PDA

View Full Version : Fictional General Manager Q and A

BlindSite
05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
So the premise for this thread is basically for the faithful to ask opposing team's fans questions about their team and to clarify your team's movements and actions this offseason.

I know there's still some minor confusion regarding other teams movements and this was a lot of fun on some other boards.

Post questions you've seen asked and answered (or answered incorrectly) with what you feel the correct answer is or should be. Also, once answered, raise something that's been peaking your curiosity.

To get the ball rollin'

What is the Panthers current standing on the Julius Peppers situation?:
As of right now, Julius is a part of the Panthers, his reluctance to sign his tender is understandable. He was offered a contract before the 2008 season began that would've made him the highest paid defensive end in football. As of this moment there have not been any major trade offers to come from his agent Carl Carey, we expect him to join the team during the Training camp program.

Why did the team feel necessary to trade away yet another first round pick to take Everette Brown?:
Brown was a guy our scouts believed had talent that hasn't come out in a draft class for quite some time. The team had him rated as a top 20 talent and felt that where he could be acquired was excellent value. Though value at the end position could've been attained with a first in next year's draft the team felt that having a talented rusher now, especially with Peppers still not having signed his tender was more pertinent than waiting.

What do you feel the team's biggest weakness is heading into the 09/10 season?
Without doubt it's quality depth along the lines. There's some situational and rotational defensive tackles and ends that have played well in the past for the team, but there's no discernable backup who can come in and contribute as well as the starting groups. The offensive line lost it's key backups at all major positions, which is why it was addressed heavily in the draft.

There's also a certain amount of uncertainty reguarding the QB position, Delhomme was extended to ensure the team had a measure of security heading into the future if certain players don't develop as expected. Matt Moore will be fully evaluated this offseason and likely given extra playing time in the preseason to guage his future with the team.

Questions for other teams:

NYJ: Will Sanchez be the starting quarterback on the opening day of the season? If so how big do you feel the learning curb will be within your offense?

Raiders: How much longer will JaMarcus Russel be given to come into his own as a starter?

Tampa Bay: With three talented quarterbacks on the roster how long into the next season will it be before Freeman is given a start should McCown or Leftwich falter?

San Diego: After the struggles LT had last year staying healthy and the ability of Rivers to carry the team offensively will we see a shift in the design of the offense more away from LT as the centre point to a more balanced or even, pass orientated attack?

Minnesota: In light of recent speculation what do you feel the liklihood of Brett Favre becoming a Viking is given his comments and the Vikings inability to find a top tier signal caller this offseason.

New England: With the return of Brady but the loss of Coordinator Josh McDaniels, will there be a return to the 07 form of the offense, or will it take a different approach under the new coordinator?

Atlanta: The playoffs showed some weaknesses in the team's offensive unit and it's likely that teams will be more ready to face White, Turner and Ryan after having 16 games to study the trio more closely what, if anything will be done to ensure Ryan doesn't regress and the offense continues to be effective?

Tenneessee: What is being done about the future of the QB position? What are we likely to see done with Vince Young?

Arizona: See above, replace Leinart for Young?

Arizona #2: With two disgruntled players in the lineup on both sides of the ball are we likely to see any player movement for the right offer, or contractual movements in any form of a pay bump for either player?

Go forth and dicuss

HawkeyeFan
05-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Carolina, what's going to happen with Godfrey this season, he still penciled in as Free Safety starter?

BlindSite
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Carolina, what's going to happen with Godfrey this season, he still penciled in as Free Safety starter?

Godfrey did some nice things for us last year, his time spent in college as a cornerback gave him a good mind for how to play the free safety position. Under Trgovac's scheme the safety's more or less play a basic cover 2 splitting the field in half and going where needed. He showed good run support where needed and outside of the expected rookie mistakes now and then showed himself to have a bright future.

His love of learning and consistent will to get better and learn form his mistakes lead us to belive he'll be the starter for some time to come. There hasn't been a day in mini camp where he's gone to the secondary coach and D Coordinator for feeback, which is an excellent sign, he takes great pride in wearing Minter's #30.

We don't expect him to become an Ed Reed type roving interception machine or a Sean Taylor hitting machine, but he's a basic tackle here, tackle there good coverage FS. What Ron Meeks is going to do with him remains to be seen, but for now he's the unquestioned starter. A solid starter.

St Louis: What can we expect from Long in the coming season?

HawkeyeFan
05-05-2009, 09:35 PM
St Louis: What can we expect from Long in the coming season?

We expect Chris Long to show improvement and have a good season. Last year, his rookie season, he started out well and made promising progress as the season went on. About 3/4 of the way through, he did what all rookies do and hit a wall. He finished the season well and did about as good as you can ask from a rookie Defensive End.

This season however, he's been showing much improvement in practice, and is becoming a leader of this team. He's only in his second season, and he's more comfortable and ready than I've seen from a 2nd year player. He may not put up gigantic numbers, but look for a fine season from him. We have Spagnuolo coming over from the Giants, and as you can see from film, Justin Tuck is a monster up there, and we fully expect that Chris Long will be used in a similar type role. Some dropping into coverage, some movement across the line to keep the offense guessing, and a few other things.

All that said, as I stated, expect to see much improvement in Chris Longs game. Maybe not Pro Bowl improvement, or improvement that's going to label him a Top Defensive End, but improvement in his game that will lead up to those superior statuses.

BlindSite
05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
St Louis: What is the biggest shift you expect to see in the team as a result of Spagnuolo's methods?

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Carolina: How long do you think the Panthers should wait until replacing Jake Delhomme? Obviously he still has some years left but it's never too early to prepare, right?

HawkeyeFan
05-05-2009, 09:54 PM
St Louis: What is the biggest shift you expect to see in the team as a result of Spagnuolo's methods?

Attitude, great ethics, team work, intensity and results. We as an organization believe that this team isn't far from contending for the division. We have key positions filled up. When you have a Franchise running back, Quarterback, Center and Right Tackle. As well as a cornerstone defensive end. Why not us? Why not this year? Spagnuolo is a football man, and a damn good football coach who gets the best out of his players. As you could see when he was up in New York; the Giants defense always went out, played there heart out and had a very good time doing it while being team oriented. That's what we fully expect to happen with Spagnuolo at the helm of this team, and it's showed already. The first two Mini-Camps have been full attendance, with no players missing. We thought it was real special during the first mini-camp when two players OJ Atowge, and Richie Incognito showed up while not under contract. I think that goes to show a lot in what the team believes and thinks of Spagnuolo. So as I previously said, we expect great attitude, great ethics, team work and team first mentality on this team, high intensity and superb results.

Carolina, how much does Delhome's success factor into next season?

Jensen
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Arizona: See above, replace Leinart for Young?
As of right now, we won't know much until Kurt Warner is gone. Obviously the club does not think too highly of Leinart right now since Warner was re-signed. IMO, he has been a major disappointment and I think management is starting to realize he may never be a franchise QB. To me, re-signing Warner was kind of like a slap in the face to Leinart telling him he better step it up or he might not have a future with this team. They haven't drafted another QB yet, so they still have some trust in him. The only way we will find out if he has it or not is if Warner gets injured.

Arizona #2: With two disgruntled players in the lineup on both sides of the ball are we likely to see any player movement for the right offer, or contractual movements in any form of a pay bump for either player?

Anquan Boldin will not get a new contract most likely. Since the draft is over now, I think it is even more unlikely that he will get traded. The Cardinals cut a few players with high salaries, which should be used to resign some of these players. Not only are Boldin and Dockett in contract disputes, but Dansby and Wilson also need new contracts. The only difference between Q and Dockett and Dansby and Wilson? Dansby and Wilson have gone about it professionally and have not bitched to the media and have showed up to minicamp and workouts. To me, those are the guys that should be resigned first. The guys who will show up no matter what, not the guys who report a fake injury just because they are making less money than they could be.

Back to the question, neither will be moved this season. The Cardinals just got to the Super Bowl game, they are not going to move one especially two of their key players. Kurt Warner loves having Q on the team, and he is trying to get him to stay. After this season, Boldin's future with the team will definitely be up in the air since he would only have one year left on his contract. Dockett definitely is not going anywhere. He is probably the Cardinals best defensive player, and the Cardinals won't get good value at this point in time. I think they both play the year out, and we'll see what happens next offseason.

