PDA

View Full Version : The Official G-Men 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Its never too early. List some guys you have your eyes on.

As of right now, my main man is Brandon Spikes to play MIKE for us.

Giantsfan1080
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Should we list guys who we have a realistic shot to get? I love Sergio Kindle from Texas but unless we completely fall apart we have no shot at him.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Should we list guys who we have a realistic shot to get? I love Sergio Kindle from Texas but unless we completely fall apart we have no shot at him.

list anyone and everyone. you never know who is what by this time next year.

if i recall correctly, i wanted Fili Moala last year, who was pegged as a top 20 pick, and he fell all the way to round 2 and was projected as a round 3/4 pick.

Michael Oher was supposed to the first LT off the board and went in the 20s.

so you never know.

Giantsfan1080
05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Just to start the Rutgers love for next year as well then watch Anthony Davis. He has NFL OT written all over him and will probably be a 1st rounder if he comes out early. He can def. be the LT of the future if we are looking tha way. Whimper, Beatty, and Davis would set us up beautifully on the O-Line.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Just to start the Rutgers love for next year as well then watch Anthony Davis. He has NFL OT written all over him and will probably be a 1st rounder if he comes out early. He can def. be the LT of the future if we are looking tha way. Whimper, Beatty, and Davis would set us up beautifully on the O-Line.

i like Davis.

other guys ive kept tabs on:

Greg Hardy
George Selvie
Mark Herzlich
Taylor Mays
Eric Berry
Earl Thomas (realistic shot and is a beast)
Sam Young

BaLLiN
05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
i really like george selvie, would not mind if we took him although itd mean we'd definitely part ways with kiwi

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't see us resigning Kiwi anyway. He's just gonna cost too much for us to keep.

He's either trade bait next year, or we keep him and franchise him and try to squeeze as many years as we can out of him before we let him walk.

Mr. Hero
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I love Spikes, I thought he would've been the second LB selected had he come out, that said I don't think that we need another backer with Boley, Sintim, Kehl and Goff as our young backers. I'm still on the Oghobaase bandwagon, I think he has the potential to be a poor man's albert haynesworth and will do a great job pushing the pocket and forcing penetration while shutting down the interior running game.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
yeah the development of Kehl and Goff along with Sintim will be key in evaluating our need for a LB this coming year.

a game changing MIKE would do wonders for this defense though. Spikes could be that guy.

I thought Maualuga couldve been that guy this year, but we passed on him. that kind of hurt, i was hoping he'd fall to us when we picked Sintim.

Mr. Hero
05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
yeah the development of Kehl and Goff along with Sintim will be key in evaluating our need for a LB this coming year.

a game changing MIKE would do wonders for this defense though. Spikes could be that guy.

I thought Maualuga couldve been that guy this year, but we passed on him. that kind of hurt, i was hoping he'd fall to us when we picked Sintim.

I'm probably over-rating Goff and Kehl but I think both could be starting by the playoffs, Kehl at sam and Goff stepping in for AP, since I wouldn't be surprised to see him get injured due to those extra 15 pounds he doesn't want to lose.

Giantsfan1080
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm probably over-rating Goff and Kehl but I think both could be starting by the playoffs, Kehl at sam and Goff stepping in for AP, since I wouldn't be surprised to see him get injured due to those extra 15 pounds he doesn't want to lose.

I'm a big fan of Goff so I hope your right. Looking at the defense for next draft the only positions we might need help at are S, MLB, and DT. I like Goff but if there is a stud available we might jump on that. It is so insane the depth that Reese has built on this team.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah its hard to find any "holes" at the moment on this team. The depth is pretty ridiculous.

Its almost like we're trying to replace good players with great ones. I love Goff myself, and I'm talking about how we have a hole at MIKE.

that tells you how deep we really are.

Giantsfan1080
05-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah its hard to find any "holes" at the moment on this team. The depth is pretty ridiculous.

Its almost like we're trying to replace good players with great ones. I love Goff myself, and I'm talking about how we have a hole at MIKE.

that tells you how deep we really are.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Even Johnson has been more than average for us but he's considered our biggest hole at the moment.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Even Johnson has been more than average for us but he's considered our biggest hole at the moment.

now we just have to find a way to get AP off the field haha. he's actually our biggest weakness on defense, and its sad that our backups would instantly fix that problem.

ive really soured on AP. it pains me to say it bc i love the guy, but he's just not good anymore.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
You guys have literally no needs starting or depth. Just give your damn picks away to people who need them. LOL.

Like seriously... what positions are still needed?

Malaka
05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
now we just have to find a way to get AP off the field haha. he's actually our biggest weakness on defense, and its sad that our backups would instantly fix that problem.

ive really soured on AP. it pains me to say it bc i love the guy, but he's just not good anymore.

Yeah I used to love AP, but now he is out of shape, slow, and half his tackles come from 5 yards past the LoS. He sucks now, but I still love his smarts, and leadership on our defense. :(

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
You guys have literally no needs starting or depth. Just give your damn picks away to people who need them. LOL.

Like seriously... what positions are still needed?

we could use a 4th string safety.

and 3rd string center. :)

Malaka
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah I used to love AP, but now he is out of shape, slow, and half his tackles come from 5 yards past the LoS. He sucks now, but I still love his smarts, and leadership on our defense. :(

Lol, our 2nd string D-Line is probably better than maybe 1/3 of the leagues D-lines.

DE Kiwanuka
DT Rocky Bernard
DT Barry Cofield
DE David Tollefson/Clint Sintim

Giantsfan1080
05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I'd also look into a DE next year because Kiwi's contract will be up sooner than later as BBD said. Also Osi is getting "old" so it's never too early to get that next guy to step in when time comes.

D-Unit
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
we could use a 4th string safety.

and 3rd string center. :)
Yet the Cowboys have the same needs as the last 3 years... sigh. :/

Just wait... one of these days we WILL replace false start Flo and find a true 34 NT!!! The damn pro bowl is killin' us! Fooling Jerry and making him think these phonies are actually doing their job!

bigbluedefense
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Yet the Cowboys have the same needs as the last 3 years... sigh. :/

Just wait... one of these days we WILL replace false start Flo and find a true 34 NT!!! The damn pro bowl is killin' us! Fooling Jerry and making him think these phonies are actually doing their job!

*votes every cowboy into the pro bowl this year*

OSUGiants17
05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Greg Hardy
Eric Berry
Sergio Kindle
Brandon Spikes
Sean Witherspoon
Mark Herzlich
Taylor Mays
Trent Williams
C.J. Spiller(Between the way Jacobs plays, and the fact that I don't see Ware AND Brown as future NFL stars, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a RB in the draft early on.)
George Selvie

Malaka
05-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I like Rolando McClain as a potential MIKE for us.

Mr. Hero
05-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Sergio Kindle is going to be ridiculously over-rated from now until games start in the fall. He's Darryl Blackstock 2.0 a little bigger and a little faster but absolutely no instincts. He reacts slow enough to negate his own incredible speed.

bigbluedefense
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I hope everyone falls for the "Taylor Mays doesn't make enough plays" BS so that he falls all the way to the Giants.

Him + Kenny Phillips + our pass rush = fatalities all day.

BaLLiN
05-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I hope everyone falls for the "Taylor Mays doesn't make enough plays" BS so that he falls all the way to the Giants.

Him + Kenny Phillips + our pass rush = fatalities all day.

Lol, for some reason i just dont have much love for mays.. :/ i do think he's one nasty mofo though

Mr. Hero
05-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Mays would be sick, but he won't last that long, safeties who are as good as he is at shutting down big plays with his measureables don't last past the top half of the first round.

Kase1
05-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Id LOOOOOOVE to see Taylor Mays, our D is literally 1 player away from possibly being one of the best assembled..... If we get another Safety to play opposite KP we're gonna be NASTY as all hell

MJ is servicable, but I want another stud playing Centerfield with KP

A stub CB or Center would also be outstanding choices, cause other than those spots we reallly dont have any needs..... Yea a bomb KR/PR and K/P would be sick but its not a necessity

Mr. Hero
05-10-2009, 01:41 PM
We need Vince Oghobaase, DTs with his size, length, quickness, burst and character rarely fall out of the top 20, but this year is stacked at DT so we should get a shot at him. He'd play NT for us but still rack up upwards of 5 sacks a year.

bigbluedefense
05-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I know Mays is a pipe dream, as is Eric Berry, but one guy who could legitimately fall to us is Earl Thomas from Texas.

The guy is going to increase his stock this year.

What we really need is a stud linebacker. I know Boley could be that guy, but in this scheme, the stud you need in the LB core should be the MIKE position.

While Brandon Spikes has his stock in the top 15 range as of right now, I could see him slipping. I think he'd be perfect for us.

I'm curious to see what Chris Canty will do for us as well. Because a dominant DT could be in the works if we don't get what we want out of him and Bernard.

Remember, Coffield's contract is up at the end of this year, Alford has a 50/50 chance of staying on the team long term, and Fred Robbins is getting old, and Bernard is already old.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go out and get a guy who can anchor the middle.

BaLLiN
05-10-2009, 01:44 PM
We need Vince Oghobaase, DTs with his size, length, quickness, burst and character rarely fall out of the top 20, but this year is stacked at DT so we should get a shot at him. He'd play NT for us but still rack up upwards of 5 sacks a year.

yes, agree again, im not entirely sure he's a NT, but he's athletic yet he's 6-6 300+ lbs. he could gain weight and be a guy who consumes multiple blockers but he's too tall and doesnt play with enough leverage to be a NT. Seems like a good fit for our defense though.

OT and DT are really what i want out of the draft, keep building the lines.

Mr. Hero
05-10-2009, 01:49 PM
yes, agree again, im not entirely sure he's a NT, but he's athletic yet he's 6-6 300+ lbs. he could gain weight and be a guy who consumes multiple blockers but he's too tall and doesnt play with enough leverage to be a NT. Seems like a good fit for our defense though.

OT and DT are really what i want out of the draft, keep building the lines.

He's tall, but he shoots out really nice and low, plus with his 315 pounds of monster he has a lot of strength in his legs to drive guys out even when he isn't able to get superior leverage. I don't think he's a NT in a 3-4 but in our D he could definitely do what Fat Albert Haynesworth did in Tennessee, although he probably won't throw lineman around like dolls qith as much ease, but he could fill a similar role of a guy that just swallows up the run and is able to move his blockers around enough to push the pocket and open lanes up for our other pass rushers.

Then again take this with a grain of salt because I thought he was going to come out this past draft and was campaigning for us to draft him back in Novemmber, so I might be a little homerish on him because he's one of my favorite prospects and my fav. DT who's eligible next season, yes over guys like Suh and McCoy.

Big_Pete
05-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Guys I am looking at for 2010

1st round :WR Brandon LaFell or OT Cirion Black

2nd round ILB Sean Lee in the second

I know we have recievers, but Hixon and Moss are off contract after the season and LaFell is a potential #1 calibre WR

with Black, I know we have Beatty as the future LT, but Whimper will be gone and it could pay to develop an OT to eventually replace McKenzie. Black has the added advantage of possibly being able to fit in at LT as well.

Sean Lee could be a great fit at MLB as Pierce's eventual replacement

Mr. Hero
05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Black would be nice but I think RT is eventually going to be Diehl's spot, once Beatty takes over at LT, so I don't really see a need for another highly drafted OT next year. Now Whimper could walk leaving us with a need for a backup swing tackle but that's a need you address on day two, with guys like Cadogan who could fill that role falling all of the way out of the draft this year.

And another big WR? Nicks and Barden are two bigger WRs, and smith is a marvelous slot guy if we go after another WR I suspect it'll be a quicker guy who's more of a speed demon/deep threat. And if Manningham steps up, which I don't expect since I've been down on that tard since he was a prospct, or Hixon does well enough to warrant an extension I don't think we'll need even him.

I'm looking for a safety, DE, DT or Brandon Spikes out of the first round this year. If we can't get Spikes I don't see any other MLBs in this draft who'd be legitamite upgrades over Goff or even Kehl. Now I do love Herzlich, but he's a sam and we just drafted sintim to play sam. While I'd love to get Spikes, Berry or Mays I'm focusing in on the DL where there will be stud DTs or maybe even a DE like Hardy if he's still there.

BaLLiN
05-24-2009, 04:16 PM
you know we have so much talent from these few good draft years, EA last few years and Jerry Reese's have made me believe in the draft even more. I would like to move some players for picks, now I really dont think our staff wants an upgrade at safety, they like Michael Johnson and KP. So i doubt we go safety early although i would thoroughly enjoy it.

QB is not an option, we got two young QBs with great physical ability and David Carr could be trade bait.

RB might be an option, but i feel that AB will pan out and if Danny Ware doesnt Andre Brown looks like a future starter in the making.

WR is a possibility but i think theyd rather try to develop what they have unless they get a proven vet.

TE seems pretty good.

OL is where i want to go with this next draft offensively

bigbluedefense
05-26-2009, 10:53 AM
As of right now, offensive line depth, and MIKE are our highest priorities.

so much can change from now till then though. around this time last year we swore we had killer WR depth, and that obviously wasn't true.

I think DT is going to eventually become high priority. I don't expect Coffield, Robbins, and possibly even Alford to be on the roster in 2011. This DT class is ridiculous too.

We need that Broderick Bunkley type of NT on our team. Its the missing link on our dline.

BaLLiN
05-27-2009, 08:57 PM
DT has been a need for as long as I can remember, god damn William Joseph

Mr. Hero
05-27-2009, 09:07 PM
As of right now, offensive line depth, and MIKE are our highest priorities.

so much can change from now till then though. around this time last year we swore we had killer WR depth, and that obviously wasn't true.

I think DT is going to eventually become high priority. I don't expect Coffield, Robbins, and possibly even Alford to be on the roster in 2011. This DT class is ridiculous too.

We need that Broderick Bunkley type of NT on our team. Its the missing link on our dline.

BBD you need to join me on the Vince Oghobaase bandwagon. He's got great size and length to go with exceptional strength and leverage and a great burst. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him become an elite NT in this league as he'll be able to throw people around and rush the passer.

bigbluedefense
05-28-2009, 06:01 AM
BBD you need to join me on the Vince Oghobaase bandwagon. He's got great size and length to go with exceptional strength and leverage and a great burst. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him become an elite NT in this league as he'll be able to throw people around and rush the passer.

He has the prototypical size we look for in our scheme. We don't like big guys, we like those 300/310 lb guys inside. Bunkley isn't 320, but is strong as an ox for a 310 guy.

I haven't scouted Oghobaase yet, so I can't comment on him, but I'll try to pay attention to him this upcoming year. His combine is going to be important for me. He needs to be real strong for his size, and have a good shuttle time.

6 6" is a little tall. Bunkley is a 6 2" guy at 310, so he's more squat and plays with better leverage in all likelihood. So thats another thing I'll try to pay attention to. His burst off the snap and his leverage.

Big_Pete
05-28-2009, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't mind S Myron Rolle in the 2nd or 3rd round either once he returns from his 1 year sabbatical at oxford

Myron Rolle and Kenny Phillips would be a very good tandem

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 07:28 AM
As an Eagles fan, I hope the Giants would go that route. But the Giants are too smart of an organization to do that, Rolle wasn't a second or third round prospect this year, and he will be a 4th or 5th rounder at the very best next year. There are much better S prospects available next year for the Giants.

scottyboy
05-28-2009, 09:03 AM
As an Eagles fan, I hope the Giants would go that route. But the Giants are too smart of an organization to do that, Rolle wasn't a second or third round prospect this year, and he will be a 4th or 5th rounder at the very best next year. There are much better S prospects available next year for the Giants.

I'd love to nab him in the 3rd though. He's a typical Giants player, hard working and obviously crazy smart. I'd LOVE to see a future KP-Rolle tandem, I really would. Mays and Berry are pipe dreams.

actually, I'd love to sell our whole draft for the #1 overal pick and nab Anthony Davis if he enters...but still :D

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I'd love to nab him in the 3rd though. He's a typical Giants player, hard working and obviously crazy smart. I'd LOVE to see a future KP-Rolle tandem, I really would. Mays and Berry are pipe dreams.

actually, I'd love to sell our whole draft for the #1 overal pick and nab Anthony Davis if he enters...but still :D

I still think giving up a third on him is waay too much, considering he would've gone there, roughly, this year, and with a year away from football that will only decreas his draft stock, most likely exponentially. I expect someone to take him in the 6th or 7th next year, but they won't invest such a high pick in a guy who has been away from the game for so long.

As for Anthony Davis, I don't think there is a possibility that even you, scotty, could overhype him. I really like Davis, and if he declares, he has a realistic shot at being the #1 LT next year and if that is the case a top 5 pick. He is huge, but incredibly quick and athletic. He is strong as an ox and quick like a gazell, haha. I really really like him and think he has the potential to be an elite prospect, especially if he continues to fine-tune his technique and leverage and stays his senior year. What are the chances he declares?

bigbluedefense
05-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Im not a big Rolle fan to be honest. He wasn't very good last year. He's smart. Cool. So was James Butler. How did that work out?

I like the safety from Texas, I'm forgetting his name. Berry and Mays are obviously goners, but the kid from Texas is pretty good, and has 2nd round grade written on him.

While we have Beatty, and potentially Whimper (if we extend him) for the long term, I rather still go after an OT if the right one is on the board.

