of the camera: Lets see how he does on the field. Let us not forget that he couldnt beat out John David Booty to start at USC and has 16 starts in his career. Again, he isnt as polished a product as people make him out to be.

Uh oh, APs is pulling a Flacco! ;)

A Perfect Score
05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Uh oh, APs is pulling a Flacco! ;)

The Sanchez love has become a bit ridiculous IMO, that is all I am saying.

abaddon41_80
05-05-2009, 01:38 PM

I definitely agree with A Perfect Score on this one. Sanchez hasn't proven anything except that he knows how to handle the media and that he can play well in practice. How about everyone calms down for a little while until he does something? Or, more likely if you ask me, fails.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 01:39 PM

I don't like when people don't like a prospect based on whether a certain analyst they don't like hypes them up. That's the worst.

If he's bad, tell us why he's bad. What's your own analysis? For me, I don't like his long delivery. Too big of a windup. I don't think he's got the greatest velocity. I don't like his passes as much when his feet aren't set. I'd question how he plays on a team not stacked with talent like he had at USC. He's far from blemish or question, but there are also a lot of pluses.

I don't get how people can criticize him for not beating out a 5th year senior who waited a damn long time for his chance. Sanchez was a true freshman for crying out loud. When JDB did go down with an injury, Sanchez did step in and did a fine job at it too. But to say, he couldn't beat out JDB, so he must be a lesser talent, is laughable. I can't believe people use that kind of logic.

Also, just as people are saying wait for him to do something before you crown him... the same must be said on the other hand. Before you say he was overdrafed at 5, wait for the results. Can't ever knock a team who didn't get ripped off value wise, for being aggressive in the draft though.

whatadai
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM

Because Matt Leinart has been given a legitimate chance to lead the team, it is obvious he's a bust. Every skill Mark Sanchez has is very similar to Leinart's skill set too, they're practically clones.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I definitely agree with A Perfect Score on this one. Sanchez hasn't proven anything except that he knows how to handle the media and that he can play well in practice. How about everyone calms down for a little while until he does something? Or, more likely if you ask me, fails.
I haven't found a post in this thread that has said Sanchez has accomplished anything. Calm down on the overexaggeration folks. We're just admiring his unprecedented rookie QB preparations. No one has yet to say that there has been a QB this pro active this early in the process.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
The Sanchez love has become a bit ridiculous IMO, that is all I am saying.
So you're more critical of the love he's getting than him as an actual player. Classic AFC rival fan.

FlyingElvis
05-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I haven't found a post in this thread that has said Sanchez has accomplished anything. Calm down on the overexaggeration folks. We're just admiring his unprecedented rookie QB preparations. No one has yet to say that there has been a QB this pro active this early in the process.

No one has yet to say there's ever been a QB who garnered such an incredible amount of media hype, either.

I agree he has shown great initiative in his role thus far, but the media coverage and Sanchez love has gone well past fanboi-ism at this point.

Find me any rookie QB who had major, national coverage like this to even attempt a comparison. The media coverage is unprecedented. I can't say for sure if his actions are unprecented because I have never seen this swarm of media hype before. I fully expect a break down of his stool within the next week. "Corn in, corn out. I'm Chris Mortensen, ESPN."

derza222
05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
To keep it succinct, as a Jets fan I'm excited about the work ethic he brings to the table and his leadership qualities. It seems like if he fails, it won't be for lack of putting in the time to improve and put him in a situation to play well. Getting his teammates together I believe two consecutive nights to go over the playbook was impressive. However, we all obviously need to wait until the games start to even begin to form an opinion on him as an NFL player on the field. Should be interesting. And he needs another WR.

WMD
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
In the immortal words of Public Enemy... Don't believe the hype!

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Sanchez will have a sick defense in New York as well as a great o-line and run game. I think he is vastly overhyped, but I think he'll live up to it, not cause he is just so good, its his supporting cast. That defense is stacked with guys like Revis, Rhodes, Leonhard in the secondary, Harris, Scott, Pace, and Jenkins in the front seven. As well as a possible suprise year from Vernon Gholston. And don't forget who's coaching them. Don't be suprised to see the Jets have a top 5 defense next year.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Sanchez better gives those receivers a pep talk. They need all the help they can get. I think Sanchez is in a good situation other than receiver talent and has a very good skill set and is NFL ready coming from USC. Most likely he'll have some success in 2009. Although, I want to see him bust though for entertainement purposes only just to see what the media says after they annointed him the chosen one.