I expect at least one of Q, Dockett, Dansby, and Wilson to get a contract extension before the season starts. If I had to guess, it would be Wilson or Dansby. Although it's been reported Dansby and the Cards are far off from a mutual contract agreement, I expect that they will get closer as time moves on.

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
No Green Bay questions. :(

Thumper
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Green Bay: How do you see the Packers making the transition to the 3-4.

(PS- I'm an Eagles fan not a Chargers fan)

YAYareaRB
Green Bay: Are you gonna ask Brady Poppinga to grow out his hair so your linebacking core could look like the Hansens on steroids?

diabsoule
This thread eerily reminds me of playing D&D. I'm waiting on someone to come in and cast magic missile.

Strongside
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
No Green Bay questions. :(

GB: Why did you sign so many UDFA WR? Seems like you already have very, very good depth. And which WR will likely make the roster?

Strongside
05-05-2009, 10:35 PM
DET: What can we expect out of Shaun Mcdonald? Do you think he will be more 2007 Shaun Mcdonald or 2008 Shaun Mcdonald?

DET: Are you thinking Larry Foote plays Mike or Sam?

CC.SD
05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
San Diego: After the struggles LT had last year staying healthy and the ability of Rivers to carry the team offensively will we see a shift in the design of the offense more away from LT as the centre point to a more balanced or even, pass orientated attack?

We've already seen it. If Ladainian comes back strong it might balance back out again but honestly the Bolts were very pass heavy last year due to their complete inability to pound the rock. Mike Goff got old very fast and there were some other assorted injuries, no push in the run game=Rivers shouldering the load.

Beans
05-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Minnesota: Do you feel that this is the season you'll be able to cast magic missile?

PalmerToCJ
05-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Dallas: What are your expectations from the receiving core post TO?

BlindSite
05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Carolina: How long do you think the Panthers should wait until replacing Jake Delhomme? Obviously he still has some years left but it's never too early to prepare, right?

Matt Moore appears to be the heir apparent and Delhomme's extension shows the team feels he can continue as a starter into his mid 30s. Realistically there is a need for an upgrade if the team is ever to chase down another superbowl appearance.

Delhomme is capable of winning games, but if there came an opportunity to pick up the future at the position the team will likely jump on it. Based on the class in the draft, where the panthers were picking and the free agent class an upgrade was not available with the ammunition the Panthers had.

There's a need for a future, just not the capacity to acquire that future.

Carolina, how much does Delhome's success factor into next season?

The team still plans to continue it's run first philosophy with the money and draft picks spent primarily on the running game the offense will run through the ground.

Delhomme still needs to produce, and contrary to popular belief he has been spreading the ball around under Davidson, with the receiving abilities of the backs and tight ends it's expected for a slightly shorter passing game to be implemented as opposed to the more coryell system the team has become known for. If Delhomme Falters the team will suffer, but hopefully the running game will produce with enough effect to continue the dominant offensive performance from last season.

Greenbay: What form of defensive backfield can we expect to see under the new scheme?

CC.SD
05-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Minnesota: Do you feel that this is the season you'll be able to cast magic missile?

and if we may, a follow up: Do you believe you will cast Magic Missile against the darkness?

RaiderNation
05-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Cincinnati: If Marvin Lewis fails to make the playoffs this year, will it be his last season?

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Green Bay: How do you see the Packers making the transition to the 3-4.

Do you want the extended version other than fairly well? Good cause that's what you're getting. Most teams have the bump they hit on the way to a successful 3-4 but I don't see Green Bay hitting as big as a bump. Obviously drafting Raji and Matthews helps a lot but we did have some players on our roster capable of switching such as Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett. The biggest thing we're gonna have to track is Kampman's progress as an OLB. The coaches have said they think he will thrive in it. Hawk and Barnett inside should be good fits but we don't actually know until we see it. There will be some difficulties and miscues but I think they transition better than other teams have. Not to mentions the coaching staff they brought in which may be the biggest component to the switch. If there's anyone that can set you on the right track in the transition to the 3-4, it's Dom Capers. He also brought Kevin Greene along with him to guide the OLB. I'm optimistic about the change and that seems to be the general consensus.

Green Bay: Are you gonna ask Brady Poppinga to grow out his hair so your linebacking core could look like the Hansens on steroids?

Yes. Aaron Kampman as well. Mmm bop bitches.

GB: Why did you sign so many UDFA WR? Seems like you already have very, very good depth. And which WR will likely make the roster?

I couldn't tell you why we brought in so many WR to be honest. My best guess would be for drills purposes during minicamp. Can't hurt if one overly impresses the coaching staff. The WR that has the best chance if any at all would be Jamarko Simmons out of Western Michigan, Greg Jennings' alumn. He seems to be head and shoulders over the other WR we brought in but like you said, with the depth it will be very unlikely. He could make the practice squad though and step in as our 5th if needed.

PalmerToCJ
05-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Cincinnati: If Marvin Lewis fails to make the playoffs this year, will it be his last season?

Depends on the circumstances. The fan base knows Marvin isn't perfect but a bulk of our anger and blame goes to Mike Brown. Marvin also has Brown's full support, as was shown after last season.

7-9 or better and I think he's a near lock to be here for the final season of his contract. Whether that's right or wrong, that's the way the owner views things. A decent amount of the problems we've had have been due to moves made my Brown. Marvin's hiring of Mike Zimmer as DC has been GREAT to this point.

In short, it would take another season like the last one for Marvin to get canned. I think it's fairly unlikely he's not our coach in 2010.

d34ng3l021
05-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Atlanta "The playoffs showed some weaknesses in the team's offensive unit and it's likely that teams will be more ready to face White, Turner and Ryan after having 16 games to study the trio more closely what, if anything will be done to ensure Ryan doesn't regress and the offense continues to be effective?"

There will be no sneaking up on teams next year and I am sure they have had plenty of time to study our offensive formations and trends. However, I am confident in the ability of our offense to continue working to get better; they were in the first year of a scheme run by Mularkey and with the work ethic of many of the members on offense, I am sure they will move closer towards perfection. And oh, how about adding a HoF TE, bitches!
-Tom Dmitroff

Caddy
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Tampa Bay: With three talented quarterbacks on the roster how long into the next season will it be before Freeman is given a start should McCown or Leftwich falter?

Luke McCown is our #1 going into training camp and I expect him to keep that title for the majority of the team. We are coming off a 9-7 season and I fully expect Luke to give this team the option at QB to keep us competitive throughout the season. It is our goal to let Josh absorb as much as he can in his first season. We don't want to throw him out there before he is ready. If he gets through camp and we find out that he is ready game #1 we might consider it. But at this stage I expect to see McCown under center for the majority of the season.

Sniper
05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Philadelphia- How were you able to pwn the draft so badly?

Gay Ork Wang
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Its just Karma, Philly never ends up winning a Superbowl

tjsunstein
05-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Come back in 3 years, atleast. Remember the Cowboys looked good on paper too.

MetSox17
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Cincinnati- Since when do you have a clue on how to draft?

Mr. Hero
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Jerry Reese's mojo has rubbed off on the iggles.

RaiderNation
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Everyone- Why do you guys hate the raiders and dont ask any fictional q's :(

Sniper
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Oakland- How come no one had the presence of mind to kill Al Davis when he thought taking DHB ahead of Crabtree was a good idea?

RaiderNation
05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Oakland- How come no one had the presence of mind to kill Al Davis when he thought taking DHB ahead of Crabtree was a good idea?

Because Al Davis is allready dead.
The reason the Raiders took DHB is because we have no real deep threat and the raiders are going to run it, run it some more, then throw deep. I wanted Crabtree more but in some ways it makes sense. Of course we could easly traded down and took him in the late teens or 20's but the Raiders have never traded down in the 1st round I believe

Race for the Heisman
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM

You've got it wrong. Al Davis has spent the better part of the last decade lulling the NFL into a false sense of security, just for the moment when Oakland breaks out and... moves to Los Angeles! We will get trounced this year due to having to play the AFC North and the NFC East. Everyone will declare Russell a bust, further lowering expectations. The Heyward-Bey and Michael Mitchell picks just add to the misery. The populace will be so down on the team that the move to L.A. will be facilitated with minimal commotion and then you will see the true genius of Al Davis!

YAYareaRB
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM

San Francisco - It's just natural for us to hate you!