I look at it this way: Theres no way we'll know what Beatty is this year. He's just way too raw, and will need at least a year before we find out what kind of player we have in him, so he's still a wildcard. Whimper is a solid swing tackle who can sub in, but he's in a contract year and probably a goner.

So that leaves us with depth concerns, and potentially a weak line if McKenzie gets hurt/retires/gets cut, and Beatty doesn't pan out. So OT isn't out of the question, and having great depth is always a good thing.

Center is another position where I wouldn't mind a high investment. I would really like to see us improve both OT positions on our team in the future. Diehl is a PB caliber guard, Id rather move him back to LG than to RT. Both him and McKenzie are very average pass protectors on the edges, and we could really use an upgrade on both sides.

I'm hoping for the long term future, Beatty pans out as a very good LT, and we can nab a future RT who can give us that roadgrader style but also some decent pass pro. We need better pass pro.

Its ultimately what cost us last year. Our pass pro got exposed when we lost Burress. They couldn't pick up the blitz at all. A franchise OT would have actually done more benefit to this offense than a WR like Nicks would. If we had a Michael Oher instead of a Hakeem Nicks, I think our offense would be better.

But I'm still very pleased with the route we went.

scottyboy
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I still think giving up a third on him is waay too much, considering he would've gone there, roughly, this year, and with a year away from football that will only decreas his draft stock, most likely exponentially. I expect someone to take him in the 6th or 7th next year, but they won't invest such a high pick in a guy who has been away from the game for so long.

As for Anthony Davis, I don't think there is a possibility that even you, scotty, could overhype him. I really like Davis, and if he declares, he has a realistic shot at being the #1 LT next year and if that is the case a top 5 pick. He is huge, but incredibly quick and athletic. He is strong as an ox and quick like a gazell, haha. I really really like him and think he has the potential to be an elite prospect, especially if he continues to fine-tune his technique and leverage and stays his senior year. What are the chances he declares?

I have no idea if he declares or not. we gotta see how the season goes.

BaLLiN
05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Whimper really wasnt that bad at LT, he just does nothing in the run blocking. I wouldnt mind us moving diehl inside and testing Whimper on the outside for preseason, Seubert is good but nothing great.

I like Anthony Davis but investing a high pick on a LT when we have guys who cant play RT seems like wasting money.

Whimper/Beatty-Diehl-O'Hara-Snee-Ciron Black

scottyboy
05-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Whimper really wasnt that bad at LT, he just does nothing in the run blocking. I wouldnt mind us moving diehl inside and testing Whimper on the outside for preseason, Seubert is good but nothing great.

I like Anthony Davis but investing a high pick on a LT when we have guys who cant play RT seems like wasting money.

Whimper/Beatty-Diehl-O'Hara-Snee-Ciron Black

eh. I wanna see how we see Beatty. He seems like a LT, but needs development. Anthony Davis could EASILY play RT if need be.

Beatty-Diehl-O'Hara-Snee-Davis is a ridiculous line and young outside of O'Hara.

we need a backup center, a young guy that Shaun can tutor.

BaLLiN
05-28-2009, 04:31 PM
eh. I wanna see how we see Beatty. He seems like a LT, but needs development. Anthony Davis could EASILY play RT if need be.

Beatty-Diehl-O'Hara-Snee-Davis is a ridiculous line and young outside of O'Hara.

yeah but if we had to give up lets say two first round picks for him, its pushing it.

Ciron Black should be close to our pick, probably lower. And i do like Beatty, but his upperbody technique is godawful.

We do need a center to groom and fast.

right now id probably draft like this:

1. DT
2. (trade up to nab best RT probably suffer a 4th)
3. S/C (wouldnt mind Rolle here either, he's a pretty good match for our defense, dont like his speed much though)
5. C/S whichever we didnt draft
6. P/FB
7. doesnt matter

MLB i feel if Goff doesnt step up, Blackburn is adequate.
WR hopefully someone shows up
CB possibly but i hope Dockery stays, pray rather.

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 10:38 PM

With Davis's size and style of play, he can realisticaly play any OL position, but it'd be best to take advantage of him on either Tackle position. He'd make a helluva RT, but he will be just as good at LT, and that is where the biggest impact is along the OL.

Agreed about Davis scotty. If that;d somehow happen I'd be one pissed off Eagles fan, because I like that set of Tackles.

eaglesalltheway
05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
yeah but if we had to give up lets say two first round picks for him, its pushing it.

Ciron Black should be close to our pick, probably lower. And i do like Beatty, but his upperbody technique is godawful.

We do need a center to groom and fast.

right now id probably draft like this:

1. DT
2. (trade up to nab best RT probably suffer a 4th)
3. S/C (wouldnt mind Rolle here either, he's a pretty good match for our defense, dont like his speed much though)
5. C/S whichever we didnt draft
6. P/FB
7. doesnt matter

MLB i feel if Goff doesnt step up, Blackburn is adequate.
WR hopefully someone shows up
CB possibly but i hope Dockery stays, pray rather.

I like Ciron Black, he can play either Tackle as well, but would probably play RT since Beatty is best suited for LT. You guys shouldn't get him, he is another guy that would piss me off, lol.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Theres this big strong DT from Ole Miss. I forgot his name. But when I was scouting Greg Hardy and Peria Jerry, he stood out to me. He's a big strong guy, who doesn't really penetrate, but is great at occupying guys and pushing the pocket with his girth and strength.

I need to scout him more. He's a little fat though, so we probably wouldn't be interested. We typically don't like big DTs.

Big_Pete
05-29-2009, 06:18 AM
When looking at the draft, we really need to consider the likely needs.

Key factors will be the likely roster changes.

I think Pierce is gone plus Carr, Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery and CC Brown are all coming off contract (and could get better money elsewhere); Hixon and Cofield in particular could be in line for big pay days elsewhere.

The most obvious need is likely to be DT with both Cofield and Robbins off contract. Robbins won't be back and we haven't extended Cofield yet (and to be honest, I am not sure it will happen). If Cofield hits the open market, he will get good money to play for another team.

Hixon is probably in the same boat, if he hits FA, he will get good money to play elsewhere. Moss very likely will not be back (barring a huge breakout season). WR isn't likely to be an uregent need, but could surprise if a good talent is available.

Pierce is going to be a 2 down LB, he has been good for us, but I can't help thinking this is his last season in a Giants' uniform. Clark and Wilkinson are not likely to be back.

Carr will probably get a shot to be a starter with another team

I have to be honest, at this early stage, I think all these players will not be back next year.

I think it is reasonable to assume that MLB, DT, OL, CB, S and WR are the positions we are most likely to be looking at next year.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2009, 09:47 AM
When looking at the draft, we really need to consider the likely needs.

Key factors will be the likely roster changes.

I think Pierce is gone plus Carr, Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery and CC Brown are all coming off contract (and could get better money elsewhere); Hixon and Cofield in particular could be in line for big pay days elsewhere.

The most obvious need is likely to be DT with both Cofield and Robbins off contract. Robbins won't be back and we haven't extended Cofield yet (and to be honest, I am not sure it will happen). If Cofield hits the open market, he will get good money to play for another team.

Hixon is probably in the same boat, if he hits FA, he will get good money to play elsewhere. Moss very likely will not be back (barring a huge breakout season). WR isn't likely to be an uregent need, but could surprise if a good talent is available.

Pierce is going to be a 2 down LB, he has been good for us, but I can't help thinking this is his last season in a Giants' uniform. Clark and Wilkinson are not likely to be back.

Carr will probably get a shot to be a starter with another team

I have to be honest, at this early stage, I think all these players will not be back next year.

I think it is reasonable to assume that MLB, DT, OL, CB, S and WR are the positions we are most likely to be looking at next year.

thats all very true. now the order of those needs will depend on who steps up/or doesn't within the roster this year.

our depth will take a serious hit after this year. we're going to have to have a solid draft to replenish our depth.

BaLLiN
05-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Hixon, Whimper, Cofield, CC Brown and Dockery are possible to come back. I'm sure if he does well in our system for one year he wont leave because i dont think many other teams would put him as a #1, provide a pro bowl caliber QB, and a consistent top 10 defense.

Whimper is believed to leave since Beatty was drafted, but he could beat Beatty out and allow Diehl to move inside, (our run offense would lose spark without a doubt though).

Cofield seems like a guy that would stay, he has a good personality and i just feel like he would.

Dockery probably will leave, but you never know, he has been with us since we signed him as a RFA and despite being tagged as a dimeback now he has seen starts in recent years.

CC Brown needs to prove he can still play with us, he wants to play, and if he cant beat out Michael Johnson with the experience he has maybe its not worth keeping him?

bigbluedefense
05-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Hixon, Whimper, Cofield, CC Brown and Dockery are possible to come back. I'm sure if he does well in our system for one year he wont leave because i dont think many other teams would put him as a #1, provide a pro bowl caliber QB, and a consistent top 10 defense.

Whimper is believed to leave since Beatty was drafted, but he could beat Beatty out and allow Diehl to move inside, (our run offense would lose spark without a doubt though).

Cofield seems like a guy that would stay, he has a good personality and i just feel like he would.

Dockery probably will leave, but you never know, he has been with us since we signed him as a RFA and despite being tagged as a dimeback now he has seen starts in recent years.

CC Brown needs to prove he can still play with us, he wants to play, and if he cant beat out Michael Johnson with the experience he has maybe its not worth keeping him?

I don't see Coffield coming back. He's an average at best NT, he does nothing special at all. He doesn't take on 2 guys, he doesn't push the pocket, he's just there. There and solid. But very replaceable.

Whimper, Id like him to come back, but he'd come back with backup money. And I think he can get more elsewhere. I think that ultimately makes him leave, unless he tears it up and wins a starting job this year. But I don't see that happening.

CC Brown is a 1 year depth rental. Thats all he is. Our starters are locked in. He'll be gone or either sign for minimal money. Either way I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as of right now.

Dockery is probably gone. He's our dime guy, and can get nickel money elsewhere. We won't sign him back unless its for cheap. He'll leave for money.

As of right now, I honestly don't expect any of them to be back with our team in 2011. Thats a lot of missing pieces and loss of quality depth.

So our deep team will lose a lot of its depth after this year. We're going to need a strong draft class.

Also bear in mind, we might have to rework the contracts of Michael Johnson and Ahmad Bradshaw after this year. If Johnson starts, and Bradshaw tears it up, both will want renegotiated contracts. They make 7th round money each. You know they're not happy with that.

And I rather keep them and make them happy then overpay some of the other guys like Coffield or CC Brown.

Big_Pete
05-30-2009, 03:47 AM

I don't have your confidence. Hixon and Cofield will probably be worth at least contracts of $5mil+ per year. I don't think the front office will justify that considering the amount of talent at both positions. If either is going to stick, they should be extened now.

Dockery will continue the trend of 2nd round tender in our secondary and then leaving in FA. He is the #4 CB, he isn't going to be a priority. I think we draft more depth instead/

bigbluedefense
08-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Thoughts on Mike McLaughin?

He seems like a similar player to Jonathan Goff.

Big_Pete
08-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Thoughts on Mike McLaughin?

He seems like a similar player to Jonathan Goff.

He does seem like Goff; there is alot to like about him

I think he would be a very interesting option in the mid rounds

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Well, now that the college football season is underway and Scott has put up new material for this year, I guess we can get this puppy rolling again.

In his first mock (which will obviously change dramatically come draft day), he has us pass on Brandon Spikes.

As much as I love Goff, if Brandon Spikes were to fall to us on draft day, at this moment in time, Id think we'd be foolish to pass on him. We need better MIKE play.

Jermaine Gresham is another guy Im interested in. He's a stud TE. If he has injury concerns this season, who knows.

Im also interested in DTs this year. Particularly a guy like Allen Bailey in round 2.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Did you guys check out Allen Bailey yesterday? BEAST!

He's a guy Ive been interested in, and after watching him yesterday, he's my #1 guy at the moment (this will obviously change). The guy is sooo strong, he demands a double on every play, he got a sack, he can penetrate even with a double team, and he's so lean at 290 lbs, it looks like he can easily pack on 20 more lbs to that frame.

And he's sooo fast. The guy is a freak of nature. Imagine him with Wauffle teaching him technique? Forget about it.

With Coffield and Robbins both possibly being gone after this year, Bernard getting older, and Alford coming off an ACL injury, I think DT is going to be one of our needs, and this guy would surely fit the bill.

Turtlepower
09-08-2009, 02:03 PM
If we were going DT, I would love me some Jeff Owens. Probably could pick him up in the second and could prove to be one of the best DTs in this class. This DT class is just so insane, I want in on one of them.

Rosebud
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
My favorite late first and on DT is Duke's Vince Oghobaase. He's a good kid and at 6'5" 310 he has great strength, length and explosiveness to be a powerful penetrator on the inside.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Gresham is out for the year. If he enters the draft, I can see him as a 2nd round prospect or even later.

Id love to take a gamble on him. The guy is a beast. And we could upgrade the TE position, and wouldn't even have to spend a 1st on it. Im speculating that he won't be a 1st rounder, but Id be surprised if he does rise up back to round 1 status.

3 guys I was targeting with our 1st were Spikes, Bailey, and Gresham. Now Gresham may become a round 2 possibility, maybe even later. Should be interesting to see.

Sucks for him though. The guy was easily the best TE prospect of the past 2 years.

Malaka
09-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Gresham is out for the year. If he enters the draft, I can see him as a 2nd round prospect or even later.

Id love to take a gamble on him. The guy is a beast. And we could upgrade the TE position, and wouldn't even have to spend a 1st on it. Im speculating that he won't be a 1st rounder, but Id be surprised if he does rise up back to round 1 status.

3 guys I was targeting with our 1st were Spikes, Bailey, and Gresham. Now Gresham may become a round 2 possibility, maybe even later. Should be interesting to see.

Sucks for him though. The guy was easily the best TE prospect of the past 2 years.

I still think he goes late first and be ecstatic to get him there. He would add another dimension to our offense. Although I love Boss, he is slow and doesn't offer much as blocker. Whereas, Gresham is a decent blocker but is an all out amazing receiver. I'd easily take Gresham with our first round pick especially if he runs well at he combine.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I think Boss is a good blocker. I was impressed with how well he blocked last year.

But yeah, Gresham is just a flat out better player. I just don't see him staying in the 1st round. He's gotta be a 2nd to 3rd round guy now. I guess it depends on his recovery, but Im not expecting 1st round.

Im starting to think we have no chance of landing my boy Allen Bailey this year, unless we draft early. And let's hope that doesn't happen...

Malaka
09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I think Boss is a good blocker. I was impressed with how well he blocked last year.

But yeah, Gresham is just a flat out better player. I just don't see him staying in the 1st round. He's gotta be a 2nd to 3rd round guy now. I guess it depends on his recovery, but Im not expecting 1st round.

Im starting to think we have no chance of landing my boy Allen Bailey this year, unless we draft early. And let's hope that doesn't happen...

I honestly don't think Bailey will come out, I honestly have no reason to believe this other than just a hunch that he will stay but whatever. When Bailey does come out I think he will be a top 15 pick, and I highly doubt we get him, he is a freak of nature with that size and speed.

Another person I could see us drafting is Reshad Jones out of Georgia especially if Michael Johnson has a down year. I believe MJ is good, but just like Boss he has his deficiencies and we can do better. Jones is pretty similar to KP IMO, as they can both play FS or SS. I really like him, if we can have him and KP at safety I will be a very happy man. It is a very strong safety class with the likes of Taylor Mays, Eric Berry, Jones, and Major Wright all possibly coming out, I think its a good chance Jones is there when we are picking.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Thats a good call. Im also not the biggest Michael Johnson fan, particularly bc of his run defense. I think he's very solid in pass D, but he's just awful in run D.

If we can compliment Kenny with a Chris Horton like SS, I think that would be best for our defense. And you're right, with Mays and Berry coming out, a very solid safety will fall in this draft in round 2.

We don't need another Kenny Phillips, but an upgrade at safety wouldn't be a bad idea. Theres a guy from Texas that I have my eye on, I'm forgetting his name though.

This has nothing to do with us since we probably won't draft a DE, but #91 on Georgia Tech caught my eye. I like his motor, strength, and versatility. Reminds me of a poor man's Tuck.

LonghornsLegend
09-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Thats a good call. Im also not the biggest Michael Johnson fan, particularly bc of his run defense. I think he's very solid in pass D, but he's just awful in run D.

If we can compliment Kenny with a Chris Horton like SS, I think that would be best for our defense. And you're right, with Mays and Berry coming out, a very solid safety will fall in this draft in round 2.

We don't need another Kenny Phillips, but an upgrade at safety wouldn't be a bad idea. Theres a guy from Texas that I have my eye on, I'm forgetting his name though.

This has nothing to do with us since we probably won't draft a DE, but #91 on Georgia Tech caught my eye. I like his motor, strength, and versatility. Reminds me of a poor man's Tuck.

Haha it's funny you mentioned him bbd, I was already thinking about him after reading the top part of your post and was going to throw his name out there anyway. Earl Bennett #12, he's been a mid-late 1st rounders in some mocks but I honestly think if he comes out he'll be in that late 1st, early 2nd, draft range.

You'll have to look out for him when Texas is on TV, he'll remind you alot of Michael Griffin, he covers alot of ground very quickly, has a good awareness of the field, makes plays vs the run and pass. He's not an exceptional athlete like those at the top of the class, but I think he has a chance to be the 3rd best safety in the class slightly above Reshad Jones from Georgia.