Stafford can just throw the ball straight up in the air and Calvin will catch it, sign some autographs for the opposing cornerbacks who got the priviledge to play against Calvin and then run in it for a touchdown. No need for pep talks.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
No one has yet to say there's ever been a QB who garnered such an incredible amount of media hype, either.

I agree he has shown great initiative in his role thus far, but the media coverage and Sanchez love has gone well past fanboi-ism at this point.

Find me any rookie QB who had major, national coverage like this to even attempt a comparison. The media coverage is unprecedented. I can't say for sure if his actions are unprecented because I have never seen this swarm of media hype before. I fully expect a break down of his stool within the next week. "Corn in, corn out. I'm Chris Mortensen, ESPN."
Ah, but think about it... If Sanchez was not doing these things, do you think his hype by the media would be the same?

Gotta give credit to Sanchez for seizing the opportunity in front of him.

I thought Stafford is the chosen one.... Didn't he go #1 overall? Wasn't he the hands down best player in the draft by all the experts? By most here??? LOL.

Sanchez is the champion of the underdog.

Shane P. Hallam
05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Ah, but think about it... If Sanchez was not doing these things, do you think his hype by the media would be the same?

I thought Stafford is the chosen one.... Didn't he go #1 overall? Wasn't he the hands down best player in the draft by all the experts? By most here??? LOL.

I think two weeks heading up to the draft, most national experts started getting on that Sanchez bandwagon as he got more press. Trent Dilfer has now said Sanchez is the best QB he has evaluated since he started doing it in 2000. I don't think Sanchez is the champion of the underdog anymore.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
In the immortal words of Public Enemy... Don't believe the hype!
http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/rod_tidwell.jpg

In the immortal words of Rod Tidwell... Show me the money!!!

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/05/StaffordAndCox.jpg

A Perfect Score
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't like when people don't like a prospect based on whether a certain analyst they don't like hypes them up. That's the worst.

If he's bad, tell us why he's bad. What's your own analysis? For me, I don't like his long delivery. Too big of a windup. I don't think he's got the greatest velocity. I don't like his passes as much when his feet aren't set. I'd question how he plays on a team not stacked with talent like he had at USC. He's far from blemish or question, but there are also a lot of pluses.

I don't get how people can criticize him for not beating out a 5th year senior who waited a damn long time for his chance. Sanchez was a true freshman for crying out loud. When JDB did go down with an injury, Sanchez did step in and did a fine job at it too. But to say, he couldn't beat out JDB, so he must be a lesser talent, is laughable. I can't believe people use that kind of logic.

Also, just as people are saying wait for him to do something before you crown him... the same must be said on the other hand. Before you say he was overdrafed at 5, wait for the results. Can't ever knock a team who didn't get ripped off value wise, for being aggressive in the draft though.

To be fair, I like Mayock. I think hes probably the best analyst when it comes to the draft. It was just super annoying on draft day to listen to him talk about Mark Sanchez every time he had a free 5 seconds.

My main criticism with Sanchez is, as I said, his lack of experience. I am sick of hearing that he is pro ready and that he is a polished product. 16 starts. Thats all. Thats barely enough games to make a highlight reel, let alone get a real deep analysis on the guy. Obviously the Jets know alot that I dont. What I do know is he played on an absolutely stacked team (not his fault) and he has limited starting experience. He certainly has alot of things to like as well, including his moxy and the system he came from, but as far as phyiscal tools are concerned, he certainly isnt elite. I think hes benefitting from Matt Ryan's "I dont have the best phyiscal tools, but hell Ive got intangibles" success of his rookie season as far as the hype is concerned.

And another thing: Where was I overly critical of Sanchez? I was critical of the hype he is receiving. He wasnt a better prospect then Stafford, but all of a sudden he shines in some interviews and hes the ****? Sure he gets more media exposure being in NY, but he has done nothing to warrant that exposure other then being drafted high.

And I didnt critisize the Jets trade. They got great value to move up that far. In my opinon, 5 was too high for Sanchez. Of course, its all wait and see at this point, this is just how I feel.