Paranoidmoonduck
05-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Raiders: How much longer will JaMarcus Russel be given to come into his own as a starter?

This is a bit hard to gauge. Al Davis' track record with young quarterbacks is not long and storied. How long Russell's leash is depends on how things go around him. Al Davis is paying him enough to firmly believe he can become a great player (and he'll stick by for the short term, as he tends to do with players), but if Tom Cable or whoever winds up replacing him has some success and Russell is still dragging his feet in his development, Oakland will take some more drastic steps.

I believe that Jeff Garcia was brought in to make an example for Russell. Garcia is notoriously one of the hardest working quarterbacks in the league. I don't really see Russell being unseated by Garcia this year though (something drastic could happen, but failing that Russell should be the guy all year). However, bringing in vet quarterbacks is basically Al Davis' favorite hobby. The next well-known veteran quarterback Al Davis brings in won't be to help Russell, it will likely be to replace him.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Atlanta: The playoffs showed some weaknesses in the team's offensive unit and it's likely that teams will be more ready to face White, Turner and Ryan after having 16 games to study the trio more closely what, if anything will be done to ensure Ryan doesn't regress and the offense continues to be effective?

That was a sub par game from both Ryan and Turner. And we still put up 24. Offense isn't going to be a concern. Ryan seems extremely unlikely to regress as it is, but with an Top 10 WR, Top TE, and other threats like Michael Jenkins and Harry Douglas as his targets, make it even less likely. Even if he does, we have an OL that loves to run-block (and a crushing FB in Ovie Mughelli) and two more than capable backs in Turner and Norwood. And of course in year 2, we will have the ability to open up the playbook even more to stuff that we didn't show last year. I don't care how long someone has had to prepare or study, if they find a way to shut down that? God bless.

M.O.T.H.
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Dallas: What are your expectations from the receiving core post TO?

A big ole question mark right now. The starter opposite Roy Williams isnt even set in stone yet. Miles has certainly shown flashes and he has some impressive measurables. Crayton is the most experienced and has just been a solid 2/3 guy for us for a while...and then there is Sam Hurd, who was on the fast track to breaking out a year ago before, getting injured for the year. Blocking, hands, route running...Hurd is best on the team in all of those. While he has a good body and is deceptively fast...he doesnt have the same measurables Miles Austin posseses. So, Miles has an edge over the rest and should be winning that #2 job. I could see any of the three winning it though, in what looks like an open three way competition heading into camp. Again Austin should win but, the door is open.

Without T.O., we'll be looking at more of an open offense. No longer obligated to get T.O. the ball, even when blanketed. We should see it spread around more. The running game should also see a move more to the forefront. So really, what I'm getting at is that there shouldnt be a whole lot of pressure on our young receiving core. There are a plethera of guys who can contribute and there should be plenty of opportunties. I think people are a little too worried with our core receivers to be honest. We will be utilizing the running game more and all three of our backs and both tight ends are all receiving threats as well. Felix Jones and Martellus Bennett will both be used in the slot at times. Romo and Garrett still have a lot of weapons to work with.

As for actual numbers...again, I think that football will find a lot of hands this year. Witten and Williams are really the only realistic shot they have at having 1,000 yard receivers. Whoever that #2 receiver is, isn't going to need to put up exceptional numbers for the offense to thrive. Just play their role...there shouldnt be a lot of pressure on this player, really. I really dont expect there to be a problem...there is talent at the position, albeit unproven talent but, I like what I see in our guys...and even though, I dont think Roy Williams is a superstar, for sure #1 guy, I think he's going to help us in a lot of ways. Especially in the red zone. Dallas could use a more balanced attack, and we have more than enough talent, spread out throughout the offense to have a top unit once again. There are more important things to worry about however, like our offensive coordinator, Jason Garrett, who has been awful in the role and our offensive line, who were just flat out dreadful at times last season. But the potential is certainly there for them to be a very, very good offensive team.

Bengalsrocket
05-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Cincinnati- Since when do you have a clue on how to draft?

I know this is mostly a joke, but I'd like throw a few words about this subject on these forums anyways.

Since Marvin Lewis got here, we've only ever had 1 "bad" draft if you look solely at talent. Outside of 2004 where we basically have 1 back up player left from that draft, he's been above average on every other draft. And even in the 2004 Draft, Chris Perry had a monster rookie year for splitting time with Rudi, but he's lost something since that injury.

in 2005 we drafted David Pollack and Odell Thurman. Pollack had that neck injury and is unable to play now. Meanwhile Odell was, in my opinion, unfairly treated by Commissioner Goodell. However, both players had tremendous upside and are one of the big reason's why our defense has been pretty laughable for the last 3-4 years.

in 2006 we had some solid players too. Joseph has yet to prove if he's a bust or not, but I think most Bengals fans are optimistic from what we've seen on the field. Meanwhile Whitworth is arguably our best offensive linemen. Frostee Ruckers is good depth, Peko is a solid starting DT for us and Ahmad Brooks showed a lot of promise for awhile there.

in 2007 we got Leon Hall who has been a beast for us. Kenny Irons got screwed by an injury. Marvin white is good depth / maybe even a starter one day. And Chinedum and Ndukwe is like the defensive version of TJ houshmandzadeh in regards to the draft (or so, us bengals fans like to believe).

Not going to go over 2008 and 2009 because we've yet to really see those players, plus it should be fresh in your mind. All I'll say is this: The reason we took so many WR's in 2008 is because we thought both Chad and TJ were going to be gone this time of the year and had to prepare for that, otherwise it would have been a slightly more balanced draft.

in closing, I'd say Cincinnati has actually been pretty good at drafting since Marvin showed up. Sure, we have a small scouting department, so sometimes we get caught up in taking high profile players rather than high upside players, but that can happen to a lot of smaller market teams. And unfortunately we've been extremely unlucky with high draft picks getting injured early in their careers, some of which never bounce back.

The Legend
05-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Any Raiders fans want to pay me to kidnap Al Davis? I'm a kidnapper in my night job. I put on my Pj's goto bed and the next thing I know I'm a kidnapper. Kind of scary some nights.

BlindSite
05-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Need more questions damnit

HawkeyeFan
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Seattle, how's the buzz around there with Jim Mora Jr., at the helm?

BlindSite
05-07-2009, 03:34 AM
I forgot they hired him, prepare for a complete lack of discipline.

Gay Ork Wang
05-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Atlanta: How do you think the Secondary is gonna hold up this year? It seems like one if not the biggest weakness of the team.

Bills: How do you like the TO signing? What kind of impact do you expect?

Jets: What do you think about the WR Corps?

TimD
05-07-2009, 07:54 AM
NYJ: Will Sanchez be the starting quarterback on the opening day of the season? If so how big do you feel the learning curb will be within your offense?

At this point ESPN and the NY Media are making it seem like Sanchez is the starting QB, but that is not yet the case. Even though we traded up to take Sanchez that does not mean that Clemens will not get the starting job. Clemens was a 2nd rounder with an excellent resume out of Oregon and he's been learning this offense, mostly from the sidelines, for about 3 years now. If Clemens performs well in training camp and the preseason, and shows he is a capable ball manager, he may get the nod opening day.

With that being said, I do think Sanchez is something special. He's already made a name for himself as a leader and a great personality plus the NY media loves him. If Clemens does not prove to Rex that he can't handle the starting job before the season then Sanchez may get to start from week 1. If Sanchez can prove that he can keep the ball safe as well as give our offense confidence I think he has a great chance to be the starter.

So, if Sanchez gets to start that means he can handle our offense. Of course we're not going to be as complex as Schottenheimer may want to be, but he had to deal with that last year when Favre was brought in, so he definitely knows what he's doing. Plus when you have a strong offensive line that allows a QB to feel more comfortable. He'll most likely have a solid ground game with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and Shonn Greene which always helps a young QB. Not having an elite WR unit will hurt him, but it is not like he won't have options. Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, and Leon Washington are 3 proven targets in the passing game. Plus Chansi Stuckey is developing into a solid slot/#3 receiver. After those 4 there are some talented guys who all have the potential to succeed, and Rex has praised them greatly thus far. David Clowney (freakish speed/really polished his route running) and Brad Smith (pure athlete who has been learning the position and may be ready to break out) are competing for a #2 spot. And there is always a possibility that we can pick up a vet receiver to provide a "go-to" target for our QB.