Some of those guys may not even declare, but it's possible that 5 Safeties have a first round grade next year if Major Wright declares also.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Haha it's funny you mentioned him bbd, I was already thinking about him after reading the top part of your post and was going to throw his name out there anyway. Earl Bennett #12, he's been a mid-late 1st rounders in some mocks but I honestly think if he comes out he'll be in that late 1st, early 2nd, draft range.

You'll have to look out for him when Texas is on TV, he'll remind you alot of Michael Griffin, he covers alot of ground very quickly, has a good awareness of the field, makes plays vs the run and pass. He's not an exceptional athlete like those at the top of the class, but I think he has a chance to be the 3rd best safety in the class slightly above Reshad Jones from Georgia.

Some of those guys may not even declare, but it's possible that 5 Safeties have a first round grade next year if Major Wright declares also.

Yeah, thats him. He's looked pretty damn good to me the few times Ive seen Texas. What's his # again? I want to scout the guy.

Malaka
09-12-2009, 10:48 AM

The DE from GT is Derrick Morgan 6'4 278 pounds, I can honestly say I like him better than Everson Griffon both are juniors, if both come out this year or the next I'd take Morgan over Griffon. One thing about Morgan is he is a complete non-stop motor he gives it his all on every play, he is an excellent all around DE, and I against Clemson I saw him draw double and even some triple teams all game long. Whoever picks up this kid is getting a 12+ sack guy whose great against the run.

I also have a guy who not many people know about. It's Murray State's DE Austen Lane he is right now a late rounder, but he is 6'7 265 pounds and runs a 4.6, he led Murray State with 12 sacks an 22 TFLs last year, I think he is a great sleeper pick, I believe he even had an INT or two last year as well. If he has another great season I can see him being as high as a 2nd round pick.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics11/400/GQ/GQPEHEJEWXWVNSX.20090506220020.jpg

bigbluedefense
09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
The DE from GT is Derrick Morgan 6'4 278 pounds, I can honestly say I like him better than Everson Griffon both are juniors, if both come out this year or the next I'd take Morgan over Griffon. One thing about Morgan is he is a complete non-stop motor he gives it his all on every play, he is an excellent all around DE, and I against Clemson I saw him draw double and even some triple teams all game long. Whoever picks up this kid is getting a 12+ sack guy whose great against the run.

I also have a guy who not many people know about. It's Murray State's DE Austen Lane he is right now a late rounder, but he is 6'7 265 pounds and runs a 4.6, he led Murray State with 12 sacks an 22 TFLs last year, I think he is a great sleeper pick, I believe he even had an INT or two last year as well. If he has another great season I can see him being as high as a 2nd round pick.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics11/400/GQ/GQPEHEJEWXWVNSX.20090506220020.jpg

Before the season started, Greg Hardy was my #1 DE, but after watching week 1, I wasn't all that impressed with him. He has motor issues, and overshoots his lane too much.

I need to see more from Hardy. A guy who might interest us from Ole Miss is a DT on their team. I don't know his name or #, but he's a big guy, more of a 2 gap run thumper. Kind of reminds me of Ron Brace.

Even last year when I was scouting Peria Jerry, this guy stuck out to me more than Jerry did. I just don't remember who he was.

Malaka
09-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Before the season started, Greg Hardy was my #1 DE, but after watching week 1, I wasn't all that impressed with him. He has motor issues, and overshoots his lane too much.

I need to see more from Hardy. A guy who might interest us from Ole Miss is a DT on their team. I don't know his name or #, but he's a big guy, more of a 2 gap run thumper. Kind of reminds me of Ron Brace.

Even last year when I was scouting Peria Jerry, this guy stuck out to me more than Jerry did. I just don't remember who he was.

I like Hardy a lot but I didn't see much of the Ole Miss game the parts I did happen to see, I didn't see Hardy on the field at all. There are three pretty good runs topping DTs at Ole Miss and I think you are talking about #57 Jerrell Powell he's 6'1 330 pounds. I honestly like #96 Scott Lawon better, he's a similar player Jeria Perry last year.

Number 10
09-28-2009, 09:16 PM
A guy I know the Giants have/will have interest in:

-LB Rolando McClain - Alabama (Junior)

Freakishly long arms, which Reese and Ross love in prospects. Maintains separation from blockers and is able to engage and shed while getting his numbers in front of the ball carrier. Physical player that can really send a jolt to the ball carrier's helmet. Has the lateral range to shut down tackle to tackle running game. Has the long strides to cover a lot of ground in coverage, also uses his length to get up and tip passes. Balanced in the box, rarely fooled by counters.

Rosebud
09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
A guy I know the Giants have/will have interest in:

-LB Rolando McClain - Alabama (Junior)

Freakishly long arms, which Reese and Ross love in prospects. Maintains separation from blockers and is able to engage and shed while getting his numbers in front of the ball carrier. Physical player that can really send a jolt to the ball carrier's helmet. Has the lateral range to shut down tackle to tackle running game. Has the long strides to cover a lot of ground in coverage, also uses his length to get up and tip passes. Balanced in the box, rarely fooled by counters.

McCain's a really good MLB who might even push Spikes for the top MLB spot, but he's a first rounder and I think we're going to be looking for a SS or DL in the first. I'm hoping Reshad Jones is available, because he would be a great compliment to Kenny P as he's also a versatile safety who can cover while also coming up and being a force in the box.

Big_Pete
09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
My pick for the Giants next year is DT Arthur Jones from Syracuse

He is very strong and very disruptive and is under the radar on an ordinary team.

He would be the ideal kind of guy to develop for the future at DT.

Once the juniors start declaring I expect him to slip.

Giantsfan1080
09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
I like McClain a lot. As #10 said he's exactly the type of player that would fit in well with us. It's still way too early to see which way we might go though.

Big_Pete
09-29-2009, 06:07 AM
I like McClain a lot. As #10 said he's exactly the type of player that would fit in well with us. It's still way too early to see which way we might go though.

There is alot to like about McClain certainly

One thing we will know, we will have plenty of very good options

next years draft is very deep at all our likely need positions

bigbluedefense
09-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I think we have to wait and see what the verdict is on Kenny Phillips. If his career is over, I think we have to invest in a Safety before we invest in a MIKE.

Sucks too, bc elite safeties are so hard to find outside the top 15 picks. We stole Kenny at 32 that year.

Big_Pete
09-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Sucks too, bc elite safeties are so hard to find outside the top 15 picks. We stole Kenny at 32 that year.

I don't agree

Berry and Mays will be long gone, but any of the others are likely to be options. Look at the possible top guys next year

Nate Allen, South Florida, 6-1, 206, 4.50
Darrell Stuckey, Kansas, 5-11, 205, 4.50
Harry Coleman, LSU, 6-2, 206, 4.53

and the top underclassmen

Reshad Jones, Georgia, 6-2, 212
Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech, 6-1, 210
Chad Jones, LSU, 6-3, 230
Deunta Williams, North Carolina, 6-2, 205
Major Wright, Florida, 6-0, 204

there should be plenty of options at safety, it will come back to value

Another option is to consider moving Terrell Thomas to FS where I think he is better suited.

Rosebud
10-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Another option is to consider moving Terrell Thomas to FS where I think he is better suited.

I disagree with that immensely, Thomas is a better cover safety than Ross so if anyone would be a better fit with a move to FS it'd be Ross, that said we already have a solid FS in Michael Johnson, problem is that we don't have even a decent SS since Kenny if healthy is so much more impactful at FS.

bigbluedefense
10-01-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't agree

Berry and Mays will be long gone, but any of the others are likely to be options. Look at the possible top guys next year

Nate Allen, South Florida, 6-1, 206, 4.50
Darrell Stuckey, Kansas, 5-11, 205, 4.50
Harry Coleman, LSU, 6-2, 206, 4.53

and the top underclassmen

Reshad Jones, Georgia, 6-2, 212
Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech, 6-1, 210
Chad Jones, LSU, 6-3, 230
Deunta Williams, North Carolina, 6-2, 205
Major Wright, Florida, 6-0, 204

there should be plenty of options at safety, it will come back to value

TT is developing into what could be another shutdown CB for us. Theres no way we move him to FS. If you look at his growth in just the past 3 weeks, its been unbelievable.

He's always been a great cover CB, but now he's starting to work on his tackling too. I think he should keep the starting job over Ross and have Ross as our nickel CB.

TT is so good, not only has he been shutting down his WR, but we put him on TEs flanked out wide very often and he's shut that down too. The guy's size gives us great versatility.

Im excited about TT. Its a luxury having 1 shutdown CB. TT might develop into another one, giving us 2 of them.

If he can become that, watch out. I have a good feeling on him.

scottyboy
10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Webster-TT-Ross? NASTY

Ross has been very good for us too, let's not forget. Many teams would kill to have him on their team. We've got quite the nice, YOUNG, CB group. Throw in KP next year....mmmmm

bigbluedefense
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Webster-TT-Ross? NASTY

Ross has been very good for us too, let's not forget. Many teams would kill to have him on their team. We've got quite the nice, YOUNG, CB group. Throw in KP next year....mmmmm

Ross has been very good, but he took a step back last year. I like Ross, but I don't ever see him being capable of being a true shutdown #1 type of CB. I thought he had the potential coming out, but now I don't think he'll ever get to that level.

I think TT actually has that kind of potential. He's just a bigger faster, version of Ross really. What holds Ross back is his stiff hips.

bigbluedefense
10-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Im checking out what I can on this McClain guy. I like him.

Only questions I have of him so far is his frame, he's a little lanky, and he seems like he's not that quick on his blitzes, although he does a good job of finding seems and getting at the qb.

I love his arms, I love his anticipation and his coverage. He seems like he can get dirty in the phonebooth.

But I need to know his official height/weight/40 time before I put him ahead of Spikes.

At the moment, I like Spikes a little more.

I will admit, I haven't seen much of him. I need to see more.

Big_Pete
10-02-2009, 07:10 AM
I think Spikes will end up in the top of the second round (much like Laurenaitis and Melualuga)

Weatherspoon could probably also play MLB in our system

One guy I am keeping an eye on for next year's draft is S Nate Allen, South Florida
I think he would be a really good fit for the Giants system and would also be great value in that 2nd round area.

LetsGoGiants!
10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't mind if we got Spikes or Mcclain.

Big_Pete
10-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Just a thought

if Gresham falls to the Giants in the first round, should Reese consider him?

Rosebud
10-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Just a thought

if Gresham falls to the Giants in the first round, should Reese consider him?

Definitely, that said I'd rather we grab a Safety like Reshad Jones and how Beckum progresses is also a major consideration.

bigbluedefense
10-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, Beckum's progress will be a key. I love Gresham, so I wouldn't mind him at all. It really depends on our needs entering the draft, and who's on the board.

Id love a Safety, run stuffing DT, or MIKE as well. But Gresham is hard to pass on.

Just watching Antonio Gates destroy Pittsburgh's D makes it even more tempting. Gresham is a beast, he reminds me of Gates.

Giantsfan1080
10-05-2009, 12:51 PM
McClain had a huge game on Saturday. Huge. He may not even be available when we pick.

bigbluedefense
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Im really starting to like McClain.

Im curious to see more of Eric Norwood. He intrigues me.

LetsGoGiants!
10-05-2009, 03:15 PM
How long is Gresham's surgery keeping him out?

LetsGoGiants!
10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok guys, I was wondering who you think the top three players the Giants have a legit shot at getting this season? Anyone want to share their thoughts?

bigbluedefense
10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
its impossible to say right now. the board will be completely different from now till draft day.

Right now im just scouting whatever individual players i can and forming opinions on em. i don't watch college football very much which is why my opinions of guys isn't exactly as accurate as it is with NFL players.

i feel like if i watched more college ball, id be pretty good at evaluating these guys. i just don't catch many games bc of my schedule.

Cicero
10-09-2009, 06:52 PM
One of the teams I have in the forum mock I'm doing is the Giants. I delt Manningham to the Rams for a 2nd (33) and a 4th (97). The Giants were projected to win the Superbowl so with picks 32 and 33 I took Arthur Jones and Arrelious Benn. I know S and MLB are more of a need than WR, but Benn was the highest rated prospect on my board by quite a few spots and I didn't have a S or ILB that I thought was worth it there (no McClain or Jones).

All of these guys won't make it to the end of round 2, but where would you rank them for the Giants?

Earl Thomas
Darrel Stuckey
Nate Allen
Morgan Burnett
Deunta Williams
Sean Lee
Daryl Washington
Quan Sturdivant
Chad Jones

Or anyone else to look out for?

scottyboy
10-10-2009, 07:16 PM
i was at the Rutgers game today (obv) and got field level and there was a guy in a giants fleece and hat with papers everywhere observing George Johnson during warmups and writing a lot down. One can only assume he's a scout, checking out George Johnson, who had 2 sacks btw.

Giantsfan1080
10-10-2009, 10:19 PM
i was at the Rutgers game today (obv) and got field level and there was a guy in a giants fleece and hat with papers everywhere observing George Johnson during warmups and writing a lot down. One can only assume he's a scout, checking out George Johnson, who had 2 sacks btw.

I was there also. I didn't see that guy though.

scottyboy
10-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I was there also. I didn't see that guy though.

where were you? you shoulda hit me up before hand!
and well it was well early on, like 40 minutes before the game started I think and he was literally 10 feet in front of me. He kept watching Johnson quite intently.

Giantsfan1080
10-10-2009, 11:26 PM
where were you? you shoulda hit me up before hand!
and well it was well early on, like 40 minutes before the game started I think and he was literally 10 feet in front of me. He kept watching Johnson quite intently.

I didn't get in untill halftime. I then left before the 4th quarter started. Last, I have no idea how to hit you up haha.

Rosebud
10-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I didn't get in untill halftime. I then left before the 4th quarter started. Last, I have no idea how to hit you up haha.

I like to use carrier pigeons.

bigbluedefense
10-11-2009, 07:03 PM
With the way Jonathan Goff is laying wood, and after seeing his PS, I think right now Im gonna put DT as our biggest need.

We need a run stuffer inside. I know we signed Canty and Bernard, but remember, Alford is coming off an ACL, and both Robbins and Coffield both could be gone after this year.

I know some of that depends on the CBA, but its still a possibility that we could lose both, and quite honestly, I wouldn't mind if we lost Coffield. He's a very average NT.

I wouldn't mind some FA DTs either.

Rosebud
10-11-2009, 07:50 PM
With the way Jonathan Goff is laying wood, and after seeing his PS, I think right now Im gonna put DT as our biggest need.

We need a run stuffer inside. I know we signed Canty and Bernard, but remember, Alford is coming off an ACL, and both Robbins and Coffield both could be gone after this year.

I know some of that depends on the CBA, but its still a possibility that we could lose both, and quite honestly, I wouldn't mind if we lost Coffield. He's a very average NT.

Strong Safety? I like Michael Johnson more than many giants fans, but he's god awful against the run and our SS needs to be able to play the run.

bigbluedefense
10-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Strong Safety? I like Michael Johnson more than many giants fans, but he's god awful against the run and our SS needs to be able to play the run.

yeah definitely. but with this safety class, im thinking we can land a quality SS who fits our needs in round 2.

Honestly, its gonna come down to BPA by the time the draft arrives.

But a run clogging DT would help this team more than anything else right now. We could nab one in FA though.

Although Reese has shown that he doesn't like getting big DTs like Gabe Watson and Casey Hampton, both of whom will be FAs this year.

top 3 needs as of right now are

MIKE
run stuffing DT
run thumping SS

Basically, run defense. We need to shore up our run defense.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I forgot to mention this, but Brandon Spikes looked studly against LSU.

He'd look good in Giant blue.

As much as I like Sintim, man it would be sweet if we got Malauaga instead. If only he fell just a little bit more... :(

Rey was the best blitzing MIKE ive seen in quite some time.

McClain and Spikes are the 2 best MIKEs in this draft. Another name that interests me is Eric Norwood.

I know he's not your traditional inside backer, he's more of a pass rushiing OLB, but I think he may have potential inside in our scheme. He's not fast enough to be a 4-3 OLB, and I don't think he's really a good 3-4 OLB either.

I think he'd make a solid 3-4 ILB or a blitzing MIKE in our scheme. Our MIKE really is just a run thumper who can blitz and chase backs out of the backfield. Play a soft zone once in awhile.

I think Eric Norwood has that potential.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
actually, no nvm.

Im way off. Eric Norwood is another Clint Sintim. We already have that.

Big_Pete
10-13-2009, 03:42 AM
It will come down to the best player available at each pick.

Seriously, we have good young depth at almost every position

It may depend on whether there is a new CBA; without it guys like Cofield, Dockery, Whimper, CC Brown, Wlkinson, Hixon and Moss are not free agents.

With the way Robbins is playing, he could be brought back if the price is right.
Even if Robbins and Cofield leave, the cupboard is hardly bare with Canty, Alford and Bernard, but I get the feeling the Giants keep Cofield around at a reasonable price.

Yes we could use a DT and a S to develop to add into the rotation for the future; other than that we have capable young guys in the system, so we can cherry pick the best possible upgrades at a range of positions.

Two guys I am keeping an eye on for the Giants are S Nate Allen and DT Dan Williams; I think both could be good fits for the Giants system

bigbluedefense
10-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I do not want us to resign Coffield, unless its for cheap and as a backup player. He is not starting caliber imo, he's a very average player.