Because Matt Leinart has been given a legitimate chance to lead the team, it is obvious he's a bust. Every skill Mark Sanchez has is very similar to Leinart's skill set too, they're practically clones.

Read the scouting reports champ. I bet if I gave you the two reports and didnt tell you who's was who's, you would have a hell of a time telling the two apart. They are very similar products. I agree that Leinart hasnt really had a chance to shine in Zona, but given his playing time, I think we all expected a little something more out of Leinart.

So you're more critical of the love he's getting than him as an actual player. Classic AFC rival fan.

Of course Im more critical of the love hes getting. So are others. Classic AFC rival fan? Wow a stereotype, good job. Im saying, other then an interview or two, Sanchez has done nothing to deserve this type of hype. I still see a guy who needs to sit a year before he will be super successful, but hey, Flacco and Ryan did fine, maybe I'm wrong. And if I am, Ill admit it when the time comes. Till then, I dont buy the Sanchez hype.

ImBrotherCain
05-05-2009, 02:27 PM
i like what hes doing... i have always hated USC for their dominance but there is just something about this guy.

Didn't they say something about Matt Ryan about this last year.... how he earned the respect of the guys in the locker room. Its not on the same scale but similar

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 02:27 PM
To be fair, I like Mayock. I think hes probably the best analyst when it comes to the draft. It was just super annoying on draft day to listen to him talk about Mark Sanchez every time he had a free 5 seconds.

My main criticism with Sanchez is, as I said, his lack of experience. I am sick of hearing that he is pro ready and that he is a polished product. 16 starts. Thats all. Thats barely enough games to make a highlight reel, let alone get a real deep analysis on the guy. Obviously the Jets know alot that I dont. What I do know is he played on an absolutely stacked team (not his fault) and he has limited starting experience. He certainly has alot of things to like as well, including his moxy and the system he came from, but as far as phyiscal tools are concerned, he certainly isnt elite. I think hes benefitting from Matt Ryan's "I dont have the best phyiscal tools, but hell Ive got intangibles" success of his rookie season as far as the hype is concerned.

And another thing: Where was I overly critical of Sanchez? I was critical of the hype he is receiving. He wasnt a better prospect then Stafford, but all of a sudden he shines in some interviews and hes the ****? Sure he gets more media exposure being in NY, but he has done nothing to warrant that exposure other then being drafted high.

And I didnt critisize the Jets trade. They got great value to move up that far. In my opinon, 5 was too high for Sanchez. Of course, its all wait and see at this point, this is just how I feel.

Read the scouting reports champ. I bet if I gave you the two reports and didnt tell you who's was who's, you would have a hell of a time telling the two apart. They are very similar products. I agree that Leinart hasnt really had a chance to shine in Zona, but given his playing time, I think we all expected a little something more out of Leinart.

Of course Im more critical of the love hes getting. So are others. Classic AFC rival fan? Wow a stereotype, good job. Im saying, other then an interview or two, Sanchez has done nothing to deserve this type of hype. I still see a guy who needs to sit a year before he will be super successful, but hey, Flacco and Ryan did fine, maybe I'm wrong. And if I am, Ill admit it when the time comes. Till then, I dont buy the Sanchez hype.
Lack of experience is legit. Only because it is unprecedented. But experience comes with time and Sanchez has a lot of time in front of him.

Hating the hype is a bad reason to hate a player. But... that'll happen till the end of time. I know I can't stop that.

thetedginnshow
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I think it's comical that people are saying Leinart and Sanchez are alike. I mean, granted, they're trying to put a negative spin on things while we still don't know if Leinart is going to be a bust, but they're just not that alike. Sanchez is a documented harder worker, he has a stronger arm, he's more athletic, and Leinart has the prototypical size. I'd also say that Leinart proved to be clutch, while Sanchez was more of a leader.

As for all the first round QBs, I think they'll all be good. I think they were all put in a position that puts them in the best position possible to be successful. I'd venture to guess Stafford will put up the most gaudy numbers, Sanchez the most wins, and Freeman a healthy dose of the two, but we'll see.

You have to love what Sanchez has done though. I think the difference between him, Stafford, and Freeman is that from a leadership standpoint, he does what they talk about trying to do. It just comes naturally to him, like being an egotistical asshat comes naturally to Freeman.

whatadai
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM

What? How are they similar products?