My point is that whoever our QB is, he will be put in a position where he can definitely have success.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Atlanta: How do you think the Secondary is gonna hold up this year? It seems like one if not the biggest weakness of the team.

I'm a definitely nervous about that area. FS Erik Coleman really flew under the radar for us. He's not amazing or anything like that, but he's a real solid, good player. Our FO seems to have confidence at William Moore at SS. Chris Houston is going to be our #1. He was real good at times last year, and real bad at others. He certainly has the tools. Chevis Jackson was real good in nickel duties last year. Chris Owens has to figure to get some major playing time after being a third rounder. Then it's just a handful of guys like Von Hutchins and William Middleton battling it out for the other spots. It's definitely our biggest weakness. I'm uneasy about it for sure.

Gay Ork Wang
05-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm a definitely nervous about that area. FS Erik Coleman really flew under the radar for us. He's not amazing or anything like that, but he's a real solid, good player. Our FO seems to have confidence at William Moore at SS. Chris Houston is going to be our #1. He was real good at times last year, and real bad at others. He certainly has the tools. Chevis Jackson was real good in nickel duties last year. Chris Owens has to figure to get some major playing time after being a third rounder. Then it's just a handful of guys like Von Hutchins and William Middleton battling it out for the other spots. It's definitely our biggest weakness. I'm uneasy about it for sure.
who is going to be the #2 then? Chevis moving to #2?

FlyingElvis
05-07-2009, 03:17 PM
New England: With the return of Brady but the loss of Coordinator Josh McDaniels, will there be a return to the 07 form of the offense, or will it take a different approach under the new coordinator?

Josh performed well for us and we appreciate his efforts and wish him the best in Denver.

Over the years several offensive coaches have moved on to positions with other franchises and there has been little drop off in the level of play offensively. We expect each player to do their job and have the utmost faith in Tom's abillity to lead the team, as well as his return to pro-bowl form.

Bill has lead the offense in the past and will do so again if necessary - which may be the case since there is still no OC listed. The approach is always based on utilizing the personnel available in a manner that gives the team the best chance to win. That will not change as long as Coach Belichick is patrolling the sidelines in crummy looking, cut-off hoodies.

In short, it is what it is.

Detroit: Please give a realistic timetable for the first start of Matt Stafford. Will Culpepper really be starting game one, or do you expect to see the #1 overall pick at the helm?

Jacksonville: What will the starting O-line look like this season?

ATLDirtyBirds
05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
who is going to be the #2 then? Chevis moving to #2?

I think Houston being #1 is the only thing set in stone as far as the CB position goes. We've got a ton of competition at the position, and Dimitroff has stressed an open competition. According to him the main reasons for drafting Owens and Middleton is guys who are going to be flying around the field. Chevis just isn't that type of guy with his lack of long speed. My guess is that he would stay at nickel because of it. If I had to venture my best guess our 5 CBs would be:

1. Chris Houston
2. Chris Owens
3. Chevis Jackson
4. Von Hutchins
5. William Middleton

DoughBoy
05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
49ers Fans- What happend to Kentwam Balmer?

Gay Ork Wang
05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I think Houston being #1 is the only thing set in stone as far as the CB position goes. We've got a ton of competition at the position, and Dimitroff has stressed an open competition. According to him the main reasons for drafting Owens and Middleton is guys who are going to be flying around the field. Chevis just isn't that type of guy with his lack of long speed. My guess is that he would stay at nickel because of it. If I had to venture my best guess our 5 CBs would be:

1. Chris Houston
2. Chris Owens
3. Chevis Jackson
4. Von Hutchins
5. William Middleton
Will it be more of a Cover 2/zone heavy or a man coverage scheme

Borat
05-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Nothing. He sucked before and he sucks now. End.

DoughBoy
05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Lol, that was straight and to the point..

Borat
05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Lol, that was straight and to the point..

Funny, that's also the extent of his passrush moves

ATLDirtyBirds
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Will it be more of a Cover 2/zone heavy or a man coverage scheme

Played more of a Cover 2 type of defense last year, but I'm thinking this year is a more man oriented with 2 deep S. I wasn't a fan of our defense last year, but Smith/D have talked about the fact that we didn't have the pieces we needed to be aggressive like Smith wanted to be. Now that we do, and with our two likely starting corners being man-to-man guys (Houston and Owens), I'm thinking we move away from the zone stuff. I know I'm talking a lot about a guy who was just a third rounder, but I think he's going to start and play an important role. And here is a quote on him:

Falcons coach Mike Smith was impressed with Owens’ man-to-man coverage skills.

“He knew from watching the tape and even in high school, all I did was play man to man,” Owens said. “I’m skilled at that technique.”

Brent
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
He sat on the bench behind Justin Smith, Sopo and McDonald. I am starting to wonder if people are expecting rookies to like play like vets from day one.

GB12
05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Your sig would be pretty good if the Ram was made by Ford and not Dodge. It's kind of lame though since it's not.

LonghornsLegend
05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
San Diego:

Is Gartrell Johnson going to get a chance to be "the guy" at any point, or is he drafted to be more of a lead blocker? Does the team think he has a shot to every carry the ball 15 time a game at some point, or is the jury still out on that?

Cincinnati:

Is there going to be a full RBBC with Benson and Scott? Or does the team plan on giving Benson 20 or so carries with sprinkles of Leonard and Scott to give him a breather? Is there someone within that thinks Scott is talented enough to start the season getting at least 10 carries or is he strictly a back-up?

HawkeyeFan
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Your sig would be pretty good if the Ram was made by Ford and not Dodge. It's kind of lame though since it's not.
It's the thought that counts, right? :(

Bengalsrocket
05-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Cincinnati:

Is there going to be a full RBBC with Benson and Scott? Or does the team plan on giving Benson 20 or so carries with sprinkles of Leonard and Scott to give him a breather? Is there someone within that thinks Scott is talented enough to start the season getting at least 10 carries or is he strictly a back-up?

Cincinnati has been trying to do RBBC since Rudi's 2nd or 3rd year. The problem is that injuries have plagued our RB's forever. It's to early to tell on how Scott will impact the roster, but I would assume we'll try to get him as involved as soon as possible.

I assume we are going to try and pound the rock as much as possible this year (That is Marvin's style, despite how pass-happy we get at times). Depending on who wins the 2nd job I'd expect Leonard or Scott to see a lot of action.

D-Rod
05-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Rams:

Why on earth would you just give away Leonard for a backup DT nobody who's been cut several times..?

Very strange trade for the Rams. On the other hand, the Bengals continue to have what seems to be a very good offseason.

Rob S
05-08-2009, 03:17 PM

For one year: love it. I really do feel it was a marriage of desperation. Ralph Wilson really wants to make the playoffs this year and TO makes us instantly better on offense. Not only because of his production (which should be very good), but he will also free up Lee Evans who is one of the more talented WR in the entire NFL. As for TO, I think he came to Buffalo as a one year only thing. He want to show he can behave and still be a top WR and hopefully fool another big market team into a big contract. Bills are fine with that, any more than 1 year with TO is asking for disaster........and if disaster happens to strike mid season this year, well, he can just be cut or at worst he is gone come the end of the season.

stephenson86
05-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Tenneessee: What is being done about the future of the QB position? What are we likely to see done with Vince Young?

He is officially the back-up to Kerry Collins and will be until he can prove he is good enough to take back the reigns. When his contract is up whether we resign him depends entirely on what else is the on the roster. I can see us going with him again because if he gets it together he can be a weapon. But right now its Collins.

Crickett
05-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I am starting to wonder if people are expecting rookies to like play like vets from day one.

Yes. They are.

GB12
05-08-2009, 03:56 PM

For one year: love it. I really do feel it was a marriage of desperation. Ralph Wilson really wants to make the playoffs this year and TO makes us instantly better on offense. Not only because of his production (which should be very good), but he will also free up Lee Evans who is one of the more talented WR in the entire NFL. As for TO, I think he came to Buffalo as a one year only thing. He want to show he can behave and still be a top WR and hopefully fool another big market team into a big contract. Bills are fine with that, any more than 1 year with TO is asking for disaster........and if disaster happens to strike mid season this year, well, he can just be cut or at worst he is gone come the end of the season.
If nothing else, he brings a lot of media attention to the Bills. And Buffalo is one of the teams that could actually use that.

brat316
05-08-2009, 04:23 PM
good thread

LonghornsLegend
05-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Rams:

Why on earth would you just give away Leonard for a backup DT nobody who's been cut several times..?