He's durable, but he's so average. A NT who can plug in the holes inside vs the run would do wonders for this defense. Whenever teams want to run inside on us over Center, its like our DTs part like the red sea. The NT has to do a better job of holding his anchor and clogging those run lanes.

Coffield even with all the attention our DEs get, doesn't do that. Hes a very average player.

Im hoping for the short term, Canty can replace him (when he finally gets healthy) but I think for our long term future, Canty is better at UT. So if we can find an anchor in the draft, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't resign Hixon unless its for cheap as a 4th WR, maybe not even then. He's only good for returning punts and kicks. I rather see Barden on the field honestly over him.

CC, Id be open to resigning him. Let's see how he does, so far he's doing better than I thought, but he hasn't really played anyone worth a damn yet either.

With Bruce Johnson showing potential, Id let Dockery walk unless the price is right. Id like to keep us 5 deep at CB if possible. Only for the right price though.

I think resigning Whimper is a must. The guy has potential as our future RT, and I think at the very least, he makes for a very solid backup swing tackle. Id like us to extend during the season to be honest.

Rosebud
10-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I repeat Vince Oghobaase bbd, he's a big strong kid who always gets the push and often is able to use his long arms and strength to get through and break plays up. Him and Canty with Alford and Bernard on the bench would be awesome. Although I'd also love to see us bring in a guy like Reshad Jones who is a versatile safety who can do a lot of things from that SS position.

Big_Pete
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
I think resigning Whimper is a must. The guy has potential as our future RT, and I think at the very least, he makes for a very solid backup swing tackle. Id like us to extend during the season to be honest.

Agreed on Whimper,

actually he came in at RG in the raiders game and did really well, in fact he was perhaps more powerfull than Snee

He is very athletic, so I expect he would do ok on pulls and traps

Whimper can play RT for sure, but I wonder if he could learn LG and push Seubert...

Rosebud
10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Our offensive line is set down the road with one more young lineman. Starting next season I expect to see
LT - Beatty
LG - Diehl/Seubert
OC - O'Hara/Seubert
RG - Snee
RT - Diehl/Whimper

Malaka
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
If O'Dowd from USC comes out and he's available, I really want us to draft him, I like him way better than Alex Mack, who was getting hype as one of the best C prospects in last few years. O'Hara is good, but he's getting old and I have seen him get pushed around by bigger DTs like Haynesworth way too much for my liking.

bigbluedefense
10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Im very open to us going after a Center. Id welcome that.

We can go in a number of directions this year.

Cicero
10-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Alright, mock draft is over. I traded Manningham to the Rams for their second and 4th round picks and here's who I got:

32. Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
33. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
64. Earl Thomas, S, Texas
96. Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU
97. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
128. Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas

scottyboy
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
no! we're gonna sign Ryan Blaszczyk as an UDFA and keep the awesome streak of RU UDFA centers alive!

bigbluedefense
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I love me some Earl Thomas.

Longhorns Legend got me up on him (i think it was him, or Thule, or both), and I think he's going to be a very good player.

D-Unit
10-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I love me some Earl Thomas.

Longhorns Legend got me up on him (i think it was him, or Thule, or both), and I think he's going to be a very good player.
It was LL. We've been talking about him, but there are thoughts that he won't declare yet.

Cicero
10-13-2009, 09:14 PM
It was LL. We've been talking about him, but there are thoughts that he won't declare yet.

That's the beauty of having all juniors and redshirt sophomores declaring. :)

scottyboy
10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
I want Myron Rolle. Always been a fan of his, but I think he could be a steal for us in the 3rd, hell maybe even the 2nd. I love his game and he's a smart kid obviously. If any coaching staff can get him on top of his game and back in shape physically, it's ours. I think if the BPA in the 1st isn't safety, it's a deep enough class we can grab one in the 2nd or 3rd and be perfectly fine

Rosebud
10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
I want Myron Rolle. Always been a fan of his, but I think he could be a steal for us in the 3rd, hell maybe even the 2nd. I love his game and he's a smart kid obviously. If any coaching staff can get him on top of his game and back in shape physically, it's ours. I think if the BPA in the 1st isn't safety, it's a deep enough class we can grab one in the 2nd or 3rd and be perfectly fine

I liike the kid as a man, but as a football player he's very mediocre and I'd be disappointed if we spent more than a 4th or 5th pick on him, and that's not considering he might not even pursue an NFL career.

LetsGoGiants!
10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I saw on a mock draft on another site, where the person had us taking Brian Price DT from UCLA. I saw him play against Oregon this week and I was pretty impressed. What do you guys think of this pick?

Big_Pete
10-14-2009, 08:29 PM

If there is no new CBA in place by next year (and Goodell has made it clear owners are preparing for that), then Free Agency will be a problem

Assuming the Giants are in the top 8 playoff teams (which looks likely at this point), the Giants will only be able to sign free agents as our current free agents sign elsewhere.

On top of that our only free agents will be Robbins, Clark and Carr

Players will need 6 years to become a free agent, meaning Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Wilkinson, Dockery, and Brown (all of whom would be UFA with a CBA) would not be free agents, the Giants would retain their rights.

Rosebud
10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
I saw on a mock draft on another site, where the person had us taking Brian Price DT from UCLA. I saw him play against Oregon this week and I was pretty impressed. What do you guys think of this pick?

I haven't gotten a chance to check him out but I've read some really good things that make him seem like he should be the clear cut #3 DT after McCoy and Suh. So he'll probably be a top 20 pick, but there are a bunch of other gifted DTs I have seen who should be available if we don't end up going SS, which would be my preference.

bigbluedefense
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
After Brandon Spikes suspension (what a terrible thing to do btw, he shouldve gotten more than a half game suspension), I hope he falls in this draft.

He's still a beast, and my favorite ILB prospect. Right now he's #1 on my target list.

Big_Pete
11-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Here is my thoughts of the draft/offseason (they really go together) from 2 Nov

Bear in mind I have taken into consideration the fact that we will see alot of underclassmen (likely substantially more than the approx 50 we have had in recent years).

I don't think you can separate the draft from the rest of the offseason process, they are very much interlinked imho

What a difference a week makes. I thought the Eagles game will be a pivotal point in the season. Lets face it, we were soundly beaten in all phases by a team that was beaten by the Raiders just two weeks ago. I think the Saints showed teams how to beat the Giants deep and the Cardinals, and Eagles followed suit. I expect with teams like Atlanta, Dallas and San Diego we will see more of the same.

From recent performances, and where the team is at, I think we rebound to some degree, but it won’t be enough. I think we are looking at an 8-8 or 9-7 season with the Giants missing out on the playoffs to Dallas and/or Philadelphia.

Firstly, I am assuming there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place before next season. I think the NFLPA and the NFL will make an agreement, probably at the last minute in early Jan.

Here are my current thoughts for the 2010 offseason

Coaching Carousel
For right or wrong I think Coughlin could be fired this year. It is true that no-one works harder than Coughlin, but it seems at several points this season, we have been out-coached.

Our players haven't executed well at times, but also there have been several time when I don’t think our players have been put in the best position to compete and win games.

Our attiude is strong, we have the work ethic, committment and team focus. No-one prepared harder than Coughlin, but his system is reasonably rigid and doesn't seem to adjust well in games. But for whatever reason, this team doesn't have the tactical agility to adapt to dynamic in game situations.

I can’t help thinking if we had Spagnuolo as Head coach instead of Coughlin, we would be a very different team. Bottom line: Barring a monumental turn around, I think we will be looking for a new head coach.

Head Coach – Charlie Weis
Weis is a very, very good offensive minded coach. He develops very good schemes and more importantly, can make in game adjustments (which is my main criticism of Coughlin). We know he can explosive offenses (often without super star players). He now has head coaching experience and has proven he can build a team . Being head coach at Notre Dame is excellent experience of being under the media spotlight in NY. The fact that the Giants are his ideal job is gravy.

Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach – John Fox
With Weis as Coach, we need an experienced guy to handle the defense, particularly someone who is experienced with 4-3 defenses. I can’t see Fox surviving the annual end of season coaching purge. But there is no doubt that Fox is a very very good defensive coach, particularly with defensive backs. Fox has an excellent defensive mind, has had success with the Giants and is a good fit. I think Fox will build on the excellent groundwork we have from Spagnuolo/Sheridan and take it to the next level.

Special Teams Coach – Brian Polian
Currently Weis’ special team coach at Notre Dame; Brian is a very good coach and comes from the famed Polian family who have had much success in the NFL. Special teams has been a problem for some time for us, changes are needed.

Other coaches
For the most part I would keep the rest of the coaching staff. They are very good at what they do and have strong relationships with the players. This includes Gilbride, whom I think is very good schematically, knows the players well and perhaps has been hindered a little by Coughlin and his structured approach – but have no doubt Weis will be calling the plays.

Notes:
1. I have assumed that Aaron Ross is moved to FS over the back half of this season and does really well. This will allow Phillips to move into SS.

2. Diehl continues to struggle against speed rushers. William Beatty will seriously push him in camp; if Beatty is up to the task, Diehl will slide inside to LG and pushing Seubert to the bench.

Free Agency

Giants Free Agents
Carr, Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery, CC Brown, Feagles

Resign – Hixon, Cofield and Carr to reasonable contract extensions (I assume Feagles will retire).

Consider contract extensions for Alford, Bradshaw, Umenyiora, Boss, Smith, M Johnson

Release Antonio Pierce
He proved he still has ability, but he is declining. The big reason is to save $ 4.75m against the cap. There is a lot to like about Pierce, but his contract far outweighs his performance.

Rocky Bernard has not performed as expected so far, and his status will be reviewed during the off-season. But Robbins will be gone and Bernard does provide solid veteran depth. If Cofield can be resigned then Bernard is likely on the way out particularly if we upgrade the position in the draft. This is a numbers game, Cofield isn't a super star, but he is young, experiences and is a very solid run stopper, particularly on running downs and he complements Alford and Canty well; plus he should be reasonably priced. Dominating the trenches up front will be a priority particulalry at DT.

This means Pierce, Moss, Whimper, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery, Brown and quite possibly Bernard will be plying their trade elsewhere in 2010.

Salary cap wise, I think we will be in decent shape. I think we will have enough for a very solid (but perhaps unspectacular) offseason.

Free Agency Signings

LB Demeco Ryans, Houston.
Ryans is a quality, young (25) MLB that is a huge upgrade over Pierce. He has not been happy with Houston and I think the Texans will choose to franchise Robinson instead of Ryans, particularly with the emergence of Cushing. Certainly the Texans have been very reluctant to pay him what would have been a reasonable deal, which further indicates that he could be available. Ryans is an ideal fit for the middle of our defense. The Giants give him the opportunity to play on a legitimate playoff contender behind a dominant Dline.
*other options include Barrett Ruud, D'Qwell Jackson, Derrick Johnson and Karlos Dansby

CB Richard Marshall, Carolina
A good young (24) CB on a bad team. Marshall is a the type of CB we like and gives as a very good group of corners. Marshall also has more speed than Webster, Ross or Thomas giving us better match ups against quicker receivers (which have caused us some problems). This also gives us the option of moving Aaron Ross (or perhaps Terell Thomas) to FS if need be. The Giants give Marshall the chance to play on a legitimate play-off team with his former head coach.
*other options include Dunta Robinson and Marlin Jacskon

TE Anthony Fasano, Miami
Fasano is a young (25) blocking TE to complement Boss and Beckum. The Giants give him the chance to play on a legitimate play-off team in his home town. Fasano is solid at best in the passing game and is really a very good #2. Also there are alot of good receiving TEs available in both free agency and the draft.
*other options include Jeff King

Draft

Going into the draft we don't have a huge amount of needs and can generally take the best player available. We do need to upgrade LB, DT and secondary depth at some point. I have assumed the Giants are picking in the 15-20 range.

1. DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse (6-4, 293, 5.05)
(2007-09: 31 GP, 130 Tackles, 27.5 TFL, 6 sacks)
Jones is a very strong, mobile NT, who is very disruptive despite regular double teams. John Fox knows the value of being strong up front. Jones gives us that anchor we haven’t really had since Keith Hamilton and substantially upgrades our DT rotation.

2 OT Selvish Capers, West Virginia (6-5, 298, 5.00)
Capers is the powerfull, agile, athletic bookend OT who could play eithe side. Capers is too good to pass up. We did get Beatty last year, but McKenzie has had injuries at times and Diehl struggles with speed rushers. Capers gives us a pair of bookend tackles to develop for the future, with Diehl likely moving back to LG eventually.

3. S Darrell Stuckey, Kansas (6-1, 205, 4.50)
(2007-09: 34 GP, 226 tackles, 10 TFL, 1.0 sack, 7 Int (71 yds), 15PBU, 1 QBH, 3 FR, 3 FF)
Stuckey is a good all round safety. Deep coverage has been a real problem and there is some uncertainty with Phillips long term future. He gives us more quality depth and another stud special teamer.

4. LB Pat Angerer, Iowa (6-1, 235, 4.50)
(2008-09: 22 Games, 196 tackles, 10 TFL. 2 sacks, 6 int (72 yds), 7 PBU, 3 QBH, 2 FF)
Angerer is a fast, athletic, instinctive but undersized MLB who may shift outside to WLB for us. Boley has shown how a fast, athletic WLB transforms our defense, Angerer gives us valuable depth and a stud special teamer.

5. CB Syd’Quan Thompson California (5-9, 191, 4.50)
(2008-09:34 GP, 179 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 6 Int (204 yards), 30 PBU, 1 FF)
Thompson is a very good all round CB, that lackes elite measurables. Thompson has been very productive and can also return punts. The CB class is very deep, but Thompson is excellent value here providing good depth and and excellent special teamer.
Giants trade up to the late 4/early 5 using the 7th round pick

6. P Zoltan Mesko, Michigan (6-5, 231, 4.75)
(2006-09: 45 GP, 237 P, 10,074 yds, 42.5 ave, 66 Long, 73 I20, 0 blocked)
Mesko is a strong leg punter who is used to cold weather football. Mesko is an ideal replacement for Feagles and helps considerably with Field position.

Possible Roster

- With this offseason in mind, my 2010 depth chart would be something like:

Offense (26)
QB - Manning, Carr, Bhomar
WR - Smith, Nicks, Manningham, Hixon, Barden, Hagan
TE - Boss, Fasano, Beckum/Johnson
RB - Jacobs, Bradshaw, Brown, Ware
FB - Hedgecock
OT - McKenzie, Beatty, Capers
OG - Snee, Diehl, Seubert, Boothe
OC - O'Hara, Koets

Defense (25)
DE - Tuck, Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, Tollefsen
DT - Canty, Alford, Jones, Cofield
SLB - Sintim, Kehl, DeOssie (LS)
MLB - Ryans, Goff, Blackburn
WLB - Boley, Angerer
CB - Webster, Marshall, Thomas, Thompson, B Johnson
SS – Phillips, Stuckey
FS - Ross, M Johnson

Special Teams (2)
K - Tynes
P - Mesko

bigbluedefense
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Coughlin could go 5-11 for the season and still not get fired. And rightfully so, he shouldn't get fired. The players buy into his system.

If anyone is gone, its Sheridan. I could see John Fox possibly coming back, the Giants have a proud history of assistants that would love to coach here, so I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a quality assistant to replace Sheridan.

Although I think we need to give Sheridan more time before we write him off. He's not as bad as we think he is.

Im all for DeMeco Ryans, but I don't know if he fits our system. We need a run thumper, and Ryans is more of smaller guy. The Texans haven't exactly been dominant against the run either, Ryans is more of a tackle compiler than a playmaker.

I love Ryans, love his intelligence, work ethic, leadership etc, but Im not sure if he's what we need in the middle.

Big_Pete
11-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Coughlin could go 5-11 for the season and still not get fired. And rightfully so, he shouldn't get fired. The players buy into his system.

If anyone is gone, its Sheridan. I could see John Fox possibly coming back, the Giants have a proud history of assistants that would love to coach here, so I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a quality assistant to replace Sheridan.

Although I think we need to give Sheridan more time before we write him off. He's not as bad as we think he is.

Im all for DeMeco Ryans, but I don't know if he fits our system. We need a run thumper, and Ryans is more of smaller guy. The Texans haven't exactly been dominant against the run either, Ryans is more of a tackle compiler than a playmaker.

I love Ryans, love his intelligence, work ethic, leadership etc, but Im not sure if he's what we need in the middle.

You are right about Coughlin and Sheridan, perhaps that was frustration from the Eagles gamel but they do have to lift their games.

I disagree agout Ryans; the very thing that hurts us most with Pierce is a lack of mobility. Thumpers are nice, but we need mobile thumpers who can cover. They are exceedingly rare.

If we need a true thumper on certain downs, we do have guys like Sintim and Goff. I don't see any reason to bring in a "thumper" style MLB, particularly early.

I have assumed that Fox is DC, the key to the defense will be strength up front. Ryans is a very similar style of player (perhaps a little better); it is worth remembering that he doesn't have the help up front, nor a great secondary.

Regardless these are my current thoughts, I am curious to see how they change over the season.

touchdownmaker
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I would have to agree with Big Pete. Most of the LBs we have drafted have been strong against the run, and weak in coverage. Pierce was a great asset early with us because his quick feet allowed him to take advantage of his reads. Its clear we need an athletic Mike that can drop into coverage. You pair a guy like that with Boley, we will be in good shape.