Similarities:
-Played in a pro style offense
-Size and frame to play QB
-Has great arm strength
-Both are smart QBs, can read defenses
-Both have great confidence

Differences:
-Leinart had much more experience
-Leinart has ideal height, Sanchez doesn't
-Leinart had better accuracy on deep passes, partly similar in that Sanchez's accuracy on deep passes isn't horrible
-Sanchez has a better work ethic
-Sanchez has better footwork, and it helps him throw better on the run than Leinart could
-Sanchez is a better team leader
-While both smart, Leinart made better decisions due to his experience
-Leinart was surrounded by much better talent on offense
-Sanchez has a much quicker release
-Sanchez's velocity on the ball is much better than Leinart's

I could say so much more on differences. I'm also saying this stuff on how Leinart and Sanchez played in their last years at USC.

Gay Ork Wang
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
If APS says Sanchez sucks, the Jets have a great QB on their hands

A Perfect Score
05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
If APS says Sanchez sucks, the Jets have a great QB on their hands

And if Renji ever contributes something meaningful to the argument, let me know

FlyingElvis
05-05-2009, 03:11 PM

The love affair started before he was even drafted, then blew up once he was drafted to media central. So yes, the hype would be the same - since it was like this before he was "doing these things." And yes to part two, as well. Already gave him his due credit for seizing the opportunity. I just don't think it's as unusual as this particular case wants us to believe.

i like what hes doing... i have always hated USC for their dominance but there is just something about this guy.

Didn't they say something about Matt Ryan about this last year.... how he earned the respect of the guys in the locker room. Its not on the same scale but similar

Yes. And others before him, too. Was it on the same scale? Maybe not, but my point is that we don't know b/c Ryan and some others were not drafted to the media frenzy that is NYC.

Borat
05-05-2009, 03:34 PM

Didn't Ben Roethlisburger go 13-0 to start his career?

Gay Ork Wang
05-05-2009, 03:42 PM
And if Renji ever contributes something meaningful to the argument, let me know
there is nothing really to argue about here besides ur unmistakenly talent to evaluate QBs like Flacco

A Perfect Score
05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
there is nothing really to argue about here besides ur unmistakenly talent to evaluate QBs like Flacco

Or your unique ability to screw up an insult...

bored of education
05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
not one rookie has proved a thing yet, people who were drafted in 06 still haven't proved anything. lets hop of the dick

Gay Ork Wang
05-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Or your unique ability to screw up an insult...
pssst i could insult u in like 5 different languages

HawkeyeFan
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
it's mini-camp for crying out loud. All the Sanchez love is getting a bit outrageous at this point...
I agree, this is rediculous. Let the man play a down before we hop on is rod.

I like what Sanchez is doing, or how he's handling the pressure. But, he's just going with the flow, he hasn't done anything completely mind blowing or anything like that.

05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
He certainly has alot of things to like as well, including his moxy and the system he came from, but as far as phyiscal tools are concerned, he certainly isnt elite. I think hes benefitting from Matt Ryan's "I dont have the best phyiscal tools, but hell Ive got intangibles" success of his rookie season as far as the hype is concerned.

In case you didn't know, the exceptional QBs (especially early on) all had the necessary top notch intangibles. All you have to do is look at recent rookie success stories in Roethlisberger, Ryan and Flacco. After all, the game at the position is just as much mental as it is physical, if not more. Moxy and a great personality should not be frowned upon as bogus ways to 'hype' up a prospect, but rather appreciated for the art it truly is. Sanchez is a guy teammates are not only willing to fight for, but for example, when an inaccurate ball is thrown into the air, his receiver will look to break up an INT as opposed to dogging it because of the mutual respect shared on and off the field. Why should that part of the game be ignored? Makes little sense.

Of course, talent reigns supreme, particularly in a talent-driven league. Sanchez has his fair share of that too and to group him together with Leinart would be foolish. Iím sure the majority of USC fans on this board would agree with me when I say Sanchez is the far more talented of the two QBs. Leinart was never the top overall recruit in the nation, never had the same level of arm strength, nor accuracy. About the only argument you can make is they were both quick in their reads, and oh yeah, that whole personality thing again. Even then, I donít recall Leinart expressing anywhere near the same type of emotions on the field. I donít even want to get into work ethic and the drive to be successful because the two are like night and day there as well, the whole comparison is really asinine.

