PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Cut Levi Jones

Splat
05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Bengals Cut Levi Jones (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/06/bengals-cut-levi-jones/)

The Cincinnati Bengals have released veteran left tackle Levi Jones (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/06/bengals-cut-levi-jones/#). The team announced the move earlier today.

Jones was a first-round pick in 2002, and he quickly became a fixture on the left side of the line.

Signed through 2012, Jones was due to earn a base salary of $3 million this year.

Gay Ork Wang
05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
was it because of Cap?

thenewfeature06
05-06-2009, 11:21 AM
wow andrews and now levi, i guess im not too surprized but i think it would have been a better idea to keep him around for andre smith to develop

Splat
05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
He needs to be the Chiefs RT next season.

diabsoule
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
He'll be a Buffalo Bill in 3...2....1...

PalmerToCJ
05-06-2009, 11:57 AM
was it because of Cap?

Between his injuries, general suckiness and the cap hit... It makes sense. Since the end of the season I figured he would be gone. He also was unhappy the last 2 years or so, it makes sense.

regoob2
05-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Werent the Packers interested in him?

PalmerToCJ
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I know the 49ers and Bills have shown interest at some point...

He was an absolute stud leading up to 2006. He hurt his knee and just hasn't been the same since...

Bengals78
05-06-2009, 12:58 PM
He seems like he was suffering from a mental block post-injury. Never really quite got over it and became gun shy. He still has some talent left if a new coach can get him over the mental stuff.

Geo
05-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't know if my numbers were correct, but I calculated only a $650K or so savings in terms of the cap. Which made me think it wouldn't be worth it to cut Jones.

But I suppose the Bengals felt now was the time to cut ties with him.

Pat Sims 90
05-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't know if my numbers were correct, but I calculated only a $650K or so savings in terms of the cap. Which made me think it wouldn't be worth it to cut Jones.

But I suppose the Bengals felt now was the time to cut ties with him.

Nope it saves us 3 million and it is only 500,000 cap hit

And i am glad he is gone now he has been crappy since getting his contract extension

FlyingElvis
05-06-2009, 03:28 PM
That is an interesting development. Who plays opposite Smith now? Smith at LT must be a lock now.

Pat Sims 90
05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
That is an interesting development. Who plays opposite Smith now? Smith at LT must be a lock now.

It will be Collins are 4th round draft pick last year He played inplace of Jones Last year and He Held his own right now i see Collins at LT and Smith at RT

FlyingElvis
05-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks. So Smith gets penciled in as the starting RT but you're likely looking at an open competition for the LT spot, right?

I just hope they get it together well enough to keep Carson in the game. It seems we can't get a full season without one of the top flight QBs getting broken.

StripedWalrus
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks. So Smith gets penciled in as the starting RT but you're likely looking at an open competition for the LT spot, right?

I just hope they get it together well enough to keep Carson in the game. It seems we can't get a full season without one of the top flight QBs getting broken.

read the previous post.

HawkeyeFan
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Will he come expensive?

And if the Rams were to look into him, what could he provide to rookie RT Jason Smith?

StripedWalrus
05-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Will he come expensive?

And if the Rams were to look into him, what could he provide to rookie RT Jason Smith?

Well a season or so ago Levi was a Locker room cancer saying that he didnt want to be a Bengal and wanted to be traded. I dont think he would give much in the way of leadership. Basically you would be getting a LT past his prime with bad knees and no leadership capabilities.

HawkeyeFan
05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a Scott Linehan pick-up, not a Steve Spagnuolo one, thanks :)

Pat Sims 90
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Will he come expensive?

I don't know how much he will be wanting but i don't think it can be to much with his injury problems.

I think he could be a mentor to Jason Smith he is a pretty cool guy in person i met him at a hotel at the Bengals Training Camp in 2006 But at one time he was considered one of the best T in the league so i could see him as a mentor were ever he ends up and either being a decent starter if he gets over his injuries or providing good depth where ever he goes

FlyingElvis
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
read the previous post.

I did. I'm just wondering if it's a lock that Collins stays at LT. A 4th round pick that "held his own" makes me think he's less than a lock to be a better LT than the potential stud that is Smith.

Bengals78
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
I did. I'm just wondering if it's a lock that Collins stays at LT. A 4th round pick that "held his own" makes me think he's less than a lock to be a better LT than the potential stud that is Smith.