I think a run stuffing DT also allows your athletic backers to stuff the gaps. You really don't need Ray Nitschke these days. You need a guy who can get to the right gap quickly. Once he is there, any backer worth his salt should be able to make the tackle.

I think we should be very aggressive in filling the holes we have at the Mike spot and at Safety. We don't know how Kenny Philips will play once he comes back. Thankfully, there are a lot of Safeties in this years draft.
Here are a list of some potential Safeties in next year's free agent class:
O.j. Atogwe
Nick Collins
A. Bathea
Darren Sharper
Roman Harper
Atari Bigby

bigbluedefense
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Some names of guys that I can realistically be available to us currently that I would be interested in.

I'm not saying these are the only guys that id like, just that ive seen em and like what they have to offer, and wouldnt mind them in Giant blue.

Brandon Spikes - ILB
Nate Allen - Safety
Sean Weatherspoon - OLB/ILB
Jermaine Gresham - TE
Earl Thomas - Safety

I haven't scouted any DTs, but Id be very open to drafting a run stuffing DT in round 1, or even a Center.

bigbluedefense
11-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Jamar Chaney intrigues me. I don't think he's as big as he's listed. He doesn't have overly great speed, he doesn't hit guys in the phonebooth with authority.

He seems like a solid guy, nothing stands out but very solid.

BaLLiN
11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
I'll hop on the Earl Thomas bandwaggon, although i dont think he has enough weight on him to play safety immediately.

We need to find a way to get Rolando McClain on our team. Imagine Boley, McClain, and Sintim as our starting 3 LBs. How idealistic would that be for our defensive scheme? McClain has such range that we could essentially use Boley and him interchangeably to cover these shifty runningbacks and tightends that seem to kill us. Kenny Phillips could essentially be a rover type player with his varied skillset. All we need now is a cover safety that can make wrapup tackles when needed.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd love for us to trade up for McClain. He's been one of my favorite players to watch all years.

Rosebud
11-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I know a MLB like McClain or Spikes would be great, but I'm more concerned with our DT position. I'd for us to move back in the first and grab Vince Oghobaase, a S like Reshad Jones or Nate Allen and Matt Tenant. I want to see what Goff can do with this team, especially if we improve the DT play.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 10:09 PM
I know a MLB like McClain or Spikes would be great, but I'm more concerned with our DT position. I'd for us to move back in the first and grab Vince Oghobaase, a S like Reshad Jones or Nate Allen and Matt Tenant. I want to see what Goff can do with this team, especially if we improve the DT play.

I'd be fine with a DT also depending on who it is. I always dream of what a dominant DT would be able to open up for our pass rush.

Big_Pete
11-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Considering the fact that we don't have a huge amount of needs and that we may be picking alot earlier than we would like...

It is worth trading up to pick a guy like Eric Berry?

If we add someone like Berry at FS (shifting Phillips to SS), this defense looks extremely formidable.

Eg: If we end up at say #16, by the trade value chart, we could trade our 1st, 2nd and 2010 2nd and end up in the #5 area. There are alot of teams around there in need of alot of help and could really use the extra picks.

bigbluedefense
11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
MIKE, DT, Safety, Center.

I wouldn't mind any of those positions in the 1st. If we do have a top 15 pick, then I want us to move up and nab Rolando McClain. He's the next Patrick Willis.

Big_Pete
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Considering the fact that we don't have a huge amount of needs and that we may be picking alot earlier than we would like...

It is worth trading up to pick a guy like Eric Berry?

If we add someone like Berry at FS (shifting Phillips to SS), this defense looks extremely formidable.

Eg: If we end up at say #16, by the trade value chart, we could trade our 1st, 2nd and 2010 2nd and end up in the #5 area. There are alot of teams around there in need of alot of help and could really use the extra picks.

Just thinking on this a little further...

If we could trade up to get to somewhere around the top 5, who do you think we should get (assuming they are available)

S Eric Berry, OT Russel Okung, DT Ndamukong Suh, DT Gerald McCoy or maybe even WR Dez Bryant?

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
If we had a top 5 pick I'd go Suh.

bigbluedefense
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, if we get a top 5 pick (highly unlikely though), I want Suh.

A realistic option in the draft for us is Dan Williams. I think he's a pretty good NT, and we need one of those. We'll be fine at UT with Canty, but we need a true NT. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

And Williams can create a push too. He's not just a run clogger.

We have options. I think theres no question though that we need to address MIKE, SS, and NT in the draft.

bigbluedefense
11-14-2009, 09:12 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Giants went after Greg Hardy though. I love Hardy, and have been a fan of his for awhile, but I would be upset at that move if we made it.

We have more pressing needs. But it wouldnt shock me if the Giants nabbed him anyway.

Rosebud
11-14-2009, 06:37 PM

A realistic option in the draft for us is Dan Williams. I think he's a pretty good NT, and we need one of those. We'll be fine at UT with Canty, but we need a true NT. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

We have options. I think theres no question though that we need to address MIKE, SS, and NT in the draft.

Definitely agreed that Suh is the prospect who would most benefit this team.

As for our NT situation I've been on the Vince Oghobaase bandwagon for a while, he's long, but plays with great strength and leverage which is why I think he'll be a great fit at NT in a 4-3.

I'm going to disagree on MIKE being a need, sure if there's no great value at SS or DT and we have a shot at a guy like McClain or Spikes who would be great fits for our D I would go in that direction, but I think we should give the Goff/Kehl duo a shot at the job since I think Goff would make a great run thumper in the middle of our D while Kehl could be the third down mike since he's more fluid and a better cover backer. Sure we could use a stud here but that's more of a luxury than a need.

bigbluedefense
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Definitely agreed that Suh is the prospect who would most benefit this team.

As for our NT situation I've been on the Vince Oghobaase bandwagon for a while, he's long, but plays with great strength and leverage which is why I think he'll be a great fit at NT in a 4-3.

I'm going to disagree on MIKE being a need, sure if there's no great value at SS or DT and we have a shot at a guy like McClain or Spikes who would be great fits for our D I would go in that direction, but I think we should give the Goff/Kehl duo a shot at the job since I think Goff would make a great run thumper in the middle of our D while Kehl could be the third down mike since he's more fluid and a better cover backer. Sure we could use a stud here but that's more of a luxury than a need.

I haven't caught any of Oghobaase yet. The thing I like about Dan Williams is that he plays in a good program and against better competition. And he's looked damn good doing it.

He'd look good on our front.

If we're going to roll with Goff or Kehl, then they MUST start at some point this season. We can't go into the offseason blind about what we have in them. Gotta see what they can do before that.

If they don't get any snaps, then you have to assume that we need a MIKE. At the end of the day, they were 4th and 5th round picks. A MIKE like Brandon Spikes would do wonders for this defense.

Especially since AP can't shed a bock, and has been taking horrible angles this year. The few times Ive gotten to see some endzone cam on tv or whatever, every time AP looked god awful against the run.

So MIKE is a huge need. We don't know if we have the answer in house. Why gamble?

D-Unit
11-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Not sure if you saw this or not in the Cowboys draft thread, but I've been tracking Dan Williams since before the season started. Every week, I add 3 new players to the watch list. Dan Williams was in the very first post along with Bryan Bulaga and Geno Atkins (I actually meant Jeff Owens, but got mixed up). You can see a brief commentary on stuff about him, but I think you might find it interesting. If not, not. But I thought I'd share.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1876023&#post1876023

bigbluedefense
11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Not sure if you saw this or not in the Cowboys draft thread, but I've been tracking Dan Williams since before the season started. Every week, I add 3 new players to the watch list. Dan Williams was in the very first post along with Bryan Bulaga and Geno Atkins (I actually meant Jeff Owens, but got mixed up). You can see a brief commentary on stuff about him, but I think you might find it interesting. If not, not. But I thought I'd share.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1876023&#post1876023

Good stuff D. I'll definitely start checking this out more often as the year goes on.

Big_Pete
11-17-2009, 04:34 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Giants went after Greg Hardy though. I love Hardy, and have been a fan of his for awhile, but I would be upset at that move if we made it.

We have more pressing needs. But it wouldnt shock me if the Giants nabbed him anyway.

I am not sold on Hardy, I think Derek Morgan or Greg Romeus are better fits to be honest.

Big_Pete
11-17-2009, 04:35 AM
Good stuff D. I'll definitely start checking this out more often as the year goes on.

Dan Williams is someone I have been keeping an eye on for the Giants, I think he would be a real nice fit here

bigbluedefense
11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I am not sold on Hardy, I think Derek Morgan or Greg Romeus are better fits to be honest.

I'm a big Derrick Morgan fan. But I doubt he'd last to the 20s. He's a pick in the teens, and at that point, I'm definitely not thinking about DE.

BaLLiN
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Ballin's Draft
Needs to address Offensively:

-C,G,T- best case scenario, Beatty develops into the left tackle we need, we move Diehl to LG, if McKenzie goes down Diehl moves to RT and Seubert backs up at G and C.

-PLAYMAKER- WR/RB type guy, not needed but would be very useful on offense and special teams and hard to match up to.

Needs to address Defensively:

-DT/NT- Where has our defensive line pressure been? are our FA signings just stopgap players? We need a guy that does what Ratliff did to us.

-MLB- Pierce looks awful, he knows what he has to do, he just cant do it with as much power and quickness as he needs to. Goff looks big, but do we have enough trust in him?

-CB/S- Im sorry, but im not as optimistic about Aaron Ross playing safety as you guys are, he isnt displaying the physicality he had in college at all. Antrel Rolle and him are very similar players but we cant afford a bad tackling safety.

There is no way that i let Rolando McClain slip away from us this draft. Seen too many ILB come straight from the draft and produce recently, we need one.

Also Kiwanuka is not benefiting at all by staying in NY, i love him, but i dont think we'll be able to hold on to him, pretty sure he's an RFA so we can trade him.

*3-4 Defense trades for Kiwanuka, suffers 1st and 5th rounders.

1.(trade away our first, future first, 4th) Rolando McClain
Yes we're going to miss out next year, but McClain is a talent that fits what we want and more.

1. (From Kiwi trade) Sergio Render- Yes a guard, we're losing our push as an offensive line, he can play guard or RT, its a fit.

2. Jahvid Best- there's no doubt in my mind that he will come out, he has alot going for him. He is going to be that burst that we need, Jacobs is losing a step, Bradshaw isnt producing ,enough Ware better prove himself.

3. Trevard Lindley- he is a good cover guy with height and physicality, seems like a FS to me.

5. Chris McGaha- next jordyzzzz nelsonzzz

5. ED WANG- we need an AZN lineman

6. Stevenson Sylvester- last year he really stuck out to me in that bowl game, he looked like a monster, a guy with a high motor, SP teams/guy who could develop into the WILL in our system.

7. KICKER/PUNTER

Rosebud
11-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Ahmad's on pace for a 1000 yard season with 5 ypc and 7 rushing TDs. How is he not producing?

And we need a SS, Phillips and MIchael Johnson have FS covered.

BaLLiN
11-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Ahmad's on pace for a 1000 yard season with 5 ypc and 7 rushing TDs. How is he not producing?

And we need a SS, Phillips and MIchael Johnson have FS covered.

okay, i meant when we need him. I liked the guy since before we drafted him, but im starting to question if he can ever be as good as he was last playoff season. We need him when we face teams that can beat us, not just when we're facing teams like Oakland, Kansas City, etc..

SS and FS should be relatively interchangeable. Michael Johnson has been brilliant sometimes, and others almost as awful as CC. I think Phillips should be SS with his body size and more reliability in tackling, we really need a safety that has range and can make plays. Im not asking for ed reed here, but someone to challenge those deep passes and make the opposing OC think twice before he goes long.

bigbluedefense
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
i wouldn't mind trading the farm for McClain. He's the next Patrick Willis.

We can nab a safety in the mid rounds, or even in FA. we don't need a stud safety, just a solid SS who can support the run and provide decent pass coverage.

Worst case scenario KP's career is done, Johnson is very solid at FS, but we need a SS to compliment him.

We can find that in various ways.

A stud MIKE is hard to find. 2 guys I really like are McClain (obviously), and Brandon Spikes.

Brandon Spikes is more realistic.

Giantsfan1080
11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Before the year began it would have been McClain who was more realistic.

bigbluedefense
11-17-2009, 09:07 PM
yeah i won't be surprised if mcclain is a top 7 pick by the time the draft comes around.

he's a freak athlete, smart, productive, he's basically Patrick Willis.

he'll go very high.

BaLLiN
11-28-2009, 11:08 PM
just throwing this out there, Terrance Cody, i described what i thought of him having an on and off motor, weight issues, but how do you guys feel. I dont know but i think that if we got the combo of Cody and McClain, we'd be pretty set for a bit given both keep their potential.

Giantsfan1080
11-28-2009, 11:13 PM
just throwing this out there, Terrance Cody, i described what i thought of him having an on and off motor, weight issues, but how do you guys feel. I dont know but i think that if we got the combo of Cody and McClain, we'd be pretty set for a bit given both keep their potential.

I'd be fine with it but it would never happen. We'd have to trade up for both most likely and that's not possible.

BaLLiN
11-28-2009, 11:58 PM
I'd be fine with it but it would never happen. We'd have to trade up for both most likely and that's not possible.

well, i realize that 3-4 NT's with his talent dont come around very often, but weight issues (much more than Glen Dorsey's were), knee injuries, there's a possiblity he might drop. On many draft sites he's ranked 3rd or 4th of DT's and in the teens on average of value.

Rolando has had a hard life, i can forgive his character concerns, but god damn he's a player. He needs to be on our team, i dont care if we need to trade a future 1st, he's worth it IMO.

Plan: Trade away Kiwi w/ future second and fourth to Miami (3-4 team), net around a 15-20 1st rounder. Use other picks as ammo likely use up 4th this year.

*1a. Rolando McClain MLB - become MLB eventually
*1b. Terrence Cody NT - Run stuffing, double team eating monster
2. Ciron Black OT - cements our right OL as our RT in training
3. Reshad Jones S - (don't think he's worthy of the 1st-2nd round consideration) progressive learning while playing if kenny phillips is done.
5. Alterraun Verner CB - productive battle tested cb with potential
6. Stevenson Sylvester OLB/ST - explosive, plays with emotion, great athleticism.
7. BPA (best punter available)

scottyboy
11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
i feel both Cody and McClain are over rated

Rosebud
11-29-2009, 02:09 PM

I think he's a massively over-rated prospect who plays too high, does a ****** job using his arms to keep people off of him and then the obvious conditioning issues. He's a major project and frankly a piss poor fit on a 4-3 team like us. I'd rather grab a more UT like prospect like Brian Price, although Price probably won't last to our pick, in which case I want either Vince Oghobaase or Dan Williams to be a giant with Major Wright, Reshad Jones or Nate Allen being our other top 2 round pick.

bigbluedefense
11-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Cody wouldn't work in our 4-3 defense.

I think the best guy for our scheme is Dan Williams. Not only can he hold the point against the run and has mass to him, but he can also penetrate. I know the Giants have shied away from bigger DTs in recent years, but I think its time they bulked up inside.

They focused so much on stopping the pass in recent years, they forgot that they have to stop the run first. We need big guys inside.

As for our 1st round pick, if we're picking top 10, I think we have to get McClain. Its a no brainer to me. He's everything you want in a MIKE.

if we're picking 15-20, then things get trickier. bc McClain will be gone. Now who do you get? Do you go after Mays? I'm a Mays fan, but I'm starting to think he's overrated. And he plays undisciplined football.

Do we move back and collect picks? I think that would be ideal in that scenario. We need to nab a quality C and DT, and I would like to nab both in the 2nd round, and that is only possible if we move back in the first and collect a 2nd round pick.

That way, we can nab Brandon Spikes in the late 1st (who is sure to fall), and then nab our 2nd round DT and 2nd round C that we desperately need.

Rosebud
11-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I suspect we'll be picking in the late first round, 20 or later, and so want us to leave the first two rounds with one of Brian Price, Vince Oghobaase or Dan Williams and one of Major Wright, Reshad Jones or Nate Allen. Sure if a stud like McClain, Spikes, Mays or Bulaga is available at our pick I'd be awful tempted to go in that direction, but if we leave with two of the six guys I mentioned I'd be stoked.

bigbluedefense
11-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't know enough about everybody yet to really want any specific players outside of some obvious choices like McClain, Spikes, Mays etc.

But I definitely want us to address MIKE, DT, and Center right away.

I'm hoping we can nab a quality FA safety if any are available. We don't need a stud safety, just a solid SS who can play opposite of Phillips or Johnson if Phillips career is over.

I think Dawan Landry's contract is up, and maybe he becomes available. I would give him a serious look.

Rosebud
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't know enough about everybody yet to really want any specific players outside of some obvious choices like McClain, Spikes, Mays etc.

But I definitely want us to address MIKE, DT, and Center right away.

I'm hoping we can nab a quality FA safety if any are available. We don't need a stud safety, just a solid SS who can play opposite of Phillips or Johnson if Phillips career is over.

I think Dawan Landry's contract is up, and maybe he becomes available. I would give him a serious look.