Very strange trade for the Rams. On the other hand, the Bengals continue to have what seems to be a very good offseason.

What makes you think Leonard is worth that much more then what they got? Leonard has consistently been hurt and for all we know he was about to be cut, it's not very likely that either player is going to make a difference one way or another so it doesn't even matter.

stephenson86
05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Bengals fans, what do you think is going to happen with Levi Jones now hes been cut? what was up with this guy he was immense a few seasons back hes not exactly old. what happened?

DoughBoy
05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Dolphins Fans what are you guys expecting from Ted Ginn and Chad Henne this year?

brat316
05-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Whats gonna happen with Thomas Decoud? Any chance he beats out Moore.

SuperMcGee
05-08-2009, 05:06 PM

1. People actually renewed thier tickets. Success achieved already.
2. People are still talking about a win-now mentality after Peters left, so it softened up that situation some.
3. He really should help us. A lot. When's the last time we had two good receivers? Owens' game fits perfectly as to what we needed, also. Hardy obviously needs more time and Johnson will get his time as he works his way up. Evans - Owens - Reed should be great.

More interesting Bills questions would be focused on Fred Jackson (contract, playing time, sexiness) and our comfort level with switching Butler, who definitely did not need to be replaced, over to tackle.

johbur
05-09-2009, 04:55 AM

The main reason so many UDFA were signed at WR was for the Rookie Only minicamp. A QB was signed, even though we have three young QBs already. There were no WR drafted this year, so for the rooks to run the offensive drills, they brought in a lot of camp fodder. Jamarko Simmons (6'2", 230#) of WMU could end up on the roster, but he won't take a roster spot from a current WR. Instead he'll take a spot from another UDFA, #3 TE Tory Humphrey and will be an H-Back and also play WR in the red zone with Ruvell Martin, 6'4", 220# or Jordy Nelson, 6'3", 217#. He's humble too: "I always look at myself having the hands of Larry Fitzgerald or, a guy I've trained with, Greg Jennings," Simmons said. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRVUWsyOop8&feature=related) :rolleyes:

BEARS:
How does Cutler's game mesh with the offense? He's not a game manager, he's a "gunslinger" (didn't want to say it, but I've heard that term for so many years with Favre it's nice to pummel another team with that moniker).

VIKINGS:
Any word on the status of the Juicer Brothers, Pat and Kevin? With the lawsuits in place, do you think they'll be able to not be suspended? Will Harvin receive snaps at QB/Wildcat?
Also, were those magic missiles cast on the love boat? ;D

Michigan
05-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Detroit: Please give a realistic timetable for the first start of Matt Stafford. Will Culpepper really be starting game one, or do you expect to see the #1 overall pick at the helm?

To quote Martin Mayhew:
"It's May," general manager Martin Mayhew said. "We've got plenty of time to figure all that out. Daunte is a guy who's a vet. He's been around. He's a pro, and I trust Daunte. He's got a lot of ability, and I anticipate that if we had something to do today, Daunte would be the guy today. But we've got a lot of time to work, and we'll see how it goes."

IMO, Culpepper will definitely be starting game one. He was really put into a tough situation last year; he had 1) Just retired, 2) Let his weight balloon to 290 lbs, 3) Had only 1 week to learn the playbook before his first start, and 4) Played behind the Lions OL. Culpepper has shed 30 lbs this offseason and is now playing for the offensive coordinator that he played for during his record setting 2004 season, Scott Linehan.

I'm not saying Culpepper willll be a pro-bowler or even an above average starter, but I believe he'll play well enough that we won't have to see a sniff of Stafford for the first half of the season. Once we get to week 9/10, when the Lions should be well out of the playoff hunt, we'll probably start seeing some Stafford.

Cleveland: Assess your quarterback situation.

Gay Ork Wang
05-09-2009, 06:09 AM
BEARS:
How does Cutler's game mesh with the offense? He's not a game manager, he's a "gunslinger" (didn't want to say it, but I've heard that term for so many years with Favre it's nice to pummel another team with that moniker).

I believe it fits very well. The Bears are a run first team but they need someone to stretch the field, keep defenses honest. They set up the Playaction with the run. Cutler is pretty used to playactions and Bootlegs and his gunslinger mentality might help to stretch the field to hit the speedy Hester or Greg Olsen. I think he is a great fit for the Bears and the system we have right now

Giants:What are your thoughts on the WR position?

TitanHope
05-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Eagles: As you may know, Cornelius Ingram is one badass motha' trucka'. How do you play on harnessing his greatness during his rookie season?

CC.SD
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM
San Diego:

Is Gartrell Johnson going to get a chance to be "the guy" at any point, or is he drafted to be more of a lead blocker? Does the team think he has a shot to every carry the ball 15 time a game at some point, or is the jury still out on that?

Word out of camp so far, obviously very early, is that Gartrell has brought more to the table than expected in terms of burst and cuts. Way too early to tell, but if he can bring the hammer like it seems he can, and Sproles is extended, the two of them could represent the post-Ladainian rushing attack and spare us a high draft pick.

He was definitely drafted as a downhill HB.

Sniper
05-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Eagles: As you may know, Cornelius Ingram is one badass motha' trucka'. How do you play on harnessing his greatness during his rookie season?

I...............................don't know. How does one harness the greatness of Cornelius Ingram? Is it possible? If his knee holds up, he'll kill it in this scheme. He's probably going to be the #2 TE to start but his potential blows Brent Celek's out of the water.

BlindSite
05-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I...............................don't know. How does one harness the greatness of Cornelius Ingram? Is it possible? If his knee holds up, he'll kill it in this scheme. He's probably going to be the #2 TE to start but his potential blows Brent Celek's out of the water.

I remember this discussion with Eagles fans a few years ago the Tight Ends names were different of course, but everyone said "young dude has potential" "incumbent won't hold down start" and he kind of did, till he retired.

Sniper
05-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I remember this discussion with Eagles fans a few years ago the Tight Ends names were different of course, but everyone said "young dude has potential" "incumbent won't hold down start" and he kind of did, till he retired.

Who said "incumbent won't hold down start"?

the decider13
05-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Any Broncos questions? We gettin no love :(

Sniper
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM

Denver- What was it like when your front office ripped the beating heart out of the Philadelphia Eagles' organization?

ZOMGZ 20K!

diabsoule
05-09-2009, 08:26 PM

You will go into the season with a surplus of running backs. Who do you think will make the final 53 and who do you think won't make the cut?

the decider13
05-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Sniper: It felt great to steal Brian Dawkins from you guys. I always so him as a career Eagle, and he was one of my favorite non-Broncos. Great to have him in orange and blue.

diabsoule: A few already got the axe...Selvin Young was released, and Tatum Bell was not re-signed. I couldn't be happier about getting rid of Bell. The only RBs currently on the roster are Moreno, Arrington, Buckhalter, Jordan, Kestahn Moore (UDFA) and Ryan Torain. They have Hillis listed as a FB on the official site.

I doubt Moore makes the team, and I could definately see Torain being let go. The guy is made of glass, he got injured in his only start last year. Arrington should contibute on special teams a lot, so he will probably make the cut. I'm unsure about Jordan though. He played for the pats last year, so there must be something there that McD likes.

Final cut: Moreno, Buckhalter, Arrington, Jordan

PalmerToCJ
05-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Bengals fans, what do you think is going to happen with Levi Jones now hes been cut? what was up with this guy he was immense a few seasons back hes not exactly old. what happened?

Someone will surely take the chance on him. He was an absolute stud in 2005, one of the best LT's in football hands down. He was injured in early 2006 and just hasn't been the same since. He has been injury plagued and unhappy here. A change of scenery will be good for him but I really don't see him overcoming his struggles of the past few seasons that much. Watching Jared Allen abuse him was just brutal.

Cincinnati:

As Rocket said, Marvin has always been trying for a 2 RB system. I think he really liked using Dillon and Rudi together. Then in 2005, Rudi and Perry were lethal together. Since, he's hoped for Perry to stay healthy... Then drafted Irons who was immediately hurt. Last year Perry looks good in preseason then bombs in the regular season (no room to run and couldn't hang onto the football).