Its who he held his own against. Im pretty sure he gave up roughly 2 or 3 sacks against the 3 best defenses in the NFL (Pitt, Bal & Philly).

FlyingElvis
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Its who he held his own against. Im pretty sure he gave up roughly 2 or 3 sacks against the 3 best defenses in the NFL (Pitt, Bal & Philly).

Gotcha. And obviously the FO has enough faith in him to cut Levi, so there's that.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/dmc27sinned/smiley/beerchug.gif

Bengals78
05-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Gotcha. And obviously the FO has enough faith in him to cut Levi, so there's that.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/dmc27sinned/smiley/beerchug.gif

yeah, he has a lot of potential. he could have been a much higher draft pick had he stayed in college from what Ive heard.

Splat
05-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Broncos Taking An Interest In Levi Jones (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/06/broncos-taking-an-interest-in-levi-jones/)

But as a back up Bills and Det have also been rumored to have shown an interest.

AJHawk50
05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I have a question for you Bengals fans. What is your current depth chart as far as offensive lineman are concerned?

Bengals78
05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I have a question for you Bengals fans. What is your current depth chart as far as offensive lineman are concerned?

Well it depends on where Andre Smith plays.

My personal favorite would be:

LT - Anthony Collins - Scott Kooistra
LG - Andrew Whitworth - Nate Livings
C -Jonathon Luigs - Kyle Cook - Dan Stantucci
RG - Bobbie Williams - Nate Livings
RT - Andre Smith - David Roland

We have a couple other guys, but those are most of the guys I see playing (One of the centers being PS by season starts or at G)

Whitworth could bump to tackle if need be and Livings would take over his G spot.

AJHawk50
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the information, and one more thing...your guys punter going to be this Huber?

lost33cause
05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the information, and one more thing...your guys punter going to be this Huber?

Yes we cut the other 2 Punters we had on our roster including our punter of 5 years.

PalmerToCJ
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I really think Collins should be our LT. He played well there last season and most seem to think Andre Smith is best suited for RT.

Send Benson straight at Smith/Williams while Collins/Whitworth can keep the heat off Carson. Then we don't have Ghiaciuc in the middle which obviously helps...

Bengals78
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I really think Collins should be our LT. He played well there last season and most seem to think Andre Smith is best suited for RT.

Send Benson straight at Smith/Williams while Collins/Whitworth can keep the heat off Carson. Then we don't have Ghiaciuc in the middle which obviously helps...

The only scary point is that we have an unknown quality at C.

lost33cause
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I see Smith playing LT. Didn't Collins play RT in college anyhow? If he did wouldn't it seem fit to put him back to a place that he's done before rather than have Smith learn a position he's never played before?

StripedWalrus
05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I see Smith playing LT. Didn't Collins play RT in college anyhow? If he did wouldn't it seem fit to put him back to a place that he's done before rather than have Smith learn a position he's never played before?

Thats the huge debate right now on Collins. He seems he can play both LT and RT. He can def do both...it just depends on if Smith is better at LT or RT. I think they will slot him first.

The team feels confident enough to cut Jones...so they must feel that if anything happens they can move Collins or Smith to either side and Whitworth to the side that isnt being filled.

ThePudge
05-09-2009, 12:41 PM

It's not as simple as that for the Bengals due to the fact that the team likes to use their linemen in a variety of places and positions. They like to think every lineman they have on the roster can play two or three positions.

What is settled is the starting Right Guard spot (Bobbie Williams).

The Center job will go to Kyle Cook/Dan Santucci or rookie Jonathan Luigs with Cook looking to have a small advantage.

What's left are three positions that seem unclear.

If the team doesn't feel Andre Smith or Anthony Collins is ready to assume the starting left tackle job, it will mean Smith at RT, Nate Livings at LG, and Andrew Whitworth at LT.

If Andre Smith wins the LT job as many expect him to, Anthony Collins will start at RT, and Andrew Whitworth will control the LG spot.

If the team feels comfortable with Anthony Collins at Left Tackle then it's likely Andre Smith will man the right side and Andrew Whitworth will be in at Left Guard.

Unclear at the moment. Sorry my answer is a bit vague

GhostDeini
05-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I see my man BIG Andre Smith already getting guys fired. I felt he really was best OT in the draft, lets remember he was the only junior outta the bunch. He has tremendous upside.