I think I've read that Whitner has an option in his contract and depending on the new HC Buffalo might let him walk, he'd be a nice addition, but right now I'm not projecting much in FA this year, we spent money last year and I don't think JR spends a lot this year as well. Which is why I think SS is our second biggest need in the draft because we need someone who can play the run/in-the-box well as well as not being a liability in coverage. Frankly I think Major Wright would be a great addition if he comes out, kid's like a poor man's Bob Sanders without the injuries, at least so far.

bigbluedefense
11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
getting a safety early in the draft hinders our ability to spend an early pick on either a DT or a C though.

I feel that both DT and C are round 2 needs. I don't want us to wait too long to address either position, bc i feel both positions need to be addressed early.

Rosebud
11-30-2009, 09:31 PM
getting a safety early in the draft hinders our ability to spend an early pick on either a DT or a C though.

I feel that both DT and C are round 2 needs. I don't want us to wait too long to address either position, bc i feel both positions need to be addressed early.

I don't think C is that pressing of a need. Between Seubert and O'Hara I think we can go another year without getting a new starter C, although a guy like O'Dowd in the third could be nice. Plus there will some good FA C's like Kevin Mawae or younger guys like the Eagles' Nick Cole.

BaLLiN
11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
with manning's injury, i highly doubt we are picking in the 20's. Dallas, Eagles, Washington, Carolina, Minnesota. I highly doubt we win more than 2 of these. Carolina's rush offense, Minnesota's rush and pass and D are so much better, Washington's D has been keeping them in games, our D has been losing us games. Dallas is overrated, Eagles are a bit overrated, but both are doing alot better than us.

We're likely 7-9, which would mean 14-19th draft position. I really don't mind, we need to reload, the way we've been playing is awful. Losing on the field will now give Jerry Reese an opportunity to work his magic.

Back to the draft, i dont remember seeing an impact player as a 3-4 NT in college in my lifetime watching football (roughly 9 years). What annoys me with our system is why we 'NEED' two more pass oriented, on the small side defensive tackles. Why not open up to a run stuffer and blocker eater who pushes the pocket?

When you think of it, it helps more than a passrushing DT, he takes double teams away from the pro bowl caliber DE's we have, allows us better angles to the QB (for A gap blitzes, not as much help from a Guard on one side, a DE has a straight line to the QB.

By taking two interior blockers from the QB, the opposing team can only have three more offensive linemen, and a possibility of 3 extra blockers (TE, FB, HB). This means we either have two extra guys in coverage or one extra guy blitzing. Most likely one will stay in the backfield, making a total of 4 players against a DT and two pro bowl DE's and another blitzer.

If all are in one on one matchups, and we have an extra coverage guy, that puts pressure on the QB and with the rush defense being strong, 3rd and longs will come often.

If you dont read any of that ^^^^ please read this. I would take a rush stopping defense with an average pass defense over average rush over great pass defense any day. It takes away the "Free" yards and puts it on the QB. With our stadium the way it is this helps us alot, we were built a rush stopping defense and used our Meadowland winds to keep us ahead. We can't use the pass to set up the run.

Rosebud
11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
We're better than Carolina and Washington, minnesota likely won't have anything to play for, Dallas and Philly are divisional games and I think we split those two. I could see us winning 4 of our last 5 to finish the year 10-6 fairly easily.

Forenci
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Eh, Ballin..I honestly prefer 'smaller', quicker, penetrating defensive tackles for a variety of reasons. I think they're more likely to stay healthy than the 330+ pound 3-4 style nose tackles of the world. I also feel that a guy who gets into the back field and penetrates is just as disruptive in the run as the bigger DT's are.

If McCoy or Suh ever fell out of the top 5 (which I put the likelihood at almost zero) I'd be for trading away a lot of picks to go up and grab either of them. I prefer Suh and think he will be a stud, but McCoy is probably more the style of defensive tackle we prefer and is equally awesome in his own right.

I'm also really high on Marvin Austin out of UNC as I mentioned in the other thread.

BaLLiN
12-01-2009, 06:27 PM
We're better than Carolina and Washington, minnesota likely won't have anything to play for, Dallas and Philly are divisional games and I think we split those two. I could see us winning 4 of our last 5 to finish the year 10-6 fairly easily.

Carolina can run the ball, even when the other team knows they'll probably run it 75% of the time, Washington just almost beat a good Philly team that made us look silly. I agree though we will win one of our divisonal games. Minnesota might be fighting for the #1 seed.

Not to be such a sour puss but we need the draft pick, we are losing our physical mentality, its demoralizing.

The draft is the only way for us, FA's just dont work for us, at least the way we're looking for them. michael huff, if he's a FA, needs to get a flier on our team. He's still young, he has the talent, he fits our defense, and can make plays.

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Carolina can run the ball, even when the other team knows they'll probably run it 75% of the time, Washington just almost beat a good Philly team that made us look silly. I agree though we will win one of our divisonal games. Minnesota might be fighting for the #1 seed.

Not to be such a sour puss but we need the draft pick, we are losing our physical mentality, its demoralizing.

The draft is the only way for us, FA's just dont work for us, at least the way we're looking for them. michael huff, if he's a FA, needs to get a flier on our team. He's still young, he has the talent, he fits our defense, and can make plays.

Carolina starts Jake Delhomme and has a defense we can beat. Washington is washington, we're healthier now than when we wiped the floor with them early in the season. I like the saints heading down this stretch run a lot more than the vikings and that's not counting the game in hand for the saints so I wouldn't surprised at all if they had second locked up with no chance for the top spot.

As for the draft pick getting a higher draft pick won't effect our team unless we are in position to grab Suh or McCoy and we won't trade up that far. We just need to keep re-stocking the lines while adding a SS. Canty gives us precisely one good DT, add one or two in the draft and a healthy jay alford and run D would be far less pathetic. Add a young C to battle O'hara for the starting spot while Beatty steps in sliding Diehl inside and our OL is leet again. This team isn't far from being a superbowl team, we just need to keep filling out this team.

Rosebud
12-07-2009, 02:22 AM
This year more than any other year I want the giants to trade down. There's so much talent at our top 2 needs that we can really gain some value. If we end up getting one of the last playoff spots and trade down into the last 4 picks we should be able to swap our 4th for a second and then grab our SS as well as two stud DTs. If we could finagle Major Wright/Reshad Jones/Nate Allen, Dan Williams and Vince Oghobaase I'd be ecstatic. Our run D would become a strength and we'd never have to have a massive hole in our secondary again.

Offensively the effective of Beatty taking over LT can not be understated as that lets Diehl slide inside to LG leaving O'hara as our only lineman who struggles to get a good push, making our running game more beastly while also giving eli more time. So offensively all we need is a third or fourth round C to have battle Seubert and Koets for the backup C job or maybe even a guard if we want to transition Snee to C long term.

dtowner
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Marvin Austin from N. Carolina. If we don't trade up and realistically look at who might be available when we pick, I like this 6'3, 305 pound DT and with Cofield and Robbins both on their last contract year, no guarantee we sign either of them back so that would leave us with just Bernard and Canty at Tackles and Canty was hurt most of the year and hasn't proved he is a real tackle yet. Just looking for some feedback.

Go Ggggmen - kick the Shegirls *SSES.

bigbluedefense
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Ive heard good things about Austin. I haven't scouted him personally, but I heard he fits the mold of the type of DTs we like to go after.

NC has some slept on talent. I think a couple of guys on that team are going to be good finds.

Number 10
12-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I think Aaron Rouse is going to negate the need for a safety this offseason. He fits our scheme well and would play awesome next to Phillips.

bigbluedefense
12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I think Aaron Rouse is going to negate the need for a safety this offseason. He fits our scheme well and would play awesome next to Phillips.

I was thinking about this myself. But I'm hesitant of giving him the stamp of approval just yet bc afterall, he was so erratic in GB, I don't know if we want to put all our eggs in his basket.

He's looked GREAT for us though. Fits like a glove. He's our Chris Horton, whom Ive said forever is just what we need at SS.

Whats your thoughts on Goff so far? Youve always been spot on with your evaluation of LBs, and I'm curious to hear your opinion on him. I came away impressed, and I'm hoping he can improve with more playing time.

Rosebud
12-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Ive heard good things about Austin. I haven't scouted him personally, but I heard he fits the mold of the type of DTs we like to go after.

NC has some slept on talent. I think a couple of guys on that team are going to be good finds.

I'm very wary of Austin, he's underachieved for a long time despite incredible potential and DT is not a position where we've been able to get under-achievers to maximize their talent. I just fear that he could be another Willie Joseph which is why I like Brian Price, Vince Oghobaase and Dan Williams a lot more.

He has impressed me, but let's not jump the gun, if he keeps playing well he might push SS down the list of needs, but we'd still need some quality depth and if he isn't able to keep his level of play up through the end of the season we'd need a starter. Again he's impressed, but there's still a ways to go before SS stops being a top need.

Number 10
12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm not saying at all that we look past SS in the draft, but it is not the pressing need that many made it out to be. We can survive with Rouse-Phillips-Johnson and a rookie. Every year I make my own real-time draft picks when the Giants are on the clock (without the luxury of waiting to see who falls and who doesn't) just to compare how I would do against Reese. Two of my picks this past year were Rashad Johnson (Alabama drafted by ARI) and Victor 'Macho' Harris (Va Tech drafted by PHI). Harris would be the best safety on our team right now and Johnson impressed me in preseason. Just saying...would be nice to have one of those guys let alone both right now.

BBD in re:Goff...My DVR got messed up so I don't have a tape of the game, just the memory of watching in real time. He played well, certainly well enough to keep the starting job. The thing that stood out the most was the physicality in taking on blocks. He really delivered a blow to some strong blockers and we are used to Pierce playing soft in that department. Goff plays hard, plays strong, plays aggressive. That can make up for a lot. I want to see him play better in coverage though, as I think he may be even worse than AP and we simply can't have that. Doesn't seem comfortable when dropping into his zone, looks a little hesitant and unsure but I guess that is expected. But he isn't a natural mover when he is going backward and that is going to be exploited this week and against the teams we will need to beat in January if we make the playoffs.

Rosebud
12-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm not saying at all that we look past SS in the draft, but it is not the pressing need that many made it out to be. We can survive with Rouse-Phillips-Johnson and a rookie. Every year I make my own real-time draft picks when the Giants are on the clock (without the luxury of waiting to see who falls and who doesn't) just to compare how I would do against Reese. Two of my picks this past year were Rashad Johnson (Alabama drafted by ARI) and Victor 'Macho' Harris (Va Tech drafted by PHI). Harris would be the best safety on our team right now and Johnson impressed me in preseason. Just saying...would be nice to have one of those guys let alone both right now.

BBD in re:Goff...My DVR got messed up so I don't have a tape of the game, just the memory of watching in real time. He played well, certainly well enough to keep the starting job. The thing that stood out the most was the physicality in taking on blocks. He really delivered a blow to some strong blockers and we are used to Pierce playing soft in that department. Goff plays hard, plays strong, plays aggressive. That can make up for a lot. I want to see him play better in coverage though, as I think he may be even worse than AP and we simply can't have that. Doesn't seem comfortable when dropping into his zone, looks a little hesitant and unsure but I guess that is expected. But he isn't a natural mover when he is going backward and that is going to be exploited this week and against the teams we will need to beat in January if we make the playoffs.

gotcha, I still think that if Rouse doesn't keep playing phenominally through the end of the year that it would be worth adding another stud at the safety position, partially as cover for Kenny and also because we've seen how two great safeties can open up your defense for you.

I liked Johnson a lot in last years draft, Macho not so much, he seemed like a pure cover-2 corner to me, but Johnson is a guy who had a great sense for the ball and instincts that really impressed me.

Number 10
12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
gotcha, I still think that if Rouse doesn't keep playing phenominally through the end of the year that it would be worth adding another stud at the safety position, partially as cover for Kenny and also because we've seen how two great safeties can open up your defense for you.

I liked Johnson a lot in last years draft, Macho not so much, he seemed like a pure cover-2 corner to me, but Johnson is a guy who had a great sense for the ball and instincts that really impressed me.

Harris has been playing a great safety this year. He completely locked up Tony Gonzalez this past week, very versatile DB that tackles well.

Rosebud
12-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Harris has been playing a great safety this year. He completely locked up Tony Gonzalez this past week, very versatile DB that tackles well.

So what are your thought on this safety class? I'm a major wright fan and think both Reshad Jones and Nate Allen could be high caliber starters. Not so sure on the rest of the class.

Number 10
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
So what are your thought on this safety class? I'm a major wright fan and think both Reshad Jones and Nate Allen could be high caliber starters. Not so sure on the rest of the class.

I'll be watching a lot of game tapes I haven't seen yet this season. Off the top of my head Allen is the only first round caliber safety in this class (excluding the underclassmen that have yet to declare). But even he brings concerns to the table that would be exploited in our defense. I think the best route to take will be to wait until round 3 or 4 when it comes to safety.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 09:25 AM
So I take it neither of you guys are high on Taylor Mays?

scottyboy
12-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I'll be watching a lot of game tapes I haven't seen yet this season. Off the top of my head Allen is the only first round caliber safety in this class (excluding the underclassmen that have yet to declare). But even he brings concerns to the table that would be exploited in our defense. I think the best route to take will be to wait until round 3 or 4 when it comes to safety.

ew, absolutely not. Allen is awful. Not worthy of until our 2nd rounder. He's so unbelievably over-hyped it's absurd. Every time I watched him he's getting toasted. Mays is the top guy, and Jones is a guy with nice potential but I'm not sure he's deserving of our 1st rounder. I think we grab a DT round 1 and I LOVE Matt Tennant, center from BC in round 2

Forenci
12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
ew, absolutely not. Allen is awful. Not worthy of until our 2nd rounder. He's so unbelievably over-hyped it's absurd. Every time I watched him he's getting toasted. Mays is the top guy, and Jones is a guy with nice potential but I'm not sure he's deserving of our 1st rounder. I think we grab a DT round 1 and I LOVE Matt Tennant, center from BC in round 2

Lol, it's not like that's Rutgers bias or anything. Allen is good whether you want to admitt it or not. I wouldn't really want him in the first unless we're picking late but he's not awful by any means.

I'm on board with Tennant in the second round too. I've liked him for a while so it'd be great to get a replacement for O'Hara in here. He's also big enough to play guard too if he had to.

Giantsfan1080
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Tennant would be a great idea and we all now Coughlin loves his BC guys. I never watch Nate Allen enough while watching USF to make a judgement. I know he didn't do much when we played them but could have just been a bad game.

scottyboy
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Lol, it's not like that's Rutgers bias or anything. Allen is good whether you want to admitt it or not. I wouldn't really want him in the first unless we're picking late but he's not awful by any means.

I'm on board with Tennant in the second round too. I've liked him for a while so it'd be great to get a replacement for O'Hara in here. He's also big enough to play guard too if he had to.

no...well partially, but not really. I've seen Allen a lot and just haven't been impressed with him at all. I'll admit when Big East rivals are good, but I just wasn't impressed by Allen. Didn't help Tommy Savage shredded him and his secondary apart :)
but idk, I just wasn't overally impressed

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Center is definitely high on my wish list. I want us to address Center in the 2nd round if possible.

we'll see how our needs shake up coming into the draft. i wouldn't mind nabbing a FA safety just in case KP's career is over. That way, we'd go into the 1st 2 rounds with DT, C, and MIKE (potentially) being our round 1-2 needs.

Makes the board a little clearer for us.

scottyboy
12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm telling you guys, I LOVE Tennant. Grab a Vance or Dan Williams in round 1, grab us a nice future young DT and Tennant round 2. that'd be ideal. Build through the trenches

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm telling you guys, I LOVE Tennant. Grab a Vance or Dan Williams in round 1, grab us a nice future young DT and Tennant round 2. that'd be ideal. Build through the trenches

id love for our 1st 2 rounds to be Dan Williams then Tennant.

it wouldn't be sexy in April, but it would be sexy in December.

Forenci
12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Something tells me a lot of people have that idea about Tennant though and he won't stick around in the second round very long.

I think if Mays fell to the Giants it would make a lot of sense. I'm assuming Phillips will be healthy next year, but if he isn't you can slide him to free safety to cover some ground, and if Phillips is healthy you can move him to strong safety to lay the wood and stop the run. Ideally I think Mays is more of a strong safety and Phillips is more of a ball hawking free safety as we all well and know.

Aaron Ross working out at free safety would give us a ton of flexibility too in theory. He really helped seal up the game with that excellent tackle in space on Marion Barber on 4th and 2. I liked what I saw from him during the game.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, Mays is a guy you have to keep your eyes on. He could fall in this draft. And if he does, you have to give him a serious look.

Also good point on Tennant. ESPN had an article not too long ago about how drafting Centers is starting to become a bigger priority amongst teams and Centers are starting to get drafted higher than ever.

Just last year we saw, what, 3 centers go in the 1st 2 rounds? Theres no guarantee that Tennant sticks around. It makes sense too if you think about it. You get great quality and value by drafting Center early in a key position on your team.

Its a great safe, and smart pick to make as a team.

scottyboy
12-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Then, what would you guys think about grabbing Tennant round 1? perhaps we go on a run and get a nice low pick (we all hope 32 obviously). Would you guys be fine with that? I think I would.

Number 10
12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Mays is interesting. I knew from the very first time I saw him play that he was going to be overrated by the average NFL Draft fan. Just like I knew that about Maualuga and Michael Johnson last year.