For this years sake, I think Scott gets 5-10 carries. I don't see why they'd draft a guy with his concerns, at his age without planning on playing him immediately. Benson will surely get a bulk of the carries. For the #2 and #3 spots, I think Leonard/Dorsey/Watson/Scott battle it out with Leonard and Scott winning out.

Our RB spot is an iffy situation, I think it's almost a lock that we'll go RB in the 1st next year.

Brent
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Yes. They are.
Well, that's because people are getting more and more ridiculous with their views on rookies.

j05son
05-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Cleveland: Assess your quarterback situation.

The Browns have had a lot of questions and rumors circulating around the Quarterback position. The Browns were rumored to be interested in Mark Sanchez from Southern California days before the NFL Draft but ultimately acquired a 2 pick, 3 player deal which included QB Brett Ratliff via a draft day trade with the New York Jets which ultimately gave NYJ the right to draft Sanchez. Browns invited Graham Harrell to rookie minicamp and even though he left without a contract, Harrell was told to stay in shape and ready to play as he may be contacted at a later time. The Browns are looking into QB's but Ratliff and Harrell don't seem to be starting caliber which may suggest that the loser of the Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn competition will be traded.

Cleveland must feel comfortable that one of the two QB's could become the starter as they did pass on both Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman recently. Anderson looked brilliant in 2007 going to the Pro-Bowl after a monster year in which the offense took off. However, the 2008 season brought Derek back down to Earth as the offense was overall pathetic and Derek's subpar performance brought on many boos and "We Want Brady" cheers. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Brady Quinn appeared in 3 games but had to have season ending surgery on a finger in his throwing hand. Cleveland went through 4 QB's on the season losing Anderson, Quinn and Dorsey to injuries.

As per Cleveland tradition, a QB competition will again bring spring training and preseason controversy as with past battles of Detmer vs. Couch, Couch vs. Holcomb, Holcomb vs. Garcia, Dilfer vs. Frye, Frye vs. Anderson, and now Anderson vs. Quinn. Mangini doesn't tip his hand often so it's anyone's guess who the front runner really is. The fan base seemingly prefers Quinn to Anderson however ManKok will go with whomever they feel to be the best of the two.

XxXdragonXxX
05-10-2009, 01:00 AM

So far its very good. I dont think Seattle has been so excited about an offseason for a very long time.

dunagan15
05-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Whats gonna happen with Thomas Decoud? Any chance he beats out Moore.

Not sure. I feel that Smitty and TD really want Willy Mo to step up and start right away. When Milloy was out last year Decoud didnt even get the starting nod over Fudge so we will see.

Decoud has been solid as a special teamer but this will be his year and prolly his last to see if he can earn a starting spot but the chances are unlikely as I feel Willy Mo will be the starter considering his size and speed.

YAYareaRB
05-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Carolina Panthers: Where do you plan on using Everette Brown?

dunagan15
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM

On the ground gettin dominated by the Falcons O-line :)

HawkeyeFan
05-11-2009, 12:52 AM
<start sarcasm> No Rams love? Oh, that's cool you know... </end sarcasm>

BlindSite
05-11-2009, 02:37 AM

As it stands our starting defensive ends are Julius Peppers and Tyler Brayton. As is well known Brayton doesn't offer a tremendous amount in the pass rushing department and in the past a combination of players have subbed him to generate better rush. Charles Johnson proved particularly effective in this role. Brown's youth, energy and motor will demand playing time and he'll likely see his time filling in for Peppers or Brayton at defensive end. Due to his lack of size but excellent quickness it's feasible he stands up and rushes on certain plays, but for now he'll be a hand on the ground rusher. Something Meeks has had amazing success with in Indianapolis (Mathis and Freeney)

Cicero
05-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Dallas Cowboys: With Felix Jones returning from his injury, where does Tashard Choice fit into the picture, or does he? He looked great after Barber went down and I've always been a fan of his. Is he now in the mix to get some carries, or is he going to spend most his time on the bench like he did the first 12 weeks of the season?

Gay Ork Wang
05-11-2009, 06:29 AM
<start sarcasm> No Rams love? Oh, that's cool you know... </end sarcasm>
How is Carriker doing?

awfullyquiet
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I believe it fits very well. The Bears are a run first team but they need someone to stretch the field, keep defenses honest. They set up the Playaction with the run. Cutler is pretty used to playactions and Bootlegs and his gunslinger mentality might help to stretch the field to hit the speedy Hester or Greg Olsen. I think he is a great fit for the Bears and the system we have right now

not to mention a finesse for playing out of the shotgun that rex grossman was incapable of and that ron turner didn't feel comfortable throwing a less mobile kyle orton into. that said, i do believe that cutler will be on his feet (thank god), due to the fact he will not have over 600 attempts and will be playing behind arguebly a stronger offensive line and with significant run support, but as the fictional GM, i must implore you that this team is built around our defense, Cutler is just a piece of the pie. This is something he hasn't been accustomed to since his time in the league of having someone else out there capable of making plays to win the game as the experienced group of defenders have.

New England: With the addition of Fred Taylor as a theorized stop-gap replacement to solidify the holes in the running back situation that plagued last year, out of: Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Laurence Maroney, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Eric Kettani, and Kevin Faulk, who actually ends up making the team.

FlyingElvis
05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
New England: With the addition of Fred Taylor as a theorized stop-gap replacement to solidify the holes in the running back situation that plagued last year, out of: Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Laurence Maroney, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Eric Kettani, and Kevin Faulk, who actually ends up making the team.

This is probably the toughest offseason question for N.E. right now.

With the Patriots habit of playing random defensive players (LBs, DLs, etc.) at the fullback position during the rare times one is used, my guess is that Kettani is not on the active roster. PS, probably. The big question is BJGE, who is not likely to stay in NE if they try to put him on the practice squad. He's not a polished, top flight RB but he's better than the depth many teams have so he's likely to get snatched up if the Pats try to stash him.

So the question is will they carry 5 RBs? It seems unlikely, but w/no FB on the roster that may happen.

If they only carry 4 BJGE is the most likely cut, leaving Morris, Maroney, Faulk and Taylor. But don't be shocked if Maroney is shown the door. I won't like it and neither would he but his career has been plaqued by injuries and he has not lived up to his potential because of that. The problem with cutting Maroney is the lack of explosiveness of the rest of the RBs.

M.O.T.H.
05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Dallas Cowboys: With Felix Jones returning from his injury, where does Tashard Choice fit into the picture, or does he? He looked great after Barber went down and I've always been a fan of his. Is he now in the mix to get some carries, or is he going to spend most his time on the bench like he did the first 12 weeks of the season?

Wade says he'd like to see all three used but, realistically...I dont think Choice is going to have a big role, unless an injury occurs again. There is actually a chance Felix Jones will be starting now, basically splitting carries with Barber. Like when we had Julius and Marion and Marion closed things out late in games. Wade/Jerry want to see Marion return to that closers role once again and they have been toying around with the idea of Felix starting the games. I'm sure this was more Jerry's idea after seeing, Chris Johnson, a similar back have great success for the Titans while starting. So, those two will obviously be seeing a great deal of touches, then you factor in the fact that Garrett loves to air it out and I really dont see Choice getting many touches.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Pittsburgh: When LaMarr Woodley comes on your TV screen, do you immediately blow your load, or just wait for the inevitable Woodley sack?

Dam8610
05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
When's the last time we had two good receivers?

That would be right before Peerless Price left for Atlanta, when he combined with Eric Moulds to form a really solid duo, so...2003? I'm being lazy and not looking it up.

Anyone have any Colts questions? There's quite a few interesting ones to be asked.

Sniper
05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
That would be right before Peerless Price left for Atlanta, when he combined with Eric Moulds to form a really solid duo, so...2003? I'm being lazy and not looking it up.

Anyone have any Colts questions? There's quite a few interesting ones to be asked.

How many rushing yards will Mike Hart get this season? 1,000? 2,000? Dare I say 3,000?

CC.SD
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM

No love for Marvin as a 4th or 5th WR at the vet minimum?
Does Sproles pinwheel his way through Peyton's nightmares?
When is enough, enough with Joseph Addai? Do you think he will bounce back?

Dam8610
05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
No love for Marvin as a 4th or 5th WR at the vet minimum?

