PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Baltimore Ravens breakout players are...

ccB
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
You tell me!

Here are mine

RB Ray Rice: Ray Rice is a baller, you know it, I know it, we all know it. The guy is small in stature but tough as nails. Willis McGahee is on the downside of his career and I think Ray Rice overtakes him and whoever else for the role as feature back this year. Also watch out for Ced Peerman out of UVA, I think he was an absolute steal for a 6th round pick.

WR Demetrius Williams: I know every year one of us predicts a breakout year from Demetrius, but I think all D-Will needs to break out this year is a healthy season (which is a lot to ask from the oft-injured WR) But I think if he can stay on the field for the majority of the year he will be the guy to take full advantage of Flacco's cannon.

WR Marcus Smith If Williams does end up following past trends and finds himself hurt I think Marcus Smith will be the guy to come in and snatch that #3 spot.

LB Tavares Gooden Bart Scott's vacated position is up for grabs and someone has to take it, the front runner will be T-Good. You don't spend a 3rd round pick on a player you don't expect to contribute so Gooden will be given every chance to shine this year. I think he takes full advantage of those opportunities and shines this year the way many LB's have while playing next to Ray Ray.

ILB Jason Phillips Gooden needs to be looking over his shoulder because if he gets too comfortable Phillips will come up and snatch that spot from him. Phillips is a tough, hard-nosed, gamer who will leave his heart and soul out on the football field. I really think this guy will impress the staff because of these reasons and he will make it onto the field this year in some capacity.

I would say Jameel McClain but he kind of broke out last year, but I do think he will make even more of an impact this year.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
You took all the good ones!!!!!

ccB
05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
You took all the good ones!!!!!

I cannot tell you enough how much I love your sig/sig quote combo. I'd rep you if I could.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Just thank stephenson86 for the sig and APS for being a turd sandwich

Ravens1991
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Its hard to pick breakout players when you already have posted 1/2 of the non-veterans on the roster.

Seriously I think Gooden will replace Scott just fine

ccB
05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Its hard to pick breakout players when you already have posted 1/2 of the non-veterans on the roster.

Seriously I think Gooden will replace Scott just fine

Well one of the ILB's breaking out is a given, and of course I had to add the obligatory Demetrius Williams reference in a thread about break out players :)

Ravens1991
05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
of course LOL. He has talent I think he can be a decent player but I think we all over rated him thinking he was going to be some superstar in the making

ccB
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
of course LOL. He has talent I think he can be a decent player but I think we all over rated him thinking he was going to be some superstar in the making

The potentials always been there, the injuries are his biggest enemy. Not to mention he had the world beating duo of McNair and Boller throwing to him his first few years. I want to see him with a full season of Flacco throwing to him, last year before he went out it seemed like they were developing some chemistry. D-Will is the only WR on our roster that can fully utilize Flacco's arm.

Ravens1991
05-05-2009, 12:43 PM
true I hope he develops into a good vertical threat. We need one.

coordinator0
05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I think Brandon McKinney will have a big year this year, possibly even doing so good that he can become Pryce's eventual replacement.

Ravens1991
05-05-2009, 01:47 PM
McKinney is 6'2 324, I doubt he can play 34 DE. Also Dcarey I doubt Gregg is back up NT. I think he will start at NT

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I love how you mention Ray Rice. He will be huge for us next year IF the coaches use him. He was so under utilized last year it was crazy. Move Le'Ron back to Fb and let Rice share with McGahee. Rice will our "Santonio Holmes" when we play the Steelers. Holmes is the 1 thing the Steelers have that we don't, hopefully Rice can make the plays he makes for us. As for D-Will, I'm pretty sure he'll be a solid starter for us. Maybe a rich mans Nate Washington? I gatta give it to him, he was playing with Boller and Steve McNoodle Arm McNair so I definetly think he'll shine with Flacco at QB. However, I'm not on the Marcus Smith bandwagon just yet.

A Perfect Score
05-08-2009, 02:09 AM
I really think that Antwan Barnes will come in and show something this year...He knows Suggs could leave next year, and if he wants to show the coaching staff that he can be his replacement and a full time starter, this is the place to do it

jkpigskin
05-08-2009, 03:14 AM
Im really excited about Tavares Gooden. I see so much potential in the guy and it excites me that he could be our starter

for the future, not this year, would be jason phillips... i see a potential replacement of ray ray in him

EdReedUnstoppable
05-08-2009, 04:12 AM

Once again, I don't think anyone overrated him, his path to superstardem was derailed by injuries IMO.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Once again, I don't think anyone overrated him, his path to superstardem was derailed by injuries IMO.

true, he has all the tools to be a dangerous deep threat. I wouldn't be suprised at all if he is our leading WR at the end of the season. If he stays healthy, its a huge possibility.

ccB
05-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Yeah I tend to think like you on this one. When he's been in the game he never really showed that we were all wrong for hyping the pick, it's just his ability to stay in the games that has made him a bit of a let down so far.