Mays can be a good player in this league but he has weaknesses that can and will be exploited unless he is around some really good DBs. As a first round pick, he is certainly a reach because he can't do a lot for a secondary. But once you starting talking about him as a bottom-half 2nd round pick into the 3rd, the value would be right on.

Giantsfan1080
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Turns out Maualuga wasn't overrated though. He did drop in the draft but he shouldn't have.

Number 10
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Turns out Maualuga wasn't overrated though. He did drop in the draft but he shouldn't have.

I disagree. He is playing well...but he is playing as good as a 2nd rounder should play.

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are guys that are playing like 1st rounders, again like where they were drafted.

Remember that, at this time last year, you wouldn't find a mock draft anywhere that had Maualuga after #10 overall.

Giantsfan1080
12-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I disagree. He is playing well...but he is playing as good as a 2nd rounder should play.

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are guys that are playing like 1st rounders, again like where they were drafted.

Remember that, at this time last year, you wouldn't find a mock draft anywhere that had Maualuga after #10 overall.

I know that but if he was picked in the 1st round nobody would be complaining that he's been a bust up to this point. If we had taken him instead of Nicks I'd think we'd all be pretty happy just based on his play.

Forenci
12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I know that but if he was picked in the 1st round nobody would be complaining that he's been a bust up to this point. If we had taken him instead of Nicks I'd think we'd all be pretty happy just based on his play.

I'd be pissed if we took Maualuga over Nicks. I'd have been woefully upset if we'd done it on draft day and even more upset now that we've seen Nicks play. Much harder to find wide receivers who have elite potential like Nicks does as opposed to linebackers who do.

I suppose you could also say it's also easy to find a pretty good middle linebacker who's more than adequate (perhaps not elite ala Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis) as opposed to finding a wide receiver who drastically changes what defenses do and can break games open. Middle linebackers usually can't change the course of the game by themselves, where there are wide receivers can.

I'm not saying Nicks will ever get to that level but there's no denying he has the potential to do just that.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a Center in the 1st. It depends on how the board shapes up.

Mays is an interesting guy. His measurables are to die for, and his range is unbelievable. He reminds me of Reggie Nelson though, a guy I was VERY high on that completely busted in the NFL. Like Nelson, I question his intelligence and ability to comprehend a complex defense. Its easy to play center field in college, just like Nelson shown, but what about reading and reacting to an NFL offense?

And he lacks ball skills. Physically you look at him and you think, we can make something of him but we just don't know that yet. He can be all pro, or he can be the next Roy Williams.

I loved Rey. I first loved him, then I hated him, then I loved him again right before the draft. He was the best blitzing MIKE ive seen in years. He'd be perfect for us at MIKE. If Nicks and Britt were off the board, or if we didn't need a WR, id love to take Rey in that situation. He was #2 on our board too. Reese said if Nicks wasn't there he wouldve taken Rey or Sintim. I personally think if Nicks was gone that Britt was a no brainer, but Reese wasn't high on Britt.

Giantsfan1080
12-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm very glad we took Nicks but if we did take Rey and he played well for us I'd think we'd be happy with him as well.

bigbluedefense
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
you can make an argument that at least for this year, Rey wouldve made a bigger impact for us than Nicks has.

after that though, I fully expect Nicks to make a much bigger impact in comparison.

D-Unit
12-11-2009, 02:52 AM
you can make an argument that at least for this year, Rey wouldve made a bigger impact for us than Nicks has.

after that though, I fully expect Nicks to make a much bigger impact in comparison.
I think Maiava would've been "Maiava-lous". :D

He's been steady. Did you see him get in on that sack tonight?

Rosebud
12-11-2009, 06:17 AM
So I take it neither of you guys are high on Taylor Mays?

I think Mays will be phenominal with a good staff, I just don't think he'll last until our pick in which case he becomes a steal like Kenny was for us.

bigbluedefense
12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I think Maiava would've been "Maiava-lous". :D

He's been steady. Did you see him get in on that sack tonight?

Maiava is the truth. I was real happy to see that. I wish he was starting though.

Part of me is upset with him being in a 3-4. He's much more of a 4-3 backer. But regardless, I'm just happy to see him make plays.

BaLLiN
12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
If Earl thomas and Major Wright come out, where do they land? IMO Earl Thomas is mid-late 2nd because of his size. Wright i dont know much about, but i feel like he hasn't shown enough in coverage, he goes for big hits too much, and is pretty bad in man on man. I'd rate major wright as round 3, because although he has those negatives, he makes impact plays.

scottyboy
12-14-2009, 10:53 PM
it's official, I want to trade up for Anthony Davis and make him and Beatty our future stud bookends. Diehl and Snee at OG. I LOVE Seubert, but I think he's lost it. He's a tough, nasty SOB but he's lost his magic. Draft Tennant to replace O'Hara in the future. Win.

KP and a 2nd round safety also equals win. Or a FA safety.
DT is eh, I think we can find a diamond in the rough later in the draft

Forenci
12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
it's official, I want to trade up for Anthony Davis and make him and Beatty our future stud bookends. Diehl and Snee at OG. I LOVE Seubert, but I think he's lost it. He's a tough, nasty SOB but he's lost his magic. Draft Tennant to replace O'Hara in the future. Win.

KP and a 2nd round safety also equals win. Or a FA safety.
DT is eh, I think we can find a diamond in the rough later in the draft

Trade up for Davis? I don't think so. We already have our LT of the future in Beatty and trading UP in the draft for a right tackle would be pretty dumb.

Not to mention we have way more pressing needs than a right tackle. Re-sign Whimper cheaply and he would do a more than an adequate job. Or I suppose you could always move Diehl to RT if needed.

Defense is the name of the game. For as bad as the offensive line has been at times it's still doing an adequate job. If we have to become more of a passing team with Eli and our young receivers since we can't run block I'm alright with that. Jacobs and Bradshaw should still be able to do a solid job.

DT, MLB (depending how Goff does), Safety, Center are all far more pressing needs than Anthony Davis, no offense Scotty.

Giantsfan1080
12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
I love Anthony Davis but Forenci is right. No need for him on the team. We'll have to wait for Sanu to finally get a new Rutgers player.

Forenci
12-14-2009, 11:40 PM
I love Anthony Davis but Forenci is right. No need for him on the team. We'll have to wait for Sanu to finally get a new Rutgers player.

I'm down for Sanu whenever he comes out. I love him. He really looked impressive to me, especially for a true freshman.

scottyboy
12-15-2009, 12:12 AM
FINE!
McCourty as our nickel/4th CB?
R-Blaz as our future center? our current undrafted RU center has done pretty damn well, eh? ;)
George Johnson late for funzies would be sweet too

Forenci
12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
FINE!
McCourty as our nickel/4th CB?
R-Blaz as our future center? our current undrafted RU center has done pretty damn well, eh? ;)
George Johnson late for funzies would be sweet too

I like McCourty too actually. Wouldn't be opposed to him if it was late in the draft. Right now corner is the least of our worries. Dockery is okay, Johnson is still young and has a chance to be good, and we all know Thomas and Webster are pretty damn good in their own right. That's not even including Ross who if we got a solid safety and KP is healthy he would be one of the best nickel CB's around.

Also as much as it pains me to say this I think Feagles is finally done. He's just too inconsistent with his punts. Might finally be the time to draft a new punter late in the draft. I'm not really familiar with who's a good punter and obviously it's not really a huge need but I've never been opposed to drafting one late if they can help with field position. It'd be nice if we could find a punter who could do kick offs too. Tynes is just awful at it.

Giantsfan1080
12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Now that we don't have good field position Feagles can't punt for length. When we need that long punt he can't give it to us.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2009, 10:28 AM
We can probably just nab a punter as an UDFA. nobody drafts a punter if i remember correctly.

We shouldve nabbed Gano when we had the chance as a kicker. I heard he's been doing well for the Skins.

Right now I'm thinking DT and C. Safety is also a big need. I'm hoping we can address safety in FA though. There are some good FA safeties available, and considering the need for a high end DT and C, I rather spend our 1st 2 rounds on those needs opposed to using one of our early picks on a safety.

Forenci
12-15-2009, 10:52 AM
We can probably just nab a punter as an UDFA. nobody drafts a punter if i remember correctly.

We shouldve nabbed Gano when we had the chance as a kicker. I heard he's been doing well for the Skins.

Right now I'm thinking DT and C. Safety is also a big need. I'm hoping we can address safety in FA though. There are some good FA safeties available, and considering the need for a high end DT and C, I rather spend our 1st 2 rounds on those needs opposed to using one of our early picks on a safety.

You'd be surprised how many teams have drafted kickers/punters and even long snappers late in the draft. If it means we can bring in a guy who gives us great field position and help out the defense I'm all for getting a punter in the 6th/7th round. Same goes for a kicker. Getting a guy who doesn't make our defense constantly start out on the other teams own 30-40 would really help the defense out.

I agree with you about our needs though, and the order in which they should be addressed. A lot of it will based on who falls to us though. If for example Mays fell to us I could see us going that route, but if not I certainly see DT as option. I don't expect us to get a big run stuffer like everyone is thinking though.

Giantsfan1080
12-15-2009, 11:31 AM
A lot of the draft stuff might also be based on whether or not we keep Sheridan. If we bring in someone new we might be going in a different direction.

scottyboy
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
thoughts on going to a 3-4? The packers did it and it's working wonders for them. Think:

Tuck-drafted NT-Canty
Osi-Goff-Boley-Kiwi

I think it could work, not gonna lie.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
We all know how I feel about the 3-4 :)

I think though if we went 3-4, we'd have to use Wade Phillip's 1 gap variation. We can't use a traditional 2 gap 3-4 bc Tuck is out of place in that scheme.

Maybe a ZB style 3-4 could work too.

The easiest fix is just grabbing someone out of Philly again to run the ZB 46. Our team is built to run Philly's scheme.

I love me some John Fox, but I don't really remember much about his schemes as a DC.

Dick Jauron scares me a little.

Forenci
12-15-2009, 12:52 PM
thoughts on going to a 3-4? The packers did it and it's working wonders for them. Think:

Tuck-drafted NT-Canty
Osi-Goff-Boley-Kiwi

I think it could work, not gonna lie.

I don't. We'd be relying on presumably a rookie nose tackle and forcing many of our great players to adjust to roles they've never even tried. We're a 4-3 team and there isn't much a doubt about it to me. As bad as a defense as we're playing now we are just one year removed from having a great defensive season, and having an amazing one in 2007. Doesn't make any sense to try and force guys into new roles.

I'm not opposed to trying a hybrid defense though, if you could find the guy to do it. We could use some 3-4 looks and I recall Spags using a 3-4 look a few times for us when he was here, although not to a great extent.

If this defense was devoid of talent I'd be for a switch but we still have a lot of good players, many who are/were injured plus we've clearly got a dumbass for a defensive coordinator.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
The great thing about running our D out of a 3-4 front is how the 3-4 is just much better at masking blitzes.

You guys see the Jets im sure. You see how Rex Ryan draws up and masks his blitzes? Its much easier to do so in a 3-4. Sure, guys would have to learn new roles, but they would also benefit from coming clean a couple of times to smack the qb.

The only concern of mine would be Tuck. Tuck is not a 3-4 OLB. He'd have to be a 3-4 End, and he's not big enough to be a 3-4 End. He can be one in Wade Phillip's 1 gap scheme though.

Osi and Kiwi would thrive standing up. You can argue that they'd actually be better in that role than as DEs.

And Sintim would thrive too.

And if youre going to make the switch, this is the year to do it. Wilfork and Hampton are FAs, and Dan Williams and Terrance Cody are available in the draft.

I'm not saying we should go 3-4, but I don't think it would be an entirely bad idea. Depends. Would you rather have a crappy 4-3 DC or a good 3-4 one?

Ideally we want a great 4-3 DC, but theres no guarantee that any are available to us.

scottyboy
12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
exactly. I mean, my ideal situation is Fox gets fired and comes back here as our DC. I'd go INSANE. I LOVE him.
But if not, I'm just saying a 3-4 could be in the cards.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Do any of you guys remember what style of D Fox ran?

I honestly don't remember. I asked in the Carolina Team Forum to get a better gauge of whether he fits our personnel or not.

I love Fox. But if he runs a lot of Cover 2 and doesn't blitz much, I don't know if thats what we want.

Forenci
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
But again, you're still assuming those guys will all thrive in the 3-4, when there is really no guarantee of that. I honestly have no idea if Osi will be able to stand up. I'd be willing to bet Kiwi could as he's played LB in the 4-3, but it's still no guarantee. Plus like you mentioned, it will make Tuck far less useful, even if it is a 1 gap scheme.

What happens to all of the other players you didn't mention? Who knows if Boley can play inside? Who knows if Goff can? What about Jay Alford, can he even play a 3-4 DE? No clue. Rocky Bernard becomes even more useless than he already is.

There are just too many question marks to risk switching to a 3-4, especially when Eli is just entering his prime and the offense is very good, and young.

All it takes is one bad transition to the 3-4 and it could screw up our defense for years.

BaLLiN
12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Don't like the fact that transitioning to 3-4 would make us have to draft Cody basically and he has knee issues which will definitely be worsened by playing at an NFL level, and we'd really only have him at NT.

if we go to a 3-4 we'll need to draft accordingly, meaning we'll need another ILB, a NT, we still need safeties, and probably a DE. Then we'd have to land a veteran NT which would all but show that we wasted money on bernard and somewhat canty.

1. Cody
1. (next year's 1st and 4th) Branden Spikes
2. Corey Wooten
3. Darrell Stuckey
4. Sergio Render
5. Myron Rolle

Offensive line still needs help, but i wouldnt be opposed if we got this,
wouldn't mind that really, Cody would definitely need a veteran to rotate with, Spikes would be a pretty nasty ILB, Wooten is a beast and would be pretty ideal and essential for our transistion. Stuckey isn't a beast but he has decent potential from what i've heard, Render used to be highly regarded, and helping two freshmen to rushing records in consecutive years means that he is a pretty decent run blocker, Rolle is smart, may be slow, but is pretty decent in run support.

eagles6606
12-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Clint Sintim would be a beast 3-4 OLB! Favorite player in the draft last year.

bigbluedefense
12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
With Osi looking the way he has since his injury, and with Kiwi just lacking that finishing touch to his rushes, and with Tuck showing that he could be injury prone, would it shock anyone to see us go after a pass rusher early?

I could see us getting Greg Hardy if he falls for the right price. Maybe in the 2nd round.

Wouldn't shock me at all.

bigbluedefense
12-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Scott's latest mock has us taking Dan Williams. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind it at all. We can go in a number of directions in this draft, but landing a DT like Williams sounds good to me.

I think we need a DT like Williams. We've been missing that kind of DT presence since Keith Hamilton. Its been a long time since we had a stoute run stuffing NT who can grab double teams.

And considering how we're already thin at DT, and could get thinner in the offseason, this might be the pick. We all know Reese goes after the BPA in our biggest need in round 1. He's done it 3 years in a row now.

With Robbins possibly not coming back, Coffield possibly not coming back, Bernard most likely getting cut, and Alford coming off an ACL, DT could easily be our biggest need this offseason.

Vince Oghabasse is a guy i'm warming up to as well. But I prefer Dan Williams at the moment.

LonghornsLegend
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
The only concern of mine would be Tuck. Tuck is not a 3-4 OLB. He'd have to be a 3-4 End, and he's not big enough to be a 3-4 End. He can be one in Wade Phillip's 1 gap scheme though.

I know he would be literally perfect for Wade's scheme but I always felt he would be a beast of a 3-4 End in andyone's scheme for some reason. He may not have the size and bulk, but if you had a huge NT in the middle I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter. I would love to see a 3-4 ran with a huge NT like Kris Jenkins in the middle and two DE's like Ratliff and Tuck on each side, I wouldn't care which scheme it was.

Parcells was really high on Tuck also if I'm not mistaken that year so he would of likely been in his scheme at that position also.

bigbluedefense
12-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I know he would be literally perfect for Wade's scheme but I always felt he would be a beast of a 3-4 End in andyone's scheme for some reason. He may not have the size and bulk, but if you had a huge NT in the middle I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter. I would love to see a 3-4 ran with a huge NT like Kris Jenkins in the middle and two DE's like Ratliff and Tuck on each side, I wouldn't care which scheme it was.

Parcells was really high on Tuck also if I'm not mistaken that year so he would of likely been in his scheme at that position also.

Wow, I didn't know that. Parcells would probably get him to bulk up to about 295ish. He's around 270 now.

Ratliff and Tuck on the same dline in any scheme would be beastly. 4-3 line, 3-4 line, doesn't matter. That would be ridiculous.

Imagine lining up those 2 on the same side of the dline and stunting them? Who do you block?

Im actually surprised Dallas doesn't do that with Ware and Ratliff in 4 man nickel fronts now that I think of it.

LonghornsLegend
12-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Wow, I didn't know that. Parcells would probably get him to bulk up to about 295ish. He's around 270 now.

Ratliff and Tuck on the same dline in any scheme would be beastly. 4-3 line, 3-4 line, doesn't matter. That would be ridiculous.

Imagine lining up those 2 on the same side of the dline and stunting them? Who do you block?

Im actually surprised Dallas doesn't do that with Ware and Ratliff in 4 man nickel fronts now that I think of it.