Personally, I hope he decides to hang it up, he's had a productive career, is pretty much a first ballot HOF (unless the idiots like King start in with the "signature moment" crap), and would likely come back to a largely reduced role were he to return. The knee injury he suffered against Denver the year before last pretty much did him in IMO, and I'd like to see his name and number up in the rafters, where it deserves to be.

Does Sproles pinwheel his way through Peyton's nightmares?

I knew a question like this was coming when I saw it was you. I think it's actually Scifres having the best game in the history of punting and an OL that's incapable of run blocking that goes through Peyton's nightmares. Hopefully the latter will be fixed this season, and I doubt the former will happen again.

When is enough, enough with Joseph Addai? Do you think he will bounce back?

Addai was a Pro Bowler in 2007 (top vote getter at RB among fans) and became the first RB in NFL history to rush for 1000+ yards without starting a game as well as being a vital part of the championship team in 2006, so I don't think he's on a short leash or has all that much to prove, I really attribute the majority of his poor performance in 2008 to poor OL play, the run blocking was terrible, as evidenced by the Colts being at or near the bottom of the league in YPC all season, which is why I wasn't a huge fan of the Donald Brown pick at first. Upon further review, however, if used properly, I think it could be the best thing for Addai, as well as a great thing for the Colts, because it allows them to use him more like the Eagles use Brian Westbrook, which makes sense since he has quite a bit of experience in both college and the pros at WR and is a solid receiver, but still have the threat to run the ball on the field in Brown. It certainly allows for a lot of creativity and flexibility in the offense if the team decides to use the two that way. Of course, there's also the obvious added bonus of having two talented backs to split the load between, which seems to be a requisite to a good running game in the NFL these days, and was a big part of the championship run for the Colts (one could argue the running game won the Super Bowl as well as the divisional game in that stretch). That's the long winded answer, short answer: he'll be fine, I expect him to return to the form he showed in the previous two seasons with a (hopefully) improved run blocking OL.

Here I was all ready to address questions about the coaching staff changes, I figure that will be the most interesting issue for the team heading into next season.

Dam8610
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
How many rushing yards will Mike Hart get this season? 1,000? 2,000? Dare I say 3,000?

Behind Addai and Brown? I'll say 2,000. :D

SuperMcGee
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM

I guess even the rhetorical questions get answered in a thread like this.
It was 2002, btw.

The answer should've been Lee Evans and Chris Denney about two years ago, but unfortunate circumstances never let it be :(

Cicero
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Is Anthony Gonzalez expected to fill the role of Marvin Harrison as the #2 WR or is he going to stay in the slot?

Dam8610
05-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Is Anthony Gonzalez expected to fill the role of Marvin Harrison as the #2 WR or is he going to stay in the slot?

Gonzalez will, barring injury, be the #2 WR this upcoming season. In the past two seasons, he's played the flanker spot quite a bit, and he's played quite well from that position, no reason to think he can't improve on his production with more targets and opportunities. I think Gonzalez could actually have a breakout year, maybe even a Pro Bowl season should everything fall into place correctly, though I doubt that happens.

It was 2002, btw.

Bah, off by a year, I was torn between 02 and 03, couldn't remember which it was.

BlindSite
05-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Indianapolis: With the loss of Ron Meeks who was able to do so much with relatively little for the defensive side of the ball, what can we expect from the Colt's defense in the new season?

Matthew Jones
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
My thoughts on some questions that seem to be going around for New England:

How is Tom Brady going to do coming back from major knee surgery at 32?

Tom should be fine. The only problem would probably come if he was sacked as many times as Matt Cassel was last year (I believe 49), but I think that had more to do with Cassel not being as quick of a decision-maker as Brady in the offense, and that rate really dropped as the season went on. It'd probably be unrealistic to expect him to throw 50 more TDs, but I think he could still put up a solid 4,000 yard season with 25-30 TDs at a 65% clip or so.

Who's going to be the starting running back?

There probably won't be one, honestly. One thing we do know is that Kevin Faulk is going to be the third down running back. He did outstanding in that capacity last year - 507 yards at 6.1 yards per carry rushing, and nearly 500 yards on 58 catches as well. I also believe he was never tackled for a loss. BenJarvus Green-Ellis probably won't play until there's injuries. Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, and Fred Taylor will probably get equal amounts of carries. If I had to choose, I'd say Taylor starts, and although I love Morris' style of play, I don't think he'll be in too many starting lineups.

What about tight end - Ben Watson, Chris Baker, or Alex Smith?

This is definitely a preseason/camp battle - Ben Watson had an awful year last year, but that could be partly because Tom Brady passed to him a lot more than Cassel did. Matt clanked a few passes off of Watson's facemask at the beginning of the season and largely ignored him afterward. I've heard he's being shopped though and that wouldn't surprise me. Chris Baker is more of a blocker so he'll be #2 most likely, kind of how Graham/Kyle Brady were. Alex Smith I think actually has a good chance to start because the team invested a draft pick in him and they don't want to see that go to waste. I think you see all three next year though, maybe not Watson if he's traded.

Why didn't the team draft a linebacker until the third round?

Your guess is as good as mine. Tyrone McKenzie was a good pick, but the team really should have drafted someone like Rey Maualuga or Everette Brown in the first or second round. They passed up linebackers repeatedly, I guess thinking most of them are two-down guys. I figure Tully-Banta Cain and Pierre Woods only have very limited value, and that's purely in a pass-rush role, so I would have liked to see them get upgraded. Shawn Crable's probably not ready yet, since he went on IR last year (similar to McKenzie) and didn't get any play time. I'm hoping they sign Jason Taylor before the season, or make scheme changes. They could go into the season with a very average linebacker corps - Woods, Mayo, Bruschi, Thomas is my guess, assuming they don't sign someone.

Will Rodney Harrison be back this year?

It's still possible. I'd love to have seen him come back because he's a team leader and a great player, but they seem to have moved on, mostly because of his age, repeated injuries, and decision to wait until June 1st to announce whether or not he was retiring. Patrick Chung has a similar skill-set and they most likely drafted him to be the replacement, lining up over tight ends. They also have Brandon McGowan with some starting experience. He's only average though, and James Sanders is experienced with good intangibles but is not really more than a role player. Chung might not be ready right away, so bringing in Harrison and letting him play and mentor until Chung is ready makes sense. It's sad to say, but you can also kind of expect him to get hurt around midseason.

How will the Patriots do this year?

I'm hoping for a Super Bowl win!

AntoinCD
05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
My thoughts on some questions that seem to be going around for New England:

How is Tom Brady going to do coming back from major knee surgery at 32?

Tom should be fine. The only problem would probably come if he was sacked as many times as Matt Cassel was last year (I believe 49), but I think that had more to do with Cassel not being as quick of a decision-maker as Brady in the offense, and that rate really dropped as the season went on. It'd probably be unrealistic to expect him to throw 50 more TDs, but I think he could still put up a solid 4,000 yard season with 25-30 TDs at a 65% clip or so.

I agree there I'm not overally worried about Brady but it is unreallistic to see him throw 50 TDs again. I would be hoping for closer to 35-40 TDs though as I think the offense in general has gotten better, especially this offseason.

Who's going to be the starting running back?

There probably won't be one, honestly. One thing we do know is that Kevin Faulk is going to be the third down running back. He did outstanding in that capacity last year - 507 yards at 6.1 yards per carry rushing, and nearly 500 yards on 58 catches as well. I also believe he was never tackled for a loss. BenJarvus Green-Ellis probably won't play until there's injuries. Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, and Fred Taylor will probably get equal amounts of carries. If I had to choose, I'd say Taylor starts, and although I love Morris' style of play, I don't think he'll be in too many starting lineups.

It will definitely be a running back by committee effort next year but if I was to guess who would start day one it would be Maroney. It really is do or die for him this year but he will be given the chance.

What about tight end - Ben Watson, Chris Baker, or Alex Smith?

This is definitely a preseason/camp battle - Ben Watson had an awful year last year, but that could be partly because Tom Brady passed to him a lot more than Cassel did. Matt clanked a few passes off of Watson's facemask at the beginning of the season and largely ignored him afterward. I've heard he's being shopped though and that wouldn't surprise me. Chris Baker is more of a blocker so he'll be #2 most likely, kind of how Graham/Kyle Brady were. Alex Smith I think actually has a good chance to start because the team invested a draft pick in him and they don't want to see that go to waste. I think you see all three next year though, maybe not Watson if he's traded.