In saying this, I still believe Stafford can have success in Detroit mostly because I actually feel he shares some of the same qualities, just not to the extent of Sanchez. Contrary to the popular consensus in this yearís draft evaluations, the top part of this QB group (Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, White) is strong and will all prove to be tremendous starters.

Sanchez may indeed begin his play almost entirely as a game manager type, though as time wears on in his rookie year Iíd really expect to see some notable progressions where he could start putting up the bigger numbers youíd come to expect from a designated franchise guy. Just donít anticipate this guy to be another Trojan failure of media hype, no, not this guy. Heís the real deal. I promise. ;)

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Didn't Ben Roethlisburger go 13-0 to start his career?

I don't know if that stat is games or games started. Big Ben came in Week 1 for Maddox and they lost that game. But yes Big Ben won 13 or maybe even 15 in a row. Well the Steelers did, but he was the game manager/clutch guy.

BlindSite
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I think maddox won two games, lost one and then in the fourth roethlisberger came in and won and kept the start and gets credited with 13 wins. I could be wrong though they could've been 1-1 when he came in.

Sanchez reminds me a lot of Brees not just because of his stature, he's got that same quietish moxie and confidence that people feed off. I don't know how he'll go in such a hellish division as a rook if he starts, but I like his chances to be a success rather than leinart who though I still think he could be a success is too much of a ***** to fight for it.

Da-Phins
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Beck was killin it to with the stuff he did in the offseason in his first two years in Miami and now he's with another team going in to his 3rd year. Don't crown him God just yet. Wait until he actually plays in a game. Great work ethic doesn't always guarantee success.

whatadai
05-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Beck was killin it to with the stuff he did in the offseason in his first two years in Miami and now he's with another team going in to his 3rd year. Don't crown him God just yet. Wait until he actually plays in a game. Great work ethic doesn't always guarantee success.

He's nothing close to Sanchez's talent though.

thetedginnshow
05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
John Beck is the next Steve Young.

Addict
05-05-2009, 06:34 PM
John Beck is the next Steve Old.

25-year old rookie ;)

Da-Phins
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM

Cam Cameron approves this message.

Brent
05-05-2009, 06:40 PM
John Beck can start as well as run and put up stats surrounded by inferior talent while playing for a Florida sports team?

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow. Minicamp love. We're talking about stinkin' minicamp and yall are already crowning his azz!!!

You know who looked good in his first minicamp too? Heath Shuler.

No way am I comparing Sanchez to Shuler, but the point is minicamp doesn't mean sh@t, except to indicate how well a young QB can process the playbook in a couple weeks.

When Sanchez gets rocked a few times by 275 pound DE, or a 315 lb DT, then picks his butt up and throws a strike in the endzone, then I'll give him his props.

As of now he's another promising rookie QB who still needs time to develop.

And Matt Leinart is still gonna be a good one in the league, IMO. He happened to end up in a situation behind a potential HOFer who found his second wind.

It would have been a mistake for the Cards to let Leinart learn on the job when they had a SB vet who was ready to take them to the show.

In 2011, I fully expect Leinart to earn the starting job.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Leinart is going the Aaron Rogers route. I agree people are sleeping on him.

As for Sanchez... He's the undisputed, best pound for pound king of rookie mini-camp.

CC.SD
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Leinart is going the Aaron Rogers route. I agree people are sleeping on him.

As for Sanchez... He's the undisputed, best pound for pound king of rookie mini-camp.

Just realized it's going to take about 3 games for Sanchez to pass Leinart in every major statistical category. How sad.

Okay, an exaggeration but still.

BlindSite
05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
The thing I don't understand is, under Denny Green in the infamous CROWN 'EM game, he played very, very well and performed under a lot of pressure despite what the stat page might show.

How in the hell did he regress so quickly?

WMD
05-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't get ahead of yourselves with Sanchez.. Remember, The Lions went 4-0 in the Preseason last year.

diabsoule
05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Glad to hear The Dirty is beasting in rookie mini-camp. I mean, that's like the real thing, isn't it? Good to see he's still playing well against the same level of competition he played against at USC.