Yea I wish I could find that link, you guys took him before we could get a chance, but I definately remember reading how impressed he was with Tuck and wanted him to be a base DE and pass rushing DT on passing downs. Scouts Inc even redid that draft for us in 2008 and since Ware went #2 in the redone draft they gave us Tuck at #11 actually. Tuck is really versatile so he'd probably only have to adjust his weight a little here or there to make the switch.

We try to get Ratliff in those positions too, but people have started to double him alot more then usual, Ware just moves around so much from side to side so you'll see some stunting with him but he is always on the move.

Sintim is the only guy other then Tuck I would love to see in a 3-4, he's looked great for you guys as is, but I think he'd be a monster OLB too. We have the same arguments in our forum too though about possibly going to the 4-3, thing is you always have to 'assume' certain guys can make the change without problems and you just never know. I'd hate to see Osi end up like Kampman, losing all his trade value and being a non-factor in a new defense.

bigbluedefense
12-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Yea I wish I could find that link, you guys took him before we could get a chance, but I definately remember reading how impressed he was with Tuck and wanted him to be a base DE and pass rushing DT on passing downs. Scouts Inc even redid that draft for us in 2008 and since Ware went #2 in the redone draft they gave us Tuck at #11 actually. Tuck is really versatile so he'd probably only have to adjust his weight a little here or there to make the switch.

We try to get Ratliff in those positions too, but people have started to double him alot more then usual, Ware just moves around so much from side to side so you'll see some stunting with him but he is always on the move.

Sintim is the only guy other then Tuck I would love to see in a 3-4, he's looked great for you guys as is, but I think he'd be a monster OLB too. We have the same arguments in our forum too though about possibly going to the 4-3, thing is you always have to 'assume' certain guys can make the change without problems and you just never know. I'd hate to see Osi end up like Kampman, losing all his trade value and being a non-factor in a new defense.

I think Sintim would be very Woodley-esque in a 3-4. I don't know if he'll realize his true potential in our 4-3. So far though, he's looked pretty good even though he's not being used to his maximal ability.

Yeah, I was one of the advocates of you guys going to a 4-3 :)

I really wouldn't mind a 3-4 in NY. We all know I love the 34 front. Our best base would be a 4-3 base with a Spags like coordinator, but if we can land a 3-4 guy who brings pressure, I rather have that then a Bill Sheridan.

I don't think our front 7 would need as big of an overhaul as ppl think it would.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't see Tuck as a 34 DE. If anything he would have to get moved to LB if at all possible. But I am interested in what our next system will be.

bigbluedefense
01-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Tuck can play End in a Phillips 3-4, which is a 1 gap scheme. Not in a traditional 2 gap scheme though.

If Javhid Best falls to the 2nd round, I would give him serious consideration. I like Best. He'd make a great spread offense back. And we're becoming more of a 3 WR offense nowadays. We could use another back in that mold.

Forenci
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Tuck can play End in a Phillips 3-4, which is a 1 gap scheme. Not in a traditional 2 gap scheme though.

If Javhid Best falls to the 2nd round, I would give him serious consideration. I like Best. He'd make a great spread offense back. And we're becoming more of a 3 WR offense nowadays. We could use another back in that mold.

Could he play in Phillips scheme? Yes. Will he be nearly as effective as a 4-3 DE? I doubt it, personally. Seems like a waste to take such a versatile and unique player in Tuck and force him to adjust to a different scheme.

I'm with you for Best though. I love him. Only thing that scares me is his size and injury issues. Still, has a scat back and member for a three headed monster with Bradshaw/Jacobs/Best I think he'd be able to stay healthy.

The question is would we utilize him properly? Depends who our OC is if Gilbride goes to coach the Raiders.

Something tells me after Best runs the 40 he won't be lasting until the second round, even with injury concerns. He is going to destroy the 40 considering he's a track star too.

bigbluedefense
01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Could he play in Phillips scheme? Yes. Will he be nearly as effective as a 4-3 DE? I doubt it, personally. Seems like a waste to take such a versatile and unique player in Tuck and force him to adjust to a different scheme.

I'm with you for Best though. I love him. Only thing that scares me is his size and injury issues. Still, has a scat back and member for a three headed monster with Bradshaw/Jacobs/Best I think he'd be able to stay healthy.

The question is would we utilize him properly? Depends who our OC is if Gilbride goes to coach the Raiders.

Something tells me after Best runs the 40 he won't be lasting until the second round, even with injury concerns. He is going to destroy the 40 considering he's a track star too.

I think Tuck could thrive in that scheme. Phillips is great at getting the most out of all his front 7 guys. Its actually always been his secondary that he's had trouble with.

Look at Jay Ratliff. The guy is an absolute monster, and is waaay out of position as a 3-4 NT. But look at how Phillips puts him in positions to make huge plays and dominate.

He would do the same thing for Tuck.

I could see Best as a late 1st, possibly 2nd round guy. I don't know if we're going to have two 1st round RBs this year. And if we do, will they both be scatbacks?

Best is going to come in at around 190 lbs or maybe 200 if he packs on weight. He'll run a 4.3 though. I guess we'll wait and see what his deal is. I like Spiller too. But both those guys are probably going to different teams, bc we have more pressing needs.

I wouldn't mind the selections if they were made though.

scottyboy
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Was gonna post this anyway, but since we're on RB's here, seems appropriate, but I am STOKED for Andre Brown next year. Let's not forget about him. I think he can really help us out and be a very nice addition to our O next year.

bigbluedefense
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I know hindsight is 20/20, but I'm kind of upset with our Travis Beckum selection last year.

I like the player, but I just see no spot for him on our offense. What is he gonna do? He's not big enough to replace Boss as a full time TE, he's not big enough to be a FB, and he's not good enough to replace one of our big 3 WRs.

And even in redzone situations, I rather have Barden out there over him.

So where does he fit? I feel like he may have been a wasted draft pick.

scottyboy
01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I know hindsight is 20/20, but I'm kind of upset with our Travis Beckum selection last year.

I like the player, but I just see no spot for him on our offense. What is he gonna do? He's not big enough to replace Boss as a full time TE, he's not big enough to be a FB, and he's not good enough to replace one of our big 3 WRs.

he absolutely DOMINATES as a 2nd TE in Madden. Trust me.

bigbluedefense
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
he absolutely DOMINATES as a 2nd TE in Madden. Trust me.

that alone makes the selection totally worth it.

I also bench Jacobs for Bradshaw when i pick the Giants.

Oh yes. yes i do.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Yeah maybe, but we are not running the 50 defense which is what Philips defense is. 1 gap 34 defense. I think if we change it would be a true 2 gap 34 defense.

Big_Pete
01-06-2010, 01:43 AM
If could be possibile to use 3-4 fronts (or mix in 3-4 fronts with 4-3 fronts)

I wouldn't completely rule out Tuck as a 3-4 DE, but will it get the best out of arguably our best defensive lineman. I think Tuck could be a good 3-4 DE much like Bruce Smith.

Or perhaps he could be used in some DE/OLB hybrid, much like Willie McGinest.

Basically the defense as it stands could be in for a complete overhaul. Everything is up for grabs at the moment.

Realistically even if we keep the 4-3 as expected, there is alot of work needed in the front seven.

Does the prolific passing attacks mean that we need to consider the more mobile options?

I think my preferred option would be to sign Ryan Pickett and draft Dan Williams.

Rosebud
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
I hope we pick up James Starks, he's going to go way later than he should because of his injuries. He's got very good and speed with quick feet and nice vision. Plus despite transferring away I'd love to see a UB Bull make a positive impact on the g-men.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-07-2010, 08:31 AM
If could be possibile to use 3-4 fronts (or mix in 3-4 fronts with 4-3 fronts)

I wouldn't completely rule out Tuck as a 3-4 DE, but will it get the best out of arguably our best defensive lineman. I think Tuck could be a good 3-4 DE much like Bruce Smith.

Or perhaps he could be used in some DE/OLB hybrid, much like Willie McGinest.

Basically the defense as it stands could be in for a complete overhaul. Everything is up for grabs at the moment.

Realistically even if we keep the 4-3 as expected, there is alot of work needed in the front seven.

Does the prolific passing attacks mean that we need to consider the more mobile options?

I think my preferred option would be to sign Ryan Pickett and draft Dan Williams.

So basically a hybrid defense? 3-4 and 4-3 fronts? So... Tim Lewis all over again? Remember he came from a 3-4 Steeler defense, and brought that non sense to us. How did that turn out? And now we want to revisit that again? Why don't we use the blue print Spags used and find a coach who can execute that? or.. Just get an experienced DC who can lead this defense. No more newbies as coordinators on this team. 3 is enough for me. We hit on one, Spags, but the other two, Hufangel and Sheridan were Epic Failures.

Big_Pete
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
So basically a hybrid defense? 3-4 and 4-3 fronts? So... Tim Lewis all over again? Remember he came from a 3-4 Steeler defense, and brought that non sense to us. How did that turn out? And now we want to revisit that again? Why don't we use the blue print Spags used and find a coach who can execute that? or.. Just get an experienced DC who can lead this defense. No more newbies as coordinators on this team. 3 is enough for me. We hit on one, Spags, but the other two, Hufangel and Sheridan were Epic Failures.

I was thinking more along the lines of what teams like the Patriots and Ravens have done with various combinations of the two. The key though is to get quality guys up front.

I agree on needing a vet DC though

touchdownmaker
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I feel the same way. There were better TE on the board when we picked, IMHO. Nelson and Ingram were still on the board when Reese took Beckum. It appears that they wanted him to play teh H-back role, but they never really put plays in for it. I think Beckum can turn into a poor man's Chris Cooley, or Dallas Clark, but he needs the OC to add that into the game plan. It was only his first year so I hope he improves and the OC adds some plays in for him, aside for the lame H-Back screen.

Forenci
01-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Earl Thomas just declared for the NFL draft which excites me as a Giants fan. I think we're kind of in no mans land in terms of where we're drafting for the needs we have right now (DT, MLB, S primarily) but if Thomas is on the board at our pick I'd absolutely love to bring him in.

He's more a pure free safety, and probably isn't big enough to play strong safety but I would love to have him. I think the idea Kenny can't play strong safety and still be a pro bowl type player are overblown too. We honestly don't really know.

I think an Earl Thomas/Kenny Phillips safety tandem would be electric. Both guys have fantastic range and would cover a lot of ground for us in addition to being ball hawks.

Right now pre-senior bowl, pre-combine my number one guy who I want in the first is Earl Thomas.

BaLLiN
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Earl Thomas just declared for the NFL draft which excites me as a Giants fan. I think we're kind of in no mans land in terms of where we're drafting for the needs we have right now (DT, MLB, S primarily) but if Thomas is on the board at our pick I'd absolutely love to bring him in.

He's more a pure free safety, and probably isn't big enough to play strong safety but I would love to have him. I think the idea Kenny can't play strong safety and still be a pro bowl type player are overblown too. We honestly don't really know.

I think an Earl Thomas/Kenny Phillips safety tandem would be electric. Both guys have fantastic range and would cover a lot of ground for us in addition to being ball hawks.

Right now pre-senior bowl, pre-combine my number one guy who I want in the first is Earl Thomas.

id put his value at 20-25, i dont think id be bad if we picked him at 15 but i think we can manage to trade down and still get him. A risk, but a risk that saves value.

Forenci
01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
id put his value at 20-25, i dont think id be bad if we picked him at 15 but i think we can manage to trade down and still get him. A risk, but a risk that saves value.

I don't think so personally. I think he'll be a top 15 pick and if we can get at 16 I'd be extremely excited.

BaLLiN
01-09-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't think so personally. I think he'll be a top 15 pick and if we can get at 16 I'd be extremely excited.

we pick at 15 im pretty sure

Forenci
01-09-2010, 10:39 AM
we pick at 15 im pretty sure

Oh haha, I thought we were 16 for whatever reason. Either way, he'll probably be the best value on the board and if you listen to a lot of other people who pick after us they all want Thomas and I can't blame them.

Unless someone big falls on the board like CJ Spiller or Rolando McClain (we'd still have to trade up, even if he did fall a bit) then I'm pushing for Thomas. I don't see a DT where we pick that'd be worth it, and trading down is always a difficult thing to do, not to mention EVERYONE wants to trade down on draft day making it that much harder.

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh haha, I thought we were 16 for whatever reason. Either way, he'll probably be the best value on the board and if you listen to a lot of other people who pick after us they all want Thomas and I can't blame them.

Unless someone big falls on the board like CJ Spiller or Rolando McClain (we'd still have to trade up, even if he did fall a bit) then I'm pushing for Thomas. I don't see a DT where we pick that'd be worth it, and trading down is always a difficult thing to do, not to mention EVERYONE wants to trade down on draft day making it that much harder.

very true, i do agree i wouldn't trade up in this draft, there is alot of talent all over the place especially with all the underclassmen, but if we do trade down like 5 picks with someone with very high value we could net a 2nd or 3rd which would be a great difference for us.

How you see the DT's is how im starting to feel, almost all the DT's in this draft seem to be missing a big part of their game, and possibly be called "one dimensional". That is a huge negative and why i dont want a DT in the first anymore.

What really would be best for us is to part ways with jacobs, he is a great person, he just is too injury prone with his size and running style, and waits too much on holes that wont always come. Andre Brown tore his ACL so we don't know whats happening there.

Apparently from another thread in the Pro Football section Jacobs is worth a mid to late 2nd, but he's really more like a 3rd but lets say early 3rd. And then most likely we will have an opportunity to trade down, and i trust in Jerry, we probably net a 2nd to trade down 5 or so spaces with a team that is desperate.

so...

1. (around 20-25) Earl Thomas S Texas
Smallish frame, lacks height and weight is average, incredible instincts and has a great closing burst with very good angles. Very high upside, but might be hard to matchup against taller recievers and especially TE's.

2. (most likely have to trade up, spend a 4th) Brandon Spikes ILB Florida
Competitve, nasty, plays with fiery emotion, may be more athletic than most think, was part of a complex defense, could be a great MLB for us (maybe even a SAM if we trust in Goff).

2.(around 20-25) Dan Williams NT Tennessee
Gained a great deal of value this year after being thought as a mid-late rounder, although he can rush the passer, he has very limited technique and is more one dimensional towards the run than you may like. We NEED a run stuffer who can take on multiple blockers, with Spikes and Williams our run defense in the middle could be solidified.

3.(early-ish) Ryan Matthews RB Fresno state.
Tough runner, makes something out of nothing and often, athletic, seems to have a good overall game.

3. Ciron Black RT LSU
We could go Tennant here, but there must be a reason why we moved Koets to center and I believe Black could take over the RT position while McKenzie routinely does average.

5. Walter Thurmond III DB Oregon
With Byrd's emergence, it gives belief that Thurmond can be a playmaker much like his previous teammate. I don't believe Ross will disappoint, i think he reemerges as a great corner and allows a rotation, Thurmond could be a good nickel-dime corner and now we have 5 good corners (web, thomas, ross, johnson, thurmond) and versatility.

6. Rashawn Jackson FB Virginia
i love me some hedgecock, but he is very one dimensional and hardly a threat whatsoever, Jackson is a very versatile player at the FB position and can give us more than 3 yards on those FB out plays.

7. Jeremy Boone P Penn State
Feagles gave us many years of great punting, but he just can't get any distance it seems and he'll probably retire anyway

bigbluedefense
01-11-2010, 01:10 PM
After watching McClain play against Texas, I don't know if its a guarantee that the guy is a top 10 pick.

Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVE the guy, but he's not as fast as I think he's being estimated as. He runs like a 4.75 to me, maybe even a 4.8.

He's not a 4.6 guy. And if he runs a 4.75, that could make him fall to us at 15. One can only hope.

Also, I don't think theres much of a difference physically between Spikes and McClain. Both grade out similarly to me on the field. The advantage McClain has to me is his leadership ability and his ability to line guys up. He does that better than Spikes. But on the field play, you can make a strong argument that Spikes is just as nice.

McClain is clearly bigger and stronger, so what I mean by that is on the field, both play in the same mold and I see similar production from the 2.

BaLLiN
01-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I agree^^^ but feel Rolando is more athletically gifted as well.

With all the underclassmen talent coming in, we need to trade this pick down, even if it is McClain, because we can get a ridiculous amount of value out of it. This draft is going to be one of the best in a while despite the weak QB class.

If we trade down with McClain on the line, we're talking future 1st rounder and a mid round pick, thats big. And now would also be the time to get rid of Jacobs or Osi, who seem to be declining on their careers, because of all the talent it pushes other first round prospects into later rounds.

McClain falls to us, hypothetically because another player who is highly regarded is bound to fall as well, Everyone knows we need a MLB, and if hes there people should have to give extra value because we can just take him and look like geniuses.

Trade the rights to pick #15 for a 20-25 pick for a future 1st, and a 3rd. Previous to the draft we trade away one of our declining players, Jacobs nets us an early third/late 2nd. Osi nets us a 1st, 3rd/4th.

Trading Osi:

1a.(and future)
1b.
3a.
3b.

Trade Jacobs

1. (and future)
2a.
2b.

Not saying its going to happen because it 95% wont, but If we trade Jacobs or Osi it might really help us. It provides extra picks (that are pretty high) that the DC we hire can use to fit his system, and for our OC (if we get one)

OSUGiants17
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
My top 5 big board at this point:
1. Rolando McClain
2. Earl Thomas
3. Greg Hardy
4. Taylor Mays
5. Brandon Spikes(if we trade down, would be a reach if we don't)