I see this battle to being very similar to the RB battle. If he's still there Watson will be the starter but he will need to produce on a consistent basis and Alex Smith will be half a step behind waiting to start

Why didn't the team draft a linebacker until the third round?

Your guess is as good as mine. Tyrone McKenzie was a good pick, but the team really should have drafted someone like Rey Maualuga or Everette Brown in the first or second round. They passed up linebackers repeatedly, I guess thinking most of them are two-down guys. I figure Tully-Banta Cain and Pierre Woods only have very limited value, and that's purely in a pass-rush role, so I would have liked to see them get upgraded. Shawn Crable's probably not ready yet, since he went on IR last year (similar to McKenzie) and didn't get any play time. I'm hoping they sign Jason Taylor before the season, or make scheme changes. They could go into the season with a very average linebacker corps - Woods, Mayo, Bruschi, Thomas is my guess, assuming they don't sign someone.

Regarding the possibility of drafting Maualuga I was a little concerned with his ability to play 3 downs but wouldn't have minded him at 34. Belichick has come out and stated that he didn't like the OLB class as there was no 6'4/6'5 guys especially compared to next year when there will be Hardy, Selvie, Romeus, Herzlich, Kindle etc who are all quite tall. Everette Brown is only a generous 6'2 and would probably be better suited to a weakside end anyway. If another LB isn't signed by opening day, be it Jason Taylor, Napoleon Harris etc I would be worried about the LBers.

Will Rodney Harrison be back this year?

It's still possible. I'd love to have seen him come back because he's a team leader and a great player, but they seem to have moved on, mostly because of his age, repeated injuries, and decision to wait until June 1st to announce whether or not he was retiring. Patrick Chung has a similar skill-set and they most likely drafted him to be the replacement, lining up over tight ends. They also have Brandon McGowan with some starting experience. He's only average though, and James Sanders is experienced with good intangibles but is not really more than a role player. Chung might not be ready right away, so bringing in Harrison and letting him play and mentor until Chung is ready makes sense. It's sad to say, but you can also kind of expect him to get hurt around midseason.

I would actually be very surprised if he does come back in a playing capacity. At the minute the safety position is loaded with Merriweather, Chung, Sanders, Tank Williams and McGowan. Now at least one of them probably won't make the 53 man roster even if Harrison does retire.

How will the Patriots do this year?

I'm hoping for a Super Bowl win!

That would be acceptable

Agree with a lot of points made there

Dam8610
05-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Indianapolis: With the loss of Ron Meeks who was able to do so much with relatively little for the defensive side of the ball, what can we expect from the Colt's defense in the new season?

While I think Ron Meeks was underrated among Colts fans, I by no means think that the Colts downgraded in letting him go. Larry Coyer proved he could do well given talent to work with in Denver, and he'll bring something new to the table for the team in that he likes to dial up the blitz, which should take advantage of the skillsets of some of the new starters and fits in with the defensive philosophy tweak Caldwell announced in his introductory press conference. That said, I really wish the team had let him go 2 years back and hired Leslie Frazier as the DC when Minnesota offered him their DC position. As for what to expect from Meeks, expect a lot of zone shells and creative stunts and slants upfront, with blitzes being extremely rare.

CC.SD
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I knew a question like this was coming when I saw it was you. I think it's actually Scifres having the best game in the history of punting and an OL that's incapable of run blocking that goes through Peyton's nightmares. Hopefully the latter will be fixed this season, and I doubt the former will happen again.

Ouch. :D Meant with love!

I agree that Addai is probably not on the short leash but I don't think a first round RB thrown into the mix is a vote of confidence either. Brown will become the starter at some point, which could leave Addai out in the cold fairly easily.

There's an article on NFL.com about how the Colts could be headed down due to some coaching retirements, which is valid but not something I'm a big believer in. As much as I respect O-line coaches, and of course Dungy, I don't believe that it will be enough to slow down the Peyton machine. If the Colts do take a step back this year (yeah right) it will be due to the ferocity of the AFC South or defensive inconsistency.

The Legend
05-13-2009, 03:08 AM
Your starter goes down (Last year Tom Brady) would you give the driver keys to Michael Vick?

Addict
05-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Your starter goes down (Last year Tom Brady) would you give the driver keys to Michael Vick?

no. If I were a GM, Vick would be in the doghouse...Yeah I'm pretty sure that was the worst joke ever

Sniper
05-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Yes. I don't want Kevin Kolb out there.

HawkeyeFan
05-13-2009, 12:04 PM
How is Carriker doing?
Adam Carriker is quite frustrating. During his rookie season he showed promise and made it seem like we made the correct pick. I still remember when he blew through the line against the Vikings and tore down the Running Back. During his rookie season he had plays like that, but now. Ever since then, he's been hurt and inconsistent. So it's really hard to say, so I'll just say INCONSISTENT. It'll be interesting to see what Spagnuolo and Co. can do with him, he's got potential, he just needs to hit it and play with it.

BlindSite
05-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Yes. I don't want Kevin Kolb out there.

If he has a chance of landing a starting gig it's through a starter and backup going down.

CC.SD
05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
If he has a chance of landing a starting gig it's through a starter and backup going down.

Who would win in a fail-off, Kevin Kolb or John Beck?

Malaka
05-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Drew Stanton would own them both...

BlindSite
05-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey stanton is my man-crush. He coulda been somethin.

Borat
05-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Then Alex Smith would *****-slap everyone and claim his crown.

Sniper
05-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Kolb. 34 pass attempts, 4 picks. ******* outstanding.

sbh15
05-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Trick question, you fool. Jake Delhomme.

Sniper
05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Trick question, you fool. Jake Delhomme.

Jake Delhomme did it in a playoff game. Kevin Kolb, for the most part, put up his stats against backup defenses.

Malaka
05-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Hasn't even played a regular season game, on the Detroit Lions and was this guy's water boy?!?!?!?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9hprN39WkFo/SPKkkf2D27I/AAAAAAAAAOA/gR6SP4Lpp4c/s400-R/2008-10-12-lions-vikings-Orlovsky.jpg

I think Stanton takes this one...

Matthew Jones
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Honestly, if Tom Brady was injured again, I would have no problem with the Patriots letting Michael Vick go out there and start at quarterback. He'd have to be playing at the veteran minimum, but as long as the players would rally around him and accept him on the team I'd put him out there. Vick to Moss!

Timbathia
05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
not to mention a finesse for playing out of the shotgun that rex grossman was incapable of and that ron turner didn't feel comfortable throwing a less mobile kyle orton into. that said, i do believe that cutler will be on his feet (thank god), due to the fact he will not have over 600 attempts and will be playing behind arguebly a stronger offensive line and with significant run support, but as the fictional GM, i must implore you that this team is built around our defense, Cutler is just a piece of the pie. This is something he hasn't been accustomed to since his time in the league of having someone else out there capable of making plays to win the game as the experienced group of defenders have.

So the questions to the Bears GM is:

Are you worried that Cutler's gunslinger mentality (in the mould of Favre) combined with below average receiver talent will result in a high number of turnovers that will significantly hurt a team that wins many games based on superior field position (through excellent special teams and defense)?

Will Jay Cutler happily sit back and throw the ball away if the receivers are covered, or will he try and force it?

Marshall, Royal, Stokely and Scheffler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hester +???????
Denvers pass protection >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicagos pass protection

YAYareaRB
05-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Atlanta Falcons: Is Curtis Lofton considered your best defensive player?

BlindSite
05-15-2009, 04:29 AM

That would be sad.

Gay Ork Wang
05-15-2009, 06:47 AM
So the questions to the Bears GM is:

Are you worried that Cutler's gunslinger mentality (in the mould of Favre) combined with below average receiver talent will result in a high number of turnovers that will significantly hurt a team that wins many games based on superior field position (through excellent special teams and defense)?

Will Jay Cutler happily sit back and throw the ball away if the receivers are covered, or will he try and force it?

Marshall, Royal, Stokely and Scheffler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hester +???????
Denvers pass protection >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicagos pass protection
it really is going to show this year. was the Oline so good because of Cutler or was cutler so good because of his Oline? Same with the receivers. Nobody really knows to this point

Caddy
05-15-2009, 06:58 AM

John Abraham >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Curtis Lofton