I still think he's going to lay a cleveland steamer in the middle of the Meadowlands when he plays against the great defenses he'll see this year like the Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, Panthers, Dolphins, Giants, and Vikings.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Glad to hear The Dirty is beasting in rookie mini-camp. I mean, that's like the real thing, isn't it? Good to see he's still playing well against the same level of competition he played against at USC.

I still think he's going to lay a cleveland steamer in the middle of the Meadowlands when he plays against the great defenses he'll see this year like the Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, Panthers, Dolphins, Giants, and Vikings.
Did you read the first post? LOL.

Timbathia
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Am I the only one overly impressed with what he's been doing since his arrival in NY? I've never heard of any rookie QB coming into the league and doing what he's been doing. Is it just because NY media is good at reporting this or is this the norm? He's really going above and beyond. He makes the goodie-too-shoes look like slackers.

No, you are obviously not the only one as the media, coaches and NYJ fans all seem to be swept up in the Sanchez love fest too. Media hyped charismatic guy going top 5 to a NY team and acts like a leader - bound to happen.

I would more interested in doing a survey of the non-rookie players in the jets camp to see what they honestly think of Sanchez. As a rule most veteran players dont like media-friendly pretty boys with stuff-all-experience and a ton of hype waltzing in and acting like they own the joint. Then again, maybe it is just me.

The tough thing for Sanchez is that the jets def is not anywhere near as good as the steelers or ravens when Ben and Flacco had their rookie years, and Sanchez doesnt have michael turner or roddy white to help him like Ryan did. IMO the jets will lose a lot of games if Sanchez starts all season, so it will be interesting to see how the media and fans stick by Sanchez as the season wears on if they do have a losing season.

thetedginnshow
05-06-2009, 01:22 AM
I would more interested in doing a survey of the non-rookie players in the jets camp to see what they honestly think of Sanchez. As a rule most veteran players dont like media-friendly pretty boys with stuff-all-experience and a ton of hype waltzing in and acting like they own the joint. Then again, maybe it is just me.

Which veteran player are you?

D-Unit
05-06-2009, 01:36 AM
No, you are obviously not the only one as the media, coaches and NYJ fans all seem to be swept up in the Sanchez love fest too. Media hyped charismatic guy going top 5 to a NY team and acts like a leader - bound to happen.

The tough thing for Sanchez is that the jets def is not anywhere near as good as the steelers or ravens when Ben and Flacco had their rookie years, and Sanchez doesnt have michael turner or roddy white to help him like Ryan did. IMO the jets will lose a lot of games if Sanchez starts all season, so it will be interesting to see how the media and fans stick by Sanchez as the season wears on if they do have a losing season.
The only veteran players probably pissed off are the other QBs fighting for a spot. Kellen Clemens, etc.

Do you think the NY media is setting Sanchez up for failure with expectations so high? I can see how some can interpret the current situation as building false hype around Sanchez. But I really don't see expectations being tagged to him. I've only seen them raving about the way he's taken upon himself in being a natural leader. Have yet to see the # of wins he'll add to the team this season.

Timbathia
05-06-2009, 02:12 AM
The only veteran players probably pissed off are the other QBs fighting for a spot. Kellen Clemens, etc.

Do you think the NY media is setting Sanchez up for failure with expectations so high? I can see how some can interpret the current situation as building false hype around Sanchez. But I really don't see expectations being tagged to him. I've only seen them raving about the way he's taken upon himself in being a natural leader. Have yet to see the # of wins he'll add to the team this season.

Even if you look at a lot of the posts from Jets fans within these forums, as well as media outlets, etc., most astute fans say the usual rhetoric about it isnt good for a rookie QB to start and that Clemens should get an opportunity, etc., etc., but almost all indicate some level of hope that Sanchez will show how amazing he is in the preseason and win the job. My own opinion is that Clemens will start the season unquestionably and would have to be injured or forget how to throw before Sanchez even got a sniff of that spot. Rookie QBs do improve by sitting on the bench for a year as there is a lot to learn for a NFL QB, especially one without a ton of experience starting in college. Those NFL fans that arent particularly astute and believe everything they hear in the media, will almost certainly be showing a higher level of hope that Sanchez will be the starter on opening day (and I assume they think he will be able to win them a few games). So in answer to your question, yes, I do think this hype is building a lot of unrealistic expectations on Sanchez, especially because it is the time of the year in football when there is stuff all else to get excited about.

i guess it would be interesting to do a poll of Jets fans with the question "how many games do you think the Jets will win if Sanchez is that starter?". that should tell us if there are any expectations tied to him.

whatadai
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Even if you look at a lot of the posts from Jets fans within these forums, as well as media outlets, etc., most astute fans say the usual rhetoric about it isnt good for a rookie QB to start and that Clemens should get an opportunity, etc., etc.,
Usually. We know its possible with Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Flacco. They won't do great but they'll get the job done, at least better than the other QBs that were on the team. Most people would agree that Stafford can't be one of these cases because it's Detroit and their offensive line sucks, their defense can't win for them either. However, the Jets at least have a good offensive line, a couple weapons in Cotchery, Keller, Jones, Greene, and Washington, and a defense that could help Sanchez win games. The Jets also have other WRs that have flashed ability that may be brought out by Sanchez? I mean, no one thought White was going to be THAT good with Ryan, and they'll probably get better together. Not only that, he has Ryan who pushed for Flacco to start and is pushing for him to start and has the experience to not throw too much on his first year quarterback's shoulders. Why can't Sanchez be one of these cases?

In my opinion, if you want a rookie quarterback to start for a team, Sanchez has landed in one of the best cases for it.

Manic Depressant
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM

Are you not used to this? Every team's local paper gushes about the rookies. It's all just fluff to build hype for the upcoming season. You can't read into it at all because is means absolutely nothing.

Are people actually getting excited about what Sanchez has done thus far (aka nothing)? Come on, at least wait until training camp.

D-Unit
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Are you not used to this? Every team's local paper gushes about the rookies. It's all just fluff to build hype for the upcoming season. You can't read into it at all because is means absolutely nothing.

Are people actually getting excited about what Sanchez has done thus far (aka nothing)? Come on, at least wait until training camp.
Not talking about the hype from the media. I'm talking about the things he's doing. Gathering the rookies together to study the playbook on his own initiative, running plays on their own, being a leader for them, blah, blah, blah...

I've never heard of a rookie QB come in and do those things. It's probably more common than I think, but you hardly hear about these things. I know Stafford hasn't done the same...

whatadai
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Anyways, does anyone else think Sanchez looks a little like a young Jim Plunkett?

Gay Ork Wang
05-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Earl Bennett was supposedly the best WR in camp and didnt even play a down

whatadai
05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Earl Bennett was supposedly the best WR in camp and didnt even play a down

No it wasn't. It was Eddie Royal. I remember I didn't stop seeing news about the guy with Shanahan gushing about him to the media all the time. That hype made him drop in fantasy drafts and become a steal.

abaddon41_80
05-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I think Josh Morgan had the most camp hype of rookie WRs last year.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Fact is, what he's done up until this point, which is as far as things could be done, have shown that he is doing everything possible to get peoples respect, be a leader, and show that he has the maturity of someone beyond a rookie who left school as a junior after starting one season. No one has claimed anything other than that he has done things that stand out from the norm. He hasn't done anything in preseason, the season, or anything else. However, to this point, he has impressed. Plain and simple. He's done things that rookie QBs don't usually do. As a Jets fan, i couldn't be more impressed.

Now, obviously non of this means a thing if in the next 2 years he hasn't done anything in the league. Winning is the bottom line. But it is a nice start. I think that is all this thread was implying....not that he just won the Superbowl.

Gay Ork Wang
05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
No it wasn't. It was Eddie Royal. I remember I didn't stop seeing news about the guy with Shanahan gushing about him to the media all the time. That hype made him drop in fantasy drafts and become a steal.
not in chicago

whatadai
05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
not in chicago

Chicago news seen more in Chicago? Really?! :eek:

And no I don't live in or close to Denver.

I think we're talking more about national media hype.

Gay Ork Wang
05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
u were talking about the team's local paper

Saints-Tigers
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Not talking about the hype from the media. I'm talking about the things he's doing. Gathering the rookies together to study the playbook on his own initiative, running plays on their own, being a leader for them, blah, blah, blah...

I've never heard of a rookie QB come in and do those things. It's probably more common than I think, but you hardly hear about these things. I know Stafford hasn't done the same...

Well this thread clearly didn't have an agenda.

Too bad Stafford is better at playing football.